08-07-2010, 06:02 PM
BULLDOGS
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Ryan Hargrave
HB: Robert Murphy, Dale Morris, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
HF: Shaun Higgins, Brad Johnson, Brennan Stack
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Adam Cooney
I/C from: Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Andrew Hooper, Jordan Roughead, Callan Ward, Tom Williams, Easton Wood.

In: T.Williams , B.Stack , A.Everitt , J.Roughead , A.Hooper , N.Eagleton
Out: Mitch Hahn (hamstring) , Will Minson (ankle) , Sam Reid (shoulder)

Jordan Roughead, Callan Ward & Easton Wood would all be a show in one would think.

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:03 PM
BULLDOGS
I/C from: Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Andrew Hooper, Jordan Roughead, Callan Ward, Tom Williams, Easton Wood.

In: T.Williams , B.Stack , A.Everitt , J.Roughead , A.Hooper , N.Eagleton

Good to see Hooper on the bench but i doubt he'll play.
Surprised Hahn is hamstring and not omitted. Looks like it'll with Roughy, Ward, Wood and Dre/Eagle from the bench?

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Well done to Hoops. He's obviously close.

You'd think Wood, Ward, Roughead certainties.

One spot left...

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Ayce was moved to Long term injury list and Hooper has been promoted, so he may be a chance.

Remi Moses
08-07-2010, 06:12 PM
The injury probably saved Hahn from being axed. One Shaun Higgins is one lucky ombré

G-Mo77
08-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Carlton's team

B: Aaron Joseph, Bret Thornton, Michael Jamison
HB: Andrew Walker, Paul Bower, Jordan Russell
C: Andrew Carrazzo, Kade Simpson, Bryce Gibbs
HF: Jeff Garlett, Setanta O'hAilpin, Ryan Houlihan
F: Marc Murphy, Lachie Henderson, Eddie Betts
Foll: Sam Jacobs, Heath Scotland, Chris Judd
I/C (from): Dennis Armfield, Shaun Grigg, Shaun Hampson, Kane Lucas, Mitch Robinson, Simon Wiggins, Chris Yarran

In: Wiggins, Bower, Lucas
Out: Nil

I really know very little about the dribblers named on the interchange from so I'll leave it to someone else to guess.

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Stack straight in.

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Well done to Hoops. He's obviously close.

You'd think Wood, Ward, Roughead certainties.

One spot left...

I hope its Everitt but that's just me.. I think it makes good sense.

G-Mo77
08-07-2010, 06:16 PM
The injury probably saved Hahn from being axed. One Shaun Higgins is one lucky ombré

Higgins will be better for the run IMO.

Stack straight in is an even bigger surprise than Hooper being named.

chef
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Higgins will be better for the run IMO.

He does offer another option across half forward so I'm happy with that(and Hoops upgrade).

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I really hope Hooper plays but Ward Roughead Wood should all be in and it would be nice to have Hooper and Everitt but if we can only have one im not sure who I would choose depends on match ups, Any chance we will go in with just one ruck?

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Carlton's team

I/C (from): Dennis Armfield, Shaun Grigg, Shaun Hampson, Kane Lucas, Mitch Robinson, Simon Wiggins, Chris Yarran

I really know very little about the dribblers named on the interchange from so I'll leave it to someone else to guess.

My brother is a Carlton fan so i hear about them constantly.
Bower will be a big in for them but he is still questionable and has been a late out a few times already.
Yarren and Robbo will play, they may play Jacobs by himself, but i doubt it and Hampson should get a spot(which is good, because he was bloody useless last week). Wiggins won't play and the last stop will be between Lucas/Armfield or Grigg might hold his place. Hope for Grigg.
Other than Waite being out, this is very close to their best team they will have for the rest of the year

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Too right it is.

I just don't understand that at all.

I think Stack will be good for us one day; however surely the idea of sending an out of form player back to Williamstown to find form is a process that takes longer than one week.

I would have played both Stack and Hill at Williamstown for at least three weeks to see how they consistently apply themselves.

soupman
08-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Looks like Hahn for Stack, Minson for Roughead and Reid for one of Williams, Everitt or Hooper.

Surely if they've promoted Hooper they intend to play him though?

G-Mo77
08-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Not sure on how the rules work, but you would think if it is not on Sunday it will be very soon.

GVG could we get these Round 15 thread merged.

