PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Hooper

Lurgan
04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Hooper had another good game for Williamstown today against Sandringham and finished with four goals. He's small (listed at 172 cm) and hardly looks like the speedy goalsneak we'd all like to see in the team. But he's strong, knows where to go to get the ball and knows where the goals are when he gets it.

After Reid's long term injury, is there a chance he might be upgraded from the rookie list?

macca
05-07-2010, 12:41 AM
If port can play banner and hitchcock, why not try Hooper ? What have we got to lose, another close game? We need an x-factor, and we have players on our list who should be playing games now.

dog town
05-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Given that he is performing at VFL level you would have concerns about our recruiting process if they were not considering him. If they see him as to slow and to small to warrant selection then why would we pick him up? They would have been well aware of these deficiencies prior to the draft. He could improve his pace slightly but they would know he is never going to be lightning quick.

stefoid
05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
We need an atttack dog in the forward line. Could he play that role? If they ever drop Mitch that is.

Lurgan
05-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't have any inside knowledge, but I would have thought he was chosen by the club because of his football smarts. It seems that at his height, though, these days you have to be exceptional to make it and maybe he will be.

His attack on the ball is very strong, but he wouldn't play a Mitch Hahn type role. He would mostly be the crumber. I've also seen him get into space on his own to accept passes, though, especially when there's a lot of concentration on Matthew Little. Just like there is on Barry Hall. Hooper's defensive skills seem good as well, at least at VFL level.

I don't believe in the 'anyone would be better than X' line of thinking, which is easy to say if you're not the match committee but could lead to completely under-prepared pups being smashed and demoralised. That's not good for the individual or the team.

On the other hand I was interested to hear the opinions of others who have seen Hooper play a lot at Williamstown about whether he's ready for promotion.

Swoop
05-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I believe his lack of speed is a myth, he is on record as recording some excellent sprint times, I recall Comrade referring to it previously.

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 01:24 PM
As a joint winner of the 2009 Larke Medal, he is obviously no mug.

It might be good to see how a "footballer" might handle himself at the elite level.

Greystache
05-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I've seen Hooper play a number of times and I think people are mistaking a small crumbing forward with a forward who's short. We need a crumbing forward who's quick and elusive, can apply intense tackling pressure, and can create goals from spillages. That's not Hooper's game, he's more of a poaching forward, he finds space inside 50 for a short pass, or gets on the end of a handball from a contest inside 50, or less positively he often cuts in front of a leading forward and marks a ball intended for someone else.

We're looking for a forward who can create goals from situations where the ball is in dispute, personally I think many of Hooper's goals would've been goals to other team mates anyway.

Greystache
05-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I believe his lack of speed is a myth, he is on record as recording some excellent sprint times, I recall Comrade referring to it previously.

His time for the 20m sprint at draft camp was 2.90 seconds and his agility test was 7.98 seconds, both put him comfortably in the top 5% at the camp.

He's very quick off the mark which is often all you need, but over 40m and 100m I think he'd get run down pretty quickly. He certainly doesn't make much ground up on a player he's chasing out of defence.

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 03:19 PM
As I haver already stated in the Willy vs Sandy thread, I do believe Hooper would be capable of adapting his current game style to an in-and-under role. I think the Dogs are trying too hard to Hall into space by himself leaving him heavily outnumbered when the ball hits the deck. Hooper would make a great foil crumbing and running towards goals. I honestly cannot see a better role more suited to anyone else on our list who's getting around at Willy.

stefoid
05-07-2010, 04:56 PM
His time for the 20m sprint at draft camp was 2.90 seconds and his agility test was 7.98 seconds, both put him comfortably in the top 5% at the camp.

He's very quick off the mark which is often all you need, but over 40m and 100m I think he'd get run down pretty quickly. He certainly doesn't make much ground up on a player he's chasing out of defence.

quick on the burst but slow over 40m places him closer to goal, doesnt it?

Can he snap? Someone said he had good goal sense.

lemmon
05-07-2010, 04:59 PM

He is quite a good set shot, not sure how he is on the run though

Greystache
05-07-2010, 05:15 PM

It does in attack but it leaves you exposed in defence. Playing deep means a short burst of speed and you're in range of goal, but when the opposition have the ball if they can get a break on him he won't catch them and they have space to run into. We really need some who can apply pressure to the ball carrying defender running outside 50m.

Not sure about him on the snap, he just doesn't strike me as that elusive and creative crumbing forward type, he plays more like a smart in and under midfielder who happens to be playing forward.

