PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R14 Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn

BulldogBelle
30-06-2010, 05:51 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Friday night's game at the MCG against Hawthorn.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 24 points
BOG : Adam Cooney
Barry Hall to kick the first goal

LostDoggy
30-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Dogs have a full strength line up and win by 37 points
Griffin will play well on a sloppy MCG and get BOG
Johnson for first goal
CARN DOGGIES!!!

Mantis
30-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Dogs have a full strength line up and win by 37 points
Griffin will play well on a sloppy MCG and get BOG
Johnson for first goal
CARN DOGGIES!!!

We do?

What's the team line-up?

Greystache
30-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Dogs by 36 points
BOG- Adam Cooney
First Goal- Hall

LostDoggy
30-06-2010, 10:49 PM
We do?

What's the team line-up?

With only Cordy, Markovic and Thorne our only injured players, you would imagine that the team which is released would be full strength.

Greystache
30-06-2010, 10:53 PM
With only Cordy, Markovic and Thorne our only injured players, you would imagine that the team which is released would be full strength.

Assuming Higgins is right, full strength you'd say, probably not full fitness for a few more weeks though.

Mantis
01-07-2010, 08:58 AM

Even though our injury list looks good it is still to be determined if our full strength team will be selected for this weeks match. From our last game all of Ward, Higgins, Williams & Akermanis didn't play and each of these are thereabouts for our best 22.

I guess we find out at 5pm which of these will play this week (Aker won't as he has to play 2 games for Williamstown)

Go_Dogs
01-07-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm tipping the Dogs in a tight one, kicking away to win by 17 points.

BOG Hudson
First goal Giansiracusa

AndrewP6
01-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Dogs by 16
BOG Griffen
First goal Bazza!

lemmon
01-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Dogs by 12

BOG- Lake
First Goal- Gia

Doggy
01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Dogs by 36
BOG Griffen
First goal Johnno

Bumper Bulldogs
01-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Dogs by 6 points due to the wet conditions

BOG Lake for killing Buddy
First goal Higgo, welcome back son!

LostDoggy
02-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Dogs by 6 points due to the wet conditions

BOG Lake for killing Buddy
First goal Higgo, welcome back son!

Oh, joy, oh joy! Won't that be wonderful if Lake gives Buddy-BigHead a bath:D

Okay,
Dogs by 18 points in a tight one
First goal - Bazza
BOG - Griffen

LostDoggy
02-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I've already kicked the 1st goal. managed an MCC ticket.
Heavy Beer. Warm Bars.
Ward & Higgins back in the team.
Friday Nite at the G. Wot more could ya ask for.

Dammit gotta work Sat morn.

LostDoggy
02-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Dogs by 33
Bog: Harbrow if played in middle
Fg: ward if he starts on field

Bumper Bulldogs
02-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Oh, joy, oh joy! Won't that be wonderful if Lake gives Buddy-BigHead a bath:D

Yes it would and it's on the cards I feel, the weather is starting to cloud over 6 hours before the game.

w3design
02-07-2010, 02:17 PM
I hope Hahn\Johno\Higgins have their kicking boots on. Although Stack and Hill did not win much contested ball they did convert well.

LostDoggy
02-07-2010, 02:21 PM
I think it will be a draw.
BOG: Harbrow
1st goal: Gilbee

AndrewP6
02-07-2010, 04:10 PM
i think it will be a draw.
Bog: Harbrow
1st goal: Gilbee

Extra time! EXTRA TIME!!! :)

Cyberdoggie
02-07-2010, 04:11 PM
The rain has come down so I think an inside midfielder like Boyd is most likely.
Also Griffen seems to enjoy playing in the wet.
First goal to Brad Johnson, probably a kick off the ground.
Dogs by 24points

FlightoftheCallanWards
02-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Dogs by 1
BOG: Griffen
1st Goal: Merlin

Ozza
02-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Dogs by 15 points.
BOG: Teflon Griffen
1st Goal: Bradley J!

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Cracking even game to half time.

Injury concerns: Reid and Minson - anyone have any news?

Ghost Dog
02-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Hawks mids getting too much possession. Come on Boys
Re 1st Quarter: Great Mark Will! almost a hanger from the big fella.
Who does the cross body snap better than Barry? Unreal.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Cracking even game to half time.

Injury concerns: Reid and Minson - anyone have any news?

Reid is one tough fella. Has injured both of his shoulders it would seem, hads treatment twice, and went straight back into the thick of it.

Minson-looks like his done something bad to his ankle, taken off the ground by two trainers with arms round their shoulders and not putting any weight on his ankle at all.

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
From a radio call, it seems we have no forward defensive pressure again.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Will has run back out for the 2nd half so that's good news.
They are currently showing footage of Reid getting both shoulders heavily strapped.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 10:08 PM
From a radio call, it seems we have no forward defensive pressure again.

I guess that's true, however I think it's a lack of leg speed, not lack of effort.
The main problem for us so far is not taking advantage of clear breaks going forward, not hitting targets regularly.

Effort all over the park is very good.
Both teams are going to be sore.

Drunken Bum
02-07-2010, 10:14 PM
what are the conditions like? they havent mentioned it on the radio

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
We have clear ascendency in clearances and a very contested ball, but we are letting ourselves down with our disposal going forward. Last 4 times forward with clear break, we've failed to hit a one on one target inside 50, and have turned it over.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 10:17 PM
what are the conditions like? they havent mentioned it on the radio

Cold and damp, but no rain.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2010, 10:22 PM
We have clear ascendency in clearances and a very contested ball, but we are letting ourselves down with our disposal going forward. Last 4 times forward with clear break, we've failed to hit a one on one target inside 50, and have turned it over.

I'm watching it on the falsh app. Forward entries are a real issue.
If we can only teach Grant to kick, he will have all the aces

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm watching it on the falsh app.

What's that?

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
How is Skipper going?

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 10:30 PM
BTW, absolute pleasure to listen to Chris Grant's comments - intelligent and fair, in contrast to Parkin.

How have Ward and Higgins gone so far?

Ghost Dog
02-07-2010, 10:37 PM
What's that?
AFL live

Have it on the TV but its delayed. So watching it on www.afl.com.au to get it live.

Higgins has absolutely butchered the ball. It's disappointing. Reid looked like he was in a lot of pain but is it one shoulder or both? A diabetic with bad shoulders. Must have a lot to think about! good to see him on the field finally!

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 10:40 PM
AFL live

Have it on the TV but its delayed. So watching it on www.afl.com.au to get it live.

Eh? Are you overseas?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 10:40 PM
BTW, absolute pleasure to listen to Chris Grant's comments - intelligent and fair, in contrast to Parkin.

How have Ward and Higgins gone so far?

Ward has been very hard at it and done some good things, however his kicking into the forward 50 has been ordinary.
Higgins hasn't done alot, and perhaps I'm just looking for it, but his disposal by foot has been poor.

It's a strange game, as I think by and large we look the better team, but have not been able to get a break on them. Every time we get a goal they get one right away.

Picken has been fantastic, and Gia, , Harbrow, and have been very good. Woods run has been very good.
Morris and Lake have done very well also.
Coone yand Griff in patches.
Loved Boyd and Cross's game in close

Hudson has been important in stemming Hawthorns initial ascendancy in the middle.

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Aside from some madness resulting in a 50 m penalty, hasn't Lake been good?

So far, Lake 1, Franklin 0.

