Saturday July 17
7:10pm
TIO Stadium Darwin

Ladder Positions
Western Bulldogs 5th - 9 wins 6 losses 131.69%
Port Adelaide 14th - 5 wins 10 losses 79.00%

Last time they met:

Round 12- June 13 2009 – TIO Stadium

Western Bulldogs 4.2 8.5 13.9 21.11 (137)

Port Adelaide 1.1 4.1 5.2 7.2 (44)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs: Minson 3, Johnson 3, Hill 3, Gia 2, Hahn 2, Ward, Gilbee, Boyd, Griffen, Aker, Higgins, Hudson, Picken – all 1

Port Adelaide: Ebert 2, Cassisi, Tredrea, Rodan, Westhoff, Motlop – all 1.
BEST
Western Bulldogs: Hargrave, Cross, Ward, Harbrow

Port Adelaide: K Cornes, Cassisi, Thurstans.

Last 5 games head to head

Round 12 2009- WB 137 def Port 44 - TIO
Round 14 2008- WB 135 def Port 81 - TIO
Round 14 2007- WB 133 def Port 113 - Etihad
Round 19 2006- Port 105 def WB 91 - TIO
Round 7 2006 - WB 166 def Port 90 - AAMI

Form leading in:
Port Adelaide

LLLLL

Port Adelaide chose to start their season early gaining a month’s start on most other clubs. Accordingly, they hit the ground running in Round One and won five of their first seven games. At that point, they were only percentage away from 3rd position.

In Round 7, Warren Tredrea smashed his ankle and in his absence, they have not won a game since. They have now registered eight losses in a row and do not look like reversing that trend, until........................?

Port Adelaide, not being used to such failure, found a way to dismiss Choco Williams as Coach after last week’s game amid much cheer and joviality from Port supporters and much sorrow from opposition supporters. His replacement, Matthew Primus having been mentored by such luminaries as Jade Rawlings, Darren Crocker and Ben Allan, has declared he wants the job full-time.
Should Primus reverse the trend, he must find a way for Port to score. Over their last six matches, they have scored, 30, 63, 55, 93, 58 and 79 points. The absence of Tredrea has left them impotent in front of goal with only Ebert and the Richmond reject (doesn’t say a lot) Schulz, being able to find the big sticks.

For this week’s match, Port will be without P Burgoyne, Tredrea, Lade, Pettigrew, Thurstans, and M Motlop since the last time we met - a 93 point victory to the Dogs. I doubt whether their replacements will measure up to this lot, although the latter two were no champions and are probably playing for Henley Greek, Gaza or Myponga by now. Sorry, you need to be local.

Western Bulldogs

WLWWL

After an up and down start to the season, the Dog’s form over the past month has been pretty solid. Big wins over Brisbane and West Coast (both expected) have been followed by a solid effort against a rampant Hawthorn (who got within 2 points of Geelong without Mitchell last week) and a thumping of top 4 pretenders Carlton.

Regaining players of the calibre of Johnson, Ward, Hargrave, Picken, Williams and Higgins has added much to the side. The outstanding form of Lake and the inclusion of Wood and Murphy have brought solidarity and flexibility to the back six which has various mix and match options now available to it. Those of us of the persuasion that Backlines win Premierships are feeling pretty good at this point.

With Cooney, Griffen, and Boyd in form we have our best three mid-fielders able to match it with the competition’s best. The team has numerous options to run through the middle to complement the starting three.

Last week we saw a significant lift in the quality of our disposal particularly when entering the forward 50. It is critical for the team that this improvement continues

Potential Ins & Outs

Port Adelaide - the big news in Adelaide predicts Chad Cornes and Carr will be demoted to the SANFL (not a lot happens in Adelaide). If this proves to be true, it is not in our best interests as neither have had a kick for the year.

