PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R16 Western Bulldogs vs Port Adelaide

BulldogBelle
16-07-2010, 12:29 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Saturday nights game at Marrara against Port Adelaide.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 38 points
BOG : Adam Cooney
Shaun Higgins to kick the first goal

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Dog by 56 points.
Grant 1st goal.
Cross BOG
Highlight is seeing Jurgen and Woofgirl kissing during the telecast! ;):D

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Dogs by 48 points
First goal: Eagleton
BOG: Cooney

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Dogs by 16
First Goal: Johno
BOG: Boyd

Scorlibo
16-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Dogs by 41
Grant 1st goal
Ward BOG

Ghost Dog
16-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Dogs by a kick
David Rodan: First goal.

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Dogs by 88 Points
First Goal: Grant

stefoid
16-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Lake to have limited game time, Williams and everitt to play back, murph to play forward?

bornadog
16-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Dogs by 75 points

First Goal Ward

BOG griffen

chef
16-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Doggies by 54 points
Everitt First Goal
Harbrow BOG

LostDoggy
16-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Dogs by 101 points
Bog: cooney
Fg: everitt

AndrewP6
16-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Surprised at some of the big margins... I'm not convinced we can kick enough to have that big a win, but I'll take anything.

Dogs by 22
BOG Griffen
First goal to Gia

boydogs
17-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Dogs by 34 points
First Goal Everitt
BOG Gilbee

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Dog's by 95 points

Boyd BOG

Grant first goal

Can't wait:)

Go_Dogs
17-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Dogs by 8 goals.
BOG Cross
First goal Griffen

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Umm, love your positive attitudes fellow woofers:

Dogs by 55 points
First goal = Higgins
BOG = Boyd

lemmon
17-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Dogs by 34
First goal- Lake
BOG- Griffen

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Dogs by 11 points.
First goal to ... i'll go with Griff.
Bryzaaaaa for BOG.

The Coon Dog
17-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Dogs by 91 points, Boyd BOG & 1st goal to Higgins.

BulldogBelle
17-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Anybody know if its live on the internet anywhere?

mighty_west
17-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Dogs by 81
first goal - Gia
BOG - Boyd

BornInDroopSt'54
17-07-2010, 07:24 PM
DOGS by 38
FIRST GOAL Griffen
BOG Cooney

Bumper Bulldogs
17-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Dogs by 74 points
Griff first goal
Boyd BOG

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Dogs by 19 points
first goal: Guido
BOG Cooney

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 09:07 PM
come on dogs fire up!

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Very disappointing start, it looks like we just expected to win. Bombing into F50 has returned to our game - without a power foward there! :confused: FFS Dogs, pull your bloody finger out or this'll get away from us...

DOG GOD
17-07-2010, 09:09 PM
we're playing like we just think the win will happen. FFS dogs play like a top 8 side.

FlightoftheCallanWards
17-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Terrible start. Brian needs to show some respect to Schultz!! Give em a rocket, Rocket..

G-Mo77
17-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Very ordinary. Not good signs so far. They're running around like they're a bunch of rockstars, showing Port no respect what so ever.

DOG GOD
17-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Terrible start. Brian needs to show some respect to Schultz!! Give em a rocket, Rocket..

The dogs need to show some respect to port and not think that the win is theirs for the taking, OTHERWISE we will all be spewing at the final siren.

ReLoad
17-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Quarter One:

Right from the dictionary:

pre·tend·er
   /prɪˈtɛndər/ Show Spelled[pri-ten-der]
–noun
1. A person who pretends, esp. for a dishonest purpose.
2. An aspirant or claimant (often fol. by to ): a pretender to the throne.
3. A person who makes unjustified or false claims, statements, etc., as about personal status, abilities, intentions, or the like: a pretender to literary genius.
4. See Western Bulldogs.

Ghost Dog
17-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Dogs look better in the 2nd quarter. Thanks Port runner! Gah, couldn't make the most of it.
VEry lucky to be in front now. Rugby style tackle typical of the hard stuff Port will bring to this.

FlightoftheCallanWards
17-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Couple of cheap goals. Hopefully gives us some momentum

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Dumb free given away by Boyd. Got to be better than that. Looks like they've get their eyes on the Dockers game already...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Wow, I know the first quarter was average, but geez some of you have gone in hard early.
Port gave the Pies a fright early on too last week.
We're doing better this quarter, have lifted our intensity, are getting our bodies in lower on contested ground balls

Ghost Dog
17-07-2010, 09:41 PM
When we start chipping it around in our back line and give away 50's its a really bad sign. Come on boys. So many free giveaways.