GVGjr
05-07-2010, 06:26 PM

From what I have seen he has decent speed but seems slowish off the mark.

AndrewP6
05-07-2010, 07:55 PM

From what I have seen he has decent speed but seems slowish off the mark.

Now I'm really confused...easy to do, I admit... :confused:

BulldogBelle
05-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Hooper plays in the top side in the VFL where its hard to get a game because their reserves are also the top side and there is a lot of pressure for spots.

Hooper kicks goals for the top side. He must be good because he is there. He is also young with apparently a lot of improvement. Other teams will be looking at him.

mighty_west
05-07-2010, 08:58 PM
From the limited times i have watched him play, he seems to drift in & out of a game, but has consistantly kicked his 2,3,4 goals a game, isn't he second on Willy's list behind Little?

Another full pre season under his belt with further development, i think we have a good one on our hands, he most definatly makes the most of every opportunity.

The work ethic is there, footy smarts, quick enough without being a jet, tackles hard, i think he has a bright future, a footballers footballer.....i like.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2010, 09:03 PM

makes him twice as fast as our current forward line!

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 09:08 PM
From the limited times i have watched him play, he seems to drift in & out of a game, but has consistantly kicked his 2,3,4 goals a game, isn't he second on Willy's list behind Little?

Another full pre season under his belt with further development, i think we have a good one on our hands, he most definatly makes the most of every opportunity.

The work ethic is there, footy smarts, quick enough without being a jet, tackles hard, i think he has a bright future, a footballers footballer.....i like.

Our future is looking the brightest is has for years. Add the two sons of guns and it's all looking great!:)

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 10:06 PM

Of the games I've seen and the goals/shots he's had, only one goal was a true snap. he has seemed to be getting in positions where he is running towards goals and the contests in fairly straight lines, limiting the necessity for him to snap around corners. Sure he could if had to.

mjp
05-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Dreamers pick kids.

Good luck to Hooper, but I am not sure that he is the answer right now - if he comes in it would be a massive statement by the mc.

Swoop
06-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I agree, I certainly don't think he is line for a call up at this stage. He is a classic rookie selection who obviously has talent but needs to address his defencies before he can be seriously considered, happy with progress to date nonetheless.

BulldogBelle
06-07-2010, 03:11 PM
"Happy Talk" is a show tune from the 1949 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific. It is sung by Bloody Mary to the American lieutenant Joe Cable, about having a happy life ...

Happy talk, keep talking happy talk,
Talk about things you'd like to do,
You gotta have a dream, if you don't have a dream,
How you gonna have a dream come true?

mighty_west
06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Dreamers pick kids.

Good luck to Hooper, but I am not sure that he is the answer right now - if he comes in it would be a massive statement by the mc.

Howabout in the case of the same old same olds never being able to get the job done, and ageing players that are just really slowing down or starting to fall apart?

Eagleton, Hahn, Johnson, Akermanis...............

mjp
06-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Howabout in the case of the same old same olds never being able to get the job done, and ageing players that are just really slowing down or starting to fall apart?

Eagleton, Hahn, Johnson, Akermanis...............

Pretty sure that is what I said? That if Hooper is picked, it means we have effectively thrown away the season plan and are really starting to clutch - a massive statement by the match committee about the state of our list, many of the players on it etc etc.

Pick him and good luck to him. I just dont see how a young forward pocket player is the answer to all our problems and if he is selected that is basically what is being said...huge leap of faith.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Given that he is performing at VFL level you would have concerns about our recruiting process if they were not considering him. If they see him as to slow and to small to warrant selection then why would we pick him up? They would have been well aware of these deficiencies prior to the draft. He could improve his pace slightly but they would know he is never going to be lightning quick.

Totally agree with this.

It's a big if but if we have already labelled him as being limited/VFL quality than it's a massive concern about our recruiting. Those concerns are heightened when you consider Markovic who looks nothing more than a state league type.

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Pretty sure that is what I said? That if Hooper is picked, it means we have effectively thrown away the season plan and are really starting to clutch - a massive statement by the match committee about the state of our list, many of the players on it etc etc.

Pick him and good luck to him. I just dont see how a young forward pocket player is the answer to all our problems and if he is selected that is basically what is being said...huge leap of faith.

