PDA

View Full Version : Can Brian win the Brownlow?

bornadog
11-07-2010, 10:47 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/861336-brian-lake.jpg

Lake is in superb form, but would the umpires see it the same way?

He certainly stands out and he has played some great games this year.

becmatty
11-07-2010, 10:51 PM
He can win it.

Boyd will be ripping some votes away from him though. It would be worth a lazy $1000 bet though.

Mantis
11-07-2010, 11:03 PM
No he can't.

When was the last time a KP defender won the award?

The Brownlow is purely a midfielders award these days.

LostDoggy
11-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Agree with Mantis here, KP players never seem to get enough votes.

AndrewP6
11-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Can't see the monkeys recognising Bwian's superb form with votes for the Charlie..

Ghost Dog
11-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Female Prime minister for the first time.
Defender wins the Brownlow for the first time....dreamin?

bornadog
11-07-2010, 11:20 PM
No he can't.

When was the last time a KP defender won the award?

The Brownlow is purely a midfielders award these days.

Never say Never;)

angelopetraglia
11-07-2010, 11:45 PM
I think he can win it.

He is a KPP that gets midfielder type stats in the games that he is likely to poll in. Contested marks stand out in the modern game and he takes plenty.

Hotdog60
12-07-2010, 06:29 AM
If he died his hair bright purple and donned a long sleeve jumper and changed to gold boots he would be a shoe in.:)

BulldogBelle
12-07-2010, 08:26 AM
He probably should...........

But he won't.

Midfielfers may apply only.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 08:42 AM
If he died his hair bright purple and donned a long sleeve jumper and changed to gold boots he would be a shoe in.:)

What's wrong with a mohawk and boots in the Doggies tri-colour? Look rather fetching, IMO.

chef
12-07-2010, 08:58 AM
He's no chance to win the Brownlow IMO, but a huge chance to win the AFLPA MVP.

aker39
12-07-2010, 09:27 AM
He'll get votes yesterday, and he'll get votes in the game where he took 25 (?) marks, but I can't see him getting too many other votes.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Female Prime minister for the first time.
Defender wins the Brownlow for the first time....dreamin?

No

Fred Goldsmith - Full Back for South Melbourne - 1955

Mofra
12-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Take yesterday's game for example. Boyd, Cooney & Griffen will feature in the brownlow votes, unless Hall sneaks one vote.
Come B&F night, Lake & Morris could well be the best vote getters for the game, such was their influence.

Betts had 14 goals in 3 games - Morris held him to three possies to 3/4 time, and goalless with 7 possessions for the match. You don't get Brownlow votes for that performance, but you don't beat top teams without them eaither.

Ozza
12-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I sat in the fwd pocket on level 1 yesterday - and although I'd prefer not to do that again - for a variety of reasons!! - I did get to see some interesting things up close - one of them being how Brian used the Big screen to help him defend.

When Carlton had marks 60-70 out - he would turn and face Setanta to watch his postion - and then look up at the screen to see what the player with ball is doing and then once he kicks it - would get body contact - turn towards the ball and fly for the mark (and nearly always take it!!). Incredible stuff.

Has anybody noticed Brian do this before?

Oh - and while I don't think Brian could win a Brownlow - but he will certainly get more votes than most or all, KP defenders from sheer weight of numbers. He just racks up huge stats and heaps of high marks - so he's in the umpires view a fair bit.

Go_Dogs
12-07-2010, 12:25 PM
I did get to see some interesting things up close - one of them being how Brian used the Big screen to help him defend.

Huh, interesting one that!

Jasper
12-07-2010, 12:59 PM
He'll get votes yesterday, and he'll get votes in the game where he took 25 (?) marks, but I can't see him getting too many other votes.

I disagree.
I reckon there has been at least 5 games this season when I have been shaking my head in disbelief at how much he has controlled these games.
The man has the ball on a string.

If Gavin Wanganeen and Brad Hardie can win a Brownlow playing loose man in the backline, no reason why Lake can't be our leading vote getter at worst

aker39
12-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I disagree.
I reckon there has been at least 5 games this season when I have been shaking my head in disbelief at how much he has controlled these games.
The man has the ball on a string.

If Gavin Wanganeen and Brad Hardie can win a Brownlow playing loose man in the backline, no reason why Lake can't be our leading vote getter at worst

Then he may score some votes in those games as well, but I think you know that it is a lot harder for the umpires to sometimes pick up these trends in a game.

Jasper
12-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Then he may score some votes in those games as well, but I think you know that it is a lot harder for the umpires to sometimes pick up these trends in a game.

