PDA

View Full Version : Round 15

The Coon Dog
10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Terrific tight contest between Geelong & Hawthorn this afternoon.

Could have gone either way, but thankfully for us the Cats got up by 2 points.

Very tricky with the swirly wind (think back to a night final at the MCG against the Eagles) which made it extremely difficult to judge the flight of the ball.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-07-2010, 05:31 PM
The last 4 times Hawthorn have played Geelong, they've lost by under 9 points. Must be wondering what they have to do to get the points.

Great game though. As TCD good, a good result for us. Hawks have St. Kilda next week don't they? If they lose that, they simply won't make top four despite their great form.

Mantis
10-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Does the result of this game show that we aren't that far away?

LostDoggy
10-07-2010, 05:37 PM

It made me feel a bit better about last week.
It's the 4 points lost last friday though that will really hurt us.

Rocco Jones
10-07-2010, 05:42 PM

I think we are more finals ready than the previous two seasons, I have a lot more faith in us actually 'turning up' (as much as I don't like the term) to a QF. We seem really up for the slugfest that is finals footy. I still don't actually have confidence in us getting over the line because of how we just can't close big games but I don't think we will get blown out of the water.

Obviously the massive problem is ironically we look unlikely to finish in the top 4 at the end of the regular season. Really hope Richmond can pull one out tonight.

chef
10-07-2010, 06:04 PM

I thought so. It's not all doom and gloom just yet:).

GVGjr
10-07-2010, 06:05 PM

I guess it does but imagine the build up to the game against the Cats if we had knocked off the Hawks by 3 points?

The Underdog
10-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I went to the Hawks vs Geelong game to kill a bit of time in between working. Always interesting to watch a game live when you're not blinded by passion.
The wind was terrible and really seemed to play havoc with the kicking and got into the player's heads. There actually seemed to be a lot of miskicks not as a direct result of the wind but due to player's trying to alter their ball drop to compensate.
It was lucky it was a tight physical contest because on a skill level the conditions made it not much fun to watch.
Really liked the way Bartel positions himself, very smart player.
I don't think I ever realised a) how quick Varcoe is and b) what a strong tackler he is. I mean, I knew he was a good defensive forward but he did some things I haven't seen much of from our forward line this year.

Mofra
10-07-2010, 06:28 PM
That's the first thing I thought of. We are, theoretically, one straight kick in step with Geelong; we also have quite a few things we should be able to fix rather quickly (tweaking our inside 50 entires) and a few players who we know have improvement left in them (Higgins & Johnno will regain touch, Shaggy is building, Murphy is playing better now than early in the season).

For all the doom and gloom, we are still fifth and improving.

Mantis
10-07-2010, 06:31 PM
That's the first thing I thought of. We are, theoretically, one straight kick in step with Geelong; we also have quite a few things we should be able to fix rather quickly (tweaking our inside 50 entires) and a few players who we know have improvement left in them (Higgins & Johnno will regain touch, Shaggy is building, Murphy is playing better now than early in the season).

For all the doom and gloom, we are still fifth and improving.

We have improvement left in us, it hasn't come just yet.

Before I Die
10-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Not having Mitchell wouldn't exactly strengthen hawthorn either.

azabob
10-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Yes and no, Geelong have an amazing ability to cover the loss of players.

The following didn't play today Johnson, Mooney, Corey and to a lesser degree Hawkins.

Go_Dogs
10-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Geelong are still the best side IMO, and rightly so, however the top sides are all capable of knocking each other off on their days.

If we are able to secure a Top 4 spot, there is no reason we can't legitimately challenge. We've got our work cut out for us, but we are still capable of getting there. Last year we closed the H&A well after the WC game and won a few big ones against Geelong and Collingwood.

Let's hope that everyone involved is aware that a great opportunity is slipping away and we can finall see the improvement we need to take that next step.

Mantis
10-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Tigers going well against Freo, 8pts up late in the 3rd.

Go Tiges!! (I'm off to wash my mouth out with beer)

The Coon Dog
10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Tigers going well against Freo, 8pts up late in the 3rd.

