PDA

View Full Version : Jumpers and names?

ledge
16-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Most sports now have players names on the back of their jumpers, how long before the AFL see this and do it or can the clubs do it if they want now?

I personally would love to see it, why numbers in this day and age?
Umpires call them by their names now anyway.
Commentators regularly call the wrong player.
Does the number have any real significance any more?

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 11:17 AM
I love the number thing, especially the process of handing down the numbers worn by the greats to younger generations, No "3" No "7".

No reason why they couldnt do both though.

Desipura
16-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Most sports now have players names on the back of their jumpers, how long before the AFL see this and do it or can the clubs do it if they want now?

I personally would love to see it, why numbers in this day and age?
Umpires call them by their names now anyway.
Commentators regularly call the wrong player.
Does the number have any real significance any more?

Might be difficult to have Stamatopoulos on the back of a player with a frame like Nahas. :D

ledge
16-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Might be difficult to have Stamatopoulos on the back of a player with a frame like Nahas. :D

THey manage it in soccer :D

ledge
16-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I love the number thing, especially the process of handing down the numbers worn by the greats to younger generations, No "3" No "7".

No reason why they couldnt do both though.

Yes, no reason why they cant do both as they do in soccer etc

Mofra
16-07-2010, 12:05 PM
With a major sponser, AFL logo, Number, Back sponser, jumper manufacturer, shorts sponsers, strips down the side of the shorts already, I think I'd rather be able to still see part of an AFL Uniform.

ledge
16-07-2010, 12:33 PM
So true Mofra but it surely will happen soon I would think.

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Just another way the AFL marketing Dept. can get increased jumper sales due to players retiring and fans having to buy another one.

boydogs
16-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Commentators regularly call the wrong player

I like the idea, but it won't fix the Brad Boyd & Jarryd Roughead calls ;)

The Underdog
17-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Personally I hate it as an idea, as Mofra said the jumpers are busy enough already. I don't particularly see the benefits, it would make no difference at the game and when you watch at home you've got commentary (mostly) telling you who the players are.

GVGjr
17-07-2010, 07:05 PM
With a major sponser, AFL logo, Number, Back sponser, jumper manufacturer, shorts sponsers, strips down the side of the shorts already, I think I'd rather be able to still see part of an AFL Uniform.

Agreed. It wouldn't help the supporters too much and the jumpers have enough on them already

soupman
17-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Personally I hate it as an idea, as Mofra said the jumpers are busy enough already. I don't particularly see the benefits, it would make no difference at the game and when you watch at home you've got commentary (mostly) telling you who the players are.

I agree. I love how disticntive the jumpers are with just the number and whilst names don't bother me, in the AFL I would prefer no. They'd be too hard to see anyway.

The Coon Dog
11-02-2011, 05:33 PM
AFL to make Giant concession to new club

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/02/11/1226004/052514-giants.jpg

THE AFL is set to break with more than 150 years of tradition and allow Greater Western Sydney to put players' names on the back of jumpers during next week's NAB Cup clash with Sydney Swans at Blacktown Olympic Park.

No team in VFL/AFL history has displayed player names on the team uniform but the special concession made to the Giants is designed to help fans recognise and connect with the unknown teenagers who are set to become the future stars of the new club.

NRL convert Israel Folau modelled the jumpers for The Daily Telegraph yesterday, but the club's official guernsey won't be revealed until the Giants face Sydney Swans on February 19 after an online poll to select the preferred design is decided.

Article in full...
(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-make-giant-concession-to-new-club/story-e6frf9jf-1226004343588)

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't mind this idea at all! I know the jumpers are busy already, but I like the idea of a name and number.

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't agree, numbers only for me. If you don't know the names of every player on your team, I'd suggest you go buy an AFL Record, sit down and study it and bloody well learn them!

I rarely look at the numbers, only to differentiate between two players that can sometimes look alike from a distance, such as Gilbee and Gia, or Hudson and Hooper (joking!)

ledge
11-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Another way of looking at it is why have numbers if you put names on jumpers?

boydogs
11-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I don't mind them doing that for the 2011 NAB Cup. Should be gone come the 2012 season.

