PDA

View Full Version : The Footy Show

The Coon Dog
22-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Barry Hall will not appear on The Footy Show tonight. The decision not to appear was taken by Barry himself & not the club, despite what may be alledged elsewhere.

I understand the former TFS host is winding up Aker in a city hotel this afternoon in order to get him to 'tip a bucket' on the Western Bulldogs.

Murphy'sLore
22-07-2010, 03:54 PM
I understand the former TFS host is winding up Aker in a city hotel this afternoon in order to get him to 'tip a bucket' on the Western Bulldogs.

Fan-freakin-tastic. What a class act.

Well done Baz for steering well clear.

w3design
22-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Very glad to hear that Barry has made this call, that would have been the proverbial hiding to nothing.

Greystache
22-07-2010, 04:40 PM
The Hun suggested a WB official would make an appearance in Hall's place, any idea who that may be?

angelopetraglia
22-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Hopefully Smorgon. Always handles himself well and is the furtherst removed form the playing group.

w3design
22-07-2010, 04:56 PM
It is going to be very hard for the club in what will now be a PR battle. Wonder if we are better just to not engage. Along the lines 'we are not interested in the comments of a former player.' Leave Aker to shoot himself in foot rather than getting into slanging match with him and giving him oxygen. Sorry, lots of mixed metaphors in there.

For example he's bagged Jono today. One of the most highly respected guys in footy. Do we come out swinging, provoking a new barrage (who will they dredge up next? Nathan Brown? Grant Thomas?) which can keep tearing us apart? or do we aim for a kind of amused contempt, with a bit of an eyeroll for whatever he comes out with next.

I don't know if a passionate defence of the club from Smorgo on an environment like the footy show will achieve anything.

This is one of the hardest issues our club has yet faced. I hope they are getting good wise advice on how to handle it.

Sedat
22-07-2010, 05:01 PM
It is going to be very hard for the club in what will now be a PR battle. Wonder if we are better just to not engage. Along the lines 'we are not interested in the comments of a former player.' Leave Aker to shoot himself in foot rather than getting into slanging match with him and giving him oxygen. Sorry, lots of mixed metaphors in there.
Agree wholeheartedly. The best way to extinguish a fire is to stop feeding it oxygen. Give the media nothing and refer back to the press conference yesterday, which fully explained the rationale behind the decision to sack him. No further correspondence needs to be entered into. If they keep asking, keep referring back to the presser. If Aker keeps gobbing off, tell the football world that the Bulldogs are not interested in providing more headlines for Aker's media employers to tap into.

bornadog
22-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Record ratings tonight.

G-Mo77
22-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Record ratings tonight.

It's the only way they'll get decent ratings.

Cyberdoggie
22-07-2010, 05:44 PM
It will blow away eventually and then people will stop listening to him hopefully.

Unfortunately it will be a big distraction for a very big game this weekend.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Very pleased to hear that Barry has taken this decision. If anyone from the bulldogs appears, I hope it's David Smorgan - heard him on 774 this morning, and what a level-headed, honest, and sensible point of view he gave. Wouldn't be drawn into having a "go" at Aker, wouldn't be drawn on saying anything controversial - Mr. Smorgan, I "dips me lid to you". You do us proud.

G-Mo77
22-07-2010, 05:53 PM
It will blow away eventually and then people will stop listening to him hopefully.

Unfortunately it will be a big distraction for a very big game this weekend.

This story will start losing legs by around Tues/Wed next week.

It's unfortunate we are playing such a big game this week but still it's a chance to show a united front and prove all the imbeciles wrong.

mjp
22-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Barry is beloved.

I wish he had gone on. He would have handled himself beautifully.

An official? Wont carry the same weight as Barry saying 'I love Aker but the group was unanimous in this decision'.

Mofra
22-07-2010, 05:58 PM
This story will start losing legs by around Tues/Wed next week.
That depends, could be Sunday night:
a. We win and get into the top four
b. Essendon lose badly & Knights cops the blowtorch again
c. Geelong on the rebound against a struggling Lions outfit at Kardinia Park could deliver a huge flogging

I think we just endure a bit of media as supporters & watch how the playing group respond - I dare say at this point they are more focussed on the Freo game than they are Aker.

Remi Moses
22-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Better be focused after we rid of the distraction. No excuses now!!The Footy Show wasn't that about last relevant in about 1995.

GVGjr
22-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Record ratings tonight.

I don't think I would have watched more than 1 hour combined all season and I doubt that I would watch much of it tonight.
Incidents like this is what the Footy Show is all about now and it will rate well.

BulldogBelle
22-07-2010, 06:48 PM
What a great team player BBBB is. I'm sorry that I didn't express that months ago when he was giving away those goals and doing the team stuff.

I think that most of us believe that he is a team player.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Big JB is on the panel tonight aswell..

This is going to be one interesting Footy Show.

firstdogonthemoon
22-07-2010, 07:47 PM
This is going to be one interesting Footy Show.

first time for everything

Before I Die
22-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Barry Hall will not appear on The Footy Show tonight. The decision not to appear was taken by Barry himself & not the club, despite what may be alledged elsewhere.

Are we talking about the President of a rival club? In particular, one who attacks anyone who has the temerity to question any aspect of his own club?

Rocco Jones
22-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Barry is beloved.

I wish he had gone on. He would have handled himself beautifully.

An official? Wont carry the same weight as Barry saying 'I love Aker but the group was unanimous in this decision'.

Me too. Many fans who disagree with the decision seem to think we were being 'bitchy' for use of a better word and the blokey bloke that is Hall would have been the perfect person to defend it.

Flamethrower
22-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Record ratings tonight.

I didn't know that that garbage was still on. Is it still Collingwood centric with Everywhere Eddie?

Jono Brown and Aker in the same room....could be very interesting considering the amount of hate the Lions still have for Aker.

comrade
22-07-2010, 08:45 PM
I won't be watching (principles and all) but I hope that Brown cuts through any BS that Aker tries on.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 08:55 PM
The Footy Show now has more b*****t content than relevant footy talk, well done Bazza for making the right decision not to appear.
No doubt the media will find another target for a story soon.

Go Dogs!

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I doubt there will be any Western Bulldog's official on the show tonight. If Hall isn't going on he has probably been replaced with another footy panelist from another club. I doubt Smorgon or Fantasia will go on.

The Coon Dog
22-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Are we talking about the President of a rival club? In particular, one who attacks anyone who has the temerity to question any aspect of his own club?

Yup, that's him.

The Coon Dog
22-07-2010, 09:24 PM
UPDATE 4.41pm: CHANNEL 9 says the Western Bulldogs compelled Barry Hall into ditching an appearance on The Footy Show opposite Jason Akermanis.

"Barry only became uncomfortable after he was advised by president David Smorgon at a function last night that it would be inappropriate if he appeared on the show. Little wonder he was uncomfortable," Channel Nine's head of entertainment Tim Cleary said.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hall-ducks-aker-confrontation/story-e6frf9jf-1225895626463)

The Pie Man
22-07-2010, 09:34 PM
UPDATE 4.41pm: CHANNEL 9 says the Western Bulldogs compelled Barry Hall into ditching an appearance on The Footy Show opposite Jason Akermanis.

"Barry only became uncomfortable after he was advised by president David Smorgon at a function last night that it would be inappropriate if he appeared on the show. Little wonder he was uncomfortable," Channel Nine's head of entertainment Tim Cleary said.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hall-ducks-aker-confrontation/story-e6frf9jf-1225895626463)

Needlessly inflammatory remark from someone working in the media

Blind Freddy could see the initial panel proposed had awkward written all over it

Dancin' Douggy
22-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Where's the introspection?
If I had just been thrown out the door by the second AFL club in six years,
I would at the very least take a couple of weeks to mull over the situation I found myself in.
Maybe a long road trip.
But to go straight on the footy show the next night is really quite sad.
Aker, is there no off switch in your head?
Is there no self criticism?
No self assessment?
Footy clubs don't just sack players for fun or to be petulant.
And even if ONE did. Two in a row don't.
This is serious Aker.
Just STFU for at least a couple of days.
Seems you can't. Can't help yourself.
And Steve Price is happily steering you into shallower and shallower water.
Oh Aker, this is a tragedy.

firstdogonthemoon
22-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Sam Newman is going very hard on the aker thing. Not a surprise.

Apparently, the club is corrupt and has been leaking to the media. Jason is a person of integrity and hasn't leaked a thing.

Sam Newman is pretty much the worst example of the AFL community going around. What a leech.

GVGjr
22-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Sam Newman is going very hard on the aker thing. Not a surprise.

Apparently, the club is corrupt and has been leaking to the media. Jason is a person of integrity and hasn't leaked a thing.

Sam Newman is pretty much the worst example of the AFL community going around. What a leech.

Against my better judgment I listened to Sam speak. Whilst a lot of what he said was rubbish for the first time in a long while I think these were his genuine thoughts not just something contrived to grab attention.

I think he really feels as though he played a major part in the sacking of Akermanis and it's certainly not sitting well with him.

comrade
22-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Has Rose been on?

Mantis
22-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Has Rose been on?

Aker is coming on as I post.

Rose will follow.

firstdogonthemoon
22-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Against my better judgment I listened to Sam speak. Whilst a lot of what he said was rubbish for the first time in a long while I think these were his genuine thoughts not just something contrived to grab attention.

I think he really feels as though he played a major part in the sacking of Akermanis and it's certainly not sitting well with him.

I disagree. Sam is in his element. He feigns outrage for effect. And he is busy encouraging Aker to dump the biggest bucket he can. And Aker is.

comrade
22-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Caught the tail end of his segment and it's clear Sam is out for blood. Absolute caveman.

Classy dig at Rohan Smith by Aker, too.

Looking forward to Sunday, that's for sure.

G-Mo77
22-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Classy dig at Rohan Smith by Aker, too.

Really piss poor wasn't it.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Well, at least it's good to find out some hard facts. The legal letter, etc etc. I bet Brownie regrets coming on the show.... looked pretty uncomfortable.

comrade
22-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Really piss poor wasn't it.

Says a lot about Aker, I think.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Anyone else find this all ridiculous?

comrade
22-07-2010, 11:45 PM

Yep.

Greystache
22-07-2010, 11:47 PM

To be fair to Sam he was making all these statements based on the carefully selected information that Aker gave him, naturally Aker being Aker that information would paint him in a good light.

Watching Aker speak was just really sad, he simply doesn't get it!

azabob
22-07-2010, 11:49 PM
This could end badly, hopefully Campbell is on his toes especially with Sam and Jason asking the questions.

azabob
22-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Yes.

