PDA

View Full Version : The Run Home; Our fight for Top 4 Spot

becmatty
11-07-2010, 09:03 PM
With seven matches to go, it will be on for young and old to secure a top 4 spot.

Geelong, St Kilda and collingwood have seemingly secured the top 3 positions, so the fight is likely to come down to Freo and us to get the all-important 4th rung.

Both Freo and Doggies have good runs home, with the round 17 clash between the two sides likely to be the most critical in deciding who gets 4th.

I feel that we can win 6 out of the final 7 games, and after today's showing against Carlton, I have renewed optimism.

The WB run home:

Rd 16: Port Adelaide at TIO Stadium
Rd 17: Fremantle at Etihad Stadium
Rd 18: North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium
Rd 19: Adelaide at AAMI Stadium
Rd 20: Geelong at Etihad Stadium
Rd 21: Sydney Swans at the SCG
Rd 22: Essendon at Etihad Stadium

LostDoggy
11-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Freo's run home
Rd 16: Melbourne at Subiaco Oval
Rd 17: Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium
Rd 18: West Coast at Subiaco Oval
Rd 19: North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium
Rd 20: Sydney Swans at Subiaco Oval
Rd 21: Hawthorn at Aurora Stadium
Rd 22: Carlton at Subiaco Oval

Their's is a little bit tougher than ours i believe, and by the looks of the match they played against the Tigers, they may crumble soon. Hopefully...

LostDoggy
11-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Hawthorn with an outside chance as well.

Mantis
11-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Their's is a little bit tougher than ours i believe, and by the looks of the match they played against the Tigers, they may crumble soon. Hopefully...

Freo will be strengthened by the return of McPharlin & Tarrant in coming weeks. Both are very good and very important players to Freo and their absence and this effect shouldn't be under-estimated.

LostDoggy
11-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Would have to win every game you would think and would hope on freo dropping 3.

Rd 16: Brisbane Lions at Aurora Stadium
Rd 17: St Kilda at Etihad Stadium
Rd 18: Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium
Rd 19: Sydney Swans at the SCG
Rd 20: Melbourne at the MCG
Rd 21: Fremantle at Aurora Stadium
Rd 22: Collingwood at the MCG

LostDoggy
11-07-2010, 11:02 PM
But the likely team to face if we finish 4th is Geelong. So lets hope that they finally tire out like lots of people thought they would this year.

becmatty
11-07-2010, 11:04 PM
But the likely team to face if we finish 4th is Geelong. So lets hope that they finally tire out like lots of people thought they would this year.

I would love to face Geelong. To be the best, you must beat the best.

defeating them first week of the finals would give us tremendous confidence to go all the way...

LostDoggy
11-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Work it out and try a few things if you must in R20 then do a number on Geelong 1st week of the finals. Smells good to me!
Now where did the Match Committee put my recipe book?

LostDoggy
11-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Work it out and try a few things if you must in R20 then do a number on Geelong 1st week of the finals. Smells good to me!
Now where did the Match Committee put my recipe book?

Nice work down Aisle 11 in the AFL Members today!

Anyway, I see the Port game very risky. Eade is talking about giving Johnson and Hall a rest. We need to win this game and not get ahead of ourselves!

LostDoggy
11-07-2010, 11:52 PM
We've beat them previous years quite easily without Hall. Don't see why this year would be much different.

vho
11-07-2010, 11:53 PM
To think we lost to Essendon a few weeks back who lose to an ordinary Melbourne side today. ARGHH!!!!!

Mofra
12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
If we play like we did yesterday we can win. In 08 we were competitive, 09 closer. We are building and if we peak at the right time (it looks like we may) then we should welcome the chance.

Mantis
12-07-2010, 10:34 AM
If we play like we did yesterday we can win. In 08 we were competitive, 09 closer. We are building and if we peak at the right time (it looks like we may) then we should welcome the chance.

Carlton had just 12 tackles in the 2nd half yesterday.

Top 4 teams just won't allow us that much freedom.

Mofra
12-07-2010, 12:23 PM

We have a 68 point buffer to worry about that though - it was our best game for the season

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 03:25 PM

I agree. When you play against the better teams they wont allow us that run and carry.

Dazza
12-07-2010, 03:34 PM
It's noticeable that with added pressure we can butcher the ball. Last weeks game is a clear example of this.

Sedat
12-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Really? That is an appalling statistic.

Mantis
12-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Really? That is an appalling statistic.

They were discussing it on SEN this morning.

Terry Wallace (in yesterday's call) pretty much discounted our 2nd half on the back of that stat... Something like a fair dinkum finals team won't offer up such little resistance so I can't say the Bulldogs have turned the corner and are a contender just yet... It isn't like we need Wallet's tick of approval, but he does have a point.

The Pie Man
12-07-2010, 04:28 PM
They were discussing it on SEN this morning.

Terry Wallace (in yesterday's call) pretty much discounted our 2nd half on the back of that stat... Something like a fair dinkum finals team won't offer up such little resistance so I can't say the Bulldogs have turned the corner and are a contender just yet... It isn't like we need Wallet's tick of approval, but he does have a point.

He was spruking similar sentiments last Saturday after the Hawthorn loss, saying we'd really struggled with the man on man pressure exerted by the Hawks after quarter time - if that were true, why were we in front at every change and kicked 2.5 in the last - and of those 5 behinds, a couple were very gettable - and only lose by 3 points with a ball flying towards our goal in the last 3 seconds?

I think we've proven we can handle an intense physical battle (which I absolutely agree we didn't get after quarter time yesterday) and will do so again in the coming 2 months. What impressed me yesterday was how sharp we looked and our ball use. That's what's been missing.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Yes. Our midfielders performed as best as they have all year and that's why we won easily.

