PDA

View Full Version : Round 17 Vs Freo - Team Selection

becmatty
17-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Massive game - more than four points up for grabs against Freo!

Likely/Possible Ins: Hall, Akermanis, Minson, Hahn, Roughead

Likely/Possible Outs: Moles, Wood, Everitt, Eagleton

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Massive game - more than four points up for grabs against Freo!

Likely/Possible Ins: Hall, Akermanis, Minson, Hahn, Roughead

Likely/Possible Outs: Moles, Wood, Everitt, Eagleton

HAHA got to love your enthusiasm Becmatty :D

LostDoggy
17-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Does anyone think that Akermanis could miss out again? I think they might only make two changes.

In: Hall, Minson
Out: Everitt, Moles

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Does anyone think that Akermanis could miss out again? I think they might only make two changes.

I think he should come back in, but who can tell...

Mantis
17-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Wood? You have to be joking.

Played on at beat Schulz after 1/4 time and also provided some good run.

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 11:25 PM
In: Hall, Aker, Willbur/Roughy (depending on Will's fitness)
Out: Everitt, Moles, Wood (unlucky)

Was interested to see Everitt, after the groundswell of WOOF support. Took a nice grab and goaled in the first, didn't do a great deal after that. Just don't see the improvement in him at this level. I like Moles' and Wood's work, think they'll be unlucky though..I think Aker has earnt his way back. Eight goals in the past two games, should come back in, for mine. Eade just remarked that we'll need a second ruckman, that's my third. And hope upon hope that Hall will be right to jump back in.

azabob
17-07-2010, 11:29 PM
In: Hall, Aker, Minson
Out: Everitt, Moles, Willllbur.

I like Moles' work, think he'll be unlucky though..I think Aker has earnt his way back. Eight goals in the past two games, should come back in, for mine.

Whose your third out?

AndrewP6
17-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Whose your third out?

Oops... having a few quiet ones, shouldn't drink and post!!! ;) Will edit now.

becmatty
17-07-2010, 11:33 PM

No, he broke even with Schulz and both players had little impact for their respective teams.

Wood's experience in the seniors will be vital for his development and he may be used again before the season is out. For now though, I think he can go back to Willy and rack up some touches, and lay in waiting should he be required again...

Go_Dogs
17-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Eade just interviewed and said Hall and Roughead likely inclusions, but said it might be hard to drop a few like Moles who he thought came in and did well.

Certainly going to be an interesting week at selection with a few players pushing to come back in.

chef
17-07-2010, 11:40 PM

In: Hall, Minson

I do, whose spot would he take?

I'd have the same ins and outs as yours arkie.

chef
17-07-2010, 11:42 PM

I liked Woods game tonight and he did a pretty good job on Schultz.

Hotdog60
17-07-2010, 11:43 PM

Likewise I thought Wood closed down Schulz who was providing a target for Port early. Also how good would that piece of play look through the center if the ball bounced back up to him, I think he was looking at a goal.

Greystache
17-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Williams could be a possible out too, not sure who he'd match up on. I also think having seen him play the role at Willy and him carving up Schultz tonight Wood can play on the third tall.

Rance Fan
17-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Agree Wood seems to be slotting in nicely in the back half.

mighty_west
17-07-2010, 11:50 PM
In: Hall, Roughead
Out: Everitt, Eagleton

comrade
17-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Wood should be safe; Was extremely competitive in the air and timed his runs well. He's giving us more than Higgins.

The Coon Dog
17-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Sports science plays a huge role these days & I reckon every possible measurement will be undertaken throughout this week to see if anyone's struggling from a recovery perspective.

That could well determine who misses out.

Mantis
18-07-2010, 12:02 AM
No, he broke even with Schulz and both players had little impact for their respective teams.

Wood's experience in the seniors will be vital for his development and he may be used again before the season is out. For now though, I think he can go back to Willy and rack up some touches, and lay in waiting should he be required again...

Schulz was giving AA FB in waiting Brian Lake the run around in the 1st qtr.

Wood certainly qwelled his influence after 1/4 time.

Greystache
18-07-2010, 12:07 AM
In- Hall, Roughead/Minson, Aker
Out- Everitt, Williams, Higgins

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 12:08 AM
In: Hall, Aker, Roughead
Out: Eagleton, Everitt, Most likely Moles

I think they'll bring Aker in, since it will pretty much be a finals type intensity match imo, and need his experience.

boydogs
18-07-2010, 12:28 AM
In: Hall, Minson, Aker
Out: Everitt, Eagleton, Moles

Happy to have gotten the job done with the listed In's getting the week off

Everitt is not a deep tall forward target, he needs to be leading further up the ground and using his running and kicking to deliver further forward. Traditional HFF role. It frustrates me when we use Hill in the same way. Eade keeps setting up as though we have multiple tall forwards when we don't.

With Hall and Minson coming in, we won't need him down there next week

Mofra
18-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Eade on the 5th quarter mentioned they'd need a second ruckman against Freo, and mentioned Roughy not Minson.

No way would I have Wood out - he did very well on Schultz in the last 3 quarters and he had a couple of beautiful long kicks.

Rocco Jones
18-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Williams could be a possible out too, not sure who he'd match up on. I also think having seen him play the role at Willy and him carving up Schultz tonight Wood can play on the third tall.

Totally agree. Lake is the best full back going around, I think Morris is suited to playing tall most weeks and I have Wood ahead of Williams as a tall defensive option. Shaggy also provides a decent break in case of emergency option as a tall defender. The only real reason I see in playing in is if we want Lake to spend more time forward and it doesn't look that way at the moment.

Coming off a trip to Darwin, I would prefer to see us keep an extra runner in ahead of Williams.

Eade on the 5th quarter mentioned they'd need a second ruckman against Freo, and mentioned Roughy not Minson.

I found that interesting as well. Either way, we have to play two ruckmen against Sandi.

My stab at it...

IN: Hall, Roughead/Minson, Aker
OUT: Everitt, Williams, Moles/Eagle

While Aker wasn't dominant today for Willy, he did the right things. His delivery inside 50 was a cut above and he racked up a stack of tackles. I do realise that their is a lot more at play than his game day performances though and if he isn't in the picture yet, I would keep Eagle and Moles both in the team.

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 05:28 AM
In: Hall, Roughead, Aker
Out: Williams/Everitt, Eagleton, Higgins.