FlightoftheCallanWards
17-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Wow, I know the first quarter was average, but geez some of you have gone in hard early.
We're doing better this quarter, have lifted our intensity, are getting our bodies in lower on contested ground balls
Yep. Was a bit over the top myself but was disappointed with the lack of effort. Better this quarter but still some very stupid, undisciplined frees..

Flamethrower
17-07-2010, 09:42 PM
All week I have been saying that this is a danger game. Port were with the Pies for 3 quarters, and we saw how good Collingwood are today. A 1 point win will do me.

Ghost Dog
17-07-2010, 09:42 PM

Always knew Port would come out hard. Going to be very tight.
Lack of discipline from seniors is very disappointing.

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 09:44 PM
We've got to expect better if we're going to go anywhere at the pointy end of the season. Giving away pointless, dumb frees repeatedly isn't going to get it done.

ReLoad
17-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Quarter Two:

luck·y
1    /ˈlʌki/ Show Spelled[luhk-ee]
–adjective, luck·i·er, luck·i·est.
1. Having or marked by good luck; fortunate: That was my lucky day.
2. Happening fortunately: a lucky accident.
3. Bringing or foretelling good luck, or supposed to do so: a lucky penny.
4. See Western Bulldogs

G-Mo77
17-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm livid about these umpiring decisions and I'll even admit Port have had some bad ones too. All you have to do now to get a free kick is bend over and let your opponent avoid your head. 9/10 you'll get a free kick.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Still think we will run over Port as we have a huge upside to our game, Rocket will be given them plenty at 1/2 time. We need more out of Picken, Grant, Eagle and Jonno.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-07-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm livid about these umpiring decisions and I'll even admit Port have had some bad ones too. All you have to do now to get a free kick is bend over and let your opponent avoid your head. 9/10 you'll get a free kick.

agree wholeheartedly, I think both teams would be very disappointed with the umpiring tonight.

As expected facing a team with a new coach makes for a difficult contest, unless you can snuff them out early on in the game. We're going to have to up the ante in the midfield this next quarter around stoppages, and get the ball forward alot quicker, to stop Port from getting numbers back.

Ghost Dog
17-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Still think we will run over Port as we have a huge upside to our game, Rocket will be given them plenty at 1/2 time. We need more out of Picken, Grant, Eagle and Jonno.

Positives so far. Jhonno, great signs. Everitt / Eagleton / Boyd looking good.
Negatives: What the hell with all the lack of discipline? giving away frees??

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Yet another weak free kick, Cornes went down like he was shot. Umps need to be better than that.

hujsh
17-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice finish by the Eagle there.

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 10:14 PM
live ladder in the 2nd quarter shows us in the four!! :)

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 10:17 PM
terrible work in the last line gave Westhoff a chance... which he promptly messed up..

NoName
17-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Not read through this whole thread, but the umpiring tonight has been terrible.

Ghost Dog
17-07-2010, 10:20 PM
terrible work in the last line gave Westhoff a chance... which he promptly messed up..

They really had their opportunities.
Such a great ball cooney > Grant. Nice goal. Pulling away. Bury em' Dogs.

COON!

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Love Ward's grunt work...

NoName
17-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Love Ward's grunt work...

Agree, it is one of the reasons why I rate him so highly.

Ghost Dog
17-07-2010, 10:31 PM
WARD, great work. Moles contributing well.
Boyd looks absolutely gassed.

BulldogBelle
17-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Bring Kellie Underwood on. Tim Lane calls it like tennis, has no idea who half our players are, and gets the basics wrong.

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Bring Kellie Underwood on. Tim Lane calls it like tennis, has no idea who half our players are, and gets the basics wrong.

Oh the horror!! Leave her to interview the Auskickers, IMO.

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Would like to see us take the pedal off, but being only 4 goals we may have to keep going longer than I hope. Hehe gota love local footy timekeeping!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Is Ward in any trouble tribunal wise? Went in hard at the bloke with his head over the ball. Looks like he got the shoulder, but the MRP are trigger happy any time a player gets collected with his head over the pill.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Oh the horror!! Leave her to interview the Auskickers, IMO.

