PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Power

GVGjr
07-07-2007, 08:58 AM
This is the discussion thread for todays big game.

Who's you tip to kick the first goal for us? I'll go with Johnson

Is this the crunch game for us?

GVGjr
07-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Just found this. Johnson to get a lot of attention?

Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams is big enough to admit it will take more than one man to stop Western Bulldogs star Brad Johnson when the AFL finals aspirants clash at Telstra Dome from 1.40 today.

What he won't say, though, is Port's plan to starve the Dogs' leading goalkicker will start in the midfield.

Port has recalled premiership forward Josh Mahoney to replace rookie Robert Gray and expects Johnson to line up "one-out" in attack. Williams says he has conjured several scenarios to stop the master goalkicker.

Gray left the final training session at Alberton Oval within 15 minutes yesterday with a calf strain as 10 members of the Port Adelaide Magpies' 1977 premiership team watched.

They mingled later with Power players who will wear the famous prison-bars guernsey today for the AFL's heritage week celebrations.

Kane Cornes was limping slightly but finished the session yesterday and will line up in the midfield, which must cut supply to hard-leading Johnson.

At the same time, the Bulldogs will be out to suffocate the dangerous Power midfielders and rely on their half-backs to ignite counter-attacks. This is how Sydney dismantled the Power in round eight to engineer a 31-point win and start Port's crash from top spot with a run of four losses.

Swans half-backs Tadhg Kennelly and Nick Malceski swooped wide, executing quick-moving supply to Sydney's forwards, who left the Power defence bewildered.

Williams already has expressed fear that the Bulldogs' runners, in particular long-kicking Lindsay Gilbee and Jordan McMahon, can load up Johnson.

"They (Bulldogs) play a particular way and that's what they'll do again," Williams said. "Last week they lost to (the Kangaroos) but (the Dogs) had 30 shots at goal.

"They're still going to have shots (and) it's still going to be Johnson in the forward line by himself. It's going to be a little `hold your breath' type atmosphere but they'll give us opportunities to score as well – that's how they play."

Williams conceded Johnson, who has kicked 39.17, was a key to the Dogs' fortunes.

"We've got some people ready to play on him, no doubt about it. It'll be more than one player," Williams said.

Port has a host of defenders capable of minding Johnson including Michael Wilson, Toby Thurstans or possibly Alipate Carlile, who has been promoted with Adam Thomson to gain critical experience. Both bring with them top SANFL form and Williams welcomes the chance to develop long-term options.

"Bring them in at the right time, when they're hungry, and you get a great result," he said.

A win today might put sixth-placed Port in the top four – depending on other results.

But Williams says he will not tempt fate. "We're certainly not getting ahead of ourselves that way," he said. "We're playing the Bulldogs this weekend and they're very close to where we are and they'll want to win just as much as we do."

LostDoggy
07-07-2007, 10:29 AM
First goal - Cooney. Definitely a crunch game if we want to stay in touch with the 8 - we also need a percentage boosting win somewhere along the line too.

Go_Dogs
07-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Port will be eager to win today no doubt, but I think if we move the ball well and quickly, we should have enough options and run through the midfield to account for them.

Ray to kick our first, he's on a roll.

Bulldog Revolution
07-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I am feeling nervous before todays game.

I have to admit to feeling very down about last weeks loss, and realising that both North and Carlton have beaten us this year - two teams who I really dont think will factor in finals action. Theres a part of my brain nagging away at me telling me our season is over, and thats its another year of development, planning for the draft etc.

Can this group lift today - we've been so up and down all year, with more down than up

Hopefully the team is confident and will really take the game on and try to destroy port rather than just hoping to hang in there as we did last week

LostDoggy
07-07-2007, 06:45 PM
I am feeling nervous before todays game.

I have to admit to feeling very down about last weeks loss, and realising that both North and Carlton have beaten us this year - two teams who I really dont think will factor in finals action. Theres a part of my brain nagging away at me telling me our season is over, and thats its another year of development, planning for the draft etc.

Can this group lift today - we've been so up and down all year, with more down than up

Hopefully the team is confident and will really take the game on and try to destroy port rather than just hoping to hang in there as we did last week

Your radar was right on the money. We struggled with the flood and while we were the better team, we needed a bit of luck in steadying the ship at the end.
We also look like we copped a few injuries and even with Eagleton being available next week we keep getting hiccups rather than a bit of stability. I was happy with Everitts first up effort as he uses the ball very well and glides across the ground.