Unlike some others, I was never fortunate enough to umpire an AFL game, so I really cant relate!! :)

Scorlibo
12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I think he can win it, he is like no other full back in the competition past or present, so the brownlow results of great full backs past means nothing.

The few days after the loss to Hawthorn had me thinking in accordance with the headlines, "if Hawthorn have Mitchell, Hodge, Franklin and Rioli, who are our 'busdrivers'?". Although I first thought of Cooney, Griffen, Johnson, Hall etc. the real busdriver is Brian, week in week out he pulls off some amazing stuff and especially when you're at the game you can appreciate the massive impact he has. I would have him over Ablett, Judd, Franklin, Swan, all of the big names except maybe Hodge.

Dancin' Douggy
12-07-2010, 08:49 PM
I think he can win it, he is like no other full back in the competition past or present, so the brownlow results of great full backs past means nothing.

The few days after the loss to Hawthorn had me thinking in accordance with the headlines, "if Hawthorn have Mitchell, Hodge, Franklin and Rioli, who are our 'busdrivers'?". Although I first thought of Cooney, Griffen, Johnson, Hall etc. the real busdriver is Brian, week in week out he pulls off some amazing stuff and especially when you're at the game you can appreciate the massive impact he has. I would have him over Ablett, Judd, Franklin, Swan, all of the big names except maybe Hodge.

Yes I can see it. He is the driver but he's at the back.
The man with his hand on the outboard motor.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Bookies say;

Sportsbet/Centrebet: $67
Doggiesbet/Luxbet: $51

ledge
12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
A fullback who kicks goals now thats gotta pull some votes when he has been at both ends.

Greystache
12-07-2010, 10:00 PM
I sat in the fwd pocket on level 1 yesterday - and although I'd prefer not to do that again - for a variety of reasons!! - I did get to see some interesting things up close - one of them being how Brian used the Big screen to help him defend.

When Carlton had marks 60-70 out - he would turn and face Setanta to watch his postion - and then look up at the screen to see what the player with ball is doing and then once he kicks it - would get body contact - turn towards the ball and fly for the mark (and nearly always take it!!). Incredible stuff.

Has anybody noticed Brian do this before?

I noticed this quite a bit when he played on Franklin, I pointed it out to a few people before the game.

Ghost Dog
12-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Maybe just doing the hair check.;)

Ozza
14-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Looking at Brian's matches this year - maybe its not that far out of the question for him to win the brownlow or at least go well. I'm probably just being silly - I dismissed the idea at first - but just looked through his performances and there are a few of note;

Round 3: Blitzed Buddy - and had 27 disposals (12 marks in the process)- could score votes.
Round 6: 12 marks and 20 possies v St.Kilda. He also had 6 tackles that night. (Maybe Coons and Harbrow beat him out for votes - as well as Hayes).
Round 7: In the wet v Melbourne nobody apart from Scully stood out, Brian had it 14 times and kicked a crucial goal.
Round 8: 24 possies, 11 marks and starred against the Swans.
Round 9: 41 possies, 22 marks v North. Certain votes.
Round 11: Now he shouldn't vote vs Collingwood - but had a big last qrtr and will have been in the Umps minds as a result. Kicked a late goal.
Round 12: vs Brisbane - we had a lot of good performers - Brian had it 22 times and controlled the backline.
Round 13 v WCE he had it 24 times (11 marks) and again controlled the game down back.
Round 14 v Buddy - it was the Lake and Buddy show and he took 18 marks - surely he polls?
Round 15 v Carlton - obviously in the mix again with 28 touches and a big influence.

A couple more big games and it might not be as crazy as it sounds for a full back to be in the mix!
He polled 3 votes twice last year in his 7 votes.

aker39
14-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Looking at Brian's matches this year - maybe its not that far out of the question for him to win the brownlow or at least go well. I'm probably just being silly - I dismissed the idea at first - but just looked through his performances and there are a few of note;

I think the only games he will have a chance of polling votes are

Round 13 v WCE he had it 24 times (11 marks) and again controlled the game down back.
Round 15 v Carlton - obviously in the mix again with 28 touches and a big influence.

I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Ozza
14-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I think the only games he will have a chance of polling votes are

I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

fair enough. You're probably right - although surely he'll poll votes versus Hawthorn 2 weeks ago? Everyone in the stadium had their eyes on the Lake/Buddy dual - and surely the umpires could see and sense it?

aker39
14-07-2010, 08:09 PM
fair enough. You're probably right - although surely he'll poll votes versus Hawthorn 2 weeks ago? Everyone in the stadium had their eyes on the Lake/Buddy dual - and surely the umpires could see and sense it?

1 at most in a losing team.