Templeton31
22-07-2010, 11:51 PM
a summary for us northern staters?

comrade
22-07-2010, 11:52 PM

Awkward. Very, very awkward.

Aker is teeing off and Rose is trying to be diplomatic but is getting whacked.

hujsh
22-07-2010, 11:58 PM
What was said about Rohan Smith?

comrade
23-07-2010, 12:00 AM

Smith on Fox Sports said Aker won't be remembered for the Brownlow or the Premierships but for getting sacked twice.

Aker said something along the lines of 'Rohan, at least I'll be remembered'.

G-Mo77
23-07-2010, 12:01 AM

He said something about Aker being remembered for being sacked by 2 clubs and not the 3 flags and brownlow he has won. His response was at least I'll be remembered. :rolleyes:

chef
23-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Akermanis said 'at least I'm going to be remembered Rohan'. What a wanker and I'm glad he's gone.

Cam Rose was very good.

comrade
23-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Cam Rose was very good.

I thought he got whacked, but it's not like he had a chance.

So concludes my Footy Show viewing. Forever.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 12:03 AM
All that was missing was the spotlight on Cam, the Footy Show really controlled that segment.

What a disgrace.

chef
23-07-2010, 12:04 AM

He did but he responded well considering the circumstances.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow, no good can come of this. TFS completely ganged up on our club the whole time!

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Aker mentioned he had support from a player who wouldn't stand up because 'he is out of contract at he end of the season' thoughts on who? Or crap?

LostDoggy
Wow, no good can come of this. TFS completely ganged up on our club the whole time!

Agree, should have not turned up at all tonight.

Majority of people will walk away from this very much pro Aker, not sure it did us any favours.

Ghost Dog
Sam vents, bit of a ramble. Turns out Newman is a member of the Western Bulldogs, 7 years?
Aker comes on. He sits next to Sam. Sam encourages Aker to name names.
Paints Jhonno in a poor light. Claims he jumped at the shadow of his book. Rounded up the players and created a campaign against him. Aker states he got a letter today giving the reason he was sacked.

On the letter it stated why he was sacked. Was the newman incident. They also listed two reasons that were not valid ( carried over from previous years despite agreeing at the beginning of the year to have a clean slate ). Aker is making points and is not ranting, unlike Newman who seems very keen to make up for his f**k up by sucking up to Aker.
Newman and Lyon imply that the Dogs have been leaking information to the media, not Aker.

Turns out some of the other players sent him messages of support after the sacking. Perhaps some of the players support him, but no proof. Nobody stood up for him anyway. Claims that he met with some players after the sacking. Aker insinuates it's form related, same thing happened at Brisbane. Brayshaw and Lyon both insinuate that Aker's ' only what happens on the field is important' attitude is out of date with modern footy.

Campbell Rose comes on. Not sure why, won't give any hard facts. Bit of a circus. Claims it was death by 1000 paper cuts. He has been away at a CEO conference and not in any of the meetings so far. Sticks up for the club with all the team first , trust takes time etc etc. Aker takes issue for being left lingering in the VFL. Whines about getting beaten up in the VFL in purgatory while the club planned to sack him anyway. Campbell is not that convincing as he has nothing to add and his hands are obviously tied; not a fair fight. Rose makes a comment that his own son is Aker's hero and he found it hard to break the news. That works. Lyon gives him fair respect for coming on at least. Is a 'good sport' about it. Crowd is a bit against him.
Rose and Aker agree to differ, shake hands.

That's about it. Rest of the show is embarrassing.

bornadog
23-07-2010, 12:08 AM

I gave up along time ago and only watched tonight to hear what Aker/Cam had to say. What a joke having Aker question Rose.

Watching Aker speak was just really sad, he simply doesn't get it!

This is spot on, he didn't get it at Brissy and still doesn't. Its a very sad situation.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Aker mentioned he had support from a player who wouldn't stand up because 'he is out of contract at he end of the season' thoughts on who? Or crap?

I thought he made the whole thing up, you could tell by the way he was mumbling through it.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Cameron Rose was an absolute superstar. Handled it incredibly well, showed shitloads of respect to Aker whilst maintaining the club line and delivering his message. Responded to every single LOADED question with a solid, clear answer — except the match committee stuff, yet he still qualified himself well.

I'm rapt in how he did. Great job! Made us look professional, considered and decisive in the face of anger. Beautiful.

Remi Moses
23-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Just out of interest did anyone ask Eddie TryHard about Norf playing all their home games in Melbourne?Tend to recall tryhard making a big song and dance about Norf being a Melbourne Club!!:eek:

GVGjr
23-07-2010, 12:10 AM

It could have been a lot worse and in the end Rose and Akermanis shook hands and there appeared to be some genuine respect between the two.

Key points for Akermanis
- He thought he was going into a meeting to talk about if he would be selected to play against Fremantle when in fact the outcome of the meeting had already been decided.
This goes against what a meeting is supposed to be about.
- Information had been leaked back to Akermanis (another leak) that Johnson had some problems with him so Akermanis phoned to seek clarity. Johnson was very guarded with his comments and Akermanis lost his cool.
- Akermanis pointed out that an agreement had been struck prior to him re-singing that past indiscretions that he had chalked up would be cleared from the slate and he would essentially be treated as a rookie this season however, in the final meeting it all resurfaced again as the reasons why they were terminating his contract.
- Akermanis had a problem with the leading players process.

Key point for Rose
- There had been a break down of trust within the playing group and Akermanis and the situation was untenable.

Rose acquitted himself very well as did Akermanis.
By the way, Aker predicted a Bulldogs win by 30 points.

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 12:13 AM
That whole segment only served to reinforce my feeling that the Western Bulldogs administration completely cocked this whole thing up - massively. Aker came on, and yes, he probably did only present the facts that put him in a good light. But at least he presented some facts. He offered to show Rose the texts he received from the 'unanimously united' (a paraphrase, not a direct quote) team mates, he spoke of the club clearing the slate (and Rose replied "Slate or no slate"???). The dig at Smithy probably wasn't necessary, but was it necessary to have a dig at Aker in the press? He gets criticised when he does that. For mine, Campbell Rose came across as an uninvolved figurehead, openly admitting he wasn't there at certain points, and continually harping on about loss of trust, whilst not actually adding any new information to the situation. He said nothing in that whole segment that isn't known or hasn't been said. I thought he was a mealy-mouthed, namby-pamby yachtsman before - my view hasn't changed. Sure, he's done an lot for our club's business affairs, but his appearance tonight was a waste of time. He got whacked, and deserved it. Call me naive, call me gullible, call me worse if you want, but at the end of that segment, I felt Aker to be the more believable, and the Club to have added NOTHING more to the information already presented.

Yes, I'm peeved. I did laugh when he shook Rose's hand at the end (which I'd have struggled to do) and then said "Now piss off"...

angelopetraglia
23-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Just a disaster. Aker improved his position, while the club looks worse.

Aker was allowed to speak without interruptions, while Rose had to put up with both Aker and Newman interrupting and questioning him.

Rose handled himself well under the circumstances.

Aker still doesn't get it. Doesn't even think he was sacked from Brisbane. What do you call it when you are not allowed in the place? Just plain banned from the joint half-way through the season.

I feel sorry for Aker, he obviously lacks normal people perception skills. Comes across as intelligent but just has no idea about people.

How can get himself into the same situation with two different set of groups and take zero responsibility for either?

GVGjr
23-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Sam vents, bit of a ramble. Turns out Newman is a member of the Western Bulldogs, 7 years?

Spot on. He's been buying memberships since the Lease Plan Bulldogs announced their partnership on TFS.

lemmon
23-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Im fairly riled up after that and not sure it could've gone much worse. Rose was hijacked by Sam and his puppet Aker and I'm not sure a CEO who has been away from the club was the best choice. Would have preferred Bazza to go on and present a strong, united playing front to be honest.
As for Aker he sung a tale of woe and would have gained a lot of outside support but good riddance

The Pie Man
23-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I can't recall a more open airing of a club's dirty laundry in all my time following the game.

Just bizarre, awkward but strangely gripping tv I'll admit.

I agree with all (well most) of you in that Jason is playing the victim card - but he's playing it very well in the early rounds.

I get the intervention style confrontation he's been the subject of - that's the idea, it's confronting.....the way Jason has presented it does not paint the club well to neutral observer...someone I love dearly just mentioned to me that the 'bullying' he's been subjected to is 'disgusting' (I don't share that view, but something tells me I'll wear a similar barrage at work tomorrow)

I thought one of the worst things was Newman claiming someone will 'neck' themselves if a but fragile under such treatment....irresponsible

Can't wait for Sunday to blow this all away...mostly..sort of

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 12:17 AM
That whole segment only served to reinforce my feeling that the Western Bulldogs administration completely cocked this whole thing up - massively. Aker came on, and yes, he probably did only present the facts that put him in a good light. But at least he presented some facts. He offered to show Rose the texts he received from the 'unanimously united team mates, he spoke of the club clearing the slate (and Rose replied "Slate or no slate"???). For mine, Campbell Rose came across as an uninvolved figurehead, openly admitting he wasn't there at certain points, and continually harping on about loss of trust, whilst not actually adding any new information to the situation. He said nothing in that whole segment that isn't known or hasn't been said. I thought he was a mealy-mouthed, namby-pamby yachtsman before - my view hasn't changed. Sure, he's done an lot for our club, but his appearance tonight was a waste of time. He got whacked, and deserved it. Call me naive, call me gullible, call me worse if you want, but at the end of that segment, I felt Aker to be the more believable, and the Club to have added NOTHING more to the information presented.

But TFS painted in and presented it in that light mate. Cam Rose has to be careful with what he says —*he is an employer who has sacked an employee and there are legal considerations on top of PR considerations. Comments he makes can still hurt the club if not considered and thought out. Aker, however, has the natural advantage of 1. being out of contract and free to speak and 2. having the support of the panel.

In the face of this, very impressive by Cam.

dogman
23-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Smith on Fox Sports said Aker won't be remembered for the Brownlow or the Premierships but for getting sacked twice.

Aker said something along the lines of 'Rohan, at least I'll be remembered'.

That is actually incorrect. I watched afl teams on foxtel. Rohan, just asked the question to the panel, "will he be remember for his premierships or brownlow or being sacked by two clubs"
Again Aker manipulates facts to make himself look like the poor innocent sole.

Greystache
23-07-2010, 12:21 AM

His PA is Scott Clayton's wife she signed him up without him knowing and he's continued to renew since then.