Go_Dogs
07-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Wow, scary game really, but we generally looked more dangerous, but were very wasteful, especially in the first half.

Boyd, Cooney, Akermanis, Johnson, Robbins, Harris till 3/4 time, Gia all played good games today. Everitt was very pleasing on debut, Grant is looking good, Darcy again showed something today I thought, dropping into the backline, helping out in the centre square throwing his weight around, Murph was good, Higgo got some important touches....overall, pleasing game, although not as convincing as I would've liked.

Hopefully West doesn't have to miss.

But seriously, how good can Boyd become? He's been awesome the last few weeks, very very impressive.

LostDoggy
07-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Took a while to get going today didn't they. Not so much effort wise, but hitting targets. Some shocking kicks/handballs straight to the opposition.

Credit where it's due. I am not an Aker fan, but no doubt he was instrumental in getting us over the line today.

Also thoroughly enjoyed Everitt's debut - a couple of those marks were awesome. As for Williams, still a lot to learn, but boy is he quick. And DR - they are TALL.

LostDoggy
07-07-2007, 07:57 PM
It's been a while:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6753/picture342pq7.jpg

Go_Dogs
07-07-2007, 08:04 PM
The big Streeter. He wasn't bad today either actually. But dammit, you've ruined me with the Pies v Saints scoreline. Brutal....my tipping continues to go down the drain this year.

Was it warm inside the Dome today, or still pretty chilly?

southerncross
07-07-2007, 08:15 PM
The big Streeter. He wasn't bad today either actually. But dammit, you've ruined me with the Pies v Saints scoreline. Brutal....my tipping continues to go down the drain this year.

Was it warm inside the Dome today, or still pretty chilly?

It was still cold in the dome.

LostDoggy
07-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I was freezing. Reportedly it was 14 degrees inside and 8 degrees outside. Yes, Street certainly held his own today and kicked a goal. Ditto with tipping - I'm not even going to bother for the rest of the year. So long as we make it to the finals I'll be happy. I think ladder-wise it is better for us to have the Saints drop back though.

Go_Dogs
07-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah, that's true it does help us. Although Collingwood finishing top 4 is blasphemy!

LostDoggy
07-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Yes - but we can beat the filth in a final.

Go_Dogs
07-07-2007, 08:34 PM
A very good point MB.

southerncross
07-07-2007, 11:50 PM
This from the Hun. I thought we got a good run with the free kicks today.

Akermanis on fire for desperate Dogs
07 July 2007 Herald Sun
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/files/dogs.jpg JASON Akermanis played his best game for the Western Bulldogs as they beat Port Adelaide by 20 points today in their match at Telstra Dome.

Akermanis kicked two crucial last-quarter goals to finish the game with three goals and 17 disposals as the Bulldogs scored a badly-needed win, 20.13 (133) to 17.11 (113).
But it may have come at a cost, with the Dogs losing veteran midfielder Scott West early in the second term with a groin injury.
It was easily Akermanis' most complete game since he joined the Bulldogs this year after his acrimonious split from Brisbane.
Bulldogs captain Brad Johnson kicked five goals and veteran backman Chris Grant was outstanding, while Port counterpart Warren Tredrea put through four goals and Power midfielder Domenic Cassisi had a game-high 38 disposals.
The Power had kicked three goals to reduce the margin to only three points when Akermanis goaled twice on the run in as many minutes to seal the match.
The Bulldogs looked to have the game well in hand when they kicked two goals within the opening three minutes of the last term for a 22-point lead.
But Warren Tredrea, well held for most of the game by Bulldogs key defender Brian Harris, kicked two goals in as many minutes to keep the match alive.
Tredrea kicked another goal in the last quarter as the Power kept pace with the Bulldogs and then made their late charge to trail by less than a goal at 24 minutes.
Port had led by five points at quarter-time and the Power had the Bulldogs in some trouble when it went into the break with a nine-point break.
But Johnson kicked two goals at the start of the third term, sparking a surge where his team scored four goals to one.
The Bulldogs led by 10 points at three-quarter time, with Power midfielder Shaun Burgoyne snapping a great goal just before the siren to keep the game tight.
Port was cruelled by the free-kick count, 27-13 in the Bulldogs' favour.