A tall has to go for balance purposes. I can't split Moles and Eagleton but will opt for Moles as he is younger and has more upside at this point. Higgins has been woeful all year and has surely run out of credits. It's like playing a man short. He really needs to have a good preseason and set himself up because he is showing some concerning weaknesses in speed, agility, intensity at the contest, kicking depth, running and spreading and tackling pressure. I almost prefer he go to GC instead of Harbrow

chef
18-07-2010, 07:59 AM

No way would I have Wood out - he did very well on Schultz in the last 3 quarters and he had a couple of beautiful long kicks.

He also ignored answering the question about if Aker will return next week and said he was very happy with Moles game.

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 08:56 AM
He also ignored answering the question about if Aker will return next week and said he was very happy with Moles game.

Yea I noticed he dodged that. Almost like he didn't want to say his name.

The Pie Man
18-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Interesting they'd go that way with Wood only 6'1, but he's shown he's capable of playing tall. Versatility is king in modern footy

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Based on purely form I would like to see Higgins out. Everitt to stay in his place. Minson back in. Eagleton out for Hall.

G-Mo77
18-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Surprised to see the calls of Higgins to be dropped. Didn't think he was too bad last night and was pretty good the week before.

Out: Everitt, Moles (Unlucky)/Williams (Pending matchups)

GVGjr
18-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Based on purely form I would like to see Higgins out. Everitt to stay in his place. Minson back in. Eagleton out for Hall.

I'd have to keep Higgins in the side as I don't think there is a lot of value in dropping him.
He's down on form but I think a good game for him is just around the corner.

I wonder how close the likes of Minson and Hahn are to being available. Hall should be OK

GVGjr
18-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Surprised to see the calls of Higgins to be dropped. Didn't think he was too bad last night and was pretty good the week before.

Out: Everitt, Moles (Unlucky)/Williams (Pending matchups)

I'd be reluctant to drop Williams given the back line is performing so well. I don't want to see both Morris and Hargrave having to play on taller guys.

Mantis
18-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I'd be reluctant to drop Williams given the back line is performing so well. I don't want to see both Morris and Hargrave having to play on taller guys.

Who would these talls be from the Freo team?

GVGjr
18-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Has the likely Fremantle team been named? :)
Would you drop Williams?

Rocco Jones
18-07-2010, 01:14 PM
I'd be reluctant to drop Williams given the back line is performing so well.

Tom Williams and our backline are like League talk on The Offsiders. An ordinary part of a great overall product.

I don't want to see both Morris and Hargrave having to play on taller guys.

I am not sure that will have to happen. Most weeks I think Morris is suited to play tall and if we need a 3rd tall, I have more faith in Wood doing the job than Williams. I know a lot of people prefer tall over good, but I am not one of them. I would have Williams in against some opponents but not next week. Morris is probably our best option for Pav, which already takes out one tall option. We need to bring in Hall and a ruckman and coming off a Darwin trip I think we need to be especially wary of not going in top heavy.

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Does anyone think that Akermanis could miss out again?

Yep.

When you read what German had to say & how Rocket reacted to questions after the game, it seems as though Aker wasn't a stand out for Willy.

GVGjr
18-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Most weeks I think Morris is suited to play tall and if we need a 3rd tall, I have more faith in Wood doing the job than Williams. I know a lot of people prefer tall over good, but I am not one of them. I would have Williams in against some opponents but not next week. Morris is probably our best option for Pav, which already takes out one tall option. We need to bring in Hall and a ruckman and coming off a Darwin trip I think we need to be especially wary of not going in top heavy.

It's really becoming a midfielders game because most weeks a lot of people are looking at ways of dropping either Williams or Minson to bring in additional runners.

I don't think we are top heavy though even with Williams and the 2nd ruckman in the side.
We dropped Roughead just because of the conditions and we won't have that issue against Fremantle.

comrade
18-07-2010, 01:28 PM
It might just have been the conditions and the fact that the tempo was decidedly non-defensive but our forwardline looked extra slow last night. Once again, the ball just rebounded too easily with guys like Higgo and Gia just not working hard enough to chase and keep the ball in. They're not blessed with pace but it's an attitude thing.

Personally, I'd give Higgins a spell; if he's injured, rest him. If he's not working had enough, send him to Willy to try and jolt his work rate.

Hall in.

Eagleton or Everitt out for Roughead.

Any others may depend on how they've pulled up.

Mantis
18-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Has the likely Fremantle team been named? :)
Would you drop Williams?

I'm not sure who he would play on, but I haven't seen Freo play much this year so I'm not sure on their set-up.

Morris normally plays on Pav which leaves Lake for Bradley or other tall.

If there is no suitable match-up I wouldn't mind resting him as I think due to a possible tiring factor I would play an extra runner.

Rocco Jones
18-07-2010, 01:44 PM

Tarrant and McPharlin both seem better suited to playing dow back.

They seem to go in with Pav and one of Bradley and Johnson.

Morris to Pav
Lake to Bradley/Johnson

If they are going to play Bradley and Johnson in the same forward line I don't think we should dedicate a spot out of fear of what that might do. Give Wood or Shaggy the opportunity to create a bit of rebound as I think they have pretty much the same ability to keep them quiet as Williams anyway.

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't think we are top heavy though even with Williams and the 2nd ruckman in the side.
We dropped Roughead just because of the conditions and we won't have that issue against Fremantle.

I don't we are top heavy either, look at the last two teams who played off in the Grand Final.

Before I Die
18-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Tarrant and McPharlin both seem better suited to playing dow back.

I think their tall forwards will be Pav, Fyfe and Johnson/resting Sandi.

-Morris to Pav
-Wood/Shaggy to Fyfe who is 186cms
-Lake on Johnson/Sandi

Why is it Johnson/Sandi? Shouldn't it be Johnson and Sandi/Bradley? Especially if they bring in Tarrant and keep Silvagni in the team. McPhee also tends to play tall.

I actually think Williams in the team creates run by being the stay at home backman who frees up the more creative runners. I have been impressed with Wood, but really it is more about potential than real contribution so far. He has had some good runs but is really getting very little ball, 3 kicks and 5 handballs yesterday.

Having said all that I would keep him in and make the following changes.

Out: Everitt (unlucky), Moles (very unlucky), Higgins (needs to find some form)

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 02:46 PM
I'd have to keep Higgins in the side as I don't think there is a lot of value in dropping him.
He's down on form but I think a good game for him is just around the corner.

I wonder how close the likes of Minson and Hahn are to being available. Hall should be OK

If he is fit then surely there is a case for a kick up the bum and a drop to the seconds. His intensity is well down. If he is not fit then surely in a crucial game this week coming of the Darwin game we need fully fit personal. If Higgins was a first or second year player he would have been dropped on form a long time ago. Eade should apply this logic to all players.
If Hanh gets another game for this club I am not sure were we are going because the game has past this guy.
Minson or Roughead should come back in. Who goes out will depend on matchups etc.