I see him as an answer to a problem though. The in-and-under problem. Actually saw him (sort of, read on) doing a bit of training indoors with someone from the Football Dept. Practicing running off a feew steps to a ball thrown hard at his feet, feigning a handball to the called side. In-and-under rehearsal? Mind you this was off the reflection of the internal office windows but Hooper is very distinctive in build and bio-mechanics!! :)

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 05:47 PM

I don't see it as that mjp. How have we thrown away a season if he's thrown into the mix? Moles was a mature-aged rookie, given a run because there was a gap in the side at the time.

There's a gap atm as DD and MW have pointed out.

Is playing a young player or two throwing away the season, or is playing ageing and/or underperforming players throwing away the season? It's too late in October to say "we should have..." Better to try and fix a preceived problem than just stick with the cumbersome incumbent(s) imo.

Mantis
08-07-2010, 05:57 PM
I see him as an answer to a problem though. The in-and-under problem. Actually saw him (sort of, read on) doing a bit of training indoors with someone from the Football Dept. Practicing running off a feew steps to a ball thrown hard at his feet, feigning a handball to the called side. In-and-under rehearsal? Mind you this was off the reflection of the internal office windows but Hooper is very distinctive in build and bio-mechanics!! :)

That's a problem?

I believe our ability to win the contested footy is very good and isn't a reason why we aren't performing all that well.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2010, 05:59 PM
That's a problem?

I believe our ability to win the contested footy is very good and isn't a reason why we aren't performing all that well.

Was thinking the same thing. Without going to the stats but I would we are just about the best team in the league at winning the 'in and under' contested ball.

G-Mo77
08-07-2010, 06:01 PM
He's in

EasternWest
08-07-2010, 06:05 PM
That's a problem?

It's a problem in the forward line. A problem, as DaDruid stated.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
It's a problem in the forward line. A problem, as DaDruid stated.

I know it's directed at Mantis but I don't agree with the actual problem DaDruid pointed out.

I don't think we have an 'in and under' problem with our forward line however I do believe Hooper can potentially help out with 2 problems we do have there. I haven't seen much of Hooper but we can definitely do with more defensive pressure of the chasing and tackling variety as well as a goal sneak/crumber.

From what I have heard Hooper is a hard worker and suited to tackling once he is in the immediate area but I am unsure about his pace or more importantly acceleration which is huge.

I have heard his goals haven't really come from crumbing opportunities, more set shots.

I think a few comments I have read on him have at least sounded harsh. As DT mentioned, if we recruit someone who is continually in the Willy seniors 'bests' in their first season, it's a concern about our recruiting staff if he isn't thereabouts.

I started my post disagreeing with the words DaDruid used but I agree with his general he doesn't have to solve every problem to warrant a spot in our 22 philosophy.

mighty_west
08-07-2010, 06:51 PM
I know it's directed at Mantis but I don't agree with the actual problem DaDruid pointed out.

I don't think we have an 'in and under' problem with our forward line however I do believe Hooper can potentially help out with 2 problems we do have there. I haven't seen much of Hooper but we can definitely do with more defensive pressure of the chasing and tackling variety as well as a goal sneak/crumber.

From what I have heard Hooper is a hard worker and suited to tackling once he is in the immediate area but I am unsure about his pace or more importantly acceleration which is huge.

I have heard his goals haven't really come from crumbing opportunities, more set shots.

I think a few comments I have read on him have at least sounded harsh. As DT mentioned, if we recruit someone who is continually in the Willy seniors 'bests' in their first season, it's a concern about our recruiting staff if he isn't thereabouts.

I started my post disagreeing with the words DaDruid used but I agree with his general he doesn't have to solve every problem to warrant a spot in our 22 philosophy.

If i had to compare him to a certain type, he is more Paul Chapman than Eddie Betts.

comrade
08-07-2010, 06:53 PM
So, we've officially thrown the season plan out the window then?

Rocco Jones
08-07-2010, 06:54 PM

1/22nd of it perhaps.

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Nothing more and nothing less, cheers bloke. :) The more problems you can solve as an individual player adds to one's overall ulitarian effectiveness therefore increasing chances of selection to play a role against a team whose individuals would be already scrutinized, studied and analyzed for successful match-ups. If, after 21 selections, you a one role and match-up yet to be accounted for or addressed, then you look for single roles that can be filled by those who are fit, in form and can be the last piece in the selection puzzle. IMO ;)

Mofra
08-07-2010, 08:58 PM
His acceleration was one of his major plusses noted on rookie draft day IIRC. I'm not sure how quick he is over a longer stretch.

stefoid
08-07-2010, 09:39 PM
He doesnt look like the type to die wondering, so if he does get a run, should be interesting.

