PDA

View Full Version : Cross - 150 games

bornadog
22-07-2010, 04:35 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/WB_CrossLeft_246a.jpg

Congratulations to Daniel Cross, one of the most consistent Bulldogs players over many years. Week in week out Cross plays his heart out for the club and rarely has put in a bad game. One of the hardest toughest players who consistently puts his body on the line. His training standards are at an elite level and a great role model for all the players.

Ozza
22-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Its hard not to love Crossy. Fanatical about his fitness, absolutely gives his all, terrific and courageous overhead - and a true bulldog.
Its was difficult to see how Cross would make it in his very very early days - we often joked that he is the midfielder that doesn't touch the footy (averaged 6.7 possies per game in his first 2 seasons/10 games) - and through hard work has turned hismelf into a ball magnet.

Deserves all the accolades that come his way. Good on you Crossy.

w3design
22-07-2010, 04:48 PM
A great guy who has just quietly got on with it and willed himself, despite some limitations, into becoming an elite player. I loved the article a while back where his mate Boydy talked about how he puts footies into cupboards at home so when he opens one up he can test his reflexes.

He is all about heart and courage. Congrats Daniel.

Let's hope that Crossy's great efforts are not forgotten in all the fuss about You Know Who. Cross is just about the anti-akermanis in every aspect of the game.

Ozza
22-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Don't know if anyone else remembers this - but when Crossy was emerging as a good player - he was on a Foxtel show that Clinton Grybas hosted (the name of the show escapes me - possibly White Line Fever) and you used to be able to ring in live and speak to the hosts and guests during the broadcast.

Anyway - the discussion had been about how Crossy was a bit of a Scott West clone, mimicing the way West played etc and a caller rang up saying that he disagreed Cross was a clone of anyone - congratulated Cross on becoming a genuine A grade midfielder who had got to that point by himself through an enormous amount of work and more talent that he got credit for.

The caller was Scott West.

craigsahibee
22-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Congratulations to Crossy. I'll stick my hand up and be the first to admit I gave him a hard time earlier in the year but his last 2 months have been great. Turned it around up at Manuka I reckon. Cheers

w3design
22-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Don't know if anyone else remembers this - but when Crossy was emerging as a good player - he was on a Foxtel show that Clinton Grybas hosted (the name of the show escapes me - possibly White Line Fever) and you used to be able to ring in live and speak to the hosts and guests during the broadcast.

Anyway - the discussion had been about how Crossy was a bit of a Scott West clone, mimicing the way West played etc and a caller rang up saying that he disagreed Cross was a clone of anyone - congratulated Cross on becoming a genuine A grade midfielder who had got to that point by himself through an enormous amount of work and more talent that he got credit for.

Great story.:)

Mofra
22-07-2010, 05:12 PM
If there was ever a player to prove that Ticker > Talent, Daniel Cross is it.
Forged an AFL career on pure guts. Deserves all the accolades he gets.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 05:37 PM
If there was ever a player to prove that Ticker > Talent, Daniel Cross is it.
Forged an AFL career on pure guts. Deserves all the accolades he gets.

What you said :D Congratulations to a great bulldog champion!

KT31
22-07-2010, 07:42 PM
All the best Crossy in his 150th.
Great guts and determination and always leading by example.

If it wasn't so grose when he retires the Doggie's Hall of Fame could put his ticker on display like Pharlaps is at the Museum.:D

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 07:54 PM
\Anyway - the discussion had been about how Crossy was a bit of a Scott West clone, mimicing the way West played etc and a caller rang up saying that he disagreed Cross was a clone of anyone - congratulated Cross on becoming a genuine A grade midfielder who had got to that point by himself through an enormous amount of work and more talent that he got credit for.

I remember that! Great moment.

Congrats to Crossy, he's been up there as one of my favourites since 2005, he's just so dedicated and dependable. You can just tell that giving up is not in his nature. Every time he goes for an overhead mark, often from an opposition kick, you can just tell he'll at least go close to marking it, he's terrific overhead. Hopefully we can get a win for him this weekend, but unfortunately this milestone has been somewhat overshadowed.

BulldogBelle
22-07-2010, 07:57 PM
One of the most courageous players ever. Able to read the play like no other. A very fair player. Always seems to know where his team-mates are for the lightening handpass. A worthy club champion.

He has improved his play even further this year with the suicide diving handpass that is his unique action. Also he has attacked more, having many fewer backward passes to safe positions.

A real hard worker and a thorough gentleman. I'd pick him first to be in the trenches with me.

Congratulations on your 150 and may there be many more.

