PDA

View Full Version : Bob Murphy's Hall of Fame Speech

Prince Imperial
29-06-2010, 11:11 PM
This brilliant speech is now available on our club's website. It was a pleasure to see it live.

Watch it.

westdog54
30-06-2010, 01:49 AM
I'm jealous you saw it live, fine speech.

He really is a true wordsmith.

LostDoggy
30-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Very emotional, very inspirational. Marvellous orator. Great story-teller. Very talented man, our Bob.

AndrewP6
01-07-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm certain to be alone on this, and I'm bracing for the virtual-barbs about to flung in my direction... but I was only moderately impressed. It was an OK speech, but I thought it was a bit...well... contrived. Knowing how genuine a bloke Murph is, I may just be a bit cynical, but it seemed just like the stuff he writes in the paper - interesting, but that's it. Didn't really give me the chills or anything. Maybe it was one of those "You had to be there" moments. Or maybe I'm just a miserable old so-and-so.

LostDoggy
01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Just had a look and listen. I thought the speech was very good, and I particularly liked his reference to the great man, Chris Grant. It's this type of thing that we don't often get to hear about, how a simple letter, handwritten and obviously heartfelt, touched a young man as he prepared for his first game in the red, white and blue. I'm sure that's why our game, and our club, exist and survive - the comraderie, team spirit - call it what you may. It just makes my heart swell with pride really :o

LostDoggy
01-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm certain to be alone on this, and I'm bracing for the virtual-barbs about to flung in my direction... but I was only moderately impressed. It was an OK speech, but I thought it was a bit...well... contrived. Knowing how genuine a bloke Murph is, I may just be a bit cynical, but it seemed just like the stuff he writes in the paper - interesting, but that's it. Didn't really give me the chills or anything. Maybe it was one of those "You had to be there" moments. Or maybe I'm just a miserable old so-and-so.

You have every right to your opinion....however wrong it may be!! I am sure that the electronic version of the speech is fine, but as someone that attended the night I must admit that I now have a bit of a man crush on our Bob. The speech was outstanding...third only as a highlight of what was a fantastic night, to the great Charlie and he of Hunters fame(Mark Seymour).

LostDoggy
01-07-2010, 12:58 PM
You had to be there and I am so damn happy that I went. And to think that I thought twice about it. The speech was great and I thought Murph did a wonderful job and I felt so much pride for our boys and it showed team spirit and an insight into the club from a very personal angle.

AndrewP6
01-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Fair enough, I thought it was just OK. Liked the bit about Bob and Connie Matthews, and the Chris Grant story was OK. But the use of phrases like "tribal hymn" and "rhythm of drums from an ancient tribe" was a bit newspaper-ish (not a real word, I know!) to me. And music is "my thing" ;) Just went a few minutes long, for mine. He's a top bloke though.

Greystache
01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Fair enough, I thought it was just OK. Liked the bit about Bob and Connie Matthews, and the Chris Grant story was OK. But the use of phrases like "tribal hymn" and "rhythm of drums from an ancient tribe" was a bit newspaper-ish

I wasn't there so I won't comment about how inspiring the speech was, but the tribal hymn part sounded like something that moron Harry O’Brien would say thinking it made him sound intelligent, and Murphy is an intellectual giant compared to that plank of wood with a voice.

LostDoggy
01-07-2010, 03:27 PM
You had to be there and I am so damn happy that I went. And to think that I thought twice about it. The speech was great and I thought Murph did a wonderful job and I felt so much pride for our boys and it showed team spirit and an insight into the club from a very personal angle.
I to thought it was a bit expensive, but so glad I went, was worth every penny and more. I thought Bob's speech was straight from the heart and inspirational, was only outdone by Charlie Sutton. Charlie was the best thing I have ever seen for our club. Teddy Whitten's lap of honour and funeral was very special, they were more at a state level.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I to thought it was a bit expensive, but so glad I went, was worth every penny and more. I thought Bob's speech was straight from the heart and inspirational, was only outdone by Charlie Sutton. Charlie was the best thing I have ever seen for our club. Teddy Whitten's lap of honour and funeral was very special, they were more at a state level.

Charlie's speech was quite inspirational and had a very emotional impact on the 1,300 guests who attended. The choice of Robert Murphy was a good one in what was an excellent night. You couldn't help but feel proud of the great efforts that the Club went to in making it such a memorable occasion.

LostDoggy
01-07-2010, 03:46 PM
You have every right to your opinion....however wrong it may be!! I am sure that the electronic version of the speech is fine, but as someone that attended the night I must admit that I now have a bit of a man crush on our Bob. The speech was outstanding...third only as a highlight of what was a fantastic night, to the great Charlie and he of Hunters fame(Mark Seymour).

Yeah? Well, take a number and get to the end of the line. I even gave him a birthday present before anyone else did so phlgghhh!! :p;):)

Desipura
01-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I wasn't there so I won't comment about how inspiring the speech was, but the tribal hymn part sounded like something that moron Harry O’Brien would say thinking it made him sound intelligent, and Murphy is an intellectual giant compared to that plank of wood with a voice.
I suggest you read his article from the Age that I posted a while back about when his father committed suicide. It just might make you eat your words.

Greystache
01-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I suggest you read his article from the Age that I posted a while back about when his father committed suicide. It just might make you eat your words.

Perhaps you could provide a link if you're that proud of it

Desipura
01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Not proud as I did not write it. Seeing as you cannot/will not locate it, I will do it tomorrow when I get a chance.

Greystache
01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Not proud as I did not write it. Seeing as you cannot/will not locate it, I will do it tomorrow when I get a chance.

I meant proud you'd be able to "make me eat my words", I figured you must have it on hand.

azabob
01-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah? Well, take a number and get to the end of the line. I even gave him a birthday present before anyone else did so phlgghhh!! :p;):)

Well DaDruid and WM my user name says it all, and for the record I was Bob when he still was Rob! ;)

AndrewP6
01-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Here 'tis...

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5367&highlight=Harry