PDA

View Full Version : Akermanis sacked by Dogs

The Coon Dog
21-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 21 July

EXCLUSIVE: JASON Akermanis tumultuous four-year partnership at the Western Bulldogs is over.

Akermanis was given his marching orders at a meeting today for what is believed to be ongoing breaches of trust.

An announcement from the club is imminent where the Dogs will explain the reasons for the decision.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/akermanis-sacked-by-dogs/story-e6frf9jf-1225895166894)

chef
21-07-2010, 05:26 PM
He left us no other option.

ratsmac
21-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Has this cost us a premiership??? I dunno where I sit with this

ReLoad
21-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Certainly didnt think it would come to this, but Kudos to the club for showing some balls.

This is exactly the firecracker a few players need.

On another note, Thanks for the fun times Aker, its a shame it ended this way, but thanks for the way you played the game on feild, it was a true delight watching you in the red white and blue.

Champion Player, but along with it he is a Champion Knobhead.

Ozza
21-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Has this cost us a premiership??? I dunno where I sit with this

Personally I'd say thats doubtful. Its been 7, 8 & 9 years since Aker was brilliant in a Grand Final. His finals for us have been ok. He didn't have much impact in either Prelim, or in either semi final really for that matter.

We will never know what he could have done - but at 33 years old - and having played very ordinary early this year - I'd say it hasn't cost us a premiership - there will be 22 blokes very capable of carrying that out if we play well enough.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Not happy with this, he can't help us sitting in the grandstand, what a waste.

The Pie Man
21-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Wonder what the final straw was - but it's the end result that matters. Let's just ignore everything he says at least until October

Ghost Dog
21-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Certainly didnt think it would come to this, but Kudos to the club for showing some balls.

On another note, Thanks for the fun times Aker, its a shame it ended this way, but thanks for the way you played the game on feild, it was a true delight watching you in the red white and blue.

I like this post. I kind of agree with the sentiment too. I don't think he IS an knobhead but can certainly act like one. All the best Jason. I hope it doesn't affect our finals but, I do admire decisive action and if we lose at least we lose decisively. Play ball!

The Boy From Brasil
21-07-2010, 05:46 PM
He left us no other option.

Agree 100%. It was a disaster of a situation. The sooner it ended the better for the club IMO.

Incidentally, what percentage of bulldog supporters would you think would support the decision and what percentage would be against?

Ozza
21-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Agree 100%. It was a disaster of a situation. The sooner it ended the better for the club IMO.

Incidentally, what percentage of bulldog supporters would you think would support the decision and what percentage would be against?

Will be very interesting to see how the fans on teh whole take it.

Put me down for one vote in the "I think its a good decision" bracket.

chef
21-07-2010, 05:49 PM

If they knew what was going on behind the scenes you would think that the majority of our supporters would support the clubs decision.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2010, 05:58 PM
I hope they reveal all the details and why they decided to pull the pin.

This is a really terrible end.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I hope they reveal all the details and why they decided to pull the pin.

This is a really terrible end.

There is no way that is going to happen. Of all the issues surrounding Aker, this decison must stay in-house. Otherwise the club is a sitting duck.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:22 PM
And without knowing the situation the jury is out for me. If anything, its bad timing, it leaves no option to play or not play him and I really hope he doesnt give us a big send off pre finals.

Mantis
21-07-2010, 06:23 PM
There is no way that is going to happen. Of all the issues surrounding Aker, this decison must stay in-house. Otherwise the club is a sitting duck.

I am sure we will hear Aker's version and if he flings mud are we just going to cop it or will we respond?

bornadog
21-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Surely his contract has a confidentiality clause which means we can sue him if he breaches it

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't see him coming out guns blazing. I do see him criticising the decision and maybe slipping the odd sly comment, but why impact book sales?

Seriously, I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I've been defending him all week and will continue to do so, and I'm shattered we've lost him — would've been handy against Collingwood purely for the psychological aspect. On the other hand, if he's done things behind the curtain we're unaware of and this is simply the club saying, “Nothing will stand in our way” like they did with Scott West, then I'm for it.

I guess I'll save my judgment for the 27 of September.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I am sure we will hear Aker's version and if he flings mud are we just going to cop it or will we respond?

We have offered our reasons at the Press Conference. From this point on we should maintain a dignified silence, something Aker could not do and will not do in the future.

He will never realise it but by commenting on it further he will simply dig a bigger hole for himself.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2010, 06:30 PM

I'm probably of the same vein.

If we don't at least make the Grand Final, more heads should roll.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Remember our Club is bigger than any individual. It must always be the Club first. David Smorgon has shown great leadership in this matter.
________
INTERRACIAL MILF (http://www.****tube.com/categories/713/milf/videos/1)

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Remember our Club is bigger than any individual. It must always be the Club first. David Smorgon has shown great leadership in this matter.

I understand the reasons, I just hope we haven't just done a Carlton.

BulldogBelle
21-07-2010, 06:48 PM
This club has made the right choice. With all the issues with Aker this year l am sure the club with hindsight wished they had not signed him up for 2010.

In general he has been good for the club but it all went sour. Brisbane all over again for Aker!

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm probably of the same vein.

If we don't at least make the Grand Final, more heads should roll.

So you consider this the only factor in our appearance in the GF?

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 06:55 PM
I was an aker fan and Still like him as a player but I feel he has become too distracting and definetly not a team player. I think the club has made the right decision and we can now concentrate on September with the players that are giving the club 100%.

Saw aker a few weeks ago after the game - my 6 year old yelled out Hi Aker - and he would not even acknowledge him - thats not like Aker and he lost my support then.... He definetly heard him and knew he was there.

The club is paying out his contract - so he will not be disadvantaged financially.

Ozza
21-07-2010, 06:55 PM
I understand the reasons, I just hope we haven't just done a Carlton.

Not sure what 'done a Carlton' means?

Carlton are in the same position they were this time last year. Brisbane are about to finish 6,7 or 8 spots lower than last year. Footy clubs are places that can not tolerate people that put themselves first in every conceivable scenario - and can not tolerate dills who make a spectacle of themselves.

Sacking Fev is about the only thing I like or respect about Carlton.

KT31
21-07-2010, 06:58 PM
I was an aker fan and Still like him as a player but I feel he has become too distracting and definetly not a team player. I think the club has made the right decision and we can now concentrate on September with the players that are giving the club 100%.

The club is paying out his contract - so he will not be disadvantaged financially.

Totally agree with this and with us paying out his contract , I'm sure it will have a "make no waves clause".

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Agree Susie, the club must always be bigger than any individual. However, this is tinged with sadness for me - I did love watching him play in the red, white and blue and feel it's a shame it had to end this way. I can appreciate the club's reasons, and accept them, but it's just a bit sad, that's all :confused:

GVGjr
21-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Perhaps the club should have had the foresight of not offering him a one year deal or a deal that gave him access to so much media work.
Akermanis did the wrong thing and deserved to go but I don't think the club managed it all too well.
Did we learn anything from what happened in Brisbane?

chef
21-07-2010, 07:22 PM

He has and Fantasia was very good at the news conference too.

GVGjr
21-07-2010, 07:49 PM

I agree about the club being bigger than the individual but I'm not convinced that Smorgon displayed great leadership leading up to today's decision. The final answer was right but I think Akermanis orchestrated it and didn't give Smorgon or the club any alternatives.

There was problem in the early part of the season that was kept in house and perhaps a greater level of leadership then might have set the standard for the balance of the season.

Not unhappy with the outcome of today but I can't pat the club on the back for how this played out.

GVGjr
21-07-2010, 07:50 PM
He has and Fantasia was very good at the news conference too.

They are both very impressive speakers.

westdog54
21-07-2010, 07:58 PM
As painful as it is, the correct decision has been made here. If aker could not be trusted by the playing then his place in the team is not viable. At the end of the day he was given the chance to show where the club was in his list of priorities and his actions have been his answer.

craigsahibee
21-07-2010, 08:11 PM
I think, no, I know it was the right decision. It does mean we will have to put up will informed opinions from the media and talk back morons but after we win on Sunday it will soon blow over. The big question that needs to be answered is "How will young Seb react to all of this?".

Stefcep
21-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Read this on The Age and it expressed my sentiments exactly:

"All a bit farcical how we sack one person for telling a few tales in the media and we keep others on for drugs, drinking, public displays of aggression and worse (and we know who and what)..."

I think he was the one guy we have that has a true "X-factor" about him, and I hope I'm wrong but we will regret this come the pressure of finals where we have history of not stepping up for the big stage.

bornadog
21-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Read this on The Age and it expressed my sentiments exactly:

"All a bit farcical how we sack one person for telling a few tales in the media and we keep others on for drugs, drinking, public displays of aggression and worse (and we know who and what)..."

I think he was the one guy we have that has a true "X-factor" about him, and I hope I'm wrong but we will regret this come the pressure of finals where we have history of not stepping up for the big stage.

He was sacked for more than just telling a few tales in the media, the tales were confidential information that should not have been discussed.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 09:34 PM

Perhaps. Put that footy in Akermanis' hands last year instead of Gia's in the last minutes and our season might've been a week longer.

My point is, when we haven't even played the Granny since 1961 giving away even a millimeter of advantage is not wise — and Aker has proven to be an advantage come finals time, mouth notwithstanding.

Not sure what 'done a Carlton' means?

Carlton are in the same position they were this time last year. Brisbane are about to finish 6,7 or 8 spots lower than last year. Footy clubs are places that can not tolerate people that put themselves first in every conceivable scenario - and can not tolerate dills who make a spectacle of themselves.

Sacking Fev is about the only thing I like or respect about Carlton.

Why are Carlton in the same position as last year? Because they don't have a forward. They haven't grown and will not.

I agree about the club being bigger than the individual but I'm not convinced that Smorgon displayed great leadership leading up to today's decision. The final answer was right but I think Akermanis orchestrated it and didn't give Smorgon or the club any alternatives.

There was problem in the early part of the season that was kept in house and perhaps a greater level of leadership then might have set the standard for the balance of the season.

Not unhappy with the outcome of today but I can't pat the club on the back for how this played out.

Absolutely. Whilst I won't criticise 100% the decision and I understand the reasons behind it (or think I do based on what we've been told) I don't think that pandering to the media circus, and sacking a player to relieve the club of distraction instead of just being mentally tough enough to do the job week in week out DESPITE the distraction is just not up to scratch for me.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 09:37 PM

So True Susie.
But read my reply on the 1st post about this

Mantis
21-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Perhaps. Put that footy in Akermanis' hands last year instead of Gia's in the last minutes and our season might've been a week longer.

Why wasn't it? Because he couldn't get the damn thing.

I posted sometime after the PF that Aker played like an 'old man' in that game and his only real influence was when he kicked the ball out deliberately.

chef
21-07-2010, 09:41 PM
They are both very impressive speakers.

We are very lucky to have the guys that we have running our club.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 09:45 PM

So True Susie, and Neither David,Fantasia or Rocket Bagged Aka.

It was very diplomatical.
I hope tho that Aka, with all his failings and attributes, is not otrisized from the club(I hope that's the way to spell it) he has been a Good asset to the club until this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2010, 10:50 PM

No, but if the club wants to take a stance in regards to the betterment of our Premiership aspirations then I expect them to do the same if we fail again. Not just roll the dice with the same cattle and hope our numbers finally 'come up'.

AndrewP6
22-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Wonder what the final straw was - but it's the end result that matters. Let's just ignore everything he says at least until October

I wish they'd tell us what any of the straws were. Aside from airy-fairy "team ethos" and "club culture" crap that doesn't actually tell us anything.

AndrewP6
22-07-2010, 12:29 AM

That's probably true, but they must in turn be ready for Aker's supporters to vent their anger.

Taylors lakes member
22-07-2010, 12:31 AM
why would they sacked aka this close to finals :mad:

FrediKanoute
22-07-2010, 01:05 AM
I don't see him coming out guns blazing. I do see him criticising the decision and maybe slipping the odd sly comment, but why impact book sales?

Seriously, I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I've been defending him all week and will continue to do so, and I'm shattered we've lost him — would've been handy against Collingwood purely for the psychological aspect. On the other hand, if he's done things behind the curtain we're unaware of and this is simply the club saying, “Nothing will stand in our way” like they did with Scott West, then I'm for it.

The club is bigger than any individual. The club wont succeed unless the collective playing group embrace the collective objective.

Slagging off you teammates can hardly be productive....

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Thankfully a lot of you know that even tho I say "I'm Just a Loud Mouthed Shnook" I definately am NOT AKA

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I would like to wish Jason all the best in the Future and it is such a pity that he has left Our Club on such a sour note.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Methinks he won't be in the stands at any of our remaining matches! :)

Or Willy's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 07:22 PM
We are very lucky to have the guys that we have running our club.

Absolutely. David Smorgon should be inducted into the HOF once his days as Prez are over.

ratsmac
23-07-2010, 11:00 AM

My point is, when we haven't even played the Granny since 1961 giving away even a millimeter of advantage is not wise — and Aker has proven to be an advantage come finals time, mouth notwithstanding.

Why are Carlton in the same position as last year? Because they don't have a forward. They haven't grown and will not.

Absolutely. Whilst I won't criticise 100% the decision and I understand the reasons behind it (or think I do based on what we've been told) I don't think that pandering to the media circus, and sacking a player to relieve the club of distraction instead of just being mentally tough enough to do the job week in week out DESPITE the distraction is just not up to scratch for me.

I think Akers best has past him. Gia had the ball and got himself to the best position to at least have a shot. Where was Aker? Aker played in that game and he didn't kick this magic X-factor goal everyone is talking about. We needed that goal in the prelim and he didn't deliver when he was in reasonable form, so why will he kick the match winning goal when he has had a very ordinary season. Aker was a champion, but now he is just 1 of 22. I think we can more than cover him going by his current form.

Desipura
23-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Surely the bottom line is you follow the club not one individual player. If the MC's thought a player was a major distraction to the club and had no choice but to sack him, then I would have to agree with the decision. (Note: No other big name player in recent times, has been sacked during the season by our club).

At the end of the day Aker was a good marketing for our club, no doubt about that. We also gave him the opportunity to earn very good $$$ in the twilight of his career.
Next year he will only have his media career as a money earner (unless he decides to play for the Gold Coast)
The club has moved on, unfortunately I am not so sure Aker will for a while..........

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Next year he will only have his media career as a money earner (unless he decides to play for the Gold Coast)

Travis Auld has said he doesn't fit in with their plan to build around the draftees....