GVGjr
23-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Im fairly riled up after that and not sure it could've gone much worse. Rose was hijacked by Sam and his puppet Aker and I'm not sure a CEO who has been away from the club was the best choice. Would have preferred Bazza to go on and present a strong, united playing front to be honest.
As for Aker he sung a tale of woe and would have gained a lot of outside support but good riddance

I haven't lost respect for Akermanis and or the club/Rose. There was never going to be a winner and we shouldn't have expected anything less from appearing on the show.

I can't dislike Akermanis for his performance tonight as he tried hard to stick to the facts from his perspective.

The club did the right thing by not subjecting Hall or any other player to it.

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 12:23 AM
It could have been a lot worse and in the end Rose and Akermanis shook hands and there appeared to be some genuine respect between the two.

I thought Aker was just restraining himself from letting his true feelings be known. Evidenced by the "Now piss off" at the end!

Key point for Rose
- There had been a break down of trust within the playing group and Akermanis and the situation was untenable.

Rose acquitted himself very well as did Akermanis.
By the way, Aker predicted a Bulldogs win by 30 points.

I was greatly disappointed that this was his ONLY point. No proof was offered (I know, it's "in-house"), no further information given and I thought he came across as weak.

comrade
23-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Did anyone pick up Aker's faux pas when he referred to the conversation he had with Sam, then corrected himself and said Sam overhead. Later in the segment he again referred to having a conversation with Sam, who then grilled Cooney.

Happy Days
23-07-2010, 12:26 AM
What about the admission of Aker telling Sam the information directly, even though Sam said he overheard it not 5 minutes earlier?

How does anything he says hold any credibility, especially when it is in direct contrast with the information coming for the club?

lemmon
23-07-2010, 12:27 AM
I haven't lost respect for Akermanis and or the club/Rose. There was never going to be a winner and we shouldn't have expected anything less from appearing on the show.

I can't dislike Akermanis for his performance tonight as he tried hard to stick to the facts from his perspective.

The club did the right thing by not subjecting Hall or any other player to it.

The sticking point for me was he insinuation of a fractured playing group, the best person to refute this would have obviously been a player. To the neutral observer it appears that we were simply looking for a reason to sack Aker and have picked a relatively flimsy one, sending a backroom figure onto the show only enforced this view. Aker grabbed all the points from tonight in my mind and what was a relatively split issue has now gatered into a vendetta against our club on behalf of innocent Akermanis

GVGjr
23-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Did anyone pick up Aker's faux pas when he referred to the conversation he had with Sam, then corrected himself and said Sam overhead. Later in the segment he again referred to having a conversation with Sam, who then grilled Cooney.

Yes I noticed it. He made that error a couple of times but I don't think it really changes things much.

G-Mo77
23-07-2010, 12:29 AM

As I said to my wife. They're getting caught in a web of their own lies.

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I thought one of the worst things was Newman claiming someone will 'neck' themselves if a but fragile under such treatment....irresponsible

Yes, that was poor.

Ghost Dog
23-07-2010, 12:30 AM

no, I did not pick up on that. That 'chinese restaurant' thing sounds a bit too made up.

Faux Pas has a different meaning.

A faux pas is a violation of accepted social norms (for example, standard customs or etiquette rules)

Mantis
23-07-2010, 12:30 AM

Aker mentioned this morning that he had spoken to Sam directly, but thought he did so 'in-confidence'.

comrade
23-07-2010, 12:31 AM
The sticking point for me was he insinuation of a fractured playing group, the best person to refute this would have obviously been a player. To the neutral observer it appears that we were simply looking for a reason to sack Aker and have picked a relatively flimsy one, sending a backroom figure onto the show only enforced this view. Aker grabbed all the points from tonight in my mind and what was a relatively split issue has now gatered into a vendetta against our club on behalf of innocent Akermanis

AS long as the playing group are united, who gives a crap if there is a vendetta against us.

I agree that Rose lost the points tonight.

GVGjr

The unanimous decision by the playing group was more around how it was phrased to the players. I'm fairly confident that it was not the total playing group that said he had to go and anyway Hall could not speak for all players.

I get what you are saying but a 1st year player at the club like Hall isn't the right person to field the questions.

The Bulldogs Bite
That was a disaster. It couldn't of gone worse. I'm convinced we're a chicken running around without its proverbial head. Why would we agree to do a live interview with Akermanis and Newman sitting either side? It's downright stupid. Secondly, why put Rose on the stand? He isn't qualified. He did the best he could, but he was overpowered by Aker/Sam the entire time. The crowd's response was pretty clear after that question regarding the sacking/Aker's lack of form. If ANYBODY was going to do this - surely it should have been the President of the club or James Fantasia?

What did we think would happen? God. I'm against Aker, but there's no disputing the fact that he made our club and Rose look guilty. I know of bulldog supporters/members already who are disgusted with the course of events.

Whilst many will say they can take a jump, the reality is - every member counts. Rightly or wrongly, tonight has only made things worse and divided supporters (and possibly the club) even further apart.

Just a disaster.

comrade
23-07-2010, 12:32 AM
no, I did not pick up on that. That 'chinese restaurant' thing sounds a bit too made up.

Faux Pas has a different meaning.

A faux pas is a violation of accepted social norms (for example, standard customs or etiquette rules)

Yes, yes. You know what I mean :D

Proves that Aker is a white ant and a Sam Newman is a liar.

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 12:33 AM
But TFS painted in and presented it in that light mate. Cam Rose has to be careful with what he says —*he is an employer who has sacked an employee and there are legal considerations on top of PR considerations. Comments he makes can still hurt the club if not considered and thought out. Aker, however, has the natural advantage of 1. being out of contract and free to speak and 2. having the support of the panel.

Fair enough, I thought his appearance and comments were pointless. Given the factors you mention, they might as well not have bothered.

soupman
23-07-2010, 12:33 AM
It's obviously a very tough and awkward situation and tonights interview didn't exactly help our cause.

Akermanis presented himself as the victim and looked visibly hurt. However, some of his points were bullshit.

One of his stuff ups was early on, when he mentioned the info Sam Newman had apparently overheard. The actual wording of his sentence however was something like "...conversation we/he had...overheard".

He also talked about who could have leaked some info to the media, saying how the only people who knew the info were Akermanis, Steve Price, Sam Newman and Rodney Eade. He then went on to say (with Newmans assistance) that clearly none of Price, Newman or Akermanis were the leak so that left one possibility. I'm still trying to figure out how Akermanis telling Price and newman doesn't classify as a leak.

As for Campbell Rose, he did as well as could be expected. However, why was he on? He said it himself at one point, that he wasn't the right person to ask. That makes us look like idiots. We have a trust issue, central to the game day perssonnel and we pull in a financial yachter with no experience as a footballer to speak on our behalf. I thought that was poor and it should have been either Smorgon, Eade or Johnno if anybody.

GVGjr
23-07-2010, 12:34 AM

Excellent point

ledge
23-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I think Aker dobbed himself in , first said he never leaked anything then mentioned when he told Newman.
The piss off bit actually showed how its all about him .

Gary Lyon actually had Aker in a bind about two clubs there has to be something about you.

angelopetraglia
23-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Rose did OK. But why not role at the big gun? Smorgon is a public speaking star, has the respect of the footy world and would not have been bullied by either Sam or Aker.

He always comes across with such raw passion and belief. Can't believe he wasn't there tonight.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 12:37 AM
I read this on BF and thought this Melbourne supporter summed up my thoughts really well.

Rose talks mostly in business school cliches. He doesn't want to get pinned down by any specifics because it makes it harder to talk in those cliches. It's non-committal, politically correct, nothing talk.

I have no doubt that Aker can be a pain in the arse to deal with, but it doesn't justify the action they have taken. Not to mention how stupid it is to sack him when they are running into a finals campaign. They could have kept him on ice to see if they needed him in the finals, avoided a media shit-storm, and allowed his contract to lapse instead of ending it on shaky grounds.

The Bulldogs have made an enormous tactical error here - even if you do swallow the "trust" reasoning. Poor administration.

Aker made some very good points and has made the Bulldogs look foolish.

A general survey of this thread says that a majority of neutral supporters believe Aker should not have been sacked. Maybe 75% no, 25% yes. Yet almost 100% of Bulldogs supporters side with the club. All this says is that club supporters don't think with logic, they think emotionally and devotedly. They can't afford to doubt what the Bulldogs are saying because it would mean walking away from the club.

Why do the Bulldogs need to claim that the decision was totally unanimous? It clearly wasn't. That's another one of those cliches that CEOs and presidents use? Again, makes them look silly. If the club had been less obsessed with pulling him into line and making "kangaroo courts", they could have let the season end, possibly won a premiership with Aker's help, and then parted ways. It's absurd to think that Aker's immediate removal will galvanise the club and solve all their problems. This will leave a worse climate at the club than what they were already experiencing. They have totally exaggerated the "trust" issue. He may have been the most hated person at the club, but it's got nothing to do with winning football matches. They should have waited til the end of the year to sort it out, and part ways then.

G-Mo77
23-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Fair enough, I thought his appearance and comments were pointless. Given the factors you mention, they might as well not have bothered.

I would have liked to have said nothing at all and avoided the shit storm and publicity this pathetic show got but if we went that way we would have been bagged even more. Throw anyone else out there and they would have been ambushed like Campbell Rose was tonight. Rose was the best guy for the job. He knew what he should or shouldn't say and didn't get caught up in the dribble Aker and Same were spewing out through the whole segment.

Rance Fan
Bit sad and ugly....not much good from all this. Lets hope we pull it all together and smash Freo on the weekend

lemmon
Rose did OK. But why not role at the big gun? Smorgon is a public speaking star, has the respect of the footy world and would not have been bullied by either Sam or Aker.

He always comes across with such raw passion and belief. Can't believe he wasn't there tonight.

Aker would have went to town on Smorgan, there is obviously animoisity between the two. The club obviously choose to send a representative who is on reasonably good terms with Aker but it backfired hideously when his lack of information was revealed.

Ghost Dog
23-07-2010, 12:40 AM
This has not been good for the club. The media is the only one who won out of this.
Maybe, being finals time, players and officials, feeling the pressure, have become a bit too brittle, didn't handle it as well as they might. It's the stressful part of the season.
Either way, Jason has come out of this looking better than us.
Does not matter. Some young player will fill his spot and make good use of it.
Sounds like there has been a real lack of communication and problem solving.
I feel sorry for Rocket, as if he does not have enough on his plate each time someone thrusts a mike into his face.

ledge
23-07-2010, 12:40 AM
It's obviously a very tough and awkward situation and tonights interview didn't exactly help our cause.

