PDA

View Full Version : Jason Akermanis back in the doghouse

BulldogBelle
15-07-2010, 07:57 AM
* Stephen Rielly
* July 15, 2010 12:00AM

JASON Akermanis is back in exile, banished for what the Western Bulldogs believe was the disclosure of in-house information which made its way on to last week's edition of The Footy Show.

While Dogs coach Rodney Eade and other officials would not elaborate yesterday on the reasons why Akermanis will spend at least another week in the VFL, his third, it is understood that the club has accused him of being behind a critical rant from Sam Newman on last week's program. Newman questioned Bulldog midfielder Adam Cooney, who was a panellist on the show, about details of private meetings Akermanis had with his teammates before he was suspended in early June for misleading the club over the extent of his authorship of a contentious newspaper column about homosexuality in the game.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/jason-akermanis-back-in-the-doghouse/story-e6frg7mf-1225891839482

chef
15-07-2010, 08:01 AM
:mad:When is it going to end.

BulldogBelle
15-07-2010, 08:09 AM
:mad:When is it going to end.

l don't think Aker will ever learn. It's all about HIM.

GVGjr
15-07-2010, 08:16 AM
He's very good at using the media to push his own agenda. This time however, the club has called his bluff and basically said that unless the content of discussions stay in house he will get more time at Williamstown.
He's very much part of the plans but still has some things he needs to fix.

Ghost Dog
15-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Are we really sure that it is about the Footy show thing?
Can anyone confirm this?

I must admit, I really admire the patience that Rocket shows and his media 'face' throughout all this.

The Coon Dog
15-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Akermanis, Bulldogs clash again

Peter Hanlon - The Age - 15 July

THE turbulent relationship between Jason Akermanis and the Western Bulldogs shows no signs of abating, with the Brownlow medallist's anticipated recall to the senior team believed to have been stalled by a breach of confidence that has again put player and club at odds.

Coach Rodney Eade said yesterday he had been pleased with Akermanis's form and workrate in two games while serving a club-imposed sanction with Williamstown, but there were ''a couple of things that he just needs to work on'' which would stay between him and Akermanis.

Eade cautioned that they were ''not issues, just some things that need tweaking''. He would not stipulate whether the tweaks were needed on or off-field.

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/akermanis-bulldogs-clash-again-20100714-10b31.html)

Are we really sure that it is about the Footy show thing?
Can anyone confirm this?

This part of the article in pertinent I think:

'Concerns over the latter would not have been eased by a rant from Sam Newman on The Footy Show last week, in which he criticised the manner in which Akermanis was made to front the playing group last month. Newman called on Adam Cooney - a panellist - to defend the players' questioning of their teammate's conduct.'

Ghost Dog
15-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't like to jump to conclusions about things.
Maybe it is the footy show incident + 'dribbler' comments.
Anyway, anyone close to the club can / able to comment here?
, or assume that the article is correct in how it paints the picture.

Ghost Dog
15-07-2010, 09:11 AM
This time however, the club has called his bluff and basically said that unless the content of discussions stay in house he will get more time at Williamstown.

I am assuming then that this is correct.
If it's the case I am glad the club is taking a strong stance and if Jason really thought about it he would see it as being an on going learning process that might do him a bit of good.

Desipura
15-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Aker is really putting pressure on the club to pick him by saying words to the effect "Im frustrated, I will be looking to play next week".
"If you play very well you will get picked Aker, not just because you are Aker."
I feel like he is holding the club to ransom. If he does not get picked next week, this could potentially explode.

comrade
15-07-2010, 09:26 AM
If the article is correct and Rocket is unhappy about the Footy Show thing and believes Aker's blabbed again, shouldn't that be kept in house and sorted out discreetly. Too much rubbish is leaking out of the Club and the fact that this spat is so public is a terrible look.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 10:23 AM
ARGH. I just want this saga to be over with. It is distractions like this that cost teams.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Just wait till he's no longer trying to get a game...

