PDA

View Full Version : Aker press Conference at 4:45 PM

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Does anyone have any ideas what this presser could be about? Maybe it has something to do with Akermanis? :eek:

Mantis
21-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Just heard from a mate that Aker has called a press conference for 4.45.

Has anyone else heard the same?

bornadog
21-07-2010, 05:03 PM
According to Stevo on Twitter, Aker Gawn

bornadog
21-07-2010, 05:04 PM
According to Stevo, Aker Sacked

firstdogonthemoon
21-07-2010, 05:06 PM
gawwwwwwnnnnn

We got a tip at 1.39 today saying he would be sacked. But they only just told me now! Aggghh!

1eyedog
21-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Yep he's gone, also just reported through The Age, not that that is an overly reliable source.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:10 PM
The Herald Sun are now reporting Aker has been sacked.

angelopetraglia
21-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Jason Akermanis sacked
CAROLINE WILSON AND SAMANTHA LANE
July 21, 2010 - 4:06PM

The Western Bulldogs have terminated Jason Akermanis's contract just six weeks before the end of the home-and-away season and with a finals campaign awaiting the club.

President David Smorgan confirmed to The Age that the footballer and the club part company after it had become apparent that the two were 'on different paths.'

The club is set to announce the split - which will see the Brownlow medallist paid out for the term of his contract, which was due to expire at the end of this season - this afternoon.

The Age has learned that after a series of meetings Akermanis was informed today.

The Bulldogs have become fed up with Akermanis constantly disrupting the group and breaching confidences.
‘‘We hasn’t earnt the trust of the group,’’ a source told The Age.

‘‘It’s a pattern of behaviour. You can’t put it down to one thing. It has just gone on for so long. And we don’t want it to keep going.’’

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jason-akermanis-sacked-20100721-10kqu.html

firstdogonthemoon
Oops

Snap!

angelopetraglia
Gee whiz!

Wonder what he is going to say to the media now? This is going to get nasty, a distraction that we definitley don't need.

firstdogonthemoon
21-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Gee whiz!

Wonder what he is going to say to the media now? This is going to get nasty, a distraction that we definitley don't need.

Even so, I suspect he will be less of a distraction outside the club.

Throughandthrough
21-07-2010, 05:16 PM
ok

Now the club can focus on winning. Who knows, this may be the X factor that galvanises the team.

Sedat
21-07-2010, 05:16 PM
He's made his bed, he can lie in it. Such a shame that he could not temper his ego even slightly to have a massive tilt at one last premiership.

Dogs will be fine. We haven't been losing matches in 2010 because of this distraction.

Mofra
21-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Puts him outside the group for good.
Hopefully this galvanises the group for this weekend.

choconmientay
21-07-2010, 05:18 PM
It really is a sad way for him to depart from our club. The MEDIA in the end got what they wanted. They got deep into our skin. We (the fans, the club and Aker) are the real loser.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I think that Aker could've played an important role in the finals. It's sad to see it end like this. Now he will probably be bashing the club in the media for the rest of the season.

NoName
21-07-2010, 05:22 PM
I think that Aker could've played an important role in the finals. It's sad to see it end like this. Now he will probably be bashing the club in the media for the rest of the season.

True, they could have waited to the end of the season to make any announcement. IMO the club has handled this whole issue in the wrong way.

lemmon
21-07-2010, 05:22 PM
This is going to end negatively for the club IMO. Cant imagine Aker keeping quiet, things are going to come out now that he has a free reign. At least while he was contracted we maintained some form of control now that he has no affiliation I can imagine him having an absolute field day... and the papers will lap it up. Perhaps it should have been a case of 'keeping your enemies close' so too speak.

immortalmike
21-07-2010, 05:24 PM
This is bad. Why couldn't he just shut up.

Remi Moses
21-07-2010, 05:25 PM
It really is a sad way for him to depart from our club. The MEDIA in the end got what they wanted. They got deep into our skin. We (the fans, the club and Aker) are the real loser.

Not right,you can't pin this one on the media Aker made his bed! Now We hear he was sending text messages shit canning his teammates. Enough is Enough

Remi Moses
21-07-2010, 05:27 PM
This is going to end negatively for the club IMO. Cant imagine Aker keeping quiet, things are going to come out now that he has a free reign. At least while he was contracted we maintained some form of control now that he has no affiliation I can imagine him having an absolute field day... and the papers will lap it up. Perhaps it should have been a case of 'keeping your enemies close' so too speak.

Disagree I think it will create a resolve among the group

angelopetraglia
21-07-2010, 05:28 PM
This is bad. Why couldn't he just shut up.

That is the million dollar question and only Aker can anwser this.

Agree entirely, why could he simply not go anywhere near any discussion about the club for the next two months. No coincidence that this has now happened at two different clubs where he has made his position untenable.

Don't see how anyonce can blame the club over this, one common fault between what happened at Brisbane and the Bulldogs .... Aker.

anfo27
21-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow i didn't see this coming.

I'm really disappointed it has come to this and just get the feeling that this will have a negative effect on our performance for the est of the year. I really hope i'm wrong and the boys can come out and take their game to another level.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:29 PM
That is the million dollar question and only Aker can anwser this.

Agree entirely, why could he simply not go anywhere near any discussion about the club for the next two months. No coincidence that this has now happened at two different clubs where he has made his position untenable.

Don't see how anyonce can blame the club over this, one common fault between what happened at Brisbane and the Bulldogs .... Aker.

The club knew what they were getting into when they recruited him. I still think the whole issue could've been handed much better.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Always imagined aker playing a star role if we made the Gf thi year. Oh well, let's get on with it!

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Steve Price and Co. on MTR: "Aker, what are all the Bulldogs gameplan secrets etc?"

Mouthy Fool: "*Sing, sing, sing, sing, sing, sing*"

I stand by my comments about him last week. Interesting to see how he goes in civilian life from now on.

firstdogonthemoon
21-07-2010, 05:31 PM

I agree. This would have been done with support, if not insistence of the leadership group. They wouldn't have done this lightly.

Ozza
I'm hopeful this will galvanise the group. Aker will throw mud at the club over the next few days. Probably heaps of mud because thats the kind of bloke he appears to be (Brisbane + recent behaviour as examples). But he was obviously not well liked, rather he was tolerated - and if the boys stick together - we'll be fine.

We've gotten Zero out of Aker this season - well nothing but issues - so we are not losing anything from where we stand today. We just aren't gaining his return to good footy - which is only a 'possible' anyway.

Sedat
Some of you guys are over-rating the impact of Aker the media performer. He has saturated his media brand to the point of no return. Of course he will throw a few hits in our direction - big deal. If he is not prepared to put it all on the line for a final tilt at a premiership, then do we really want someone at the club who is there under false pretences? This coming from one of his biggest fans. I want 100% comitted and focused players representing our club between now and the end of the season. Aker clearly has only been half-assed with his commitment on the field this season, and on several occasions has chosen to support his media master over the club. So long and thanks for the memories.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2010, 05:32 PM
True, they could have waited to the end of the season to make any announcement. IMO the club has handled this whole issue in the wrong way.

I know you qualified your statement by saying it was your opinion. But unless you know exactly what has gone on and what the dialogue between Aker & the club has been, isn't your opinion really baseless?

I am confident that the club has not made this decision on a whim or without taking into considerations various alternative courses of action. That they have chosen this severe action, seems to indicate that they consider his removal to be less disruptive to our fortunes than his staying.

I'll wait until I've heard the club's official line of reasoning before I assume they don't know what they're doing.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch the press conference live? If so can someone link me?!

Aker will not be attending the press conference. It will be Eade, Smorgon and Fantasia.

SonofScray
21-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Huge pressure on our Club now. The media hunted him, we bought into it and now they have got what they wanted they'll turn on the Club in support of Aker. Prepare to cop a bashing from all corners.

I'll back the club on one condition. The guys that have had their say need to step up and stamp themselves on the contest. It is all well and good to have a solid, tight knit team culture and embrace vanilla personalities but there is room for brilliance in the game. Aker had that brilliance, as an individual he could exert his influence on the contest and have it impact on the scoreboard where it counts. After Johnno noone in the team has really done that for us. Guys like Cooney, Gia, Griffen, Higgins etc want to be stars? they need to make it happen now.

Sedat
21-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I'll back the club on one condition. The guys that have had their say need to step up and stamp themselves on the contest. It is all well and good to have a solid, tight knit team culture and embrace vanilla personalities but there is room for brilliance in the game. Aker had that brilliance, as an individual he could exert his influence on the contest and have it impact on the scoreboard where it counts. After Johnno noone in the team has really done that for us. Guys like Cooney, Gia, Griffen, Higgins etc want to be stars? they need to make it happen now.
He doesn't have it anymore. Worse, he doesn't have the desire to get it back. We've lost nothing on the field with this decision.

lemmon
21-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch the press conference live? If so can someone link me?!

Aker will not be attending the press conference. It will be Eade, Smorgon and Fantasia.

Will be broadcast on triple m if you can get too a radio

SonofScray
21-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I know you qualified your statement by saying it was your opinion. But unless you know exactly what has gone on and what the dialogue between Aker & the club has been, isn't your opinion really baseless?

Probably, but you can say that about anyone on here who ever says anything. I suppose you can take your own slant on it. My feeling is the media hunted Aker, which he was happy with because it promotes his brand. The Club bought into the media hunt, the heat intensifies, Aker backs himself into a corner and the Club can't budge for fear of going against the team values and principles that the leadership group has strongly espoused.

Now, the catalyst there for me is Aker so he can reap what he sowed but I was disappointed in the way the Club in my eyes got sucked into a few non issues.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Wow i didn't see this coming.

I'm really disappointed it has come to this and just get the feeling that this will have a negative effect on our performance for the est of the year. I really hope i'm wrong and the boys can come out and take their game to another level.

I don't think so Anfo27.

Aker was obviously already having an extremely negative effect. I guess they just figured better to have a (now) ex player as an ongoing distraction, than a current one that just continued to cause distractions week after week .

SonofScray
21-07-2010, 05:47 PM
He doesn't have it anymore. Worse, he doesn't have the desire to get it back. We've lost nothing on the field with this decision.

I tend to agree. However with Higgins massively down and Johnno mostly out I still rated Aker's "magic" above most others in the side to date. I just look at the squad and can't see anyone who will go BANG when it counts.

Excuse the cliches but for me I was banking on what might happen, maybe the Club were as well given he got another year.

chef
21-07-2010, 05:47 PM

I agree with this, it should galvanise the group.

LostDog
21-07-2010, 05:48 PM
west now aker, club is really digging a hole

Grantysghost
21-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Going to be on SEN 1116 am or here http://sen.com.au/mediaplayer at 4:50

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Huge pressure on our Club now. The media hunted him, we bought into it and now they have got what they wanted they'll turn on the Club in support of Aker. Prepare to cop a bashing from all corners.

interesting view point, but I'd disagree with the Aker being hunted by the media. Yes the reaction to his initial article was a circus. Everything thereafter in the escalation of the situation remained totally at the discretion of Aker to either inflame or cool down. In each instance he chose to push it to the forefront, despite his employer and workmates telling him to cork it.
Re the ' my words were changed without my knowledge' - within akers realm of control.
Re: divulging the contents of his club reprimand. Again within Akers control
re: his statements since he came back for willy, all of akers own control.
No, Aker, and not for the first time, and not because he doesn't fit the 'vanilla' mold has ensured he has escalated the media's interest.

Ghost Dog
21-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Its not the issue is it? He obviously has form. He kicked 5 for Willy and has been working hard. If he has it or doesn't, that's not the point. You can see what happens if decisive action is not taken for the sake of big egos ( Fev ) No man is bigger than the team.

Chicago1
21-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Thank God he's gone. Now he can concentrate on his "career" at that shithole of a station and the rest of the team can concentrate on winning a Premiership. Sorry, but he just became a media whore this year and divided the players and the supporters.

If only I had 30 pieces of silver to drop in front of him...:p

bornadog
21-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Thank God he's gone. Now he can concentrate on his "career" at that shithole of a station and the rest of the team can concentrate on winning a Premiership. Sorry, but he just became a media whore this year and divided the players and the supporters.

If only I had 30 pieces of silver to drop in front of him...:p

What a dickhead to throw away his last year, the friendships etc just for the media. I thought he should have retired last year.

ReLoad
21-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Matthew knights is the happiest man on earth, the media caravan packed up from windy hill and moved down the road.

comrade
21-07-2010, 05:57 PM
The media hunted him.

Aker IS the media. Now he can concentrate on his number 1 priority - himself

Throughandthrough
21-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Your either with us, or against us. He put himself ahead of the team, so he's against us.

I didn't buy the Sam Newman 'i was eaves dropping" story last week one bit.

Where did I read it about the book coming out later this year where he pots many of the current players, and the words had got back to the group?

He's obviously a sh*t bloke, and i wouldn't want to play with him either.

I just hope there's a FEW people at the club he feels slightly for, and he does them a favour and STFU for the next few months.

After the seasons over, he can go his hardest if it helps sell more books in time for Christmas. If he remains dignified for the next few months i'll even buy the book myself.

SonofScray
21-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Aker IS the media. Now he can concentrate on his number 1 priority - himself

Quote the rest of it and you'll see I have acknowledged that a media hunt was in his best interests.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Little angry at this situation although I probably agree with it.

The club had better start taking a much harder stance with on-field performances from its players, though. No more free rides for Hahn, Higgins or anybody else.

Whilst these matters aren't related, they've shown balls 'off' the field. Show it on the field, starting with favourite sons.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:12 PM
I've read somewhere that you're 38 times more likely to have an accident riding a motorbike.

Ghost Dog
21-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Your either with us, or against us. He put himself ahead of the team, so he's against us.

I didn't buy the Sam Newman 'i was eaves dropping" story last week one bit.

Fair enough. We don't know the half of it.

[QUOTE=Throughandthrough;165439]Where did I read it about the book coming out later this year where he pots many of the current players, and the words had got back to the group?

He's obviously a sh*t bloke, and i wouldn't want to play with him either..

That's a bit harsh. :rolleyes:

He lacked common sense and he got out what he put in. Good luck Jason. Onward Bulldogs!

G-Mo77
21-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Honestly can't say I'm upset about it. The guy has been a distraction all season so don't let the door hit ya...blah, blah. Loved the guy as a footballer even as a Lion but off the field he comes across as a self obsessed moron.

He didn't contribute to the club this season anyway so it's no great loss.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:23 PM

Quite possibly the most inane post of the year

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Love him but I guess it had to happen, I hope he does the right thing from here.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2010, 06:33 PM

I think you are confusing correlation with causation.

Yes there is a correlation between the bad media outcome of West & Akers departures, however they differ in crucial aspects.

1. Wests departure was a fait accompli- his knee was buggered. I don't think the club intended or expected it would escalate into a story. Probably not handled well by either the club or West.

2. In the Aker instance, the club made a deliberate decision to act, knowing full well that there would be an ensuing fall out in the media. No doubt the weighed up very carefully the cost v benefit of this action, and still decided to make the call.

So to draw a bow that these two departures and the way they were handled are caused by an underlying problem with the club to handle player departures is wrong.

Dry Rot
21-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I doubt we'll ever know the complete or full story, but I don't understand the criticism of the club on this thread.

And the contrast between our star recruits Aker and Hall couldn't be greater.

Jasper
21-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Quite possibly the most inane post of the year

There is no quite possibly about it. Shit comment.

Akermanis - its a shame, but true to his form, if he was willing to throw away relationships with his three time premiership team mates for a few quotes, what were we to him....?

He was a great player and I reckon he could have been an 'x factor' come finals time if he could have brought it back..

Gotta back the club here. No question they have done what thought was best for the group. I hope it works out.

KT31
21-07-2010, 06:43 PM

Fail to see the relivance between the two.:confused:

KT31
21-07-2010, 06:46 PM
I doubt we'll ever know the complete or full story, but I don't understand the criticism of the club on this thread.

I'm sure we will be saturated with Akers version.

EasternWest
21-07-2010, 06:48 PM

LostDog, it appears a troll has hijacked your account.

No comparison.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Who heard that dribbler on triple m? The so called social club member? What a goose

Chicago1
21-07-2010, 06:51 PM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q136/westernbulldogs1/churchsignaker.jpg :D

Queenslander
21-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Aker is a true legend of the game with lots more to offer the bulldogs. I believe this is a massive mistake, wich in turn will bring more unwanted media attention to the club and playing group.

EasternWest
21-07-2010, 07:03 PM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q136/westernbulldogs1/churchsignaker.jpg :D

That's just some stellar work C1. Very chuckleworthy.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Gee! bulldogs pick their moments.
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
Dont want distractions?
This is a huge distraction we are now going to be plastered all over the media for the remainder of the year(bad press).Just when we were starting to put it together.
UNF#@$*&GBELIEVABLE.

w3design
21-07-2010, 07:11 PM
This was a strong decision by the club.

Aker was a passenger this year who was offering little but disruptions. Cut him loose and lets concentrate on winning games with the players who were playing for the club and not themselves.

GVGjr
21-07-2010, 07:11 PM

I don't that is necessarily correct. Like it or not he had a lot of support with the playing group.

Doc26
21-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I think you are confusing correlation with causation.

Yes there is a correlation between the bad media outcome of West & Akers departures, however they differ in crucial aspects.

1. Wests departure was a fait accompli- his knee was buggered. I don't think the club intended or expected it would escalate into a story. Probably not handled well by either the club or West.

2. In the Aker instance, the club made a deliberate decision to act, knowing full well that there would be an ensuing fall out in the media. No doubt the weighed up very carefully the cost v benefit of this action, and still decided to make the call.

So to draw a bow that these two departures and the way they were handled are caused by an underlying problem with the club to handle player departures is wrong.

Although I agree with your sentiments point one is factually incorrect, well at least medically incorrect at the time. The 'buggered knee' line taken with Scott's departure mutually assisted the Club's cause in not renewing his contract which I ultimately supported.

Scott's case did differ from Aker's with the Club and Scott both managing his departure professionally. I don't agree that his departure was not handled well by the Club, nor do I lay any blame on Scott but an example of good rather than poor management. What more could the Club do ? Scott was very keen to keep going whilst the Club was set on a different course.

EasternWest
21-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Not right,you can't pin this one on the media Aker made his bed! Now We hear he was sending text messages shit canning his teammates. Enough is Enough

Do we know this? That's the first I've heard of it. Got any details?

w3design
21-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Same here.

Throughandthrough
21-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Gee! bulldogs pick their moments.
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
Dont want distractions?
This is a huge distraction we are now going to be plastered all over the media for the remainder of the year(bad press).Just when we were starting to put it together.
UNF#@$*&GBELIEVABLE.

No it wont

If we win the next 3 games, it will hardly raise a ripple.

GVGjr
21-07-2010, 07:25 PM

I can understand why some might criticize the club. We gave a known attention seeker access to the media and we paid the price for it.
We got the answer right at the end but the formula we used along the way was somewhat flawed.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 07:28 PM
what about the players that supported Aka? It's going to distract them for sure.

angelopetraglia
21-07-2010, 07:51 PM
what about the players that supported Aka? It's going to distract them for sure.

Sounds like he didn't have that many supporters down at the club in recent times.

Bumper Bulldogs
21-07-2010, 07:59 PM
My view is that Aker could have offered us (Club & Supports) a hole lot more if he really wanted to. The shame about it is that he could have put a lot of perception behind him and proven the Brisbane people wrong. I have the confidence in Smorgo, Rocket, Simon and co to make informed and good choices.

I loved the dream of Aker at his best at the end of this season and like all will just ask what if and what could have been, Hope the club gets on with the task at hand and goes all the way.

Clearly Aker wasn't hungry enough for one more flag as he should have kept his head down as they would have had alot of chats about thing they expected and needed.

I hope that the "Aker media train" leaves and keeps the media waiting for the next story but it never comes.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 08:06 PM
I don't that is necessarily correct. Like it or not he had a lot of support with the playing group.

This is very interesting GVGjr as usually what is assumed is that it was the playing group who did not want him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2010, 08:09 PM
My view is that Aker could have offered us (Club & Supports) a hole lot more if he really wanted to. The shame about it is that he could have put a lot of perception behind him and proven the Brisbane people wrong. I have the confidence in Smorgo, Rocket, Simon and co to make informed and good choices.

I loved the dream of Aker at his best at the end of this season and like all will just ask what if and what could have been, Hope the club gets on with the task at hand and goes all the way.

Clearly Aker wasn't hungry enough for one more flag as he should have kept his head down as they would have had alot of chats about thing they expected and needed.

I hope that the "Aker media train" leaves and keeps the media waiting for the next story but it never comes.

Agree 100% Bumper Bulldogs.
The sad thing is that in spite of his footballing achievements he has chosen to burn bridges at two clubs, when he could've put paid to his previous indiscretions at the Lions by finishing his career with distinction with us, and thus showing that he was able to put the team needs above his need to foment unnecessary controversy.

Jasper
21-07-2010, 08:21 PM
So any guesses for Herald Sun's headline in week 1 of finals...

Exclusive Excerpt from Aker's new book

Chapter 1 - Week 1 of finals...Why the Bulldogs can't Win

Chapter 2 - Week 2 of finals....How Eade Lost the Players

Chapter 3 - Week 3....Murphy and Gia, mentally soft...etc

We are going to get a lot of publicity...

Mantis
21-07-2010, 08:38 PM

There is some truth to it and it wasn't always via the use of SMS.... he was also pretty good at bagging out his team-mates/ club to members of the media face to face.

GVGjr
21-07-2010, 08:54 PM
This is very interesting GVGjr as usually what is assumed is that it was the playing group who did not want him.

On some matters Akermanis did have some support of the group but he was certainly out of favor with others. He's been testing the relationships and peoples patience all season but gave the club no other choice but to move him on.

bornadog
21-07-2010, 09:03 PM
So any guesses for Herald Sun's headline in week 1 of finals...

Exclusive Excerpt from Aker's new book

Chapter 1 - Week 1 of finals...Why the Bulldogs can't Win

Chapter 2 - Week 2 of finals....How Eade Lost the Players

Chapter 3 - Week 3....Murphy and Gia, mentally soft...etc

We are going to get a lot of publicity...

Or What a Great win, Dogs set up a Premiership Tilt - Aker Decision Correct

EasternWest
21-07-2010, 09:09 PM
There is some truth to it and it wasn't always via the use of SMS.... he was also pretty good at bagging out his team-mates/ club to members of the media face to face.

Tits or GTFO.

Sorry, wrong site.

Any further on the who's, when's what's?

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Hopefully this can be our "Terry Glenn" story if anybody knows who he is.
Basically, he was a NFL player for the Patriots. Glenn was an asshole and seemed to have a bit of a big mouth. Midway through the season, he started acting up again and was cut that week. After that the Pats got stronger game after game, and went on to knock off a team on the back-end of an amazing run. Early in the year, they weren't considered much chop. Including that game, they won 3 of the next 4 superbowls aren't are considered on the best teams ever.

If anyone followed the NFL, they may notice the omission of a pretty important fact though, haha.

Not saying it will happen with Aka, but there is always hope

Jasper
21-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Or What a Great win, Dogs set up a Premiership Tilt - Aker Decision Correct

Hope you are right, but wouldn't surprise me if cynical marketing and Aker's loose lips combine for a Aker's book to find its way into the Herald Sun, and guess what the better we go the better his no doubt ill thought out, self obsessed borderline moronic thoughts will sell...

ReLoad
21-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Whats the most dissapointing is the "alleged" bulldog members and supporters who are bagging out the club over this.

I'm sorry but our leadership team off the feild and on the feild have made a unified decision.

These are the same people who have turned our club around and have shown more bulldog spiit than anyone possibly could.

I, like others here stand united behind the players and the board/management 100%. Without them and thier efforts we would all be up the maribyrnong without a paddle.

David, Cam and James, I dont know if you ever cast your eyes this way, but if you do, please continue the tough uncompromising way you guys work, we all appreciate that you have nothing but the best short and long term interests of the club and its ultimate desire to win.

Now stick it up the media and all the nay sayers and win the freakin flag. - you've now got even more reason to shut them up, its now: stick it up em!

ReLoad
21-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh almost forgot, in a bygone era, I bet Teddy would have taken Aker out the back near the cricket nets and punched the living daylights out of him about 7 weeks ago.

Then the issue would have never gotten into the public eye.

My how times have changed.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 09:25 PM
As stated by the club, there was more going on than we the public knew about. I'm sure more will be said by both parties in the aftermath.

Aker had been preparing his future for a while now, but i will miss what he did bring to footy through his career ON THE FIELD.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't think the players who were on Akers aide will be affected that much, if at all. It's like if your mate from work quit. You would still work the same wouldn't you?

Aker should've just quit all his media commitments till his AFL career was over. That would've showed he was 100% committed to the Bulldogs.

bold-dogg
21-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I can understand why some might criticize the club. We gave a known attention seeker access to the media and we paid the price for it.
We got the answer right at the end but the formula we used along the way was somewhat flawed.

Not sure the formula was flawed. We had the opportunity to snare one of the game's greats at a cut price (damaged goods) and were willing to cop it if it didn't work.

It worked for us last year, including his involvement with the media. Akermanis stuffed up this year, because his future was looming closer and he wanted to set himself up as "Mr. Controversial".

Rob Murphy's column is incidental to his commitment to the Western Bulldogs premiership campaign 2010. It got to the stage where Akers commitment to the team premiership seemed secondary to more selfish motives.

But it could have gone the other way. People learn, and we were hoping Aker would have learnt about trust in a football team. The sacking is no big deal. If we can't win a premiership because of this, we couldn't win it anyway. I'd prefer a younger team in the finals, and wouldn't have had Aker in it unless he was blitzing 'em (and 100% team).

Mantis
21-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Any further on the who's, when's what's?

Aker was pretty well known for spilling the beans about the club in the hallways of a media outlet he frequents.

bold-dogg
21-07-2010, 09:51 PM

oops -
apology GVGjr, just realised that one huge flaw in the formula you referred too, was re-signing Aker for 2010. I take your point.

Bumper Bulldogs
21-07-2010, 10:03 PM
On some matters Akermanis did have some support of the group but he was certainly out of favor with others. He's been testing the relationships and peoples patience all season but gave the club no other choice but to move him on.

It's a shame, you don't know what your got until it's gone. I hope Aker leaves with some pride and common sense as overall i think he has been good for us and guttered it's ended like this.

The Pie Man
21-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Hopefully this can be our "Terry Glenn" story if anybody knows who he is.
Basically, he was a NFL player for the Patriots. Glenn was an asshole and seemed to have a bit of a big mouth. Midway through the season, he started acting up again and was cut that week. After that the Pats got stronger game after game, and went on to knock off a team on the back-end of an amazing run. Early in the year, they weren't considered much chop. Including that game, they won 3 of the next 4 superbowls aren't are considered on the best teams ever.

If anyone followed the NFL, they may notice the omission of a pretty important fact though, haha.

Not saying it will happen with Aka, but there is always hope

Don't know much about the NFL, but I like it shifty - would love this to be something we look back on fondly/pivotal in 3 months time.

I have to laugh when I read comments on websites (like the HS) that just bang on about Jason being crucified for telling the truth - it's some effort to completely ignore all the actual reasons for the club to act the way it has and instead continue to just focus on the 'controversy' that article generated.

It's clearly become so far removed from that for the club, I find it astonishing many people still harp on about 'oh footy's so sanitised blah blah blah' That it may be, but this isn't an example of it

AndrewP6
21-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Even so, I suspect he will be less of a distraction outside the club.

I think he'll be far, far worse. The shackles are off, he doesn't have the slightest need or obligation to keep quiet. The excrement is about to touch the cooling device...

AndrewP6
21-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Love him but I guess it had to happen, I hope he does the right thing from here.

Trouble is, the right thing now for him doesn't have to take the club into account. He has form in this department. And they knew that too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2010, 11:24 PM
I think he'll be far, far worse. The shackles are off, he doesn't have the slightest need or obligation to keep quiet. The excrement is about to touch the cooling device...

I think that whatever comments he makes, may not be taken so seriously nor will they have a long half-life. How much of the mud that he slung Brisbane's way resonated or gained traction in the ensuing weeks following his demise there? How much of it was given credence?
I seem to remember that the overwhelming thought in the media was that he looked like a bit of a dill with alot of sour grapes and that his demise was all of his own making.

The only negative that I recall was that the media said that when Aker was playing well, his indiscretions were overlooked by the Lions , but as soon as his form waned the club frowned on it.

I think his credibility this time round is even less, given this is the second club that has found his behaviour so corrosive to the team that they have felt compelled to take the drastic action to remove him.

That the club felt it was a lesser of two evils to remove him now in-season knowing full well the media focus that would ensue and the potential for more Aker barbs to come out, speaks volume about how badly they felt the situation had become. They must've considered that the alternative - keeping him on the list for the rest of the year would've been even worse to deal with.

FrediKanoute
21-07-2010, 11:34 PM

I don't! I think Aka circa 2003 could have made a difference and probably won a flag off his own boot, but Aka circa 2010 couldn't. This year he looked slow, both in terms of leg speed as well as his footy brain. All him playing out the year would have done is created a distraction. I doubted he would be able to force his way back in....who would you drop? Higgins......form not the best, but still better than Aka's; Gia......has had a great season so far. Eagleton......different type of player to Aka and for mine still offers us something.

End of the day I applauid the club for making a call......if he wants to bash the club then so be it, he wont be the first and probably wont be the last. What he needs to remember though that it was our club who threw him a lifeline when his AFL career was over 3 years ago.......our biggest mistake though was not calling time on him at the end of last season!

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Whats the most dissapointing is the "alleged" bulldog members and supporters who are bagging out the club over this

So, if we disagree with the club's decision that makes us "alleged" members and supporters?!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I won't drink the Kool-Aid, and just blindly accept everything the club does and says. I will remain open-minded, and wait till I hear both sides of the story. Plus, it's not like our club hasn't made bad decisions before.

AndrewP6
21-07-2010, 11:46 PM
I think that whatever comments he makes, may not be taken so seriously nor will they have a long half-life. How much of the mud that he slung Brisbane's way resonated or gained traction in the ensuing weeks following his demise there? How much of it was given credence?

I think it'll be magnified, given the fact it's happened twice, his non-selection has become a saga (which media outlets love), and the fact that it happened in footy-mad Melbourne.

I think his credibility this time round is even less, given this is the second club that has found his behaviour so corrosive to the team that they have felt compelled to take the drastic action to remove him.

And yet they faffed around when THAT article came out, before tolling out a punishment which he served, and then claiming his continued non-selection was due to "on-field" issues. All gives him even more ammunition.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2010, 11:58 PM
I think it'll be magnified, given the fact it's happened twice, his non-selection has become a saga (which media outlets love), and the fact that it happened in footy-mad Melbourne.

And yet they faffed around when THAT article came out, before tolling out a punishment which he served, and then claiming his continued non-selection was due to "on-field" issues. All gives him even more ammunition.

I expect it to get heavy rotation over the next few days, but so far (and that may change) most media comments I have heard seem to be favourable.

With regards to the faffing about after the article. I think the club did what any club would do, that is, back their player publically when he said that the words had been changed without his knowledge. Aker then put them in an embarrassing position when he later retracted that bit, leading to his sanction.
I thought the club handled that well.
His continuing non selection was about other issues that he was progressing. He chose his course of action.
And I think it's fair enough for the club to say it was for on field issues that he was no being selected. To say otherwise would've been unfair to all parties, and would've been hypocritical in terms of the club sticking to it's major gripe with Aker ie not divulging in club matters.

AndrewP6
22-07-2010, 12:13 AM
I expect it to get heavy rotation over the next few days, but so far (and that may change) most media comments I have heard seem to be favourable.

With regards to the faffing about after the article. I think the club did what any club would do, that is, back their player publically when he said that the words had been changed without his knowledge. Aker then put them in an embarrassing position when he later retracted that bit, leading to his sanction.
I thought the club handled that well.
His continuing non selection was about other issues that he was progressing. He chose his course of action.
And I think it's fair enough for the club to say it was for on field issues that he was no being selected. To say otherwise would've been unfair to all parties, and would've been hypocritical in terms of the club sticking to it's major gripe with Aker ie not divulging in club matters.

I think my issue with the way his penalty was handed down was that they could've done it quicker than it was done. What were the "other issues" re: his non-selection? I only heard Eade say it was 'on field' stuff. I understand your point about why the club would've publicly said it was on field stuff, I just think personally, to take umbrage with someone for lying, and to then lie as to why they're not playing is in itself hypocritical.I'm sure you won't agree - I've had others tell me this is silly, but it's just my feeling. A lie is a lie is a lie, IMO.

The media will be all over it, more so than the recent "Will he/won't he play?" stuff, and that can't be good for the club at this crucial point in the season. They'll be after Aker, and of course he'll oblige...and we'll get dragged into it again and again. Ugly times.

BulldogBelle
22-07-2010, 12:14 AM
So, if we disagree with the club's decision that makes us "alleged" members and supporters?!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I won't drink the Kool-Aid, and just blindly accept everything the club does and says. I will remain open-minded, and wait till I hear both sides of the story. Plus, it's not like our club hasn't made bad decisions before.

Too many here are happy to support the club's decisions without scrutiny. The club has not been given the right PR advice throughout the whole Aker saga, all the way back from the gay footballer article. We continually fed the media hype and I believe the Dogs share some of the responsibility of creating this beast.

Another troubling issue is the amount of power that is wielded by our 'leadership' group. There may be an adverse shift of power into the hands of the leadership group which may set a dangerous precedent for the future. What is stopping this group from ostracizing other players for lesser crimes?
In my opinion this would be the worst outcome. Have we have created a 'clique' of sorts that could make demands of coaches and administrators that need upholding as they become the critical power base in the club?

Final point is on the ROD we have built for our backs in terms of the scrutiny our performances from here on will attract. I believe anything less than winning a flag will leave the club open to attack about the prudence of our decision making.

There are definitely negative repercussions for the club from this affair, and I really hope we come out of this looking better and our leadership group 'standing up' on the field.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2010, 12:19 AM

fair comment.
Healthy debate attacks the ball, not the man.

2PotScreamer, AndrewP6, these are interesting posts and points. Enjoyed reading them. Food for thought,

Dancin' Douggy
22-07-2010, 12:21 AM
I've been in situations where a person's presence has become so toxic it was unbearable.
Regardless of how talented they were or how 'fair' you were trying to be, the person's very presence became almost palpably cancerous.
I'm guessing this is what eventually happened with Aker.
I thought it would be great to have him for the finals, especially the Grand Final but if the situation had become toxic the whole club would have suffered.
Leigh Matthews and Rodney Eade aren't idiots.
I think our playing group is very stable and mature.
I can only back them on this decision.
Loved Aker when he was good. But......................

AndrewP6
22-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I've been in situations where a person's presence has become so toxic it was unbearable.
Regardless of how talented they were or how 'fair' you were trying to be, the person's very presence became almost palpably cancerous.

We all work with someone like that. We don't all have the luxury of banding together and ousting them! :)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I think my issue with the way his penalty was handed down was that they could've done it quicker than it was done. What were the "other issues" re: his non-selection? I only heard Eade say it was 'on field' stuff. I understand your point about why the club would've publicly said it was on field stuff, I just think personally, to take umbrage with someone for lying, and to then lie as to why they're not playing is in itself hypocritical.I'm sure you won't agree - I've had others tell me this is silly, but it's just my feeling. A lie is a lie is a lie, IMO.

Sorry, the other issues I was talking about were Aker's off field issues, which he kept going. Eade did in a way allude to it, if not directly when he said there were 'other boxes that Aker needed to tick off". I think that was the most diplomatic way he could've broached the subject, without actually stating the specifics. It's mealy-mouth to be sure, but I'm not sure how else he could've put this given the circumstances.

Fair call on the lenght of time it took for the club to hand down it's penalty, it would've been better had action been more swiftly taken. However If what Gerard Whately was saying tonight on his Foxtel show is true , the club were keen to sack him there and then, but legal opinion suggested that they might be in some trouble at that time, and that they had to build a more compelling case. All seems a bit Machiavellian if true.

Dancin' Douggy
22-07-2010, 12:25 AM
We all work with someone like that. We don't all have the luxury of banding together and ousting them! :)

Do you wish you could?

AndrewP6
22-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Do you wish you could?

Every day.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm guessing this is what eventually happened with Aker.
I thought it would be great to have him for the finals, especially the Grand Final but if the situation had become toxic the whole club would have suffered.
Leigh Matthews and Rodney Eade aren't idiots.
I think our playing group is very stable and mature.
I can only back them on this decision.
Loved Aker when he was good. But......................

On the other hand, We don't know the full story. We have all been in situations ( Share houses, jobs ) where two or three other people seemed to 'side' against us just because we saw things a bit different.

That being said, I liked Rocket's comments about not needing to be liked.
And can you imagine going into team meetings, not being 100% sure that things would stay in house? That would be hard as a team.

Point: In an age where players are traded like horses, loyalty to the jumper still means an awful lot. In all of his articles, Jason never really professed much of a gratefulness or love for the Bulldogs. Not that I read anyway. Anyone care to disagree? would be happy to read one, if it exists.

Players may not have to like each other, but you have to love the club. Or what is the point?

Remi Moses
22-07-2010, 12:32 AM

I think Mark Robinson quoted it happening! Who'd be surprised,all I'll say is I've never seen Rocket so angry!!

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Just watched 360 on Fox, they were saying the club has been waiting 6 weeks for Legal Advice to cover them for an unfair dismissal case and they have been building a case to sack him ever since round 11. They got the advice back giving them the all clear.

I'm still shocked, I don't know why as we could all see it just getting worse. Just wish things were different, loved watching him in the red white and blue. I wish him good luck and thanks, but I'd almost hate to see him shut up now, he might as well lose the plot as it would be such a waste to see him finally put a sock in it!

Was impressed with the way the guys spoke in the press conference, we are lucky to have them running the club. Really hoping this sparks us to really give it a shake now, we have the cattle all that was missing was between the ears. Here's hoping this was it.

AndrewP6
22-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Point: In an age where players are traded like horses, loyalty to the jumper still means an awful lot. In all of his articles, Jason never really professed much of a gratefulness or love for the Bulldogs. Not that I read anyway. Anyone care to disagree? would be happy to read one, if it exists.

Players may not have to like each other, but you have to love the club. Or what is the point?

I think loyalty isn't nearly as big a factor (in general AFL terms) as it once was. Jordy left because we didn't patch up his relationship...Wallet left 'cos we were too poor, Judas left, because, well, he's Judas...over at Windy Hill, Nanny McPhee left to go to Freo (again!)...and we're soon to see players leaving clubs left, right and centre, as GC and GWS come calling.. call me a cynic, but I think loyalty has taken a beating in recent times. By and large, the Dogs appear to have loyal types. Then again, GC and GWS loom large...

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 12:52 AM
According to the Hun our odds for the flag have just gone from $5 to $6 on Sportsbet since Akers departure!

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 01:00 AM
According to the Hun our odds for the flag have just gone from $5 to $6 on Sportsbet since Akers departure!

:D My mate had 200 on us at lunch at 5.50....

chef
22-07-2010, 07:35 AM

In my industry we do. You don't have to like everyone but we all have to be pulling in the same direction.

Stefcep
22-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Just watched 360 on Fox, they were saying the club has been waiting 6 weeks for Legal Advice to cover them for an unfair dismissal case and they have been building a case to sack him ever since round 11. They got the advice back giving them the all clear.

IF thats true then IMO the club has lost some integrity for jerking the guy around at Willi, stringing him along with the promise that he had a chance to get back into the team, when in actual fact he had no chance no matter what he did. Thats just disgusting. And it also means that everything else that is supposed to have happened since the gay footballers article is just BS, and that Aker's been sacked for an opinion-piece on gay footballers. If true then that just puts the club in a terrible light.

cinder
22-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah - this is not good. I am worried about the damage to the club and its reputation. A lot of people are not happy about it. It is very easy for Aker to play the sympathy card to the public because we don't and probably never will know the full story.

The pressure is really on the team and coaching staff to perform for the rest of the season and particularly the finals. If we crash and burn I don't think we'll attract a lot of sympathy from the AFL community. Fingers crossed.

Mantis
22-07-2010, 10:42 AM
IF thats true then IMO the club has lost some integrity for jerking the guy around at Willi, stringing him along with the promise that he had a chance to get back into the team, when in actual fact he had no chance no matter what he did. Thats just disgusting. And it also means that everything else that is supposed to have happened since the gay footballers article is just BS, and that Aker's been sacked for an opinion-piece on gay footballers. If true then that just puts the club in a terrible light.

It isn't true.

At the initial meeting some 6 weeks back it was asked of Aker to give up his media work for the rest of the season to show that he was fully commited to the cause, but he didn't want to and very firmly stood his ground. This disappointed the club because it felt to them that Aker was holding them to ransom and that everything was on his terms .ie. 'I am going to continue to do my media work and continue to play footy and there isn't anything you can do to stop me'

However as a compromise Aker stood down from his media commitments for 3 weeks and was told to toe the line for the rest of the season and to let his footy to do the talking, but as we have seen he has continued to speak out and hasn't done enough on the field to win back his spot in the senior team. Recent murmurs about a new book in which has some unkind words to say on his team-mates and his inability to keep in-house matters to himself has seen the relationship between club and player brake down even further and what happened yesterday was the end result.

The Pie Man
22-07-2010, 10:47 AM

I don't think it's as straight forward as that - if Jason had complied with what was asked of him and his form continued to improve, I would like to think he would've been seriously considered for senior selection.

But with his history, I think it's prudent the club made sure all avenues were covered, and if there were further breaches that action such as the one they took would be water tight.

I don't think he's been led on so to speak - especially with the media reports indicating they weren't happy about Sam Newman's rant on TFS, it's not really a big surprise to end up here is it?

I just had someone from our warehouse come in and say they feel sorry for him - seriously, give me a spell - he wasn't sacked for writing that article. Not sure how much clearer the club can be on this point.

Desipura
22-07-2010, 10:50 AM
The club made a brave decison to sack him. He has opened his mouth one too many times. It is now obvious to me he was not going to be selected based on his recent misdemeanors.
I am willing to back Smorgon and the Committee on this one.

A caller rang in last night and said he and his son went and saw Aker kick a lazy 5 goals for Williamstown.
This father went to the quarter time huddle (Aker showed no interest in the coaches comments)
He went into the rooms after the game with his young son and Aker looked at the Father and Son and said "Surely that is fckn enough".
Is that what you say to a young supporter?

Aker was a brilliant player who was a very good pick up for us up until this season. He lost his pace and his form this year was ordinary. Is it no coincedence he got the sack from Brisbane when he was struggling??????
Aker today says he never lied about changing that Gay article yet when it happened a few months ago. At the time he said "I did the wrong thing and am paying for it".
Which one is it Aker?
Brilliant footballer at his best, ordinary bloke from what I am hearing

Curly5
22-07-2010, 11:35 AM
In my industry we do. You don't have to like everyone but we all have to be pulling in the same direction.

Apparently McLeod and Edwards in the Crows did not speak to each other for 10 years. However, they did not let it get in the way of both wanting to do their best for the team.

Yeah - this is not good. I am worried about the damage to the club and its reputation. A lot of people are not happy about it. It is very easy for Aker to play the sympathy card to the public because we don't and probably never will know the full story.

The pressure is really on the team and coaching staff to perform for the rest of the season and particularly the finals. If we crash and burn I don't think we'll attract a lot of sympathy from the AFL community. Fingers crossed.

No, we will never know the full story, and there is obviously a LOT more, and I mean a REAL LOT more. But people are quick to judge on very few facts and the media encourages this.

He needs to be careful (is this possible?) about what he says about the club/players etc, as if he opens his mouth about club affairs, everyone will realise this is exactly why he got the sack.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Aker stuffed up again! Club stuffed up big time.

Desipura
22-07-2010, 12:35 PM
yes how so? TCD I have not seen you give your opinion? If you are willing, I would be interested to know.

The Coon Dog
22-07-2010, 12:43 PM
yes how so? TCD I have not seen you give your opinion? If you are willing, I would be interested to know.
Are you going to ask that of all other posters who haven't given an opinion?

Desipura
22-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Are you going to ask that of all other posters who haven't given an opinion?
No Im not

Ghost Dog
22-07-2010, 01:33 PM

It's hard to know really. The club can claim all sorts of things without having to divulge one iota.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Nobody knows anything for sure. Certainly not going to trust anything I read in the currant bun. :)
There are two sides to each story I guess. That's all I am saying.

Throughandthrough
22-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm glad he's gone, based on the assumption that the leadership group wanted him gone.

For the people who didn't want him sacked, how many more chances should he have got?

Or what standards are acceptible if he was kicking 5 goals every week?

To take it to the nth degree, if he kicked 8 goals this weekend for us vs Freeo, and then came out and said

"proof that i am good, the dogs need me, Eade has no idea as a coach, Johnno is selfish, Huddo is a dinosaur, Ward has poor skills under pressure ehen tackled from his left side, but lucky i played well" would you keep him at the club?

There has to be a line, and in our clubs decision, based on MUCH more then we know, he crossed the line.

BulldogBelle
22-07-2010, 02:09 PM
One thing I find frustrating is how other posters believe that they can arrive at an informed decision on the basis that Smorgon's/Rose's etc, character or judgement is better than Aker's.

Also, the fact that Aka was kicked out of 2 clubs does not automatically mean that he is in the wrong.

I question the fragility of or club and leadership team to be unable to deal with an 'individual'.

The club has gone to great pains to tell us they have made the 'hard' decision.
Yet, I believe this decision has borne out a weakness of the club in allowing one player to destabilise the club to such a degree by committing a set of ambiguous and questionable acts.

I'll have to disagree with Libba, we may be galvanised for a brief period of time, but I am more convinced now of our mental discipline and inferiority to the top 3.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Smorgon and Rose work to better the Bulldogs. Aker was working to better him self

Mofra
22-07-2010, 02:15 PM
One thing I find frustrating is how other posters believe that they can arrive at an informed decision on the basis that Smorgon's/Rose's etc, character or judgement is better than Aker's.
Smorgan, Rose, Fantasia, the bulk of the playing group, Garlick....

In the end it's simple numbers. Are the entire powerbroking group from the club wrong, or one person (Aker) who has a history of playing by his own rules?

Balance of probability suggests Aker is not the innocent party in this.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2010, 02:21 PM
I'll have to disagree with Libba, we may be galvanised for a brief period of time, but I am more convinced now of our mental discipline and inferiority to the top 3.

Well, Libba has his son coming through, so I doubt he will be impartial. Any comments on Dough Hawkins on the Radio? He seems to be in Aker's corner.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Smorgon and Rose work to better the Bulldogs. Aker was working to better him self

Bravo. Sums up the whole saga.

The club/a business wouldnt cut a perfomring asset just for the hell of it. Aker was an underperforming, disruptive, selfish individual.

Plenty of eveidnce across his career and in recent times. I'm not sure how anyone can miss this point.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 03:05 PM

If that was the plan he wouldn't have been give a new contract when they couldn't trust him. In the end, the club is at fault.

Murphy'sLore
22-07-2010, 03:10 PM
It's sad that it's ended this way and of course Aker feels disappointed and bitter, he will lash out and that's only to be expected under the circumstances.

But the club must have realised what the fallout would be (it's raining all around us today); they wouldn't have taken this decision lightly. I just hope that the club can maintain some dignity and not rise to the bait that Aker is strewing on all sides (pardon mixed metaphors!)

In his prime and latterly, in flashes, Aker was a brilliant player. Sadly those flashes were few and far between this year. It's a real shame for him that he'll be remembered, not for the genius of his feet, but for his inability to keep those same feet out of his big gob.

ledge
22-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Well, Libba has his son coming through, so I doubt he will be impartial. Any comments on Dough Hawkins on the Radio? He seems to be in Aker's corner.

Doug is not the brightest spark and to go on the radio was going to be under the pump on taking sides.
I thought he handled it quite well, his point was he didnt believe in leadership groups and that Richmond put a 20 yo into a leadership group was quite good.
The balance of having a leadership group and who has what say can be a delicate balance.
Love Doug and we all know his heart is in the right spot but this was a definite ambush on him by Aker and Pricey, well done Doug for not being too sucked in.
I think it was terrible for the radio station to have him on trying to get him offside with his club?
Aker knows he is a favouite son, it was all about Aker again , no concern for Dougs position he would be in .
Must say Aker was damaged by one of his mates last Thursday in Sam Newman.

Desipura
22-07-2010, 03:47 PM
But the club must have realised what the fallout would be (it's raining all around us today); they wouldn't have taken this decision lightly. I just hope that the club can maintain some dignity and not rise to the bait that Aker is strewing on all sides (pardon mixed metaphors!)

Of course they were aware of the fallout. I made mention on this same forum after the gay article, if he was to be sacked all hell would break loose. It was no suprise to me and am sure no surprise to the MC.
For the club to take such extreme measures by sacking one of the most talked about players 5 weeks before finals, tells me that the relationship was untenable.
Why else would the club risk having another wasted season?

If Aker was still on our list and was not picked to play in the seniors in the next few weeks (whether form warranted it or not), he would still be destabilising our side through the media. I would rather it happen now (allbeit in the lead up of an important game) than during the finals.
Im hoping over time what he says later on in the season is not as much as a headline, by then Knights will probably get the sack or Cousins will be in trouble AGAIN.

Ozza
22-07-2010, 04:54 PM
It was certainly a big day for AFL news with Aker being sacked and Kosi fined $7000 due to no spectators being allowed on the ground....

Mofra
22-07-2010, 05:13 PM
It was certainly a big day for AFL news with Aker being sacked and Kosi fined $7000 due to no spectators being allowed on the ground....
Pay that :D