Ghost Dog
18-07-2010, 03:56 PM

Out: Everitt (he is getting there.. ), Higgins (needs form), Eagleton ( unlucky )

I would like Brody to get a real look in this finals series based on what I saw last night.
Seems reliable / good work ethic with the youth to run out an intense finals game.
Higgins wasn't too bad, but highly skilled players like him can be a touch complacent at times. I know he won't get dropped.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Really it's way too early, we need to see how the boys pull up as we will need all the run we can muster to get over Freo. That said it's not the end of the world if we drop this one ether, (Sounds like the problem down at the dogs?)

My best guess is that Everitt and Eagle straight out for Hall & Minson (Roughy if Minson is not right)

Depending on match ups/fitness we could see Jones get his first game, my thoughts would be get him a game now and then settle the side in for the run home and finals.

Tommy has done a few nice things for mine and I like the back line with him, This could also get Harbrow into the midfield if they play tall down back.

As for Aker he still has a place in our best 22 but I think he would see himself as a walk up this week. It may be a good thing if he misses out to really get that hunger back.

aker39
18-07-2010, 08:58 PM
In: Hall, Roughhead

I don't think Aker will play, and I don't think Wood is going anywhere. He is solid as a rock.

becmatty
18-07-2010, 09:04 PM
As for Aker he still has a place in our best 22 but I think he would see himself as a walk up this week. It may be a good thing if he misses out to really get that hunger back.

If Aker has to wait any longer to gain some hunger, he would devour the entire opposition. I think he is jumping out of his skin to play. GET HIM IN!

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 09:14 PM
INS: Hall. Roughy. Aker

OUTS: Everitt. Moles. Eagle

Bloody Jack Watts couldve made things easier on us!

From what Freo just served up I think the only thing we have to worry about is being to tired.

Rocco Jones
18-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Why is it Johnson/Sandi? Shouldn't it be Johnson and Sandi/Bradley? Especially if they bring in Tarrant and keep Silvagni in the team. McPhee also tends to play tall.

Totally agree, that's why I edited the post you quoted half an hour or so before you actually quoted it! Must have had the reply box open for awhile.

I don't rate their 3rd tall option highly enough to sacrifice a spot purely to someone playing a lock down role on them. Even then, I am not sure Williams is the best option. I know most fans if given the choice of picking only one would go for tall over good but I don't agree (I guess one involves ability to read the game and the other an ability to read the AFL record) I rate Wood ahead of Williams as a key defender. I know he is only 185cm and not ideal, but what does Williams bring to the table other than being tall? He seems to be rated so much in theory rather than reality.

I really wonder where Williams would be without all that hype and early pick. I don't think he is a dud, just a player reliant on match ups. If he is selected next week I won't be disappointed, I think he is thereabouts in our best 22, just don't see him as a deadset lock as many do.

Before I Die
18-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Totally agree, that's why I edited the post you quoted half an hour or so before you actually quoted it! Must have had the reply box open for awhile.

I don't rate their 3rd tall option highly enough to sacrifice a spot purely to someone playing a lock down role on them. Even then, I am not sure Williams is the best option. I know most fans if given the choice of picking only one would go for tall over good but I don't agree (I guess one involves ability to read the game and the other an ability to read the AFL record) I rate Wood ahead of Williams as a key defender. I know he is only 185cm and not ideal, but what does Williams bring to the table other than being tall? He seems to be rated so much in theory rather than reality.

I really wonder where Williams would be without all that hype and early pick. I don't think he is a dud, just a player reliant on match ups. If he is selected next week I won't be disappointed, I think he is thereabouts in our best 22, just don't see him as a deadset lock as many do.

I am guessing humility is not your strong suit. It seems you can't give an opinion lately without throwing a condescending remark at others who may not share your point of view.

I believe Hall, Minson/Roughead and Aker should come back in. I also believe Williams is very important. I would drop Higgins before Wood just at the moment, but I want an in form Higgins back in a week or two. Wood is showing great potential, but he is also redundant if Murphy, and Harbrow play back and Hargrave and Gilbee maintain their current running form.

Come finals time we are matching up against Mooney, Pods, Ottens and posibly Hawkins; Reiwoldt, Kosi, Gardiner; Cloke, Dawes, Brown; Johnson, Pavlich, Sandi etc; plus a bevy of dangerous smalls in each case. Hopefully Tom won't cop another late season injury this year becaus I believe we will need him.

Now I should know better than to ask this, but Rocco, were you by any chance scared by a very tall man when you were very young? You seem to have major problems with footballers over 196cm. :D

Ghost Dog
18-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Insight into Dockers Fans Comments.

"I think Silvagni plays well but IMO with McPharlin, Tarrant, Johnson, McPhee all able to play down back along with Silvagni we may be too tall especially if Hall doesnt play ."

Ok Missy, here is your chance!

"We really need to Punish and wear the Bulldogs down with tackles and brute nastyness. "

nastynesssss :D Hope we show a bit more discipline than against Port if they intend to serve that crap.

I'm not sure that Roughy has the body strength to tag team and tire Sandilands. Minson and Hudson a better combo?
Think Roughy is the better all round player, either or it will be a tough day in the ruck.

Sandilands : FYI the heaviest and equal tallest player in the history of the game ( Wiki )

Rocco Jones
18-07-2010, 10:49 PM
I am guessing humility is not your strong suit. It seems you can't give an opinion lately without throwing a condescending remark at others who may not share your point of view.

I agree with that and apologise for the comments, they were poor.

Now I should know better than to ask this, but Rocco, were you by any chance scared by a very tall man when you were very young? You seem to have major problems with footballers over 196cm. :D

Haha, no just footballers over 196cm who aren't particularly good. I like Hudson, Hall and Lake a lot. :)

I don't have the opposite view to you. I see him as around the best 22 not a complete dud, I just think that he is reliant on match ups.

Other than being tall, what do you like about Tom? Most of the times he comes up against ordinary tall opponents he keeps them quiet, I will give him that for sure but I think Wood can do that as well as giving us greater flexibility. Up against anything better than ordinary and Tom really struggles.

When I comment on Tom I really should put at the moment after his name because I think/hope he can improve. Here's hoping I look really wrong after he has owned a few KP forwards in September!

