PDA

View Full Version : Big Moment Players or Clutch Perfomers

Greystache
05-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Robert Walls touched on it a couple of weeks ago, and as much as I try to take no notice of anything he says, his article about the Bulldogs lack of a “Bus Driver” has stuck with me.*

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/key-dogs-need-to-steer-team-to-a-premiership-20100506-uguz.html?rand=1273152813789
Basically he was saying that the Bulldogs don’t have a player that when the big moment comes can stand up and drag his team over the line.* Friday night provided another opportunity for someone to disprove the theory and unfortunately no one was able to do it.* This got me to thinking*the one thing we don’t have and haven’t had for (at least in the 30 years) I’ve been watching the Bulldogs is not just a player who can drag their side to victory in a big game the way James Hird, *Darren Jarman, Michael Voss, or Paul Chapman have done in recent finals, but a player who can step up on the big stage when the moment calls for it.
On Friday night we kicked 2.5 to 4.1 in the final quarter to lose by 3 points (several of which we pretty gettable shots), this followed the 2009 preliminary final last quarter where we kicked 1.4 to 2.0 to lose by 7 points (again several were pretty easy shots), the 2009 qualifying final last quarter where we kicked 4.6 to 1.3 and while we were probably never going to win that one we had all the momentum and killed it by missing some really easy shot.* Even in the 2008 prelim final we had Geelong on the ropes but again blew our chances by kicking 2.4 and a couple of others failing to score (Eagleton and Minson) in the 3rd quarter.*
The Americans call it a clutch performer, here we call it a Big Game Player or more accurately a Big Moment Player, but the question remains why have we failed to produce players that carry this intangible quality?* When talking about our club and current playing group, experienced players (in particular Aker and Barry Hall) have mentioned numerous times about what a humble group it is without lots of egos.* Does this lack of arrogant players also leave us with a void of players who want to be headline news?* Does our leadership groups determination to have such a team culture stamp out the characteristic that also helps a player take the big moment by the scruff of the neck and say “I’m the man to deliver”.

I was at Friday night’s game with some neutral supporters, predominantly Essendon, and their view was “the Bulldogs just don’t have that big headed bloke with a swagger that wins you the close games”.

What are the views of other Bulldogs supporters on this?

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2010, 06:26 PM
The group as a whole is too conservative for mine. If a player shares a different view, we lose our marbles. (Eg. Aker's Handstand v Port) It seems as though it's very easy to derail this group's line of thinking. At football clubs, there's different personalities and opinions - IMO we have too many of the same and aren't accepting of those outside of it.

Arguably our recruiting leans this way too. We overlooked Lance Franklin for Ryan Griffen and although Hawthorn did too, they selected Roughy as their 'safe' option who isn't bad either. Griff's a good player but unfortunately he's not a match winner and it's looking more likely he never will be. I can understand why we'd pick Griffen over Franklin at the time, but again - the whole conservative, safe approach doesn't always work.

We would of hoped Cooney and Higgins would fill this void but both aren't capable to date either. Their skill level in high pressured games isn't great and aside from a couple of games, haven't ever 'dragged' us over the line in a close game.

Lake has the ability to do it forward and back but he can't play in two positions at once (sadly). The only other guy I see potentially becoming a match winner for this club is Jarrad Grant. He take a big grab, he's exceptionally quick, he's smart and is always very lively/dangerous around the ball. He's displayed unique qualities in most of his games this year. Whether he can develop into the player the club hopes, I'm not sure, but he's our next best bet IMO.

stefoid
05-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Coon, Lake and Johno have done it from time to time.

Johno tried to do it late in the game against the hawks but there was just nobody to kick it to, and he was probably buggered as.

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Totally agree and unfortunately it has been the case for awhile with the dogs, don;t have any players who just demand that ball to kick the winning goal. I also think J grant is our best bet, saw him win a game for Willy off his own boot, when he gets bigger and fitter he will be unstoppable. Seems to have that something about him.

The Pie Man
05-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Bob Murphy looked like he wanted to have a say in the final quarter on Friday - one shot on the run from 50 bounces a few metres closer to goal and we're all in different moods today.

Boyd grabbing the ball out of the ruck to give to Wood (who's run and penetrating kick forward under pressure I liked) was inspirational. Pity it wasn't rewarded with 10 more seconds of time left....or a decent shephard

Aka has the swagger - I think back to the Melbourne game, he was clean in the wet in the 3rd quarter when it looked like slipping away from us. I still like him in our side if he can get fit and lose his voice.

Grantysghost
05-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Cooney and Griffen the most likely, but both seem to not have the mental aptitude or swagger as you put it to consistently stand up in big games. Coons seems like a knockabout bloke who is more of a follower than a leader (although i think he's improving), and Griff comes across as quite a shy type of kid.
Cal Ward for mine has that strut. He verbals guys, hits hard, and looks hungry and willing to take the game on, he wants the ball to go his way or he'll make it. When he gets to 25 he will be that player i think. Maybe a focused recruiting strategy in the future will bring some more guys like him our way.

