Rance Fan
03-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Out - Reid, Johnno, Hahn
In - Williams, Everitt, Aker (early) or Hill

GVGjr
03-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Out - Reid, Johnno, Hahn

Hasn't Akermanis got another week after this one at Williamstown?

Bit hard to call for the ins when Williamstown don't play until Sunday.

I'm not sure what benefit it does to drop a player like Hill for just one week unless he puts in a really good effort.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Out - Reid, Johnno, Hahn

You don't muck around Rance.

Post match, there'd be plenty.

At a stab i'd say BJ and Hahn. Pathetic tonight.

Rance Fan
03-07-2010, 12:57 AM
You don't muck around Rance.

Post match, there'd be plenty.

At a stab i'd say BJ and Hahn. Pathetic tonight.

Moving forward.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Out - everyone except Ward Wood Hudson Picken Reid
In - BALLS!

Mantis
03-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Hahn struggled again as he does normally against good teams. Williams in seems the logical swap which will aloow Lake to spend soem time up forwrd against Carlton.

Reid, Higgins, Ward & Johnson all looked under-done and hopefully they will be better for the run (can't be any worse ;) ), but they all deserve another chance.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2010, 01:06 AM
In - BALLS!

Our problem isn't our testicles, it's our head and feet.

Greystache
03-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Out- Reid (body not right), Hahn (just not giving us anything), Higgins (God please let him be left out)

Ins- waiting for Willi, likely out of Hill, Eagleton, Roughead, Stack, and an outside chance Everitt.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Moving forward.

Good on ya Rance! here here. GO DOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bulldogs Bite
03-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Reports on Reid aren't great. Both shoulders are looking like they need attention. Probably gone for the year.

Higgins should either be dropped for a few weeks or rested for the year.

Johnno looks worse than Aker.

Also heard on radio that Minson was really struggling after half time and is a chance to miss.

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Feel sorry for Reid. The kid can't seem to find a break.

Minson played out the game but you would think that his ankle might flare up during the week so don't be surprised if Roughead comes in.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but Mitch Hahn it's time.

craigsahibee
03-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Everitt for Hahn. Roughead for Will. Eagleton for Reid.

Really hope Sam can get back this year.

The Underdog
03-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Feel sorry for Reid. The kid can't seem to find a break.

Minson played out the game but you would think that his ankle might flare up during the week so don't be surprised if Roughead comes in.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but Mitch Hahn it's time.

Considering Carlton's ruck situation, I'd think Minson should get a week's rest for his ankle. Full credit to him for coming back on when he clearly wasn't fit. Same for Reid. The kid did 3 shoulders.
Mitch was disappointing. As much as I love Johnno (and by no means should he be dropped), tonight he proved that this is his last year, goes to ground after the contest every time.

Roughhead in and either Williams or perhaps Hill if he has a good game on Sunday, for Minson and Reid.

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Same for Reid. The kid did 3 shoulders.

In one night? Or is that over the course of his career so far. I know he went off early with a bump. didn't come back after the one in the last.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 02:04 AM
There was a moment in the game when I had a look at our forward line when the ball was at the other end. It included the following:
Hall
Hahn
Gia
Johnson
Minson

Some top players yes, but the slowest forward line going around :(

The Underdog
03-07-2010, 02:04 AM
In one night? Or is that over the course of his career so far. I know he went off early with a bump. didn't come back after the one in the last.

He did the right, hurt the left and then towards the end hurt one of them again (it may have been a reoccurrence but I was taking some artistic licence)

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 02:07 AM
He did the right, hurt the left and then towards the end hurt one of them again (it may have been a reoccurrence but I was taking some artistic licence)

They're both always strapped as long as I've remembered. Considering the width across his shoulders it's surprising to see them so weak.

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 02:15 AM

Sub-luxed one, then fully dislocated the other, according to Doc Larkins.

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 02:21 AM
In Roughead, Eagleton
Out Minson, Reid

Hahn didn't offer much, but we know the MC's fondness for not dropping him. Johnno didn't do much, but he won't be dropped, unless the body tells him so. And that could happen, sadly.

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 02:24 AM
In Roughead, Eagleton
Out Minson, Reid

Hahn didn't offer much, but we know the MC's fondness for not dropping him. Johnno didn't do much, but he won't be dropped, unless the body tells him so. And that could happen, sadly.

Surely there is a better option? I don't like bashing one particular player but I'd put more time into Wood, Hill and anyone else contesting Eagleton's spot.

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Surely there is a better option? I don't like bashing one particular player but I'd put more time into Wood, Hill and anyone else contesting Eagleton's spot.

Wood is in, and I'm not that impressed with Hill ATM... I will concede he might have more to work with than Eagle.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 02:39 AM
We need some pace on the field. They don't have to be fastest players in the AFL, but we only got 2-3 players at most that can win a ball chase.

The Underdog
03-07-2010, 02:42 AM
We need some pace on the field. They don't have to be fastest players in the AFL, but we only got 2-3 players at most that can win a ball chase.

I'm not sure we have any more pace at Willy. Nobody quick springs to mind that deserves a game.