LostDoggy
18-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Tom is my biggest concern in our list. He just seems to nervous when he gets the ball and looks like he is worrying too much not to stuff up. Which in turn, makes him stuff up...And against the good sides and especially in the finals, they will make us pay.

Before I Die
18-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Tom is my biggest concern in our list. He just seems to nervous when he gets the ball and looks like he is worrying too much not to stuff up. Which in turn, makes him stuff up...And against the good sides and especially in the finals, they will make us pay.

Brian Harris anyone? If you want to see "nervous with the ball in their hands" watch some footage of Lake (Harris) circa 2004/2005. Or maybe some footage of Harry Taylor from two years ago. I think Tom is going to be the backbone of our defence for the next 7 or 8 years and the more games we can get into him, the quicker he will develop.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Brian Harris anyone? If you want to see "nervous with the ball in their hands" watch some footage of Lake (Harris) circa 2004/2005. Or maybe some footage of Harry Taylor from two years ago. I think Tom is going to be the backbone of our defence for the next 7 or 8 years and the more games we can get into him, the quicker he will develop.

I agree with this 100% - Tom has all the attributes to be a top notch key position backman and firmly believe that he is going in the right direction. He contributes a huge amount to the overall structure of our backline and allows the likes of Lake / Gilbee / Hargrave / Harbrow to move further upfield and (in Lake's case) to actually have stints up forward. He will be a key guy for us in the next 7-8 years.

Jasper
19-07-2010, 01:11 AM

I guess what you are saying here is the problem for the MC. I agree Williams may be the future backbone of our defence, particularly once Lake slows down. However, the rider is the more games we get into him, the quicker he will develop, which means you are conceding he isn't great just yet. Unless we aren't chasing a premiership anymore this year, then Williams shouldn't play unless he is in our best 22 on the day, and depending on form and matchups that could vary.

While I have seen good signs, I still see worry about him getting beaten in the air too easily and not just by tall opponents and/or giving away frees at crucial times. If anything his panicking seems to have improved although I still get nervous when he has the ball. Although I feel he has improved on all of the above fronts even in the last few games he has played.

The shift of Murphy back and the introduction of Wood appears to have made our defence better and Williams looks better as well. Both Murphy and Wood provide run releasing Harbrow, Hargrave and Gilbee. I hope we can continue with both Murph and Wood form, fitness permitting.

Depending on player fitness and Aker's mouth:

Out: Higgins, Everitt
In: Aker, Roughead (Hall and Minson instead if they are fit, with Williams making way for Aker, to keep the required level of runners)

Having watched Everitt, I tend to agree that in our team, there is no place for him at present, which is a shame because he tried his guts out (the spray he copped from Gia when he didn't centre it appeared unwarranted as Gia had two on him). Moles and Eagle did little wrong...Higgins is not right and his form has been ordinary all year. Perhaps he needs a Del Santo pre-finals slap.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I rate Wood ahead of Williams as a key defender. I know he is only 185cm and not ideal, but what does Williams bring to the table other than being tall? He seems to be rated so much in theory rather than reality.

Surely you cannot arrive at that assessment based on one game in Darwin where the ball was like a cake of soap all night. Clean marks were few and far between because of the conditions and Schulz is no world-beater anyway.

Wood, who I rate highly was favoured by the conditions which are not likely to be repeated this year. His lack of height is but one short-coming. How is he going to out-muscle tall forwards given his build?

Williams has done the job manfully this year. Depite Luke Darcy's observations, Williams kicking efficiency is excellent. He is not easily pushed off the ball and has good speed for a big fellow coming out of defence.

This continuing bleat that he is living on the one game against Buddy in Launcestion is nonsense. He is doing the job week in week out.

As for Freo next week, they have a number of options among their bigger blokes who could play CHF, particularly if they see us lining up with a minnow at CHB. Those of us who can remember the Smith/Robran match-up will not have a bar of falling for that again.

Desipura
19-07-2010, 10:07 AM
In: Hall, Roughhead

I don't think Aker will play, and I don't think Wood is going anywhere. He is solid as a rock.
Moles play well IMHO

Out: Everitt & Eagle
In: Roughead & Hall

Ozza
19-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd be disappointed if Everitt was dropped. I think he goes well, I love his size and the flexibility he gives the team. I thought he had more impact on the game than Moles did - but team balance will come into it a bit I guess.

Is Ward a chance to miss due to suspension for his reckless bump?

Mantis
19-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Is Ward a chance to miss due to suspension for his reckless bump?

It was brought up in an article in 'the age' this morning as something that the MRP will look at, but I think he should be ok as he made contact with the shoulder rather than the head and he also looked as though he 'pulled up' such that contact was minimal... it was also mentioned in said article that Hargrave might be looked at for a 'jumper punch'.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Those with the view that Williams' kicking is suspect might be interested to know that he is ranked fourth of all players for 2010 at 80.3% kicking efficiency which by any measure is an excellent return.

Desipura
19-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Those with the view that Williams' kicking is suspect might be interested to know that he is ranked fourth of all players for 2010 at 80.3% kicking efficiency which by any measure is an excellent return.
How many of those are under pressure?

Mofra
19-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Bingo. His disposal in the first half was quite good I thought and although it may be symptomatic of him taking the safe option more often than not, he & Morris are two of the three guys we have with a disposal efficiency above 80%.

He is actually quite good overhead, quick for his size and unless the opposition make a concerted effort to isolate our talls (which pushes the opposition to the flanks, giving them lower % shots on goal), he allows Lake greater flexibility to one off.

As much as I think Wood is now in our best 22, I don't think he is the answer to CHB at the expense of Williams.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Does it matter?

It is his overall percentage

soupman
19-07-2010, 12:16 PM

I'm not sure this is a fair comment to make.

Williams has shown this year that he can out mark his opponent, hit targets by foot (80% doesn't lie) and is generally composed under pressure if he has support. Williams only looks poor when he has no support from teammates. Under pressure he is good at releasing the player hanging out the back, and I'd say most of his errors by foot are when he is unde rpressure and is forced to kick to a one on one, which is fairly standard. If he has nothing "on" to kick too how can he be expected to make these effective? Yes he does fluff a few other disposals a match, but doesn't everybody?

Desipura
19-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Does it matter?

Yes it does, stats dont always paint a true picture which is the point I am trying to make.

mighty_west
19-07-2010, 01:34 PM

If the answer is very few, then i see that as a big positive for Tom, knowing that his job is to take a tall, and stop his direct opponent.

If Tom can curve his opponents infuence as well as find space to get into less pressured situations, then that is a massive tick for me.