Western Bulldogs - Hall is out and Johnson must be considered doubtful although the latest reports are that he has recovered. Stack is gone. There is some talk of resting Hudson. Our previous experience tells us that the ball is on the ground a lot in Darwin due to the humidity and possible rain. It will not be a night for big grabs overhead (with the obvious exception of Lake who could catch a bar of soap in a waterfall).

Some Woofers are spruiking Jones but the conditions won’t suit him as they did not in the pre-season game.

Minson may replace Hudson if rested otherwise Roughead is heading back to Willi. Whilst the conditions won’t suit big fellows, the humidity will be draining, especially for them. I think it would be prudent to persist with two Ruckmen especially against Brogan who can play a bit.

Sure ball handling, speed and precision passing will be important. Eagleton is a chance and would be useful up there. How do I know? Mantis told me. In the absence of Hall, Hill may get a reprieve despite not breaking any records at Willi.

Key Match ups

Hudson/Minson v Brogan – Brogan is a good competitor and Hudson and/or Minson will need to be on their game to compete. They have some useful mid-fielders and it is important we get first use of the ball as we did last week.

Whilst Brogan is good around the ground I don’t expect any ruckman to make a big impression (other than in pure ruck-work) because of the conditions.

K Cornes v Cooney/Boyd

Cornes, who it must be said is the pre-eminent tagger in the business, cut-up Boyd during the first half last year. Boyd got back into it in the second half but Cornes held sway over the night. A good effort given the spanking Port received. It will be interesting to see whether Cornes is set on Boyd or Cooney but whoever it is they are in for a hard time. Fortunately, Cornes cannot kick over the man on the mark so he won’t hurt us going the other way.

Picken v Rodan

Rodan is a dangerous player around goals. Last year he even kicked one for us. I believe Picken will get Rodan and I have complete faith in him doing the job. Given a free rein he can be devastating through the middle and Picken will need to get hold of him early as he grows with confidence when he is on top.

Morris v Motlop

Coming into the game last year, Motlop was the big threat. Morris cut him to pieces to the point he waved the white flag late in the game and literally gave up. This is not new to him and Morris will put him in the flag-waving frame of mind again.

Midfield vs Midfield

As with all games the mid-field battle will be key. Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, Cross, Ward and Picken etc v Cassisi, K Cornes, Rodan, Salopek, Logan and Boak. On paper, ours is streets ahead but the job remains to be done. Where I think we can really damage them is through the middle (they allow this because they don’t employ a rolling zone too often) providing our disposal is as measured as last week. It is further critical given the change to our structure up forward without Hall.

Where the game will be won and lost

Other than the performance of our midfield, the critical issue remains how we perform without Hall. They have a couple of gorillas in Chaplin and Carlisle down back and we must structure up in recognition of this. Again the conditions will favour the smaller blokes so through a combination of Gia, Higgins, Grant, Johnson, Murphy (who I think will be play forward in Hall’s absence) we may be too nimble and classy for them.

Quick movement of the ball going into the forward line will enable our forwards to run into space. Get clogged, should they elect to use a zone and the gorillas will have a field day.

I have no doubt about our backline being able to hold their forwards. Unless their midfielders get involved they will continue to struggle to kick a winning score.

There is one factor which may come into play here and it is, to some extent, out or our control. The hype of a new coach and the success which historically comes to teams who change their coach mid-year is simply unexplainable. But it is a fact. And it is a threat. Hopefully, they played out their emotions last week for Choco’s last hurrah.

Verdict
Eight losses in a row says it all really. And for those of us who live in this city it is a beautiful thing indeed. Not as beautiful as it would be if it happened to the other mob, but still beautiful, nevertheless.

In the absence of them signing up a Coleman, Lockett and Ablett Snr overnight, I can’t see them kicking a winning score.

Bulldogs by 80 points
Motlop to be reported

Go_Dogs
14-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Great work on the preview EJ.