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 02:46 AM

True, but with more efficient use of the ball, we don't need to be extra fast.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I don't think bringing in an efficient player will work. As we are supposed to be one of the most efficient teams in the comp, yet we turn it over 50% of the time it seems.....

We could bring in another 'efficient' player. But when he gets it to an 'ineffecient' player who is gonna chase after it? Hanh? Johnno? Gia?
Gia looks like he is running in slow mo when he is chasing the ball. lol

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 03:04 AM
I don't think bringing in an efficient player will work. As we are supposed to be one of the most efficient teams in the comp, yet we turn it over 50% of the time it seems.....

We could bring in another 'efficient' player. But when he gets it to an 'ineffecient' player who is gonna chase after it? Hanh? Johnno? Gia?
Gia looks like he is running in slow mo when he is chasing the ball. lol

What I was getting at was that if the players in the 22 (without changes), improve their efficiency, then we won't appear as slow as we do. It's not about sifting through players, it's about the ones on the field being better.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 03:45 AM
Out: Minson, Reid
In: Roughead, Eagleton

I would like to see Everitt given a chance, who could go out for him? Hahn maybe? Don't think he will though.

Ozza
03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
It's probably too close to last nights disappointment for me to comment on what changes should take place- but I haven't got much patience for watching Shaun Higgins get around in bulldogs colours. Injured or not, there's no urgency or spirit coming across in his performance.

EasternWest
03-07-2010, 10:13 AM
In - BALLS!

Emotion makes some people say crazy things :rolleyes:.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Can Reid be expected to play at AFL level now? His shoulders seem pretty fragile now.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Emotion makes some people say crazy things :rolleyes:.

Agreed :cool:

stefoid
03-07-2010, 11:02 AM
With perfect hindsight, Hahn never troubled the goal umpire last night (or anyone else really) whilst Hill has scored at least one goal in every game he has played this year. We lost by less than a goal.

I suppose the theory was that it was going to be a wet muddy slog, unsuited to Hill and more suited to Hahn.

We also persisted in kicking long to contests where Hall mainly was outnumbered 1231414 to 1. We only got one crumb goal, from Grant. (Who Id like to see spotted up as a target more, or make it to more contests, preferably both).

Still looking for that more or less permanent crumber to lurk in the vicinty of Hall.

Id be dropping Hahn this time, for real. Bring back Hill. Williams for Reid. Roughhead for Minson.

Johno is quality. He just needs to build form and fitness. Dropping him would be silly.

DOG GOD
03-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Hahn isnt really offering anything to the side atm, so the MC really need to make a statement with some tough decisions. I agree with Stefoid with his ins and outs.

Bumper Bulldogs
03-07-2010, 11:17 AM
This week is really going to test the MC and playing group as we know it.

I think that we are going to be forced into changes with injury's to Minson, Reid, Johnson. If this is the case I cant imagine anybody getting dropped (Mitch the likely one) We had our best side on paper playing last night and we all knew that some went in a little underdone but next week they will be better for the run. We have not had a consistent 22 going around this year and as we are at the business end of the season this needs to be front of mind with the MC.

For me the outs will be Minson, Reid and Johnson.
The In's Roughy for Minson, Moles for Reid, Jones in for Johnson as a roughy as I believe the like of Hill, Stack and Eagle need to earn their place back. unless one of these guys have a blinder on Sunday.

If Mitch is dropped then Williams or Spider depending on match ups.

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Those calling for Williams to come in is there really a match up for him? I've rarely seen Carlton but their focal points up forward are their smalls who I am really concerned about! Sultana and Henderson are there bigs but I'm sure we can cover them and drift Lake forward when needed.

Bringing Williams in makes us to top heavy IMO.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Those calling for Williams to come in is there really a match up for him? I've rarely seen Carlton but their focal points up forward are their smalls who I am really concerned about! Sultana and Henderson are there bigs but I'm sure we can cover them and drift Lake forward when needed.

Agreed. Must get Ward fit so Griffen can go back and Murphy can go forward.
Reid, Minson, Hahn. Out

Moles, Roughead, Eagleton. In

The Coon Dog
03-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Is Tim Callan one to consider given Carlton has Garlett, Yarran & Betts as small forwards?

Bumper Bulldogs
03-07-2010, 01:36 PM

It could free Lake to go forward if the drop Mitch, Also it should be easy pickens for tommy to Run into form.

As for the small forwards Morris, Harbrow, Wood and Shaggy should do the job for us.

Picken to Gibbs and Boyd to Judd leaving Murphy to get a match up?

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Move Lake forward in place of Hanh. This depends on how Williams pulls up this week at Willi.

Hanh out full stop.

Roughead for Minson.

Moles/Eagleton for Reid.

Murphy to go forward in place of Higgins who is out and Everitt to come in and play down back.

Do these tweaks and we have a winning forward line again.

Greystache
03-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Is Tim Callan one to consider given Carlton has Garlett, Yarran & Betts as small forwards?

Not for mine TCD, Carlton's small forwards are the key to their scoring and they look for them all the time. With that kind of pressure on him I think Callan would half the match laying on the ground.

FlightoftheCallanWards
03-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Was thinking this but as mentioned above he probably wouldn't deal with the pressure.