Like others, I want to see him back, in form, for finals, as he could be an important player, and at his best, he certainly is that. The fact that there are still issues moving forwards from this point isn't good, and I for one think he may struggle to get back.

Ozza
15-07-2010, 10:42 AM
If the article is correct and Rocket is unhappy about the Footy Show thing and believes Aker's blabbed again, shouldn't that be kept in house and sorted out discreetly. Too much rubbish is leaking out of the Club and the fact that this spat is so public is a terrible look.

I think the club has tried to sort it out discreetly by the looks of it. All the club has done is not pick him and conclusions have been drawn as a result.

Ghost Dog
15-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Just wait till he's no longer trying to get a game...

Like others, I want to see him back, in form, for finals, as he could be an important player, .

Agreed, could be important; don't agree with some like Hird (link) (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,27400132-23209,00.html) that we can't win a final without him.

While being unsympathetic, Aker is copping some unfair bumps from the media. Example, Foxsports article above. Bit of creative license in that article.

Ah well, being bitten by the hand that feeds him. :D

Greystache
15-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm concerned how much more this could blow up if Aker's not selected soon, I agree with the above he's effectively holding the club to ransom. Akers first priority is always Aker and what he wants at the current moment, he will do whatever he needs to do to get what he wants and doesn't consider the repecussions for others or even himself in the medium to long term, that's a dangerous formula for a high profile player who is out of favour.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 12:17 PM
We knew what we were getting when we recruited Aker. High value - high risk

We have had, in the main, an excellent return on our investment.

As of now, if he does the right thing, he plays. If he doesn't do the right thing he either stays at Willi or takes off. It's up to him.

Whatever path this takes, the Western Bulldogs will continue to move forward.

As somebody else once said, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"

Mantis
15-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Anne Wright

UPDATE 10.54am: BULLDOGS star Jason Akermanis has responded to accusations that he leaked inside information to Sam Newman

'.....Akermanis - speaking on radio station MTR this morning - said that he did not prompt the outburst.

“I can’t control Sam. He’s a very good friend of mine," Akermanis said.

“Sam and I have been friends for many, many years and we have spoken about lots of stuff and he’s never talked about most of that stuff outside of our conversations.”

Akermanis spoke of his disappointment at not making the Bulldogs team to play Port Adelaide, but said the reasons behind the match committee’s decision were between him and the club.

“Yes I’m frustrated absolutely,” he said.

“I’ve gotta keep that between us, the match committee and myself, as to why I’m not playing. Then I go and hopefully play another good game in the twos.”

“Can I just say that I go out into the cold and I train and I work hard and then I go and play my two games at Williamstown, done everything that they have asked me to do and then don’t pick it. I can’t really say why I’m not in the team."

Akermanis said it wasn’t just the cheer squad who had called for his inclusion back into the team and several other footballers had also said they wanted him back.

“None of the cheer squad members or players pick the side,” he said.'

Full article (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jason-akermanis-back-in-the-doghouse/story-e6frf9jf-1225892021877)

Sedat
15-07-2010, 01:38 PM
We knew what we were getting when we recruited Aker. High value - high risk

We have had, in the main, an excellent return on our investment.

As of now, if he does the right thing, he plays. If he doesn't do the right thing he either stays at Willi or takes off. It's up to him.

Whatever path this takes, the Western Bulldogs will continue to move forward.

As somebody else once said, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"
Could not have put it better myself. Aker'10 is not Aker'03 or ever Aker'08 for that matter. He is an ageing footballer who has lost a yard of his precious commodity, pace, and while he still possesses a sharp brain and excellent decision making he has naturally slipped down the pecking order of players picked for us. If he can't understand this, he really is delusional. Rocket has openly stated he is in our best 22 when fully fit and firing, so he just needs to keep doing what he's doing on the track and for Willy and he'll be back in the senior team at the business end of the season.

