PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Aker

The Coon Dog
05-07-2010, 09:42 AM
2 articles:

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/07/05/1225887/799278-akermanis.jpg

Matt Windley - Herald Sun

BY HIS own admission he was rusty, but the smile on Jason Akermanis's face after his VFL return yesterday suggested he was happy just to be back playing footy.

Wearing No. 75, Akermanis was no more than a bit-part player in Williamstown's 58-point win over Sandringham at Trevor Barker Oval.

Heavily tagged, the Brownlow medallist managed just five kicks, nine handballs and four marks in his first game in a month after a hamstring injury.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rusty-jason-akermanis-does-the-grunt-work/story-e6frf9jf-1225887799326)

Brett Diamond - The Age

WESTERN BULLDOGS veteran Jason Akermanis says he is confident of returning to form as he eyes a round-16 return for the Bulldogs after a two-week stint at Williamstown in the VFL.

The controversial Akermanis got through the first of two compulsory matches in the Seagulls' 62-point win over Sandringham yesterday - while serving a club ban over a newspaper column.

Akermanis showed only glimpses of his usual pace and robotic touch - albeit being shut down by Alistair Smith - in a match in which he described himself as being "rusty after five weeks off".

Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rusty-akermanis-takes-step-forward-20100704-zvso.html)

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Did they win by 58 or 62?

Ozza
05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rusty-jason-akermanis-does-the-grunt-work/story-e6frf9jf-1225887799326

Humble as ever ol' Aker. He's really perfecting the art of making everyone dislike him, by what he comes out with. Again, this was a completely unnecessary spin to put on the game.

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 11:57 AM
LOL. Someone can't get it right...

Ozza
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Good of Aker to also come out and put some heat on Ryan Griffen by potting his effort to not shepherd...really what we need. :rolleyes:

aker39
05-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't think Aker will play again for the dogs. The meetings a couple of weeks ago were clearly about the coach and players not trusting him.

I do not think his comments are that bad, but he clearly does not seem to get it that his fellow players want him to shut his mouth.

Ozza
05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't think Aker will play again for the dogs. The meetings a couple of weeks ago were clearly about the coach and players not trusting him.

I do not think his comments are that bad, but he clearly does not seem to get it that his fellow players won't him to shut his mouth.

I think the comments are very very ordinary. To bag the opposition player who tagged him, as well as discrediting the standard of the comp - it again shows his lack of humility - and it makes him sound a frustrated and bitter old man.

With his Griffen comments, Aker is not a club leader, was not playing in the game and isn't even with the senior group at the moment - he simply shouldn't comment.

Agree with your first line for sure aker39.

How could you trust him?

Dazza
05-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Those comments were totally disrespectful.

Jasper
05-07-2010, 03:16 PM

I do not think his comments are that bad, but he clearly does not seem to get it that his fellow players won't him to shut his mouth.

Aker39, I think you should change your handle to reflect your disgust in Jason's behaviour.

Thinking something along the lines of Cypress20.

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 04:00 PM

I do not think his comments are that bad, but he clearly does not seem to get it that his fellow players want him to shut his mouth.

And I think many of the supporters also want him to shut his mouth.

Topdog
05-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Good of Aker to also come out and put some heat on Ryan Griffen by potting his effort to not shepherd...really what we need. :rolleyes:

So what do you think of Eade doing the same thing?

mjp
05-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Honestly, what is the big deal?

Sat on by a tagger (if it was true) in a game Willi won by 10 goals? His comments were more about Sandy (we played team footy, they didn't) than any individual player. No big deal.

Comments about Griff just reiterated what the coach (and countless people on here) had already stated - already public domain stuff. I am pretty certain Griff would be disappointed in himself and accept that he and he alone is accountable for his actions...

Non Issue.

aker39
05-07-2010, 05:00 PM
His comments were more about Sandy (we played team footy, they didn't) than any individual player.

"That's what happens when you go down and play in that league. You get some dribbler who can't play at all, can't kick...."

I'd suggest those comments are about an individual player.

Ozza
05-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Well its clearly not a non-issue.

When Aker makes comments about other players - its always a big deal, attracting attention.
When any player makes a negative reference to another player it attracts attention. He said the kid (St.Kilda rookie) was a dribbler, couldn't kick and couldn't play - thats a fair dig.
And it is the coaches place to comment on Griffen. Not Aker's.