Desipura
19-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Williams has shown this year that he can out mark his opponent, hit targets by foot (80% doesn't lie) and is generally composed under pressure if he has support. Williams only looks poor when he has no support from teammates. Under pressure he is good at releasing the player hanging out the back, and I'd say most of his errors by foot are when he is unde rpressure and is forced to kick to a one on one, which is fairly standard. If he has nothing "on" to kick too how can he be expected to make these effective? Yes he does fluff a few other disposals a match, but doesn't everybody?
I wish Williams would go for his marks more often expecting to clunk them (hopefully the penny will drop one day soon)

When he has no support from his teammates, I want him to take them on with his 100kg frame and say "get out of my way". Doing this, may create a loose man and potentially avoids kicking to a one on one.
I did like one 40 metre pass that he found a teammate with on Saturday night. I still think his first decision is to look back before he looks forward.

mighty_west
19-07-2010, 01:39 PM
I wish Williams would go for his marks more often expecting to clunk them (hopefully the penny will drop one day soon)

When he has no support from his teammates, I want him to take them on with his 100kg frame and say "get out of my way". Doing this, can create a loose man and potentially avoids kicking to a one on one.
I did like one 40 metre pass that he found a teammate with on Saturday night. I still think his first decision is to look back before he looks forward.

Crossy seems to have similar issues.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Yes it does, stats dont always paint a true picture which is the point I am trying to make.

With a result of 80%, a true picture is painted - this is an elite level.

To quote Souperman - 80% doesn't lie

Desipura
19-07-2010, 01:41 PM

With a result of 80%, a true picture is painted - this is an elite level.

To quote Souperman - 80% doesn't lie

Ok, I will choose to totally ignore that stat.

Desipura
19-07-2010, 01:45 PM
If the answer is very few, then i see that as a big positive for Tom, knowing that his job is to take a tall, and stop his direct opponent.

If Tom can curve his opponents infuence as well as find space to get into less pressured situations, then that is a massive tick for me.
Unfortunately come finals time, he will not be afforded that luxury

EasternWest
19-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Totally agree. Lake is the best full back going around, I think Morris is suited to playing tall most weeks and I have Wood ahead of Williams as a tall defensive option. Shaggy also provides a decent break in case of emergency option as a tall defender.

We must watch a different guy when he plays on talls Rocco. I have zero condfidence in Ryan against a tall opponent. He always seems to grab and tug. A real weakness in his game.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Ok, I will choose to totally ignore that stat.

Yep, don't let facts get in the way of a discussion

stefoid
19-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Williams disposal is adequate and slowly improving, I dont reckon thats the thing holding him back.

The biggest weakness in his game at the moment is reading the play / positioning himself in the contest

Desipura
19-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Yep, don't let facts get in the way of a discussion
So what is Gilbee's efficiency?

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 03:42 PM
So what is Gilbee's efficiency?

77%

Source: Pro-stats which another Poster alerted us to recently

Desipura
19-07-2010, 03:44 PM
77%

Source: Pro-stats which another Poster alerted us to recently
Ok, thanks. Based on those stats Williams is a more efficient kick than Gilbee. I know who I would rather have the ball in their hands.
A more interesting stat for mine would be distance and direction of kick by kicking efficiency.

Ozza
19-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Ok, thanks. Based on those stats Williams is a more efficient kick than Gilbee. I know who I would rather have the ball in their hands.
A more interesting stat for mine would be distance and direction of kick by kicking efficiency.

An interesting stat would be to measure the typical bulldog supporter's heart rate when Williams has the ball as opposed to Gilbs!!!!

mjp
19-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Williams generally kicks within his limitations hence the high efficiency. He also doesn't get that many kicks...I don't really have an issue with his kicking though - he kicks it fine.

Not really sure it is relevant for this week though - Freo have enough talls to throw at us that we will need him.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Where did you find that statistic?

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Let's get some sanity into this discusion.

I produced these stats from a reputable Stats Agency to refute earlier comments that Williams' disposal was substandard. End of story

I do not have at my disposal a breakdown of stats into how many handballs are involved or how far each disposal travelled, or where the disposal travelled to, or the direction of the kick or other smart arse data.

The Stats provide clear evidence, as agreed by other Posters, that Williams is OK in this area. Now you can rail-road this discussion by jumping to other conclusions if you wish. Just don't expect those conclusions to be taken seriously.

One final note. Clubs pay for the priviledge of having this data before them. No bad feelings but I reckon I might back this information before your views.

immortalmike
19-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I think the biggest issue is that while Tom rarely shanks a kick, he often makes bad decisions (i.e, kicking high to a player who is in a two on one, takeing on the tackler) when under pressure and unfortunately this usually happens when he plays on the last line of defense, which makes them stand out. I actually think his skills are very good especially for a big guy, he just doesn't have the football insticts of a Gilbee, Murphy or Lake. The good news is that I remember Brian Lake being very similar early in his career, so I guess it can be worked on.

Desipura
19-07-2010, 05:14 PM
The Stats provide clear evidence, as agreed by other Posters, that Williams is OK in this area. Now you can rail-road this discussion by jumping to other conclusions if you wish. Just don't expect those concusions to be taken seriously.

One final note. Clubs pay for the priviledge of having this data before them. No bad feelings but I reckon I might back this information before your views

No they dont, the stats show that Williams is a better kick than Gilbee. I do agree his kicking is generally ok when under little pressure.
On the 2nd point, good for you, I did work for a major statistical company in my previous employment so I do like to think I have a little bit of an idea.
Im not too concerned if my differing opinions are in the minority, its my opinion and I am entitled to it.
Oh yeah, back to the inclusions for this week..............

Scorlibo
19-07-2010, 05:27 PM
There is nothing wrong with Tommy's kicking, in fact his kicking is quite good, it's his decision making which is suspect. To be honest the one thing I'd tell him would be to take the game on a bit more, he has the running power, strength, marking ability, skills to match Brian, the only thing lacking is a bit of confidence in himself.

Mofra
19-07-2010, 05:34 PM
No they dont, the stats show that Williams is a better kick than Gilbee.
No, they show he has a higher disposal efficiency, not necessarily a better kick. As mjp has pointed out, it may well be that he chooses to kick within his limitations more than other players.
Given he is surrounded by rebounding defenders save for Morris, this isn't a problem.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 06:09 PM
His kicking stats are ok. As most of his kicks are going backwards or sideways.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 06:18 PM
I think the biggest issue is that while Tom rarely shanks a kick, he often makes bad decisions (i.e, kicking high to a player who is in a two on one, takeing on the tackler) when under pressure and unfortunately this usually happens when he plays on the last line of defense, which makes them stand out. I actually think his skills are very good especially for a big guy, he just doesn't have the football insticts of a Gilbee, Murphy or Lake. The good news is that I remember Brian Lake being very similar early in his career, so I guess it can be worked on.