Well called Captain Kurtz, the horror indeed. As bad as Dim Lane is, Kellie on the mic is not an improvement.

Ghost Dog
17-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Pretty Slimy out there. reckon those gloves make a lick of difference? ^_^
How is it that Harbrow can scoop it so cleanly??? Amazing

hujsh
17-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Williams doesn't look like he wants to kick it since those two clangers earlier.

Rance Fan
17-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Everitt unfortunately hasnt done enough to maintain a spot. Been a tough night though

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Is Ward in any trouble tribunal wise? Went in hard at the bloke with his head over the ball. Looks like he got the shoulder, but the MRP are trigger happy any time a player gets collected with his head over the pill.

Nope shouldn't have a worry, hit the shoulder, but your right you never know with the MRP.

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Everitt unfortunately hasnt done enough to maintain a spot. Been a tough night though

Yea was hoping for more, but with VFL fitness what should we have expected.

firstdogonthemoon
17-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Quarter Two:

luck·y
1    /ˈlʌki/ Show Spelled[luhk-ee]
–adjective, luck·i·er, luck·i·est.
1. Having or marked by good luck; fortunate: That was my lucky day.
2. Happening fortunately: a lucky accident.
3. Bringing or foretelling good luck, or supposed to do so: a lucky penny.
4. See Western Bulldogs

Misplaced your dictionary now that things are going well?

Rance Fan
17-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Yea was hoping for more, but with VFL fitness what should we have expected.

I think conditions have made it tough. I think J Grant game was about on the same level.
Higgins and Gia up forward still doesnt seem to have hit top form. Johnno performance looked as to have improved which is a good sign.

hujsh
17-07-2010, 11:14 PM

Not been great but I can't think of any forward who played much better.

ReLoad
17-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Quarter 3.

com·pose
   /kəmˈpoʊz/ Show Spelled [kuhm-pohz] Show IPA verb, -posed, -pos·ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to make or form by combining things, parts, or elements: He composed his speech from many research notes.
2. to be or constitute a part or element of: a rich sauce composed of many ingredients.
3. to make up or form the basis of: Style composes the essence of good writing.
4. to put or dispose in proper form or order: to compose laws into a coherent system.
5. See Western Bulldogs

ReLoad
17-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Finally Quarter 4.

fin·ish
   /ˈfɪnɪʃ/ Show Spelled[fin-ish] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)
1. to bring (something) to an end or to completion; complete: to finish a novel; to finish breakfast.
2. to come to the end of (a course, period of time, etc.): to finish school.
3. to use completely (often fol. by up or off ): to finish up a can of paint; to finish off the rest of the milk.
4. to overcome completely; destroy or kill (often fol. by off ): This spray will finish off the cockroaches.
5. to complete and perfect in detail; put the final touches on (sometimes fol. by up ): He decided to finish his plan more carefully. She finished up a painting.
6. See Western Bulldogs

Ghost Dog
17-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Well done dogs!!!
Good to see all the fans up there.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-07-2010, 11:21 PM

have to agree there. I think the play that seals his fate was late in the game, tries the miracle dribble goal from the boundary, instead of centring it to Guido in the goal square.
Even if it had've come off, it's not the sort of play a guy trying to cement a place in the side should be going for.

ReLoad
17-07-2010, 11:24 PM

I dont think there is anyone who thougth our first quarter was acceptable, just trying to put it in a slightly amusing context, promise i wont do it again.

very happy the real dogs turned up after that, and all was well.

Although, like other posters on these forums i think the Darwin experiment has to end, we will only see the true cost of this when we front up next week and if fatigue plays any factor.

but for mine, i wish that had have been at home.

Ghost Dog
17-07-2010, 11:27 PM
have to agree there. I think the play that seals his fate was late in the game, tries the miracle dribble goal from the boundary, instead of centring it to Guido in the goal square.
Even if it had've come off, it's not the sort of play a guy trying to cement a place in the side should be going for.

But at least if we play these young blokes now and then, we get to see that. Perfect game to give a few kids a run. Can't see him with a spot, but good to see him on the park.

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 11:29 PM
I actually forgot Gia was playing until I saw Everitts late goal attempt.

SO relieved we won though.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-07-2010, 11:32 PM
But at least if we play these young blokes now and then, we get to see that. Perfect game to give a few kids a run. Can't see him with a spot, but good to see him on the park.

