PDA

View Full Version : Easton Wood

EasternWest
21-07-2010, 08:11 PM
On a bad news day, just wanted to add something positive.

Geez Easton just looks like a footballer.

I love Addison (surprise), but Wood owns that position at this point.

comrade
21-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Yep, I'm a big fan. He hasn't followed the traditional junior path, so his scope for development is quite broad.

Once he's played 50-100 games and is settled at the highest level, he'll be a gun.

Scorlibo
21-07-2010, 09:06 PM
One of those deceptively quick players, takes long strides. I agree I really like his drive from the backline, doesn't make many mistakes and can play tall or small with his leap. Give him another season in the seniors and he could become a very good player.

Bumper Bulldogs
21-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Agree and I think he has the taste to put in a full solid pre-season so look out next year he could be anything. He reminds me a little of Griff when he started down back but from memory has more run and ticker than Griff.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2010, 10:30 PM
I predicted he'd have a break out year and he's proved me right.

The only concern is his disposal by foot. Seems to really blow a couple a game and in tight games against good opposition, it has the potential for disaster. However - I really like Wood as a player. Runs straight and generally looks to keep the ball moving forward rather than sideways or backwards. The fact that he can play on smalls or 'medium' talls (Eg. Schulz) is a very handy asset. He's certainly made our back half look a lot better, taking pressure off Gilbee, Harbrow and Hargrave.

He'll take an absolute huge hanger one day, too.

Swoop
22-07-2010, 01:00 AM
With the zones & tactics that are being implemented in modern day football his ability to run and carry the ball and break the lines in order to penetrate the zones is quite a valuable asset.

His decision making needs to improve but having said that I'm sure he is under instruction to run with the football wherever possible similarly to Griffen, a by-product of these instructions would be pressured and rushed disposal however I believe the reward outweighs the negatives.

He has a very bright future ahead.

Go_Dogs
22-07-2010, 10:32 AM
With the zones & tactics that are being implemented in modern day football his ability to run and carry the ball and break the lines in order to penetrate the zones is quite a valuable asset.

His decision making needs to improve but having said that I'm sure he is under instruction to run with the football wherever possible similarly to Griffen, a by-product of these instructions would be pressured and rushed disposal however I believe the reward outweighs the negatives.

He has a very bright future ahead.

Spot on Swoop, I agree with all you have said.

Super quick ball movement is obviously key in the modern game, and Wood is another player who can very quickly create space and kick long over the zone before they get back into position.

Like you say, the instruction would be to take them on, and like Griff, we'll forget a few times he gets caught, but he does need to continue to work on his awareness. Whilst I think he is pretty quick, I wouldn't say he's super quick, and off the mark he's not hugely explosive, but once he strides out can cover the ground pretty quickly as Scorlibo made reference to.

Needs to improve/more consistently kick long to the forwards advantage and can still tend to bomb and hope to a pack of opposition. Learning to lower the eyes and spot up shorter, leading targets more often is another dimension that would improve his game.

I certainly agree that he has a good future ahead of him if he can continue to develop, and I'm definitely happy to continue with him in the shorter term too, as I think he's a good inclusion and will go well in high intensity contests as he demonstrated a little last year.

bornadog
22-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Sometimes you can tell a player has got it, the way they move, their action and skills etc. Wood certainly looks the goods, he just needs the experience.

Mofra
22-07-2010, 10:52 AM
His decision making needs to improve but having said that I'm sure he is under instruction to run with the football wherever possible similarly to Griffen
Interesting you mention that, as someone at work mentioned it was almost like having Griffen's run and carry off the HB line again.

He is clearly ahead of what anyone would have expected his development timeline to be: in a backline of Lake, Morris, Williams, Harbrow, Shaggy and Murphy going back there, he has somehow managed to stamp out a spot in our best 22.

He tends to be a little different to our other rebounders for mine; more of a straight ahead, see space & run into type of rebounder as opposed to Gilbee's long spot-ups, Harbrow's evasiveness and Shaggy running wide down the wing to deliver. Seems to favour the corridor much more.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Here's an interesting stat.

From his 5 games this year, Easton Wood has a kicking efficiency of 85.1% placing him number one in the club.

Desipura
22-07-2010, 11:54 AM

From his 5 games this year, Easton Wood has a kicking efficiency of 85.1% placing him number one in the club.

That is interesting......

Mantis
22-07-2010, 12:03 PM

How is kicking efficiency measured?

Desipura
22-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Im glad you asked, I was not going to this time. :D

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 01:02 PM

Hitting the target

Mantis
22-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Hitting the target

That being the case I wouldn't have thought that Easton hits the target 5 times out of 6.

I thought somewhere along the line that a kick over 40m that didn't result in the opposition winning clear possssion was an effective kick... Is that not the case?

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 01:31 PM
That being the case I wouldn't have thought that Easton hits the target 5 times out of 6.

I thought somewhere along the line that a kick over 40m that didn't result in the opposition winning clear possssion was an effective kick... Is that not the case?

What has 40 metres got to do with anything?

Mate, I'm not producing the stats. They are prepared by Pro-Stats. If you and Des want to dispute them, give them a call and tell them where they are going wrong.:confused:

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 01:32 PM

Yep, was just going to post this -- long kicks are measured as effective regardless of outcome, which is a little bit bollocks, but hey.

Mofra
22-07-2010, 02:17 PM
He does have a propensity to look for the longer option which is not a bad thing long term. He's exceeded 2010 expectations by all accounts and is set for a massive 2011.

Desipura
22-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Yep, was just going to post this -- long kicks are measured as effective regardless of outcome, which is a little bit bollocks, but hey.

Stats bollocks? Surely not :rolleyes:
Dont question anything EJ Smith posts as we know he does not like it. It upsets him when someone asks a perfectly sensible question.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 03:42 PM
S It upsets him when someone asks a perfectly sensible question.

How would you know - you haven't asked one yet:rolleyes:

Desipura
22-07-2010, 03:51 PM
How would you know - you haven't asked one yet:rolleyes:

I did and Mantis did and you cracked the sulks.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I did and Mantis did and you cracked the sulks.

Nah, EJ is cool.. and so are you and Mantis, of course. Let's all take a deep breath.. :)

Desipura
22-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Nah, EJ is cool.. and so are you and Mantis, of course. Let's all take a deep breath.. :)
Group hug :D

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Group hug :D

That's the (somewhat gay, to labour the point from another thread, not that there's anything wrong with that) spirit...

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 04:27 PM
That's the (somewhat gay, to labour the point from another thread, not that there's anything wrong with that) spirit...

I'm not going there:D

Desipura
22-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm not going there:D
Me neither, I dont share soap with anyone. :D

Scorlibo
22-07-2010, 06:35 PM
He tends to be a little different to our other rebounders for mine; more of a straight ahead, see space & run into type of rebounder as opposed to Gilbee's long spot-ups, Harbrow's evasiveness and Shaggy running wide down the wing to deliver. Seems to favour the corridor much more.

Agree with that, although a lot of the time I mistake him for Gilbee, who tends to use the corridor whenever he can also. Another Gilbee? Another Griffen? Either way, I'm happy.

Correct.

Not quite regardless of outcome, they can't be clanger kicks as Mantis mentioned. It stacks up when you think about it, if a player launches a long ball from the centre circle into the middle of their fifty, and the ball at that point is anyone's to win, I'd say that's a pretty good result for the team in question.

They are prepared by Pro-Stats.

Champion Data source the official AFL stats.

stefoid
23-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Me neither, I dont share soap with anyone. :D

Friends at last, united in homophobia :)

Dancin' Douggy
25-07-2010, 07:26 PM
What a cracking game from Easton today.
An absolute cracker.

GVGjr
25-07-2010, 07:32 PM
An absolute cracker.

Yes it was a break out game for him. C

BulldogBelle
25-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Showed us a bit of what he can do.

He will further improve over the next few months.

Johnno will just get worse.

The Underdog
25-07-2010, 08:37 PM
He was a massive plus for me today. I think he gives us a guy in the backline capable of both doing a defensive job and taking some offensive pressure off Harbrow. I think his disposal is still 50/50 but there's huge potential there and man does he throw himself into a contest. That contest in the middle where he just bent down, got under Palmer and hit him while gaining possession was magic

azabob
25-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Showed us a bit of what he can do.

He will further improve over the next few months.

Johnno will just get worse.

Yes Johnson has had a poor year by his standards and should not escape criticism, however not sure of the need to put it in a thread about Wood.

Mantis
25-07-2010, 08:42 PM

This part of his game really stood out today.

And as The Underdog posted while his kicking still isn't a great strength his ability to defend well and then split the opposition up the middle with his powerful runs mean he is going to develop into a pretty valuable player.

Nice that our improvement is coming from many of our young guys who are really stepping up to the plate.

Desipura
25-07-2010, 09:02 PM
This part of his game really stood out today.

And as The Underdog posted while his kicking still isn't a great strength his ability to defend well and then split the opposition up the middle with his powerful runs mean he is going to develop into a pretty valuable player.

Nice that our improvement is coming from many of our young guys who are really stepping up to the plate.
Off topic, Ward's kicking is a bit up and down for mine. He delivered a beauty to Hall however missed a few set shots and missed his teammates on more than a few occasions. The ball just did not spin like a drop punt should. I hope he can get more consistency with his kicks in the next few weeks.

Bulldog Revolution
25-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Great performance from Wood - he is a straight line footballer, and you could see his confidence growing before your eyes today

And fine timing starting this thread a week in advance DFA

Scorlibo
25-07-2010, 10:05 PM
It has just struck me how similar he is, with the long-distance power running especially, to Farren Ray. He is more powerful than Farren ever was, but other aspects of his game including his marking and kicking are quite similar really.

Mofra
25-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Wood was near our BOG at half-time for mine.
I think any disposal deficiancies are because he tries to do too much at times, but that may be just a little to do with poise which will come with experience.
His style of play is exactly the type that breaks down opposition zones. I'm convinced he will kick the longest goal in AFL history one day - will take the ball in the back pocket & run it the length of the field to put it through.

anfo27
25-07-2010, 11:02 PM
I love watching this kid play and will really enjoy watching him develop in the coming years. With Wood coming on quicker than we all thought does this lessen the impact of Harbrow's likely departure to GC17?

AndrewP6
25-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I love watching this kid play and will really enjoy watching him develop in the coming years. With Wood coming on quicker than we all thought does this lessen the impact of Harbrow's likely departure to GC17?

I'd been concerned about this, but Wood has been impressive. Here's hoping he can continue on the upward curve when...sorry, IF ;) Jarrod goes.

EasternWest
26-07-2010, 11:24 AM
An absolute cracker.

Yes.

Yes it was a break out game for him. C

Yes.

Great performance from Wood - he is a straight line footballer, and you could see his confidence growing before your eyes today

And fine timing starting this thread a week in advance DFA

I'd like to claim uncanny prescience for this one, but I have to give some of the credit to Wood :D!

How about the lunging screamer he went for? Exhilarating stuff.

I love that he came down hard a few times, looked a bit rattled for a second, then just got on with it.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 11:35 AM
How about the lunging screamer he went for? Exhilarating stuff.

I love that he came down hard a few times, looked a bit rattled for a second, then just got on with it.

While it was great from a spectator point I'm not sure the coaching staff would have been too thrilled. We were out-numbered 2 to 3 at the contest and when Easton crashed down without ball in hand we were out-numbered 1 to 3.

I'm not one to want players to not play to their strengths or without risk, but Easton has to be careful when deciding if the reward in this case was worth the risk. I guess when we are 12+ goals in front it is, but I would hope he would make a smarter decision if the game was in the balance.

Jasper
26-07-2010, 11:43 AM
It has just struck me how similar he is, with the long-distance power running especially, to Farren Ray. He is more powerful than Farren ever was, but other aspects of his game including his marking and kicking are quite similar really.

Farren Who??

Farren's first option is to go backwards or sideways.
The 2006 version is about the only one worth referencing when he burned down the wing at the G against the Pies.
That Farren is dead to me.

I'm a little biased cos Easton's grandma lives across the road from me, but the kid can play. As can Brodie Moles. Neither should be out of our first 22 the rest of the season.

EasternWest
26-07-2010, 11:44 AM
While it was great from a spectator point I'm not sure the coaching staff would have been too thrilled. We were out-numbered 2 to 3 at the contest and when Easton crashed down without ball in hand we were out-numbered 1 to 3.

I'm not one to want players to not play to their strengths or without risk, but Easton has to be careful when deciding if the reward in this case was worth the risk. I guess when we are 12+ goals in front it is, but I would hope he would make a smarter decision if the game was in the balance.

That's probably a pretty reasonable statement, I take your point.

But what would be said if he came down with it (and he didn't miss by much)? I'd rather see him do what comes naturally to him. It's working ok so far.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 12:01 PM

But what would be said if he came down with it (and he didn't miss by much)? I'd rather see him do what comes naturally to him. It's working ok so far.

I am over "if's".

EasternWest
26-07-2010, 12:53 PM
I am over "if's".

Hmm, reasonable answer :rolleyes:.

It seems that people like Wood's attacking style and dash, and while you raise a reasonable issue, you don't have a response when a counter issue is raised?

If you're going to disagree, fine, no problem with that. But at least tell me why.

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 01:00 PM

I wouldn't. It's all about what is best for the team; not the individual. The odds were too far stacked against him

Given we had the game iced it was not going to make a big difference but attempting a mark like that against the odds in a final could mean the diffference betwen winning and losing.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Hmm, reasonable answer :rolleyes:.

It seems that people like Wood's attacking style and dash, and while you raise a reasonable issue, you don't have a response when a counter issue is raised?

If you're going to disagree, fine, no problem with that. But at least tell me why.

If Easton Wood had have taken that mark it would have been great.

But I don't feel the risk was worth the reward in this case. Sure it looks spectacular flying through the air, but if you don't gather the ball you look quite silly (atleast to me) when you are spread-eagled on the ground while your opponent runs off with the ball.

While I enjoy the way Wood plays, he needs to able to qwell his natural instincts on occasions and play with less risk. I would have more excited if he had belted the ball over the line on this occassion than if he had taken the mark, but that maybe just me.

(The if's was more to do with past stuff, such as if Gia had kicked the goal in the PF, etc.... I feel we as supporters live on 'if's' too much and I would prefer more 'do's')

EasternWest
26-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't. It's all about what is best for the team; not the individual. The odds were too far stacked against him

Given we had the game iced it was not going to make a big difference but attempting a mark like that against the odds in a final could mean the diffference betwen winning and losing.

Sensible. Probably true.

I still don't mind it. Maybe it's his exuberance that led him to do it, and he'll wisen up with experience, but I liked it.

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I think Wood was great yesterday, Love his attack on the footy and how compewtetive he is in one on one battles, don't think he lost one yesterday.

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Very much enjoyed Easton's game today, and it was great to see him kick a goal! All in all, yesterday showed me what great talent we have coming up - such a positive!

mjp
26-07-2010, 03:09 PM

If you are going to go, impact the contest. He did that.

Not sure the coaches would be all that concerned...you have to risk stuffing it up to be successful. He had a flat out go at it, impacted the ball....what else could he do?

Mantis
26-07-2010, 03:19 PM
If you are going to go, impact the contest. He did that.

But was his impact on the contest enough to warrant his decision to attempt the mark?

Not sure the coaches would be all that concerned...you have to risk stuffing it up to be successful. He had a flat out go at it, impacted the ball....what else could he do?

Punched the ball towards the boundary line or atleast away from the area of the contest.

As it was the ball was still in the immediate area after Wood was on the deck and the Freo players were able to immediately gather the ball and were able to clear the ball. If the ball had been knocked away from the contest it would have meant a delay in the play setting up.

As EJ pointed out we weren't hurt by this specific play, but if it was at a vital point in an important game and the exact same thing occured I would be pretty disappointed.

mjp
26-07-2010, 03:47 PM
As EJ pointed out we weren't hurt by this specific play, but if it was at a vital point in an important game and the exact same thing occured I would be pretty disappointed.

What if the exact same thing occurred, but he held the mark?

We can't always get the players to wear our conservative "don't stuff it up" hats - especially when they are only 20.

- Nothing bad happened.
- He took a chance that could have led to something remarkable.
- Having lost several games to Geelong, St Kilda, Hawthorn recently by small margins, I want more aggression/risk taking and not less...

If we are going down, let's go down in flames.

From a coaching perspective, my message would be to other players - specifically whoever it was who allowed us to be outnumbered at that contest. To me, that is where the problem was, not in the attempt to mark.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 04:00 PM
What if the exact same thing occurred, but he held the mark?

We can't always get the players to wear our conservative "don't stuff it up" hats - especially when they are only 20.

- Nothing bad happened.
- He took a chance that could have led to something remarkable.
- Having lost several games to Geelong, St Kilda, Hawthorn recently by small margins, I want more aggression/risk taking and not less...

If we are going down, let's go down in flames.

From a coaching perspective, my message would be to other players - specifically whoever it was who allowed us to be outnumbered at that contest. To me, that is where the problem was, not in the attempt to mark.

I reckon he would have held that mark in possibly 1 out of 10 attempts so in that specific situation I would have thought it would be better to play the percentages, but I guess in the heat of the moment the player doesn't really have time to take this into consideration.

I agree that we will need to play with dare to beat the top teams and as part of this we will need to find the correct balance in the risk/reward situations which I guess isn't something we have been able to do as yet.

Mofra
26-07-2010, 04:02 PM
While I enjoy the way Wood plays, he needs to able to qwell his natural instincts on occasions and play with less risk.
I can't agree here - the only way to beat the top sides is to play a risky style of football, and pull it off. Once we go into our shells, we're doomed.
If his natural inclination is to fly for the mark, then we shouldn't stop that. Once a player departs from instinct it encourages indecision and confusion.

mighty_west
26-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I can't agree here - the only way to beat the top sides is to play a risky style of football, and pull it off. Once we go into our shells, we're doomed.
If his natural inclination is to fly for the mark, then we shouldn't stop that. Once a player departs from instinct it encourages indecision and confusion.

Agreed.

What happens if Leo Barry plays it safe during the '05 Granny and tries & punches rather than going for the game saving grab?

Lake & Harbrow continually back themselves in, Wood also backs himself with running & taking on opponents, rather than holding up, looking sideways, back etc.

Plus being so young & in-experienced, to have that confidence, to me, shows the kid has some balls, he isn't afraid to take the game on, Premiership teams need those types of players.

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Farren Who??

Farren's first option is to go backwards or sideways.
The 2006 version is about the only one worth referencing when he burned down the wing at the G against the Pies.
That Farren is dead to me.

I'm a little biased cos Easton's grandma lives across the road from me, but the kid can play. As can Brodie Moles. Neither should be out of our first 22 the rest of the season.

Brodie reminds me of Dimma except Brodie has skill hehe :o

Mantis
26-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Pulling it off being the key point..... That sounds a little crude doesn't it.

Look I am not wanting him to play ultra conservative footy because that's not his style. I just want him to sharpen up around the edges as he has some great attributes that will make him a valuable player for many years to come, but I guess that will come with more experience and more trial and error.

Hotdog60
23-03-2015, 08:56 PM
I just thought I would bump the Esaton thread.

I think Easton looked very good in the NAB game against Collingwood and I think he is at that age which he could really be a bonus for us.

Is there any concern that he only signed a one year deal and is a free agent at seasons end.

Did he only sign a one year deal because of what was going on last year or is that all the club offered.

Easton skill sets aren't bad and could be a handy player off half back.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2015, 09:10 PM

I think Easton looked very good in the NAB game against Collingwood and I think he is at that age which he could really be a bonus for us.

Is there any concern that he only signed a one year deal and is a free agent at seasons end.

Did he only sign a one year deal because of what was going on last year or is that all the club offered.

I think he wanted the one year, but could be mistaken. He could be like Shaggy when he was relieved of playing on monsters and allowed to play a free flowing attacking game. I'm looking forward to see what position he plays this year, he could be a new recruit of sorts.

GVGjr
23-03-2015, 09:29 PM

There is always some concern but I like our chances of keeping him. His ability to play on taller players is very handy for us.
I still don't think he has reached his potential yet so we need to factor that in.

We need to make him a good offer but obviously we can't break the bank for him

Hotdog60
23-03-2015, 11:27 PM
At 25 (I think) he is now one of our senior players. With Bevo having a liking to players taking the game on Easton can use his athletic traits to good use.

always right
23-03-2015, 11:53 PM
After his breakout season last year and the age of our list, I think Wood is a must keep. He still has enormous upside.

Ozza
24-03-2015, 09:38 AM
After his breakout season last year and the age of our list, I think Wood is a must keep. He still has enormous upside.

Agree with this.

Thought Wood was excellent at times last year. You can throw up all the stats you want to suggest otherwise - but I think some of the stats are severely skewed due to a number of factors. So based on my own eyes watching the game - Wood showed massive improvement last season, and is a must in our best 22. Great athleticism and keeps his feet in crucial contests are his best traits.

Dancin' Douggy
24-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Wood is best 22 for me.

bornadog
24-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Wood is best 22 for me.

Agreed. Has started the pre-season well and seems to be flourishing with the new game plan that suits his style. Was going well on Saturday until he suffered concussion.

I think he will have a big season and hopefully we will lock him in for another 3 years.

F'scary
24-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Wood's one-on-one defending last season was second only to Morris.

Maddog37
24-03-2015, 03:25 PM
I am a fan of Easton. I feel he has massive upside. Super athletic and very brave.

Mofra
24-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Wood's one-on-one defending last season was second only to Morris.
Wood was regularly smashed last year, losing the highest no of 1 on 1s in the AFL... because we insisted on playing this 186cm defender on guys 3,4 5 inches taller than him. Some people still think he's a KPD.

If we play him on guys who aren't KPFs he will be a much better player. He is best 22 if not forced to play KPD.
Can play a Shaggy style role where he takes someone within an inch or two of his height range but is available to help his teammates out for the high ball.

always right
24-03-2015, 03:54 PM
If the Eagles select him for round one, their draftee Tom Lamb would be the perfect match-up for Easton.

F'scary
24-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Wood was regularly smashed last year, losing the highest no of 1 on 1s in the AFL... because we insisted on playing this 186cm defender on guys 3,4 5 inches taller than him. Some people still think he's a KPD.

If we play him on guys who aren't KPFs he will be a much better player. He is best 22 if not forced to play KPD.
Can play a Shaggy style role where he takes someone within an inch or two of his height range but is available to help his teammates out for the high ball.

Yeah, besides having to cover on gorillas, last year was godawful for the defenders full stop. They were more exposed than Kim Kardashian's arse. I thought Wood was really good under the circumstances, nevertheless.

Greystache
24-03-2015, 03:58 PM

If he can make the grade I see Hamling playing more like Hargrave. Some height but too skinny to play tall, but can provide a mix of defensive cover and rebound because of his pace. I think Wood can be a bit like Gilbee, provide rebound, and can defend a bit above his size when needed. His skills are obviously not as good, but he's a bit quicker than Gilbee.

There's still a number of questions over our defence obviously.

Mofra
24-03-2015, 04:58 PM
If he can make the grade I see Hamling playing more like Hargrave. Some height but too skinny to play tall, but can provide a mix of defensive cover and rebound because of his pace. I think Wood can be a bit like Gilbee, provide rebound, and can defend a bit above his size when needed. His skills are obviously not as good, but he's a bit quicker than Gilbee.

There's still a number of questions over our defence obviously.
Many, many questions.

In future teams will be forced to play three guys who are tall simply because most forwardlines will be that tall - a Hamling type who is tall and quick will be vital. I still see structural issues in the back half that will take time to resolve. Many teams have a fairly settled back 6 already, ours is up in the air - we seem to be rotating many guys through there during the NAB cup and during the season proper I'm not sure we will continue to do that

kruder
25-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Just sign him up. No need for discussion at all. He is one of the most improved players at the club we desperetly need to keep players in his age bracket is a no brainer.

S Coast Simon
26-03-2015, 04:59 PM
I agree Easton is a little beauty. He is hard as nails and runs straight. We should keep him for sure. I can also see Hamling at full back his speed his leap and his timing are great. Would also release Roughead to forward/ ruck.

bornadog
28-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Highlights of his game. http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-06-28/woods-earns-high-marks

How good has he been this year. At the start of his career, I thought he wouldn't make it as he just didn't get enough of the ball.
I also think he has been freed up abit compared to how his previous two coaches wanted him to play.

Got to be AA at this stage of the year.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Highlights of his game. http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-06-28/woods-earns-high-marks

How good has he been this year. At the start of his career, I thought he wouldn't make it as he just didn't get enough of the ball.
I also think he has been freed up abit compared to how his previous two coaches wanted him to play.

Got to be AA at this stage of the year.

Its a fair point, with all the hoo ha around our last expert development coach, Wood and Grant are excelling in new roles and guys like Dicko and Kobes have really kicked on from the way they were playing in previous years. I hope Wood can keep it up for another five years!!

Hotdog60
28-06-2015, 07:35 PM
The mark was the one going back with the flight. I loved the courage.

Sedat
28-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Well our previous coach didn't rate him as a player (or JJ for that matter). Wood has shown that assessment to be horribly incorrect.

Happy Days
28-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Well our previous coach didn't rate him as a player (or JJ for that matter). Wood has shown that assessment to be horribly incorrect.

Really?

Not trying to be a smart arse, just amazed.

Scorlibo
28-06-2015, 08:35 PM

Seems unlikely given that they both showed great growth under McCartney. What's your info Sedat?

GVGjr
28-06-2015, 09:18 PM

That's not my limited understanding because I believe both featured highly in his vision going forward. I still recall when Wood got dropped to Footscray last year and Maple outlined the reasons why and how a week back at Footscray would remedy that. Wood played exactly to what he was asked to do and was recalled for the next game. Johannisen was regarded as a player with a lot of upside.

Sedat
29-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Seems unlikely given that they both showed great growth under McCartney. What's your info Sedat?
Just a whisper I heard from someone in the know. As a side issue, I don't think either player particularly flourished in the 3 years under the BMac. Wood has certainly improved significantly this season compared to last, which is mostly a credit to the player himself.

Happy Days
29-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Just a whisper I heard from someone in the know. As a side issue, I don't think either player particularly flourished in the 3 years under the BMac. Wood has certainly improved significantly this season compared to last, which is mostly a credit to the player himself.

Shocking, I say SHOCKING that playing a player in a position suited to them rather than one that isn't could see a player significantly improve.

Ozza
29-06-2015, 12:31 PM

Wood played some really good footy last season, and a lot of faith was put in Wood to play a number of different defensive roles. And JJ was certainly growing his game in the last 2 years and finished last season strongly.

Not meaning to shoot the messenger - but find it extremely hard to believe that these players weren't rated by the previous coach.

comrade
29-06-2015, 04:03 PM
He would have been an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, yet we signed him to a multi year deal just as he switched into beast mode.

Kudos to our list management. Saved ourselves mega bucks.

Obviously enjoying his footy and our club. Big part of any future success we'll have.

G-Mo77
29-06-2015, 04:41 PM
He would have been an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, yet we signed him to a multi year deal just as he switched into beast mode.

Kudos to our list management. Saved ourselves mega bucks.

Obviously enjoying his footy and our club. Big part of any future success we'll have.

Was thinking about this Sunday. Imagine if he or we waited a little, it could have turned into a Callan Ward GWS situation. Great to have such a gun player locked away long term.

Sedat
29-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Was thinking about this Sunday. Imagine if he or we waited a little, it could have turned into a Callan Ward GWS situation. Great to have such a gun player locked away long term.
Ironically, Easton Wood was GWS' fall-back option from the Dogs if Ward decided to stay - they rated him very highly even as far back as 2011.

always right
29-06-2015, 05:51 PM
If I recall correctly there were many on this board who doubted he would make it. Even his kicking doesn't attract criticism anymore.

Shows how dramatically a career can turn if a player gets a decent run at it.

Ozza
29-06-2015, 06:11 PM
If I recall correctly there were many on this board who doubted he would make it. Even his kicking doesn't attract criticism anymore.

Shows how dramatically a career can turn if a player gets a decent run at it.

Has become a solid kick. Is also brave enough to look inside and make that 30m kick on the '45.

Twodogs
29-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Has become a solid kick. Is also brave enough to look inside and make that 30m kick on the '45.

But knows when to go long down the line.

LostDoggy
30-06-2015, 10:08 AM

Speaking of this, Matty Boyd is brilliant at taking a few steps acting like his going for a big switch accross the ground, then quickly ducking back to the inside and finding an open man down the middle.

SonofScray
30-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Wood is in scintilating form, just dominant in the air at the moment and when his feet are moving, breaking the lines like a warm knife through butter. The long kick inside 50 has been the best, most effective turn around right across the club of which Wood has been the best exponent this season.

Going swimmingly.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Wood has become close to my favourite player.

Always liked him and predicted a couple of years ago he could become a jet, but he certainly stagnated - had a few injuries and some inconsistencies.

He's had a phenomenal year so far, great to see. Feel so relieved when I see him under/charging to an opposition long ball, you just know he's going to mark/spoil it.

LostDoggy
30-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Saw Easton out at the Sun Theatre in Yarraville last night, and was really surprised at how skinny the bloke's legs are. Doesn't look like a footballer at all.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Hearing Easton speak post game I can see why he's rated a leader internally. He's an articulate and confident speaker who is able to get the team message across. He comes across as a genuine person and as we've seen on field he leads from the front with his actions.
I would not be surprised if he is in calculations to be considered a future captain when Bob hangs it up.

always right
30-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Saw Easton out at the Sun Theatre in Yarraville last night, and was really surprised at how skinny the bloke's legs are. Doesn't look like a footballer at all.

Really surprised at this. The bloke's thighs are huge and he has the best muscle definition in his legs I've ever seen. He looks like a finely tuned athlete....which is exactly what he is. Do I sound a little gay?

Twodogs
01-07-2015, 12:33 AM
Everytime I see the thread title I get a little smile and that Signed, Sealed and Delivered song goes through my head. Except Delivered is changed to Delivering. It's a better fit.

LostDoggy
01-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Really surprised at this. The bloke's thighs are huge and he has the best muscle definition in his legs I've ever seen. He looks like a finely tuned athlete....which is exactly what he is. Do I sound a little gay?

As was I (surprised, not a little gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that Jerry) Heck, maybe it was just the jeans. There were plenty of soccer mums around who were having an eyeful too.

1eyedog
01-07-2015, 11:29 AM

They're massive aren't they. When he jumps he competes with key forwards. Perfect athlete, strong through the legs and hips and fast twitch muscle fibres.

Ozza
01-07-2015, 11:48 AM
They're massive aren't they. When he jumps he competes with key forwards. Perfect athlete, strong through the legs and hips and fast twitch muscle fibres.

Good breeding, from his commonwealth games athlete parents.

lemmon
01-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Has it been the most meteoric rise from a relatively senior player since Lake? I can't think of many guys that go from relatively average to genuine gun that quickly once they get to their mid 20s

Twodogs
01-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Has it been the most meteoric rise from a relatively senior player since Lake? I can't think of many guys that go from relatively average to genuine gun that quickly once they get to their mid 20s

Good point lem. usually if a player gets to his mid 20s and hasn't made an impression the odds of him making an impression aren't good. With Wood though it was injury that got him each time he started to play good footy.

comrade
01-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Good point lem. usually if a player gets to his mid 20s and hasn't made an impression the odds of him making an impression aren't good. With Wood though it was injury that got him each time he started to play good footy.

So, let's knock on 'Wood'.

Bulldog Joe
01-07-2015, 02:09 PM

More a case of No Knock on Wood.:)

Murphy'sLore
01-07-2015, 02:41 PM
As was I (surprised, not a little gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that Jerry) Heck, maybe it was just the jeans. There were plenty of soccer mums around who were having an eyeful too.

