PDA

View Full Version : Hall and Johnson earn a week off

The Coon Dog
12-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Peter Hanlon & Michael Gleeson - The Age - 12 July

THE Western Bulldogs are set to make the trip to Darwin this week without Barry Hall or Brad Johnson, but with Jason Akermanis likely to return as the Dogs wrestle the need to rest sore bodies against building on the much-needed momentum gained in yesterday's demolition of Carlton.

After the Bulldogs notched their biggest win against the Blues in their 137 meetings, by 68 points, coach Rodney Eade effectively ruled captain Johnson and full-forward Hall out of the game against Port Adelaide with ankle injuries, with Brennan Stack certain to miss with a hamstring problem.

Eade conceded there was always a risk in resting players, not least against a team playing its first game under a new coach.

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hall-and-johnson-earn-a-week-off-20100711-105n2.html)

Desipura
12-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Peter Hanlon & Michael Gleeson - The Age - 12 July

THE Western Bulldogs are set to make the trip to Darwin this week without Barry Hall or Brad Johnson, but with Jason Akermanis likely to return as the Dogs wrestle the need to rest sore bodies against building on the much-needed momentum gained in yesterday's demolition of Carlton.

After the Bulldogs notched their biggest win against the Blues in their 137 meetings, by 68 points, coach Rodney Eade effectively ruled captain Johnson and full-forward Hall out of the game against Port Adelaide with ankle injuries, with Brennan Stack certain to miss with a hamstring problem.

Eade conceded there was always a risk in resting players, not least against a team playing its first game under a new coach.

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hall-and-johnson-earn-a-week-off-20100711-105n2.html)
Not in a million years! :D

chef
12-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Crazy talk.

Mantis
12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Crazy talk.

So let's take players who are sore on a 4hr plane trip and then make them run around for 2hrs in hot & humid conditions.

Then we will throw them back on a plane and give them a week to recover before we take on a top 4 team in a game which could well shape our season.

Yep, crazy talk. :rolleyes:

chef
12-07-2010, 10:34 AM
So let's take players who are sore on a 4hr plane trip and then make them run around for 2hrs in hot & humid conditions.

Then we will throw them back on a plane and give them a week to recover before we take on a top 4 team in a game which could well shape our season.

What's with the eyerolling Mantis?

It is a must win game this week(in fact they all are for the rest of the year) and I would rather play Barry in bursts then not at all(Johnno's a different story). Port are not going to be easy beats and if we lose this week then next week probably won't shape our season.

Ozza
12-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I am definitely concerned about having to rest Barry - and changing up a structure that worked yesterday. But if it has to be done - then I guess this is the week to do it. Very nervous about it though.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 10:42 AM

It is a must win game this week(in fact they all are for the rest of the year) and I would rather play Barry in bursts then not at all(Johnno's a different story). Port are not going to be easy beats and if we lose this week then next week probably won't shape our season.

Agree 100% with Mantis, sorry. We need to be worried about Freo, not Port. We have a good run home, with Freo and Geelong the dangers. Risking our key forward in Round 16 would be beyond stupid.

Desipura
12-07-2010, 10:58 AM

Agree 100%. We have enough depth to cover the outs (especially against Port)

Mantis
12-07-2010, 11:02 AM

I was being sarcastic so I used the sarcasm 'emoticon'.

Look I don't want to take Port lightly, but I see no need in risking the welfare of our players in a game we should win with a leg in the air.

Mofra
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Jones coming off good form, a good game week before last and a BOG yesterday has earned the right for a senior berth, and Hall is a 33 year old who has earned the right for a rest.

I really can't see the problem, considering we have been screaming for a more even spread of goalkickers all year.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 11:21 AM

Look I don't want to take Port lightly, but I see no need in risking the welfare of our players in a game we should win with a leg in the air.

I would also like to rest Hudson who has manfully carried out his role this year but may be beginning to buckle under the strain

The problem is of course, what if we rest players and then lose?

Irrespective of whether those changes contribute to the result, the Match Committee would be on a hiding to nothing from supporters. One or two of them might even belong to WOOF.

chef
12-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Fair enough:).

G-Mo77
12-07-2010, 11:51 AM
If they are genuinely injured/sore and need some rest then yeah give them a week off. If it's just a rest for the sake of it then no way! We have made our own bed in regards to our ladder position the worst thing we could do is take a team lightly rest players and drop one we shouldn't.