From memory, Griff went to Rodan last year and played pretty well on him. Given Rodan does his best work in the clearance/congestion where his strong core allows him to evade tacklers, I think a more inside option would be preferred, such as Griff or perhaps Crossy (but he'd lack the burst speed)

Picken to Pearce for mine.

mjp
14-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Picken to Pearce for mine.

And for me as well.

Nice preview EJ.

aker39
14-07-2010, 11:38 AM
When and Where

Saturday July 17
7:10pm
TIO Stadium Darwin

Great preview.

Just one point - the game starts at 7.40pm Melbourne time, and fortunately is live on Channel 10.

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Great preview.

Just one point - the game starts at 7.40pm Melbourne time, and fortunately is live on Channel 10.

Yes but most Woofers live in Adelaide:D

Mofra
14-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I know this has been pegged as a danger game but as EJ has rightly pointed out, Port really are having some trouble in putting scores on the board. Our defence has been brilliant this year - Carlton almost matched us for inside 50s (although our quality of entry was better), our defence destroyed them.

Mantis
14-07-2010, 01:16 PM
A ripper preview EJ, well done.

Haven't taken much interest in Port this year, but as you have stated they have real trouble hitting the scoreboard and as you and Mofra have added our defence should be able to keep them in check.

I too hope to see Picken go to Pearce as he gave him hell last year and expect more of the same, but I would think he would be the only player we 'sit on', but still would like us to keep Rodan & Boak in check.

Expect nothing but a professional approach to this game and expect another good win.

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 02:00 PM

Should we conduct a census? ;)

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Aker confirmed as out and Liam Jones in the mix.

Article on AFL.com.au
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/98177/default.aspx

Go_Dogs
14-07-2010, 02:10 PM

The more intelligent and good-looking ones, at least :D

And we also get live, FTA coverage this weekend - finally!

BulldogBelle
14-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Great read.

Still trying to work out if it is 'a bowl of soup' or 'a bar of soap':D

When and Where

(with the obvious exception of Lake who could catch a bar of soup in a waterfall).

With the slippery conditions why not rest Hudson and play Minson and Everitt in the ruck.

Mantis
14-07-2010, 02:40 PM
SO Hudson and Everitt then - 2nd time lucky.

Roughead?

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 02:44 PM
great preview mate... had to laugh...

"It will not be a night for big grabs overhead (with the obvious exception of Lake who could catch a bar of soup in a waterfall)."

"Fortunately, Cornes cannot kick over the man on the mark so he won’t hurt us going the other way."

And so on...

"Eight losses in a row says it all really. And for those of us who live in this city it is a beautiful thing indeed. Not as beautiful as it would be if it happened to the other mob, but still beautiful, nevertheless."

Couldn't agree more.

With all the adelaide woofers its going to be crowded in the Little Pub on Saturday night.

Ozza
14-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Good preview EJ.

I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of us going in quite small. Last year Port had Westhoff's everywhere, Tredrea Lade, Brogan, Thurstons and Pettigrew all out there and looked very very unsuited to the conditions.

Agree with other Woofers on Picken. Pearce is easy pickings for Liam! Rodan is of course very dangerous - but I'm sure Boyd and Crossy will be watchful of him at the stoppages.

I always feel like we can account for Port easily - no matter where it is or what the team is - we just belt them.

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I must admit to some dismay that we are delaying till tomorrow to fly up there.

I would have thought we would have gone earlier in the week to aclimatise.

Nine degrees to 35 is a big change.

BulldogBelle
14-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Roughead?

Why not.

Just thought in the greasy conditions it might be better to have one dedicated ruck and Everitt or even Williams to help out.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Why not.

Just thought in the greasy conditions it might be better to have one dedicated ruck and Everitt or even Williams to help out.

I agree, although Roughead has done no wrong Everitt will be much better suited and if he doesn't get a go this week I feel he may not get another chance.

stefoid
15-07-2010, 10:10 AM
If hudson or minson go down long term before the finals, which player of Everitt/roughhead do we want to be ready (as possible) to take their spot?