My assumption would be Morris, Harbrow and maybe Hargrave to take the small forwards. Would have listed Picken as he has shown he can 'tag' a forward but he will be needed to stop some of their mids.

Out: Hahn, Minson, Reid
In: Everitt, Roughead, Eagleton/Hill

Thats all speculative though until we see Willy tomorrow

azabob
03-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Hahn struggled again as he does normally against good teams. Williams in seems the logical swap which will aloow Lake to spend soem time up forwrd against Carlton.

Reid, Higgins, Ward & Johnson all looked under-done and hopefully they will be better for the run (can't be any worse ;) ), but they all deserve another chance.

Is Tiller improving with each match at VFL level?

Perhaps he' be a better option than Williams, Tiller can play back and forward.

On grounds like the MCG do we need to play 2 players deeper in the forward 50 so we have more options coming forward?

Perhaps Grant as the leading half forward and Johnson and Hall in the 50.

However it appears the game has moved beyond that.

GVGjr
03-07-2010, 03:10 PM

If he gets through the game on Sunday OK I would consider him.

Pickenitup
03-07-2010, 03:12 PM
In Moles Roughhead Williams
Out Hahn Reid (inj) Minson (inj)
Tommy coming in releases Lake to go forward and expose the Carlton backline which is brittle

comrade
03-07-2010, 03:25 PM
I want Hahn out full stop so how about one from left field? Rocket loves his bullocking work and has moved him back at times. What about another big body who can play back also and is a total nut job when it comes to tackling?

I give you Tim Callan - as a forward.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I dont think Tim would do well in the forward line. But in another way, if it means we can get Hahn out at the moment. Bring him in.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Callans kicked a couple of nice goals and taken a nice mark or too in the forward line in the couple of games ive seen of willy this year, and all we would use him for would be defensive forward.

Anyone think this game is a good game to give Jones a shot (if he goes well tomorrow) or is it to important because we NEED to win this game!

Mofra
03-07-2010, 04:56 PM
At this stage:

Out: Reid, Minson, Hahn
In: Roughead, Williams, next best runner at Willy

Carlton beat teams with zip - we wont need to replace Hahn in the forwardline with Roughy resting there, Higgins playing there until match fit, and Lake drifting up occasionally.

stefoid
03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
They're both always strapped as long as I've remembered. Considering the width across his shoulders it's surprising to see them so weak.

Maybe too wide - too much leverage.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Jarrad Waite isn't back is he?
I think we would match up quite well with
Hendo - Lake
Yarren - Picken
Betts - Dale
Gartlett - Harbrow

azabob
03-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Jarrad Waite isn't back is he?
I think we would match up quite well with
Hendo - Lake
Yarren - Picken
Betts - Dale
Gartlett - Harbrow

Harbrow on small dangerous forwards worries me.

Rance Fan
03-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Everitt CHF for Hahn. Surely he would provide more run, pressure and contests.
Murphy and Grant either side, leading up to the wings, and doubling back.
Hall, Harbrow and Higgins/Gia oup front

Wouldnt be so slow with this lineup up front i reckon!

Aker, Johnno, Hahn....the game speed may of past em

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 06:43 PM
It could free Lake to go forward if the drop Mitch, Also it should be easy pickens for tommy to Run into form.

Maybe so but I still think if Hahn stays then he can go back to cover if Lake is needed forward. It's possible a smaller defender like Addison could get the call up instead.

Bumper Bulldogs
03-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Maybe so but I still think if Hahn stays then he can go back to cover if Lake is needed forward. It's possible a smaller defender like Addison could get the call up instead.

Yes but it is a healthy thing that we have a "full list" to pick from. It was only 4 weeks ago we didn't have these options.

It will all come down to who stands out tomorrow and puts the pressure on the selectors to go with them not the evergreen reliables that we have stuck by over the last couple of years.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 08:15 PM
In: Everitt, Roughead, Callan?
Out: Reid (inj), Minson (inj), Hahn

Is Johnson injured?

Unsure of the 3rd person to bring in - can't be Eagleton, Stack or Hill. Wonder who else we have?

jazzadogs
03-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I would think that one of Callan or Addison will come in, depending on their form for Willy. As someone said, Harbrow on a small forward concerns me. As much as he has been a revelation in defence, that is not so much from his defensive actions, moreso his rebound.

Johnno is not going to get dropped. If he's seriously injured they'll rest him, but otherwise I just can't see it happening.

Hahn has no place in the team at the moment, considering the pressure he is applying to the opposition.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure we have any more pace at Willy. Nobody quick springs to mind that deserves a game.

Patrick Rose is pretty handy in the first 15 metres. Always seems to sneak half a yard on his opponents and contests fairly well 1 on 1 and certainly knows where the goal posts are. With better delivery at Willy (wind, rain, etc) he would look an even better player. Whether he can step up to the pace and quality at AFL level, you will not find out until you roll that dice. IMO.

Andrew Hooper has the look and strength of a seasoned player but might have to drop some muscle mass to gain that half a yard to be a true goal sneak. Otherwise I believe he will continue to be groomed as a small utility.