Drunken Bum
02-07-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm watching it on the falsh app. Forward entries are a real issue.
If we can only teach Grant to kick, he will have all the aces

i dont even bother with live streaming the internet connection in Cambodia is atrocious i struggle with streaming radio let alone video.

the game starts here on TV in 20 mins, so game will be just about to end, if it is still pretty close i am not sure if i will switch off and watch it or not, i hate not knowing the score live but will make watching it a bit more interesting. sounds like a cracker of a game, hasn't been a margin over 12 points has there?

Ghost Dog
02-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Eh? Are you overseas?

I don't have foxtel etc. Just channel Ten
GO DOGS! hang in there.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Gees, we've dominated so far in the last, yet the Hawks have been the only team to score a goal, with two and are now in front.
We will kick ourselves if we lose this, we should've kicked a couple early on.

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Looks like Hawks are coming home? :(

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Our recent inaccuracy killing us?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Our recent inaccuracy killing us?

Murph great goal! 3 points in front with 11 minutes to go.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Come on Doggies. Bring it home.

bornadog
02-07-2010, 10:59 PM
I am overseas at the moment, listening on radio. can't get the live tv going?

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Whatever the result, from the radio call this looks like one of the best games of the year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Damn!
Hodge goals.
We are really bad with our set ups in defense from ball ups and throw ins.

And now we just messed up a simple goal. Higgins totally blew that opportunity.

Looks like Reid has really done his shoulder now.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Come on Dogs. One more goal boys

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:05 PM
The ABC radio guys are barred up over Boyd - justified?

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Johnno run down, and buggers his achilles.

Not looking good now.

bornadog
02-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Why the hell didn't we play Williams on Roughead.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Gees we were lucky there.
Roughead could've sealed that, missed everything.
We have blown so many opportunities in this last opportunity, just cracked under the pressure.

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Franklin goal. We're ****ed now.

Why can't we win these tight mental tough contests?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Gone. 3minutes and 30 to go. 9 points down now.
Terrible result.

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:09 PM
We have blown so many opportunities in this last opportunity, just cracked under the pressure.

If we can't fix that, it's why this side won't win the flag.

bornadog
02-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Hawks wasting time

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 11:11 PM
EVery bloody challenge this year, we've failed.
Every single one.......
I'd better stop now...

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Gone. 3minutes and 30 to go. 9 points down now.
Terrible result.

Yep, we're chokers. Blood the youngsters now, this year is cooked.

Again.

bornadog
02-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Goal, go Dogs pinch it back

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:15 PM
EVery bloody challenge this year, we've failed.
Every single one.......
I'd better stop now...

Why? A bit of bloody reality check can't hurt. I said before the season started there was something wrong with this team.

I was right. :(

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Goal, go Dogs pinch it back

We're too soft to win the close ones.

Curly5
02-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Whatever the result, from the radio call this looks like one of the best games of the year.

Gee, I love being on the losing end of the "best" games. :mad: They are NOT the best if we lose. The BEST games are the ones you want to replay over and over.

Forward line dysfunctional. Poor skills at crucial times. Not strong enough in contests. Tackles did not stick. Poor decisions. Higgins has a long way to go.

We can kiss Top Four goodbye, and with it, the flag. :(

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Gee, I love being on the losing end of the "best" games. :mad: They are NOT the best if we lose. The BEST games are the ones you want to replay over and over.

I suspect that you or me or any other Dog fans won't be playing too many of this season's games then. :(

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 11:23 PM

Forward line dysfunctional. Poor skills at crucial times. Not strong enough in contests. Tackles did not stick. Poor decisions. Higgins has a long way to go.

We can kiss Top Four goodbye, and with it, the flag. :(

I was very skeptical of Higgins inclusion this week. Prior to his injury his form had been poor.
His confidence looks shot at the moment, and his stuff up in the last quarter when it looked like a goal was his for the begging was the icing on the crap cake.

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Dunno that the Reid selection was real flash either.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Dunno that the Reid selection was real flash either.

I thought he competed very well. but his disposal was very poor. Having said that he was under significant duress with both of his shoulders shot.
Very brave effort to continue and to go in hard still.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2010, 11:29 PM
To cap it off, I would not be surprised if Lake gets a week or two for his charge on Buddy after he kicked the sealer.

LostDoggy
02-07-2010, 11:31 PM
We cant beat teams above us...........We cant beat teams around us. We are done!!

LostDoggy
02-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I listened to the game over here in the West on ABC radio. Mitchell and Rioli killed us in the last, not convinced Higgins and Johnno are anywhere near fit!!

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:40 PM
To cap it off, I would not be surprised if Lake gets a week or two for his charge on Buddy after he kicked the sealer.

Doesn't really matter now, does it?

We cant beat teams above us...........We cant beat teams around us. We are done!!

Yep, we're done. Play the kids now, and look forward to the next few years.

****, I hate losing games like that this. I'd rather be hammered, like the first Lions game.

Even the ****ing Tigers are looking better than us, now.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Gees, we've dominated so far in the last, yet the Hawks have been the only team to score a goal, with two and are now in front.
We will kick ourselves if we lose this, we should've kicked a couple early on.

Looks like the Saints match all over again

aker39
02-07-2010, 11:47 PM
. not convinced Higgins and Johnno are anywhere near fit!!

I'm absolutely convinced that they are not anywhere near it.
Higgins needs to be brought back a rung or 2. I think he's starting to believe some of the things written about him the last couple of years.

mighty_west
02-07-2010, 11:50 PM

****, I hate losing games like that this. I'd rather be hammered, like the first Lions game.

Off course it matters if he gets suspended, Lake is a crucial part of our team, going to be hard to crack the top 4 now, but you never give up hope.

Which kids do you think should play? Grant? Ward? Wood? Reid?......no wait!

Addison & Stack are depth players at this stage, Stack has been given opportunties, Hill is very hit & miss, which other kids should get a game?

GVGjr
02-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Why? A bit of bloody reality check can't hurt. I said before the season started there was something wrong with this team.

I was right. :(

I'm not sure why you would be saying there is something wrong with the side especially given the performance they put on but I guess if you are always looking to find fault then....mission complete.

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Off course it matters if he gets suspended, Lake is a crucial part of our team, going to be hard to crack the top 4 now, but you never give up hope.

Which kids do you think should play? Grant? Ward? Wood? Reid?......no wait!

Addison & Stack are depth players at this stage, Stack has been given opportunties, Hill is very hit & miss, which other kids should get a game?

Argue your points if you want, but sorry. I'm shattered tonight. We're stuffed.

Dry Rot
02-07-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure why you would be saying there is something wrong with the side especially given the performance they put on but I guess if you are always looking to find fault then....mission complete.

Performance they put on? Yet again, when it counted, we were short of the mark.

Not the first time this season, or even since I've followed the Dogs since 1998.

mighty_west
03-07-2010, 12:00 AM

Mate, we all are, we are all shattered, there is no more frustrating loss than one like tonight, as Doggies supporters,we are all used to it, which makes it all some damn frustrating.

But sometimes knee jerk reactions on here are as frustrating as results like tonight, especially when there is still hope.

Bumper Bulldogs
03-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Well apart from the Loss we can take away the fact we should have won, It just needed a couple of better forward entry's, A couple of better shots at goal. someone to go and play on Hodge or just a little of Luck.

This is a time that the side needs to dig in deep and do some sole searching, I still think we can win the GF if we get their.

I did think that Cooney going to Hodge after 1/2 time was a good call but didn't fall our way.