Go_Dogs
08-07-2010, 11:03 PM
He doesnt look like the type to die wondering, so if he does get a run, should be interesting.

This is why I think he's potentially a good inclusion. We need some Harbrow-like desperation in the forward half - something which Hooper may be able to deliver.

I'm all for giving him a go at this stage. We need to improve our forward structure, and we're running out of time to get it right. Hooper has been kicking goals at VFL level, and I guess the hope would be he can replicate that and some defensive intensity at AFL level.

Mantis
09-07-2010, 08:59 AM
This is why I think he's potentially a good inclusion. We need some Harbrow-like desperation in the forward half - something which Hooper may be able to deliver.

I'm all for giving him a go at this stage. We need to improve our forward structure, and we're running out of time to get it right. Hooper has been kicking goals at VFL level, and I guess the hope would be he can replicate that and some defensive intensity at AFL level.

Gerard Healy's article in today's Hun (link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-coach-mick-malthouse-loves-leon-davis-for-his-tackling/story-e6frf9ox-1225889574327)) shows that we are the worst ranked side for tackles inside our F50.

It needs to improve so if Hooper plays hopefully he can add to this area.

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Gerard Healy's article in today's Hun (link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-coach-mick-malthouse-loves-leon-davis-for-his-tackling/story-e6frf9ox-1225889574327)) shows that we are the worst ranked side for tackles inside our F50.

And one of the chief reasons for this is our lack of structure in the forward line caused by having so many players behind the ball.

We can't have it both ways.

We have gone through a fundamental shift in our game plan which has changed us from being one of the best attacking teams in the League to one of the best defensive teams. The stats simply reflect this change.

The key of course is to be good at both - only Geelong can lay claim to this.

Desipura
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Apparently.........I wont even bother going this weekend.:D

Sockeye Salmon
09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
By "in-and-under", I think the term was used to mean crumbers 'in-and-under' Hall's feet. Subsequent posters seem to have assumed he meant the traditional Tony Liberatore-style, ball-winning, in-and-under the pack, feeding the ball out.

Sedat
09-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Our 'trampoline' forward line has been discussed ad nauseum for almost as long as 'woof' has been up and running. Absolute desperation to keep the ball inside our forward 50 (and more importantly to prevent the opposition easily clearing their defensive 50) simply doesn't come naturally to the majority of our regular forward line playing group, so a change-up to the structure is needed. This is one of the few areas that hasn't improved at the club in recent seasons so I hope that someone like Hooper can add the necessary defensive pressure and desperation to redress the current forward line imbalance.

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Agreed.

We aren't always too strong in the midfield tackling either so if we can add pressure in the forward line it can only help.

Between Johnno, Hall, Higgins, Hill, Stack and Hahn there isn't much tackling pressure.
Barry chooses when he wants to chase but generally doesn't much. Hahn seems to have lost a lot of his desire to chase and tackle unless they walk into him, and the others don't really know what a tackle is.
Hooper has good second efforts and If he wants to keep a spot he has to tackle and chase like a mad dog.

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2010, 12:03 PM
And one of the chief reasons for this is our lack of structure in the forward line caused by having so many players behind the ball.

We can't have it both ways.

We have gone through a fundamental shift in our game plan which has changed us from being one of the best attacking teams in the League to one of the best defensive teams. The stats simply reflect this change.

The key of course is to be good at both - only Geelong can lay claim to this.

You are exactly right. I think the consensus is that we've lost a bit of our attacking mojo this year due to being more defensive, and having Barry up there by himself with 3 on him like last week isn't going to kick us goals.

Perhaps our new plan is to hide Hooper by piggy backing him on Barry so they think he's one person, then having him split off as the ball enters the 50. At 172cm he will be easy to hide! :p

Sedat
09-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Barry chooses when he wants to chase but generally doesn't much.
Harsh on Baz I'd have thought. His defensive pressure for a key forward is top echelon in the competition.

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Hooper has done a great job to even get a call into our 25. It just shows that football smarts and effort can get you to the big time.

Greystache
09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Agreed Sedat, he's very quick in short bursts but at the end of the day he's a big guy who's not as agile as a lot of others.

If we want to point the finger at forwards who pick and choose when they tackle, and really don't make defensive pressure a priority of any kind look no further than Higgins and Johnson.

Mofra
09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Harsh on Baz I'd have thought. His defensive pressure for a key forward is top echelon in the competition.
Agree. I think he has been setting the standard in this area in 2010, even when he has to run back & forth between the defenders who double teamed him.