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Carlton's team

Should I buy a big box of bibs before the bounce be the baby Blues bench being backed by bad baby bubba's blubbering?

chef
08-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Looks like Hahn for Stack, Minson for Roughead and Reid for one of Williams, Everitt or Hooper.

Maybe Hooper in for Johnson

I can't see Johnno playing as he still looked proppy on Tuesday at the train with the team day. Higgins also got KO'd by Peter Dean:(.

G-Mo77
08-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Yarren and Robbo will play, they may play Jacobs by himself, but i doubt it and Hampson should get a spot(which is good, because he was bloody useless last week). Wiggins won't play and the last stop will be between Lucas/Armfield or Grigg might hold his place. Hope for Grigg.

Thanks for that, Armfield I would have thought as a certain in. As I said I have seen very little of Carlton but I like the way he goes about it. Always seems to do something good when ever I watch. Maybe he just gets my eye at the right time.

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I agree. I can only think of one game where I thought Stack pulled his weight and that is the Sydney game. Very surprised to see him straight back in. In Stacks favour though is that he does have that one quality the rest of our forward line lacks and that's pace. Adding Everitt or Hill to a forward setup that includes Gia, Johnno, Higgins is way too one-dimensional. All these players need space and rely on their smarts. We can't have 5 forwards who can't operate without space (Grant being the exception).

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for that, Armfield I would have thought as a certain in. As I said I have seen very little of Carlton but I like the way he goes about it. Always seems to do something good when ever I watch. Maybe he just gets my eye at the right time.

It's a tough choice for the last spot, Armfield has given them alot of run from the back, and is a solid player, but Lucas has been really impressive for a first year player and I'm surprised he isn't nominated for RS yet. Armfield is probably the more likely choice

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Maybe Hooper in for Johnson

I can't see Johnno playing as he still looked proppy on Tuesday at the train with the team day. Higgins also got KO'd by Peter Dean:(.

First the Golf Cart now this! :rolleyes: What next.

Go_Dogs
08-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Some solid selections IMO. Good to see Hooper's strong VFL form being rewarded. Will certainly make Sunday's game a bit more interesting again if he's named.

Hopefully Stack can have a big one.

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Some solid selections IMO. Good to see Hooper's strong VFL form being rewarded. Will certainly make Sunday's game a bit more interesting again if he's named.

Hopefully Stack can have a big one.

Ditto!

NoName
08-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Here's hoping that Cooney has a big match in his 150th game!. Seems like yesterday he played his first match.

Grantysghost
08-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Any news on Hahn's hammy? Dont remember him hurting it against the Hawks..... Hmmmm the cynic in me is wondering if its a cop out, surely not.

Hopefully Hooper gets a gig, good to see us blooding some new talent.

Mofra
08-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Hahn may have been carrying it for some time.
Well done to Hooper - he should play if he's been promoted.
For the love of god I hope Wood is not dropped. He shouldn't be but one can never second guess the MC.

AndrewP6
08-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Any news on Hahn's hammy? Dont remember him hurting it against the Hawks..... Hmmmm the cynic in me is wondering if its a cop out, surely not.

Hopefully Hooper gets a gig, good to see us blooding some new talent.

I was wondering the same thing.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2010, 09:19 PM

It wouldn't be the first time.

Even if he did have an injury, I'd rather the club didn't make a public excuse for him.

Mantis
08-07-2010, 09:21 PM
No Hill is a surprise and a concern.

BulldogBelle
08-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Very disappointed to see Stack and Johnson in the side and Eagleton on the interchange. The selection committee need a lobotomy.

The get no pats on the back for including Hooper as his inclusion is a no-brainer.

stefoid
08-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Can someone tell me why Wood is being groomed as a back and not a forward?

gohardorgohome
08-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Wood needs to work on the consistancy of his kicking. Some are lovely long kicks. Others are butchered short ones.

Dazza
09-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Yeah I'm not so sure about having Johnson playing this weekend.

Rocco Jones
09-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Yeah I'm not so sure about having Johnson playing this weekend.

Especially when we have to play in Darwin 6 days later.

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Can someone tell me why Wood is being groomed as a back and not a forward?

Did he even play any junior footy up forward?

soupman
09-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Did he even play any junior footy up forward?

I'm pretty sure he didn't play a lot of junior footy. He is an "athlete turned footballer".

He doesn't play forward because he is more suited to straight running, inexperienced players tend to find half back type roles easier and his two bounce runs + kick are more valuable across half back.