Go Tiges!! (I'm off to wash my mouth out with beer)

Tigers still hanging in there, very desperate.

G-Mo77
10-07-2010, 09:28 PM
It's actually been a really good game to watch. I started watching th game on Ten but the blonde diver put me off.

G-Mo77
10-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Some people just don't learn do they?

aker39
10-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Tigers win by 19 points. Makes tomorrow's game even more important now.

G-Mo77
10-07-2010, 09:46 PM

They certainly did us a favour tonight. Now we just have to win against some decent opposition for a change.

Sedat
10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Fantastic result for the chasing pack. As a result, our top 4 destiny is now back in our own hands.

LostDoggy
10-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Need to win the next two games & setup the Freo game as a top four showdown, massive few weeks coming up.

Remi Moses
10-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Watched a bit of old Freo tonight playing like millionaires!!Great win though the only issue is now folks is the mass tiger hysteria

Rocco Jones
10-07-2010, 10:21 PM
I am not sure I have enjoyed an opposition's win as much as I did tonight.

As much as I once hated Richmond, I thought it was great to see such unbridled enjoyment from them tonight. It wasn't about rubbing their opponents face in it or self absorbed individual celebrations, they just seemed really happy to be winning with their mates.

The Coon Dog
10-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I am not sure I have enjoyed an opposition's win as much as I did tonight.

As much as I once hated Richmond, I thought it was great to see such unbridled enjoyment from them tonight. It wasn't about rubbing their opponents face in it or self absorbed individual celebrations, they just seemed really happy to be winning with their mates.

I wish our guys could sing the club song with such enthusiasm as Richmond did tonight.

Desipura
11-07-2010, 06:40 AM
I wish our guys could sing the club song with such enthusiasm as Richmond did tonight.
Lets face it, their expectations from the start of the year were much lower than ours. We were winning games and not playing anywhere near our best, whereas the tigers were losing every week.
They are a young side who have not had much success of late, next year their expectations will rightly be to be in the top 8. Lets see how they go when they have higher expectations placed upon them.

Go_Dogs
11-07-2010, 07:50 AM

Whilst I agree that their enthusiasm is good, our guys have higher standards (or should) and I can bet should we win a PF or a GF we'll see that enthusiasm. Until then, I'm happy with more of an un-finished business/not satisfied approach.

mighty_west
11-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Whilst I agree that their enthusiasm is good, our guys have higher standards (or should) and I can bet should we win a PF or a GF we'll see that enthusiasm. Until then, I'm happy with more of an un-finished business/not satisfied approach.

You only have to look at Geelong, and the way they sing the song, they are so used to winning, and always expect to win, there hardly seems like there is any passion there what so ever.

mighty_west
11-07-2010, 10:07 AM

As much as they have been my most hated, i actually enjoyed their win against the Dockers, and the passion Hardwick shows after a win, you can't help but be impressed with the way they have come back from a very ordinary start of the season.

The difference between the 2 Riewoldts is astonishing, the older one i can't stand and most non Saints supporters can't stand with a passion, Jack is the total opposite, he is very enjoyable to watch, and the way he inspires his team mates is first class for a younger player.

Desipura
11-07-2010, 10:59 AM
As much as they have been my most hated, i actually enjoyed their win against the Dockers, and the passion Hardwick shows after a win, you can't help but be impressed with the way they have come back from a very ordinary start of the season.

The difference between the 2 Riewoldts is astonishing, the older one i can't stand and most non Saints supporters can't stand with a passion, Jack is the total opposite, he is very enjoyable to watch, and the way he inspires his team mates is first class for a younger player.

Jack was considered full of himself from when he was first drafted right up until preseason when he over celebrated a goal. Cousins of all people told him to "pull his head in".
"Gee, he has turned it around". From being a 3rd tall, he is the 'go to' forward in the space of what 10 weeks?
Even Hardwick made the comment after Jack kicked his first bag, that he is a 3rd tall who is playing full forward out of necessity.
I would think he will be playing out of the square for most of his career!

Mofra
12-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Near the top of the leaderboard for tackles inside 50 too - amazing workrate & deserves all the accolades he gets.