southerncross
07-07-2007, 11:51 PM
This from the Age

Time helps Akermanis find his form

July 7, 2007 - 8:31PM

Unless you're an opposition fan, there are few more appealing sights in the AFL than a booming Jason Akermanis goal kicked on the run.
For the Port Adelaide cheer squad sitting at the Coventry end of Telstra Dome, it must have been truly horrific.
Akermanis kicked the ball over their heads twice in as many minutes to seal the 20-point win.
Port had kicked three goals late in the game to reduce the margin to just three points.
But the Bulldogs won the next two centre bounces and Akermanis skilfully worked his way into space on the half-forward flank.
He took handballs from Shaun Higgins to kick two almost-identical goals from about 40m out.
"The best work is teamwork, but I got into some good spots today and sometimes you get used, sometimes you don't," Akermanis said.
"In the end it was just a case of simple footy - get it forward.
"Higgo (had) terrific vision twice, handballed it and said 'have a shot'.
"I was quite tired at the end of the game, but it's always good when they go in - I haven't had my kicking shoes on for a few weeks and it's good to nail a couple close together."
The goals were also twin exclamation marks to an important game for Akermanis, easily his most complete since joining the Bulldogs.
He moved to the club this year after his much-publicised and ugly split with Brisbane, where Akermanis played in three premierships and won a Brownlow Medal.
While good in patches this year, Akermanis had come under plenty of attention for not showing the same form that made him a Lions star.
Akermanis had injury problems earlier this season and always felt he would be better in the second half of the year as he adapted to Melbourne life.
Simple factors such as a new pair of football boots and moving house have helped.
He wore the boots for the first time in last week's loss to the Kangaroos and could feel they were starting to fit his feet better towards the end of the game.
Akermanis added the house move was saving him 40 minutes in travel time to the club.
"I'm training really hard, I just had to do the miles in the first half (of the season)," he said.
"It just takes time and unfortunately people don't understand that.
"But that's okay, I will take the bagging. I knew, if it was going to turn, it was going to be better in the second half."
Akermanis had 17 touches and kicked three goals in Saturday's win.
Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said Akermanis had been a victim of his own lofty standards at times this season, while Port coach Mark Williams praised the veteran for his late goals.
"It showed the class, they've spent some money to get him here and he's earning his way," Williams said.
"I'm sure they're pretty pleased.
"That's the opportunist forward and smart player that he is."

Bulldog Revolution
08-07-2007, 01:36 AM
This from the Age

Time helps Akermanis find his form
"The best work is teamwork, but I got into some good spots today and sometimes you get used, sometimes you don't," Akermanis said.
"In the end it was just a case of simple footy - get it forward.
"Higgo (had) terrific vision twice, handballed it and said 'have a shot'.
"I was quite tired at the end of the game, but it's always good when they go in - I haven't had my kicking shoes on for a few weeks and it's good to nail a couple close together."
The goals were also twin exclamation marks to an important game for Akermanis, easily his most complete since joining the Bulldogs.

"I'm training really hard, I just had to do the miles in the first half (of the season)," he said.
"It just takes time and unfortunately people don't understand that.
"But that's okay, I will take the bagging. I knew, if it was going to turn, it was going to be better in the second half."
Akermanis had 17 touches and kicked three goals in Saturday's win.

Great signs with the Aker walking the walk, and starting to talk the talk again - I love it after games when he has been good that he shares the joy with a teammate and praises Higgins vision. There was a classic game when he played for the Lions where he praised Leigh for moving him forward, and throwing him where the action was to let him win them a game. I've watched the two in warmups and I have no doubt that Higgins is learning from playing with a guy like Aker

southerncross
13-07-2007, 11:04 PM
I cant believe that no one mentioned Hahn looking like he was going to kick to the wrong direction in the first minute of the last quarter. Did anyone else notice it?

bornadog
14-07-2007, 12:32 AM
I cant believe that no one mentioned Hahn looking like he was going to kick to the wrong direction in the first minute of the last quarter. Did anyone else notice it?

Yes saw that on the replay