Curly5
03-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Would be surprised if anything happened, although the MRP are so unpredictable. Buddy played it up for a couple of seconds but it was definitely "low impact".

mighty_west
03-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Not the first time this season, or even since I've followed the Dogs since 1998.

Try supporting the Dogs since 1969....:p

Dry Rot
03-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Try supporting the Dogs since 1969....:p

Get your partner to hide the razor blades!

EasternWest
03-07-2010, 12:02 AM

This is ridiculous.

This I can understand.

I'd like to think our season isn't stuffed, given that I thought our effort was good tonight. But it will be hard to get where we want when we haven't posted enough wins.

GVGjr
03-07-2010, 12:03 AM
A couple of the things that stood out to me tonight is the basic skills errors and the turnovers killed us. To some extent the Hawks will pressure sides into those sorts of errors but we should have handled it better.
Both Reid and Wood coughed the ball up too much.
I'm really impressed with Woods presence in a contest but he does have some work to do on his kicking skills.
Shame that Reid just couldn't get an extended run in the game having to work through a few injuries.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-07-2010, 12:04 AM

It's not the effort that's the problem. In fact that's the thing that makes it so frustrating tonight, for 3 and a bit quarters, I thought their effort was the most consistent it's been this year against a good opposition.
It's the skills that let us down at key points.

mighty_west
03-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Get your partner to hide the razor blades!

No blades required, you just learn to harden the f up!...:)

GVGjr
03-07-2010, 12:08 AM

You haven't even seen the game.

Like all of the supporters I'm disappointed in the result and the fact that we have come up short on the big stage again but some of your comments in this thread are just overly emotional.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-07-2010, 12:09 AM
A couple of the things that stood out to me tonight is the basic skills errors and the turnovers killed us. To some extent the Hawks will pressure sides into those sorts of errors but we should have handled it better.
Both Reid and Wood coughed the ball up too much.
I'm really impressed with Woods presence in a contest but he does have some work to do on his kicking skills.
Shame that Reid just couldn't get an extended run in the game having to work through a few injuries.

There's alot of positives to work with. I thought his disposal improved as the game wore on, after a couple of very poor long balls from the middle of the ground that came back immediately.

Apart from the skill disposals, I think our stoppage set-ups in our defense are terrible. I would like to see how we compare against other teams for goals conceded from ball ups and throw ins inside our defensive 50. We seem to leak easy goals from these contests far too often.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Yep, we're chokers. Blood the youngsters now, this year is cooked.

Again.

No way! Inaccuracy cost us that game. Barry missed a set shot. Grant missed a set shot. I don't feel our season is over yet. But hell, it's a bitter pill to swallow. Rocket said weeks ago " We have to take the game on and pllay the game and If we lose we lose." We definitely played the game tonight. Lots of positives. BITTER but .... 3 point loss against a quality side. I'll live with that.

Defensive coaches must HATE Brian Lake. We bow to your brilliance! What a superstar. A F*** outstanding game from a backman. Incredible.

GVGjr
03-07-2010, 12:12 AM
It's not the effort that's the problem. In fact that's the thing that makes it so frustrating tonight, for 3 and a bit quarters, I thought their effort was the most consistent it's been this year against a good opposition.
It's the skills that let us down at key points.

And that's it in a nutshell. There is a lot of work to do with a few of the boys in improving their skills. The Hawks always make it a hard contest that will test the skill execution of their opponents but the truth is that we knew that coming into the game and a few players couldn't lift to the occasion.

Mantis
03-07-2010, 12:13 AM

Your posting in this thread and highlighted by these statements show that you have NFI.

Stick to rugby DR.

lemmon
03-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Probably the best intensity I've seen from our lads for the year, some of the entries into the forward 50 though were nothing short of appalling. I cant see us getting top 4 now, Freo have a relatively good run, can we win it from 5th, who knows but its doubtful.

Rance Fan
03-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Tough loss, needed that one.
Looks to me sadly Johnno and Hahn dont offer enough anymore.
Need Williams back. Aker for Johnno? Everitt for Hahn

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 12:21 AM

What's with all these negative VIBES man!!!!

Oddball, Kelly's Heroes.

bulldogsman
03-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Was Hahn playing? I didn't see him much all game.

Mantis
03-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Was Hahn playing? I didn't see him much all game.

Yep, just the 9 touches. Struggled big time.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Mate, we all are, we are all shattered, there is no more frustrating loss than one like tonight, as Doggies supporters,we are all used to it, which makes it all some damn frustrating.

But sometimes knee jerk reactions on here are as frustrating as results like tonight, especially when there is still hope.

I thought we showed a lot of courage and effort. Some poor skills let us down. Dunno, but I'm a new member and have only supported the club for 10 years. but I really dislike this 'we are just like always' stuff. Our players can hold their heads high I reckon. 3 points is 3 points - a fighting team's margin.

angelopetraglia
03-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Gutted. Thought we had them all night.

Just could not get that 2nd goal when we were 6,7,8 points up in that last quarter. We wasted so many chances going forward across half back looking for Hall and being intercepted. We did not take our chance and in the last quarter they took all there half chances (Mitchell snap, Franklin long goal, Rioli read off the pack at full tilt).

So disappointing. Our last 4 losses have all been 10 points or under. Every time we play not even a good side, but a half-decent team we lose. Not good signs.

YOU CAN'T WIN THE FLAG FROM 8-6!

After two narrow prelim losses, all that matters is a chance at the big dance. We just blew our chance.

Gutted. Bad start to another weekend with a narrow Friday night footy loss.

bulldogsman
03-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Gosh I thought our defense was great though especially with some of our poor turnovers. Lake and Murphy are stars!

anfo27
03-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Feel for Ried tonight, injured both shoulders and had a nightmare game.

Still don't think we work hard enough. The team who wanted it most won the game tonight and if we wanted it more than how can we have 20 less tackles than the hawks?

For the posters at the game tonight, did the hawks play a loose man in defence? because it certainly looked like it at times. It was either that or their defenders kept dropping off their opponent and marking our entries far too many times.

I was worried when they dropped Eagle and no runners came in and I think we needed that extra runner.

Not happy and I think the boys just expect it to turn it around on its own.

Cross was very good i thought, always gives it everything.

Rance Fan
03-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Hahn did a few blocking jobs early on up forward. Had little impact, like a number guys. It was a tough game and they matched up on us well. They did their homework. A number of players were shut down or simply didnt do enough. Few 4 quarter players. We needed to take our opportunities...we didnt

angelopetraglia
03-07-2010, 12:37 AM
We needed to take our opportunities...we didnt

And the big problem was that they took all their half chances. Story of the clubs history.

anfo27
03-07-2010, 12:38 AM
For such an important game why did we take 3 players in that hadn't played any senior football for quite a while?
Reid- no impact/liabilty
Higgins- no impact
Ward- little to no impact

Remi Moses
03-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Gutted. Thought we had them all night.

Just could not get that 2nd goal when we were 6,7,8 points up in that last quarter. We wasted so many chances going forward across half back looking for Hall and being intercepted. We did not take our chance and in the last quarter they took all there half chances (Mitchell snap, Franklin long goal, Rioli read off the pack at full tilt).

So disappointing. Our last 4 losses have all been 10 points or under. Every time we play not even a good side, but a half-decent team we lose. Not good signs.

YOU CAN'T WIN THE FLAG FROM 8-6!

After two narrow prelim losses, all that matters is a chance at the big dance. We just blew our chance.