He runs the risk of devaluing his media brand by his self-inflicted over-exposure. It's a little sad to see - all he needs to do is pull back for a couple of months, dedicate himself solely to the task at hand on the field and his career could end with a glorious finale. His post footbal career would then be worth a fortune.

Ghost Dog
15-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm concerned how much more this could blow up if Aker's not selected soon, I agree with the above he's effectively holding the club to ransom. Akers first priority is always Aker and what he wants at the current moment, he will do whatever he needs to do to get what he wants and doesn't consider the repecussions for others or even himself in the medium to long term, that's a dangerous formula for a high profile player who is out of favour.

It's pretty poor form isn't it, to come out and whinge about the MC's selections as an individual player on the airwaves.

Cyberdoggie
15-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Some of the comments Aker has made in that article seem a little bizarre.

The general tone is that it's all about him, and not the team.

for example: “Can I just say that I go out into the cold and I train and I work hard and then I go and play my two games at Williamstown, done everything that they have asked me to do and then don’t pick it. I can’t really say why I’m not in the team."

Sounds a bit bitter and self-centered to me. He could of just said, "I'll keep trying my best and working hard and will hopefully get back soon to help out the team for the rest of the season".

If any other player on the fringes said what he said they certainly wouldn't be very popular. Imagine if Everitt or Tim Callan had said that, they have just as much a reason if not more than Aker to be dissapointed that they aren't in the side, but it wouldn't be acceptable for them to complain about it publicly, I don't know why Aker thinks he can.

I get the feeling it would take a major turn around in attitude from Aker for him to play another game.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 02:38 PM
TBH, it's lucky the bloke can/could play football because he'd have been bashed every second month or so in real life down the pub.

He's a grown man and can't keep his mouth shut. He's served a purpose for us prior to this season (with a couple of minor hiccups), but he's now almost beyond redemption.

Aker is a mouthy twat.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I think the club is starting to bitch about everything now. Sooner or later Aker will just give it away.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 03:14 PM
That is horrible journalism. As a journalism student I'm appalled. There is no attribution to validate that the Bulldogs are angry about Akermanis allegedly leaking information to Sam Newman. It hasn't even come from a source. Is this supposed to be some opinion piece? I'm confused!

There aren't any quotes from the Western Bulldogs stating that they are upset about Akermanis talking to people outside the club.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Could not have put it better myself. Aker'10 is not Aker'03 or ever Aker'08 for that matter. He is an ageing footballer who has lost a yard of his precious commodity, pace, and while he still possesses a sharp brain and excellent decision making he has naturally slipped down the pecking order of players picked for us. If he can't understand this, he really is delusional. Rocket has openly stated he is in our best 22 when fully fit and firing, so he just needs to keep doing what he's doing on the track and for Willy and he'll be back in the senior team at the business end of the season.

He runs the risk of devaluing his media brand by his self-inflicted over-exposure. It's a little sad to see - all he needs to do is pull back for a couple of months, dedicate himself solely to the task at hand on the field and his career could end with a glorious finale. His post footbal career would then be worth a fortune.

This is a hiccup that the Club didn't need at such an important time of the year. The fault may well have lay in deciding to renew Aker's contract when he himself was uncertain about committing to another year. There was always going to be some danger in going into 2010 with ageing bodies in Johnson, Eagleton, Hall and Akermanis. On reflection only Hall has played to an acceptable level from this group of players.When you add the poor form of Hahn to the mix you begin to wonder whether our List Management staff have got it right.

angelopetraglia
15-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm already worried what he is going to say when he actually leaves?

I actually don't mind him, but he really has no idea about the consquences of what he says, or he does and just doesn't care.
'

Curly5
15-07-2010, 06:53 PM
That is horrible journalism. As a journalism student I'm appalled. There is no attribution to validate that the Bulldogs are angry about Akermanis allegedly leaking information to Sam Newman. It hasn't even come from a source. Is this supposed to be some opinion piece? I'm confused!