Hodge, Mitchell and Franklin's last quarter clutch goals on Fri night illustrated your point, made all the difference.

Rance Fan
05-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I reckon Boyd is our best guy to step up when it counts. Hes tough and the ball out. Last year he managed to kick a few goals also. Only problem his skills / disposals are not always the best. Hmmm
Even in the last quarter against the Hawks he seemed the only one who got the ball forward etc...
Even the last play he was the one who got it out to Wood i think.
Maybe he doesnt quiet have the class of Selwood, Judd, Mitchell, Hodge, Dane Swan but not sure they are real classy? Hmmm classy would be more Ablett, Chapman, Simon Black in his day....
Well they are all good players and step up when it counts. For the most part i think Boyd tries to also. Well hes less likely to go missing compared to Cooney i reckon

The Pie Man
05-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Cooney and Griffen the most likely, but both seem to not have the mental aptitude or swagger as you put it to consistently stand up in big games. Coons seems like a knockabout bloke who is more of a follower than a leader (although i think he's improving), and Griff comes across as quite a shy type of kid.
Cal Ward for mine has that strut. He verbals guys, hits hard, and looks hungry and willing to take the game on, he wants the ball to go his way or he'll make it. When he gets to 25 he will be that player i think. Maybe a focused recruiting strategy in the future will bring some more guys like him our way.

Hodge, Mitchell and Franklin's last quarter clutch goals on Fri night illustrated your point, made all the difference.

3rd quarter collect of the loose ball and head straight to goal to find Johnson was gold - just made it look so easy, and it was all about making a positive move.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Griff's a good player but unfortunately he's not a match winner and it's looking more likely he never will be.

Round 7, V Melbourne. Short memories !
IMO, A little side issue, We need a bit more leadership. that is why we are fading away, not for want of a 'clutch player' . Hodge and Mitchell are good leaders. They were the difference on Friday.

Anyway, In short, I feel we have the cattle this year but not the consistent captaincy. On paper, we should maybe should have won Friday's game but lacked a little poise perhaps?..

Greystache
05-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Round 7, V Melbourne. Short memories !

I wouldn't call Melbourne the big stage.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Well, you could say that. You could also look at it that Melbourne did almost pip Collingwood ( Pies by a point and very lucky to win) . Comp is much more even than people give credit for.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Well, you could say that. You could also look at it that Melbourne did almost pip Collingwood ( Pies by a point and very lucky to win) . Comp is much more even than people give credit for.

Eagleton is nearly BOG every Semi Final, but it doesn't make him a big game/moment player.

Griff has a long, long way to go before he can be called a match winner.

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Does any one remember the spray Cooney got by Rocket at the Gabba game (a couple of seasons ago) and Cooney cleared the ruck with the ball strode down the middle and kicked that goal when it was needed?

Thats what i want more of!

Flamethrower
05-07-2010, 11:52 PM
There is more to it than being the player to step up and kick an important goal. There is also the issue of allowing the opposition time and space to kick goals when the game is on the line.

Twice this year (v St Kilda and now Hawthorn) we had a lead in the last Q only to allow the opposition to win a clearance and kick a goal to give them the lead. It was Sam Fisher for the Saints, who was all by himself when he got the ball to give the Saints the lead. And again on Friday night, Sam Mitchell and then Luke Hodge were metres clear when they gained possession to kick goals for the Hawks.

Being switched on in these situations is just as important as nailing a goal at the other end. Unfortunately for Mitch Hahn, he was the culpritt on at least 2 of these occasions, as he was caught out of position without an opponent at the stop plays. Will Minson and Matthew Boyd were also culpable - both blindly punching the ball into a dangerous area right where Mitchell and Hodge were waiting.

Desipura
06-07-2010, 09:34 AM
The player that Walls refers to is an out and out champion. We do not have one, we rely on an even contribution from all players.

Mofra
06-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Bob Murphy looked like he wanted to have a say in the final quarter on Friday - one shot on the run from 50 bounces a few metres closer to goal and we're all in different moods today.
He also took a big grab on the half forwardline late in the game. His intent was clear.
Griffen kicked a late goal against Melbourne that got us across the line.
Johnno has doen it in the past but he needs to get back to full touch first.
Hall took a big mark against Port in the NAB cup that won us the game.

The trick really is not getting to that stage to begin with.

Topdog
06-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Eagleton is nearly BOG every Semi Final, but it doesn't make him a big game/moment player.

Griff has a long, long way to go before he can be called a match winner.

How about Griff being our BOG in our last 2 finals series. I think he is a big game player.