I wouldn't say often but I agree this is the issue more so than his actual kicking.
He's heading in the right direction and will certainly be an asset against certain sides
come finals time.

bornadog
19-07-2010, 06:21 PM
There is nothing wrong with Tommy's kicking, in fact his kicking is quite good, it's his decision making which is suspect. To be honest the one thing I'd tell him would be to take the game on a bit more, he has the running power, strength, marking ability, skills to match Brian, the only thing lacking is a bit of confidence in himself.

He is a player with less than 50 games and I think his decision making is getting better and better. I for one will back the MC to stick with him, after all there aren't to many tall CHB running around.

Ghost Dog
19-07-2010, 06:32 PM
an interesting stat would be to measure the typical bulldog supporter's heart rate when williams has the ball as opposed to gilbs!!!!

haha. :D I like I like.

Ghost Dog
19-07-2010, 06:33 PM
He is a player with less than 50 games and I think his decision making is getting better and better. I for one will back the MC to stick with him, after all there aren't to many tall CHB running around.

Right on.

GVGjr
19-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Surely you cannot arrive at that assessment based on one game in Darwin where the ball was like a cake of soap all night. Clean marks were few and far between because of the conditions and Schulz is no world-beater anyway.

Wood, who I rate highly was favoured by the conditions which are not likely to be repeated this year. His lack of height is but one short-coming. How is he going to out-muscle tall forwards given his build?

Williams has done the job manfully this year. Depite Luke Darcy's observations, Williams kicking efficiency is excellent. He is not easily pushed off the ball and has good speed for a big fellow coming out of defence.

This continuing bleat that he is living on the one game against Buddy in Launcestion is nonsense. He is doing the job week in week out.

As for Freo next week, they have a number of options among their bigger blokes who could play CHF, particularly if they see us lining up with a minnow at CHB. Those of us who can remember the Smith/Robran match-up will not have a bar of falling for that again.

Can't disagree. Wood is a very good prospect and would have the ability of playing on some marginally taller players but certainly won't be able to play on some of the better key forwards at the moment.

I also agree that Williams has done little wrong and find it interesting that so many are looking to drop him for team balance reasons. If push comes to shove and we are a bit too tall then Lake can easily play forward or Hargrave could move to a wing.

GVGjr
19-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Does it matter?

Tend to agree. What we do know is that Williams is not a huge recipient of the lateral kicks to the unmarked defender like Lake, Hargrave and Morris often are.

Williams kicking might be inflated by a few easy kicks but overall he's not a poor distributor of the ball.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm actually quite comfortable with Williams having the ball in hand and where it will end up.
If you rewatch the Port game and look at what he did with the ball before the Darcy comment, he used it quite well. It just so happens he stuffed up the exact kick when Darcy brought up the issue that has drawn people's attention to it. Just unlucky that one of his few clangers for the night was at the same time that Darcy said he was a poor kick.

Hotdog60
19-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Out: Williams, Everitt

In: Boumann, Hall/Jones

Jarrad Boumann is one out of left field, he's been playing well at Willy and by last reports was very quick and attacking with he's disposal.

If Rocket can encourage him to look for the longer options could he could be something that Freo don't expect.

The down side is it could hurt us if he under performs.

mighty_west
19-07-2010, 07:57 PM

Jarrad Boumann is one out of left field, he's been playing well at Willy and by last reports was very quick and attacking with he's disposal.

If Rocket can encourage him to look for the longer options could he could be something that Freo don't expect.

...and go in with just the one ruckman against Sandilands & Bradley?

Hotdog60
19-07-2010, 08:00 PM
...and go in with just the one ruckman against Sandilands & Bradley?

Sorry missed that one, Moles out for Roughead if Big Will can't get up.

LostDoggy
19-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Sorry missed that one, Moles out for Roughead if Big Will can't get up.

Bring in 3 players with only about 3 games experience between them all against a top 4 team that will decide our top 4 aspirations? :P

FrediKanoute
19-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Bring in 3 players with only about 3 games experience between them all against a top 4 team that will decide our top 4 aspirations? :P

My thoughts exactly...... not the sort of game you blood players in!

Desipura
20-07-2010, 10:33 AM

Agree that we need to stick with him. If we can get a full season out of him this year (minus the one game) , he can go into 2012 with more confidence in not only himself but his body as well.

Desipura
20-07-2010, 10:36 AM

When was our last left field selection?

Mantis
20-07-2010, 01:35 PM

Line ball decision between Moles and Eagleton for last spot, but I thought Moles was slightly better.

At some point Grant may need a rest and if it is to be this week I would leave Everitt in.

GVGjr
20-07-2010, 06:56 PM

Line ball decision between Moles and Eagleton for last spot, but I thought Moles was slightly better.

At some point Grant may need a rest and if it is to be this week I would leave Everitt in.

I agree with that and like the idea of giving Grant a week to freshen up.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Some notes on selecting the team:

1. Wood has been terrific. Not only has his own form been solid but he has enabled Harbrow to be used further up the ground. That, coupled with Hargrave finding form, is the reason why we are moving the ball faster and covering the ground quicker.

2. The other reason we seem faster is because Mitch Hahn is out of the team. I've been a Hahn fan for years, but the honest assessment of his form in 2010 is that he is a lump. He found the ball just nine times against Hawthorn in a game he was built for and it has been happening most of the year. His form dictates that he is not in our best 22, and I will shoot myself out of a cannon if the match committee betrays the team by bringing an out of form favourite directly back into the seniors.

3. Williams has improved dramatically at getting his fist to the ball. His next step is to get a knee up in some marking contests to impose himself physically on the game. The next little person who tries to stop him from receiving the ball should be nursing their ribs for the next week. His form is reasonable, and a settled defence is a good defence. Keep playing him.

4. Ward's form will continue to improve during the lead up to the finals and he will move from fifteen possession games to twenty five possession games. He needs time.