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm pretty sure he didn't play a lot of junior footy. He is an "athlete turned footballer".

He doesn't play forward because he is more suited to straight running, inexperienced players tend to find half back type roles easier and his two bounce runs + kick are more valuable across half back.

Yes I recall him being a prominent cricketer. I still think he did play school footy though, right?

Mantis
09-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Especially when we have to play in Darwin 6 days later.

Eade was SEN this morning and said that Johnson is fine, he and the rest of the players selected have pulled up well.

He also stated that no player would be played if they were not right.

Desipura
09-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Eade was SEN this morning and said that Johnson is fine, he and the rest of the players selected have pulled up well.

Was not always the case, Higgins played injured some 4 weeks or so ago. It was blatantly obvious for all to see. Perhaps a lesson learnt.

Sockeye Salmon
09-07-2010, 11:04 AM

"Right" is relative.

We all know that every week every team have players not 100% fit.

Mantis
09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Was not always the case, Higgins played injured some 4 weeks or so ago. It was blatantly obvious for all to see. Perhaps a lesson learnt.

He certainly played injured against Sydney. It was hoped that Higgins would draw a decent opponent (which he did) which might allow another forward to get 'off the leash'. Stack kicked 3 in this game so I guess it worked out well.

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
He certainly played injured against Sydney. It was hoped that Higgins would draw a decent opponent (which he did) which might allow another forward to get 'off the leash'. Stack kicked 3 in this game so I guess it worked out well.

Doesn't really make sense to me but anyway, I hope Hooper gets a game and that Wood get's a more game time.

Will be interesting to see how we man up on their small forwards. We've struggled against Collingwood's Didak, Davis, Dick and Medhurst. Our backline looks much better lately withouth Everitt and Williams in there, I can't see a spot for them this week either.

The Coon Dog
09-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Western Bulldogs

I/C: Jordan Roughead, Callan Ward, Tom Williams, Easton Wood.

Emerg: Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Andrew Hooper

In: T.Williams , B.Stack, J.Roughead

divvydan
09-07-2010, 06:09 PM
One of Lake/Murphy to spend time forward this week?

Could potentially be any of the 3 emergencies playing if Johnson doesn't come up

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Poor everitt

chef
09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Poor everitt

Has he done enough to force a spot?

Ghost Dog
09-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Poor everitt

Agreed.

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Being named in the initial 25 will do Hooper's confidence no harm. Would've loved him in the 22 but don't think he's too far away and hard pressed to leave out those who did make it. Unless they are carrying more than a niggle (Johnno, Missy).

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 08:28 PM

I was really starting to get annoyed at Everitt not getting a game, but after watching Willi I can understand why the MC has left him out, he looks almost disinterested. I worry we will lose him.

Mantis
09-07-2010, 08:33 PM
I was really starting to get annoyed at Everitt not getting a game, but after watching Willi I can understand why the MC has left him out, he looks almost disinterested. I worry we will lose him.

He is probably more than a little pissed that he can't get a game. After injury he came back via Willi and played a very good game, but was once again overlooked. It probably feels to him that the MC have no confidence in him so why should he bother.

It would be great if he could fight hard to prove them wrong, but I would think that his head-space wouldn't be all that great at the moment.

Dancin' Douggy
09-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Did Grant? or Hill? or Stack?
I think Everitt will blossom at the higher level like Grant has.
He should be given the same chance as Grant.
Everitt was taken in the same draft as Jack Riewoldt, and I think we were all quite smug at the time,
especially after Everitt's first couple of games, thinking that we'd picked well and the Tigers had another dud.

One difference between now and then, is that Riewoldt has been pretty much named in the starting 22 every week because Richmond were so piss weak.

And Everitt has been treading water in the seconds because it's hard for him to break into a team that's so strong.

I know his form at AFL level is patchy but SO WAS RIEWOLDT'S. AND GRANT'S, AND HILL'S AND STACK'S.

Give Everitt a month in the seniors, guaranteed, like they did to Eagleton. (which saved his career).
I would hate for Everitt to become disillusioned and leave for greener pastures.
I believe he is a real talent and would hate to see him blossom elsewhere.

Grantysghost
09-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Williams in is a worry for mine, can see him getting lost and turned inside by Betts and co. Henderson likely matchup?

Ghost Dog
09-07-2010, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=

One difference, maybe, is that Riewoldt was pretty much named in the starting 22 every week because Richmond were so piss weak.
And Everitt has been treading water in the seconds because it was hard for him to break into a team that was so strong.