Greystache
06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
It seems other agree with me-

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-flaws-underlined-by-the-hawks-20100705-zxk9.htm

AT THE most critical moment of last Friday night's match, in a game that could define a season for both the Bulldogs and Hawthorn, there was a boundary throw-in in the Hawks' forward line.
Thirty-six players were in Hawthorn's half of the ground for the throw-in. Eighteen obviously were Bulldogs. None stood near the Hawks' Sam Mitchell.
It was bizarre, then, that having bullocked to the front of the ruck contest, Will Minson made sure to paddle the ball back over his left shoulder to no Bulldog teammate but directly into the path of the Hawk captain, who gathered the ball and, from a step, kicked the goal to put the Hawks in front.
Minutes later the Dogs goaled to reclaim the lead, but then, from another congested stoppage in the Hawthorn forward line, the Hawks' other leader, Luke Hodge, was found alone with the ball and kicked a goal that gave his side a lead from which it would not be overtaken. Hodge, like Mitchell, had not been covered by a Bulldogs player at the stoppage. There were 18 Dogs players protecting land but not all protecting a man.

Former player Luke Darcy observed on One Week At A Time last night that it reflected that his former side was troubled in adhering to the small disciplines and structures in games in which the top four sides seldom relax.
The interesting coincidence was that the two goalkickers to put Hawthorn in front were the club's two leaders, Hodge and Mitchell. Perhaps it was simply coincidence that they were the players to find space and the ball, and to finish. But those sorts of coincidences so often seem to follow the best players.
Four of the Dogs' six losses this year have been by 10 points or less. The four-point win over Melbourne was its only victory in a close match.
These issues further raise the point of whether the Dogs' most important midfield players - Adam Cooney and Ryan Griffen - sufficiently influence games against the best sides at those critical moments.

Age columnist Robert Walls used an analogy in a recent column in which players were driving the bus and dictating matters for their teams. Hodge and Mitchell were bus drivers. A query now is whether Cooney drives the bus enough for a player of his ability.
''At Hawthorn they have won all the close ones this year and the Doggies have lost them. I would be looking at blokes like Cooney and Griffen and [Bob] Murphy to get them over the line,'' Walls said. ''The lack of someone there prepared to take the lead in those tight games to get them over the line is important.''

Former Bulldogs captain Chris Grant said that team form was critical to an individual's ability to influence results. He admitted they did not have a Nick Riewoldt type for that sort of impact as Cooney was a player who would deliver ''death by a thousand cuts'' if allowed to accumulate in a match.

''My feeling is that with Coons and Griffen, [Matthew] Boyd and [Daniel] Cross - who are the mainstay centre-line players and the game breakers - really the reason their output is down a little bit is because they are being asked to do too much,'' he said.
''It is more than whether Adam Cooney can perform in those big games on his own. I think it is rare for a player to really be able to be an individual with others down in the team and to play at a nine out of 10. ''I think it runs deeper than asking one person to do it. I don't think they are that type of team, I don't think they are those types of players. But collectively, when they had that team together, I think they are an unbeatable team but they are not right now.'

The Bulldogs Bite
06-07-2010, 04:14 PM
How about Griff being our BOG in our last 2 finals series. I think he is a big game player.

As good as Griffen was in the PF v St. Kilda, he should have been the difference. He was pretty wasteful in front of goal and should have nailed 3 or 4. We would of played in a Grand Final if he finished his work off. That's the difference between the likes of Griffen/Cooney and Ablett, Hodge, Judd etc. They make it count.

He can play well in big games, but he's not a match winner IMO.

stefoid
06-07-2010, 04:20 PM
I reckon Boyd is our best guy to step up when it counts. Hes tough and the ball out. Last year he managed to kick a few goals also. Only problem his skills / disposals are not always the best. Hmmm
Even in the last quarter against the Hawks he seemed the only one who got the ball forward etc...
Even the last play he was the one who got it out to Wood i think.
Maybe he doesnt quiet have the class of Selwood, Judd, Mitchell, Hodge, Dane Swan but not sure they are real classy? Hmmm classy would be more Ablett, Chapman, Simon Black in his day....
Well they are all good players and step up when it counts. For the most part i think Boyd tries to also. Well hes less likely to go missing compared to Cooney i reckon

Its a good point. I think we tend to look at these match winners as players capable of acts of individual brilliance, concentrating directly on goal scorers or direct goal assists.

But Boyd can and does rise to the occasion in his own way - through sheer effort. He has had some massive last quarters where he has lifted his workrate to huge levels, but at the end of the day, he is the guy who is shovelling the ball out to other players, and its hard to get recognized for that if the other players fail to do their bit and turn it over.

Case in point against Hawthorn - a must win game. He had 38 possessions, 18 contested. Yes, and he turned it over 12 times, but that still makes 26 effective disposals, half of them hard earned.

Contrast with Griffen:

Grif had 19 possessions, 13 turnovers - 6 effective possessions for a game of footy. six! I realize he was tagged, which is why 11 of his possessions were contested, plus he laid 9 tackles, but his lack of ability to execute under pressure undermined his entire game.

Other midfielders effective posessions:

higgins: 12
cross: 17
cooney: 18
harbrow: 16 (part time midfield)
picken 12:
ward: 9
reid: 7