5. We obviously need Barry.

6. We obviously need Aker. If Akermanis isn't played this week, then something is very, very wrong with this football club. We are either hell-bent on winning a premiership or we are not. If we are, then we play the three time premiership player and Brownlow medallist whose fitness has improved to build his form to prepare for the finals. If we are not, then we may as well throw Harbrow back to Williamstown as he too isn't exactly showing the uncompromising loyalty and dedication that David Smorgan declared on Friday was a must for any Bulldog player to get a game. Any match committee that honestly thinks that Moles or Eagleton's form and match winning potential can hold Akermanis out of the team is delusional. I don't care who doesn't like him or who he has upset. When he plays in our jumper I expect him to be respected as a player and a teammate. If the match committee and leadership group can't work that out, then it is time for Cam Rose (almost invisible throughout the Akermanis saga) to remind all and sundry of their primary responsibilities.

7. Minson's form was steadily improving before his injury. Roughead will fill in for now, but our success this year may well depend on how quickly Will rediscovers that form.

8. Gia's form has been ok in the past month. He might not be getting much of the ball but he has helped our forward line structure.

9. Judging by the passes he regularly sends in Gia's direction; Brad Johnson thinks that Gia is Nick Riewoldt. That quirk aside, we are significantly stronger having our captain back in the team.

10. Picken is a gem.

11. Higgins' form is below standard. He has played three games since his return from injury and should now be showing signs of improvement. I'd rather assess his form after the Fremantle game when he has had a full month back before deciding whether he needs to find form at Williamstown.

Working on the Collingwood theory that you select your team by picking the 22 that you most need to be in it and then noting who has been unlucky to miss out, my team for the Freo game is:

B: Morris. Lake. Hargrave.
HB: Gilbee. Williams. Wood.
C: Griffen. Boyd. Harbrow.
HF: Akermanis. Grant. Murphy.
F: Johnson. Hall. Giansiracusa.
FOLL: Hudson. Cooney. Cross.
INT: Roughead. Picken. Ward. Higgins.

That means that Eagleton, Everett and Moles are the unlucky ones who miss out for Hall, Roughead and Akermanis.

It breaks my heart to drop Everett because the club has treated him appallingly this year, but I can't find someone in that 22 who he will outperform this week. Higgins should be put on notice. There will be genuine talent missing out on a game this week so he had better deliver.

EasternWest
21-07-2010, 07:41 AM

2. The other reason we seem faster is because Mitch Hahn is out of the team. I've been a Hahn fan for years, but the honest assessment of his form in 2010 is that he is a lump. He found the ball just nine times against Hawthorn in a game he was built for and it has been happening most of the year. His form dictates that he is not in our best 22, and I will shoot myself out of a cannon if the match committee betrays the team by bringing an out of form favourite directly back into the seniors.

That means that Eagleton, Everett and Moles are the unlucky ones who miss out for Hall, Roughead and Akermanis.

It breaks my heart to drop Everett because the club has treated him appallingly this year, but I can't find someone in that 22 who he will outperform this week. Higgins should be put on notice. There will be genuine talent missing out on a game this week so he had better deliver.

I hope they pick Hahn just to make it happen :).

And, it's Everitt. Everitt.

chef
21-07-2010, 07:56 AM
6. We obviously need Aker. If Akermanis isn't played this week, then something is very, very wrong with this football club. We are either hell-bent on winning a premiership or we are not. If we are, then we play the three time premiership player and Brownlow medallist whose fitness has improved to build his form to prepare for the finals. If we are not, then we may as well throw Harbrow back to Williamstown as he too isn't exactly showing the uncompromising loyalty and dedication that David Smorgan declared on Friday was a must for any Bulldog player to get a game. Any match committee that honestly thinks that Moles or Eagleton's form and match winning potential can hold Akermanis out of the team is delusional. I don't care who doesn't like him or who he has upset. When he plays in our jumper I expect him to be respected as a player and a teammate. If the match committee and leadership group can't work that out, then it is time for Cam Rose (almost invisible throughout the Akermanis saga) to remind all and sundry of their primary responsibilities.

Do we, why?

Since he's been dropped we have been playing our best football for the year.

GVGjr
21-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Do we, why?

Since he's been dropped we have been playing our best football for the year.

Possibly a way too simplistic piece of analysis.

Minson and Hahn have missed a couple of weeks as well but we shouldn't be saying the team is better off without any of the guys.

chef
21-07-2010, 08:16 AM

Minson and Hahn have missed a couple of weeks as well but we shouldn't be saying the team is better off without any of the guys.

Fair enough. Do you think it's a coincidence?

comrade
21-07-2010, 09:11 AM

That being said, we're clearly better off without Hahn in my opinion.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 12:24 PM

1. Wood has been terrific. Not only has his own form been solid but he has enabled Harbrow to be used further up the ground. That, coupled with Hargrave finding form, is the reason why we are moving the ball faster and covering the ground quicker.

3. Williams has improved dramatically at getting his fist to the ball. His next step is to get a knee up in some marking contests to impose himself physically on the game. The next little person who tries to stop him from receiving the ball should be nursing their ribs for the next week. His form is reasonable, and a settled defence is a good defence. Keep playing him.

4. Ward's form will continue to improve during the lead up to the finals and he will move from fifteen possession games to twenty five possession games. He needs time.

5. We obviously need Barry.

7. Minson's form was steadily improving before his injury. Roughead will fill in for now, but our success this year may well depend on how quickly Will rediscovers that form.

8. Gia's form has been ok in the past month. He might not be getting much of the ball but he has helped our forward line structure.

9. Judging by the passes he regularly sends in Gia's direction; Brad Johnson thinks that Gia is Nick Riewoldt. That quirk aside, we are significantly stronger having our captain back in the team.

10. Picken is a gem.

11. Higgins' form is below standard. He has played three games since his return from injury and should now be showing signs of improvement. I'd rather assess his form after the Fremantle game when he has had a full month back before deciding whether he needs to find form at Williamstown.

Working on the Collingwood theory that you select your team by picking the 22 that you most need to be in it and then noting who has been unlucky to miss out, my team for the Freo game is:

B: Morris. Lake. Hargrave.
HB: Gilbee. Williams. Wood.
C: Griffen. Boyd. Harbrow.
HF: Akermanis. Grant. Murphy.
F: Johnson. Hall. Giansiracusa.
FOLL: Hudson. Cooney. Cross.
INT: Roughead. Picken. Ward. Higgins.

Dear The Rocket,

I have never agreed with a post so much in my life, you have hit the nail on the head in every area here and have taken the words out of my mouth. The only thing I would add is that Tom Williams kicking has gotten markedly better despite the odd mistake. Everitt very very unlucky.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 01:46 PM
That being said, we're clearly better off without Hahn in my opinion.