I know his form at AFL level was patchy but SO WAS RIEWOLDT'S. AND GRANT'S, AND HILL'S AND STACK'S.

Give Everitt a month, guaranteed, like they did to Eagleton which saved his career.
I would hate for Everitt to become disillusioned and leave for greener pastures.
I believe he is a real talent and would hate to see him blossom elsewhere[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Good post

chef
09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Did Grant? or Hill? or Stack?
I think Everitt will blossom at the higher level like Grant has.
He should be given the same chance as Grant.
Everitt was taken in the same draft as Jack Riewoldt, and I think we were all quite smug at the time,
especially after Everitt's first couple of games, thinking that we'd picked well and the Tigers had another dud.

One difference between now and then, is that Riewoldt has been pretty much named in the starting 22 every week because Richmond were so piss weak.

And Everitt has been treading water in the seconds because it's hard for him to break into a team that's so strong.

I know his form at AFL level is patchy but SO WAS RIEWOLDT'S. AND GRANT'S, AND HILL'S AND STACK'S.

Give Everitt a month in the seniors, guaranteed, like they did to Eagleton. (which saved his career).
I believe he is a real talent and would hate to see him blossom elsewhere.

What position do you see him playing?

Dancin' Douggy
09-07-2010, 08:52 PM

interchange

lemmon
09-07-2010, 08:59 PM
If Everitt was disillusioned last year, he would be rightly pissed off now. Stack has been spoon fed as has Hill, Eagleton and too an extent Grant and Williams. He has been quite good enough for Willi and performed better then all those mentioned yet continues to languish. I'd hate to see him leave but its becoming a real possibility.

chef
09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
interchange

What position on the field?

Dancin' Douggy
09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Hmmmm......... Forward pocket or flank?
Centre Half Forward? (might do as well as Hahn this year)
Wing? Half back Flank or even Centre Half back if Tom Williams is injured.
A run in the midfield? Pinch hit in the Ruck? (which he has actually done quite well).
Why do you ask?
What position would you say Brendon Goddard plays "on the field"?

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I love seeing Everitt on the wing running up forward, carrying the ball up and penetrating towards/inside 50. I think this position is much more suited to him than the half back option.

chef
09-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Hmmmm......... Forward pocket or flank?
Centre Half Forward? (might do as well as Hahn this year)
Wing? Half back Flank or even Centre Half back if Tom Williams is injured.
A run in the midfield? Pinch hit in the Ruck? (which he has actually done quite well).
Why do you ask?
What position would you say Brendon Goddard plays "on the field"?

Goddard is good enough to play(and star) in just about every position "on the field" and I wouldn't be comparing him with Everitt.

Everitt has struggled to make a position his own when he's been given a chance, but with a few retirements at the end of the year next season should see him get ample opportunities to find one(what it will be, who knows).

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 10:28 PM

Wing, might have to increase the size of his petrol tank though, to become a great wingman.

Dancin' Douggy
09-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Goddard is good enough to play(and star) in just about every position "on the field" and I wouldn't be comparing him with Everitt.

Everitt has struggled to make a position his own when he's been given a chance, but with a few retirements at the end of the year next season should see him get ample opportunities to find one(what it will be, who knows).

Excellent point Chef and I'm glad you raised it.
Goddard was drafted with pick number 1 in 2002.
And it's only been the last couple of years he has really taken off.
Prior to that he was roundly viewed as underwhelming, apart from the odd game.

Everitt was drafted at pick 10 in 2006.

Give him time and I believe he will deliver.
I also believe he can be a 'Goddard" type player.

anfo27
09-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Excellent point Chef and I'm glad you raised it.
Goddard was drafted with pick number 1 in 2002.
And it's only been the last couple of years he has really taken off.
Prior to that he was roundly viewed as underwhelming, apart from the odd game.

Everitt was drafted at pick 10 in 2006.

Give him time and I believe he will deliver.
I also believe he can be a 'Goddard" type player.

I wish but don't think there is any chance of that.

The Underdog
09-07-2010, 11:20 PM
i like the Williams pick. He can take O'Hailpin or Henderson. Lake gets the other who he should be able to exploit and Morris is freed up for Betts. Carlton's small forwards are our biggest danger so freeing up Morris for one of them is a good thing. Wouldn't be surprised to see wood get one of Yarran or Garlett. If Carlton throw a ruck forward and go tall then I think that's a win for us.
On a side note I think if you "get physical" with Garlett early he'll drop off.

