PDA

View Full Version : Woofers History

ledge
05-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Hopefully i have picked the right forum for this...
With a lot of us on this site now its interesting to know some of us woofers history as far as a get to know type.
I want to keep this football/sport based so ....
1976- started under 13s at Crossroads
1977-Sunshine under 15s, (closer to home)
1979-Sunshine CYC
1980-FIT
Joined railway comp
1983-Flem/Ken
1984-Sunshine VRI and a few games at West Footscray
Lucky to have played in the big V for the railways against Sth Australia twice.
Retired at the ripe old age of 27 due to marriage and children.
Yes I got around a little I suppose.
Cricket from under 11s to about the age of 27 Tottenham Baptist cc, then on to AHSOB which then became Wyndham and is now Point Cook.
Retired for about 6 years then found myself at Sydenham/Hillside for 4 years.
Coached junior soccer at Melton for 2 years
At the ripe old age of 46 I have now gone back to watching my beloved doggies.
If anyones interested I would like to read others history, maybe we know fellow woofers and dont even know it!

AndrewP6
05-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I've played sport since I could throw and catch a ball (not kick, for those who've met me!)...first played competitive sport aged 11, in the Primary School Sports Championships... have done athletics, tennis, basketball, table tennis, bit of weightlifting (not flash at that!)... played for Victoria in junior tennis and b'ball, won the Jun. National Championship twice, including my last time as a junior. Also competed in seniors for Victoria, played in the National Wheelchair Basketball League for ten years, and in a tournament for Australia once - a terrific thrill, of course. Have coached Vic junior wheelchair basketballers, coach b'ball teams at work (I'm a teacher)...I watched the Dogs as a kid a lot, Dad played quite a bit of footy, so I was into going with him. Used to get into the rooms, meet players and coaches. Dad played footy for Parkside FC, and had a couple of invites to play in the VFA. Was a great thrill to attend their Team of the Century dinner in 2003 (I think!), where Dad was inducted into the team. Drifted away from going as I got older (it was easy when Dad was there to carry me up and down stairs!)... first game back was the draw against St Kilda a few years back. Haven't missed many Melbourne games since then.

AndrewP6
05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Great thread idea, by the way!

mighty_west
05-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Cricket from under 11s to about the age of 27 Tottenham Baptist cc, then on to AHSOB !

When did you play for Totty Baps? they used to be everyones bunny in under 12's...:p

ledge
05-07-2010, 09:07 PM
When did you play for Totty Baps? they used to be everyones bunny in under 12's...:p

Under12s, 1974

mighty_west
05-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Under12s, 1974

A bit before my time, i played under 12's from around 77 - 81.

What were some of your achievements in sport, Ledge? Premierships? playing positon in footy? best batting / bowling figures in cricket? play against any famous names etc?

ledge
05-07-2010, 09:52 PM
A bit before my time, i played under 12's from around 77 - 81.

What were some of your achievements in sport, Ledge? Premierships? playing positon in footy? best batting / bowling figures in cricket? play against any famous names etc?

Played in a few premierships over the years but never as a junior,couldnt bowl for shite but won a comp batting average one year at totty opening the bat.

Many local known sports people I played with and against.

I started on a wing but as i got older found myself in the centre.
Played with and against a few woofers in both sports as a junior.

Dazza
06-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I've played basketball for 12 years. Won quite a few premierships at B grade domestic at Doncaster and Waverly stadiums. Currently just playing with mates on wednesday nights and we are struggling in F grade haha.

SonofScray
06-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Played from u/10s through to U/16s with Aberfeldie football Club. A few AFL listed players in that group going through, we made a few Grand Finals but I never played in a winning on there. Very good side though.

Moved to Maribyrnong Park in the U/18s because my brother went on the Committee and they really were working hard to keep the Club going. We were short of numbers most weeks and got flogged but it was two of the best years of footy I will remember. Really tight group of guys who were prepared to go out and slog away against the odds each week. Unfortunately two of my good friends from this group have passed away but most of us still get together and have formed some lifelong friendships. We won 2 games in two years, one a 122 point win against an equally undermanned Nth Coburg, the other against Glenroy in a real nasty game. After a losing streak of 20+ games, the whole Club got behind us for the Glenroy game and it was really a day to remember - young blokes betting carried off by senior players, rooms chockers with people singing the song - blokes legit breaking down with tears of joy. Just the best day.

Around the same time I was playing school footy for St Joes - we went through the ACC season undefeated in the school's 100th year which was really special. Played FB against guys from the Jets and Cannons and managed to come 2nd in the Bn'F that year. Very proud of my premiership pennant.