As for Campbell Rose, he did as well as could be expected. However, why was he on? He said it himself at one point, that he wasn't the right person to ask. That makes us look like idiots. We have a trust issue, central to the game day perssonnel and we pull in a financial yachter with no experience as a footballer to speak on our behalf. I thought that was poor and it should have been either Smorgon, Eade or Johnno if anybody.

What experience does Smorgon have as a footballer also?

Ghost Dog
23-07-2010, 12:41 AM
I think Aker dobbed himself in , first said he never leaked anything then mentioned when he told Newman.
The piss off bit actually showed how its all about him .

Gary Lyon actually had Aker in a bind about two clubs there has to be something about you.

Did he actually tell Rose to piss off?? I turned off just at that part.

Mantis
23-07-2010, 12:41 AM

Smorgon said what he wanted yesterday at the press conference and on the radio this morning.

Nothing was going to be gained by going on that show in that forum. The show is run by dills and is viewed by dills.

GVGjr
23-07-2010, 12:42 AM

Same here. Looked at it from a distance but wasn't listening to it.
Got a text confirming it.

G-Mo77
23-07-2010, 12:43 AM
The show is run by dills and is viewed by dills.

Truer words were never spoken :D

lemmon
Same here. Looked at it from a distance but wasn't listening to it.
Got a text confirming it.

It took it as being in jest, I may very well be wrong though.

LostDoggy
Although there was a fair bit going Cambell's way it wasn't a total lynching. Gary Lyon had a bit of a go against Jason. As much as the crowd booed in parts, It decent that the clubs willing to put someone in the firing line to answer the tough questions and not scared to let Jason have it all his own way. Rose may not have been involved in the discussions but he has staff he trusts and its probably as much about sharing the load with all the mdeia outlets. With hindsight we'll have to wait and see how it all panned out.

comrade
23-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Whilst it hasn't been a great couple of days, the sting will have gone out of the issue by next week and the media moved on to the next drama (here's hoping the Bombers get slaughtered).

Everyone's raw and we're copping it from all sides but this will blow over. Sooner than we think, IMO.

It's up to the players to stand up now.

angelopetraglia
Smorgon said what he wanted yesterday at the press conference and on the radio this morning.

Nothing was going to be gained by going on that show in that forum. The show is run by dills and is viewed by dills.

Good point. But if that is the case, why send anyone at all?

FrediKanoute
That whole segment only served to reinforce my feeling that the Western Bulldogs administration completely cocked this whole thing up - massively. Aker came on, and yes, he probably did only present the facts that put him in a good light. But at least he presented some facts. He offered to show Rose the texts he received from the 'unanimously united' (a paraphrase, not a direct quote) team mates, he spoke of the club clearing the slate (and Rose replied "Slate or no slate"???). The dig at Smithy probably wasn't necessary, but was it necessary to have a dig at Aker in the press? He gets criticised when he does that. For mine, Campbell Rose came across as an uninvolved figurehead, openly admitting he wasn't there at certain points, and continually harping on about loss of trust, whilst not actually adding any new information to the situation. He said nothing in that whole segment that isn't known or hasn't been said. I thought he was a mealy-mouthed, namby-pamby yachtsman before - my view hasn't changed. Sure, he's done an lot for our club's business affairs, but his appearance tonight was a waste of time. He got whacked, and deserved it. Call me naive, call me gullible, call me worse if you want, but at the end of that segment, I felt Aker to be the more believable, and the Club to have added NOTHING more to the information already presented.

Yes, I'm peeved. I did laugh when he shook Rose's hand at the end (which I'd have struggled to do) and then said "Now piss off"...

Is there anything more serious than a loss of trust? I don't think we should underplay jsut how important trust is in a team. Its not some small insignificant factor, but pretty much the essence of what being in a team is about. To me it seems that the media has trivialised the issue of trust when in reality it is central to team cohesion. I think what this whole episode does is provide an example of just how important trust is to a group.

As for your comment's on Rose I think they are wide of the mark.

LostDoggy
That was so similar to watching Jerry Springer it was scary.

The Pie Man
23-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Whilst it hasn't been a great couple of days, the sting will have gone out of the issue by next week and the media moved on to the next drama (here's hoping the Bombers get slaughtered).

Everyone's raw and we're copping it from all sides but this will blow over. Sooner than we think, IMO.

True - can't wait for Sunday

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2010, 12:46 AM

That's not for the club to decide on though. Fact is, many members are filthy about it and have already threatened their membership. As pathetic as that is, they all count - we aren't a club that can afford a disaster such as this. The consequences far out weigh any 'pride' factor we may have.

All tonight has done is paint an ugly picture of the Western Bulldogs football club as a whole. Not to mention, the added pressure to the rest of the season.

GVGjr
23-07-2010, 12:48 AM

They simply have to now.

Ghost Dog
23-07-2010, 12:52 AM
They simply have to now.

If what the club says is true and there was a breach of trust, we will pull together.
If the club has been unfair to Jason then there will be divisions in the group. The point Jason made about ' I hope you have the same rules for everyone' would be in the back of any player's mind.

You can't run a car on dirty fuel.
Horrible distraction.
Play ball and put it behind you lads.

Mantis
23-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Good point. But if that is the case, why send anyone at all?

I guess it was decided that wasn't an option as it may be viewed that we had something to hide.

The Underdog
23-07-2010, 01:00 AM

Hang on, there's a guy at Ch. Nine's whose job description is "head of entertainment". WTF does he do with the 23 hours a day he's not negotiating for new episodes of Two and a Half Men?

Can I say tonight was a great night to be stuck at work.

FrediKanoute
23-07-2010, 01:02 AM
That's not for the club to decide on though. Fact is, many members are filthy about it and have already threatened their membership. As pathetic as that is, they all count - we aren't a club that can afford a disaster such as this. The consequences far out weigh any 'pride' factor we may have.

All tonight has done is paint an ugly picture of the Western Bulldogs football club as a whole. Not to mention, the added pressure to the rest of the season.

They can just F*ck off then.......the club is bigger than an individual. If they don't want to be part fo the Western Bulldogs Football Club good. If they are going to withdraw financial support every time they don't agree with a club decision then they are people the club can do without......what would Teddy or Charlie or Granty done in this situation? I personally couldn't give a rat's a*se about people who threaten like that!

By all means debate the decision, criticise where necessary, but withdrawing your support is childish....almost akin to taking your bat and ball and going home....playground stuff really!

Dazza
23-07-2010, 01:11 AM
I didn't realy care about this until tonight.

A few things I was worried about was Akermanis saying that this has divided the group and also mentioning that not every player has the same set of rules. Also mentioned "thats if you have a team next year" while stating that.

Seems to me there is some tension amongst the group.

Ghost Dog
23-07-2010, 01:11 AM
They can just F*ck off then.......the club is bigger than an individual. If they don't want to be part fo the Western Bulldogs Football Club good. If they are going to withdraw financial support every time they don't agree with a club decision then they are people the club can do without......what would Teddy or Charlie or Granty done in this situation? I personally couldn't give a rat's a*se about people who threaten like that!

By all means debate the decision, criticise where necessary, but withdrawing your support is childish....almost akin to taking your bat and ball and going home....playground stuff really!

Preaching to the converted there. some members are like that but unfortunately, in terms of a single membership, their dollars do weigh the same as an ardent supporter. Those dollars are what the football department needs to compete with other clubs.

The club enjoyed a little of what marketing value Jason brought, now they are going to lose out a bit.
So it goes.

ledge
23-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Lets give credit to the Luke Darcy article where he says he had to go, I would take Lukes word as he knows the club very well and all the players, being recently retired.

ledge
23-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I didn't realy care about this until tonight.

A few things I was worried about was Akermanis saying that this has divided the group and also mentioning that not every player has the same set of rules. Also mentioned "thats if you have a team next year" while stating that.

Seems to me there is some tension amongst the group.

To me these statements prove to me why he was sacked.
Obviously trying to divide.
All about him and how the club wouldnt be there now he isnt.

Mantis
23-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Lets give credit to the Luke Darcy article where he says he had to go, I would take Lukes word as he knows the club very well and all the players, being recently retired.

What has what Darcy stated got to with what was said on TFS?

Jasper
23-07-2010, 01:16 AM
I guess it was decided that wasn't an option as it may be viewed that we had something to hide.

I believe that if Rose hadn't of appeared J Brown and G Lyon would have done the job for us, and more effectively. Big Jon was our greatest weapon and he didn't say boo once Rose stepped up.

ledge
23-07-2010, 01:17 AM
What has what Darcy stated got to with what was said on TFS?

Sorry just seems 99% of the media , being footy show also is against the club, just thought i would mention Lukes wasnt.
His article was exactly what Rose was getting at "trust"

Lurgan
23-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Cam Rose was set up, but he handled it as well as it could be handled, and left with his dignity intact, unlike Aker, with his 'piss off' comment, and snide comments off-mike to Newman.

I don't think Smorgon would have done better, and I don't think it would have been appropriate to set up a current player, Barry Hall or anyone else, to be there.

The club is bigger than Aker, bigger than any one person, but Aker is a narcissist and just doesn't get it. Whereas a politician puts out propaganda but doesn't believe it, Aker convinces himself it's all true. All the inconsistencies don't matter to him.

And, cleverly, he and the execrable Sam Newman represent what's happened as the failure of a club to accommodate an individual (or a 'character'). It's not that at all. Clubs and supporters love 'characters', but there are some things not negotiable and solidarity and loyalty are among those. Minson's a character, Barry's a great character, the Beard is a character; we can manage all of this and love them too, even when they come from other clubs, but they're team men. That's what makes a football club.

Luke Darcy's article (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/98715/default.aspx) puts it well: when Aker arrived at the Dogs, he was chastened, after the Brisbane experience. But gradually, the narcissism took over, and now we're here.

I don't care about Aker. Players come and go. I only care about the club.

Public perception be whatever it is. We're Footscray. We're the Western Bulldogs. We stick with our beliefs and values.

ledge
23-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Browny said a lot without saying anything.

Mantis
23-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Browny said a lot without saying anything.

Didn't sit real close to Aker either... Looked like he was trying to distance himself from Aker.

G-Mo77
23-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Didn't sit real close to Aker either... Looked like he was trying to distance himself from Aker.

Gee maybe Aker was a problem then. :D

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Aker mentioned this morning that he had spoken to Sam directly, but thought he did so 'in-confidence'.

Doing something “in-confidence” doesn't vindicate you when you're breaking another confidence placed in you in the mean-time.

BulldogBelle
23-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Hmmm, I just saw The Footy Show. I have a different slant on things than most. I thought that Cam Rose was very good and that Acker actually lost the debate.