Thats the player we should be playing just now.

Mofra
15-07-2010, 01:13 PM
If hudson or minson go down long term before the finals, which player of Everitt/roughhead do we want to be ready (as possible) to take their spot?
Roughead easily. Bigger, stronger, can take a mark when pushed forward and has a defined role in the team.
Everitt sure has gotten a huge amount of mileage over one game against Collingwood in 2009.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Everitt sure has gotten a huge amount of mileage over one game against Collingwood in 2009.

He has, but with reason.

He put in a good performance that day, and demonstrated that if matched against another 'part timer' he can do the job. His ruck work is obviously not going to be a feature like Roughead but Everitt can bring added running power and is another with good ball use.

Given that he doesn't have a clearly defined role, at times I think it can just be a good opportunity for him to get a run and gather some ball at senior level - as well as perhaps demonstrate some qualities that could see him become a permanent fixture in another spot.

Roughead is also a good option for us, and another who I see the benefits of senior opportunity, and also mixing his time between ruck and forward line duties.

It's a thin line to tread, because at this stage we probably don't want to play both along with Grant and Williams as it just means we have a lot of inexperienced, young talls on the park at one time.

Good discussion - I've managed to talk myself around in a circle. :o

Mofra
15-07-2010, 02:47 PM
He has, but with reason.

He put in a good performance that day, and demonstrated that if matched against another 'part timer' he can do the job. His ruck work is obviously not going to be a feature like Roughead but Everitt can bring added running power and is another with good ball use.
Georgiadis only played a couple of games after his 8-goal haul too ;)

I'm not convinced Everitt would have been selected for the role if a fit, 19 year old Roughead was available last year anyway.

Given that he doesn't have a clearly defined role, at times I think it can just be a good opportunity for him to get a run and gather some ball at senior level - as well as perhaps demonstrate some qualities that could see him become a permanent fixture in another spot.
If it's not going to be his long term postion I'm not sure if it helps his development as much as it hurts the development of Roughead.
I'm more a fan of Everitt making a position his own, rather than the coach moulding the team around a fringe player.

Roughead is also a good option for us, and another who I see the benefits of senior opportunity, and also mixing his time between ruck and forward line duties.

It's a thin line to tread, because at this stage we probably don't want to play both along with Grant and Williams as it just means we have a lot of inexperienced, young talls on the park at one time.
Grant is earning his spot on merit regardless of age (arguably our second most important forward now), and Williams has perfromed well enough to hold his spot too this year.

The only issue I see this weekend is whoever we push forward as the resting ruckman, they will cop Carlisle or Chaplin who are both excellent tall defenders and I wouldn't expect either Roughead or Everitt to beat them. Roughead can at least direct the ball to advantage with his bulk though.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 03:54 PM
I like this bit: "Sure ball handling, speed and precision passing will be important. Eagleton is a chance and would be useful up there. How do I know? Mantis told me". :D

Glad you're getting the game free to air in Adelaide EJ Smith. We were there last weekend & were not happy that the West Coast V Adelaide game was on both Foxtel & free to air, leaving us nowhere to watch the Geelong V Hawthorn game, if we'd wanted to that is. ;)

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Glad you're getting the game free to air in Adelaide EJ Smith. We were there last weekend & were not happy that the West Coast V Adelaide game was on both Foxtel & free to air, leaving us nowhere to watch the Geelong V Hawthorn game, if we'd wanted to that is. ;)

It has happened a number of times this year - none more ridiculous than Round 1 when we played Collingwood in clearly the biggest game of the year and both channels showed the Port v North Melb game

Go_Dogs
15-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm not convinced Everitt would have been selected for the role if a fit, 19 year old Roughead was available last year anyway.

I think that's definitely a fair enough scenario.

As much as we need to manage Hudson, with Minson out now, we are going to have to be mindful of Roughead too as he's going to be required for a few more matches once Will's back.