Throughandthrough
12-07-2010, 03:06 PM
My Mail is "The Chad" will also miss the flight and will be lining up for Glenelg this week, for his first game there for many years.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
My Mail is "The Chad" will also miss the flight and will be lining up for Glenelg this week, for his first game there for many years.

Are you talking about Chad Studley Cornes? :D

Throughandthrough
12-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Are you talking about Chad Studley Cornes? :D

the one and only.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3417/3496868673_652eaf110c.jpg

And Josh Carr to be promoted to Glenelg as well.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-07-2010, 04:12 PM

I do not think we should under estimate Port this week. Their form against Collingwood was pretty good and with a new Coach on board you could expect spirited opposition.
Better to take Hall and use him sparingly if need be. This is to important a clash to go into the game without Hall our best forward by far this year. Liam Jones has plenty of time to show his wares. I would make just two changes bringing back Aker and Eagleton for Stack and Johnson.

Mantis
12-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I do not think we should under estimate Port this week. Their form against Collingwood was pretty good and with a new Coach on board you could expect spirited opposition.
Better to take Hall and use him sparingly if need be. This is to important a clash to go into the game without Hall our best forward by far this year. Liam Jones has plenty of time to show his wares. I would make just two changes bringing back Aker and Eagleton for Stack and Johnson.

It was?

Besides a good 1st qtr when they kicked with a strong wind they were ordinary.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 04:33 PM
I remember in 2006 when we needed one more win to make the top 8. We all thought we were a shoo in to beat Port in Darwin & they beat us. We can't underestimate them. I know it was 4 years ago & both teams are very different, but just wanted to make a point. :)

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Given the conditions we will face in Darwin I quite like the idea of a smaller forward line.

Given the slippery conditions in Darwin the ball will definitely be on the deck far more often making Baz surplus this week.

I like the idea of our old method of small unpredicatble forward line. Take Baz out and it will make Primus' job of organising his backline a hell of a lot more difficult.

We got Aker to come back in, Possibly Hill as well, I think we'll have more than enough scoring power to overcome Port. They are a dead set rabble at the moment, I've watched a few of their games of late and they are as bad as it gets. If we are worth our salt this year we should dispose of them clinically as good sides do (see geelong, St Kilda) and prepare ourselves for what will no doubt be our season defining game.

Our backline has shown it's versatility all year and will not be troubled whether the ball is in the air or on the deck, their smaller brigade of forwards will have a nice tough night out.

I'm sure it was always in Rocket's calculations to give baz a rest at some stage and this week seems as good as any.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Damn:mad:

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
And Josh Carr to be promoted to Glenelg as well.

Damn again:mad::mad:

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 05:04 PM
It would be a good week try out Jones!

I would also like to rest Hudson but this probably isnt the right week as we already have Hall and Johnson out, maybe when Minno is back he can get a rest!

The Bulldogs Bite
12-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Given the conditions we will face in Darwin I quite like the idea of a smaller forward line.

Given the slippery conditions in Darwin the ball will definitely be on the deck far more often making Baz surplus this week.

I like the idea of our old method of small unpredicatble forward line. Take Baz out and it will make Primus' job of organising his backline a hell of a lot more difficult.

We got Aker to come back in, Possibly Hill as well, I think we'll have more than enough scoring power to overcome Port. They are a dead set rabble at the moment, I've watched a few of their games of late and they are as bad as it gets. If we are worth our salt this year we should dispose of them clinically as good sides do (see geelong, St Kilda) and prepare ourselves for what will no doubt be our season defining game.

Our backline has shown it's versatility all year and will not be troubled whether the ball is in the air or on the deck, their smaller brigade of forwards will have a nice tough night out.

I'm sure it was always in Rocket's calculations to give baz a rest at some stage and this week seems as good as any.

This.

Great post.

I hope we rest Hudson soon too, though. Probably can't rest him if both Johnson/Hall aren't making the trip, but I don't want to reach Finals and have Hudson running on empty like he was in 2008. He's one of our most important players - need to manage him accordingly. He has to play v Freo obviously, but the Kangaroos/Adelaide (away) games will be important too.

Hotdog60
12-07-2010, 07:38 PM
I've had a think about who should be rested and came up with this team list, we have to elevate a rookie or two and I thought who needs a interchange bench the boys are fit enough.

B Callan, Mulligan, Tiller

HB Addison, Boumann, Tutt

C Moles, Hooper, Howard

HF Daniels, Jones, Prato

F Hill, Panos, Akermanis

R Roughead, Eagleton, Rose

Ghost Dog
12-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Agree 100%. We have enough depth to cover the outs (especially against Port)

I see no need in risking the welfare of our players in a game we should win with a leg in the air.

