PDA

View Full Version : Fine Line

Rance Fan
05-07-2010, 11:21 PM
The comp always seems to be fairly tight each year. Last year we seemed to win all the close ones where this year we seem to have lost all the close ones. Its a fine line but seems we're on the wrong side of it so far this season
Anyone recall the stats on the close ones last year?
Team hasnt changed much...Is it we have gone to Baz focussed? Or what i think moreso...maybe some of the others have dropped off this year so far...Aker,Johnno,Higgins etc
Any other thoughts?
If we could put 4 quarters together with a skillful,tough and poised game we can still go all the way...Lets hope!

AndrewP6
05-07-2010, 11:55 PM
I think at times they've tried too hard to get it to Baz, thereby making poor decisions e.g. kicking it to a 1 on 2 or 3. I don't believe that's the sole cause of the problems, and I certainly think he's added a great deal. I think others need to be better at recognising how he draws players, and take advantage of that. Definitely a drop in form/output from those you mentioned hurts us, as does some of the injuries. A lift from players Rocket mentions as key would benefit us (the middle-tier players - Gia, Coon, Boyd etc) Disposal and decision-making has been down, and the best teams will hurt you when presented with the chance - strangely, commentators would say that about us not long ago.

Ghost Dog
06-07-2010, 12:51 AM
The comp always seems to be fairly tight each year. Last year we seemed to win all the close ones where this year we seem to have lost all the close ones. Its a fine line but seems we're on the wrong side of it so far this season
Anyone recall the stats on the close ones last year?
Team hasnt changed much...Is it we have gone to Baz focussed? Or what i think moreso...maybe some of the others have dropped off this year so far...Aker,Johnno,Higgins etc
Any other thoughts?
If we could put 4 quarters together with a skillful,tough and poised game we can still go all the way...Lets hope!

I would say it was tighter this year than last. Melb and Richmond hardly posed as a threat last year. Anyone agree?

The Boy From Brasil
06-07-2010, 11:21 AM
I would say it was tighter this year than last. Melb and Richmond hardly posed as a threat last year. Anyone agree?

I tend to think that there is more quality at the top end of the ladder.

St Kilda look to be still as good as last year, and Geelong look to have improved.

Collingwood have improved a lot with imports(Jolly, Ball) and team structure(Dawes) as well as natural improvement in some of their players.

Hawthorn have improved through import(Burgoyne) and arn't as injury ravaged as last year.

Fremantle have improved a lot with their young players and Carlton still look okay.

So, it is harder than last year. Instead of having two sides that are hard to beat, there are at least four. We have had a few injuries and not winning a couple of close games hasn't helped.

I think we have improved since last year, but maybe our competition for the flag has improved more. :confused:

Curly5
06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I tend to think that there is more quality at the top end of the ladder.

St Kilda look to be still as good as last year, and Geelong look to have improved.

Collingwood have improved a lot with imports(Jolly, Ball) and team structure(Dawes) as well as natural improvement in some of their players.

Hawthorn have improved through import(Burgoyne) and arn't as injury ravaged as last year.

Fremantle have improved a lot with their young players and Carlton still look okay.

So, it is harder than last year. Instead of having two sides that are hard to beat, there are at least four. We have had a few injuries and not winning a couple of close games hasn't helped.

I think we have improved since last year, but maybe our competition for the flag has improved more. :confused:

I think this is where we got our hopes up, we kind of expected the competition to be similar this year to last year, and that we'd be the same only better. But every year is different, teams improve out of the blue (Fremantle) and others fall away for no apparent reason (er... us). Some crash and burn towards the end of the season (hopefully Freo :) ) and others take a while to warm up and come home strongly (Hawks and ... hopefully us).
Of course, luck and injuries add to the mix of uncertainty.

At this stage I see the Saints as the strongest team. I've a feeling Geelong may be vulnerable.

LostDoggy
07-07-2010, 11:47 PM
I think this is where we got our hopes up, we kind of expected the competition to be similar this year to last year, and that we'd be the same only better. But every year is different, teams improve out of the blue (Fremantle) and others fall away for no apparent reason (er... us). Some crash and burn towards the end of the season (hopefully Freo :) ) and others take a while to warm up and come home strongly (Hawks and ... hopefully us).
Of course, luck and injuries add to the mix of uncertainty.

At this stage I see the Saints as the strongest team. I've a feeling Geelong may be vulnerable.

I hope your right Curly coz I would fancy our chances againts the Saints ;)