PDA

View Full Version : Port Adelaide set to sack coach Mark Williams

Mantis
09-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Mike Sheahan

EXCLUSIVE: Port Adelaide is understood to be poised to cut ties with premiership coach Mark Williams.

The uneasy union could be finished as soon as tonight, when Port plays Collingwood at AAMI Stadium.

The Port board is believed to have discussed Williams' position at length yesterday as the relationship with the coach continued to deteriorate.

Full article (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-set-to-sack-coach-mark-williams/story-e6frf9jf-1225889727477)

-----

Now just heard on the radio that Williams has walked out on the club...

Rabble!!

ledge
09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
From reports early in the year being rabble started with P.A in the SANFL and P.A in AFL not getting on at all, both clubs are in trouble money wise arent they?

Axe Man
09-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I hope that Port use up any extra motivation from this tonight against the Pies and not against us next week.

mighty_west
09-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I hope that Port use up any extra motivation from this tonight against the Pies and not against us next week.

They will be going in with a new head coach against us, Williams will be coaching his last game v the Pies, so i doubt it going on history with new coaches coming in during a season.

Laidley will most likely step right in, and he has a pretty good record againt the Dogs.

LostDoggy
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I posted this on the other Mark Williams thread: I just heard on the radio that he wanted to coach until the end of his contract but the board decided he should coach his last game tonight. So that means Dean Laidley will coach as of next week - when they play us. Don't we always seem to play clubs with new coaches?? :rolleyes:

comrade
09-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Why the hell did they re-sign him last year?

The cynic in me thinks it was a good move by Laidley;

1. pick the most vulnerable head coach in the league
2. become second in charge
3. wait for the club to flounder
4. profit

ledge
09-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Why the hell did they re-sign him last year?

The cynic in me thinks it was a good move by Laidley;

1. pick the most vulnerable head coach in the league
2. become second in charge
3. wait for the club to flounder
4. profit

Only problem with that is didnt Mark Williams hand pick him?

Ghost Dog
09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Anyone here ever met Williams?

GVGjr
09-07-2010, 08:11 PM

A couple of times last year during the TAC finals.

BulldogBelle
09-07-2010, 08:29 PM

A couple of times many years ago 1996 or so when he was finishing off his assistant coaching role at Essendon and was about to head to Pt Adelaide to taken on another assistant coaching role - upon finding out I was a Dogs supporter he told me that they Pt Adel had just about sown up C Grant, I remember telling him that C Grant wouldn't leave. The second time our paths crossed, I said something to him about C Grant staying and he replied back to me and said in a very serious voice "well it's his loss - he's too loyal for his own good".

Not a very friendly man from my meetings with him on those two occasions. That was a long time ago, he's probably changed now.

mjp
09-07-2010, 09:25 PM

Yep. Fantastic bloke. One of the best people I have ever met in footy.

Remi Moses
09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Mind boggling that he got re-signed last year!Curious to see if Laidley does the job I'd think Primus might get the gig,we beat Norf last year after they sacked Laidley so no excuses for next week!!!

Sedat
10-07-2010, 12:16 AM
They could always pass the baton over to 'our mastermind'. At least he'd position them for the best possible draft picks in the up-coming ND.

Go_Dogs
10-07-2010, 07:30 PM
I think it was probably the right move, given that the powers that be at the club had probably decided that he wouldn't complete his 2-years anyway.

He's a good coach IMO, and I'm sure he'll get a gig somewhere and do well.

Next interesting thing will be who Port chase for the long term replacement. Apparently the temporary coach will be announced Monday and it's a race between Primus and Laidley.

AndrewP6
10-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Ugly finish to his tenure...should never have been offered the extension..

Throughandthrough
10-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Mark williams first senior coaching role was at glenelg, and a few people that played under him still say he is the best coach they ever had.

On the other side an Adelaide journalist, during a private conversation, said to me a few years ago that at the time he was worried that williams had lost his martes. He said that port had a duty odyssey care as his employer to seek help for him......

Throughandthrough
10-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Hooray for preventive text.
Insert marbles
And duty of care....

AndrewP6
11-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Hooray for preventive text.
Insert marbles
And duty of care....

Predictive text? Preventive text may have stopped you posting that! :)

chef
11-07-2010, 06:38 AM
I think it was probably the right move, given that the powers that be at the club had probably decided that he wouldn't complete his 2-years anyway.

He's a good coach IMO, and I'm sure he'll get a gig somewhere and do well.

Next interesting thing will be who Port chase for the long term replacement. Apparently the temporary coach will be announced Monday and it's a race between Primus and Laidley.

Not sure Laidley will want to do the poor club with no exposure thing again. He would probably prefer a wealthy club(The Eagles) where he doesn't have to be the face and have to sell the club to the public(something he didn't enjoy at the Roos).

Not sure why, but he seems to be highly regarded as a coach.

Go_Dogs
11-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Not sure Laidley will want to do the poor club with no exposure thing again. He would probably prefer a wealthy club(The Eagles) where he doesn't have to be the face and have to sell the club to the public(something he didn't enjoy at the Roos).

Not sure why, but he seems to be highly regarded as a coach.

I think that's certainly a fair assumption. I guess what it comes down to is the availability of jobs. I think Worsfold is a good coach also, and the Eagles are a better side than they have shown this year - I know there has been a bit of media speculation but not sure if there will be a job opening there?

As far as Laidley goes, I remember watching him do a few 'technical' reviews during some of his work with the commentary guys last year and he did seem to know what he's on about.