Balance the risks. Need those 4 points badly. Also need to rest the key players.
But totally disagree with both of the above.

As posted in another thread.

"From all reports Carr was leap-frogged into the team because he pleaded to play in Choco's farewell game, not because he was about to retire. Added nothing, and just too slow now - Harding would have given us more. And Motlop ... well he occupied a guernsey again."

They may have dead wood gone by rnd 16 + new brains in the box + surely fire in the guts being proud club.

It may be good to rest key players for fear of injury. Port are brawlers ( 2009, 14 times tribunal to our 6 ). No injuries wanted.

Tight contest predicted. Hope I am wrong.

Flamethrower
12-07-2010, 07:54 PM
SEN are reporting that Bazza has an ankle injury and may be out for a few weeks. Ouch!

GVGjr
12-07-2010, 07:56 PM
SEN are reporting that Bazza has an ankle injury and may be out for a few weeks. Ouch!

Hopefully it's just the one week.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Last year we had Minson playing perhaps one of his best games, and Aker tore them apart. With Aker's form unknown — he may be back but then again he may just have been a champion AFL player playing against VFL-level opposition — it's a bit of a worry how the team is going to shape up.

I think we've shown this year that we can handle it without Johnno. Hall is the player we need to protect as much as possible. He is vital — without him, go to Europe for a month-long holiday on September 1st.

I'd like to see — Aker for Stack. Eagle for Johnno.

LostDoggy
12-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Good fuel for the new coach to say that we are not taking them seriously but the gamble is probably worth it for future games

ledge
12-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Can I ask why Eade would be resting players after they just had a rest due to the bye??
Seriously it was only 2 games ago they had a week off.
Then the 2 players he said he is resting are injured, which is it?

AndrewP6
12-07-2010, 09:37 PM
If they're legitimately sore, rest them, but I'm not sold on the idea of resting them just because they're due for a rest. Sure, Port aren't much chop ATM, but then neither have we been. We have needed a good scoring spread, but a lot has rested on Baz's broad shoulders thus far, and players haven't made contributions as we'd expected. Hope the lads can continue the effort from this week. And I hope Baz is out for one not two....

Hotdog60
12-07-2010, 10:04 PM
It would be nice for Jones to step up if selected and stamp his mark as Bazza apprentice and kick a bag as well.

The Coon Dog
12-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Can I ask why Eade would be resting players after they just had a rest due to the bye??
Seriously it was only 2 games ago they had a week off.
Then the 2 players he said he is resting are injured, which is it?

A/ because of the heat & humidity in Darwin & B/ the effect it has on recovery for the following game which just happens to be against Freo.

Throughandthrough
13-07-2010, 09:34 AM
my interpretation of the Hall "bad ankle may be out for 2 weeks" story

"we are resting him but for gods sake don't make it sound as though we think Port will be easy beats"

Desipura
13-07-2010, 09:45 AM
my interpretation of the Hall "bad ankle may be out for 2 weeks" story

"we are resting him but for gods sake don't make it sound as though we think Port will be easy beats"
Thats it in a nutshell. Also they thought they would get on the front foot and say he will be out for 1-2 weeks, yeh right!
I am certain Bazza will play against Freo.

Mantis
13-07-2010, 09:54 AM
A/ because of the heat & humidity in Darwin & B/ the effect it has on recovery for the following game which just happens to be against Freo.

Port & Melbourne played in Darwin in rd 9 in game where Port fought back from a large margin to narrowly go down by just 1 point.

The next week Melbourne had to rest Trengove & Scully as they didn't come up and the Dee's put in a pretty flat performance against Geelong.

Port faced Richmond in the wet at AAMI park and were beaten by 47 pts. At this point Richmond was still a basket case.

Port haven't won a game since the Darwin clash and Melbourne won their first game since on Sunday.

All this may have nothing at all to do with the effect the conditions in Darwin have played in these sub-standard performances, but if they have we need to prepare well and not take any chances.

Greystache
13-07-2010, 10:19 AM
If Barry is sore then rest him, no issue there, no point wearing down an older player who will be a key to our finals campaign. Also if we can't beat Port who are coming off 8 consecutive losses without Hall then our season is in worse shape than I thought.

I don't agree with talk of resting Hudson though, I agree he's a key to our team, but he had a weeks break 2 games ago.

LostDoggy
13-07-2010, 10:28 AM
We are not resting Johnno or Barry, they have ankle injuries, Stack is also injured.

However, I reckon Minson and Roughy would beat the Port rucks and Hudson needs a rest.

