PDA

View Full Version : Could Lake be a leader?

LostDoggy
05-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Do you think Lake should be in the Leader Group in 2011??He is the general down back even the commentators spoke about him on Friday night with the way Lake was calling the Defenders back.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Interesting thread.

I reckon! Love his off-the-wall humor as well.

Rance Fan
05-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Is he switched on enough? Does have the odd brain faze but seems a good leader on the ground. Unsure what hes really like off it.

EasternWest
05-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Do you think Lake should be in the Leader Group in 2011??He is the general down back even the commentators spoke about him on Friday night with the way Lake was calling the Defenders back.

Welcome porkie!

I think Lake is probably just fine where he is. In such red-hot form, I'd be tempted to let sleeping dogs lie.

AndrewP6
05-07-2010, 11:59 PM
I'd be hesitant, he's a bit laconic IMO. Funny thing, Mum heard him talking, and said "He seems a bit dopey!". However, he's in terrific form, and one of our most important players.

Great username, by the way.

Greystache
06-07-2010, 12:04 AM
He regularly gets ripped into by Eade for not paying attention, and he openly admits to struggling to concentrate in team meetings, so I would say no.

He's an out and out champion, it works for him but isn't the right example for less naturally gifted players.

LostDoggy
06-07-2010, 01:01 AM
I'd be hesitant, he's a bit laconic IMO. Funny thing, Mum heard him talking, and said "He seems a bit dopey!". However, he's in terrific form, and one of our most important players.

Great username, by the way.

I,ve heard him speak several times as saying he seems a bit Dopey I dont think so.And with him falling asleep at meetings that was in his early days in the juniors was'nt it when he had sleep aponea. I just thought it may be good for Lake to be given that responsiblity,seem to be a team man and would take being in the Leader ship group with gusto,and ethusiam,just a thought.And dos'nt have so many Brain fades of late.I think myself he would make a good leader.

AndrewP6
06-07-2010, 01:05 AM
I,ve heard him speak several times as saying he seems a bit Dopey I dont think so.And with him falling asleep at meetings that was in his early days in the juniors was'nt it when he had sleep aponea. I just thought it may be good for Lake to be given that responsiblity,seem to be a team man and would take being in the Leader ship group with gusto,and ethusiam,just a thought.And dos'nt have so many Brain fades of late.I think myself he would make a good leader.

Fair enough, that's what discussion is for! :)

Ghost Dog
06-07-2010, 01:13 AM
He has the lad factor. I can't find it but there was a recent article about him a bit drunk and unable to find his way home after a function so he slept at the western Oval. Funny.

LostDoggy
06-07-2010, 01:43 AM
He has the lad factor. I can't find it but there was a recent article about him a bit drunk and unable to find his way home after a function so he slept at the western Oval. Funny.

He was 19 and new to Melb.but it was funny now he has matured,married and a father.and he was Harris then Lake is the more grown up one.

mjp
06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
He is our best player so he IS a leader whether he likes it or not.

His actions on the field mark him as someone to be respected so whether he is up to it or not is irrelevant - he is a leader at the club.

Curly5
06-07-2010, 12:49 PM

His actions on the field mark him as someone to be respected so whether he is up to it or not is irrelevant - he is a leader at the club.

This ^. The rest of the team could do worse than copy him (on the field ;) ) Plus his pay packet puts him into the leadership bracket.

EasternWest
06-07-2010, 02:07 PM

This ^. The rest of the team could do worse than copy him (on the field ;) ) Plus his pay packet puts him into the leadership bracket.

But that wasn't the question.

Should he, due to his onfield leadership, be in the leadership group in 2011?

I don't think so. I don't think he is the kind of guy you look to to be the inspirational talker/motivator/trainer at practice.

He's the guy that constantly saves your arse on field, and leads by his actions. Lets not put expectations on Brian to be in the leadership group, because it is as plain as the nose on his face that he is a leader onfield. Let's leave it at that.

mjp
06-07-2010, 04:17 PM
But that wasn't the question.

Actually, the question is in the title of the thread - "Could Lake be a leader?"

I don't think so. I don't think he is the kind of guy you look to to be the inspirational talker/motivator/trainer at practice.

So what? The players will pick their leaders based on what behaviors they aspire too - not who spins the most bs during a running drill or who wants to have the biggest say in a team meeting. If what Lake does personifies those attributes - and those attributes SHOULD reflect the way he conducts himself - then he should be selected.

We are following the Leading Teams model - that is how it works. Outline aspirational behaviors, select as leaders the people who best embody them.

EasternWest
06-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Actually, the question is in the title of the thread - "Could Lake be a leader?"

So what? The players will pick their leaders based on what behaviors they aspire too - not who spins the most bs during a running drill or who wants to have the biggest say in a team meeting. If what Lake does personifies those attributes - and those attributes SHOULD reflect the way he conducts himself - then he should be selected.

