PDA

View Full Version : Why I love the bulldogs, even when they lose

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 02:10 AM
"Ignore the result" said rocket to the players
" Put in the effort and the result will take care of itself".

Supporters too I reckon, should heed this advice.

In the words of Doug Hawkins WOOF WOOF WOOF

THIS is what I love about our club.
The supporters are decent, ( well, most are that I meet )
The supporter base is working class and western suburbs.
It's a club on the rise and loved by many decent people with real character.
Our strip and song are great ( Imagine barracking for Freo heave ho?)
The people around the club from the top down are not dickheads. ( McGuire, Kennett, etc etc )
I love the professionalism that surrounds the club.

I know heaps of non-supporters from other clubs that rate us as their second team.
The more they lose the harder I will barrack. Screw it, after last night I plan to upgrade my membership!

Swallow some concrete and harden up!
what makes you keep supporting the red white and blue when times are tough?

GO DOGS

angelopetraglia
03-07-2010, 02:15 AM
Yes I love them and support them when times are good or poor. Always.

But in the words of the Hawk, gee whiz they drive me crazy.

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Impressed with the positivity, Ghost Dog... can't argue with your list of reasons for loving the club. However, I know there are a lot of people who've followed the team for decades, and losses like this one (and a number of others in recent times) are hard to swallow. Especially when we're close to the big dance, but just not good enough to get there. We could be good enough, but just can't get the job done. And that's disappointing. I'm sure we'll all be back again next week though. Just telling people who've followed the team for decades (in some cases longer than I've been alive) to harden up is a bit unfair, I think. I for one, would love the Dogs to (in the words of EJ) "Stick it up 'em"..

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 02:57 AM
I will always love the Bulldogs, but one GF would be nice in my lifetime....And even more so for the people older then me

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 03:04 AM
I will always love the Bulldogs, but one GF would be nice in my lifetime.

An Essendon supporter I know was whining because he thought it would be a long time before his team made it back into a grand final. :rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
03-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Impressed with the positivity, Ghost Dog... can't argue with your list of reasons for loving the club. However, I know there are a lot of people who've followed the team for decades, and losses like this one (and a number of others in recent times) are hard to swallow. Especially when we're close to the big dance, but just not good enough to get there. We could be good enough, but just can't get the job done. And that's disappointing. I'm sure we'll all be back again next week though. Just telling people who've followed the team for decades (in some cases longer than I've been alive) to harden up is a bit unfair, I think. I for one, would love the Dogs to (in the words of EJ) "Stick it up 'em"..

Meh, Geelong went through it. Look at how they have used that to become ,possibly, one of the greatest clubs in history. They would have never become the club they are without their miserable 'almost-a-flag' history.
Bit Unfair? Don't you think some of the negative, emotional comments are unfair? ( "Hopeless", reach for the razor blades etc etc. Hence the call to Harden up. EJ Whitten would have never said " Call for the Razor blades! )
Ok, instead of 'harden up', try extending your hand and giving yourself a pat on the back. Suffer on and smile.
We are " Supporters ", right. Our Job is to support, if one has barracked for 100 years or 1. A defend anyone's right to vent as that what a forum is for. But keep some perspective! Honestly, some of the comments on here have been fine, I'm gutted too. But some are a bit over the top.
There were some great performances last night and a few players will be dropped. That's sport. It's never the same twice and next time will be different I am sure. Can't wait for next weeks game.

Curly5
03-07-2010, 06:44 PM
An Essendon supporter I know was whining because he thought it would be a long time before his team made it back into a grand final. :rolleyes:

I remember after West Coast won it in 2006 a joyful fan was interviewed, crying, and claiming "We've waited so long!"

Well, I'm one of the older Bulldog supporters and I'm getting very worried about seeing a flag in my lifetime. :(

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 11:00 PM
I remember after West Coast won it in 2006 a joyful fan was interviewed, crying, and claiming "We've waited so long!"

Well, I'm one of the older Bulldog supporters and I'm getting very worried about seeing a flag in my lifetime. :(

Curly5 - I'm one too, 46 years a supporter for me - (not old, just experienced), and nah, I'm going to keep the faith - we will do it, I just know it! Don't get me wrong, I'm as shattered as the next person, but in the end, I'm always going to support the dogs, and take the good with the bad. 1997 was bad...........and I guess I could go on, but let's keep it in perspective. I've been high fiving other supporters at games when we cleaned up the opposition as well. All part of the emotional rollercoaster ride of sport, and in particular, AFL I guess!