There aren't any quotes from the Western Bulldogs stating that they are upset about Akermanis talking to people outside the club.

Why spoil a good story with facts? :mad:

Ok, so Aker gets picked for, say, the Freo game. What happens if he has a stinker? I'd love to see him back in the team, playing the way we know he can/could, but there's no guarantee he'll be back to his brilliant best. He could easily get dropped again. So when he does get back, he has to give himself every chance, and that includes a muzzle.

mighty_west
15-07-2010, 06:54 PM
This is a hiccup that the Club didn't need at such an important time of the year. The fault may well have lay in deciding to renew Aker's contract when he himself was uncertain about committing to another year. There was always going to be some danger in going into 2010 with ageing bodies in Johnson, Eagleton, Hall and Akermanis. On reflection only Hall has played to an acceptable level from this group of players.When you add the poor form of Hahn to the mix you begin to wonder whether our List Management staff have got it right.

There is always a fine line between going with the same group that fell oh so short, with that added tall forward, and see what happens, or dishing off a few older players, and perhaps taking one step back.

We know how durable Johnno has been, it's unfortunate that he has struggled this season with injury, perhaps missing so much footy, this could be a real positive towards the business end of the season.

azabob
15-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I think the club is starting to bitch about everything now. Sooner or later Aker will just give it away.

Im a bit confused with your 2 post's above.

In one post your are having a go at the club but in the next post your are defending the club.

Did you read the article before posting?

The Pie Man
15-07-2010, 08:29 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/i-betrayed-jason-akermanis-sam-newman/story-e6frf9jf-1225892325283

EXCLUSIVE: FOOTY Show star Sam Newman has confessed to betraying Jason Akermanis's trust by revealing details of an in-house club meeting on the top-rating show.
Newman today admitted to overhearing a conversation between Akermanis and radio host Steve Price during a lunch at a Chinese restaurant in Richmond last month.

chef
15-07-2010, 09:28 PM
It's never going to end.

The Boy From Brasil
15-07-2010, 09:41 PM
It's never going to end.

It's going to be a long 11 or so weeks until the end of the season isn't it?

chef
15-07-2010, 09:45 PM
It's going to be a long 11 or so weeks until the end of the season isn't it?

Yep. This should be kept behind closed doors.

LostDoggy
15-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Yep. This should be kept behind closed doors.

Does Aker allow it to be kept behind closed doors though?

He has such a media presence that every little thing that happens in his life is put under the microscope, by everyone in media world. The club would probably love to keep things in house, but it gets hard when Aker is on radio everyday & is constantly asked questions. Like people have said in the thread, he pushes his own agenda & has done so for years. With him constantly doing this, it puts the club under pressure & they're obliged to respond on behalf of sponsors & members.

anfo27
15-07-2010, 11:46 PM
I think eveybody is overreacting to this whole Aker fiasco. He has a radio show, gets asked questions and he answers them. To say he is disappointed because he didn't get picked is that a big deal? if every player had a radio show and didn't make the side would they say anything different? At the end of the day the club signed off on Aker having a radio career.

I would think every player has close friends that they tell things to about team meetings and the like. It reminds me of the cotton dockers Seinfeld episode when Jerry tells his friends that his gf loves that stupid cotton dockers commercial. Then when Kramer meets her for the first time he calls her the cotton dockers girl. Upset, she turns to Jerry and says 'did you have to tell your friends' and Jerry replied 'yes i did but my friends didn't have to tell you'.

He should be in trouble for it being made public but lets be honest, every single player in that meeting would have went away and told someone what had taken place. Aker is just guilty of telling someone that couldn't keep it to themselves.

AndrewP6
16-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I think eveybody is overreacting to this whole Aker fiasco. He has a radio show, gets asked questions and he answers them. To say he is disappointed because he didn't get picked is that a big deal? if every player had a radio show and didn't make the side would they say anything different? At the end of the day the club signed off on Aker having a radio career.

