PDA

View Full Version : Gia v/s Aker

Bulldog4332
19-07-2010, 10:41 PM
After watching many games this year (and the second quarter from willy on saturday) I have been alarmed at Gia's slow decline as a small forward. I feel he must be carrying a groin or something as he seldom leaves the forward Line. I am a Gia basher as I just cannot forgive him passing to Johno at the Saints game this year. However, he is part of the woodwork and says all the right things. His stint as captain finished with Boyd taking over and I know that Johno has groomed him for captain.

HOWEVER, enough is enough, a small forward must be able to slot goals (yes he kicked one in Darwin) and be super slick in his disposal. Yes there are many here who will point out his goal assists but from my point of view he is not doing near enough. Do we think he will kick 3/4/5 goals in a game - no, will slot the long goal at a crucial time in a final from 45 - no, will he turn something from nothing - no. Can he take turn in the middle - not much recently. Higgins whilst also not doing much is ahead of Gia because if he gets a ball inside 50 will goal more often than not.

So for me it comes down to a really tricky dilemma, Aker can do everthing Gia can do on the field but better. Gia is miles ahead of Aker in team harmony etc. So what should the MC do, Aker with his diminisehd but superior skills or Gia with his solid pure bulldog ethic.

Maybe it is time for Eade to send the MESSAGE, no one is safe and no one is going to stop us.

GVGjr
19-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Whilst I agree that Giansiracusa has been down on form for the last couple of weeks, I think his form this season has been quite good. More than happy to stick with him.

AndrewP6
19-07-2010, 11:06 PM
I haven't minded Gia's work this season. I do think we need Aker on the park soon, if he's going to play a part in any September action, but not at Gia's expense.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2010, 11:29 PM
I constantly defend Gia to others but I think it might be due to consistently having lower expectations of him than most of our fans.

There are a few reasons to drop players but I am not sure any apply to Gia.

Despite struggling, I think he is in our best 22.

I definitely don't think he is the in the category of 'learning a lesson' type that can find added motivation after getting dropped.

Then there's the greater good and feeling of the team. Gia seems like one of, if not the most, respected players off field at the club while Aker is well, Aker.

Flamethrower
20-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Gia's role has changed recently. He is playing the defensive forward role, often tagging the opposition's "quarterback"/playmaker at the expense of his own game.

Aker plays a different role when he is in the team - high forward. Playing further up the field meant that Jason was kicking fewer goals but having more score assists and leaving plenty of space for Baz to lead into.

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Talking off field performance, even though Aker has put himself in an odd spot, I'm not liking the comments Gia has had to say about Aker.

immortalmike
20-07-2010, 02:45 AM
... Do we think he will kick 3/4/5 goals in a game - no, will slot the long goal at a crucial time in a final from 45 - no, will he turn something from nothing - no. Can he take turn in the middle - not much recently. Higgins whilst also not doing much is ahead of Gia because if he gets a ball inside 50 will goal more often than not...

Firstly, Gia has often kicked bags of 3 or 4 goals his whole career. Secondly, no he probably won't be the guy who slots the long goal but he most likely be the one who gives another player that opportunity in space and under less pressure. Thirdly, he has been playing a defensive forward role (something we have needed for years) so he has had his hands full with that. Lastly, while I'm a huge fan of Shaun (more so when he's fit) he has been extremely disappointing this year especially when it comes to kicking for goal on the run and I'm not sure anyone can pick on Gia's finishing, seriously he's half man half cappuccino:D.

I have no idea why people continually pick on Gia, he's always at least okay and sacrifices his game to play an extremely hard role as a defensive forward pocket. As we all have seen when Boyd went down Gia took up his role with aplomb and racked up the stats, the guy is the anti-Aker in many ways, he could demand a spot in the middle but instead he is unselfish and plays his role and works his arse off every week. I guess I just don't see alot to criticize him for.

MrMahatma
20-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Aker is a better footballer than Gia. If our team can't put personality aside and we can't pick the best players, we'll never win a flag.

stefoid
20-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Aker is working on a kiss and tell book, according to the Hun. Ill bet he slags off Johno.

Ghost Dog
20-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Aker is working on a kiss and tell book, according to the Hun. Ill bet he slags off Johno.

I read this also. If he decides to go the way of embittered commentator he will very much regret it. Stay positive Aker.

The OP raises some interesting points. If we were talking about 2008 Aker I would agree.
2010 Aker, still has the twitch fibers but will lag a bit now. Close call.
One game at a time now. Gia did ok last week and is more versatile than Jason on game day?
( back, mid, forward )

chef
20-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Aker is a better footballer than Gia. If our team can't put personality aside and we can't pick the best players, we'll never win a flag.

Was.

He's not the player he used to be and I would rather Gia any day in their current form.

chef
20-07-2010, 08:53 AM

I'm sure he won't let the truth get in the way of what he thinks has happened.

Curly5
20-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Talking off field performance, even though Aker has put himself in an odd spot, I'm not liking the comments Gia has had to say about Aker.

What were they?

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 10:35 AM
For mine Gia is a bit inconsistent - flows in and out of games - looks a little propy at the mo also. That said, he is currently 3rd on dogs goal kicking - can't drop him - especially if Hall doesn't come up this week.

I do think the side needs a freshen up though. Whether Aker is the answer - still unsure. If he does get a game and struggles it will be his last.

Mofra
20-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Was.

He's not the player he used to be and I would rather Gia any day in their current form.
Exactly what I was going to say. Gia is still playing his role - I noticed late in the 3rd & 4th quarters he was directing traffic in the F50 when (presumably) most were too tired to strictly stick to the plan instinctively.

Gia will probably finish inside the top ten in our B&F, Aker wont (even if he wasn't missing games).

Ghost Dog
20-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Exactly what I was going to say. Gia is still playing his role - I noticed late in the 3rd & 4th quarters he was directing traffic in the F50 when (presumably) most were too tired to strictly stick to the plan instinctively.

Gia will probably finish inside the top ten in our B&F, Aker wont (even if he wasn't missing games).

Valid view. Still, Jason's goal sense come prime time is a valuable commodity. Oranges and apples.

Don't envy the MC this week. They must go through a lot of coffee.

stefoid
20-07-2010, 11:15 AM
We need to get the ball into his hands more often. When he has it, good things happen.

stefoid
20-07-2010, 11:25 AM
something to consider - in terms of averages per game

aker is leading the stat for scoring involvement
is 2nd on the list for scoring assists.
is 7th in the list for tackles
and tops the list for goal assists

And thats when he hasnt been playing that well himself (i.e. kicked 9.9 in 9 games)

Can we afford the luxury of the moral high ground given our lack of dangerous small forwards at the moment?

Ozza
20-07-2010, 11:42 AM
something to consider - in terms of averages per game

aker is leading the stat for scoring involvement
is 2nd on the list for scoring assists.
is 7th in the list for tackles
and tops the list for goal assists

And thats when he hasnt been playing that well himself (i.e. kicked 9.9 in 9 games)

Can we afford the luxury of the moral high ground given our lack of dangerous small forwards at the moment?

Stefoid can you clarify the bolded part for me? Aker has kicked 2.7 this year - what does the 9.9 refer to?

It doesn't bother me overly if Aker isn't in this weekend. If Hall is back then I'm happy with the look of our fwd line. If Aker completely knocks down the door for selection - then great - but the fwd line worked very well v Carlton.

BulldogBelle
20-07-2010, 12:19 PM
What were they?

I'd love to know this too. I've heard it mentioned about 3 times but never actually found out the quote or the source.

I want Aker and Gia both in the team!

Greystache
20-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Aker over Gia late 2010- No
Aker over Higgins late 2010- Probably

Aker over either late 2001- definitely

stefoid
20-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Stefoid can you clarify the bolded part for me? Aker has kicked 2.7 this year - what does the 9.9 refer to?

It doesn't bother me overly if Aker isn't in this weekend. If Hall is back then I'm happy with the look of our fwd line. If Aker completely knocks down the door for selection - then great - but the fwd line worked very well v Carlton.

Sorry, typo.

To be fair, Carlton were shyte. We need to win a game where the opposition puts pressure on us. Hawthorn has probably been our best performance for the year, even though we lost.

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 04:00 PM
What were they?

They were more indirect comments rather then direct. I.e saying that the club is bigger then any individual and he doesn't want to play with players who think they are bigger then the club.

Don't quote me on that but it was along those lines. And IMO that's being negative in what was already a negative situation.

chef
20-07-2010, 04:07 PM
They were more indirect comments rather then direct. I.e saying that the club is bigger then any individual and he doesn't want to play with players who think they are bigger then the club.
Don't quote me on that but it was along those lines. And IMO that's being negative in what was already a negative situation.

When did Gia say this?

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 05:33 PM
It was a few weeks ago but he said it on one of those footy shows on during the day. May have been game day on ch. 7 but can't remember 100%. But changed my opinion for his push to be captain.

Remi Moses
20-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately it looks like Aker on the field is detrimental to our side. Like it or not in the current era leadership groups and ticking boxes and towing the team line has never been more prevelant.I'm dumbfounded why Jason would be bringing out a book when he's still playing!Negative views on his club and teammates is sticking the final nail in his coffin,this just mirrors his dying days at Brissie.Been quiet the last few weeks has Gia and needs a bug one in a big game ala this week.

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Sorry, typo.

To be fair, Carlton were shyte. We need to win a game where the opposition puts pressure on us. Hawthorn has probably been our best performance for the year, even though we lost.

Agree 100%. Was a great effort. And we'll be playing the same game this weekend — let's hope we improve again on the results.

Unfortunately it looks like Aker on the field is detrimental to our side. Like it or not in the current era leadership groups and ticking boxes and towing the team line has never been more prevelant.I'm dumbfounded why Jason would be bringing out a book when he's still playing!Negative views on his club and teammates is sticking the final nail in his coffin,this just mirrors his dying days at Brissie.Been quiet the last few weeks has Gia and needs a bug one in a big game ala this week.

Leadership groups, ticking boxes and towing the team line are off-field issues.

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 07:33 PM
If Aker was in blistering form he would be in the team.
He's not, so he aint.

MrMahatma
20-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Was.

As a small fwd I still think he is. Gia had a good game in midfield when Boyd was out - but as a small fwd hasn't set the world alight. His numbers may be OK - but I'd hazard most of his goals have been Junk time.

Remi Moses
20-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Agree 100%. Was a great effort. And we'll be playing the same game this weekend — let's hope we improve again on the results.

Leadership groups, ticking boxes and towing the team line are off-field issues.

You miss the point in that off field matters do effect on field performance and right now the players don't trust Aker and are tiresome of the continual off field distractions.

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 08:44 PM
As a small fwd I still think he is. Gia had a good game in midfield when Boyd was out - but as a small fwd hasn't set the world alight. His numbers may be OK - but I'd hazard most of his goals have been Junk time.

Your guessing because you are anti Gia.

Scorlibo
20-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Fairly dumb thread.

In reference to the OP,

"Small forwards must be able to slot goals" - Why? If he's making play which results in goals, isn't that just the same? Individual goal tallies are massively overrated.

"be super slick in his disposal" - Apart from Higgins and Murphy when they're in form (rarely), Gia is easily our most dangerous player with his disposal, he assesses situations very quickly and his kicks are excellently weighted.

"slot the crucial goal from 45 in a final" - It's not like any player gets the opportunity to prove themselves in this situation that often, so it's a pretty silly argument. In any case if this situation did arise, I'd want the ball in Gia's hands.

"can he take turn in the middle?" - Of course he can, he proved that when Boyd was out, becoming an elite midfielder in his absence.

"Aker can do everything on the field that Gia can but better" - Aker goes missing for massive parts of games, does not consistently hit targets inside fifty the way Gia does, and struggles to beat good opponents where Gia thrives. I would take Gia every day of the week.

He has been our best forward this year, maybe even best forward for the last 3-4 years, he is a true leader, perhaps future captain of the club, he will not, and should not, be dropped.

AndrewP6
20-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Fairly dumb thread.

Fairly harsh appraisal!

He has been our best forward this year, maybe even best forward for the last 3-4 years, he is a true leader, perhaps future captain of the club, he will not, and should not, be dropped.

Gia our best forward? Hall's 54 goals not good enough this year? Or Johnno leading the tally in recent years... I don't disagree with the bulk of your post, but isn't calling him our best forward a teeny bit generous?

chef
20-07-2010, 09:02 PM

He has still preformed a hell of a lot better than Aker this season.

chef
20-07-2010, 09:04 PM
"Small forwards must be able to slot goals" - Why? If he's making play which results in goals, isn't that just the same? Individual goal tallies are massively overrated.

"be super slick in his disposal" - Apart from Higgins and Murphy when they're in form (rarely), Gia is easily our most dangerous player with his disposal, he assesses situations very quickly and his kicks are excellently weighted.

"slot the crucial goal from 45 in a final" - It's not like any player gets the opportunity to prove themselves in this situation that often, so it's a pretty silly argument. In any case if this situation did arise, I'd want the ball in Gia's hands.

"can he take turn in the middle?" - Of course he can, he proved that when Boyd was out, becoming an elite midfielder in his absence.

"Aker can do everything on the field that Gia can but better" - Aker goes missing for massive parts of games, does not consistently hit targets inside fifty the way Gia does, and struggles to beat good opponents where Gia thrives. I would take Gia every day of the week.

I agree with all of this^^.

The Coon Dog
20-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Gia has kicked 18 goals this season.

Breakdown as follows:

1st qtr goals: 4
2nd qtr goals: 7
3rd qtr goals: 3
4th qtr goals: 4

Hardly junk time goals there!

chef
20-07-2010, 09:12 PM

Breakdown as follows:

Have you got his assists stat too TCD?

Bulldog4332
20-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Fairly dumb thread.

Thanks, appreciate your considered opinion. Have had about 20 or so serious comments about the thread.
In reference to the OP,

If small forwards do not slot goals then you lose finals- see schneider and milne as case in points. One thing I saw for the first time this year is how HALL wants to kick goals, if he gets it on the ground you know he will wheel and try to kick the goal. It is refreshing. If small forwards do not try to get goals then what are they doing?

Have a look at his disposal efficiency, it is poor. He often misses targets both by hand and foot. It works like this, Gia tries to spot up a leading target, misses and then slaps his thigh. It happens all the time.

You did not watch the carlton game, 45 out refused to shoot, pass to hall on much worse angle, point. I am not sure if you have seen any games this year Gia will not kick from 40 out, again in presure cooker finals you just do not get the chance to finesse with another pass 25 out in front. Come on, chapman kicks from 50, my whole post was in the context of finals.

I think one good game about 10 weeks ago. He has not rotated thought the middle for a long time. Yes cameos but not constantly.

You are dreaming. Most posters have pointed to Gia's new defensive role, there is some merit in this but that means he no longer poses a true offensive threat.

He will never be captain, should never be captain, he does not have the persona or gravitas, BOYD is the man.

OK, so our best forward line is HALL, MURPHY, JOHNO, HIGGINS, GRANT and another small forward- the original question I posed still remains, who will win the grandfinal, Gia or Aker.

Scorlibo
20-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Fairly harsh appraisal!

Gia our best forward? Hall's 54 goals not good enough this year? Or Johnno leading the tally in recent years... I don't disagree with the bulk of your post, but isn't calling him our best forward a teeny bit generous?

I don't think much of goal tallies, and ignoring what Barry offers structurally, he himself has had too many very quiet games to be considered our best forward. Obviously every team needs players who can actually kick the goals and convert good play to the scoreboard, I appreciate that, but I generally find that players who can consistently create the said 'good play' are rarer and more valuable than those who can consistently convert said 'good play' to goals.

Johnno was definitely our most dangerous forward 3-4 years ago, but lately does much of his good work up the ground while Gia has been the best assist player in the league in that time.

AndrewP6
20-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't think much of goal tallies, and ignoring what Barry offers structurally, he himself has had too many very quiet games to be considered our best forward. Obviously every team needs players who can actually kick the goals and convert good play to the scoreboard, I appreciate that, but I generally find that players who can consistently create the said 'good play' are rarer and more valuable than those who can consistently convert said 'good play' to goals.

Johnno was definitely our most dangerous forward 3-4 years ago, but lately does much of his good work up the ground while Gia has been the best assist player in the league in that time.

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...I think Hall has been our best forward this year by a mile. Even when his goalkicking output has been down, his tackling and defensive efforts have been there. I wouldn't have said he had that many very quiet games - a few, sure, but who hasn't? His ability to create a contest is, IMO unmatched this year, and if I had to choose one to give the ball to in the F50, he'd be the one. Not to discredit Gia's work, I'm a fan of his, but to me, Bazza's the one.

EasternWest
20-07-2010, 09:54 PM
He will never be captain, should never be captain, he does not have the persona or gravitas, BOYD is the man.

OK, so our best forward line is HALL, MURPHY, JOHNO, HIGGINS, GRANT and another small forward- the original question I posed still remains, who will win the grandfinal, Gia or Aker.

It's true. Aker was a big influence in the finals last year :rolleyes:.

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 10:05 PM

Breakdown as follows:

Thanks TCD

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 10:06 PM

Dude, good play doesn't win games. Goals do. Forwards who kick goals therefore are very popular for some reason, and ones who don't, sublime skills notwithstanding, aren't.

Case in point: Ask a St Kilda fan immediately after the Granny last year what their thoughts on Milney were.

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Gia needs to loosen up a lot. Did anyone see his overly serious face straight after the game last Saturday night? He doesn't seem to be enjoying his footy at all. He only seems to smile for the social pages lately!!

Scorlibo
20-07-2010, 10:26 PM
If small forwards do not slot goals then you lose finals- see schneider and milne as case in points. One thing I saw for the first time this year is how HALL wants to kick goals, if he gets it on the ground you know he will wheel and try to kick the goal. It is refreshing. If small forwards do not try to get goals then what are they doing?

:rolleyes: If you kick more goals than the opposition then you win. It doesn't matter who kicks them, if the small forwards don't kick them, but others do, then who cares? A goal is a goal is a goal. Gia is a very different type of player to Milne and to a lesser extent, Schneider, he is not expected to be the typical, front and centre roving small forward, he is there to be creative, smart and to create goals, even if he doesn't kick them himself. Conversely, Barry's role within the team is very goal-centric, his bull-at-a-gate goal hunger is great, he is in the team to do that, but that doesn't mean that Gia's more considered approach towards goals isn't just as effective in creating goals for the team.

Have a look at his disposal efficiency, it is poor. He often misses targets both by hand and foot. It works like this, Gia tries to spot up a leading target, misses and then slaps his thigh. It happens all the time.

Disposal efficiency is a poor indicator, Gia does most of his work around the fifty, which is obviously the area of the ground with the highest turnover rate, if he can have 5 effective inside fifties in a game, he will have been a very good contributor. Having just looked at his disposal efficiency, I can say that it has only dropped below 60% once this season, and has been above 70% in 11 games, which is a very good return for someone who plays his position, some of the best kicking defenders in the competition only average around 80% DE.

You did not watch the carlton game, 45 out refused to shoot, pass to hall on much worse angle, point. I am not sure if you have seen any games this year Gia will not kick from 40 out, again in presure cooker finals you just do not get the chance to finesse with another pass 25 out in front. Come on, chapman kicks from 50, my whole post was in the context of finals.

Correction: I was at the Carlton game. I do not recall the incident you are referring to, but I would hazard a guess that most of the time when Gia chooses to give it off from within range, it turns out very well for the team.

I think one good game about 10 weeks ago. He has not rotated thought the middle for a long time. Yes cameos but not constantly.

Whose fault is that? He played through the middle 10 weeks ago when Boyd was out, since then Rocket has had more midfield options and has had the luxury of playing Gia around the fifty

You are dreaming. Most posters have pointed to Gia's new defensive role, there is some merit in this but that means he no longer poses a true offensive threat.

That is simply not true, often being a defensive forward means reading the play well enough to burn your opponent offensively when they choose to run off you - thus making them second guess about running off of you again. Higgo and Gia do it very well.

Neither, it is the team that wins games not any individual, and as Gia has done far more for the team than Aker this year, and as this year's games are the only indication we have of who will perform best in a Grand Final, AND as a Grand Final is purely a hypothetical at this stage, Gia>Aker.

Satisfied?

Scorlibo
20-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Dude, good play doesn't win games. Goals do. Forwards who kick goals therefore are very popular for some reason, and ones who don't, sublime skills notwithstanding, aren't.

Case in point: Ask a St Kilda fan immediately after the Granny last year what their thoughts on Milney were.

What is the bigger contributor to any given goal? The one effective kick by the goal-scorer, or the long chain of good play which preceeded it?

When a goal is kicked, although the goal is credited to the goal-scorer, there are many players who had a bigger hand in the scoring of the 6 points.

Stephen Milne's role within the team is as a goal-scorer, so of course if he doesn't kick goals in a game, it is likely that he hasn't performed very well. If Adam Cooney doesn't kick a goal in any given game, then is it likely that he has performed as badly as, or worse than, Milne? Of course not. Similarly, Gia should not be judged by the amount of goals he kicks just because he falls under the same title ('small-forward') as Milne. Surely you understand this?

Ghost Dog
20-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...I think Hall has been our best forward this year by a mile. Even when his goalkicking output has been down, his tackling and defensive efforts have been there. I wouldn't have said he had that many very quiet games - a few, sure, but who hasn't? His ability to create a contest is, IMO unmatched this year, and if I had to choose one to give the ball to in the F50, he'd be the one. Not to discredit Gia's work, I'm a fan of his, but to me, Bazza's the one.

Agreed. :)

Frankly, Aker has better natural ability than Gia, but the dye in his goatee is starting to fade.
Gia presents more options and somebody might actually listen to him when he directs traffic>?:rolleyes:as opposed to Jase.

As a member I would not mind playing a slightly less talented -than JAkermanis-t younger future bulldogs kid in a final series. It could set that player alight ( Wood, Everitt etc) set them up for a great career with the dogs, valuable experience.
Anyway, If Aker is there, I'll be behind him.

Andrew, I'm with you. Barry is the former captain - work ethic in the chase and confidence sends the ghosts of whitten oval running for cover - simply inspires huge confidence in this team. Bow to Bazza!

The Coon Dog
20-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Have you got his assists stat too TCD?

No, unfortunately, just went back through the games played this year where I mark my goal kickers (colour coded so I know which quarters they were kicked in).

immortalmike
21-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Seriously I have enjoyed Aker's tenure at the club and hope he finds a way back in the 22. But can someone name one big game that he has stood up in for us. I'm not sure where he gets his reputation as a big game player. He has not played well in a final for us apart from a couple of junk time goals against Hawthorn in the Elimination final.

MrMahatma
21-07-2010, 05:14 AM
Your guessing because you are anti Gia.
Not anti Gia, just think Aker is better as a small fwd. As a link player across the centre I think Gia is very good.

Curly5
21-07-2010, 12:17 PM
It was a few weeks ago but he said it on one of those footy shows on during the day. May have been game day on ch. 7 but can't remember 100%. But changed my opinion for his push to be captain.

Bob Murphy said the same sort of thing in his Hall of Fame speech, and also in one of his newspaper articles. I'd say Gia's probably delivering the unanimous verdict of the leadership group.

The Coon Dog
21-07-2010, 12:24 PM
The way this is headed is so reminiscent of his parting at Brisbane.

I bet we even get the 'if Aker isn't selected I'm not renewing my membership' mentality.

Greystache
21-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Seriously I have enjoyed Aker's tenure at the club and hope he finds a way back in the 22. But can someone name one big game that he has stood up in for us. I'm not sure where he gets his reputation as a big game player. He has not played well in a final for us apart from a couple of junk time goals against Hawthorn in the Elimination final.

He gets his reputation from his Brisbane days and a lot of our supporters are happy to just keep on rolling out the same line. I agree with you, in the 4 finals he played in against top 4 sides for the Bulldogs he hasn't played well in any of them let alone won them off his own boot, but if you want to go down that track you're going to be torn apart by some die hard supporters on here because several of our crowd favorite senior players should equally have the finger pointed squarely at them too.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Bulldog 4332

Disposal efficency 2010:

Gia - 72.8% - 12th of all players

Aker - 66% - 27th of all players

Mofra
21-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Disposal efficency 2010:

Quite telling stats, considering Gia played as a proxy inside midfielder in Boyd's absence early in the season.

The best single piece of play I have seen this seen was by Gia, under pressure in the first Hawks game.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 04:17 PM
What is the bigger contributor to any given goal? The one effective kick by the goal-scorer, or the long chain of good play which preceeded it?

When a goal is kicked, although the goal is credited to the goal-scorer, there are many players who had a bigger hand in the scoring of the 6 points.

Stephen Milne's role within the team is as a goal-scorer, so of course if he doesn't kick goals in a game, it is likely that he hasn't performed very well. If Adam Cooney doesn't kick a goal in any given game, then is it likely that he has performed as badly as, or worse than, Milne? Of course not. Similarly, Gia should not be judged by the amount of goals he kicks just because he falls under the same title ('small-forward') as Milne. Surely you understand this?

But the whole point of this thread is that we need a small forward and Gia, as you say, does not fit the need because, as I say, he's not kicking goals. We're probably arguing the same point in different ways perhaps.

Scorlibo
21-07-2010, 05:05 PM
But the whole point of this thread is that we need a small forward and Gia, as you say, does not fit the need because, as I say, he's not kicking goals. We're probably arguing the same point in different ways perhaps.

As I understand it, the whole point of this thread was/is not that we need a crumbing forward (use crumbing as a descriptor, because Gia is a very good small forward, despite not fitting in the crumbing mould), but rather to vent frustration at Aker's continued stint at Willy by saying that he is better than one of our best forwards.

The reason Gia does not 'fit the need' for a crumbing forward is because he is not a crumbing forward, he is not played in that role, and thus no one should expect him to be that player.

You say:

Gia no good. Gia small forward. Small forward need kick goals.

I say:

Gia good. Gia make more goal than any other forward. Gia not crumber. Gia no need kick goals.

We're not agreeing;).

Ozza
21-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Aker's been sacked - so i guess we don't have to worry!

(I'd have Gia first anyway!).

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Aker's been sacked - so i guess we don't have to worry!

(I'd have Gia first anyway!).

Me too

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Even though it was on the cards, the decision still is a bit of a shock

MrMahatma
21-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Wow!

Who were we talking about again....?

Bulldog4332
21-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Wow!

Who were we talking about again....?

I officially request that this thread which I started be consigned to the dustbin.

Bulldog4332
21-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Bulldog 4332

Disposal efficency 2010:

I have asked for this thread to be closed but I cannot resist, so our leading small forward (or small goal making/creating forward) is not in the top 11 disposers of the pill. Take out Hudson and Minson so Gia is not in the top 13 players, gee that sort of makes my point I believe. He does not kick goals, he cannot hit targets so that leaves him with tackles and shepherds, I suppose you will pull out the 1% stats.

Scorlibo
21-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I have asked for this thread to be closed but I cannot resist, so our leading small forward (or small goal making/creating forward) is not in the top 11 disposers of the pill. Take out Hudson and Minson so Gia is not in the top 13 players, gee that sort of makes my point I believe. He does not kick goals, he cannot hit targets so that leaves him with tackles and shepherds, I suppose you will pull out the 1% stats.

For the position he plays, his efficiency is very good. More effective disposals than any other forward, and he's the guy bringing it inside fifty. Excellent effort on that basis.

Scorlibo
21-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Votes for Gia this season in the WOOF Player Awards: 11 (6th)

Supercoach score: 89.56 (7th)

On that note, I agree, close the thread.

Topdog
21-07-2010, 11:20 PM

Wow now you are really taking your bias too far. Suggest you read the stats again and replace the word Gia with a player you like. You will be pleasantly surprised.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Gia is king of the orange people...

boydogs
24-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Votes for Gia this season in the WOOF Player Awards: 11 (6th)

Supercoach score: 89.56 (7th)

On that note, I agree, close the thread.

These numbers are hugely biased by Gia's midfield games. The numbers for Gia as a forward would be far less impressive.

By rating him on these measures, you are essentially pressing the case for Gia to be moved out of the forward line and into the midfield, which I agree with