PDA

View Full Version : Team Selection woes

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-07-2010, 08:50 AM
What a let down against Hawthorn? The Club has effectively gone from 3rd in 2009 to now a struggling 6th behind the big three,plus an emerging Fremantle and now Hawthorn. Chris Grant highlighted after the game that the WB had won 2 of its past 11 encounters against trendsetters, Geelong, St. Kilda and Collingwood. Thank goodness for Boyd, Lake, Harbrow, Gilbee and Hudson whose consistently good form throughout the year has camouflaged many weaknesses. The team desperately needs to find new talent like Jarrad Grant and Easton Wood have proved. Jordan Roughead should be brought in and propped at centre half forward for the sadly out of form Mitch Hahn, as we simply do not have anyone who can compete in the air up forward.
The decision to retain ageing bodies in Johnson, Hahn, Akermanis and Eagleton beyond 2009 is proving an achilles heel for the Bulldogs.
Given the fact that we were only defeated by 3 points with 5 players in Reid, Higgins, Hahn, Johnson and Ward non-contributors it could have been a lot worse. We didn't have a matchwinner like Luke Hodge and to a lesser extent Sam Mitchell.
The selection of the injury riddled Sam Reid was a poor one as his recent form at Williamstown didn't warrant selection.
Callan Ward should have come in three weeks ago at the expense of Brennan Stack which would have made him far better prepared for last night's tough contest.

GVGjr
03-07-2010, 09:01 AM
The decision to retain ageing bodies in Johnson, Hahn, Akermanis and Eagleton beyond 2009 is proving an achilles heel for the Bulldogs.

I think this is more of a question of list management than team selection but I was a strong advocate that we didn't cut into the list deep enough at the end of last season but to be honest, I was only recommending to let Eagleton go out of the group you have highlighted.
This wasn't a shot specifically at Eagleton but just a realisation that if we were to maintain Akermanis then we couldn't keep Eagleton. Johnson certainly had done enough to warrant another season and so had Aker which left Eagleton as the surplus oldie.
Still one additional older player should be an issue for a full list and a full book of rookies.

The selection of the injury riddled Sam Reid was a poor one as his recent form at Williamstown didn't warrant selection.
Callan Ward should have come in three weeks ago at the expense of Brennan Stack which would have made him far better prepared for last night's tough contest.

I like Reid and he has been in good form for Williamstown but I wasn't strong on his inclusion because he just doesn't appear to be fit enough for games at a higher level. We gambled on adding a stronger body against a strong opposition and due to copping some knocks during the game it hasn't worked but I don't think it was a bad selection.

Regarding Ward, there was no way he was really ready 3 weeks ago and even for the trip to Perth we didn't want to bring back too many injured players back on the same week and it probably came down to either Johnson or Ward.

Topdog
03-07-2010, 09:48 AM
What a let down against Hawthorn? The Club has effectively gone from 3rd in 2009 to now a struggling 6th behind the big three,plus an emerging Fremantle and now Hawthorn.

We are 5th and Hawthorn are currently 7th.

So Ward should have come back after playing 1 half of Williamstown reserves football? I don't think so.

Time is up for Hahn I think.

Ozza
03-07-2010, 10:16 AM
We are 5th and Hawthorn are currently 7th.

So Ward should have come back after playing 1 half of Williamstown reserves football? I don't think so.

Time is up for Hahn I think.

I can't see how they could possibly justify playing Hahn. It's hard to watch him go around this badly.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 10:34 AM
I think the penny must drop for the MC with Mitch. He has shown glimses in the last few weeks with his switch down back, but last night he was virtually unsighted.

The game is constantly getting faster and disposal efficiency is key. Mitch either hits the ball sweet or murders it. This season we've seen his possessions per game drop & his hard-bodied place in the forward line taken by Hall. If the game hasn't passed a player of his skillset, then it's mighty close too, sadly.

I feel for Reidy. I wasn't sure about his inclusion due to fitness, but could see why the MC went with him for hardness. It now appears he's done at least one shoulder again. I hope he can comeback from this and that the problem can be corrected because we are desperatly short on young MF coming through. A Reid that can never get fit is a massive hole for us.

comrade
03-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I can't see how they could possibly justify playing Hahn. It's hard to watch him go around this badly.

We apparantly don't have anyone else who can do his role. What that role is, I have no idea :rolleyes:

Bumper Bulldogs
03-07-2010, 10:56 AM

I for one thought it was his time to shine last night as the opposition and conditions are made for a player of Mitch, disappointing yes indeed however with the injuries we have had it may have saved him from the chop prior to now.

