PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Western Bulldogs v Fremantle

The Coon Dog
21-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Where: Sunday 25 July
Where: Etihad Stadium
Time: 1.10pm (AET)

The Aker Impact
Let's be honest, between now & Sunday all we're going to see & hear about is Aker. How will it affect the Bulldogs? That's anyone's guess, but if the suggestion that the playing group had had enough of him, I think it will galvanise them.

What's At Stake?
The much vaunted 4th position! Conventional wisdom suggests that teams finishing outside the top 4 cannot win the premiership. Why I also think its important to finish 4th (& above Fremantle) is not having to play outside Victoria in the finals.

Last 5 Meetings
R18 2009 - WB 111 d FR 70 (ES)
R1 2009 - WB 157 d FR 88 (S)
R8 2008 - WB 114 d FR 111 (S)
R12 2007 - WB 141 d FR 115 (DAR)
R11 2006 - WB 100 d FR 86 (ES)

The Bulldogs have won the last 5 meetings between these 2 teams so there would be a bit of confidence going in, having said that Fremantle would think they're due, plus Fremantle are a much better team this year.

Selection
Barry Hall & Jordan Roughead will return (but not you know who, remember him?), but at who's expense?

Personally I'd go with Williams & Everitt, but I reckon 10 people could nominate 2 players & they might not get the same combination.

I just think you have to run, run & run more against Fremantle, as Melbourne (nearly) proved last week.

Despite injury concerns to Matthew Pavlich, I don't think there's a snowballs hope in hell that he'll miss this week. Alex Silvagni will miss with a groin injury & Antoni Grover will replace him. There is a doubt on Ryan Crowley. If he misses it would be a blow for the Dockers as he's an irritating so & so & who would annoy whoever he tagged. Tarrant may return from injury.

Key Areas
As I see it, there are 3 major areas on the ground; our forward line, our backline & the bit in the middle (sounds so FDOTM, doesn't it?).

- Our Backline
One of our major strengths this season, with the side now ranked 2nd in points conceded. Obviously a greater emphasis this season has seen our defence much more difficult to score against, conceding just 74 points per game.

Obviously the cornerstone of our backline is Brian Lake, who is in career best form. If Matthew Pavlich plays up forward for Freo (as I expect him to), I would imagine the purists would lick their lips in anticipation of a Lake/Pavlich match up, much the same as they did 3 weeks ago when Brian & Buddy went head to head.

Under the old Freo, if you stopped Pavlich you generally won, but this season they are much more rounded & share the load. Hayden Ballantyne proved to be the difference up forward last week for Fremantle, so Jarrod Harbrow will have to be on his guard, as he's a sneaky little bugger is Ballantyne.

Hopefully the midfielders exert as much pressure on the Freo mids as is possible, forcing them to kick indiscriminately into their forward line. If that happens then Hargrave & Gilbee will have a field day bringing the ball out of defence.

- Our Forwardline
Bazza's back! Be interesting to see who takes him. I haven't seen Freo alot this season (which makes this preview somewhat challenging - where are you Scraggers???), but I'm guessing McPharlane, Johnson or Tarrant could try their luck. Someone needs to be at Bazza's feet (without getting in his way) to pick up anything that spills. A Ballantyne type in our forward line would be handy!

For his confidence more than anything Shaun Higgins needs a big game.

- The Bit In The Middle

This is where the game will be won & lost. Whoever wins the midfield battle will win the match & with the injury to Michael Barlow, I just see that as a huge out for Freo.

Against Carlton a few weeks back Nanny McPhee tagged Judd & drove him mad by all accounts, so I'd expect him to have first crack at Cooney. If Crowley does play he'll probably take Griff. Both of these two, need much more assistance from their team mates, particularly if the checking is tight. Boyd & Cross (playing his 150th game) particularly have to be prepared to block & get between Coons/Griff & the leeches that hang off them.

Sandilands has been a giant for Fremantle in more ways than one this year. Hudson has to get in as close as possible making it body on body. To use a cricket term, he can't allow Sandilands to get his arms free. When Bradley takes a turn I'd let Roughead to go head to head. Hopefully Sandilands will rest on the bench & not up forward, he could be dangerous if he does, so Brain needs to look out for that (not that he could miss him, but it is Brain we're talking about).

Stephen Hill is a little beauty & I'd love to see Callan Ward go to him & really give it to him. I' love Callan's physicality & he's seriously going to hurt someone soon (legitimately I might add).

You can see just by looking at him that Morabito's been well coached & he links up nicely going forward. Gotta stop Palmer getting his hands on it & feeding it out to Morabito, Hill, Mundy & de Boer.

I just feel that our midfield will be too physical for Freo & as I said earlier, that's where the game's result will hinge.

My Predictions

Western Bulldogs: 4.1 - 7.5 - 12.9 - 17.12.114
Fremantle: 3.4 - 6.4 - 9.9 - 13.11.89

Dogs to win by 25 points.

Brownlow Votes: 3/ Adam Cooney 2/ Matthew Boyd 1/ Aaron Sandilands.

Supercoach Top 5: Brian Lake 133, Adam Cooney 126, Aaron Sandilands 123, Daniel Cross 120, Matthew Boyd 118.

Crowd: 22,689 (WB 22,411, FR 278)

Umpires: Green, Red or Yellow (it's like guessing what colour clinker you'll get when you bite through the chocolate). I'll go with Red.

Amusing Incident: Hadyen Ballantyne trying to get under Brian Lake's skin & Brian looking at him as though he's a complete idiot.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Love the preview TCD,

It seems as if your last section is channelling the humour of our resident cartoonist of reknown.
These bits below, in particular could conceivably sit proudly alongside some of FDOTM's best material.

"Umpires: Green, Red or Yellow (it's like guessing what colour clinker you'll get when you bite through the chocolate). I'll go with Red.

Amusing Incident: Hadyen Ballantyne trying to get under Brian Lake's skin & Brian looking at him as though he's a complete idiot. "

Oh and a very insightful look at the game as well.

If your scoreline plays out (including the scores at each of the stanza's) I will be asking you for next week's lotto numbers!!

BulldogBelle
21-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Well done TCD.

An amusing read with some great info:D

l will be watching that scoreline!

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Very nice preview. Go Dogs!

Scraggers
22-07-2010, 03:59 AM
(which makes this preview somewhat challenging - where are you Scraggers???)

I'm here TCD ... (felt a little bit like Dr. Smith from Lost In Space ... Never fear, Scraggers is here)
Great preview by the way, with your predictions of the quarter by quarter scores, are you available to do my tax return??

The choice of who goes to Bazza is an interesting one, if fully fit it would be Tarrant. Hands down he has been there best defender this year; but as Tarrant is coming off injury I would think it would go to McPharlin. McPharlin has the best set of hands this side of the border as well as a sensational vertical leap, therefore our offence pressure is going to be vitally important. There will be very little crumbing by the small forwards / backs if Hall/McPharlin go head to head.

For Hall to beat either Tarrant or McPharlin he has to play the role of lead-up forward ... he has to go hard every time ... and he has to be smart about the lines he runs cause the Dockers will play Sandilands a kick behind the play especially to fill the hole at half back. If Hall does this, he can expect the ball laces up and a bag of six or seven because neither Tarrant (unfit) or McPharlin can match up. I expect them to try and get under his skin early.

With Silvani confirmed out, the Dockers will be stretched down back ... The Lake forward experiment could prove fruitful this week.

Where the Dockers have improved this year is with their forward options. In years gone by, every forward push has had to go through the hands of Pavlich at Centre-Half Forward; before his injury, Pavlich has been able to push deeper and become a bigger target. (He kicked 39 goals in his first 11 games this season, but only 5 goals in his last 5 games)

But now, players such as Barlow (before injury), Ballantyne, Fyfe (who I used to teach in year 7), Hill, Crowley et al. have all proved to be viable forward options and make them a dangerous team to match up.

The improvement of Mundy (in particular) Hill, Balantyne and acquisition of Barlow (Morabito / Fyfe / McPhee), plus the return of Palmer have proved the difference for the Dockers in 2010. Mundy and Barlow have been ball magnets, but importantly their disposal has been first class ... The loss of Barlow is really hurting them !!!

In my opinion, for us this game will be won or lost in the midfield. Sandilands is having a purple patch (if you'll pardon the pun) and is giving their midfield first use of the ball. We need to stop this early and make Sandilands tap to space rather than the player. (interestingly Harvey has put it out there through the media to the umpires that Sandilands gets unwarranted attention, stating that he should be given more protection at stoppages ... the timing of these comments are very calculated ... he knows The People's Beard dominated him last year ... look for very minor interference being picked up by the green/red/yellow Clinkers)

What's hurting the Dockers right now ... injuries, injuries, injuries !!!
What's hurting us right now ... Aker-gate !!!

We need to put this week's 'media circus' behind us early ... empowering the 19th man ... you guys ... support hard for me guys and girls !!

My prediction Dogs by 37 points ... WOOF WOOF !!

mjp
22-07-2010, 10:12 AM
What I would do:

1/.Sick Picken onto Mundy.
2/.Put Morris on Ballantyne. I know he has done well on Pavlich in the past, but suspect Pavlich will player deeper this week (combination of his ankle and the Dome where he usually sits inside 50) and Lake can take him.
3/.Move Griffen out to play on Hill.
4/.Use Gia against Duffield.

w3design
22-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks Coon Dog and Scraggers. It's good to read about some footy. Very important game, this one, pivotal for our season. We need a good start because we've dropped most of these types of games this season.