Gutted. Bad start to another weekend with a narrow Friday night footy loss.

Just about my thoughts in a nutshell. The delivery into the forward fifty was of under 10's standard,time is up for johnno and Mitch Hahn. Mitch for all his hardness just doesn't get to enough contests nowdays. It's sad and not befitting a club great like Johnson to struggle through the season.:(

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Nah.. Other clubs have shaken that. Bugger history, we want a flag.
Geelong for example. We will too. Take our medicine and move on.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Feel for Ried tonight, injured both shoulders and had a nightmare game.

Still don't think we work hard enough. The team who wanted it most won the game tonight and if we wanted it more than how can we have 20 less tackles than the hawks?

For the posters at the game tonight, did the hawks play a loose man in defence? because it certainly looked like it at times. It was either that or their defenders kept dropping off their opponent and marking our entries far too many times.

I was worried when they dropped Eagle and no runners came in and I think we needed that extra runner.

Not happy and I think the boys just expect it to turn it around on its own.

Cross was very good i thought, always gives it everything.

I don't agree. Our work rate wasn't a problem, and we won more contested ball by far than the Hawks. It's execution that let us down, and I'm not really talking about shots on goal, because the Hawks fluffed as many as us. I counted 5 clear breaks in a row from our guys in the middle I think in the 3rd quarter, where guys just fluffed their kicks to a target and resulting in easy takeways.
If anything it was our workrate and endeavour that enabled us to stay on top on the scoreboard for about 90% of the game.

SonofScray
03-07-2010, 12:42 AM
We looked a 4-5 goal better team for much of the game I thought. Unfortunately, going forward we had Wood, Reid and Cross popping it in and while they weren't dreadful we just didn't cash in. Not their fault, but I want the ball in better hands and expect better results.

Beyond that issue, we just didn't find a winner when it counted. No one to stamp things our way, no one to kick an arsey goal, finish a strong piece of play. No one.

At the risk of an emotional post game loss rant, Shaun Higgins - you are no millionaire. You are no super star and you are no leader at the Club. Injuries or not, pull your head in and start getting things done right. If you aren't good to go, then the selectors need to have a good hard look at themselves as well. YOU Mr Higgins, have been one of the biggest disappointments in a Dogs jumper in recent years. So much talent, so much opportunity, so little return.

anfo27
03-07-2010, 12:43 AM
I don't agree. Our work rate wasn't a problem, and we won more contested ball by far than the Hawks. It's execution that let us down, and I'm not really talking about shots on goal, because the Hawks fluffed as many as us. I counted 5 clear breaks in a row from our guys in the middle I think in the 3rd quarter, where guys just fluffed their kicks to a target and resulting in easy takeways.
If anything it was our workrate and endeavour that enabled us to stay on top on the scoreboard for about 90% of the game.

50 odd tackles in a big game when the opposition gets 70 odd is not a pass mark in my book. I think they are trying harder than they were earlier in he year but still not where it needs to be.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Have i seen one of the stupidest acts on a football field?

That ball from Wood was live wasn't it???????

So WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! would Griffen give up on the contest midflight when the ball was going to bounce around ten metres out on line?????????????????????????????????????

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

(This act outdoes Higgins with 8 or so mins left)

SonofScray
03-07-2010, 12:47 AM

So WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! would Griffen give up on the contest midflight when the ball was going to bounce around ten metres out on line?????????????????????????????????????

I thought it was a soft effort as well. Just gave up on it too early and probably highlights the lack of real gut wrenching desire that comes out in the way we play. We have some real good exponents, Callan Ward, Picken etc but the guys with the silk need to bring that to the surface as well.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-07-2010, 12:48 AM
50 odd tackles in a big game when the opposition gets 70 odd is not a pass mark in my book. I think they are trying harder than they were earlier in he year but still not where it needs to be.

I agree it's a big disparity in stats, but it could also be that we missed tackles and therefore another skill execution problem as opposed to effort.
If we were more polished tonight we win, and by 3-4 goals.

Doc26
03-07-2010, 12:49 AM

From where I was sitting I'm sure the siren sounded whilst Wood's ball was in flight although haven't as yet had the benefit of any replay. At that point the only chance of us winning was for the ball to bounce through untouched. I wouldn't be too harsh on Griff for this piece of play.

On Griff. he had a massive working over throughout the evening by Bateman and Ellis. Was very frustrating watching a player of Ellis's stature physically and mentally get a hold of him in the second half.

Remi Moses
03-07-2010, 12:51 AM

Once again our tackling let us down ! Way to many BROKEN TACKLES!!Memo to Shaun Higgins FFS get out of first gear you're looking like a show pony,starting to look like not living up to the hype!!!!!!!!:confused:

anfo27
03-07-2010, 12:52 AM
I agree it's a big disparity in stats, but it could also be that we missed tackles and therefore another skill execution problem as opposed to effort.
If we were more polished tonight we win, and by 3-4 goals.

You're right Yankee there were plenty of missed tackles tonight and tonight wasn't the first time either. We are not a very good tackling side and the way the game is played now thats a big weakness.

Rance Fan
03-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Seemed some of our more skilled players were beaten today, or maybe broke even. Cooney, Gia, Griffen, Harbrow.. They didnt do enough and when they got the ball it wasnt clean and to advantage.

angelopetraglia
03-07-2010, 12:55 AM
We led at every change.

We had more kicks.

We had more handballs.

We had more hit outs.

We had more inside 50s.

We had more contested possessions.

We had more clearances.

We had more contested marks.

We had more free kicks.

Yet, we found a way to lose ....

How?

How do we find new ways to lose every time we play someone half decent?

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 01:03 AM
We led at every change.

We had more kicks.

We had more handballs.

We had more hit outs.

We had more inside 50s.

We had more clearances.

We had more free kicks.

How?

That kind of thing happens to plenty of teams. That is Footy! Goes to show stats are not always what they are cracked up to be.

anfo27
03-07-2010, 01:05 AM
We led at every change.

We had more kicks.

We had more handballs.

We had more hit outs.

We had more inside 50s.

We had more clearances.

We had more free kicks.

How?

If we had more tackles we would have won.

Mantis
03-07-2010, 01:06 AM
If we had more tackles we would have won.

It's hard to tackle when you have the ball, but agree that we slipped off a few too many tackles.

Doc26
03-07-2010, 01:12 AM
We led at every change.

We had more kicks.

We had more handballs.

We had more hit outs.

We had more inside 50s.

We had more clearances.

We had more free kicks.

How?

One place to start is to look at the differential b/w the midfield efficiency statistics. This starts to paint a more compelling story.

The Pie Man
03-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Got home just in time to have the misfortune of watching the last 4 minutes on Ch 7 (I can't help myself) and then the last qtr 'highlights' following the on field interviews with Watson (on a lighter note, what was with his scarfe?)

Yikes did we miss some opportunities to kick away in the last quarter :

Griffen set shot (bad miss)
Ward (this one hurt, I celebrated being 13 points up only for the other Roughead to
make it only 2 points up a minute later)
Grant snap - tough chance
Murphy on the run
Higgins handball

Cue to a very short conversation with a nice lady on the elevator in the Ponsford following the end of the game

NL : we were stiff tonight
TPM : another game we had more scoring shots in and lose....here....when it means so much...

No questioning endeavour, just extremely bitter at the result and being 2 games from top 4

angelopetraglia
03-07-2010, 01:16 AM
We led at every change.

We had more kicks.

We had more handballs.