Bumper Bulldogs
03-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Just looking at some vision of Jonno at the beach today, He can hardly walk. I cant see any benefit in risking him this week. Give him a week to rest up as we will need him later on in the year.

No news on Reid or Minson just yet.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 11:36 PM
In Roughead Everitt Jones

Out Minson Reid Hahn

BulldogBelle
04-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Just a few comments.

Higgins
Obviously not playing his best and doesn't deserve his place in the side. I would take the risk that he will play into form and play him again this week. OK, this may cost, but the upside is good.

Wood
Very good. Can see improvement in him for the remainder of the year. Has to be encouraged. Part of our future.

Ward
Ditto on Wood. Part of our future.

Johnson
Should retire. A lot of us thought that he should have retired at the end of last year. Will just continue to get injured, will not regain his best form. Will be a liability to the team. Doesn't hold his end up. Is keeping out a good player like Everitt or maybe Hooper or Rose. Any one of those in the team instead of Johnno and we would have won.

Everitt
His form with Williamstown is one of a class player. Accurate and good long and short kicking. Positions himself well. Should have been in the team ages ago. Can't understand why he is left out. He oozes class. Is there a personal issue here? Part of our future.

Hooper
May be that nippy forward we are looking for. Worth a try one week.

Rose
He is just one of those unfashionable players who gets to where the ball is rather than where it 'aint. You got to be a good player to be captain of Williamstown, the top VFL side. You got to be a good player to be Captain of the VFL side. Worth a try as a small forward. Is better than now Brad Johnson.

Hahn
Badly out of form. But this has been known for some time. Its not like he has been coming back from injury and will be played into form. He just fell out of form. Has to be dropped. Has to be.

Reid
Cannot be given another game until his shoulders are fixed. Has to be put on a program of some sort. Can't afford him to get a shoulder injury during the match. Worth keeping.

Eagleton
Do not give him another game. He is not part of our future. Youngies will be better.

Addison
Probably one of the best players for Williamstown. Lots of possessions with some good passes. But don't be fooled. He also makes crap mistakes. No more games for Addison. He is not part of our future.

Stack
Amazing that he wasn't delisted last year. Amazing that he got games this year. What were they thinking?

Cross
His game has improved somewhat lately as he has been going the run forward and long(ish) kick forward (as opposed to his usual dinky-doo handpass and backwards kick). I have been pleased to see this. But on Friday night when under pressure out came the dinky-doo hand-pass that was stuffed up as the receiver was tackled and down the gurgler went another goal.

Roughead.
Not as good as Minson yet, but can improve with more game time. He seems to have what it takes. Part of our future.

Akermanis
A better player than Johnson and should be played in preference to Brad Johnson but not in preference to one of the young guys.

Tim Callan
Not part of our future.

Harbrow.
Well I saw the game on Friday night but I don't understand what this guy was supposed to be doing. Has he fallen out of form?

Shaggy
As was stated by someone else, didn't think he was playing at one stage until he popped up with a mark on the half-back flank. Fallen out of form and ripe for the chop.

Hill
I know you can get frustrated by him. But, but he takes these marks and kicks these goals and sticks his hand here and there and does these unusual things. He is borderline but I would like to see him given some encouragement and that might improve his game.

Williams
Has played a lot of games now and I can't see where he has really been tested. He doesn't seem to have been given any really tough jobs. I would like to see his mettle and put him in the team and match him up against their best and see what he is really made of. I can't form an opinion on him because he has not yet had it tough.

So given those opinions:

Out: Reid and Minson if injured.
Out Hahn and Johnson because they are crap.

In: Everitt and Roughead.
In: Williams and Hill

Throughandthrough
04-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Probably covered on another thread. but is Bryza gonna be in strife as well for thr tummy rub?

LostDoggy
04-07-2010, 12:32 PM
In: Roughy for Will, and maybe for the remainder of the season. Everitt, has been stiffto miss the last few weeks.
Where's Moles gone???????
Hill? He has to grow a set.

mjp
04-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Hill? He has to grow a set.

2nd leading goal-kicker. Goals are good last time I checked.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 04:17 PM
I really respect the work Mitch has done, but his style is not effective at the moment ( 9 touches ) The more poor games Mitch has the more this frustration with Everitt builds.
I can't see Everitt not being able to do what Mitch gives us frankly speaking.

Everitt, Moles, a runner who can get to the contests.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 04:22 PM
There was a moment in the game when I had a look at our forward line when the ball was at the other end. It included the following:
Hall
Hahn
Gia
Johnson
Minson

Some top players yes, but the slowest forward line going around :(

Minson will be out I, so I read today. So hopefully we can get some leg speed into the forward line. My suggestion is Everitt. Any others?

Rocco Jones
04-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I think it would be remiss of our MC to ignore the fact that we are playing in Darwin off a 6day break after the Blues game. This would be a massive factor in my mind about whether to risk Johnno and/or Minson, especially with Higgins and Ward just coming back.

My stab at it.

