PDA

View Full Version : Lady Umpires

soupman
14-07-2010, 08:56 PM
I notice in todays Herald Sun our very own Susan Alberti is supportive of introducing female umpires to AFL level in some larger capacity. I am interested to hear other's opinions on the matter.

Personally I would be completely accepting of female umpires in the AFL, on the provision that they are selected at that level because they deserve to be and not because they are the token female.

According to others radio listening ability there were actually a few opponents of this, for two major reasons:

1. Female umpires won't be able to handle the abuse that supporters will hurl at them, possibly because they are more mentally fragile.

2. As the role that is being suggested for them is as boundary umpires, there is an argument that the running involved is too much in terms of quantity and pace. As in, the times required of boundary umpires to run are close to those required of female Commonwealth games athletes and thus those candidates for the position would be better spending their time and efforts on a running position.

The only point I found which I disagreed with was Susan Alberti's statement that females have superior intuition in terms of being able to read behaviour and tell if someone is diving as an example. I think this is something which varies person to person regardless of gender, and isn't particularly prevalent in either males or females, at least not in a sporting adjudicating sense.

So what are your thoughts? Is it worth doing? Would it improve the game? Would female umpires have an advantage through their "intuition"? Would they be too intimidated?

Go_Dogs
14-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Susan was on radio in Adelaide tonight talking about this issue.

I think she spoke very well and I think the idea certainly has its merits. I feel it's something that is bound to occur, but also something I would throw my support behind.

AndrewP6
14-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I don't necessarily think it needs to happen, or that it should. Whoever is out there should be there because of their ability to do the job. I do agree with the arguments that some may not deal with the abuse/criticism, and that the physical demands may be excessive.

The Coon Dog
14-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Best person for the job, regardless of what sex they are.

boydogs
15-07-2010, 12:06 AM
You would think that any issues with copping abuse & fitness would be sorted out in the lower ranks. If they can do the job, go for it

chef
15-07-2010, 06:48 AM

Same here.

BulldogBelle
15-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Same here.

And again.

As long as they can do it l do't think it matters as long as they are one of the best at it.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Females are already represented in the Goal Umpiring squad. That proves without a doubt that if one was good enough to be a field or boundary umpire, they would get in.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 10:00 AM
If the women have earned their "stripes" through the various levels of training and experience, then why not. Women are not wanting to play football against the men even though there are 85,000 playing AFL around the country. These women should be encouraged to continue to play AFL if they enjoy doing so. We already have female umpires in the lower divisions who are willing and able to study and train for senior position in the AFL . It is always about the best person for the job!
________
YAMAHA MOTIF SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Motif)

Greystache
15-07-2010, 10:01 AM
If they are up to the job I'd have no problem with it. I can't see it happening myself, particularly boundary umpiring. I have a couple of mates who umpired in the VFL who are elite runners and they didn't make it into the AFL because they weren't quite up to the standard required. A woman to make the grade would have to be close to an Olympic standard runner to fit the current requirements, unless they lower the entrance requirements for females and that would make a mockery of the argument that they are as good as the men.

I also think the argument the AFL "needs" female umpires is rediculous.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 10:14 AM
If the women have earned their "stripes" through the various levels of training and experience, then why not. Women are not wanting to play football against the men even though there are 85,000 playing AFL around the country. These women should be encouraged to continue to play AFL if they enjoy doing so. We already have female umpires in the lower divisions who are willing and able to study and train for senior position in the AFL . It is always about the best person for the job!

I would have to dispute this figure. That's an awful lot of players.

Is this registered players or simply the number have a kick in a park?

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 11:22 AM
I suggest for those interested in females playing AFL football go to the Victorian Womens Football League website for a start and just see for themselves the activity by female players. The other females around the country are serious about their involvement with AFL football. More and more girls are playing the sport at Schools than ever before.
________
VAPORITE SOLO (http://www.vaporshop.com/solo-vaporizer.html)

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Diversity is always a good thing. I think the move should be encouraged and supported as long as each individual meets the requirements.