We had more hit outs.

We had more inside 50s.

We had more clearances.

We had more free kicks.

How?

Eade sums it up.

“We just lost it with our inside 50s no doubt. Every stat except tackling we won, contested ball, etc but we just didn’t make use of the ball going inside 50,” he said.

“I thought our use of the ball was substandard, it was poor and it cost us in the end.

“We had our chances. It was a tough, tight game from both sides and we had enough chances, not only shots at goal but certainly going inside 50 and kicking it straight to the opposition.

“Tonight it was a lack of poise which is disappointing.”

Greystache
03-07-2010, 01:20 AM
We led at every change.

We had more kicks.

We had more handballs.

We had more hit outs.

We had more inside 50s.

We had more clearances.

We had more free kicks.

How?

I was at the game tonight with some neutral supporters, they said the only difference between the two sides was the Bulldogs are clearly mentally weak. Hard to argue with that really.

The Pie Man
03-07-2010, 01:23 AM
I was at the game tonight with some neutral supporters, they said the only difference between the two sides was the Bulldogs are clearly mentally weak. Hard to argue with that really.

I heard this from Cometti in the last few minutes of the game when I got home

'This will be a huge test for the Western Bulldogs, there's a certain fragility there that was there to see on Friday night football vs St Kilda'

Or words to that effect

The Bulldogs Bite
03-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Eh. It's still the same old thing. We find a way to lose when we need to win. Do it every year against quality sides in big games, including finals. I keep expecting (or hoping) the trend will change, but it simply doesn't. Once or twice - whatever, it happens ... but this side does it all the time. I'm not even angry tonight - in the second half particularly, I just felt the tide would turn and we'd be stuffed. They got a couple of goals and that was it.

For a bunch of players that are supposed to be skillful, we turn the ball over so incredibly much. We make stupid decisions with the ball in hand (See Higgins, Johnson and co) too.

This cattle of players just aren't good enough, sadly.

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Eh. It's still the same old thing. We find a way to lose when we need to win. Do it every year against quality sides in big games, including finals. I keep expecting (or hoping) the trend will change, but it simply doesn't. Once or twice - whatever, it happens ... but this side does it all the time. I'm not even angry tonight - in the second half particularly, I just felt the tide would turn and we'd be stuffed. They got a couple of goals and that was it.

For a bunch of players that are supposed to be skillful, we turn the ball over so incredibly much. We make stupid decisions with the ball in hand (See Higgins, Johnson and co) too.

Summed up everything perfectly TBB.

It's the exact same feeling after the Saints game earlier in the year. I knew it was coming so it's hard to be angry or shattered about it. As you said it happens all the time and sadly I don't see the trend changing any time soon.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 01:31 AM
That's it! I could not put it better. When Picken was being pummeled by some guy nobody flew the flag for him. I noticed how much harder we have been since Barry has come along. He added an edge we badly needed. Need a bit more of that hardness.

The Pie Man
03-07-2010, 01:33 AM

3 qtr time I had this awful feeling we'd crash when I realised we'd led at every change - I was pleasantly surprised to see Murph's goal skittle through to give us the lead at that point, I had already started to fear the worst before that.

They must be gutted, so while I'm at pains not to attack the group, good lord does it feel like they sadistically find a way to lose

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 01:34 AM
Eh. It's still the same old thing.

It's not the same old thing. I get tired of hearing this. Maybe the players on field were not good enough to win tonight but that is all. We have other players, and maybe combined, our list cannot bury the top sides but we will never know 100% until we get there. Hawks are a good side!! Quit bashing our team and take nothing away from their pressure. There were two sides playing. Good game hawks, see you next time. We look better than last year anyway.

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 01:39 AM
It's not the same old thing. I get tired of hearing this. Different year. Hawks are a good side!! Quit bashing our team and take nothing away from their pressure. There were two sides playing. Good game hawks, see you next time.

It is the same old thing. We just haven't got the player or players that can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win the dam thing. When it gets close like that we somehow find a way to lose.

I you want to be a good side you've got to beat the good sides and we have not beaten one of them this year.

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 01:44 AM
From where I was sitting I'm sure the siren sounded whilst Wood's ball was in flight although haven't as yet had the benefit of any replay. At that point the only chance of us winning was for the ball to bounce through untouched. I wouldn't be too harsh on Griff for this piece of play.

On Griff. he had a massive working over throughout the evening by Bateman and Ellis. Was very frustrating watching a player of Ellis's stature physically and mentally get a hold of him in the second half.

I think the bolded bit is right.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 01:47 AM
It is the same old thing. We just haven't got the player or players that can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win the dam thing. When it gets close like that we somehow find a way to lose.

I you want to be a good side you've got to beat the good sides and we have not beaten one of them this year.

Ryan Griffen against Melbourne. Grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and won it.

True, have not beaten the top sides yet. But we came very close tonight. 3 points is nothing but a bit of poise and a few straight kicks.
I think it shows disrespect to say " Same old thing" like there is some ghost sitting around the change rooms

The kind of precision foot skills needed were not there in 5-6 crucial kicks and we lost because of it. Plus perhaps a hardness that Hawthorn is famous for. Good kicking, good footy. Nothing to do with the history of the Bulldogs, etc etc. Straight kicks please!

There was plenty of opportunities there and a slim margin - enough to say that if it was replayed there would be no convincing winner. A tight game. Some losses are worse than others!

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 01:49 AM
I know how we can win the rest of our games this season...

We all chip in to bribe the scoreboard controllers to display at all times us losing by 10 points. As this seems to be the only time we switch on. When the game is lost...

And that last kick from Wood, what is the rule for that? I like many others thought if it bounced in, it would be a goal?

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Ryan Griffen against Melbourne. Grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and won it.

True, have not beaten the top sides yet. But we came very close tonight. 3 points is nothing but a bit of poise and a few straight kicks.

Kind of sounds like what we say in Sepetember to...

macca
03-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Got home just in time to have the misfortune of watching the last 4 minutes on Ch 7 (I can't help myself) and then the last qtr 'highlights' following the on field interviews with Watson (on a lighter note, what was with his scarfe?)

Yikes did we miss some opportunities to kick away in the last quarter :

Griffen set shot (bad miss)
Ward (this one hurt, I celebrated being 13 points up only for the other Roughead to
make it only 2 points up a minute later)
Grant snap - tough chance
Murphy on the run
Higgins handball

Cue to a very short conversation with a nice lady on the elevator in the Ponsford following the end of the game

NL : we were stiff tonight
TPM : another game we had more scoring shots in and lose....here....when it means so much...

No questioning endeavour, just extremely bitter at the result and being 2 games from top 4

the game was there to win in the first 10 mins of last qtr, and then the hawks kicked 2 goals. We just can't let teams above us get back into the game like that. Higgins is clearly nowhere his best. How can you handball 40 m directly infront with a team mate around to sheppard ? It just makes me so angry losing another winnable game.

The Coon Dog
03-07-2010, 01:52 AM
And that last kick from Wood, what is the rule for that? I like many others thought if it bounced in, it would be a goal?

Correct.

anfo27
03-07-2010, 01:52 AM
It's hard to tackle when you have the ball, but agree that we slipped off a few too many tackles.

Your kidding right? we had 34 more possesions

angelopetraglia
03-07-2010, 01:53 AM
But we came very close tonight. 3 points is nothing but a bit of poise and a few straight kicks.