IN: Everitt, Callan, Roughead, 4th spot is lineball for me- depends on how they went today against Willy but I would like to see Jones get a game. If we are going to have so many immobile forwards who neither offer defensive pressure, a target or a crumbing option we might as well give a tall like Jones a guy.
OUT: Minson, Johnson, Hahn, Reid

Not ideal but IMO we might as well take the risk/do it for his development when the other options are so ordinary. I agree with mjp that Hill is clearly in our best 22 but it's not about whether he is good enough at the moment IMO. He seems to play as if he knows he is good enough and is happy to accept his lot as being a player who keeps his spot by doing a few nice things every game. He is better than that IMO and I think the short term pain of dropping him is worth the potential long term gain.

Doc26
04-07-2010, 08:16 PM
I expect Liam Jones to get a call up this week for an out of touch Mitch Hahn.

EasternWest
04-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Nice. I like it. I hear good things.

lemmon
04-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Out- Minson, Reid, Hahn
In- Roughead, Everitt, Hill (perhaps Jones if he was a standout for Willi)

LostDoggy
04-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Everitt is a must for me

Desipura
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Rightly so, why so many credits for Mitch? Will gets dropped for some silly errors earlier in the season, yet his form was not as bad as Mitch's at the time.

stefoid
05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Everitt is supposed to be the everywhere man, so what better time to call him up than when we need backup for Hudson in the ruck?

Doc26
05-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Everitt is supposed to be the everywhere man, so what better time to call him up than when we need backup for Hudson in the ruck?

Was a very good workout for Roughead yesterday having to compete with an experienced and big bodied Steven King. Dre did perform the back up ruck duties although his overall performance on the day was not exceptional. Both Williams and Dre played down back with Williams showing a bit more than Dre's overall effort. I would be inclined to think Roughead and Williams would get call up ahead of Everitt based on what I observed yesterday although Carlton's smaller forward line is likely to come into play.

I like what Josh Hill can offer our forward line. However if judging him based purely on his performance against the Zebra's it would seem unlikely that the MC would promote him unless they feel forced through injury.

I feel the call ups for this week are more likely to come from Jones, Roughead, Williams and possibly Callan.

Mofra
05-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Roughy does offer a fair bit as a ruckman resting forward - would this come into consideration for the MRP with Hahn's position in the team?

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I like..
Out: Hahn, Minson, Reid
In: Everitt, Roughead, Hill

but probably...
Out: Minson, Reid
In: Roughead, Hill

The Coon Dog
05-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Roughy does offer a fair bit as a ruckman resting forward - would this come into consideration for the MRP with Hahn's position in the team?

What do the Match Review Panel have to do with selecting our side? :D

Sockeye Salmon
05-07-2010, 01:21 PM
In: Roughead, Moles, Williams, Everitt
Out: Minson, Reid, Johnson, Hahn

Mofra
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
My mistake - although I remember some FB we had a while ago called Harris who tended to rely on them a bit :o

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Those of you seeking to drop Johnson have short memories. Two weeks back and whilst not a standout, his performances have been acceptable particularly alongside a couple of others.

To replace him with Moles is an extraordinary suggestion - no extra pace and about half the ability.

What a knee jerk reaction to perhaps their best effort of the season.

Somewhere along the line we need to appreciate we played against a pretty fair side and had the game gone for 8 quarters, I reckon there still would not have been anymore than 3 points in it either way.

Greystache
05-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Might be the only way to get Mitch out of the side. :D

Sockeye Salmon
05-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Those of you seeking to drop Johnson have short memories. Two weeks back and whilst not a standout, his performances have been acceptable particularly alongside a couple of others.

To replace him with Moles is an extraordinary suggestion - no extra pace and about half the ability.

What a knee jerk reaction to perhaps their best effort of the season.

Somewhere along the line we need to appreciate we played against a pretty fair side and had the game gone for 8 quarters, I reckon there still would not have been anymore than 3 points in it either way.

I don't think anyone is dropping Johnson. He was rolled his ankle and it looks like he won't come up.

FWIW, the rest of your post is spot on.

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Just a few comments.

Higgins
Obviously not playing his best and doesn't deserve his place in the side. I would take the risk that he will play into form and play him again this week. OK, this may cost, but the upside is good.

Wood
Very good. Can see improvement in him for the remainder of the year. Has to be encouraged. Part of our future.

Ward
Ditto on Wood. Part of our future.

Johnson
Should retire. A lot of us thought that he should have retired at the end of last year. Will just continue to get injured, will not regain his best form. Will be a liability to the team. Doesn't hold his end up. Is keeping out a good player like Everitt or maybe Hooper or Rose. Any one of those in the team instead of Johnno and we would have won.
Everitt
His form with Williamstown is one of a class player. Accurate and good long and short kicking. Positions himself well. Should have been in the team ages ago. Can't understand why he is left out. He oozes class. Is there a personal issue here? Part of our future.

Hooper
May be that nippy forward we are looking for. Worth a try one week.

Rose
He is just one of those unfashionable players who gets to where the ball is rather than where it 'aint. You got to be a good player to be captain of Williamstown, the top VFL side. You got to be a good player to be Captain of the VFL side. Worth a try as a small forward. Is better than now Brad Johnson.

Hahn
Badly out of form. But this has been known for some time. Its not like he has been coming back from injury and will be played into form. He just fell out of form. Has to be dropped. Has to be.