And Stack

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Some interesting points The Rocket but I think you are way off the mark with the above.
Aker is in the same boat as Eagleton, Hahn etc, an older player at the fringes of our best 22 fighting for the last spot or two with about 4 or 5 other players. (Moles, Everitt, Hahn, Eagle etc) .
There is nothing very very wrong with this club if he is not getting a game.

Your points on Hahn and us looking quicker without him can be equally applied to Aker.
If we need more midfield grunt then we are obviously going to go with Moles over Aker.

We have to get the balance right of older/younger players and also midfielders /forwards.
Wood, Ward (finding touch now) and Moles on the weekend make a MASSIVE difference to our team in terms of physical prescence, ability to make it to contests/apply pressure and fearless attack on the ball. They are near or at their prime and make us a far tougher and more competitive side.

In short I think the Aker you are thinking of is in the past, and the 2010 version may no longer be in our best 22.
He needs to keep working hard, just like Eagle has, and he will get his chance, depending on matchups, form (his own and others) and injuries.
If Johnno were to go down again for example you would play him.

Throughandthrough
21-07-2010, 02:25 PM
SmorgOn

NB just read that Pavlich in doubt. Stuffs my Super Coach team up :)

The Coon Dog
21-07-2010, 02:32 PM
SmorgOn

NB just read that Pavlich in doubt. Stuffs my Super Coach team up :)

Stuff your bloody SC team!!!!! ;)

He's in mine too along with Sandilands, but I'd be happy to take one for the team if either were to miss!

Throughandthrough
21-07-2010, 03:19 PM
and Barry is an in. WHat a surprise...

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Some interesting points The Rocket but I think you are way off the mark with the above.
Aker is in the same boat as Eagleton, Hahn etc, an older player at the fringes of our best 22 fighting for the last spot or two with about 4 or 5 other players. (Moles, Everitt, Hahn, Eagle etc) .
There is nothing very very wrong with this club if he is not getting a game.

Your points on Hahn and us looking quicker without him can be equally applied to Aker.
If we need more midfield grunt then we are obviously going to go with Moles over Aker.

Nice counter points frank.

I agree with you in parts but it's unfair to compare Hahn and Aker. Why? One guy had 14-15 weeks of ordinary football whilst the other missed a few games and reportedly had an injury. Aker's done his 'time' in the VFL, performed well enough - he should be brought in if for no other reason than to see if he's truly going to offer us anything in the finals.

No point bringing Akermanis in Round 20. He'll need a few weeks to be fairly judged on his performances. I don't want us to have to make a 'hard call' come week 1 of finals. It's either a certainty Aker plays because of his form, or a certainty he doesn't because he's simply not good enough (ditto Hahn).

This is the perfect week to throw the challenge back to Aker. We're playing for a top four position and we've got 6 games to go. It means the next 3 weeks are make (or break) for him.

We have to get the balance right of older/younger players and also midfielders /forwards.
Wood, Ward (finding touch now) and Moles on the weekend make a MASSIVE difference to our team in terms of physical prescence, ability to make it to contests/apply pressure and fearless attack on the ball. They are near or at their prime and make us a far tougher and more competitive side.

Definitely agree with this. No doubt we CANNOT play Hahn and Aker in the same side. I'd much rather we put our faith in the latter, a proven performer in finals at the very least. Even at his best, Hahn struggled to influence big games.

Wood has been very important and is offering us a lot. Needs to tidy up his disposal though. It's the only thing keeping him from cementing a spot in the 22. Moles is an interesting one - he's done some good things, played some solid games. I could see his ball handling being a great advantage v a Geelong/St. Kilda in the finals, but to date he hasn't been able to play too well against good sides. Decent back-up but there's a few before him IMO.

Mofra
21-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Moles is an interesting one - he's done some good things, played some solid games. I could see his ball handling being a great advantage v a Geelong/St. Kilda in the finals, but to date he hasn't been able to play too well against good sides. Decent back-up but there's a few before him IMO.
I think Moles' disposal under pressure is supect, which is the only real query on him. He can certainly find the ball and there is no problem with his hardness or tank, but I'm not sure he can be more than a depth player until he tightens his disposal up.

bornadog
21-07-2010, 06:18 PM
I think Moles' disposal under pressure is supect, which is the only real query on him. He can certainly find the ball and there is no problem with his hardness or tank, but I'm not sure he can be more than a depth player until he tightens his disposal up.

Totally agree, his disposal lets him down big time.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Count Aker out of contention...

mjp
21-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Comments from a Freo fan about team composition:
===========
Pavlich will play.

Silvagni is out, Mayne is out, Crowley is 50-50, Tarrant is in also doubt, but Grover will come back in.

Sedat
21-07-2010, 06:31 PM

One less runner after the Darwin match? Does Williams have a decent match-up down back? I'd be more inclined to drop Williams for match-up purposes and keep the extra runner for this week.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Comments from a Freo fan about team composition:
===========
Pavlich will play.

Silvagni is out, Mayne is out, Crowley is 50-50, Tarrant is in also doubt, but Grover will come back in.

Tarrant out would be good.

Grover? Who cares?

mjp
21-07-2010, 06:35 PM
One less runner after the Darwin match? Does Williams have a decent match-up down back? I'd be more inclined to drop Williams for match-up purposes and keep the extra runner for this week.

Agree. We are at our best when we have tonnes of run...we need numbers to throw at them.

GVGjr
21-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Fair enough. Do you think it's a coincidence?

Perhaps or maybe just the quality of the opposition.
The Blues have been dreadful and Port are on a very poor run.

becmatty
22-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Well, with Aker sadly sacked (gutted, by the way), I think Eade's call for two changes is likely.

Hall and either Minson or Roughy to return.

Everitt and one of either Moles, Eagleton, Wood or Grant will be the unfortunate ones. Tough call, I'd say Moles unfortunately, though I am a fan...

Desipura
22-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Well, with Aker sadly sacked (gutted, by the way), I think Eade's call for two changes is likely.

Hall and either Minson or Roughy to return.

Everitt and one of either Moles, Eagleton, Wood or Grant will be the unfortunate ones. Tough call, I'd say Moles unfortunately, though I am a fan...

I do not think Minson who has not played for 2 weeks would come straight back in. The big fella would need at least a game at Williamstown.
Moles should play, Eagle & Everitt to be demoted

becmatty
23-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Well, with the extended bench, it is looking like it will pan out similar to many WOOFer predictions.

Everitt will make way for Roughy. With Bazza back, it is till a line ball between Moles, Eagleton and Moles it would seem, as Ward shouldn't lose his place, and Addison is there to simply make up he numbers at this stage...