Heard it too many times. Yes, I'm a bit jaded tonight. 2 weeks away in South Africa, two big wins against nobodies. Knew tonight was a massive game for this club, for this group of players.

Yes, we should have won, but we lacked the final finish, the killer blow.

Heard it in September in 85, September 97 and September 09. If only. Always if only.

The Pie Man
03-07-2010, 01:54 AM

If it was deemed he kicked it before the siren, my understanding is it can bounce and still score - didn't think there was an opportunity to shephard through at the time, was there?

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 01:55 AM

I like the optimism but I've heard these lines far to often for an awful long time now. We are not good enough this season. I've seen glimpses of hope but another shoulda won slips away and 2010 is slipping with it.

I want this team to take the next step! I look back over the last 30 years and my most memorable moments are a few Semi Final wins, a win against an undefeated side in 2000 and a NAB Cup. We just can't seem to take that next step and honestly I can't see them doing it.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 01:59 AM
If it was deemed he kicked it before the siren, my understanding is it can bounce and still score - didn't think there was an opportunity to shephard through at the time, was there?

Should've tried something.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Heard it too many times. Yes, I'm a bit jaded tonight. 2 weeks away in South Africa, two big wins against nobodies. Knew tonight was a massive game for this club, for this group of players.

Yes, we should have won, but we lacked the final finish, the killer blow.

Heard it in September in 85, September 97 and September 09. If only. Always if only.

Cheer up. Imagine being a player!

angelopetraglia
03-07-2010, 02:01 AM
I like the optimism but I've heard these lines far to often for an awful long time now. We are not good enough this season. I've seen glimpses of hope but another shoulda won slips away and 2010 is slipping with it.

I want this team to take the next step! I look back over the last 30 years and my most memorable moments are a few Semi Final wins, a win against an undefeated side in 2000 and a NAB Cup. We just can't seem to take that next step and honestly I can't see them doing it.

Sadly, very sadly I can only agree.

I want to believe. I want to have faith. But I have nearly lost all faith in this group.

Gutted tonight. A lousy round 14 game and I'm gutted, why? Because in my mind, we just blew any chance at a top 4 and a chance to compete for this years flag.

Sadly, very sadly, we are making up the numbers.

The Underdog
03-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Hodge slipped nearly all of his tackles. He was the difference I thought. Cooney and Cross were beaten badly by him (there may have been others but it was mostly Cooney). That and Mitchell being left alone twice at a bounce in the last quarter, which was unforgivable.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 02:03 AM
I have been a bit desensitized by our last 2 games against the saints. The last one nearly sent the new flat screen off the balcony. A bit like 97 and that took some getting over. The expectation this year is a lot higher.
I really enjoyed the game tonight and I have a lot of pride in watching my dogs play. We were a bit unlucky but more so, we didnt take our chances.
Its hard but some of the posts tonight, while passionate, are a bit ridiculous, its a very fine line, if we won by three points we would be very happy campers. Reid was unlucky and maybe was a wrong choice but the only real passenger was Mitch. He has served well but he is really struggling and a guy like Everrit would do a bit better and would have been handy if Will couldnt play on.
We are one of the best teams in the comp but our big game mental strength is missing.
We can make the top four but its looking unlikely now, can we change the mental strength issue?
A lot of our guys put a hell of an effort in tonight. aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh the life of a dogs supporter.... I agree we need someone to inspire the team.

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 02:05 AM
Eade sums it up.

“We just lost it with our inside 50s no doubt. Every stat except tackling we won, contested ball, etc but we just didn’t make use of the ball going inside 50,” he said.

“I thought our use of the ball was substandard, it was poor and it cost us in the end.

“We had our chances. It was a tough, tight game from both sides and we had enough chances, not only shots at goal but certainly going inside 50 and kicking it straight to the opposition.

“Tonight it was a lack of poise which is disappointing.”

Agree with Rocket completely...

Another shattering loss, but strangely I don't feel as bad as others, I think I've just come to the realisation that we simply aren't good enough. Yes, we have talent, but that's worth nothing if the talent can't/doesn't get the job done. So many experienced players, and I spent the last quarter screaming "Someone stand up!!!" - and no one really did. To butcher the ball like we did, in that tight a contest, the better teams will take advantage. And the Dawks did. We had players play well in patches, but none could take the chances when they were there.

Our intensity, whilst better than other games this year, just isn't there when needed most. We either missed tackles or they're broken easily, our awareness doesn't seem good enough.

Playing 3 who haven't played in a long while didn't work out. Reid offered little, before getting injured again. We might have a competitor for Tom William's "Biscuit" nickname! Poor bloke subluxates one shoulder, then dislocates the other... Higgins seemed to move OK, but didn't offer a great deal. Ward wasn't bad, he'll be better for the run. I am seeing a lot of the Scott West situation with Johnno, unfortunately - not in the nature of the injury, just in the fact his body appears to be constantly breaking down. Heard Rocket pre-game say it won't improve, they just have to manage his training load and recovery. :(

Positives? Well, I thought Willbur provided good contests, Gia looked good in the first half, and I thought Baz was in for a good night - neither lasted unfortunately (Gilham did improve on Baz in the 2nd half). I thought Wood's attack on the ball, and willingness to take players on is good, he just needs to develop his awareness and disposal. Picken is one tough nut, love the way he throws himself at the ball/contest.

angelopetraglia
03-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Its hard but some of the posts tonight, while passionate, are a bit ridiculous, its a very fine line, if we won by three points we would be very happy campers.

Agree. You could cop it on the chin if it was a one off. Our last four losses have all been to teams competing for a top 8 spot and by 10 points or less. 3, 3, 9 and 10 points.

angelopetraglia
03-07-2010, 02:11 AM
C'mon Oranje!

The Underdog
03-07-2010, 02:16 AM
How good is Jarrad Grant at extracting a ball from a contested situation? He has an unbelievable ability to get the ball out to our advantage. He was a bit quiet tonight but he keeps showing enough to believe he'll be a beauty.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 02:17 AM
Agree. You could cop it on the chin if it was a one off. Our last four losses have all been to teams competing for a top 8 spot and by 10 points or less. 3, 3, 9 and 10 points.

Goal to the dutch from nowhere.

But yeah, the close losses start to mount up, we are doing it tough if we want to be a major player in september.

Lake and Hodge were awesome tonight.

Wasnt it weird playing against Skipper?

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 02:19 AM
How good is Jarrad Grant at extracting a ball from a contested situation? He has an unbelievable ability to get the ball out to our advantage. He was a bit quiet tonight but he keeps showing enough to believe he'll be a beauty.

Absolutely, needs to work on his set shots but otherwise a very handy plkayer who has played his last game at Williamstown barring serious injury.

Great to see Ward out there and he will be better next week.

Easton looked good in nearly everything he did too.

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Easton looked good in nearly everything he did too.

As I said in the votes thread, he has cemented his spot tonight.

Rance Fan
03-07-2010, 02:33 AM

Did well, not sure on his kicking disposal just yet

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Did well, not sure on his kicking disposal just yet

I like his kicking, long and it has good penetration, hang on what am I talking about here?!?

:)

He seems to be able to clear zones with a kick into those backward leads if you know what I mean. A lot of our players don't seem to be able to do that which is probably why we hit more Hawthorn players on the tit inside our 50 than we did to our own forwards.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 02:53 AM
A few times in the first half he just booted it from half back to no-one. Which is a little annoying but then again, no-one to really kick it to up the field.