Reid
Cannot be given another game until his shoulders are fixed. Has to be put on a program of some sort. Can't afford him to get a shoulder injury during the match. Worth keeping.

Eagleton
Do not give him another game. He is not part of our future. Youngies will be better.

Addison
Probably one of the best players for Williamstown. Lots of possessions with some good passes. But don't be fooled. He also makes crap mistakes. No more games for Addison. He is not part of our future.

Stack
Amazing that he wasn't delisted last year. Amazing that he got games this year. What were they thinking?

Cross
His game has improved somewhat lately as he has been going the run forward and long(ish) kick forward (as opposed to his usual dinky-doo handpass and backwards kick). I have been pleased to see this. But on Friday night when under pressure out came the dinky-doo hand-pass that was stuffed up as the receiver was tackled and down the gurgler went another goal.

Roughead.
Not as good as Minson yet, but can improve with more game time. He seems to have what it takes. Part of our future.

Akermanis
A better player than Johnson and should be played in preference to Brad Johnson but not in preference to one of the young guys.

Tim Callan
Not part of our future.

Harbrow.
Well I saw the game on Friday night but I don't understand what this guy was supposed to be doing. Has he fallen out of form?

Shaggy
As was stated by someone else, didn't think he was playing at one stage until he popped up with a mark on the half-back flank. Fallen out of form and ripe for the chop.

Hill
I know you can get frustrated by him. But, but he takes these marks and kicks these goals and sticks his hand here and there and does these unusual things. He is borderline but I would like to see him given some encouragement and that might improve his game.

Williams
Has played a lot of games now and I can't see where he has really been tested. He doesn't seem to have been given any really tough jobs. I would like to see his mettle and put him in the team and match him up against their best and see what he is really made of. I can't form an opinion on him because he has not yet had it tough.

So given those opinions:

Out: Reid and Minson if injured.
Out Hahn and Johnson because they are crap.In: Everitt and Roughead.
In: Williams and Hill

I seriously can't wait till our LEGEND get's his body right and he will! Just so I stop having to read or hear these sort of comments. What Johnno might lack at the moment he more than makes up for with Leadership and Morale. A little more respect is needed please.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I seriously can't wait till our LEGEND get's his body right and he will! Just so I stop having to read or hear these sort of comments. What Johnno might lack at the moment he more than makes up for with Leadership and Morale. A little more respect is needed please.

yeah, poor post.
Still, I really think it is lack of leadership that has cost us this season. A Hodge or a Mitchell type. Really hope Johnno can get back into the swing of it. I would rather have him than several others.

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Yep all the more reason to keep him in the side. If hese injured so be it, but we need him more than ever now. I have my fingers and toes crossed.

Mantis
07-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Out: Reid, Minson (both injured), Hahn

B: Harbrow, Lake, Gilbee
HB: Hargrave, Morris, Wood
C: Griffen, Cross, Picken
HF: Grant, Murphy, Higgins
F: Giansiracusa, Hall, Johnson
R: Hudson, Boyd, Cooney

Int: Everitt, Roughead, Ward, Hill

---------

* Picken to shut out Kade Simpson who is already sleeping in the Carlton change room.
* Cross to 'tag' Gibbs - not run with tag.
* Cooney to play on and beat Judd.
* Gilbee to Betts, Harbrow to Garlett & Wood to Yarran.
* Everitt to play a utility role such that he spends time in all 'zones'.

Mofra
07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
^^^ Interesting selections.

Given Betts form as their most effective current forward, I'd be inclined to consider Morris for the role. If Williams comes back (as some have suggested) we can afford Morris to go to a small.

Mantis
07-07-2010, 12:53 PM
^^^ Interesting selections.

Given Betts form as their most effective current forward, I'd be inclined to consider Morris for the role. If Williams comes back (as some have suggested) we can afford Morris to go to a small.

I made the conscious decision not to bring Williams back - I just don't no what he offers our team.... If Williams plays Morris could probably go 'small', but I think our team looks and plays better when Morris plays on a tall.

The only reason I would play Williams was if Lake was going to play as a permanent forward.

LostDoggy
07-07-2010, 01:01 PM
I seriously think we need some new fresh blood in our forward line, at the moment we have players like Hahn down there who pretty much knows hes not going to get dropped, if we brought in a Hooper or Jones they would try their guts out (like Grant) because they know it could be their only opportunity!

Hahn offers nothing, Johnson should probably have a few games at Willy just to get his body right, same with Higgins, Aker is not the answer to our forward lines problems.

By the way my mate who was helping out at the train with the team day said Higgins got knocked out, so I wonder how he will pull up.

We need our players to WANT to play, to WANT to win, to WORK HARDER if they make a mistake and FIX IT!

mjp
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM

B: Harbrow, Lake, Gilbee
HB: Hargrave, Morris, Wood
C: Griffen, Cross, Picken
HF: Grant, Murphy, Higgins
F: Giansiracusa, Hall, Johnson
R: Hudson, Boyd, Cooney

Int: Everitt, Roughead, Ward, Hill

I don't mind this. With Kreuzer out I would tell Hudson to suck it up, use Everitt to give him 2 x 2 min spells each quarter and player an extra runner in place of Roughead.