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=Ghost Dog;162035]"Ignore the result" said rocket to the players

The more they lose the harder I will barrack. Screw it, after last night I plan to upgrade my membership!

[QUOTE]

Hey Ghost Dog, is that like "suck it up princess!"????? Love your positive spin, and that plan to upgrade your membership! Good for you!

Remi Moses
03-07-2010, 11:29 PM
I will always love the Bulldogs, but one GF would be nice in my lifetime....And even more so for the people older then me

Enough of the feel good rubbish the supporters deserve better!:rolleyes:

Remi Moses
03-07-2010, 11:34 PM

Couldn't agree more. Ridiculous
to tell fans to harden up! My lifetime every side has made the GF bar Freo. Pretty sad really:(

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Couldn't agree more. Ridiculous
to tell fans to harden up! My lifetime every side has made the GF bar Freo. Pretty sad really:(

When you get supporters ( see game day posts ) calling for the 'razor blades', harden up is all I can think of. Better suggestion?

AndrewP6
04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
When you get supporters ( see game day posts ) calling for the 'razor blades', harden up is all I can think of. Better suggestion?

I honestly think the razor blades bit was said with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=Ghost Dog;162035]"Ignore the result" said rocket to the players

[QUOTE]

Hey Ghost Dog, is that like "suck it up princess!"????? Love your positive spin, and that plan to upgrade your membership! Good for you!

I don't know. may have been a lame post but I got sick of all the doom and gloom. It was a 3 point game * shrugs *.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I honestly think the razor blades bit was said with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Have a read through the posts, you will find plenty of doom and gloom. "Ghosts in the Western Oval change rooms" etc etc.

" Why can't anyone ever step up?" etc etc.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Enough of the feel good rubbish the supporters deserve better!:rolleyes:

If you don't like "Feel good " threads don't read them!

EasternWest
04-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Have a read through the posts, you will find plenty of doom and gloom. "Ghosts in the Western Oval change rooms" etc etc.

I tried to explain it to you GD. It's not about one three point game *shrug*. If it were just that people wouldn't feel that way. It is, unfortunately, the oh so familiar feeling of opportunity slipping away again.

AndrewP6
04-07-2010, 03:11 PM

I've read them all, and this sums it up well:

I tried to explain it to you GD. It's not about one three point game *shrug*. If it were just that people wouldn't feel that way. It is, unfortunately, the oh so familiar feeling of opportunity slipping away again.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, as I said, it's not Barry or Easton or Jarrod's fault we lost in '08. To me, it was just one game we lost by three points.
Long term Supporters can't help but see it any other way I guess, as a 'trend' or 'pattern of loss' or near misses. To me, it's just a single game with no relationship to '08.

Below is the kind of post I refer to. Does not sound ' tongue in cheek to me'.

Yep, we're done. Play the kids now, and look forward to the next few years.

****, I hate losing games like that this. I'd rather be hammered, like the first Lions game.

Even the ****ing Tigers are looking better than us, now.

AndrewP6
04-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Well, as I said, it's not Barry or Easton or Jarrod's fault we lost in '08. To me, it was just one game we lost by three points.
Long term Supporters can't help but see it any other way I guess, as a 'trend' or 'pattern of loss' or near misses. To me, it's just a single game with no relationship to '08.

Below is the kind of post I refer to. Does not sound ' tongue in cheek to me'.

Yep, we're done. Play the kids now, and look forward to the next few years.

****, I hate losing games like that this. I'd rather be hammered, like the first Lions game.

Even the ****ing Tigers are looking better than us, now.

Emotion does strange things to people. Whilst I don't believe we're done, or worse than the Tigers, and that we have played some kids, I do hate losing games like that, and I probably would rather be hammered. The key word is "games"

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Emotion does strange things to people. Whilst I don't believe we're done, or worse than the Tigers, and that we have played some kids, I do hate losing games like that, and I probably would rather be hammered. The key word is "games"

Seriously?? you would rather be hammered? Why?
Better to lose by a fighter's margin I say.

AndrewP6
04-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Seriously?? you would rather be hammered? Why?
Better to lose by a fighter's margin I say.