Mantis
09-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Was just speaking to a mate who watches Williamstown almost every week, he is not a Bulldogs supporter, but does take an interest in our players.

He thinks that Hooper's defensive work is highly over-rated and was a little miffed that we think he will improve this deficiency. In his words Hooper is a bit of a 'cheat' with the way he plays and he gets more than his fair share of easy goals.

What do others think about this assessment?

ledge
09-07-2010, 01:06 PM
A few "cheats " in AFL , I dont mind that as long as they are good at it, Milne, Didak are what I would call big "cheats" earlier in their career.

Cheating and sitting under Hall is what we are screaming for, no one seems to be able to do it regularly.
I suppose its about reading the play and some luck.

Greystache
09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Was just speaking to a mate who watches Williamstown almost every week, he is not a Bulldogs supporter, but does take an interest in our players.

He thinks that Hooper's defensive work is highly over-rated and was a little miffed that we think he will improve this deficiency. In his words Hooper is a bit of a 'cheat' with the way he plays and he gets more than his fair share of easy goals.

I agree with this entirely. I said earlier in this thread he's more of a poaching forward than a crumbing goal kicker. Personally I think many of the goals he kicks would have been goals to team mates anyway.

Mofra
09-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Even if it's correct, we've had Cross, Gia & Grant pass off shots from inside the 50 at times because they weren't confidant in taking the shot themselves, so it may not be as bad a situation as we think.

I would expect as a debutant his defensive efforts will be top notch. Grant was stamped as a lazy footballer prior to 2010 as well, although he did have problems with his fitness levels.

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 02:16 PM

I understand where you're coming from but in essence you have summed up precisely the small forward's role. He is their to sweat on the big fellas not to necesarily create a target himself (although it would be nice from time to time).

I would like him to be the sort of forward who, when he gets near the ball, the opposition supporters take a deep breath out of fear he is going to pinch a goal. Just like we do when Milne, Didak or Leon get their hands on the ball.

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
By "in-and-under", I think the term was used to mean crumbers 'in-and-under' Hall's feet. Subsequent posters seem to have assumed he meant the traditional Tony Liberatore-style, ball-winning, in-and-under the pack, feeding the ball out.

Nail on head. :)

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Been to some Willy games this year and so far Hooper has consistently kicked his few each time. Yes, I would agree that some of his goals were 'soft'. But by the same token, he's made the effort to present into space to improve the angle/distance. Weather can be a real factor at Burbank Oval and it was also a bit damp at Trevor Barker Oval on the weekend so to me, this is smart footy. With Little attracting extra attention at times, not suprised he has a part-paddock/part-pocket to play in either. When he has tackled, he has tackled well as most strongly built, vertically challenged (he might read this!) players do, due to the lower location of centre of balance. IMO

Rocco Jones
09-07-2010, 04:08 PM
In his words Hooper is a bit of a 'cheat' with the way he plays and he gets more than his fair share of easy goals.

That's the feeling I get about Hooper. It's obviously a lot harder to get these 'easy goals' at the highest level and his type can be easily found out however it's hard to know before he gets a chance. If he is the type you mention he will have a very small margin for error meaning he has to be very clever with his positioning and make the most of his opportunities.

Am I right in believing he has a good conversion rate? Could be the difference for him as a forward in the short team at the very least.

Ghost Dog
09-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Even if it's correct, we've had Cross, Gia & Grant pass off shots from inside the 50 at times because they weren't confidant in taking the shot themselves, so it may not be as bad a situation as we think.

I would expect as a debutant his defensive efforts will be top notch. Grant was stamped as a lazy footballer prior to 2010 as well, although he did have problems with his fitness levels.

Good point. Some grow under the spotlight..
Not been able to find picture of Hooper on the net yet. Any links around?

Rocco Jones
09-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Not been able to find picture of Hooper on the net + can't find aything on him on the WB seniors site.

Really? Google 'Andrew Hooper' and click images.

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
I saw footage of him playing for Vic Country last year.

Looked every bit a footballer.

But that was playing on a HBF

Ghost Dog
09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Really? Google 'Andrew Hooper' and click images.

cheers. Spelt his name wrong.
Here he is. Looks nuggety enough.
http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2009/11/24/draft-pic.jpg

mighty_west
09-07-2010, 05:52 PM
I saw footage of him playing for Vic Country last year.

Looked every bit a footballer.