We dont want to be caught going tall against these guys and having either Moles or Callan or Addison available as an extra defensive option on the Betts/Yarran/Garlett triumvirate would be useful on game-day.

Mofra
07-07-2010, 01:51 PM
We need our players to WANT to play, to WANT to win, to WORK HARDER if they make a mistake and FIX IT!
Eade has said a number of times in the past few weeks it isn't workrate that is killing us, it's decision making and skill (it's clearly down on last year).

I'd be inclined to look at our better ball users when the MC meet, so DFA/Callan/Addison probably aren't the guys I'd be looking to promote.

LostDoggy
07-07-2010, 02:02 PM
By the way my mate who was helping out at the train with the team day said Higgins got knocked out, so I wonder how he will pull up.

Should have kicked that goal ;)

Mantis re: Tag on Gibbs, hasn't Gibbs been playing more of a roving role across HB for the last few games for Carlton, similar to what Coooney has been playing. I haven't noticed a great deal of drive from both players (from the Blues matches i've seen).

Mantis
07-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I'd be inclined to look at our better ball users when the MC meet, so DFA/Callan/Addison probably aren't the guys I'd be looking to promote.

That would leave.....

Only ones left would be Moles & Eagleton.

Mantis
07-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Mantis re: Tag on Gibbs, hasn't Gibbs been playing more of a roving role across HB for the last few games for Carlton, similar to what Coooney has been playing. I haven't noticed a great deal of drive from both players (from the Blues matches i've seen).

Yeah he has mainly been playing across HB, but I would think he will move into the midfield this week.

If he plays in defence I would be using Gia to shut him down.

mjp
07-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Don't disagree...but who else is there?

I just think we need at least one small defender 'spare' this week...we need an extra we can throw at one of them if they start getting away from us.

Mantis
07-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I just think we need at least one small defender 'spare' this week...we need an extra we can throw at one of them if they start getting away from us.

Hargrave could move onto one of these 3 if needed couldn't he?

LostDoggy
07-07-2010, 02:14 PM

It wont happen, but i can think of one small user of the ball, who has funny hair and talks too much, who's got experience in that position.

Would be a good challenge to prove his worth to teammates and the club.

mjp
07-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Hargrave could move onto one of these 3 if needed couldn't he?

I guess, but we don't seem to be using him in that role this year (or last for that matter) so I am not sure the mc would agree. Seem to be focused on freeing up Shaggy to play as a pseudo wingman/running hb.

Mantis
07-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I guess, but we don't seem to be using him in that role this year (or last for that matter) so I am not sure the mc would agree. Seem to be focused on freeing up Shaggy to play as a pseudo wingman/running hb.

We do, but when the oppositions strength is its mid to small forwards we need all hands on deck, that includes Hargrave.

LostDoggy
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Eade has said a number of times in the past few weeks it isn't workrate that is killing us, it's decision making and skill (it's clearly down on last year).

I thought DFA was Addison? Don't tell me there's two DFAs!! :eek:

Mofra
07-07-2010, 03:14 PM

Everitt is one I was thinking of - if Roughy comes into the side, his work resting forward will split their tall defenders to give Hall more chance of getting the ball one out, which I thought was Hahn's job pre-season.

I know the club have queries over Everitt's pace, but his ball use is top notch. Eagle is another who uses the ball well.
I don't rate Moles' use under pressure and for mine he is an inside mid back-up option.

I would think if Morris doesn't start on a small, he will be there for plan B. Picken can go back if need be too.

mjp
07-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Everitt is one I was thinking of.

But he was already in!

Mofra
07-07-2010, 05:08 PM
But he was already in!
Sorry, didn't realise you were talking about the theoretical ins from higher up - thought this was in general.

azabob
07-07-2010, 06:32 PM

* Gilbee to Betts, Harbrow to Garlett & Wood to Yarran.

Gilbee and Harbrow on two very very dangerous forwards like Betts and Garlett worry me a lot. Especially Harbrow on Garlett.

My concern is Harbrow is the player most likely to run and bounce his way out of defence but he is also only a 50/50 chance of hitting a target. If he turns it over Garlett will be used on the way back through and most likely hurt us on the score board.

comrade
07-07-2010, 06:37 PM
* Picken to shut out Kade Simpson who is already sleeping in the Carlton change room.

He room-mates with Lenny Hayes and Luke Hodge.

azabob
07-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't mind this. With Kreuzer out I would tell Hudson to suck it up, use Everitt to give him 2 x 2 min spells each quarter and player an extra runner in place of Roughead.

I like this idea.

Then the week after I'd look to rest Hudson as its a trip to Darwin and bring him back for the game against Fremantle.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I seriously think we need some new fresh blood in our forward line, at the moment we have players like Hahn down there who pretty much knows hes not going to get dropped,

Mitch has been pretty ineffective in more than one game this year. Actually I am a big fan of Mitch, but I feel he has never been the same since that heavy knock he took earlier in the year. Is there anyone inside the club or who has contacts inside the club who can state what the story is there? I'm not calling for him to be shot ( like some other posters! ) but I can't quite define his role in the team now that we have Barry and feel that he works hard, but is out of touch. In short, I really agree with Doggies FTW; fresh blood needed.

azabob
07-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Mitch has been pretty ineffective in more than one game this year. Actually I am a big fan of Mitch, but I feel he has never been the same since that heavy knock he took earlier in the year. Is there anyone inside the club or who has contacts inside the club who can state what the story is there? I'm not calling for him to be shot ( like some other posters! ) but I can't quite define his role in the team now that we have Barry and feel that he works hard, but is out of touch. In short, I really agree with Doggies FTW; fresh blood needed.