Ghost Dog
11-02-2011, 06:53 PM
AFL to make Giant concession to new club

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/02/11/1226004/052514-giants.jpg

THE AFL is set to break with more than 150 years of tradition and allow Greater Western Sydney to put players' names on the back of jumpers during next week's NAB Cup clash with Sydney Swans at Blacktown Olympic Park.

No team in VFL/AFL history has displayed player names on the team uniform but the special concession made to the Giants is designed to help fans recognise and connect with the unknown teenagers who are set to become the future stars of the new club.

NRL convert Israel Folau modelled the jumpers for The Daily Telegraph yesterday, but the club's official guernsey won't be revealed until the Giants face Sydney Swans on February 19 after an online poll to select the preferred design is decided.

Article in full...
(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-make-giant-concession-to-new-club/story-e6frf9jf-1226004343588)

Oh how sweet...let's 'connect' with the GWS Jaffas.
connect? WTF

BulldogBelle
11-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Another way of looking at it is why have numbers if you put names on jumpers?

Yes, do away with numbers, they are a relic of the past. An unnecessary expense.

The numbers were possibly introduced to keep track of the players. For reporting and umpire calling etc. It was too difficult and expensive to put names on jumpers in those days. No so now. All the grounds have a TV going showing live coverage, anybody with reasonable eye-sight can see the player's names on the TV.

The main reason now for numbers appears to be so you have to buy a program.

Umpires these days know all of the players names and nicknames by sight.

For those who still like the numbers, maybe they can be made smaller. Cricketers didn't have numbers for years.

AndrewP6
11-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't mind this idea at all! I know the jumpers are busy already, but I like the idea of a name and number.

Same. Not a bad idea.

Cyberdoggie
11-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I don't agree, numbers only for me. If you don't know the names of every player on your team, I'd suggest you go buy an AFL Record, sit down and study it and bloody well learn them!

I rarely look at the numbers, only to differentiate between two players that can sometimes look alike from a distance, such as Gilbee and Gia, or Hudson and Hooper (joking!)

Same,

Easier to spot a number and associate the player than try and read a name with minuscule characters.

Why clutter the jumpers and pollute them the way other codes do?

alwaysadog
11-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Names would only embarrass most callers and supposed experts.

LostDoggy
12-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't agree, numbers only for me. If you don't know the names of every player on your team, I'd suggest you go buy an AFL Record, sit down and study it and bloody well learn them!I rarely look at the numbers, only to differentiate between two players that can sometimes look alike from a distance, such as Gilbee and Gia, or Hudson and Hooper (joking!)

I hear what you are saying BornAScragger, and I do know my players by sight, but I have to tell you that my eyesight struggles to see the play on the other side of the ground these days (old age and all that!). Therefore, I sometimes have difficulty in identifying the boys. With respect, you can't just assume that we all have 20/20 vision!

soupman
13-02-2011, 03:41 AM
I hear what you are saying BornAScragger, and I do know my players by sight, but I have to tell you that my eyesight struggles to see the play on the other side of the ground these days (old age and all that!). Therefore, I sometimes have difficulty in identifying the boys. With respect, you can't just assume that we all have 20/20 vision!

Is this meant to be an argument in favour of bringing names on jumpers in? Because surely if you can't read the numbers you'dm have no chance with the names.

* If the quoted section is just discussing the effects of old age and has no relevance to the names/numbers issues please disregard the above.

This message should be disregarded.

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Is this meant to be an argument in favour of bringing names on jumpers in? Because surely if you can't read the numbers you'dm have no chance with the names.

* If the quoted section is just discussing the effects of old age and has no relevance to the names/numbers issues please disregard the above.

I will disregard the above :D I guess old age doesn't necessarily come into it either, as I had to start wearing glasses when I was young - staring at a computer screen really plays havoc with your eyesight!

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 11:40 AM

This message should be disregarded.

I can't read Jack until it's past arms length, but I can normally tell who's who on the field.
If I need a name on a jumper I'd need it on the front as well.

Leave it as it is, we have enough advertising on the Jumper as it is so where would we fit a name? :rolleyes: