PDA

View Full Version : Hardie Vs Harbrow?

becmatty
19-07-2010, 03:16 AM
Last week I compared two champion Full Forwards - Beaza and Bazza - and it seems that most WOOFers are leaning towards The Pieman as their preferred player.

But who would you choose out of arguably our two best back pocket players in the last 25 years?

Hardie or Harbrow?

Compare their resumes:

Brad Hardie: Played 150 VFL/AFL Games and snagged 222 goals, including 47 games and 28 goals for the Doggies. This included the 1985 Brownlow Medal in his debut year, followed by the Bulldogs' Best and Fairest Award in 1986. Hardie wasn't known for his pace or accountability (he would often drift up the field and leave his man unguarded, which eventually led to Mick Malthouse dragging him from the field, and Hardie subsequently leaving the club), but had an uncanny knack of finding space and making opponents look silly.

Hardie could read the play better than most, was a champion ball magnet and regular state representitive.

Jarrod Harbrow: Has played 64 Games and snagged 21 goals for the Doggies. His pace, supreme skills, toughness and courage make him the ideal modern footballer. With each game, Harbrow's reputation grows and with the Gold Coast football club circling like a vulture, the Bulldog faithful is praying it can retain the services of this pint-sized star, who could go on to be a club great.

So who would you choose?

bornadog
19-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Both players are similar in that they both play the way football is played in their era. Hardie was a fantastic play maker and his disposal and creativity was outstanding leading him to a Brownlow. Harbrow is just as creative and his running, weaving and dodging makes him very exciting. The only thing that lets him down is his delivery sometimes leads to turnovers as he tends to blaze away a bit.

At this stage, I would pick Hardie as he has the Brownlow under his belt, but then again Mickmalthouse picked Harbrow to win it this year.

becmatty
20-07-2010, 08:17 AM
I have a soft spot for the class of '85.

Hardie gets my vote, though Harbrow is closing in...

chef
20-07-2010, 08:50 AM
I would go with Harbrow as Hardies unaccountability would kill us on the rebound(plus with his lack of pace he would be found out a bit).

The defence has to be a team within a team these days and can't afford a loose cannon running around doing what ever he wants.

Ghost Dog
20-07-2010, 08:51 AM
The only thing that lets him down is his delivery sometimes leads to turnovers as he tends to blaze away a bit.

Right. I have seen him 'bullet' passes down player's throats.
Remember one of his to Jhonno in the Bris game that almost had to be surgically removed from our captain's chest. :)
It's his composure, needs to take his time a bit and lower his eyes a IMO

bornadog
20-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I would go with Harbrow as Hardies unaccountability would kill us on the rebound(plus with his lack of pace he would be found out a bit).

The defence has to be a team within a team these days and can't afford a loose cannon running around doing what ever he wants.

Did you watch much footy in 1985/86?

chef
20-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Did you watch much footy in 1985/86?

I did, but I was young(and my memory of him as a player isn't the best).

bornadog
20-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I did, but I was young(and my memory of him as a player isn't the best).

He won the brownlow in 85 and B&F in 86, pretty good player. Harbrow is young and may achieve more, eventually.