The point is - nothing ever changes - its always all about Aker because thats how he likes it - and it sh1ts me - and plenty of others - and the negativity is not needed when the team is performing well below expectations.

mjp
05-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Well its clearly not a non-issue.

Why? What is the problem?

Does any of this really impact our performances? It just falls into the 'excuses' category - the whole kerfuffle about the original newspaper article can be lumped in the same group if you ask me...the REAL problem was that Jason wasn't playing good football!

Yes, I agree he needs to focus on his footy and all of that...but how many hours each day do you think he could possibly do that?

I really could not care less what Aker says about Sandy and their performances, about Alistair Smith or whether Griff should have tried to shepherd...these things DON'T MATTER. That you don't like his me first attitude is fine (and I agree with you to be truthful) but it is a non-issue with regards to our results.

Griff is responsible for his actions from Friday night just as Jason is responsible for his game on the weekend and performances throughout the year. So long as whatever Jason said in the paper he was/is happy to day to Griff face-to-face I have no issue with it.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I think the comments are very very ordinary. To bag the opposition player who tagged him, as well as discrediting the standard of the comp -

Well, I guess some top sportsmen are arrogant. Carey was one. Fevola another. There is that brand of cocky player who seems to feed off that kind of attitude. So it goes. Not going to change the old geezer now.

Nathan Eagleton struggled many times, while Brennan Stack and Tim Callan were handy when it counted most.

This is the thing. There are two or three of our current firsts who would struggle in the VFL like Eagleton is. So what are they doing in the team? I hope they have the sacks to really shake up our list and try something a little different. Roll the dice rocket.

GVGjr
05-07-2010, 07:18 PM

I think the whole concept of developing the leadership group and having them setting the rules needs some more refinement. I'd hope the coaches stamp their authority on situations like this rather than giving the leadership group control.

There seems to be a tendency for over reaction towards Akermanis and it's mainly seems to one guy driving it.

I think it all started with the over reaction to the hand stand against the Lions. Yes it shouldn't have happened but yelling across the ground rather than sorting it out professionally in the rooms wasn't the right way to handle it.

Akermanis irritates me but we knew he was a loose cannon when we got him and the leadership group doesn't appear to have had the skills to keep him under check. In the end, it's created more conflict than resolved things.

The Pie Man
05-07-2010, 07:57 PM
I think the whole concept of developing the leadership group and having them setting the rules needs some more refinement. I'd hope the coaches stamp their authority on situations like this rather than giving the leadership group control.

There seems to be a tendency for over reaction towards Akermanis and it's mainly seems to one guy driving it.
I think it all started with the over reaction to the hand stand against the Lions. Yes it shouldn't have happened but yelling across the ground rather than sorting it out professionally in the rooms wasn't the right way to handle it.

Akermanis irritates me but we knew he was a loose cannon when we got him and the leadership group doesn't appear to have had the skills to keep him under check. In the end, it's created more conflict than resolved things.

Who is that GVGjr?

AndrewP6
05-07-2010, 08:01 PM

Well said.

AndrewP6
05-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Well, I guess some top sportsmen are arrogant. Carey was one. Fevola another. There is that brand of cocky player who seems to feed off that kind of attitude. So it goes. Not going to change the old geezer now.

Quite a lot of top sportsmen have this sort of arrogance - I've heard it stated that it's difficult to reach the highest stage if you don't possess it. They walk a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

AndrewP6
05-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Like Baz when he's involved in a "fight", Aker is judged differently. Sure, he perhaps could've been more diplomatic in potting his opponent, but maybe, just maybe there was some truth to it. And he did comment that he would've done the same thing if he was coaching. I don't really have too much issue with him speaking up on Griffen. I'm sure many agree with him. Obviously many here do. Reminds me of a game last year when he loudly and forcefully had a go at Josh Hill, questioning if he wanted to always be a "B-grader". People liked that, as he called it like it is.

His "me first attitude" is regularly questioned, yet no one has praised him for referring to "we", "helping the group" and "the team" in those articles.

Topdog
06-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Who is that GVGjr?

Pretty sure he is talking about Gia.

GVGjr
06-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Pretty sure he is talking about Gia.

Yes, it's just some observations and nothing concrete to go on but it seems that Gia is quick off the mark taking offense to Aker's actions.

Topdog
07-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Yes, it's just some observations and nothing concrete to go on but it seems that Gia is quick off the mark taking offense to Aker's actions.

Yeah thats the impression I get too. He takes it too seriously IMO.