Not even two weeks ago you were the only one calling for Mitch to stay in the team, what has changed your mind?

Go_Dogs
07-07-2010, 07:03 PM
He room-mates with Lenny Hayes and Luke Hodge.

I imagine there are quite a few bookings down there.

comrade
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I imagine there are quite a few bookings down there.

That could be a thread in itself.

Leon Davis, Jimmy Bartel, Drew Petrie etc

Back to the topic, Everitt as second ruck definitely has merit. What do we do with him when Hudson is on the ground?

Mantis
07-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Gilbee and Harbrow on two very very dangerous forwards like Betts and Garlett worry me a lot. Especially Harbrow on Garlett.

My concern is Harbrow is the player most likely to run and bounce his way out of defence but he is also only a 50/50 chance of hitting a target. If he turns it over Garlett will be used on the way back through and most likely hurt us on the score board.

Harbrow is still pretty good defender, sure he has had a couple of bad ones recently, but he torched Milne who has been the best performed small forward this year earlier in the season when he helped himself to 36 touches and kept Milne to just 12.

Harbrow also performed pretty well on Betts last year (his 1st run the small defender role).

I'm pretty confident that Harbrow can keep Garlett under a tightish rein while still providing drive from defence.

The Pie Man
07-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Harbrow is still pretty good defender, sure he has had a couple of bad ones recently, but he torched Milne who has been the best performed small forward this year earlier in the season when he helped himself to 36 touches and kept Milne to just 12.

Harbrow also performed pretty well on Betts last year (his 1st run the small defender role).

I'm pretty confident that Harbrow can keep Garlett under a tightish rein while still providing drive from defence.

Really? I seem to remember quite the opposite - he certainly got better at the role, but it wasn't a spectacular start. JH 12 touches, EB 13 touches and 3 goals.

choconmientay
07-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Bad news for Sam Reid. He's out for the season. I feel for him. He work so hard and just got back to the senior team :( Read more here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/97720/default.aspx)

AndrewP6
07-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Bad news for Sam Reid. He's out for the season. I feel for him. He work so hard and just got back to the senior team :( Read more here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/97720/default.aspx)

Just read that, and was about to post it! hard luck for the bloke, but good to hear they're being proactive in doing it now so he can get hopefully rehab it quickly.

As a side note, notice they refer to diabetes as a 'disease'? I know it's probably just semantics, but to me a disease is something contagious... having been born with a medical condition that is frequently referred to as a disease, it always bothered me.

Mantis
07-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Really? I seem to remember quite the opposite - he certainly got better at the role, but it wasn't a spectacular start. JH 12 touches, EB 13 touches and 3 goals.

IIRC Betts kicked a couple of goals when the game was done & dusted. From memory I thought Harbrow acquitted himself well in the role.

Anyway I am not asking Harbrow to play on Betts who is Carlton's best forward... I want him to play on the less dangerous Garlett.

DOG GOD
07-07-2010, 09:53 PM
As a side note, notice they refer to diabetes as a 'disease'? I know it's probably just semantics, but to me a disease is something contagious... having been born with a medical condition that is frequently referred to as a disease, it always bothered me.

I guess AndrewP6, that its just in terms of a "condition" they refer to. They always class conditions like MS and other auto immune conditions as diseases as well. I guess something that you arent born with but the body "gets" later on is classed as a disease that "hinders" your life in some way.

AndrewP6
07-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I guess AndrewP6, that its just in terms of a "condition" they refer to. They always class conditions like MS and other auto immune conditions as diseases as well.

Yeah, probably just me being fussy! ;)

The Pie Man
07-07-2010, 10:28 PM
IIRC Betts kicked a couple of goals when the game was done & dusted. From memory I thought Harbrow acquitted himself well in the role.

Anyway I am not asking Harbrow to play on Betts who is Carlton's best forward... I want him to play on the less dangerous Garlett.

I seem to remember thinking Harbrow as a BP was an experiment gone wrong (had to hand it to Eade a few weeks later when it became clear it was working) but I can't find anything to support that on here - what I did find were notes from you on the game mentioning he was one of our better players in the 3rd qtr (we stunk that day)

And agree on Harbrow on Garlett, would be a good match up.

ledge
08-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Minson was on triple M last night said he is okay to play, also mentioned the peoples beard, discussed his poisoning and other quite funny topics.

Ghost Dog
08-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Not even two weeks ago you were the only one calling for Mitch to stay in the team, what has changed your mind?

As I said, I'm a fan, but two weeks ago was two weeks ago. There were some plays against Hawthorn - Season is on the line now and all options are on the table. Against a fast, smaller side have to think of different options.