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 03:00 AM
A few times in the first half he just booted it from half back to no-one. Which is a little annoying but then again, no-one to really kick it to up the field.

Which is something he will learn with a few more games under his belt. I just hope that he doesn't get to conservative while learning. Sometimes I really think that is the teams downfall. Sometimes we just need to be more daring.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 03:56 AM

Terrible post mate I know it's easy to get emotional and carry on but pull up. Sometimes it's better to calm down and gather your thoughts before posting. It's hard to take losses like these, let's at least hope we learn from them I'd rather lose them now than later. I know we'll preety much run out of time but all is not lost. We went toe to toe with a battle hardened big game team and mostly dominated them stat wise. (except the scoreboard). Many of us called for the three changes that were made and it failed us in the end. I to was excited to see these three boys back but I new at three quarter time we were in trouble, only due to their lack of AFL match fitness. Although they were good at times and two are in our best 22 they will be much better for the run.

Some of us are being a bit harsh on Johnno he is our legend and has much more to offer and will deliver just let him get some games under his belt. He has saved us plenty of times so I think we owe him some patience, and a little respect.

Our disposal into our forward line crippled us, I think Murph has had enough time getting his confidence back in his knee and must go back to the forward line. Head's up woofer's and correct me if I'm wrong but as long as your in the eight your still competing for the flag! I've said all along get our list fully fit, dodge an interstate trip and we can still win it!

Desipura
03-07-2010, 08:07 AM

I dont have much sympathy for you, I have followed then since 1977!

Desipura
03-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Yep, just the 9 touches. Struggled big time.
The trigger should have been pulled ages ago. The weather and intensity should have seen the best come out in Hahn, again he failed miaserably. Hawks were able to take overhead marks in the forward 50, we could not.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Sadly, very sadly I can only agree.

I want to believe. I want to have faith. But I have nearly lost all faith in this group.

Gutted tonight. A lousy round 14 game and I'm gutted, why? Because in my mind, we just blew any chance at a top 4 and a chance to compete for this years flag.

Sadly, very sadly, we are making up the numbers.

I totally understand. But hey A few months ago I saw a whole family of Richmond supporter, Laughing on the train, all decked out in yellow and black.
Did you know their supporter base has actually risen???

Our group has some who need to take a step aside. Others who really played a 'winning game' last night in terms of their role on the field. You can't say that it is the same group. It was lost from the Box as well as the players.
They did their homework on us clearly. Next time it will be different.

As an aside. Rocket Eade said that when he first came to the club he had never met a club so low and down on itself. Guys, Look at Geelong. They overcame a history of losing terribly and almost getting there with absolute professionalism and hungry, cashed up supporters in a changing demographic. The western suburbs is a growth corridor. It's going to go BOOM. We are connected to a place, unlike North Melbourne. Fancy to be in their shoes?
The only thing that is certain is that things will change. And hey, sometimes the best team doesn't win a flag - Hawthorn with theirs, St Kilda last year. Move on. Win or Lose, next year comes around pretty fast.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Should've tried something.

The siren went roughly mid apex.

Griffen and Gillham (i think) were locked in a one on one contest with the ball heading towards them

Siren goes and Griffen obviously hears it (well and truely after Wood has kicked it)

Griffen gives up on contest and walks away

Hawks player is free to move back and mark the ball ( probably in disbelief @ what Griffen has done)

Players visibly question each other about that final contest moments after the siren.

----------------------

Who knows if it would have gone through, but from my vantage it was on line and was going strong. A contest to sheppard the ball through was needed. Perplexing. Everyone knows a ball disposed of is still live if the siren goes after the disposal - well almost eveyone.

EasternWest
03-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Dunno, but I'm a new member and have only supported the club for 10 years. but I really dislike this 'we are just like always' stuff. Our players can hold their heads high I reckon. 3 points is 3 points - a fighting team's margin.

That kind of thing happens to plenty of teams. That is Footy! Goes to show stats are not always what they are cracked up to be.

It's not the same old thing. I get tired of hearing this. Maybe the players on field were not good enough to win tonight but that is all. We have other players, and maybe combined, our list cannot bury the top sides but we will never know 100% until we get there. Hawks are a good side!! Quit bashing our team and take nothing away from their pressure. There were two sides playing. Good game hawks, see you next time. We look better than last year anyway.

I think it shows disrespect to say " Same old thing" like there is some ghost sitting around the change rooms

Hi Ghost Dog,

Welcome to being a supporter and member of the Dogs, and welcome to WOOF. Love your passion and positivity.

These things are being said because there are many, many lifelong fans of the club here. And they have seen it all before. I wouldn't take it as bashing, disrespect or anything like that, it's just facts. We do need people like you signing up and joining up and being positive, but reality is reality. We do have a tragic history and unfortunately results like this add to that negative mystique. It's like our failures, so frequently discussed (here and in the media etc) compound and the expectancy of failure almost becomes inevitable.

We conjure ways to lose games we shouldn't lose. We let tight games slip away from us. We have always had the ability to play other teams out of form players into form.

I like your analogy about a ghost in the changerooms, because there very well could be.

Last year we lost the PF to the Saints. I still maintain it was probably the best game I've ever seen with my own eyes, and we should have won. But we didn't.

In 08 we lost to Geelong in the PF. We had two easy shots on goal that would have reduced the margin to 2 points in the final quarter, and blew them both. But worse, it felt as if our players knew they couldn't beat Geelong. We were beaten on that big stage not by a better team, but by ourselves.

The list goes on and on (let's not mention 97, 98).

These are facts. Our supporters are world weary. If you're exasperated by the negativity it's understandable, but you need an appreciation of why it's being said. It's not people reacting to a loss that shouldn't have been, it's long suffering fans who have simply seen it all before.

Thanks for your robust participation, I look forward to reading more of your posts and hope some of your positivity can rub off.

dfa4pm

P.S. FWIW, I was very happy with the endeavour of our team tonight. Despite it all, I do hope we can build on some recent improving form and make something of this year. I try not to, but I can't help myself. On to next week.

The Pie Man
03-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Wood emerging becomes important if Harbrow goes - and if he does stay, it allows JH to push us the ground.

One time in the last quarter last night I saw Cyril and Harbrow competing for a loose ball - I think Harbrow is the most similar player to Cyril in style in the comp, so it was great to see those two head to head for a bit (Cyril took the pill away sadly)

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey D4afpm

I am a huge woof.net fan. thanks for the welcome.

Hi Ghost Dog,

In 08 we lost to Geelong in the PF. It felt as if our players knew they couldn't beat Geelong.

Yes, pretty hard to swallow '08. But we are not the only club with such heartbreak. How would you feel being a Saints supporter last year, winning every single game all year and choking because of a few stray goals?

I guess it is easy to read a narrative into things. It's easy to take a complex of things and simplify it by saying " We are cursed".
It's just cause and effect. We were beaten last night by a good team. Our team was better on paper but missed chances. Cannot blame Barry, Grant, Wood for '08. I guess there is no narrative for me there as I have not been suffering the red, white and blue since I was a kid. I hope you don't think I am being counter forum for the sake of it. I really was impressed by some passages of play last night and we look a lot better than last year, or earlier this season on the whole. In my humble opinion. At least we are taking the game on. That's a big improvement.

However!! Gah The turnovers were really obvious. Even just ONE of them ( and there were heaps ) may have, from some points of view, cost us the game. Wood in particular, Higgins, Boyd, sent it right down the throats of their half backs more than a few times.