I think this week if Williams, Tiller, Eagle, Stack and Hill all perform that will put pressure on his spot. But like week before these guys will more than likely just come out and go through the motions and Mitch will get another game.

For me last night Jonno and Ward did enough, Like others felt for Sam Reid.

Mofra
03-07-2010, 04:59 PM
We apparantly don't have anyone else who can do his role. What that role is, I have no idea :rolleyes:
If he's playing the swingman role I have no idea why Everitt isn't in. His pace issue doesn't compute when compared to Hahn. Everitt hasn't really defined a spot in the team but Hahn is in the senior side with just as little direction.

mjp
03-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I for one thought it was his time to shine last night as the opposition and conditions are made for a player of Mitch.

The problem with the 'wet conditions = hard bodies' synopsis which seems so common is that I don't know ANYONE on the list who doesn't 'go' when it is there turn. But skill turns games like last nights - witness Franklin's last goal, a magnificent effort - and Mitch is not the answer.

I think this week if Williams, Tiller, Eagle, Stack and Hill all perform that will put pressure on his spot.

Not sure about this either. Form at VFL level has not translated into AFL promotion. I truly believe we need Hill and his finishing skills in the team ahead of Mitch...and that Mitch should only play if Barry Hall is out.

EasternWest
03-07-2010, 05:46 PM
The problem with the 'wet conditions = hard bodies' synopsis which seems so common is that I don't know ANYONE on the list who doesn't 'go' when it is there turn.

There are a few.

Higgins.

I'm not a doubter, I think Higgins will become a great player but become is the key word. He needs to up his workrate, and he needs to go when it's his turn.

He needs a run of luck with his body as well, but injuries are obviously beyond his control.

Stack just doesn't.

Hill is selective.

That being said, three guys out of forty odd isn't bad, and given that they are all young and can learn/be taught/grow to harden up works in their favour.

Remi Moses
03-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Very good,and thought provoking. Our main problem last night was the butchering of the Sherrin inside 50,I think even Ward had a 25 % kicking efficiency at one stage he wasn't alone I'd love Higgins kicking efficiency stats !Eagleton is the only oldie I would have cut.
Hahn just offers a few on per centers and that's it and every game now you have to look around to see if he is actually playing!

Jasper
03-07-2010, 08:09 PM
...and that Mitch should only play if Barry Hall is out.

Completely agree. People also aren't mentioning the reason Barry was double and triple teamed all night. Not at game but if Mitch was forward then tipping Mitch's man played on Barry. Can't see why Everitt shouldn't play in Mitch's role, at least he can run, is good overhead and is a better kick.

Also interested in Williams, with him out I think we have looked more balanced, and if anyone is to go for Williams then the bloke offering the least run out of the backline should go....here's looking at you Ryan Hargrave.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Really disappointed with Higgins this year - continually turns the ball over. He used to have such sweet skills, maybe the injuries are catching up with him?

Hahn - I love the guy, busted a gut for the club, he has, but he has had an awful year, and we need a change. Surely we have more tough nuts in the club, who can play a forward bust-thru role?

soupman
03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
-The selection of the injury riddled Sam Reid was a poor one as his recent form at Williamstown didn't warrant selection.
-Callan Ward should have come in three weeks

Surely these two statements are somewhat hypocritical/contradictory

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Saw Sam Reid tonight - right shoulder in a sling and the other one not looking very flash either. Saw Rocket on Before the Game, and it was interesting he said Sam has never injured a shoulder before, and he got injured 3 times last night. First was the sub luxor? and the right one dislocated. Got both taped up, and then he got lined up again (Rocket wasn't quite so direct) and injured one of them again - not sure which one! Bugger! Then I saw footage of Johnno limping at the beach this morning at recovery - that doesn't look great either. Hope Aker can step up to the plate, get some form back and help us with his skills out on the park soon. Don't I recall Aker busting a game open either last year, or the year before, with 3 successive goals? In form, he can be so damaging and also inspiring.

WBFC4EVER
03-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Higgins has been turning the ball over way too much this year, even before he was injured.

Thought we needed one of Stack and Hill in the side last night as a finisher in place of Higgins (probably Stack). Aker would have been handy in the conditions too, as he is clean with the ball in the wet.

The Bullies game plan does not suit wet weather games and having a few gorillas down forward to aim at and plan your forward-line around is simple and effective footy in the wet.