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
i like the Williams pick. He can take O'Hailpin or Henderson. Lake gets the other who he should be able to exploit and Morris is freed up for Betts. Carlton's small forwards are our biggest danger so freeing up Morris for one of them is a good thing. Wouldn't be surprised to see wood get one of Yarran or Garlett. If Carlton throw a ruck forward and go tall then I think that's a win for us.
On a side note I think if you "get physical" with Garlett early he'll drop off.

Due to strength/endurance or heart/ticker? :confused:

The Underdog
09-07-2010, 11:36 PM
[/I][/B]
Due to strength/endurance or heart/ticker? :confused:

In the past we've targeted certain players for treatment in important games and having watched the way Garlett feels about contact I think he is someone we could reduce the effectiveness of with similiar tactics. Make no mistake I think he's a very skilled and dangerous player but I think he's susceptible to being put off his game with some niggle.

Mantis
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
In the past we've targeted certain players for treatment in important games and having watched the way Garlett feels about contact I think he is someone we could reduce the effectiveness of with similiar tactics. Make no mistake I think he's a very skilled and dangerous player but I think he's susceptible to being put off his game with some niggle.

Who do you suspect will be asked to supply the niggle?

The Underdog
09-07-2010, 11:49 PM

Given the lack of a Tim Callan, Hargrave would probably be the obvious choice, but maybe a "team effort".
To clarify, I don't necessarily think we will do this, just having watched Garlett before I don't think he enjoys contact and think he could be put off his game.

jazzadogs
09-07-2010, 11:49 PM

One of our numerous tough guys :cool:

G-Mo77
10-07-2010, 12:26 AM

In all honesty when I saw the side Thursday afternoon I was almost positive Williams would not be apart of the final 22. You've made some interesting points. It's not like Carlton's bigs are dangerous so Lake can either zone a little and/or drift forward at times.

What is everyones thoughts on what Eade will do with Judd. DO we focus on trying to shut him down or do we turn our attention and try and stop everyone around him. Judd seems to have had some pretty big games against us in the past.

Remi Moses
10-07-2010, 12:49 AM
If there is a team in this comp who drop their bundle with extreme physical presence it's Carlton. No in between with this mob.
Everitt would have to be aggrieved with Stack continually a walk up start,I'd have Everitt personally as he has more versitality than Stack.

Ghost Dog
10-07-2010, 01:28 AM

Should this not be in the Everitt thread now?

Grant had naysayers
proved them wrong. Everitt, picked ,on the interchange next round
so clearly the MC see his worth. Totally agree Dancin Doug.
You cannot say he is not good enough because he simply has not been given a fair go.

chef
10-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Should this not be in the Everitt thread now?
Grant had naysayers
proved them wrong. Everitt, picked ,on the interchange next round
so clearly the MC see his worth. Totally agree Dancin Doug.
You cannot say he is not good enough because he simply has not been given a fair go.

Yeah, probably.

bornadog
10-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Western Bulldogs

I/C: Jordan Roughead, Callan Ward, Tom Williams, Easton Wood.

Emerg: Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Andrew Hooper

In: T.Williams , B.Stack, J.Roughead

I am expecting Murphy to start up forward and Stack on the bench, with Williams or Wood in the backline depending on match ups.

Mofra
11-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Grant had naysayers
proved them wrong.
Grant was performing well in the VFL prior to his promotion this year. Had a bag of 4, performing on the HF line and the seniors were struggling in this area. He deserved his promotion and is continuing to earn his spot on performance alone.

Stack is a completely different player to Everitt - I'm not sold on Stack yet, but he is the closest thing we have to a small crumber (Harbrow aside, who is needed elsewhere) and we need one for team balance.

I would just amount stake a claim for Grant being our best crumber this year but that could start off a whole new discussion ;)

mighty_west
11-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I would just amount stake a claim for Grant being our best crumber this year but that could start off a whole new discussion ;)

How many times has Grant run into an open goal burning off his opponent, with either a crumb or cheating one out the back!

Just goes to show how dangerous he can be, given his pace, he will burn off most at the same height, he is so much more than just a one trick pony.

Mofra
11-07-2010, 03:18 PM
He has a habit of those little deft tap ons, is our quickest forward and has the best hands. His little snaps from the boundary line are class too - he knows where the goals are. He has definately stamped himself in the best 22 in just a handful of games.