Because when you lose by a mile, there's never any letdown of losing a game you could've/should've won. It's terribly disappointing, and at least with a belting you're never in the hunt, and you can kind of resign yourself to that. We were in the hunt, and found wanting. Sure, it's good to know you're that close, but as others have said, being close but just not good enough (so often) is shattering.

azabob
04-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Because when you lose by a mile, there's never any letdown of losing a game you could've/should've won. It's terribly disappointing, and at least with a belting you're never in the hunt, and you can kind of resign yourself to that. We were in the hunt, and found wanting. Sure, it's good to know you're that close, but as others have said, being close but just not good enough (so often) is shattering.

Overall I dont agree with what Ghostdog is saying, but to say you'd prefer to lose each game by 10 goals or more is one of the more silly things I have heard or seen.

Andrew going to the footy in the Rhode years was not fun at all, going during the Eade years has been a hell of a lot better - Regardless of how close we get or don't get.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Sorry for being a half-glass full supporter. But I disagree with your view and David Parkin was of a similar view on the Radio. Players who are usually good at hitting a target slaughtered the ball in terms of accuracy. It was a poor performance on the night, but does not mean this group of players is per se "wanting" or categorically 'not good enough".

Others may have said that about Hawthorn earlier in the year. Now look at them

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Overall I dont agree with what Ghostdog is saying, but to say you'd prefer to lose each game by 10 goals or more is one of the more silly things I have heard or seen.

Andrew going to the footy in the Rhode years was not fun at all, going during the Eade years has been a hell of a lot better - Regardless of how close we get or don't get.

So what's your point of contention?

EasternWest
04-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Sorry for being a half-glass full supporter. But I disagree with your view and David Parkin was of a similar view on the Radio. Players who are usually good at hitting a target slaughtered the ball in terms of accuracy. It was a poor performance on the night, but does not mean this group of players is per se "wanting" or categorically 'not good enough".

Don't need to apologise for that, and you're always entitled to your opinion. I don't see myself as a doom and gloom kind of supporter (though I do have my moments), but our failure to this point to come anywhere near our pre-seasons/last few years expectations and hopes just isn't really that surprising given that we've managed to fall short on so many occasions.

Noone is saying anyone is responsible for 08, but the "ghost in the changeroom (I like that analogy, I'm borrowing it)" seems to be a menatlity that pervades the club itself.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Don't need to apologise for that, and you're always entitled to your opinion. I don't see myself as a doom and gloom kind of supporter (though I do have my moments), but our failure to this point to come anywhere near our pre-seasons/last few years expectations and hopes just isn't really that surprising given that we've managed to fall short on so many occasions.

Noone is saying anyone is responsible for 08, but the "ghost in the changeroom (I like that analogy, I'm borrowing it)" seems to be a menatlity that pervades the club itself.

That's cool. That's your view and I can totally understand it. It's hard to block out memories and focus on the present.
But I look at the new generation of coaches ( Bomber thompson, Mark Harvey, etc ) who have turned around clubs that have really seen terrible lows and the way they talk about these things. It really gives me confidence in where the club is going.

For me, there is no narrative, no "ghosts".

EasternWest
04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
That's cool. That's your view and I can totally understand it. It's hard to block out memories and focus on the present.
But I look at the new generation of coaches ( Bomber thompson, Mark Harvey, etc ) who have turned around clubs that have really seen terrible lows and the way they talk about these things. It really gives me confidence in where the club is going.

For me, there is no narrative, no "ghosts".

I think me too, despite the rumbling, grumbling, huffing and puffing ;).

AndrewP6
04-07-2010, 08:47 PM

I didn't say I'd prefer to lose each game by that margin. Point I was making was that it would sit more comfortably with me knowing that we were actually beaten by a better side, rather than being competitive but just not good enough to actually win the game. I remember the Rohde years too, and no, they weren't fun. But now we're in the position of being in winnable games, and not being able to get it done. And that frustrates the hell out of me. People have commented to me a number of times since Friday, what a terrific contest it was, and I just can't concur with them. If my team is playing, a tough contest we don't win is an awful result.

AndrewP6
04-07-2010, 08:54 PM

No need to apologise, I'd be thrilled to be more optimistic.
Yes, it was a poor performance on the night. As it was against Collingwood in Rd 1, Brisbane Rd 4, St Kilda in Rd 6, Essendon Rd 10 and Collingwood Rd 11. It's more than just one game that is the issue, and why I stated we're not good enough. The best teams win those games they need to win, and are able to finish games off when opportunities arise. We don't/can't do that.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2010, 08:38 PM
I see your point fully. Goes to show, you need four quarters of top football and never take your foot off the pedal. Can anyone say we have really put together a four quarter performance yet?
That part IS frustrating. When you have the skills, but can't pay the bills.
It is encouraging to see young blokes coming through. Wood and Grant don't seem to gas out.