Ghost Dog
13-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I think we've proven we can handle an intense physical battle (which I absolutely agree we didn't get after quarter time yesterday) and will do so again in the coming 2 months. What impressed me yesterday was how sharp we looked and our ball use. That's what's been missing.

Have to admit though. Carlton were comical. 1 tackle in their fow 50. Running into each other like keystone cops. Poor tagging of Coons and Griff. Shocking turnovers where they were kicking it right to our guys! Light years from what Saints and Cats will dish out.

Ghost Dog
13-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Still. We were silky. Joy to watch.

LostDoggy
13-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Ive also looked at Collingwood's draw and controversially i think they COULD miss the top 4 if they play poorly against their tougher opposition!

Dogs 24/7
13-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Ive also looked at Collingwood's draw and controversially i think they COULD miss the top 4 if they play poorly against their tougher opposition!

Hard to see them dropping off. You never know but it seems unlikely.

LostDoggy
13-07-2010, 10:49 PM

Not a bad point. They could potentially lose 3 of those games, and if they get some injuries..
who knows. They're only 2 wins ahead of us. Heres to hoping they drop off anyway :D

There's a long way to go yet.

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Not a bad point. They could potentially lose 3 of those games, and if they get some injuries..
who knows. They're only 2 wins ahead of us. Heres to hoping they drop off anyway :D

Collingwood's run home
Rd 16: St Kilda at the MCG
Rd 17: Richmond at the MCG
Rd 18: Carlton at the MCG
Rd 19: Geelong at the MCG
Rd 20: Essendon at the MCG
Rd 21: Adelaide at the MCG
Rd 22: Hawthorn at the MCG

Potentially they could lose to the Saints, Cats and Hawks.
If the Dogs win all their matches except for the match against the Cats, they can leapfrog the Pies. Unlikely i know! But definitely not out of the question!
And yes, I worked it out on the AFL Ladder predictor! ;)

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 01:30 AM
COuld lose to Richmond, and is it they can never beat Carlton either?

chef
14-07-2010, 07:58 AM

With the draw they had we would have to win every game and they would have to lose three games for us to over take them.

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Collingwood's run home
Rd 16: St Kilda at the MCG
Rd 17: Richmond at the MCG
Rd 18: Carlton at the MCG
Rd 19: Geelong at the MCG
Rd 20: Essendon at the MCG
Rd 21: Adelaide at the MCG
Rd 22: Hawthorn at the MCG

Potentially they could lose to the Saints, Cats and Hawks.
If the Dogs win all their matches except for the match against the Cats, they can leapfrog the Pies. Unlikely i know! But definitely not out of the question!
And yes, I worked it out on the AFL Ladder predictor! ;)

Do they ever travel? Not only that but all their games are at the G so they can easily prepare for finals.

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 07:43 PM
With the draw they had we would have to win every game and they would have to lose three games for us to over take them.

Yep I knew the second the siren went in that draw it would come back to haunt us.

We have Adelaide away (getting harder by the week).

Sydney away in Rooseys last game at the SCG unless they finish 5th or 6th (Extremely hard).

I think we should just hope to go above the Dockers, although it would be heaven to see the Pies drop out of the four...ooh I just got goosebumps :D

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Do they ever travel? Not only that but all their games are at the G so they can easily prepare for finals.

Yes they get to prepare but all the other teams get to prepare for them. :)

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 11:01 PM

Eddie either slept with Demetriou, or gave him alot of money!
Which one do you guys think? ;)

chef
15-07-2010, 07:31 AM

Collingwood is the AFL's cash cow so they will be looking after it in every way they can.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Collingwood is the AFL's cash cow so they will be looking after it in every way they can.

I dont like collingwood at all so defending them hurts me..

But i think you will find that most clubs when asked to put there prefrences for the draw, will have a home game against Collingwood at the G pretty high on there list.

$$$

AndrewP6
15-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Slept with him and THEN gave him a lot of money. :)

FlightoftheCallanWards
16-07-2010, 04:11 PM
As said above Saints, Cats and Hawks matches could see losses for Collingwood. Plus Carlton can give them a real run for their money and even Richmond with their form and a bit of rivalry could stick it right up to the Pies. Also Essendon is another team that could find a way to upset them. The most reallistic result is 4-3 for Collingwood though,which would mean we need to win every game to pass them. Unlikely but still a chance.

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 04:58 PM
As said above Saints, Cats and Hawks matches could see losses for Collingwood. Plus Carlton can give them a real run for their money and even Richmond with their form and a bit of rivalry could stick it right up to the Pies. Also Essendon is another team that could find a way to upset them. The most reallistic result is 4-3 for Collingwood though,which would mean we need to win every game to pass them. Unlikely but still a chance.

I used the AFL Finals predictor, and with Collingwood losing 3 matches, and the Dogs losing the one against the Cats, the Dogs overtake them apparently!

Axe Man
16-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I used the AFL Finals predictor, and with Collingwood losing 3 matches, and the Dogs losing the one against the Cats, the Dogs overtake them apparently!

I tried it myself and the Dogs do not pass the Pies with 6 wins v 4, which is not surprising since we are 10 points behind.

I was surpised in my scenario that Melbourne made the 8 with just 9.5 wins, with Sydney, Richmond and North on 9 wins. Of course results won't fall the way I quickly guessed them, but 9 to 10 wins will possibly snare eigth spot.

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I tried it myself and the Dogs do not pass the Pies with 6 wins v 4, which is not surprising since we are 10 points behind.

I was surpised in my scenario that Melbourne made the 8 with just 9.5 wins, with Sydney, Richmond and North on 9 wins. Of course results won't fall the way I quickly guessed them, but 9 to 10 wins will possibly snare eigth spot.

Maybe i put them down for a 4th loss without remembering it!