It appears that there were a lot of mis-truths and most of them generated by Sam himself, especially in his opening tirade. Besides the 'overhear' faux pas I have a strong suspicion that he has a membership of every AFL club as do other media commentators. It ensures that they get news from clubs and is tax deductible.

I don't think that Akermanis lies, he just suffers from Dunning-Kruger effect, alluded to by another supporter. He was asked who betrayed him. Aker dodged the word 'betrayed' but never-the-less Newman made sure that it got into people's consciousness.

Aker said that he wasn't sacked from Brisbane but agreed to leave. According to Aker this was a much better outcome than the Bulldogs, the audience and a reasonable person would agree to this - until you realise the weeks of turmoil that Brisbane went through beforehand.

He has no concept that it is insolent to spout on public radio that he has done his time and doesn't know why he is not back in the team. Aker is in the centre of the world that revolves around him. There is a name for this sickness that somebody may be able to find. Narcissistism, somebody said.

Aker said that nobody had the right to tell him what to do outside the club. He is delusional.

When asked about the poor comments he was about to write in a book about his teammates he avoided the question by saying that he had only made some rough notes. But did not deny the allegation, then asked for proof. Like I said before Aker is no liar, his silence on the question can be taken as admission. Earlier on radio he said that he wrote no bad notes. Bit confusing. He knows they cannot get proof and just have to go on his word. So, how did it come out, did he tell one of his trusted teammates, who dobbed him in?

Can you believe that Aker did not know what was going on in the meeting when he was being discussed regarding his proposed book? He said he didn't see it (the sacking) coming. You would think you would have to be a moron. But Aker's world revolves around himself.

He said that he had been brought before the group 3 times. If it was me I think that one time would have been enough. Three times?

Funny that Aker said he did no leaking but admitted to leaking info to Sam. Also his self-promotion on radio regarding why he hasn't been selected was very poor form. It was just mean't to unduly influence the selection committee (who have SFB) and marginalise the coach.

He reckons that he has text messages from 3 Bulldog players, but says nothing specific about the messages but leads you to believe they were against his sackings. Apparently he was quite prepared to show those texts to Rose, thus betraying his supposed supporters.

Unanimous decisions are reached by a group even when one of the group initially disagree. The one who disagrees then agrees to go with the group decision and the group then announces a unanimous decision. Its team orientation.

Aker will find it difficult to work with a team in the media also. They all have to work together too. I could see a few more odd bits there too but hey.

Sam Newman is the most devisive.

The other two commentators on the footy show plus Johnathan Brown were pro Bulldogs.

chef
23-07-2010, 07:32 AM

Yeah he did, and when he realised the cameras had caught him he added a sheepish 'just joking'.

BulldogBelle
23-07-2010, 08:15 AM

l did notice this as well.

l think the Cooney interview was planned by Aker and Sam and now the truth has came out.

w3design
23-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Yeah he did, and when he realised the cameras had caught him he added a sheepish 'just joking'.

Doesn't that say it all. It's only when he's caught red handed that Aker can ever possibly be wrong.

Dancin' Douggy
23-07-2010, 10:17 AM

Yes, he let it slip the first time and corrected himself.
He let it slip again and didn't correct himself.
He then kept openly referring to the conversation HE'D HAD WITH SAM.
As if no one would notice.

Dancin' Douggy
23-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Sam was absolutely despicable last night.
Aker might as well have been sitting on his lap.
First time I've watched the footy show in about 5 years and last time I'll ever watch it.

I almost feel sorry for Aker because he just doesn't get it.
J. Brown just looked like he wanted to punch the living shit out of him.

If he had have retired last year the whole Aker/ Bulldogs story would have been a great redemptive chapter to the end of Akers career.
Now it's a sorry ugly pathetic farce.

stefoid
23-07-2010, 10:58 AM

Indeed, and got a doubletake from Sam.

Desipura
23-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Im glad I got my much needed sleep and did not waste 2.5 hours watching a show as outdated as "Hey Hey its Saturday".

Hotdog60
23-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Now that Aker has aired he's views in public, I think that it will now be old news and die a natural death. The public will soon get over the event and life will go on as usual.

Aker may try over the next couple of week cause a bit of stirring but I don't think too many will be concerned.

All that needs to happen now is the Bulldogs as a team get on with the job of playing football and carve their path to a final, do this and no one will care what Aker has to say.

How much can someone bag a winning team.

Grantysghost
23-07-2010, 11:48 AM
My opinion is I think he lost a lot of people with that one (telling Rose to p155 off), me included, and potting Rohan Smith and Brad Johnson, what a turkey. The blatant lie about Sam overhearing Aker whinge about the process came out too, he doesn’t understand its not the criticising of the process that screwed him, he could do that inhouse until his tonsils bled ( I agree it’s management wank) or he was told to shutup, but that he blabbed about it to the biggest mouth in Australia which created a situation where Adam Cooney a star of the club and brownlow medalist had to defend himself in public over confidential in house matters all for the glorification of Sams massive ego and footy show ratings. Strangely Aker wasn't too upset about that.
And that its not that he wrote the article about gay footballers, but that he lied about changing it and made the club look stupid. And he keeps saying what did I do!?? He was kicked out of Brisbane for leaking info only 4 years ago.

Rose was brilliant, really made me feel the club was strongly led and determined. An organisation I am proud to be a part of. Bring on Sunday!

ledge
23-07-2010, 12:27 PM
My opinion is I think he lost a lot of people with that one (telling Rose to p155 off), me included, and potting Rohan Smith and Brad Johnson, what a turkey. The blatant lie about Sam overhearing Aker whinge about the process came out too, he doesn’t understand its not the criticising of the process that screwed him, he could do that inhouse until his tonsils bled ( I agree it’s management wank) or he was told to shutup, but that he blabbed about it to the biggest mouth in Australia which created a situation where Adam Cooney a star of the club and brownlow medalist had to defend himself in public over confidential in house matters all for the glorification of Sams massive ego and footy show ratings. Strangely Aker wasn't too upset about that.
And that its not that he wrote the article about gay footballers, but that he lied about changing it and made the club look stupid. And he keeps saying what did I do!?? He was kicked out of Brisbane for leaking info only 4 years ago.

Rose was brilliant, really made me feel the club was strongly led and determined. An organisation I am proud to be a part of. Bring on Sunday!

Great point, seems he claims its all about playing footy but will put others in difficult situations off field, name names and doesnt care.

That is not a team person.
Sadly the traits of a serial killer, no sign of emotion for others.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 12:36 PM
For me the highlight of this debacle was J. Brown. Whenever Aker said anything about Brisbane the look on JB's face was of total disbelief. It did look as if he wanted to punch the crapola out of him. JB did a lot for our clubs cause, more so than Rose, because if semi-intelligent people were watching and took notice of Browns body language and facial expressions, it conveyed a total lack of respect for Aker, and what he was saying and also he had a look of "heard all this before, here we go again" on his dial.

It was also good of JB to get stuck into Sam at the beginning and defend our club. He is clearly no fan of Aker, but more than that he is no fan of Aker's posturing and morals.

JB has seen it all before and he does have cred.

ledge
23-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I love Jonathan Brown as a person, seems to be a good head on his shoulders..if only...

Ghost Dog
23-07-2010, 05:40 PM

While I didn't disagree with the post, and I think Aker is a stinker,
I'm not so sure the club has it's hands clean entirely.
Why did they need to drag out past indiscretions and put them into a legal letter after they had been made invalid the previous season? As he has carried on like a dill for a while, everyone is willing to overlook the fact that there not all seems quite right in the whole thing, and Aker, while being a pain in the arse and deserving to go, did have some reasonable points.
It's not really as black and white as all that, so we can beat the club drum loud enough to drown out any dissent. I think there were faults on both sides IMO - as is the case in any disagreement.

Scorlibo
23-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Is there any footage up of the confrontation?

angelopetraglia
23-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Aker on the footy show;

udNeE4YqsKk

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 07:06 PM
The problem with Aker is that nothing is ever his fault and he is unable to see other peoples point on view and for him to say that he didn't see it coming i find hard to beleive.

The only reason Sam stuck up for him is cause he feels guilty about his role in it and Aker after been frozen out by 2 clubs and losing the respect of at least 80% of his team mates still dose not see what he has done and blames other people for turning people against him

Aker you need to look in the Mirror mate

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 07:25 PM
the interesting thing with this whole discussion is the way we all perceive the debate differently - you and I can see the same thing, and view it two different ways.

a lot of people are saying that Cam Rose did well and Aker came out looking like a two-faced liar (my summary!), while others say Cam Rose struggled, and Aker came out smelling like roses. All perception.

the vast majority of the public is pro-Aker, and this is going to hurt the club, at least in the short term.

sure, some people will be like "F--- the public, who cares", but the club needs all the support it can get. I am curious to see what happens as a result of this.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Aker mentioned that a player supported him, but wouldn't stand up for him because he was out of contract at the end of the year.

Got me curious - which players are out of contract at the end of the year?

G-Mo77
23-07-2010, 07:34 PM
the vast majority of the public is pro-Aker, and this is going to hurt the club, at least in the short term.

Vast majority. You're kidding right? How do you determine that? Listening to TFS viewers and BF flogs? Online surveys? These are the same turkeys that said Aker should have been sacked over the gay article, they're also the same twits that boo him every week when he gets the ball now that he is gone all of a sudden he is the second coming.

People who want to complain are a lot more vocal than those who are satisfied with the outcome. In the end we'll be better off without him a win this week will kill this story and Aker will be left clutching at straws to keep his ugly head in the spotlight.

Got me curious - which players are out of contract at the end of the year?

If he actually exists it's obviously a player who is fighting for a contract not someone like Harbrow or Griffen.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Vast majority. You're kidding right? How do you determine that? Listening to TFS viewers and BF flogs? Online surveys? These are the same turkeys that said Aker should have been sacked over the gay article, they're also the same twits that boo him every week when he gets the ball now that he is gone all of a sudden he is the second coming.

People who want to complain are a lot more vocal than those who are satisfied with the outcome. In the end we'll be better off without him a win this week will kill this story and Aker will be left clutching at straws to keep his ugly head in the spotlight.

Online surveys are in favour of Aker, crowd on TFS are in favour of Aker, people I talk to at work (non-Bulldogs supporters) are in favour of Aker. Not proof that something is right or wrong, just what it is. Don't put people down who watch a certain show, or read a certain blog, etc. Every person has value, even if we disagree with them. I grow tired of people who write on forums, and who name call and denigrate others.

Does the fact that these things all favour Aker make it right? No. Is it a fact? Yes. No matter how you slice it or dice it, people love Aker. That's all I'm trying to say.

G-Mo77
23-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Online surveys are in favour of Aker, crowd on TFS are in favour of Aker, people I talk to at work (non-Bulldogs supporters) are in favour of Aker. Not proof that something is right or wrong, just what it is. Don't put people down who watch a certain show, or read a certain blog, etc. Every person has value, even if we disagree with them. I grow tired of people who write on forums, and who name call and denigrate others.

Does the fact that these things all favour Aker make it right? No. Is it a fact? Yes. No matter how you slice it or dice it, people love Aker. That's all I'm trying to say.

And all I'm trying to say it is severely skewed. All those facts you brought in are from one demographic apart from friends and colleagues as I don't know anything about them. Most people I have talked to have been in favor of the decision to sack him. Not highly in favour but around 6-7 people out of 10 thinks the club did the right thing.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I thought Aker had friends in the playing group, yet didn't know his sacking was coming.

Weird.

G-Mo77
23-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I thought Aker had friends in the playing group, yet didn't know his sacking was coming.

Weird.

I'm sure Sam Newman could show you the text messages. :D

Before I Die
23-07-2010, 08:01 PM
the interesting thing with this whole discussion is the way we all perceive the debate differently - you and I can see the same thing, and view it two different ways.

a lot of people are saying that Cam Rose did well and Aker came out looking like a two-faced liar (my summary!), while others say Cam Rose struggled, and Aker came out smelling like roses. All perception.

sure, some people will be like "F--- the public, who cares", but the club needs all the support it can get. I am curious to see what happens as a result of this.

How is it going to hurt the club?????

What support are you referring to and how is it going to be affected by Aker's sacking????

We are not going to lose sponsors or have a diminished media profile. Memberships sales have already finished for the year. Memberships next year will depend on how we finish in 2010, not on Aker. We lose nothing in playing personal as Aker circa 2010 (despite what he may believe)was struggling to get a game in our senior team.

I really can't see any negative in his sacking for the club. Whereas I could see great potential for damage if he stayed and the playing group became more fractured. It is sad for Aker, but FFS, he is a grown man and he has to take responsibility for his actions.

Pickenitup
23-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I feel sorry for Aker cause clearly he cant tell the truth firstly he lied to the club re the
Herald Sun article the Club embrasses ourselves by defending him to the media .
He says his book is in a draught process the book was due for release last year but was delayed cause
he chose to play on .Shows he is not a team man by bagging Rohan Smith just after he said he treats people better than they treat him and then direspects Campbell Rose after he leaves the set.
I am so glad Aker is gone from our Great Club time to grow up and have a good look in the
mirror Aker

FrediKanoute
23-07-2010, 08:15 PM

I'm one of the people who have this attitude ...... 98% of the people commenting have nothing to do with our club, don't directly support our club in any way. They are entitled to their opinion yes, but saying that their opinions are going to cost the club is stretching the point. What I would say is that if you are a member and you are not going to renew your support next year becasue of the Aker affair.....f*ck off and go home and grow up! You're exactly the type of supporter our club doesn't need.

Re I don't get where people are coming from re Aker......I never got the impression that he was that popular. Well known yes, but popular? Yes many feel he may have been hard done by, but I think in the wash up I think that people will realise that he was an individual in a team game who fell out with not one but two clubs, had a tendency to shoot from the hip and say things whcih lacked thought and evidence......wow I've just described 99% of the journalistic community!

ledge
23-07-2010, 08:21 PM
How is it going to hurt the club?????

What support are you referring to and how is it going to be affected by Aker's sacking????

We are not going to lose sponsors or have a diminished media profile. Memberships sales have already finished for the year. Memberships next year will depend on how we finish in 2010, not on Aker. We lose nothing in playing personal as Aker circa 2010 (despite what he may believe)was struggling to get a game in our senior team.

I really can't see any negative in his sacking for the club. Whereas I could see great potential for damage if he stayed and the playing group became more fractured. It is sad for Aker, but FFS, he is a grown man and he has to take responsibility for his actions.

Great thoughts and a very truthful way of putting it.
Its not about Aker its about how the club finishes off the season.

Stefcep
23-07-2010, 08:39 PM
I think anyone who says Rose came out better than Aker was watching some other Footy show in an alternate reality. Aker won in the Court of Public Opinion. Easily!!

One MAJOR reason why Aker came out looking better than Rose is because IMO Rose looked like every bit the A-hole boss in a suit giving an employee the arse. Rose achieved this by being evasive, and by not being specific about any of the details. He just kept repeating the tired, scripted and rehearsed line that "the club and players no longer trusted Aker". Rose didn't actually say anything more than that. Why go on the show!!!!! And his feeble "my son wears Aker's number" was just embarrasing.

Everyone knows someone or- maybe first hand- who's got the arse because of an A-hole boss, and Rose played that part magnificently.

IMO Aker did Rose over by challenging him with "which players, you wanna see the text messages". He also called Rose on the fact that he had done everything the club had asked of him when playing at Willi, and asked why did they make him go through punishing his body, when they had already decided to sack him. Rose replied by saying he has little to do with the actual football department. playing list and team selection, his role was marketing, budgeting etc. So why the F was he there talking to Aker? Aker was also successfull in describing the sacking as an ambush by a pack of gutless administrators, people who wouldn't even look him the eye. Rose's manner, tone, and club role did nothing to dispel that.

Why the club sent in an administrator; bean counter, and spin doctor to go against Aker is beyond me. Smorgo should been there with Johno as the captain beside him, but IMO the club should not have been there in the first place.

Aker came across as an ordinary bloke who just wanted to play football. He connected with the salt of the earth "ordinary" footy fan. And he "stuck it to the man" by telling him to "piss off" to boot.

Not the Clubs finest hour.

Before I Die
23-07-2010, 08:49 PM

I don't agree. But even if I am wrong, it was more like 5 minutes rather than an hour. However, I am sure it doesn't matter. I have seen more anger on this board about Everitt not getting a game. As for the opinions of supporters from other teams, "Well frankly my dear, I don't give a damn". And I am pretty confident, neither does the club.

Rocco Jones
23-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Despite all his onfield success, I believe Aker will always be the kid with acne who had has dad walk out on him deep down inside.

Throughandthrough
23-07-2010, 09:14 PM
We are not going to lose sponsors or have a diminished media profile. Memberships sales have already finished for the year. Memberships next year will depend on how we finish in 2010, not on Aker.

We have two new players to market the club next year...

Liberatore + Wallis...........

Stefcep
23-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Despite all his onfield success, I believe Aker will always be the kid with acne who had has dad walk out on him deep down inside.

I think there's a lot of truth in that. But i don't hold it agianst him. IMO its a big reason for all the confused boys we have in our a society as well

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 10:40 PM
I think anyone who says Rose came out better than Aker was watching some other Footy show in an alternate reality. Aker won in the Court of Public Opinion. Easily!!

One MAJOR reason why Aker came out looking better than Rose is because IMO Rose looked like every bit the A-hole boss in a suit giving an employee the arse. Rose achieved this by being evasive, and by not being specific about any of the details. He just kept repeating the tired, scripted and rehearsed line that "the club and players no longer trusted Aker". Rose didn't actually say anything more than that. Why go on the show!!!!! And his feeble "my son wears Aker's number" was just embarrasing.

Everyone knows someone or- maybe first hand- who's got the arse because of an A-hole boss, and Rose played that part magnificently.

IMO Aker did Rose over by challenging him with "which players, you wanna see the text messages". He also called Rose on the fact that he had done everything the club had asked of him when playing at Willi, and asked why did they make him go through punishing his body, when they had already decided to sack him. Rose replied by saying he has little to do with the actual football department. playing list and team selection, his role was marketing, budgeting etc. So why the F was he there talking to Aker? Aker was also successfull in describing the sacking as an ambush by a pack of gutless administrators, people who wouldn't even look him the eye. Rose's manner, tone, and club role did nothing to dispel that.

Why the club sent in an administrator; bean counter, and spin doctor to go against Aker is beyond me. Smorgo should been there with Johno as the captain beside him, but IMO the club should not have been there in the first place.

Aker came across as an ordinary bloke who just wanted to play football. He connected with the salt of the earth "ordinary" footy fan. And he "stuck it to the man" by telling him to "piss off" to boot.

This was a turning point, where Rose could have finished the whole segment by saying thanks but no thanks, Aker if you HAVE any messages then I would not want you to lose the trust of the only players left on the list. Quickly followed by a nice little YOU JUST DONT GET IT MATE!!!!

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 10:57 PM
For me it comes down to who do I trust. Smorgon, Eade, Johnson, at least the vast majority of players, Darcy etc. or Aker? Let's see, a man who brought this club back from the brink of death (just about), a coach who has taken us to 4/6 finals series (after this year), our club game record holder/AA captain/the epitome of loyalty, a bunch of guys who had to put up with him all the time and a former club captain, or Aker, the guy who whether he admits it or not, got kicked out of two clubs. It's a toughy, I must say :rolleyes:

That Footy Show interview proved to me why I love players like Morris, Boyd, Hargrave and so on. Some of the things he said were just disgusting. For starters he tells our CEO to piss off (in jest or not, I believe the latter), accuses Johnno of conspiring against him, takes a cheap shot at a club legend in Smith, basically compares the VFL to some sort of hell hole, that telling a 'mate' club secrets is OK (after we were led to believe it was 'overheard')...and these Aker-lovers reckon we should keep this bloke? Turn it up. He only believes in on field trust, but what he fails to understand is that it is a whole lot easier to respect someone on field if you respect (but not necessarily like) them off field. This is true on every level of sport, hell, I'm sure it's true in any workplace where you work in a team. He is simply deluded. He was clearly a great player, but when the negatives have long outweighed the positives (think of it this way, Dale Morris is only 2 goals behind him this season, scary thought), it's time to say good-bye. I only wish he'd retired last year.

Edit- This is not directed at anyone, just needed to vent :)

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Sadly the traits of a serial killer, no sign of emotion for others.

Oh please, you're likening someone who talks too much to too many, to someone who takes the lives of others?

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Is there anything more serious than a loss of trust? I don't think we should underplay jsut how important trust is in a team. Its not some small insignificant factor, but pretty much the essence of what being in a team is about. To me it seems that the media has trivialised the issue of trust when in reality it is central to team cohesion. I think what this whole episode does is provide an example of just how important trust is to a group.

As for your comment's on Rose I think they are wide of the mark.