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 09:54 PM
We all get kicked in the guts now and again, maybe thats the feeling of Griffin when the siren went? But as does the players have to do week in and out there is nexts weeks game to redeem themselves and get those 4 points.

Look at the ladder Woofers, Tigers are well out of the 8 and we can still fight on for a Grand Final berth,
Go Dogs!

EasternWest
05-07-2010, 11:52 PM
We all get kicked in the guts now and again, maybe thats the feeling of Griffin when the siren went? But as does the players have to do week in and out there is nexts weeks game to redeem themselves and get those 4 points.

Look at the ladder Woofers, Tigers are well out of the 8 and we can still fight on for a Grand Final berth,
Go Dogs!

Who? (pet hate).

LostDoggy
06-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Who? (pet hate).

You know Ryan Griffin, he usually plays close to Ryan Hargreave. :p

The Boy From Brasil
06-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Warning tl;dr post approaching

We all love the Bulldogs even when we lose. It is dissappointing though for us not to witness a premiership. I have always said that I am not greedy, one premiership in a lifetime is all I require :)

There was so much premiership optimism at the start of the year, and given that we are 8-6, you can sense the deflating of the balloon with fellow supporters, almost the burst of the bubble. I can understand this in a way as top four looks out of reach, and therefore our premiership hopes look not as strong as the years start. But I think that it is only just half way through the season, so it is not all over until it is over. Maybe our expectation for a 2010 premiership is not there, but the hope and opportunity certainly is.

Seeing us come so close but not win the premiership is hard for all the supporters, but I feel sorry for the older ones who have gone through a lot of heartache and there must be some sense of doomed fate with it all. I guess how battle scarred you are, depends on how old you are or when you first supported the club. I read a poster(Dry Rot?) say that he started supporting the club in 98, and remember thinking at the time what impeccible timing it was to miss 97.

The way I tend to look at it though, is what a loyal and resilient lot the bulldogs supporters are and how many positive qualities they have. It would be easy to support a new franchise or one of the bigger clubs, to have more chance of a premiership. Much harder but more rewarding IMO to support the doggies.

I did a post last year(really long winded) on what makes a bulldog supporter, so given the thread subject thought it might be worth repeating to keep our spirits up.:)

One of the things I sometimes wonder(when I am bored of course), is why people support certain teams. What is in a persons pysche to lean them towards supporting a particular team. And from then, the next leap of logic, is to wonder what personalities or traits are common within Bulldogs supporters.

I had a think about it and came up with the following!

LOYALTY

Lets face it, to be a Doggies Supporter, you have to be loyal. And have it in spades. It is an essential pre requisite. We have only won one premiership(before most posters on here were born) and have spent many a year towards the bottom of the ladder. So you don't support the Bulldogs if you want to be guaranteed success or bragging rights at your school or work place. Bandwagoners and fair weather supporters are not ever found amongst the Bulldogs supporting ranks.

We support the club because we love it, pure and simple, and develop a long life loyalty from there. Even when our club has been down the bottom of the ladder and even though it has the smallest membership base. and not had the money and facilities that other clubs have had, at no stage do we ever think, or contemplate for one one single minute to switch allegiances. Our conscience and over riding sense of loyalty would never allow it.

This characteristic of loyalty defines us as a Bulldogs supporter and sets us apart from many supporters of other clubs. As this loyalty transposes itself into our other forms of life, it also has the ability to distinguish us from other people in everyday life as well. Whether it be family, relationships, friends, work or whatever situation, this sense of loyalty is there.

Many supporters from other clubs look down at us and see Bulldogs supporters as losers. However I see us as winners. Loyalty is one of the most important human traits there is and we can be relied upon to never sell ourselves out, no matter how how attractive or enticing the alternative offer.

SUPPORTING THE UNDERDOG

As Doggies supporters, invariably we have a part of our personality where we are drawn to supporting the underdog. And this is an admirable trait and it is also a very Australian trait, that stems from as far back as the miners strike or the man who issued the words before Ben Cousins did "Such is life" in Ned Kelly.

And we do support the underdog. We support David versus Goliath. And this supporting of the underdog manifested itself when we took on the AFL in 1989 and won, and restored our team from death back into the competition.