I would think every player has close friends that they tell things to about team meetings and the like. It reminds me of the cotton dockers Seinfeld episode when Jerry tells his friends that his gf loves that stupid cotton dockers commercial. Then when Kramer meets her for the first time he calls her the cotton dockers girl. Upset, she turns to Jerry and says 'did you have to tell your friends' and Jerry replied 'yes i did but my friends didn't have to tell you'.

He should be in trouble for it being made public but lets be honest, every single player in that meeting would have went away and told someone what had taken place. Aker is just guilty of telling someone that couldn't keep it to themselves.

Well said...

Ghost Dog
16-07-2010, 08:04 AM

Nice post. Some good points.

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't see, "Jason Akermanis should be in the side", I see #21 for the bulldogs is fighting for a spot in the side. For whatever reason he was injured or dropped, 'whatever'. Now he can go into the pile of players (Minsons, Rougheads, Woods, Eagletons, Hills, Stacks etc) that don't get automatic entry, they have to earn their spot.
If the Dogs want to make a run at the premiership they and the players must understand things don't get served on silver platters and they have to earn their place. I know Aker kicked 5 in the 2nds but alot of people are playing well. My advice to him is keep your head down bum up find some form and you'll be back in. Just cause you are 'Aker' does not give you the right to wear the red white and blue.
I for one hope he does come through cause people like him are gold in the finals, but if not, it'll be because the dogs have picked the BEST side at that point in time. Not just names.

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I would think every player has close friends that they tell things to about team meetings and the like. .

I think the big difference is who he's telling...Steve Price and Sam Newman have both come out to bat for Aker in recent weeks!
Two faces of a new radio station struggling for ratings. I'm not sure these guys have Akers best interests at heart! Poor judgement by Aker to say the least.

Remi Moses
16-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Good points about other players not whinging about being selected.It's sad that after 3 great seasons Aker has become bitter and now there's going to be a book!

Gotta say being on this shock jock poo radio station is not helping Jason's cause

Bulldog Revolution
16-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I think we are handling this ok

Its up to Aker to get fit, show he has something to contribute and toe the party line.

The group are asking him to step up and focus on trying to win a premiership.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I honestly do not care what Aker says. At the moment, the Bulldogs are allowing the media to dictate their team selections. I couldn't give a stuff how self-centred Akermanis is, becuase when the man is on his game he backs up all the hype he gives himself with brilliant football that sets the team alight.

I just want to win. I don't give two shits about our brand image. I want to do whatever it takes to put the best team on the field every week, play our best football, just get out there and win games. Stop bitching about who said what to whom on what channel and what so-and-so footy-journo thinks.

Look at Carlton and Essendon. They'd sell their mothers to win a football game. They've also got 16 flags apiece.

azabob
19-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I honestly do not care what Aker says. At the moment, the Bulldogs are allowing the media to dictate their team selections. I couldn't give a stuff how self-centred Akermanis is, becuase when the man is on his game he backs up all the hype he gives himself with brilliant football that sets the team alight.

I just want to win. I don't give two shits about our brand image. I want to do whatever it takes to put the best team on the field every week, play our best football, just get out there and win games. Stop bitching about who said what to whom on what channel and what so-and-so footy-journo thinks.

Look at Carlton and Essendon. They'd sell their mothers to win a football game. They've also got 16 flags apiece.

When in 2010 has Aka been on his "game"?

chef
19-07-2010, 08:07 PM

What about if he can't play like that anymore, does he need to pull his head in and not attract extras focus?

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 05:27 PM
What about if he can't play like that anymore, does he need to pull his head in and not attract extras focus?

If the club recruited him thinking he was ever going to pull his head in and keep his mouth shut they obviously didn't do their homework.

I simply don't like the media influencing our game plan. If he was not picked because he's not good enough to fill the shoes of the man he'd replace, fine. That's a great situation to have. But do you want to tell me that Everitt — who I really like, btw — offered us more on Saturday night than Aker would've?