Hodge and Mitchell for 3 & 2.

Ghost Dog
14-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Who would have picked Adam in the year he won it?
He almost didn't even go to the Brownlow himself I read somewhere. Who can say.

I experience a lot of games on TV now being a bit tight for cash.
I think of all the players of ours who fly under the radar, who don't really dominate the centre stage, but who I know are there, behind the scenes, giving it all they have.
Morris for example. How hard they work and how little chance they have of winning a brownlow.
Makes me care less about it.

Go team.

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 11:05 PM

Despite that, I think of all the players of ours who fly under the radar, who I can't see on TV, but who I know are there, behind the scenes, giving it all they have.
Morris for example. How hard they work and how little chance they have of winning a brownlow.

Go team.

I had him in front at half way but wasn't sure he could hang on.

Ghost Dog
14-07-2010, 11:10 PM
He certainly wasn't the favorite. I'm not saying it's not an honor. I was rapt for him.
And I would be for Brian. But I would much rather it be put around the neck of a player with a premiership cup in both hands

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow...just heard one intense statement

David Parkin from AFL Teams: "Brian Lake I think has gone to become the Best full back of all eras"..
*Queue Brian Taylor dropping his head*

"Scarlett gone past SOS, Lake past Scarlett"

BT: "Lake has played well for 3 years, Scarlett has played well for 15 years"
DP: "This bloke has surpassed them all"

Bold statement...it is David Parkin..

craigsahibee
16-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Brian Lake

FBOTC.

ledge
16-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Wow...just heard one intense statement

David Parkin from AFL Teams: "Brian Lake I think has gone to become the Best full back of all eras"..
*Queue Brian Taylor dropping his head*

"Scarlett gone past SOS, Lake past Scarlett"

BT: "Lake has played well for 3 years, Scarlett has played well for 15 years" DP: "This bloke has surpassed them all"

Bold statement...it is David Parkin..

Well Brian must be counting the 3 years before Scarlett played in the AFL too.

As far as marking and running off I do believe he is better than the others, but lets look at who they played against too.
SOS played in an era of great full forwards.

Ghost Dog
16-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Year of the non-midfielder?

A sports bet article with the following re Brian.

BRIAN LAKE – The Western Bulldogs Full Back has emerged in the past two seasons as the best backman in the AFL. Lake is a superb overhead contested mark and a fine kick who hardly misses a target.\

[B]Why He Can Win :)

a full back who is capable of picking up over thirty possessions in a match is extremely rare. Lake catches the eye with his pack marking and is also well known to run with the football and act as a link man for his side.

Why He Can’t Win :(

Only one full back has ever won the Brownlow Medal – Fred Goldsmith in 1955 (though St Kilda’s Verdun Howell was awarded a retrospective Medal for tieing in 1959). We have seen some outstanding full backs including David Dench, Kelvin Moore, Matthew Scarlett and Steve Silvagni but none has ever looked like winning football’s highest honour. Lake inflates his possession tally with plenty of cheap touches as the Bulldogs chip around the backline. Lake also has plenty of quality midfielders such as Cooney, Griffin and Boyd who will no doubt take votes off him.

http://www.sportingbet.com.au/betblog/index.php/brownlow-medal-is-it-the-year-of-the-non-midfielder/

mighty_west
16-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Year of the non-midfielder?

You never know, there is a big ruckman in Freo that might give the mids a run for their money.

EasternWest
19-07-2010, 02:28 PM

I think of all the players of ours who fly under the radar, who don't really dominate the centre stage, but who I know are there, behind the scenes, giving it all they have.

Go team.

The $400 in my sky-rocket says at least one person did.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 02:55 PM

Then they would have also seen the late hit on Buddy after he kicked what turned out to be the winning goal. It's the “fairest and best” and most people forget that in the Brownlow betting. It doesn't always go to the best player — sometimes umps give the votes to the fairest — a solid reason why Scott West always polled well although he was consistently dismissed to be not as good as other midfielders he “stole” votes from.

The umps wouldn't have liked that hit on Buddy one bit. It was out of character but unsporting nevertheless. I'd say the votes would go Hodge 3, Mitchell 2, Rioli 1.

Well Brian must be counting the 3 years before Scarlett played in the AFL too.

As far as marking and running off I do believe he is better than the others, but lets look at who they played against too.
SOS played in an era of great full forwards.

Concur, 100%.

Also, as said above, winning the Brownlow is not a target for Brian. He wouldn't even think about it and given how laid back he is, I doubt he'd care either way. For me, having opposition fans sitting near me shaking their heads in terror at the sheer talent of the man is a much better accolade. :-) The umps may not notice, but the opposition does.