I was very glad to see him get a game, I guess I am waiting for Andrej to really grab his spot and make it his. And whilst he is still young, really he is in his fourth season now, and should be starting to understand what is required at this level.
Time is still on his side, but I am increasingly wondering whether it will happen for him at the Dogs. I really really hope I am wrong, because when in his debut season, I had him pegged to become the sort of player that Sam Gilbert has evolved into, and yet each consecutive season he has played he has seemingly gone backwards.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-07-2010, 11:38 PM
I dont think there is anyone who thougth our first quarter was acceptable, just trying to put it in a slightly amusing context, promise i wont do it again.

Although, like other posters on these forums i think the Darwin experiment has to end, we will only see the true cost of this when we front up next week and if fatigue plays any factor.

Fair enough, but it was the 1st Qtr against a team who had something to prove, and were always going to come out hard, and we were only 15 points down.
The balance swung pretty quickly thereafter, and we were winning the clearances and hard ball very easily from the start of the seecond quarter on.

I agree with you on the whole Darwin experiment, hopefully we get ourselves into a financial position where we don't have to commit to this in the not too distant future.
It's going to be very interesting how we run out the game next week.

Scraggers
17-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Fair enough, but it was the 1st Qtr against a team who had something to prove, and were always going to come out hard, and we were only 15 points down.
The balance swung pretty quickly thereafter, and we were winning the clearances and hard ball very easily from the start of the seecond quarter on.

I agree with you on the whole Darwin experiment, hopefully we get ourselves into a financial position where we don't have to commit to this in the not too distant future.
It's going to be very interesting how we run out the game next week.

Agreed !!! Considering it was their first game under new coach (Primus) AND Cornes' 200th ... I'd take a six goal win any day

Rance Fan
17-07-2010, 11:44 PM

Reload

I agree the 1st quarter was poor, but the dictionary meanings arent amusing.
They go up to Darwin for the $$, ideally it would be better to play at home, but i guess thats how it is for now.
We got the win, now we hopefully recover fully and smash Freo next week at home.

Port Adelaide

Ordinary -

–adjective
1. of no special quality or interest; commonplace; unexceptional: One novel is brilliant, the other is decidedly ordinary; an ordinary person.
2. plain or undistinguished: ordinary clothes.
3. somewhat inferior or below average; mediocre.
4. See Reloads humour!! :D

Ghost Dog
17-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Reload

:D

Lighten up Rance! Nothing wrong with a bit of word play.

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 11:48 PM

I thought they were... :)

Rance Fan
17-07-2010, 11:52 PM

Disagree. If i wont a bit of word play id go play scrabble!

Drunken Bum
18-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Williams doesn't look like he wants to kick it since those two clangers earlier.
I thought his field kicking was great up until that first clanger which despite what the commentators said was poor judgment i thought was a misskick, didnt see a replay so prepared to be corrected, was surprised they harped on about his kicking after that first mistake.

His first quarter and a half was pretty decent i thought, disappeared after that pretty much but was there abouts when the game was on which was more than i could say for a few others

Reload

seems you are on your own here mate, think you need to lighten up a little bit personally :)

just one other point i thought Johno was looking a bit more like his old self tonight, a good sign coming into the finals as i believe we will need him to stand up and lead if we are to go anywhere

Chicago1
18-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Dear ReLoad,

I am sending you the following via Super Express AirMail in hope that it might be useful in your posts for next week's match. A bit of colour never hurts, especially if it's in Russian. The package is being sent in plain brown wrapping, OK?

Yours truly,
C1 :D

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q136/westernbulldogs1/dirtydic.jpg

Chicago1
18-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Oh yeah... I listened to the second half of the match. I was expecting the Power to come out all ablazin' in the first quarter. They did the same last week. Sounds like the weather in Darwin was similar to what we have here now - low 30's and high humidity. I get tired just walking down to the local supermarket... but then again I am nearing 58 years and a bit "portly". Surely the team is physically fit enough to recover by next weekend. Glad to see that we did what we had to do to win. Unfortunately we're not on ESPN3 next week. They're broadcasting the Melbourne v Sydney match online next weekend. Boring.

Scraggers
18-07-2010, 06:13 AM

I must say I enjoyed the second to fourth dictionary meanings ... It's was the choice of words for the first word (1st quarter) that I thought was not amusing ... Wrong choice of word me thinks.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Maybe he is a clandestine Magpie supporter who is worried about the Bulldogs.