Would be good to win a close game for a change. Can't remember the last time they got over the line in a close encounter?

azabob
03-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Higgins has been turning the ball over way too much this year, even before he was injured.

Thought we needed one of Stack and Hill in the side last night as a finisher in place of Higgins (probably Stack). Aker would have been handy in the conditions too, as he is clean with the ball in the wet.

The Bullies game plan does not suit wet weather games and having a few gorillas down forward to aim at and plan your forward-line around is simple and effective footy in the wet.

Would be good to win a close game for a change. Can't remember the last time they got over the line in a close encounter?

Against melbourne earlier this year.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 11:32 PM

Melbourne in the wet a few weeks ago. A goal less than a couple of minutes from time counts as close, I hope.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 05:08 PM

I kind of got used to it now!. What are the MC thinking?

Ghost Dog
04-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Melbourne, Round 7, 7th May V Melbourne.

LostDoggy
04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Time for left field. Replace Reid with Andrew Hooper for an in and under role to Barry Hall, running towards goal preferrably. We never seem to have anyone at the contest with Hall because we are too focused on getting him one on one. Higgins would do well in this role as a part time option but with his lack lustre performance and effort shown on Friday, I think we need to try something totally new and unexpected. Hooper would be a hard match-up when you think of the standard defensive six of both Carlton and Fremantle. IMHO

WBFC4EVER
04-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I should have said winning a close game against a team that is currently a serious title contender.

lemmon
04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Time for left field. Replace Reid with Andrew Hooper for an in and under role to Barry Hall, running towards goal preferrably. We never seem to have anyone at the contest with Hall because we are too focused on getting him one on one. Higgins would do well in this role as a part time option but with his lack lustre performance and effort shown on Friday, I think we need to try something totally new and unexpected. Hooper would be a hard match-up when you think of the standard defensive six of both Carlton and Fremantle. IMHO

I like it, particularly without Aker who has been quite a reliable crumber for us for a couple of years. We really lack someone to provide defensive pressure (which Hahn hasn't been doing) and play at Halls feet, Hooper seems like a guy who could provide this.

EasternWest
04-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I like it, particularly without Aker who has been quite a reliable crumber for us for a couple of years. We really lack someone to provide defensive pressure (which Hahn hasn't been doing) and play at Halls feet, Hooper seems like a guy who could provide this.

I don't mean to sound disparaging, but it looks to me like Hooper is carrying a bit too much to be able to last a game out. I stand to be corrected.

The Pie Man
04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I should have said winning a close game against a team that is currently a serious title contender.

Classic is a subjective term, but we never seem to win them.

Last game of high quality we pulled away in was Geelong round 21 last year - the 14 pt margin flattered us, that last quarter was tight. I walked away thinking we were a massive chance for the flag that night.

Interestingly, BJ, Hahn & Hill all had big nights. Take from that what you will

lemmon
04-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't mean to sound disparaging, but it looks to me like Hooper is carrying a bit too much to be able to last a game out. I stand to be corrected.

Surely he would have the fitness to play out a game as a forward pocket or half foward even if he is carrying a bit of weight.

Dazza
05-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Time to trial Rose?

Ghost Dog
05-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Williamstown is doing well at the moment. It would make sense to bring in a few young guns. Nothing to lose really now. The team we have stuck with for so long needs a shake up.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2010, 08:41 AM
There are a few.

Higgins.

I'm not a doubter, I think Higgins will become a great player but become is the key word. He needs to up his workrate, and he needs to go when it's his turn.

He needs a run of luck with his body as well, but injuries are obviously beyond his control.

Stack just doesn't.

Stack was in Williamstown's best on the weekend. If Mitch was relegated to the second's I'm not sure that he would be able to put in a BOG performance even there. So I think even Stack would be a better option than Hahn.

EasternWest
05-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Stack was in Williamstown's best on the weekend. If Mitch was relegated to the second's I'm not sure that he would be able to put in a BOG performance even there. So I think even Stack would be a better option than Hahn.

I call shenanigans! Selective quoting!

I wasn't referencing Stack's playing ability, but whether he will put his head over it or not. And at this stage he doesn't even look like it.

If you're basing your selection on that alone, then Mitch owns him.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I call shenanigans! Selective quoting!

I wasn't referencing Stack's playing ability, but whether he will put his head over it or not. And at this stage he doesn't even look like it.

If you're basing your selection on that alone, then Mitch owns him.

Ah yes. Well you have me there. He looks so 'dainty' at times. I remember the time when Barry was being swarmed on by North players. He just stood around flailing.