PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs Training

FlightoftheCallanWards
30-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Heading down tomorrow first the first time in many a years. Yet to be down to Whitten oval with the new developments...

If I recall correctly then West Footscray is the station to get off? Anything else I really need to know?

Ill be the teenager with a couple of mates donning the Huddo scarf ;)

LostDoggy
30-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Wear something warm - Whitten Oval can be a cold windy place! ;)

LostDoggy
30-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Yes, West Footscray is the correct station. Enjoy!! :)

mighty_west
30-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Wear something warm - Whitten Oval can be a cold windy place! ;)

There was only one colder & more windy than Whitten Oval, and that was VFL Park...but as cold & windy Whitten Oval did get, bloody loved it.

BulldogBelle
30-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Although not an AFL venue, Burbank Oval (Willi's home ground) is the coldest place I have ever watched footy at. When the breeze picks up it feels like Antarctica!

LostDoggy
30-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Although not an AFL venue, Burbank Oval (Willi's home ground) is the coldest place I have ever watched footy at. When the breeze picks up it feels like Antarctica!

You should try playing there in Mid August....now that's cold!!

Greystache
30-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Not a problem from my corporate box overlooking the ground (my loungeroom) ;)

LostDoggy
30-06-2010, 03:23 PM

Half an hour beforehand, that's where the breeze was.

FlightoftheCallanWards
30-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Cheers Magic Griffen and Suz32. Already had the warm clothes ready to go :)
Yeah I have heard that Burbank is a mightily cold place. Still need to get down there to watch Willy also...

Oh and with training is there anywhere to have a bit of a kick? Im assuming you can't but can you go on the ground after they go inside?

Cheers :)

LostDoggy
01-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Oh and with training is there anywhere to have a bit of a kick? Im assuming you can't but can you go on the ground after they go inside?

Cheers :)

The oval itself is open for unorganised sports/training (kick to kick etc) outside of any training by the Bulldogs. Unless the ground is booked for something else, kick away to your heart's content!!

LostDoggy
01-07-2010, 09:05 AM
There was only one colder & more windy than Whitten Oval, and that was VFL Park...but as cold & windy Whitten Oval did get, bloody loved it.

Oh yes, VFL park was freezing too, probably wetter in my memory as well. Seemed there was always a rain cloud over there! Don't get me wrong, I have wonderful memories of Whitten Oval - I think I was tougher then - didn't mind sitting in the cold and wet so much. I recall two games in particular, EJ's last against Hawthorn - and the last game held at WO against West Coast - both extremely wet (probably West Coast was more rain) but I shall never forget watching and listening to EJ standing in the mud, in the pouring rain, and me bawling because he was not going to play anymore. I feel privileged to have that memory actually, and proud!:o

Twodogs
01-07-2010, 01:56 PM

You should try playing there in Mid August....now that's cold!!

Half an hour beforehand, that's where the breeze was.

Meh!

Willy Tech in the '70s. Sports oval. 8am on a July or August morning.

That was bloody cold!

Greystache
01-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Meh!

That was bloody cold!

My Dad went to Willi Tech about the same time, he reckons the recently arrived imigrants at the school had been sold the dream "move to sunny Australia", some them wanted to look into their legal options!! :D

Twodogs
01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
My Dad went to Willi Tech about the same time, he reckons the recently arrived imigrants at the school had been sold the dream "move to sunny Australia", some them wanted to look into their legal options!! :D

Heh! "Sunny" Australia...

My best mate at school was born in a little village in Macedonia and he moved here with the rest of his family because the Balkans is such a politically unstable place. They arrived in Australia on November 11th 1975, just in time to find out the PM had been sacked and the prevailing view was that Australia was going to heel in a handbasket. They nearly turned the taxi around and went straight back.

mjp
01-07-2010, 02:58 PM

North Ballarat isn't much better.