I moved onto NOBs in the VAFA B Grade with a few mates from Marby to give myself an extra year in the U/19s before playing open age. Spent two years there and probably played some of the better footy I have played, kicked a winner at Vic Park on the siren against Old Xavs one day. Won a trophy at the B&F. Played reserves the next year, tore my hamstring and had to come back through the Club 18's which I really enjoyed - killed it down there playing on old blokes and guys who didn't train. Might have been the only time in my life I was in the group of players who were actually nearing fitness. Socially, NOBs was a great club and on the park they were well set up, loved playing there. Limited opportunities after my injury soured things a bit though.

Played at Parkside for another two years after that and didn't really like it down there despite it being close to home, away games being close by and playing with a lot of Uni friends. Just didn't feel like home. After another few injuries in 2006 I stopped playing. I wasn't really much chop, maybe a bit better than a 'dribbler' as Aker would say but I did pride myself on getting stuck in and working hard for the ball and could usually do a good job negating someone. From juniors right through I seemed to get lumped in the dogged battler roles and never really developed much of an attacking mindset. Just scrag and scrap and spoil. School footy and the VAFA were really good fun for me because it was a chance to play a different way - I kicked a few more goals in the VAFA and started to get some time up forward which was good.http://www.woof.net.au/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=162743

2007 my mates and I started a soccer team which has been going around in the Sunday league for a few years now without much success. Scored a goal late last year but as much as I love the game I'm not enjoying it as much as I loved footy, so I am going to try make a comeback somewhere next year. Need to lose a bit of weight and really get some running back into the legs but I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully I can get a game somewhere.

jazzadogs
07-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Moved to Maribyrnong Park in the U/18s because my brother went on the Committee and they really were working hard to keep the Club going. We were short of numbers most weeks and got flogged but it was two of the best years of footy I will remember. Really tight group of guys who were prepared to go out and slog away against the odds each week. Unfortunately two of my good friends from this group have passed away but most of us still get together and have formed some lifelong friendships. We won 2 games in two years, one a 122 point win against an equally undermanned Nth Coburg, the other against Glenroy in a real nasty game. After a losing streak of 20+ games, the whole Club got behind us for the Glenroy game and it was really a day to remember - young blokes betting carried off by senior players, rooms chockers with people singing the song - blokes legit breaking down with tears of joy. Just the best day.

Sounds almost exactly like my team at the moment, although we've only been going 13 rounds or so.

Only game we've won for the year so far was against a team with 15 guys, won by 95 points. Never sung a team song so loud in my life.

I'm only a young guy, playing under 19's. Played junior footy (under 9's to under 16's) at Blackburn Footy Club, won a premiership there in under 14's but can't say I personally deserved the medallion. Not the best back in those days, but a great feeling nonetheless. I would like to go back there and play but thought I should get some games into me before I make an attempt at D1 of the EFL...and now I'm pretty happy with my club in the VAFA.

No other sporting achievements to date...OH, won an indoor soccer competition. Division 8. We were the 'Mighty Fightin Ninja Snakes'. Great feeling, winning grand finals, no matter what the level you're playing at.

mighty_west
07-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Footy - played school footy [at Willy Tech] early 80's as well as junior footy for Williamstown - 1979, and Footscray Little League 1978, i was that little kid that used to be used as a tackling bag for the opposition.

Lacrosse - like with footy, didn't take it overly seriously, but really enjoyed playing the game, only played juniors, down at Williamstown, at the Fearon Reserve, but again, was probably too small as a kid, but was used in the midfield for my pace, used to take the opening draws, played from 1977, lasted a few seasons.

Cricket - played from 1977 [as a 7 year old playing under 12's], for Williamstown Colts in the WDCA, who are located down at the Strand, in Newport, near the Powerstation, ended up giving it away 5 or 6 years ago with a Premiership.

Played in the finals in under 14's, but got booted out by Nigel Kellet's Hoppers Crossing side, he made a ton that game, backed up finals in the under 16's, in 84/85 playing against Ronny James's West Newport in the Granny in which we came out on top, was probably my best season personally, winning the comp bowling with an average of 6, and best figures of 8-21 against Hoppers Crossing.

Ended up with stress fractures of the back [never really bowled again], from 8 or so seasons of trying to bowl fast in 85/86, so had to re-invent my game, decided to become a batsman..:p

Played against some great players back in the day, Ron James, Tony Pastore, Saade Ghazi, Justin Charles, Nigel Kellet to name a few.

Became an opening bat in seniors in A Turf, but was just a bit of a battler, nothing more....