Mofra
15-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Yep. Fitness requirements will be tough to meet though; for all the abuse of umpires, the fitness test they do is something I wouldn't expect more than 1-2% of the population could meet.
The military have different fitness tests for men & women, I'm not sure given the demands of top-level football the AFL would do the same.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Perhaps the AFL can use rotation of umpires during the game, just like the players. Most of the players never play a full game any more. Maybe the umpires may like to consider rotating, thus preventing fatigue setting in, which in turn may prevent them from making incorrect decisions.
________
300 (1963) (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_300_(1963))

Mantis
15-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Perhaps the AFL can use rotation of umpires during the game, just like the players. Most of the players never play a full game any more. Maybe the umpires may like to consider rotating, thus preventing fatigue setting in, which in turn may prevent them from making incorrect decisions.

Wouldn't this make it even harder to know by name which ump to abuse? :D

Desipura
15-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Could be some interesting abuse towards the umpires.

soupman
15-07-2010, 03:33 PM

I believe for the boundary umpires this has changed somewhat. There now appears to be 3 boundary umpires on the field, rotating with another off the bench. There is certainly merit to making it 4 boundary umpires, and hopefully this would reduce the physical demands to make it a more accessible position for any candidate, both male or female.

The Coon Dog
15-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I believe for the boundary umpires this has changed somewhat. There now appears to be 3 boundary umpires on the field, rotating with another off the bench. There is certainly merit to making it 4 boundary umpires, and hopefully this would reduce the physical demands to make it a more accessible position for any candidate, both male or female.

I can't quite get my head around 3 boundary umpires soupaman.

Two I can get, four I can get, but not three.

How are they positioned on the ground? It would have to be two on one side on the ground & the third on the other. Just doesn't seem right somehow. :confused:

aker39
15-07-2010, 04:54 PM

How are they positioned on the ground? It would have to be two on one side on the ground & the third on the other. Just doesn't seem right somehow. :confused:

There are currently 4 boundary umpires in every AFL game.

At VFL level there are 3. There are only 2 umpires on the ground at any time. 1 umpire does one side of the ground for a full quarter, while the other side of the ground is shared between the other 2. They then rotate each quarter, taking it in turns of doing the whole quarter.

Ghost Dog
15-07-2010, 08:18 PM
1. Female umpires won't be able to handle the abuse that supporters will hurl at them, possibly because they are more mentally fragile.

So what are your thoughts? Is it worth doing? Would it improve the game? Would female umpires have an advantage through their "intuition"? Would they be too intimidated?

Well, Susan isn't mentally fragile! Just ask Channel 9's Bank account and Sam Newman's ego.

Agreed, not sure about the intuition thing. But on the whole, there should be no barriers to females as umpires. If they can be police they can be umpires.;)

Imagine all the young girls that will be more into AFL as a result? If some top female umpire visited a primary school, the kids would be over the moon.
Good for everyone.

AndrewP6
15-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Well, Susan isn't mentally fragile! Just ask Channel 9's Bank account and Sam Newman's ego.

Agreed, not sure about the intuition thing. But on the whole, there should be no barriers to females as umpires. If they can be police they can be umpires.;)

Imagine all the young girls that will be more into AFL as a result? If some top female umpire visited a primary school, the kids would be over the moon.
Good for everyone.

I doubt they'd know who she was...same for male umps. They're nameless faces for kids - they don't wear the umps names on their shirts.

soupman
15-07-2010, 10:14 PM

I had the right idea. The side with 2 just split it 50-50. Evidently I was just one umpire short.

Scraggers
16-07-2010, 12:48 AM

Agree with both these posts ... I don't think it matters what gender as long as it is the best person doing the job.

Ghost Dog
16-07-2010, 07:02 AM
I doubt they'd know who she was...same for male umps. They're nameless faces for kids - they don't wear the umps names on their shirts.

Just show them a bit of footage. Being a teacher, I know kids are really interested in the working lives of adults. Believe me, they would be very curious.

ledge
16-07-2010, 09:56 AM

They dont wear the players names on their jumpers either.

AndrewP6
16-07-2010, 09:28 PM

They dont wear the players names on their jumpers either.

No, that's true... but I honestly can't think of any kid at my school being excited over a visit from an umpire. We had two Demons players last year (we're right near Casey Fields) and hardly anyone knew them. I can't see that changing for the whistleblowers.

AndrewP6
16-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Just show them a bit of footage. Being a teacher, I know kids are really interested in the working lives of adults. Believe me, they would be very curious.

Fair enough, I'm pretty sure not many of the kids I teach would care too much.