Cyberdoggie
01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
In terms of Wind Chill factor Williamstown wins hands down. Although i'm sure there might be options along ocean like Warnambool or Lakes Entrance?.

For cold temperatures, I'm sure Tassie has some candidates but Nth Ballarat is always 2-3 degrees cooler than Melbourne. Kinglake is known as being a horrible ground to play at, and it can snow there on occasions. I'd imagine places like Bright, Mansfield and Noojee in the foothills wouldn't be too warm, although i'd bet the winner may be in Cooma NSW. At 850m above sea level you would want some warm showers after the game.

I think VFL was always cold because of it's location. It sits up on a crest just above the valley that is Scoresby, Ferntree Gully. That area generally gets more rain that the rest of melbourne. The ground design didn't help either. Open flat areas with little shelter adds to the wind tunnel effect.

mighty_west
01-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Meh!

That was bloody cold!

Yes, Willy Tech in the 80's in winter was bloody cold, grew up around the corner, although the Point Gellibrand girls school cricket oval was down right nasty, right on the water, and as many rocks & snakes [in summer] than grass patches.

mighty_west
01-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Oh yes, VFL park was freezing too, probably wetter in my memory as well. Seemed there was always a rain cloud over there! Don't get me wrong, I have wonderful memories of Whitten Oval - I think I was tougher then - didn't mind sitting in the cold and wet so much. I recall two games in particular, EJ's last against Hawthorn - and the last game held at WO against West Coast - both extremely wet (probably West Coast was more rain) but I shall never forget watching and listening to EJ standing in the mud, in the pouring rain, and me bawling because he was not going to play anymore. I feel privileged to have that memory actually, and proud!:o

The coldest day i ever experienced at Whitten was 1995, v Brisbane Bears, was a game we should have won by plenty, but was just a scrappy win in the end, they kept on hitting the boundary line, the rain & wind was just unbelievable that day, and i ended up with pneumonia. :o

Sockeye Salmon
01-07-2010, 07:37 PM
The coldest day i ever experienced at Whitten was 1995, v Brisbane Bears, was a game we should have won by plenty, but was just a scrappy win in the end, they kept on hitting the boundary line, the rain & wind was just unbelievable that day, and i ended up with pneumonia. :o

We had a bloke near us that day dressed in shorts and hawaiian shirt, baracking for the Bears and calling out, "come on ref, give us a go!"

I just turned to him and said, "you're not from 'round here, are you?"

I played juniors against Macedon, that place would give any of them a run for their money.

Rocco Jones
01-07-2010, 07:46 PM
We had a bloke near us that day dressed in shorts and hawaiian shirt, baracking for the Bears and calling out, "come on ref, give us a go!"

I just turned to him and said, "you're not from 'round here, are you?"

Haha. I shouldn't read such posts when in a library.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Coldest place to watch footy would have to be Canberra I saw the Dogs flog the Roos a few years ago and I can honestly say we almost left at half time, the only reason we didn't was that i was trying to get on the TV and as luke has it I was in the 3rd quarter.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Footage of the Dogs training today on AFL Teams focusing on Eade seeming to be giving the group a fair old bake. Now it may've just been Rocket giving them a gee-up.
I sure hope that is not a sign that the boys are flat?
Any observers down at training see this?

FlightoftheCallanWards
02-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Footage of the Dogs training today on AFL Teams focusing on Eade seeming to be giving the group a fair old bake. Now it may've just been Rocket giving them a gee-up.
Hmmm didn't really catch a glimpse of that although I commented to a mate that they did look a bit flat. Didn't seem to be a whole lot of talk amongst the boys. Hopefully it was just a gee up.

Also Thanks to the lady who came up to say hi. Sorry for not having a chat as I was busy trying to organise many things. Great to see fellow WOOFERS :)

LostDoggy
02-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Doesn't matter where you are. It's Melbourne, It's Winter, It's Bloody Cold

Cyberdoggie
02-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Perhaps he's worried about them being flat. Often happens after a week off.