PDA

View Full Version : Round 16

The Coon Dog
17-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Just watching the Hawks rip Brisbane to pieces & wonder whehther Voss has lost the plot?

He is using Matt McGuire in the ruck whilst Leuenberger is off the ground, but incredibly has Mitch Clark in the centre square! :eek:

Good to see 'Saints Footy' at it's best! :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Good to see 'Saints Footy' at it's best! :rolleyes:

Yep! Pobably better for us if Collingwood loose but I cant help enjoying watching Saints Footy fall apart this afternoon. :)

Go_Dogs
17-07-2010, 04:59 PM
The Saints v Collingwood was a very interesting game.

Listening to Blighty early in the call, he stated that he thought Collingwood couldn't win it if they continued to go wide. On the radio on the way home this afternoon Richardson was saying how smart the Collingwood ploy to go wide, was.

He said that it really restricted the Saints ability to create easier scoring opportunities based on turnovers in the corridor. By playing wide, if a turnover did occur it put the Collingwood defence under a lot less pressure.

Just thought it was a very interesting observation, particularly when paired with the earlier suggestion that they had to play more direct. Certainly on the open expanses of the MCG, against the Saints who love to control the corridor, it seemed like a very good tactic.

Topdog
17-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Ah you are just realising that Voss has lost the plot? Shame on you TCD :)

The Coon Dog
17-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Ah you are just realising that Voss has lost the plot? Shame on you TCD :)

No, I had my doubts a few years back when mjp attended a conference & reported afterwards.

I reckon it was confirmed in the off season with the way they went about trade week.

GVGjr
17-07-2010, 05:58 PM
2 upsets and a thrashing by the Hawks sets up an interesting round.

azabob
17-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Not often the top two teams lose in the same round.

mjp
17-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Collingwood winning wasn't much of an upset was it?

GVGjr
17-07-2010, 06:17 PM

It certainly upset me :) I suppose not really but the Saints had a fair bit to play for an it was more the manner in which they lost.

The Coon Dog
17-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Not for me, I picked Collingwood.

mjp
17-07-2010, 06:21 PM
It certainly upset me :) I suppose not really but the Saints had a fair bit to play for an it was more the manner in which they lost.

Will take the Saints a few week to settle now that Riewoldt is back. Missing Dal Santo (good decision maker going forward) didn't help.

Collingwood are a good side...

comrade
17-07-2010, 06:45 PM
If we do sneak into 4th, who is the prefered opponent in the first week of finals. I'd just about prefer to face either Geelong or St Kilda. The Pies just have so much scoring power and have dismantled us twice this year.

Desipura
17-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Another tough game next week for the Aints against the Dawks.

G-Mo77
17-07-2010, 08:59 PM
LeCras has 10.1 in the 3rd quarter. WOW! :eek:

hujsh
17-07-2010, 09:45 PM
LeCras has 10.1 in the 3rd quarter. WOW! :eek:

12 goals now

Scraggers
17-07-2010, 09:47 PM
12 goals now

The most by any individual at Etihad ... very impressive

The Coon Dog
17-07-2010, 10:46 PM
The natives around Windy Hill will be a tad restless, if they weren't already.

jazzadogs
18-07-2010, 01:05 AM
12 goals now
Some pretty tough goals in that lot too. An amazing effort, which the Melbourne media will probably gloss over to a large extent.

Can't see it getting J Riewoldt-esque attention.

Remi Moses
18-07-2010, 02:46 AM
No great affinity for the Pies but did enjoy Saints Footy getting bludgeoned.Wasn't Steve "Big Game" Milne fail again on the big stage.
Blimey if it was bad for Knights last week with the long suffering Bombre fans just imagine the anger this week:p

Remi Moses
18-07-2010, 02:49 AM
The natives around Windy Hill will be a tad restless, if they weren't already.

Football talkback is joyous when one of the big four is in crisis.
Damian Hardwick to quote Mark Williams you were right

Topdog
18-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Will take the Saints a few week to settle now that Riewoldt is back. Missing Dal Santo (good decision maker going forward) didn't help.

That's why I picked the Pies this week. Saints looked poor last week against Brisbane too.