We know Roughy copped a bit of a knock to his shoulder earlier in the year, and has a bit of a history - so we need to balance the need to get games into him with the need to keep his body right for the long term.

I'm more a fan of Everitt making a position his own, rather than the coach moulding the team around a fringe player.

Of course that's ideal - but not always an easy task. Projecting where his best AFL spot might be from VFL form isn't always a 100% reliable indicator (I think especially with Everitt and utility types - think Brennan and Goddard).

Previously we've brought players into the side before who haven't been tearing the house down at VFL level who have gone alright at AFL level. If he'll make it is still to be determined, but extended opportunity is the only way to know for sure.

Grant is earning his spot on merit regardless of age (arguably our second most important forward now), and Williams has perfromed well enough to hold his spot too this year.

The only issue I see this weekend is whoever we push forward as the resting ruckman, they will cop Carlisle or Chaplin who are both excellent tall defenders and I wouldn't expect either Roughead or Everitt to beat them. Roughead can at least direct the ball to advantage with his bulk though.

Agree on both Grant and Williams, they're earning their spots - but they are still a fair way off being good->great, consistent AFL players. Playing a couple more tall kids in the same boat might hurt our run.

Good point about Port's defence, although I think with Chad out we can stretch them a little. Perhaps an inexperienced Salter or Stewart might get the resting ruck.

I think Roughead can certainly become a good marking option in the forward line, but I still think he needs a bit more upper body strength. He's got the frame to develop it, and long term I think he'll be pretty dangerous down there. He has snared a few good, contested grabs in his games so far, but still tends to go with one hand a bit in contested situations. The goal he kicked on the weekend was a result of drifting forward into a hole in the zone while playing in the ruck - which is something I think he can be useful at.

Mofra
15-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I think Roughead can certainly become a good marking option in the forward line, but I still think he needs a bit more upper body strength. He's got the frame to develop it, and long term I think he'll be pretty dangerous down there. He has snared a few good, contested grabs in his games so far, but still tends to go with one hand a bit in contested situations. The goal he kicked on the weekend was a result of drifting forward into a hole in the zone while playing in the ruck - which is something I think he can be useful at.
His lack of strength (time in the system) is noticeable at throw ins - he can get monstored at times, as you'd expect of a 19 year old who is still developing his core strength.
He times his leap at the ball pretty well so can be a factor in the forward 50, although I don't think Darwin will suit him.

mjp
15-07-2010, 06:02 PM
We were there last weekend & were not happy that the West Coast V Adelaide game was on both Foxtel & free to air, leaving us nowhere to watch the Geelong V Hawthorn game, if we'd wanted to that is. ;)

Welcome to footy on tv outside of Victoria...happens ALL the time.

Whenever a Dogs game is scheduled at the same time as a West Coast or Freo fixture I resign myself to being stuck with a replay.

The Coon Dog
15-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Welcome to footy on tv outside of Victoria...happens ALL the time.

Whenever a Dogs game is scheduled at the same time as a West Coast or Freo fixture I resign myself to being stuck with a replay.

In that situation Mike, do you get score updates or have a media blackout until the replay is on?

Doc26
16-07-2010, 12:08 AM

But no more mileage than what Tom Williams has been afforded over a game against Hawthorn.

Is not a slight against Tom, to the contrary, but I have found it a bit disappointing we can only make room for one project player.

Ghost Dog
16-07-2010, 08:07 AM
But no more mileage than what Tom Williams has been afforded over a game against Hawthorn.

Is not a slight against Tom, to the contrary, but I have found it a bit disappointing we can only make room for one project player.

Agreed. I was really happy to see Everitt's inclusion. hope he has a blinder.

Mofra
16-07-2010, 10:17 AM

There is a major difference - Williams was earmarked as CHB, played CHB that day and has performed well enough in that role this year (kicking efficiency over 80% this year too).
Everitt was played out of position and does not look like a long term no 2 ruckman (TBH I rate his delivery highly and would love to see him delivering the ball inside 50).