SquirrelGrip
22-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Where: Sunday 25 July

Umpires: Green, Red or Yellow (it's like guessing what colour clinker you'll get when you bite through the chocolate). I'll go with Red.

I'll go with Yellow. They were always banana flavoured.

Mofra
22-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Great preview TCD; I'm going with Yellow for the umpires :cool:

I'd let Tommy take Sandi when resting forward - if Lake goes to Pav and Morris goes to Ballantyne as expected, I would be hesitant to change that set up when Sandi is forward.

I do expect Roughy to match up on Sandi from time to time as well, will be a great experience for the kid.

mjp
22-07-2010, 11:51 AM
I'd let Tommy take Sandi when resting forward - if Lake goes to Pav and Morris goes to Ballantyne as expected, I would be hesitant to change that set up when Sandi is forward.

I do expect Roughy to match up on Sandi from time to time as well, will be a great experience for the kid.

If he does, let's hope he plays in front. TW seems to like playing from behind, spoil, follow-up...Sandilands' size complicates the equation.

The usual kick to Sandilands is high and to the top of the square...I am pretty confident Lake will be there to help out in any case.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Great preview yet again! I'm backing the umps to be in yellow also:D

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 12:07 PM
What I would do:

1/.Sick Picken onto Mundy.
2/.Put Morris on Ballantyne. I know he has done well on Pavlich in the past, but suspect Pavlich will player deeper this week (combination of his ankle and the Dome where he usually sits inside 50) and Lake can take him.
3/.Move Griffen out to play on Hill.
4/.Use Gia against Duffield.

Love it:D

Greystache
22-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Is there a game on this weekend? ;)

Thanks for the amusing preview TCD, let's hope we get out of the blocks quickly and put our slow starts behind us. My concern with all this Aker stuff is Freo will get the jump on us and we'll spend the match playing catch up football.

Mantis
22-07-2010, 12:47 PM
If he does, let's hope he plays in front. TW seems to like playing from behind, spoil, follow-up...Sandilands' size complicates the equation.

The usual kick to Sandilands is high and to the top of the square...I am pretty confident Lake will be there to help out in any case.

I have been quite critical of Williams when he plays in front as he takes his eyes off the ball to check where his opponent is and has been out-marked in almost all of these occassions.

I understand that it will be tough playing from behind, but I give him no hope if he plays from the front spot.... unless of course he makes the ball his first priority rather than his man, but I have seen nothing so far that makes me believe this will be the case.

Desipura
22-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I have been quite critical of Williams when he plays in front as he takes his eyes off the ball to check where his opponent is and has been out-marked in almost all of these occassions.

I understand that it will be tough playing from behind, but I give him no hope if he plays from the front spot.... unless of course he makes the ball his first priority rather than his man, but I have seen nothing so far that makes me believe this will be the case.
Totally agree with this ^^^^^^

Greystache
22-07-2010, 01:09 PM

Totally agree. Plus for a big man when he gets caught under the ball he pushes back on his opponent with less force than I'd expect from Harbrow.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the preview! good reading.

Mofra
22-07-2010, 02:19 PM
He needs a bit more time with Lake to learn his tricks - use the big screen Tommy!

bornadog
22-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Love the quarter by quarter prediction TCD, lets see how that pans out, but I reckon you will be close. Pavlich is out of form and has a slight injury concern, whats the bet he gets 30 possessions this week.

Dogs by plenty:)

noose bullies
22-07-2010, 10:16 PM
The bulldogs will beat fremantle on sunday and get back in the top four where they belong

Flamethrower
23-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I would be surprised if the scores are that high - both teams have vastly improved backlines and defensive structures (Freo without Tarrant and Crowley hurts though) and have struggled to put big scores on the board against good opposition.

Top 4 battle....a win the Freo wraps up a top 4 finish, but a win to the Doggies leaves the race wide open with both teams having difficult fixtures over the final 5 weeks - if the Hawks outlast the Saints and the Dogs beat Freo, watch out for Hawthorn to snatch 4th spot. Hawthorn play Freo in Tassie in round 21.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Love the preview TCD,

It seems as if your last section is channelling the humour of our resident cartoonist of reknown.
These bits below, in particular could conceivably sit proudly alongside some of FDOTM's best material.

"Umpires: Green, Red or Yellow (it's like guessing what colour clinker you'll get when you bite through the chocolate). I'll go with Red.

Amusing Incident: Hadyen Ballantyne trying to get under Brian Lake's skin & Brian looking at him as though he's a complete idiot. "

Oh and a very insightful look at the game as well.

If your scoreline plays out (including the scores at each of the stanza's) I will be asking you for next week's lotto numbers!!

And I'm sure TCD will just hand the numbers to you on a platter!

Great preview Coon Dog. I'm looking forward to watching this one in a pub full of Freo supporters, none of whom will have any fingernails left after 3/4 time.