Wood is a pleasure to watch, both on and off the field :)

Twodogs
01-07-2015, 03:44 PM

We had better. We've said the word now.

jeemak
01-07-2015, 05:42 PM

When I see footballers in public these days they all look like stick figures, so I'm not surprised Wood who by comparison looks absolutely massive on the field seemed smaller than what you'd expect him to look in person.

josie
01-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Wood is a pleasure to watch, both on and off the field :)

Yarp - Gia definitely has a replacement (or two in our club) as candidate for one of best looking players in AFL. Note this is only one of the many reasons I watch AFL through binoculars....

Hotdog60
01-07-2015, 06:23 PM

Do you like watching gladiator movies. :)

jeemak
01-07-2015, 06:26 PM

Have you ever seen a grown man naked.

LostDoggy
01-07-2015, 06:28 PM

Or figure skating ala Blades of Glory or syncronised swimming? ;)

LostDoggy
01-07-2015, 06:29 PM

Hey?????

Hotdog60
01-07-2015, 06:32 PM

Do you like hanging around the Gymnasium

jeemak
01-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Hey?????

Flying High/Airplane quotes.

Maddog37
01-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Flying High/Airplane quotes.

Love your work.

1eyedog
01-07-2015, 08:37 PM
When I see footballers in public these days they all look like stick figures, so I'm not surprised Wood who by comparison looks absolutely massive on the field seemed smaller than what you'd expect him to look in person.

It's true. I saw Deledio in Bunnings Coburg when they were affiliated with the Coburg Tigers and I reckon I could have easily run him through. Mind you I'm 104kg, 33% of which is around the midrift :D

bornadog
01-07-2015, 10:54 PM
It's true. I saw Deledio in Bunnings Coburg when they were affiliated with the Coburg Tigers and I reckon I could have easily run him through. Mind you I'm 104kg, 33% of which is around the midrift :D

http://sonsofthewest.org.au/ :D

Remi Moses
02-07-2015, 05:44 AM

Of course not George .
Hilarious

bornadog
02-07-2015, 03:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIzbajAWoAAsmtk.jpg:large

BulldogBelle
03-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Well deserved.
You just love watching Easton play - he is quality.

LostDoggy
04-05-2016, 10:42 AM
We all love Easton..

However do people think the role of captaincy has impacted his game at all? Whether positively or negatively?

The last few weeks I have noticed Easton seems to be trying too hard. He's trying to impact more contests, which in theory is fine, however he's made some really poor decisions in relation to when to kill the contest and when he's needed on the deck.

Last week especially there were 3 or 4 occasions Easton launched into a pack which we already had a clear numbers advantage. Only to see the ball flick out the back and we got punished for it.

He's passion and intent is obviously all we can ask, but when you go to far it can start having negative impacts on the side.

Ozza
04-05-2016, 11:28 AM
I think Woody is marginally off his game since getting injured and has also been impacted by the instability of the back 6.
I think we probably need to see a couple more weeks of him as captain to see if it has affected his footy, but at this point I'd be more inclined to say that the injuries we experienced has impacted all of the back six, and the changes to the unit are influencing all of the defenders a bit.

He made some bad decisions as to whether to fly or not fly in some contests last week. Might be trying too hard and losing a bit of composure.

Cyberdoggie
04-05-2016, 11:35 AM
I think Woody is marginally off his game since getting injured and has also been impacted by the instability of the back 6.
I think we probably need to see a couple more weeks of him as captain to see if it has affected his footy, but at this point I'd be more inclined to say that the injuries we experienced has impacted all of the back six, and the changes to the unit are influencing all of the defenders a bit.

He made some bad decisions as to whether to fly or not fly in some contests last week. Might be trying too hard and losing a bit of composure.

Probably didn't help when his first two kicks were turnovers. Hoping he will have a better game this week.

Mofra
04-05-2016, 01:03 PM
I think teams are purposely drawing him away from the contest and putting more work into him as he smashed the intercept marking records last year and he is too successful as the third man up in impacting a contest normally.
In the absence of Bobby & JJ he's the guy you want to stop as his ability to intercept makes him statistically one of our most important players.

1eyedog
04-05-2016, 03:36 PM
I think teams are purposely drawing him away from the contest and putting more work into him as he smashed the intercept marking records last year and he is too successful as the third man up in impacting a contest normally.
In the absence of Bobby & JJ he's the guy you want to stop as his ability to intercept makes him statistically one of our most important players.

Agreed and it's working. He's trying to be in 3 places at once. Opposition forwards are being more attacking and drawing our defenders deeper. You don't have to be as accountable on our second tier half backs as opposed to Murph and JJ.

In the four games he's played this year he's actually getting the ball more than he did last year, although his marks are down around 30-40%.