Mofra
16-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Noticed Schultz is included at CHF for Port. If he plays there, do we send Lake to him or do we give Tommy a crakc at him and leave Lake as the general at FB or to push forward for a tall option? Carlisle is out for Port, and he is a good tall backman (big loss for them).

Desipura
16-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Boak is out of the team as well.

The Coon Dog
16-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Scott Harding replaces him.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/98321/default.aspx)

Doc26
16-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the update Desipura / Coon Dog - hadn't heard of Travis being out. Is a very nice bonus to us considering their limited talent pool of which he is one.

Mofra
16-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Boak is a gun - this really helps our chances

Ozza
16-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Noticed Schultz is included at CHF for Port. If he plays there, do we send Lake to him or do we give Tommy a crakc at him and leave Lake as the general at FB or to push forward for a tall option? Carlisle is out for Port, and he is a good tall backman (big loss for them).

Shultz usually plays deep - I'd say he is the perfect player for Brian to play on and get a hold of the other way. Brian will have a picnic against Shultz if he stays close to goal.

mjp
16-07-2010, 04:30 PM
In that situation Mike, do you get score updates or have a media blackout until the replay is on?

Depends when the replay is scheduled. If it is soon after the game, I wait. If it is not until late that night or - worse case - later in the week, I follow on radio usually via the AFL website links.

Basically, there is one game a week I want to watch. I pay a Foxtel subscription SOLELY so I can watch the Bulldogs. It annoys me know end that the AFL allow this to go on.

I have sooked about this before, but it is not a Foxtel problem- it is an AFL problem as they allow the FTA channels to re-broadcast the Foxtel game.

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Depends when the replay is scheduled. If it is soon after the game, I wait. If it is not until late that night or - worse case - later in the week, I follow on radio usually via the AFL website links.

Basically, there is one game a week I want to watch. I pay a Foxtel subscription SOLELY so I can watch the Bulldogs. It annoys me know end that the AFL allow this to go on.

I have sooked about this before, but it is not a Foxtel problem- it is an AFL problem as they allow the FTA channels to re-broadcast the Foxtel game.

With ya brother, I am the same with fox, I get pretty angsty when I still cant watch the match live.

LongWait
17-07-2010, 10:22 AM

So Foxtel don't broadcast the game on Fox Sports X (the Main Event channel)?

Here in Queensland, Austar broadcast last night's Geelong Adelaide game live on 518 (Main Event channel) because 7 were not televising it until ridiculously late.

Austar/Foxtel also broadcast some games on Fox Sport 1 and simultaneously broadcast another game on 518 if that second game is supposed to be live on free to air but is delayed in Queensland. We rarely miss seeing any game live.

w3design
17-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I think we should be able to get up easily here. Hall out but they have Carlisle out so that negates that.

Boak out which robs them of one of their better ball winners.

Dogs by 30+

LongWait
17-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Further to my previous post - it's Saturday afternoon and Ten and Fox Sport 1 are both televising the Brisbane Hawthorn game live. Main Event channel are broadcasting Collingwood St Kilda live.

mjp
17-07-2010, 07:12 PM
So Foxtel don't broadcast the game on Fox Sports X (the Main Event channel)?

Here in Queensland, Austar broadcast last night's Geelong Adelaide game live on 518 (Main Event channel) because 7 were not televising it until ridiculously late.

Austar/Foxtel also broadcast some games on Fox Sport 1 and simultaneously broadcast another game on 518 if that second game is supposed to be live on free to air but is delayed in Queensland. We rarely miss seeing any game live.

Nope.

Queensland and NSW viewers benefit from the non-AFL states rule...WA and SA don't. Anytime Foxtel have the West Coast or Freo game (Perth) or Cows/Power game (Adelaide) the 'other' game will not be broadcast...both Fox and the local carrier (7 or 10) will show the same game at the same time with the same commentators/vision etc etc.