Grantysghost
03-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Last year we lost the PF to the Saints. I still maintain it was probably the best game I've ever seen with my own eyes, and we should have won. But we didn't.

In 08 we lost to Geelong in the PF. We had two easy shots on goal that would have reduced the margin to 2 points in the final quarter, and blew them both. But worse, it felt as if our players knew they couldn't beat Geelong. We were beaten on that big stage not by a better team, but by ourselves.

The list goes on and on (let's not mention 97, 98).

These are facts. Our supporters are world weary. If you're exasperated by the negativity it's understandable, but you need an appreciation of why it's being said. It's not people reacting to a loss that shouldn't have been, it's long suffering fans who have simply seen it all before.

Great post, couldn't agree more. Hardly missed a game since 79, and in games like last night i find myself looking around the ground for Bill Murray, Punxsutawney Phil and Ned Ryerson whom i'm sure are sitting together having a beer, wearing the opposition colors, and laughing in my general direction.

1985 prelim can be added to that list too :o

Forward fifty entries, and the ability to make smart decisions under pressure cost us last night, but also that indefinable, long lingering Bulldog trait of mental weakness when it counts (I can still see Alistair Lynch wrapping his hands around his throat and displaying to all and sundry what he though of our mental state in an early 2000's final at the Gabba)

I like Rocket, but he is fast becoming the longest serving coach not to have won a flag. Lethal anyone ;)

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Great post, couldn't agree more. Hardly missed a game since 79, and in games like last night i find myself looking around the ground for Bill Murray, Punxsutawney Phil and Ned Ryerson whom i'm sure are sitting together having a beer, wearing the opposition colors, and laughing in my general direction.

Ned Ryerson? Needle nose Ned? Ned the head?

Grantysghost
03-07-2010, 11:27 AM

http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/ned-ryerson.jpg

The very same! Watch that first step, its a doo hoo hoooozy.... Metaphor for the Prelims?

EasternWest
03-07-2010, 12:34 PM

Bing!

EasternWest
03-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Hey D4afpm

I am a huge woof.net fan. thanks for the welcome.

Yes, pretty hard to swallow '08. But we are not the only club with such heartbreak. How would you feel being a Saints supporter last year, winning every single game all year and choking because of a few stray goals?

I guess it is easy to read a narrative into things. It's easy to take a complex of things and simplify it by saying " We are cursed".
It's just cause and effect. We were beaten last night by a good team. Our team was better on paper but missed chances. Cannot blame Barry, Grant, Wood for '08. I guess there is no narrative for me there as I have not been suffering the red, white and blue since I was a kid. I hope you don't think I am being counter forum for the sake of it. I really was impressed by some passages of play last night and we look a lot better than last year, or earlier this season on the whole. In my humble opinion. At least we are taking the game on. That's a big improvement.

However!! Gah The turnovers were really obvious. Even just ONE of them ( and there were heaps ) may have, from some points of view, cost us the game. Wood in particular, Higgins, Boyd, sent it right down the throats of their half backs more than a few times.

Once again a considered response. You're a welcome addition to the forum.

Ok enough with the love-in ;)!

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 12:42 PM
On another note. Last nite forget if it was late in the first or in the second qtr. Saw Shaggy take a mark. Didn't even think he was playing before that

Chicago1
03-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I couldn't stay up to watch the first half of the match, but got up at 6am to watch the second half. This doesn't seem to be the team we had such high hopes for. Seems to me our Premiership window is just about closed and bars are being readied for the near future. We have beaten no one of note this year. Probably one of the most disappointing years of my 33 years as a member. At least in the late 70s/early 80s we had no expectations, though some of those losses were heart-wrenching. I really thought it was going to be our year this year. Maybe next year. *sigh*

Grantysghost
03-07-2010, 03:35 PM

I just saw the replay on fox - your right, wood's kick would have bounced in the goal square and from there looked headed for goal, Griffen chucked it in as soon as he heard the siren....! Don't think I've had seen that before.

I'm pretty sure Lake and Higgins were asking themselves the same question moments after the siren, both had bewildered looks on their faces.

EasternWest
03-07-2010, 04:11 PM
The siren went roughly mid apex.

Griffen and Gillham (i think) were locked in a one on one contest with the ball heading towards them

Siren goes and Griffen obviously hears it (well and truely after Wood has kicked it)

Griffen gives up on contest and walks away

Hawks player is free to move back and mark the ball ( probably in disbelief @ what Griffen has done)

Players visibly question each other about that final contest moments after the siren.

----------------------

Who knows if it would have gone through, but from my vantage it was on line and was going strong. A contest to sheppard the ball through was needed. Perplexing. Everyone knows a ball disposed of is still live if the siren goes after the disposal - well almost eveyone.

I just watched that again on youtube and that's exactly what happened.

Total brainfade on Griff's part. Don't know whether it would have run on or not, but he had to make it a contest. Wow, never noticed it at first, and now it's all I can think about.

The Pie Man
03-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I was listening to Terry Wallace on SEN earlier in the car, and I was tempted to call in and offer a counter argument to his suggestion we struggled with Clarkson's change in tactics after quarter time. Basically, I think it was BS - if you didn't hear it, he contended that after quarter time, Hawthorn left their forwards deep and played more one on one footy (not querying this) so we couldn't get our running overlap footy going, and we really struggled with this (and then the typical 'and that's how finals footy is played' tripe got rolled out by the group)

We were in front at every change and had more scoring shots - some very gettable - than Hawthorn in the last quarter.

Yeah, we really struggled with Hawthorn's tactical changes after quarter time. :rolleyes::confused:

He also didn't spare Cooney or Griffen - saying Cooney tagged Hodge for only 6 minutes in the second half as he didn't have the discipline to change his game and run with him, and Griffen can't handle a hard tag.

Not going to argue either of these points...didn't focus on the matchups that closely while at the game to comment

The Pie Man
03-07-2010, 05:53 PM
I just watched that again on youtube and that's exactly what happened.

Total brainfade on Griff's part. Don't know whether it would have run on or not, but he had to make it a contest. Wow, never noticed it at first, and now it's all I can think about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Efb1cP6w8

For anyone wanting a link to the last 5 minutes

Cliche time - no one incident costs you the game....but yeah, would've liked to have seen at least an attempted shephard - he was in a good position to try it.

The Pie Man
03-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Oh and how good was Boyd grabbing it out of the ruck and finding Wood with the handball?

Rance Fan
03-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh and imagine if Hawks lost...the supporters would be whinging about the umps. Itd be unbearable, hard enough watching the game hearing them complain

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Wasnt it weird playing against Skipper?

Or just weird to see him playing? ;)

BornInDroopSt'54
03-07-2010, 09:44 PM

Why would the Bulldogs team want to play for members who call for their axing even though they are a proven great team?
We are not owed a premiership and to throw a tantrum if the team performs in a way to threaten our expectation of one, is immature. There is another way. We can support and have faith in human nature and in the club to rise above adversity, to rise above what seems like the fates have written for us, and have the liberating realisation that there is no law against going against expectations, adversity and the script our anxiety writes for us. Certainly do not give in to fear and anxiety. Rise above the mundane. We must if we expect this of our team. Be great of mind and hope that our team can be too.
Wasn’t it Adelaide who were thrashed by 60 pts just prior to winning their premiership? We have been just been beaten by 3 pts against a team that won the premiership the year before last.

LostDoggy
04-07-2010, 01:38 AM
And we did have two first gamers for the year and and few underdone players coming back from injuries...