A loss of trust based on speculation, rumour etc is pretty flimsy, IMO. Without cold, hard facts, shouldn't trust remain? Or can they just oust players based on a feeling? I had a long discussion on this today at work. My boss was saying how she had investigated the Leading Teams approach (going as far as having meetings with reps from the company), investigating the idea of using them to work with our "Leadership Team". One reason they decided against it was the strategy of sitting a person in front of their colleagues and airing the perceived issues with their performance with the entire group. She was saying it is a strategy that simply is not effective with some people. I thought that was interesting...

On C. Rose, they're just my opinions. Right or wrong, that's how he comes across to me.

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 11:42 PM

Charming...

G-Mo77
23-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Charming...

Footy show fan hey?

Not surprised.....

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 11:47 PM
I would have liked to have said nothing at all and avoided the shit storm and publicity this pathetic show got but if we went that way we would have been bagged even more. Throw anyone else out there and they would have been ambushed like Campbell Rose was tonight. Rose was the best guy for the job. He knew what he should or shouldn't say and didn't get caught up in the dribble Aker and Same were spewing out through the whole segment.

And in the process made the club look pathetic, IMO. They could just have well sent the receptionist to read a statement. I took nothing from his appearance or words at all.

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Footy show fan hey?

Not surprised.....

Care to elaborate?

G-Mo77
23-07-2010, 11:49 PM
And in the process made the club look pathetic, IMO. They could just have well sent the receptionist to read a statement. I took nothing from his appearance or words at all.

You'd already made your mind up anyway. He could have came out and spilled everything and you would still not believe anything. :rolleyes:

AndrewP6
23-07-2010, 11:52 PM
You'd already made your mind up anyway. He could have came out and spilled everything and you would still not believe anything. :rolleyes:

Not true...

Mantis
23-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Charming...

I should have put in a disclaimer that is mainly viewed by dills.

The level they need to stoop to raise a laugh is pathetic. Street talk each week shows the dregs of society trotted out to create a laugh and to let Sam take the mickey out of them - It was funny for the first year or two, but after 15+ years of the same crap that segment must surely have run it's race.

The main man ( Sam) doesn't like or watch footy anymore... So what does he offer the show?

There is no discussion on the show worth listening to and one would have thought that either Barrett or Hutchinson should have either ran or been involved in the discussions last night to add some credibility, but why would they want to do that when they can chuck 'the fossil' out and let him make a complete arse of himself by trying to cover up the fact that he let down Aker big time and was a contributing factor to his demise.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 11:55 PM
I couldn't believe Sam was actually wearing the scarf at the end of the show, after what he had to say about the club. Corrupt, hidden agenda etc... felt like reaching through the TV and grabbing it off his neck.

Topdog
24-07-2010, 12:00 AM
A loss of trust based on speculation, rumour etc is pretty flimsy, IMO. Without cold, hard facts, shouldn't trust remain? Or can they just oust players based on a feeling?

Did you miss the part where Aker admitted twice that he told Sam about the meeting? Sam then used that info to grill Cooney on TFS.

Did you also miss the part where he said the Herald Sun edited his comments and then later apologised and somehow still stated that he wasn't a liar.

Also whilst being on his good behaviour leave (VFL stint) he broke yet another club rule by calling an opposition player a dribbler. Now if this was a spur of the moment comment than it could be laughed off but he actually said this the following morning on MTR. In other words MTR had clearly become his main priority.

I had a long discussion on this today at work. My boss was saying how she had investigated the Leading Teams approach (going as far as having meetings with reps from the company), investigating the idea of using them to work with our "Leadership Team". One reason they decided against it was the strategy of sitting a person in front of their colleagues and airing the perceived issues with their performance with the entire group. She was saying it is a strategy that simply is not effective with some people. I thought that was interesting...

On C. Rose, they're just my opinions. Right or wrong, that's how he comes across to me.

Leading teams won't work in every environment that is for sure.

I disliked the approach of the club by putting anyone on TFS. We should have let him mouth off and then when asked about it the following day just referred back to the press statement we gave earlier. A simple "It's done and dusted and we are focusing on Freo" would have been suffice.

GVGjr
24-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I wasn't really a watcher of the show but I stopped watching it once that Lyon stuck up for Sam with that Caroline Wilson skit.

FWIW, last night I thought they did a reasonable job of being impartial and it was certainly better than I expected. I can understand Akermanis being bitter after all he trained all season in the hope of playing in the finals and that dream has been cut short.

I understand the club position as well. I'm not going to bag Akermanis nor do I intend to with the club as it's now been dealt with.

AndrewP6
24-07-2010, 12:16 AM
I should have put in a disclaimer that is mainly viewed by dills.

The level they need to stoop to raise a laugh is pathetic. Street talk each week shows the dregs of society trotted out to create a laugh and to let Sam take the mickey out of them - It was funny for the first year or two, but after 15+ years of the same crap that segment must surely have run it's race.

The main man ( Sam) doesn't like or watch footy anymore... So what does he offer the show?

There is no discussion on the show worth listening to and one would have thought that either Barrett or Hutchinson should have either ran or been involved in the discussions last night to add some credibility, but why would they want to do that when they can chuck 'the fossil' out and let him make a complete arse of himself by trying to cover up the fact that he let down Aker big time and was a contributing factor to his demise.

Apology accepted ;). I do tune in most weeks to TFS, but certainly not for highbrow discussion or in-depth analysis. I don't take their word as gospel, more as light-entertainment. I get narky when the have a dig at our team, and laugh at some of the antics. I confess, I laugh at Street Talk (sometimes!), but do agree that it's not great the way they target certain demographics (and deny doing it). Billy's an idiot, but makes me laugh.

AndrewP6
24-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Did you miss the part where Aker admitted twice that he told Sam about the meeting? Sam then used that info to grill Cooney on TFS.

Did you also miss the part where he said the Herald Sun edited his comments and then later apologised and somehow still stated that he wasn't a liar.
Fair call, he does have foot-in-mouth disease! :)

Also whilst being on his good behaviour leave (VFL stint) he broke yet another club rule by calling an opposition player a dribbler. Now if this was a spur of the moment comment than it could be laughed off but he actually said this the following morning on MTR. In other words MTR had clearly become his main priority.

Lantern posted on this issue (god knows where, I've read soooo many posts the last two days! :) ) I really think if this (dumb) comment caused such angst within the club, they're too precious for their own good. He said something wrong, smack him, get on with it.

Leading teams won't work in every environment that is for sure.

I disliked the approach of the club by putting anyone on TFS. We should have let him mouth off and then when asked about it the following day just referred back to the press statement we gave earlier. A simple "It's done and dusted and we are focusing on Freo" would have been suffice.

Yes, I've said as much. They may as well have put the presser on a big screen and pressed play. Rose said nothing.

KT31
24-07-2010, 12:57 AM
I wasn't really a watcher of the show but I stopped watching it once that Lyon stuck up for Sam with that Caroline Wilson skit.

FWIW, last night I thought they did a reasonable job of being impartial and it was certainly better than I expected. I can understand Akermanis being bitter after all he trained all season in the hope of playing in the finals and that dream has been cut short.

I understand the club position as well. I'm not going to bag Akermanis nor do I intend to with the club as it's now been dealt with.

I agree , I thought Brayshaw and Lyons were impartial and it was a lot better than I expected.
Aker certainly came across bitter ( as one would be wether right or wrong)
Newman came across, as I expected the prize dick he really is.
Thought it was a great comment from J.Brown to Newman, that he was so far removed from the innner sactum of a football club that he would not have a clue about what goes on.

Scraggers
24-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Fair call, he does have foot-in-mouth disease! :)

Lantern posted on this issue (god knows where, I've read soooo many posts the last two days! :) ) I really think if this (dumb) comment caused such angst within the club, they're too precious for their own good. He said something wrong, smack him, get on with it.

Yes, I've said as much. They may as well have put the presser on a big screen and pressed play. Rose said nothing.

I've read a lot of your posts over the last two days ... Some I agree with and some I vehermently oppose ...

The whole point of it was :-
1. The rules were laid out on the table for him by his employer ... Be them right or wrong, they were the rules ... He agreed to them ... His employer agreed to them ... His work colleagues agreed to them
2. Clean slate or not ... He broke said rules THREE times in six weeks ... Even after continous warnings
3. Aker's employer came to a very difficult conclusion that he could not be trusted to Not break a rule again.

Whether Aker liked Leading Teams' approach or not is not the issue ... He signed for the year knowing full well what the process was and the consequences for breaking the rules.

I applaud the club for setting high standards of both on field and off field behaviour ... And I congratulate them for sticking to those standards. I am disappointed that Aker is no longer a Bulldog but I am wrapped that my club has drawn a line in the sand and said NO MORE !!!

Rocco Jones
24-07-2010, 02:02 AM

I think there's a lot of truth in that. But i don't hold it agianst him. IMO its a big reason for all the confused boys we have in our a society as well

Totally agree with you Stefcep. I was (and should have) going to add that I wasn't having a go at him and it was actually about having sympathy for him.

AndrewP6
24-07-2010, 02:04 AM
I've read a lot of your posts over the last two days ... Some I agree with and some I vehermently oppose ...
Fair enough, that's what discussion is for! :)

1. The rules were laid out on the table for him by his employer ... Be them right or wrong, they were the rules ... He agreed to them ... His employer agreed to them ... His work colleagues agreed to them
2. Clean slate or not ... He broke said rules THREE times in six weeks ... Even after continous warnings
3. Aker's employer came to a very difficult conclusion that he could not be trusted to Not break a rule again.

Fine with all that, except for the continuous warnings (six weeks and more) - strong leadership would've stopped it long before (Eade said 18 months of behaviour issues) the thousandth warning (or before they signed him on again - they knew the risks) If they'd done this a year ago, I'd not be nearly as peeved.

Whether Aker liked Leading Teams' approach or not is not the issue ... He signed for the year knowing full well what the process was and the consequences for breaking the rules.
It's not about him liking it, my point was people seem in awe of this system, noting the success of teams like Geelong (who've got a lot more going for them than an effective leadership model). Point I was getting at was that it has flaws.

I am disappointed that Aker is no longer a Bulldog but I am wrapped that my club has drawn a line in the sand and said NO MORE !!!

No real argument with this, except that I wish they'd been stronger and drawn said line a lot sooner.

Scraggers
24-07-2010, 02:18 AM
Fine with all that, except for the continuous warnings (six weeks and more) - strong leadership would've stopped it long before (Eade said 18 months of behaviour issues) the thousandth warning (or before they signed him on again - they knew the risks) If they'd done this a year ago, I'd not be nearly as peeved.

No real argument with this, except that I wish they'd been stronger and drawn said line a lot sooner.

You are in the Education system (not sure if government school or not), you know how hard it is to sack a teacher ... Even when it is clear to all that they are not following Department Policy ... It has to follow due process.