FlightoftheCallanWards
18-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Some pretty tough goals in that lot too. An amazing effort, which the Melbourne media will probably gloss over to a large extent.

Can't see it getting J Riewoldt-esque attention.

Or Lindsay Thomas like coverage, who has struggled the last couple of weeks interestingly..

The Coon Dog
18-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Quarter time & Carlton have started where they left off last week, trailing Sydney 39-6, much to consternation of the Carlton fans who left the players in no doubt how they felt!

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Carlton are gone, Swans with a terrific half of football.

comrade
18-07-2010, 03:21 PM
What a bunch of squibs.

Bulldogs winning + Carlton losing = great weekend footy.

NoName
18-07-2010, 05:08 PM
MMMMM - it doesn't look as though Melbourne will do us a favour this week against Freo.

comrade
18-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Melbourne are woeful and are doing us no favours. It's like a training run for the Dockers.

At least give a physical contest and make them earn it.

Remi Moses
18-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Typical soft effort on the road from the Demons!Please exert some physical pressure on Freo FFS!!!!:rolleyes:

angelopetraglia
18-07-2010, 06:24 PM
C'mon Demons! Back to 19 points. Make it a contest, please.

The Coon Dog
18-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Now only 7 points behind. C'mon Dees!!!

angelopetraglia
18-07-2010, 06:27 PM
5 goals in 14 minutes. C'mon Demons! Back to 7 points.

chef
18-07-2010, 06:35 PM
What a come back:eek:. Carn the Dees.

AndrewP6
18-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Dunn misses....2 points now!

NoName
18-07-2010, 06:37 PM
2 points down with 4 minutes left in the third, come on Melbourne!

The Coon Dog
18-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Goal to Crowley, Dockers by 8, but how mentally fragile is Jack Watts?

Marks 25 metres out on an angle & kicks after the 3/4 time siren & doesn't make the distance. Soft!!

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 06:46 PM
If Melbourne win this game I hope we don't put on the brakes against Freo next week! Going one game ahead of them would be bliss!

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Marks 25 metres out on an angle & kicks after the 3/4 time siren & doesn't make the distance. Soft!!

Maybe it was just a poor execution of skill. I see plenty of players do that sort of thing all the time.

angelopetraglia
18-07-2010, 06:48 PM
What do we think? Can the Demons get them?

As we know, it is one thing to catch them, another thing to go past them and hang on when coming from so far behind.

The Coon Dog
18-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Maybe it was just a poor execution of skill. I see plenty of players do that sort of thing all the time.

Reminded me of Daniel Motlop down in Tassie, just didn't want it.

The Pie Man
18-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Reminded me of Daniel Motlop down in Tassie, just didn't want it.

Spot on call - I fumed watching that.

Both teams look a little tired

AndrewP6
18-07-2010, 06:58 PM

Bit harsh... young bloke, tight game... Admittedly, should've at least made the journey.

Flamethrower
18-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Melbourne just need to take the lead....in these types of games coming back from nowhere is one thing, going on with it and winning is entirely different. We know all about it with our games against Collingwood and Essendon earlier this year.

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Is Pavlich mentally fragile for missing the goal that could've killed the Dees chances?

The Pie Man
18-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Jack Watts......meh

AndrewP6
18-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Dees gone now, Watts misses again!!!:eek::eek::eek:

angelopetraglia
18-07-2010, 07:18 PM
No one wanted to win it.

Jack Watts arggghhhhhh!!!!!

Melbourne did enough to get the 4 points in that last half. It could have been such a massive upset for us.

Just looking at the ladder, the game that absolutely kills us is the St Kilda game. Still don't know how we lost that. Win that and we would be currently in third position.

comrade
18-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Those misses were terrible from Watts but they weren't the worst things he did. Just a complete lack of composure under pressure.

Oh, well. At least there were some willing contests in the second half.

G-Mo77
18-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I actually thought Watts played great after half time. Yeah he missed 2 crucial goals but cut the kid some slack. He is improving every week and will be a heck of a player for the Dee's.

The Coon Dog
18-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I actually thought Watts played great after half time. Yeah he missed 2 crucial goals but cut the kid some slack. He is improving every week and will be a heck of a player for the Dee's.