Whether it be our lack of success, our only one premiership, our low membership base or our working class background, there are many reasons why we are the underdog of the competition. And by supporting the doggies, we support the underdog and take the high risk and high reward path, rather than the safe and non risky path.

DOWN TO EARTH

Bulldogs supporters are the most down to earth people you could find. Our clubs, its history and many of our early memories as a supporter, all reside in the western suburbs of Melbourne; the home of the working class.

We identify success with an honest days work, an hard work ethic and doing the best you can rather than excessive weath and materialism. We do not need exuberant displays of prosperity to define us as people.

Being pretentious is something that the average Bulldogs supporter does not identify with. We do not need to boast or falsely impress to be comfortable in life.

HEALTHY SELF ESTEEM

Generally Doggies Supporters have a very healthy self esteem. We do not dine out on other peoples success and use it to reflect our own or why we are superior to others. If we were that way inclined we would have supported some of the power clubs or interstate franchises.

We have enough common sense to differentiate between judging ourselves as a person and the success or otherwise of our football team we support. Unlike some other teams supporters, we do not need our team to win a premiership to make us feel important human beings. It would be wonderful of course for the doggies to win a premiership, but we are not insecure that we hide behind team premierships to say that we are winners.

FATALISTIC

Unfortunately, with only one premiership and the horrors of such finals as 97 and 09, we tend to be fatalistic with a touch of negativity thrown in. In our subconcious is the thought that our premiership chances or mischances are predetermined and no matter what the team does, the final result is inevitable.

Destiny and bad luck all play their part in reasons why we havn't managed to witness a premiership in our lifetime and this effects our thinking to the point that we question whether it is meant to be.

RESILIENT

The deeds of 1989 show how resilient we are as a supporter group. By not letting the AFL kill us off, despite the overwheling odds against us, we never gave in and allowed inevitably to become fact. We have the attitude that no matter what they throw at us, we always will prevail.

ENJOYING THE CHALLENGE

That elusive premiership is what drives us as supporters. It is the golden rainbow or the mirage at the end of a dry and dusty desert. The more we long for it, the further away it seems.

As Bulldogs supporters, even though we long for that premiership drought to break, we still love the thrill of the chase and we still enjoy the journey along the way to the final destination:witnessing a premiership in our lifetime

Chicago1
06-07-2010, 12:19 PM

This is kind of the difference between the '97 and '98 PFs. I cried at the end of the '97PF since we came soooooo close to winning. I was resigned to losing at half time of the '98 PF. By 3/4 time there was no question we'd lose. At the end of the match it didn't feel so bad.

However, I'd still prefer to be close even if we eventually lose. There is no shame in losing when you think your team gave its all. It's the "we should have won that one" match that I hate, especially when stupid errors mar the result.

Hey, I'm watching the Saints/Cats match on cable TV from Round 13 right now. Next Monday night they're showing our Friday night loss to Hawthorn. I just may miss that one. :(

EasternWest
06-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Warning tl;dr post approaching

tldr:D.

EasternWest
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
You know Ryan Griffin, he usually plays close to Ryan Hargreave. :p

Oh the guy Acker is always on about.

LostDoggy
06-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Good positivity GD, dont shoot him down guys, start your own miserable thread instead... 'Why me oh why oh why oh why'... lol...(I feel it too believe me!)

Why I love the dogs... I just couldnt support anyone else really, even when 'rooting' for another team I find it really hard. If it wasnt for the dogs I might only watch the odd game of footy, our play excites me...usually. I also like the fact that we have had far less than our share of knobs in the team than at any other club.
Aker was my favourite last year and its brain fade Brian this year. Seeing picken drill his way through about 5 Hawks players was magnificent. Glad we can pluck these players from obscurity and save some greats from ending their careeers too soon. I love seeing Barry Hall in a dogs jumper and I love our ruck combos, the best I have ever seen in Darcy and Wynd. Johno stood up for us almost single handedly for so long... Rohan Smith on the run, Eagleton on the run... James Cook anyone lol... Boyd and Morrises rise to the top of the game, only at the bulldogs... did I mention Brian Harris, both of them... I get excited when Will takes a Mark or manages to kick a drop punt. Liberatore and Romero? Should I go on....
The colours, the dog! The passion, the let downs will make the final victory so much sweeter... god I hope so!

Remi Moses
06-07-2010, 03:35 PM
If you don't like "Feel good " threads don't read them!

I'll enjoy a 'feel good " thread when there is something to feel good about I.E winning a crunch game!