We are following the Leading Teams model - that is how it works. Outline aspirational behaviors, select as leaders the people who best embody them.

Well your first point is just semantics. As was mine also I guess.

I can't argue your points after so what? They all make sense.

My basis for leaving Lake out would be that he doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that would be that keen to be involved with a lot of extra head work and leadership meetings etc. I could be wrong, but he strikes me more as a doer.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Well your first point is just semantics. As was mine also I guess.

I can't argue your points after so what? They all make sense.

My basis for leaving Lake out would be that he doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that would be that keen to be involved with a lot of extra head work and leadership meetings etc. I could be wrong, but he strikes me more as a doer.

I think I am over how highly leadership meetings seem to be rated by the club. Gia seems like a fantastic leader at a table, just wish he could transfer that to a footy ground once in awhile.

Ghost Dog
06-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I think I am over how highly leadership meetings seem to be rated by the club. Gia seems like a fantastic leader at a table, just wish he could transfer that to a footy ground once in awhile.

Gia does some great stuf on ground. That contested mark he took in the first quarter was awesome. What would you like him to do more of or, put another way, what do you feel he lacks? Hardness? Ability in the air? Personally, I feel he is doing pretty well.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Gia does some great stuf on ground. That contested mark he took in the first quarter was awesome. What would you like him to do more of or, put another way, what do you feel he lacks? Hardness? Ability in the air? Personally, I feel he is doing pretty well.

I am normally a defender of Gia and I guess it's not his fault that none of our players stick out as great leaders.

I just think for a leader he really goes missing when the heat is on and while his attack on the ball was great in that contested mark, he can really lack physical presence at times.

Greystache
06-07-2010, 06:05 PM

I totally agree, we make all the right noises and say all the right things in media conferences and in the prematch, but of the guys making these comments (Gia, Murphy, Johno, Boyd, Higgins) how many would you back to kick a goal on the run from 50m in the dying seconds to win a prelim final? I'd say Boyd only and I wouldn't be that confident in him.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2010, 06:07 PM
I totally agree, we make all the right noises and say all the right things in media conferences and in the prematch, but of the guys making these comments (Gia, Murphy, Johno, Boyd, Higgins) how many would you back to kick a goal on the run from 50m in the dying seconds to win a prelim final? I'd say Boyd only and I wouldn't be that confident in him.

Yep. I am going to be attacked by the super positives on this board but I truly believe our leadership group over compensate for their lack of on field leadership by overdoing it off field.

The Underdog
06-07-2010, 10:07 PM

If Boyd were handballing from 50m to win a prelim I'd pick him. If it involved kicking a football, he'd be my last pick out of that group, although Murph is the one I'd have a reasonable amount of confidence in. The fact that I'd back most of those guys to kick one with us 50 points up but miss the same shot in a pressure situation says a bit though and I assume that that was your point.

Ghost Dog
06-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Yep. I am going to be attacked by the super positives on this board but I truly believe our leadership group over compensate for their lack of on field leadership by overdoing it off field.

So in your view, Rocco and Grey, the leaders lack hardness - the ability to contest and launch themselves into the fray.

For me, that is not the issue. Effort is good. Decision making has been poor and reading the ball.

Thirty-six players were in Hawthorn's half of the ground for the throw-in. Eighteen obviously were Bulldogs. None stood near the Hawks' Sam Mitchell. ( Gleeson 2010)

Tonight I went to a poetry reading. Harry O'Brien from collingwood was there.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2010, 11:33 PM
So in your view, Rocco and Grey, the leaders lack hardness - the ability to contest and launch themselves into the fray.

For me, that is not the issue. Effort is good. Decision making has been poor and reading the ball.

Thirty-six players were in Hawthorn's half of the ground for the throw-in. Eighteen obviously were Bulldogs. None stood near the Hawks' Sam Mitchell. ( Gleeson 2010)

Tonight I went to a poetry reading. Harry O'Brien from collingwood was there.

Fans talk about what it takes to be the greatest as if there was just one tangible trait like great leaders or match winners.e

I don't see not having a great leader/leadership group on field as 'the issue', just one issue that hurts us.

I actually think our effort and attack on the ball are great mate, leaders definitely included. Where I think the problem lies with our leaders is stepping up to be match winners/break the game open like Hodge, Mitchell, Buddy and Cyril did on Friday night. The former two are seen as obvious leaders but the latter two are leaders as well, I like mjp's point about guns being leaders whether we or they like it or not.

I also agree with you that our decision making is an issue.

A lot of our fans were and are upset about our performance on Friday night, including me. However, I am not saying it's all doom and gloom. I know there is a lot more good than bad in our team but the thing is, there is such a small margin of error when you're trying to be the best.