So Minson, Aker, Hill and Eagle/Everitt in. Maybe Eagle for his last game against his old club.

Ghost Dog
13-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I remember in 2006 when we needed one more win to make the top 8. We all thought we were a shoo in to beat Port in Darwin & they beat us. We can't underestimate them. I know it was 4 years ago & both teams are very different, but just wanted to make a point. :)

Agreed. this club needs to take a leaf out of Geelong's book and learn to keep the foot on the throat of even seemingly lowly opponents. Port will take more risks and have some new faces this round. One of the AFL's least successful club ( ours! ) on and off the field needs to treat every game as a prelim final now. No prisoners!!!!

Desipura
13-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Agreed. this club needs to take a leaf out of Geelong's book and learn to keep the foot on the throat of even seemingly lowly opponents. Port will take more risks and have some new faces this round. One of the AFL's least successful club ( ours! ) on and off the field needs to treat every game as a prelim final now. No prisoners!!!!

Geelong have rested their players during the year. They had a number of them out against Melbourne (Ablett being one of them) when they played them at the Cattery.

Mantis
13-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Geelong have rested their players during the year. They had a number of them out against Melbourne (Ablett being one of them) when they played them at the Cattery.

Geelong are also on top of the ladder and have participated in the last 3 GF's, winning 2.

We are still battling for a top 4 spot so need to be a bit more cautious in our approach to resting players. (which I think was the point GD was trying to make)

Desipura
13-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Geelong are also on top of the ladder and have participated in the last 3 GF's, winning 2.

We are still battling for a top 4 spot so need to be a bit more cautious in our approach to resting players. (which I think was the point GD was trying to make)

As I said in my previous post, we have the depth to cover the likes of Hall. In fact, it will make us less predictable (like last season). It just means the likes of Gia, Higgins & Grant have to carry some of Halls load and become more of a target up there.

Ghost Dog
13-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Be cautious alright.
Throw in a Game on the road,new coach,shake up of their list, heat from the media and their fans ( Port forums are ablaze ) too many variables to write them off as ' easy beats', even if they turn out to be.

Resting players is a good move IMO. Make the others work for goals, will be good for confidence, Gia, Missy et al. But, need to keep the team as close to the Carlton game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Went to the etihad game in the NAB. NAB is NAB, but you are talking about a club that beat the Aints. When they are on song, they can beat good clubs. Granted they are missing a few.
In short, caution but...

"We fear no club!" D. Smorgon

chef
13-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Maybe Lake could spend the whole game at full forward in place of Hall with Morris and Williams holding the key posts down back.

Desipura
13-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Maybe Lake could spend the whole game at full forward in place of Hall with Morris and Williams holding the key posts down back.

Not a bad suggestion.....

LostDoggy
13-07-2010, 04:28 PM
I've had a think about who should be rested and came up with this team list, we have to elevate a rookie or two and I thought who needs a interchange bench the boys are fit enough.

B Callan, Mulligan, Tiller

HB Addison, Boumann, Tutt

C Moles, Hooper, Howard

HF Daniels, Jones, Prato

F Hill, Panos, Akermanis

R Roughead, Eagleton, Rose

Would this be the 2010 Western Bulldogs playing list who have played at least one game for Willy this year minus those who are currently injured?

Roughead could have a rest in the pocket while Prado goes onball and Akermanis pushing up the flank. Addison could ruck but will be more valuable as a second tall who can run and kick from across halfback and first choice for loose man across half back if required. I see Eagleton and Rose rotating with, in no particlar order, Hooper,Howard, Akermanis and Tutt. This will help break tags and share the high workload and intensity required. IMO

ledge
13-07-2010, 07:59 PM

So as usual the headline of the article does not reflect the truth or whats written below.
EARN a week off?
Should be prepare for the week after or will not play due to the conditions.

Hotdog60
13-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Would this be the 2010 Western Bulldogs playing list who have played at least one game for Willy this year minus those who are currently injured?

Roughead could have a rest in the pocket while Prado goes onball and Akermanis pushing up the flank. Addison could ruck but will be more valuable as a second tall who can run and kick from across halfback and first choice for loose man across half back if required. I see Eagleton and Rose rotating with, in no particlar order, Hooper,Howard, Akermanis and Tutt. This will help break tags and share the high workload and intensity required. IMO

Not a bad move DaDruid, does the coach count as being on the list. Rocket could be handy coming of the bench were he's coaching and take some short bursts across half back. He was pretty handy for Hawthorn in his days.