Whatever system you choose (we use leading teams), due process must be seen to have been followed ... This is what our club has done. They have set policy, laid the ground rules, then followed due process ... Yes it took six weeks, but Aker had to be given every chance to right wrongs ... He chose not too ... Process followed ... And as far as I am concerned, end of story !!

dogman
24-07-2010, 02:28 AM
To me it comes down to what benefit did the club have sacking aker. None. They paid him out, got criticized from supporters and non supporters. So this to me means they didn't have a choice. If the the players didn't loose trust and respect as aker claims, and he is in our top 5 players in our team, as he also claims, I guarantee he wouldn't be sacked. He has to stand up as a man and claim responsibility for his actions.

He did some great things for the club, the last few years. But it's sad that he is stupid enough to through that respect away from our supporters for some short term gain from the media outlets.

AndrewP6
24-07-2010, 02:31 AM
You are in the Education system (not sure if government school or not), you know how hard it is to sack a teacher ... Even when it is clear to all that they are not following Department Policy ... It has to follow due process.

Whatever system you choose (we use leading teams), due process must be seen to have been followed ... This is what our club has done. They have set policy, laid the ground rules, then followed due process ... Yes it took six weeks, but Aker had to be given every chance to right wrongs ... He chose not too ... Process followed ... And as far as I am concerned, end of story !!

Yep, Govt school. If only we could go to our boss and indicate a lack of trust in colleagues, we'd get rid of a few! :) I understand the need to follow due process, but their signing of him for another year said to me that they were OK with his performance - not that they had concerns for 18 months as Eade said. They didn't necessarily have to try to sack him in the early instances, but in John Kennedy's words "do something!" - suspension maybe? Calling him into meetings obviously didn't work. When you do things repeatedly that don't work, do something different...

Anyhoo, it's late, I've had a few, and King of Queens is on. Boy my typing fingers are sore! Carn the Doggies!

wb_age
24-07-2010, 03:14 AM
Sorry for imposing, but the whole Akermanis sacking led me to the club website. After sifting through various Aker related links I ventured upon some intersting videos, Bulldogs cribs which I think is a great idea from the club and it's young hosts.

Next thing I stumbled across were the Hall of Fame videos, our own Bob Murphy embodying evrything we as a club stand for. Then Charlie's inspirational speech, full of fight and passion despite his age.

But what stood out for me the most was when he was questioned, which is your favourite player? His response was and is what all Bulldog supporters should consider before
hanging the club out to dry and threaten with the memberships.

It's the team that will be a success, not an individual.

immortalmike
24-07-2010, 03:28 AM
Yep, Govt school. If only we could go to our boss and indicate a lack of trust in colleagues, we'd get rid of a few! :) I understand the need to follow due process, but their signing of him for another year said to me that they were OK with his performance - not that they had concerns for 18 months as Eade said. They didn't necessarily have to try to sack him in the early instances, but in John Kennedy's words "do something!" - suspension maybe? Calling him into meetings obviously didn't work. When you do things repeatedly that don't work, do something different...

Anyhoo, it's late, I've had a few, and King of Queens is on. Boy my typing fingers are sore! Carn the Doggies!

Hang on wasn't he on suspension while doing some of these things. Punishment does not seem to work with Aker as it seems he thinks he's above the rules and is way too arrogant to understand how he could possibly be wrong.

Ghost Dog
24-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Sorry for imposing, but the whole Akermanis sacking led me to the club website. After sifting through various Aker related links I ventured upon some intersting videos, Bulldogs cribs which I think is a great idea from the club and it's young hosts.

Next thing I stumbled across were the Hall of Fame videos, our own Bob Murphy embodying evrything we as a club stand for. Then Charlie's inspirational speech, full of fight and passion despite his age.

But what stood out for me the most was when he was questioned, which is your favourite player? His response was and is what all Bulldog supporters should consider before
hanging the club out to dry and threaten with the memberships.

It's the team that will be a success, not an individual.

It sounds nice in theory. However, as Leigh Mathews pointed out earlier in the week, there have been great ' individuals' that didn't really care much about team ethic, but still kicked clubs into finals and won. Clubs have to learn to manage people like Aker. Nobody forced the club to recruit him and they knew what they were getting.

Dancin' Douggy
24-07-2010, 10:40 AM
All this talk about rules and processes and how Geelong or other teams have stronger leadership and etc etc is irrelevant just forget it all.

This is AKER we are talking about.
We have no idea if ANY type of leadership group or any club could handle him.

I think it's a case of 'give him enough rope..........'

He starts well but eventually people just seem to have a gutfull.

He lost the team at Brisbane. They had strong leadership I would have thought?
He lost the team at the Dogs who I believe have strong leadership.
Now he's in the public arena, support for him is already starting to slip.

A poll in the Age today is running at 49.8% support for the clubs decision.(28,675 votes)
Thats already a massive turn around in 3 days.

The more Aker blabs on, the more he unwittingly reveals his duplicity.
Now there is no 1 great sin, but as Leigh Matthews says its death by a thousand cuts.

Another thing. Aker says he was sacked for stuff he hasn't even written yet, but other people involved in the book say some of his current team mates don't come out looking too good.
(or words to that effect)

I'm pretty sad about the whole thing, but the more Aker blabs on, the more I think to myself,
no wonder they kicked you out.
His attack on Rohan Smith was pathetic.
Isn't Rohan allowed to say things in the media? Aker?
Smithy wasn't even attacking Aker.
All he said was 'it'll be sad if he's remembered for the sackings and not the great player he was."

By the way Jason, I will remember Rohan Smith.

Now piss off (only joking)

Ghost Dog
24-07-2010, 10:50 AM
All this talk about rules and processes and how Geelong or other teams have stronger leadership and etc etc is irrelevant just forget it all.

This is AKER we are talking about.
We have no idea if ANY type of leadership group or any club could handle him.

I think it's a case of 'give him enough rope..........'

He starts well but eventually people just seem to have a gutfull.

He lost the team at Brisbane. They had strong leadership I would have thought?
He lost the team at the Dogs who I believe have strong leadership.
Now he's in the public arena, support for him is already starting to slip.

A poll in the Age today is running at 49.8% support for the clubs decision.(28,675 votes)

The more Aker blabs on, the more he unwittingly reveals his duplicity.
Now there is no 1 great sin, but as Leigh Matthews says its death by a thousand cuts.

Another thing. Aker says he was sacked for stuff he hasn't even written yet, but other people involved in the book say some of his current team mates don't come out looking too good.
(or words to that effect)

I'm pretty sad about the whole thing, but the more Aker blabs on, the more I think to myself,
no wonder they kicked you out.
His attack on Rohan Smith was pathetic.
Isn't Rohan allowed to say things in the media? Aker?
Smithy wasn't even attacking Aker.
All he said was 'it'll be sad if he's remembered for the sackings and not the great player he was."

By the way Jason, I will remember Rohan Smith.

Now piss off (only joking)

Fair enough. Some good points. The Biggest fool in this whole affair is Sam Newman. If the Dogs win a premiership then he will be the one that cost Jason the opportunity to finish off his career. And Aker can only blame himself for choosing to rub shoulders with the likes of him.

KT31
24-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Won't take long before it will be up to 80%.
Not one for poles in the paper, as a small minority seem to ring in a dozen times each.
I wonder how many of the voters are members of their respective clubs.
Not sure but IMO the Doggies have the members vote (all be it not unanimous}.
Can we have one on Woof ?
That would be a poll that matters.

Twodogs
24-07-2010, 11:20 AM
I thought he was a mealy-mouthed, namby-pamby yachtsman before - my view hasn't changed. Sure, he's done an lot for our club's business affairs, but his appearance tonight was a waste of time. He got whacked, and deserved it.".

That's a disgraceful thing to say about one of our own! I'd hang my head in shame if I thought something like that. If I SAID something like that about a bloke who faced the media and took the bullets from the imbecile brigade on behalf of the club and did it so well I would be ashamed of myself. But then that's me-you can think what you like.

Call me naive, call me gullible, call me worse if you want, but at the end of that segment, I felt Aker to be the more believable, and the Club to have added NOTHING more to the information already presented

OK, you're naive, You're gullible and you've bought into the snivelling pathetic act that Aker and Sam put on fully. Do you remember what Sam said about one of our own not so long ago when he laid the boots into Susan Alberti. Still you choose who you want to believe.

Had a laugh did you? What exactly was funny about it? Was it Aker's lack of class or was it the denigration of a man who has saved our footy club from financial disaster and the had the guts to go on defend the club's decision against a bunch of idiotic bogan morons.

And you're laughing along with these morons? Good for you mate! Laugh until your sides hurt.

The Coon Dog
24-07-2010, 11:23 AM
That's a disgraceful thing to say about one of our own! I'd hang my head in shame if I thought something like that. If I SAID something like that about a bloke who faced the media and took the bullets from the imbecile brigade on behalf of the club and did it so well I would be ashamed of myself. But then that's me-you can think what you like.

OK, you're naive, You're gullible and you've bought into the snivelling pathetic act that Aker and Sam put on fully. Do you remember what Sam said about one of our own not so long ago when he laid the boots into Susan Alberti. Still you choose who you want to believe.

Had a laugh did you? What exactly was funny about it? Was it Aker's lack of class or was it the denigration of a man who has saved our footy club from financial disaster and the had the guts to go on defend the club's decision against a bunch of idiotic bogan morons.

Well said Twodogs! I dips me lid to you.

aker39
24-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Well said Twodogs! I dips me lid to you.

I am not reading another post in this thread, Twodogs has said everything that needs to be said.

KT31
24-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I am not reading another post in this thread, Twodogs has said everything that needs to be said.

Well said Twodogs.
Suggest this thread is done and dusted.

AndrewP6
24-07-2010, 02:36 PM

And you're laughing along with these morons? Good for you mate! Laugh until your sides hurt.

I remembered my own situation of being given the boot and wanting to say exactly that. I understood the reaction. I've already said Rose has done a great deal for us - and I don't think a bit of lip from a disgruntled ex-employee does anything to change that. I'm sure he'll survive, and his work will be remembered, as it should be.

Anyway, I'll do a collective quote from many here and say let's "Move on"

LostDoggy
24-07-2010, 03:20 PM

Agree, well said 2dogs.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Aker is never going to struggle for support in a society that forces the election debate to another time for a reality TV show.

You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

G-Mo77
24-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Great post Two Dogs.

anfo27
24-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Great post two dogs.

I thought Rose was great but thought Akers comment at the end was funny because i trully felt he said that tongue in cheek, i could be wrong though.