But that was playing on a HBF

I think it was the 3rd or 4th piece of play in that clip, where he just drives himself through a few opposition players to win a ball and kick into the forward line, he just doesn't know how to shirk an issue, intensity will not be an issue with young Hoops.

The fact that he was playing off a half back, suggests to me that he could pretty much play anywhere, given his fitness is up to scratch.

Hotdog60
09-07-2010, 05:57 PM
I think this is him
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/IMG_5300.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/IMG_5301.jpg

Mantis
09-07-2010, 06:00 PM
The fact that he was playing off a half back, suggests to me that he could pretty much play anywhere, given his fitness is up to scratch.

Seeing as though he is just 172cm tall one would think that he is very limited to where he can play and who he can play on.

mighty_west
09-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Seeing as though he is just 172cm tall one would think that he is very limited to where he can play and who he can play on.

Yeah, he's not going to hold down the CHF or CHB positions..;)

I am more talking about not being just a one position players, forward line, back like etc, heck, he could even play a run with role in the midfield, as long as his fitness would allow that.

Ghost Dog
09-07-2010, 08:11 PM

He would be the shortest in our team by 6cm. Second only to Harbrow.

Ghost Dog
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I think this is him
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/IMG_5300.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/IMG_5301.jpg

Great pics.

Dancin' Douggy
09-07-2010, 08:19 PM

Sounds like Brennan Stack to me. Not judging whether that's good or bad but most of his goals at AFL level have been "easy" and his defensive efforts wouldn't get much of a tick would they?

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 10:48 PM
He's had some serious tribal ink added to his right arm since those pics were taken. He was also sporting a trimmed beard with no mo yesterday as well. :cool:;)
Actually, both the above look pretty good on him, not contrived or for the sake of fashion, just because it works.
Am I digging a hole I really shouldn't? :o

AndrewP6
09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
He's had some serious tribal ink added to his right arm since those pics were taken. He was also sporting a trimmed beard with no mo yesterday as well. :cool:;)
Actually, both the above look pretty good on him, not contrived or for the sake of fashion, just because it works.
Am I digging a hole I really shouldn't? :o

Yes. Yes you are. Stop now! ;)

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Yes. Yes you are. Stop now! ;)

I was getting a bit gushy, sorry. Don't know what came over me. Maybe I'm developing a case of 'Hooper's-a-toff! :o;):cool::rolleyes:'

stefoid
10-07-2010, 10:47 AM
How tall do you have to be to crumb and apply defensive pressure in the forward line?

Not that I know thing 1 about his game, but we need more of both, and if he can supply both, height is irrelevant.

LostDoggy
10-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Hooper was named in a back pocket in the All Australian team last year, so it seems we did fairly well to get 2 AA players in the rookie draft (Panos was AA Full Forward).
From the reports i've seen, it looks like he was a backman last season occasionally being put into the middle for his run.
Sounds like he has a lot of versatility

Rocco Jones
10-07-2010, 12:57 PM
How tall do you have to be to crumb and apply defensive pressure in the forward line?

Not that I know thing 1 about his game, but we need more of both, and if he can supply both, height is irrelevant.

Height is not irrelevant however it is also not everything.

I totally agree with everything else.

soupman
10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
cheers. Spelt his name wrong.
Here he is. Looks nuggety enough.
http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2009/11/24/draft-pic.jpg

http://hollywoodjesus.com/movie/lotr_fellowship/50.jpg

Ghost Dog
11-07-2010, 12:08 AM
http://hollywoodjesus.com/movie/lotr_fellowship/50.jpg

LAUGHS - Let's hope he Baggins a few on the weekend. So funny.

Before I Die
11-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Does the fact he was named as an emergency indicate that he has been promoted off the rookie list? Or can the club name him then promote him at the last minute if he actually makes the final team? If he has been promoted then one would assume that to be a statement that he will be given a senior game this year.

AndrewP6
11-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Does the fact he was named as an emergency indicate that he has been promoted off the rookie list? Or can the club name him then promote him at the last minute if he actually makes the final team? If he has been promoted then one would assume that to be a statement that he will be given a senior game this year.

Yes, he's been promoted. Ayce Cordy has been put on the LTI list...

LostDoggy
11-07-2010, 11:34 PM

If I recall correctly, a rookie-listed player can play after round 12(?) without the need to put a senior player on the long term injury in exchange. This is why you see clubs that are struggling to win early in the season use the second half as an opportunity to blood rookies, especially mature age.