Ghost Dog
18-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Harbrow. What a gun. Perfect for those conditions, low center of gravity,clean hands, quick decision making
As good a work ethic as any player we have. Just hard at it.
I reckon he could have taken the ball from one end of the ground to the other and nobody could have touched him.

gun ( slang ) ADJ

Australian slang term for a good bloke, reliable mate, or person otherwise admired for being efficient or formidable with regards some pursuit. Descended from wartime, when the word was used for a dependable comrade one was glad to have beside them; a 'good gun'.

example
> Harbrow just danced around 10 players and banged it into the 50 again.
> Yeah, Jarrod's a gun.

ReLoad
18-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Dear ReLoad,

I am sending you the following via Super Express AirMail in hope that it might be useful in your posts for next week's match. A bit of colour never hurts, especially if it's in Russian. The package is being sent in plain brown wrapping, OK?

Yours truly,
C1 :D

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q136/westernbulldogs1/dirtydic.jpg

Thank you i look forward to recieving it, and making my next post a little more colourful.
nice one! :)

As for those that didn't like my posts:

I've paid my fine to the fun police and have lost two demerit points on my sense of humour license.

I've also made appointments to see Dr Killjoy and i'm meeting with the people that look after the commonwealth bank tellers to have my personality surgically removed.

Please return to your normal posts about how bald Eagleton is.

ledge
18-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I dont think we can be too crucial on any talls today, the ball was slippery and not kind to any player let alone talls trying to take marks or bend over and handle the ball cleanly.

Harbrow a small who has experience in this weather was the only one to really make any inroads into clean ball handling.

Stefcep
18-07-2010, 12:27 PM
TBH I thought some 50-50 things went our way early in the 2nd Q to get us back in the match. Happened at a critical time. I felt a bit nervous in the last quarter when Port really matched us and it was a bit of an arm wrestle. 4 goals isn't a secure lead with a quarter to go.

All in all, 4points is 4 points, and it gives us a chance to go top 4.

A few shining lights like Harbrow. But nothing much to write home about.

Happy Days
18-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Have we had such high levels of humidity the other times we've played up there?

The game look alot sloppier and greasier than it has in previous years.

Ghost Dog
18-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Pro's and Con's of the game.

What's your two cents guys?
Positives: Pretty even contribution / Brad looked good and moved well. Good attack, Cross charging in as if his life depended on it / good kicking for such greasy conditions. 63 tackles, / solid work down back / Got through without serious injuries ( from what I know ) !!!

Worries: Without Barry, look a bit toothless / Not manning up in the Q1 / Lack of discipline giving away frees / First quarter work rate / overusing the ball at times / Griff the running machine getting mown down from behind again! ( I swear it's that mop of hair / peripheral vision issue. Cut it! ^_^ ) TIO Siren sounds like it needs an overhaul.

For yours Woofers?

Drunken Bum
19-07-2010, 02:23 AM
TBH I thought some 50-50 things went our way early in the 2nd Q to get us back in the match. Happened at a critical time.

cant remember if it was the 2nd Q or not but that free against the port runner was ridiculous, anyone care to explain that to me, has there been a rule change regarding this?

soupman
19-07-2010, 12:05 PM
cant remember if it was the 2nd Q or not but that free against the port runner was ridiculous, anyone care to explain that to me, has there been a rule change regarding this?

That was fair enough, if not incredibly lucky. There needs to be a detterant (sp?) to stop runners being involved in the play. Barnes got fined and/or suspended for filling space a few years ago as a runner and there needs to be the penalty of a free kick available if they are involved in the play. The Port bloke clearly was in the wrong place, and the free kick was thus warranted on the basis of the above, even if it was a bit harsh.

Sedat
19-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Worries:

For yours Woofers?
I'd add Ward to the list of worries from the game. He needs some continuity in his game leading into the finals and could do with a week's holiday like a hole in the head (which unfortunately I reckon he'll get).

The Coon Dog
19-07-2010, 12:19 PM
I'd add Ward to the list of worries from the game. He needs some continuity in his game leading into the finals and could do with a week's holiday like a hole in the head (which unfortunately I reckon he'll get).

I hope not, seemed more shoulder contact to me, but you never know with the lottery that is the MRP.