Why should I cut him some slack?

Missed 2 crucial shots for goal, took his eyes off the ball which meant a team mate couldn't handball to him when in trouble, a handball from a team mate would have seen him run into an open goal & he missed the ball!!!!!!!!!

No way, soft so & so cost us getting 4th spot!

azabob
18-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Why should I cut him some slack?

Missed 2 crucial shots for goal, took his eyes off the ball which meant a team mate couldn't handball to him when in trouble, a handball from a team mate would have seen him run into an open goal & he missed the ball!!!!!!!!!

Tongue in cheek TCD? I'm sure our soft so & so's have so far cost us being top four and they have played a lot, lot more footy than Watts.

The Coon Dog
18-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Tongue in cheek TCD? I'm sure our soft so & so's have so far cost us being top four and they have played a lot, lot more footy than Watts.

Just a disappointed Dogs supporter who wanted Melbourne to win, badly. I guess his errors were crucial.

G-Mo77
18-07-2010, 08:14 PM

LOL

Fair enough. ;)

azabob
18-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Just a disappointed Dogs supporter who wanted Melbourne to win, badly. I guess his errors were crucial.

True. I don't have foxtel so I didn't see how bad they were.

ledge
18-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Rumour is Jack Watts has everything going for him except he is soft, proved it today, not just the shot at goals but every other possesion.
The blokes a liabillity, the other players must get a bit winded hope wise when he stuffs up everytime.
HE is the reason they lost, did he get minus in the supercoach? Must have gone close if he didnt.
Number 1 draft pick in the form of Anthony Banik.
In saying that, Trengove and Scully are number 1 draft picks and deservedly so.

AndrewP6
18-07-2010, 09:14 PM
HE is the reason they lost, did he get minus in the supercoach? Must have gone close if he didnt..

Watts got 70 SC points...

Mantis
19-07-2010, 09:04 AM
HE is the reason they lost, did he get minus in the supercoach? Must have gone close if he didnt.

Watts had 13 kicks, 7 marks & 6 handballs which aren't bad numbers.

In saying that, Trengove and Scully are number 1 draft picks and deservedly so.

Did we have two #1 draft picks last year? :confused:

Desipura
19-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Very harsh on Watts, I can recall when our very own Chris Grant was missing crucial goals as well as from point blank range. No one would ever say he choked.

Lets not forget how many goals Freo missed in the last quarter.
Having said that, "gee, I was annoyed that the Dees could not get over the line though"

chef
19-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Very harsh on Watts, I can recall when our very own Chris Grant was missing crucial goals as well as from point blank range. No one would ever say he choked.

Lets not forget how many goals Freo missed in the last quarter.
Having said that, "gee, I was annoyed that the Dees could not get over the line though"

And our captain has missed a couple after the siren too.

With a bit more size, a bigger motor and more confidence Watts is going to be a good player.

Desipura
19-07-2010, 09:58 AM
And our captain has missed a couple after the siren too.

With a bit more size, a bigger motor and more confidence Watts is going to be a good player.
Exactly right!

FlightoftheCallanWards
19-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah he may have missed sme very gettable shots but I thought Watts had a very good game. I know no one has mentioned it but I have always said Watts will be better than Naitanui and to be honest the last couple of games Jack has shown a lot more than Nic. Mark Robinson makes mention of it in his Tackle column. Watts will be quite the player.

The Pie Man
19-07-2010, 01:55 PM
If you're a Melbourne fan you can live with yesterday based on potential - they're not making finals and guys like Watts need game time.

Now in fairness to him, there were some good signs. He got a bit of the pill and was prepared to work hard up the ground, and he looks to have put on more size over the summer (compare with J Grant who looks pretty similar to when he was drafted....but he's clearly fitter and competing well)

If I was a Melbourne fan, you'd want Jack to be hurt by yesterday and learn from it- he'll be a leader at that club in 1-3 years time and he'll need to nail those opportunities if Melbourne are going to go anywhere as a club.

Based on his workrate yesterday, you'd think he'll come good - still spewin he & Dunn couldn't win it for em yesterday though.