SonofScray
22-07-2010, 07:58 PM
How good was that training montage during summer of Crossy set to Fort Minors song "Remember the Name" the guy is a machine.

chef
22-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Absolute gun, well done Crossy.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Congratulations Daniel,

I have framed on my wall his first playing jumper (No 38) that was handed to me from my Grandmother. I think he is a gun and pushes others to perform higher than what they believe they can.

After the week it been I'm glad we can end on a good news story and I hope the boys put the heart into this game as Cross has done over his career.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Champion bloke & well deserved, well done Crossy.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Doesn't get the credit or accolades just gets in there and does the head over the ball stuff! It's what makes him a great player.

The engine of our midfield, hope we can put everything behind us and get up for Crossy!

comrade
23-07-2010, 01:56 AM
The enduring image of Daniel Cross will always be his fanatical head-first attack on the pill. No compromise and reckless almost to the point of self harm.

A champion of our Club. The contrast between his achievement and the circus we've endured this week could not be greater.

Ghost Dog
23-07-2010, 02:12 AM
He does quite well with injuries considering where he puts his scone. A true warrior.

Chicago1
23-07-2010, 11:15 AM
I hope you don't mind me posting what I wrote on that other site:

I had the great pleasure of speaking to Crossy a few times during my visit. He was interested in our Chicago sport teams, especially the Bears and the Bulls. I don't really follow either, so he probably knew more about them than I did. On my last visit to training, as Crossy was leaving the ground, he waved to me to come over and have a chat. He wasn't sure when I was leaving and wanted to say goodbye. What a great bloke. I officially declared him my favourite player for 2010 after that. :D

Congratulations Daniel Cross on 150 games for our club. Hopefully I'll see you play your 300th.

My avatar on an American TV site: http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q136/westernbulldogs1/crossy.gif

KT31
23-07-2010, 03:10 PM
He does quite well with injuries considering where he puts his scone. A true warrior.

Touch wood.:D

Remi Moses
23-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Terrific achievement I love the fact that this guy leaves nothing on the table and is humble and shows dignity . Unlike the self absorbed classless twat that got the arse

mighty_west
23-07-2010, 04:32 PM
THE most courageous players to don the tri-colours in all my time of watching the 'Scray.....late 70's to now.

Well done Crossy.

jazzadogs
23-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Well done Crossy, not to sound repetitive but his attack on the ball is something that many young footballers/footballers of all ages can learn from.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Congrats Crossy! amazing achievement from where he came from. No need to mention his courage as everyone else has well and truely covered that. I've been really impressed in Crossy's offensive game this year. He is starting to get in dangerous positions in the middle of the ground and using the ball really well.

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 07:15 PM
One hundred and fifty games for Daniel Cross,
An achievement that many on here find tops.
That is a fact I know, is certainly true,
For I be one of those many, yes me too.

Started off in an unusual fashion,
Leather poisoning he wasn't catching.
Worked hard to earn his reputation,
As an all round footballing sensation.

Smart as a fox and strong as a truck,
Handballing hero to third man in the ruck.
Through guts and grit he paved the way,
To be the champion that he is today.

Many more be to Daniel, I had the great fortune to be at his table at the season launch. Great bloke with humility and humour to boot!:D:D:D:D:D

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Well done to Cross for getting to 150 games - he is the heart and soul of the club. Puts his body on the line. Not the most skilled, but gutsy as hell.

BulldogBelle
23-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Congrats to Crossy on his 150th game - my absolute favourite player in our team, always give his all, his courage knows no bounds. :)

LostDoggy
23-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Awesome, fearless player, fkn bulldong thru and thru.

<Beat chest with fist>

Flamethrower
23-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Congratulations Crossy. Well deserved!!!!!

Living proof that it doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you work your tail off and leave it all out on the field every week, you can become a great player and achieve anything you set your mind to.

Jasper
24-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Congrats to Daniel Cross, best wishes to a bloke with one of the biggest hearts in the game, and who has made the absolute most of his talent.

AndrewP6
24-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Well done Crossy!!!

DOG GOD
24-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Congratulations Crossy, hope the boys can pull off a great win for u to celebrate.

Pickenitup
24-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Good articleof Crossy in the Footy record and on cover too make sure you get it

anfo27
24-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Well done Daniel Cross, a player I admire more than any.

Can someone with a bit more knowledge of the club answer this question. Why doesn't Daniel get talked up as a potential captain?
He is in the leadership group, talks well from the inteviews I have seen, leads by example on and off the field and his effort & courage is always there. Thats exactly what I want fom a captain.

Love this bloke and he epitomises what footy is about.

EasternWest
24-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Has responded beautifully to sedat writing him off:) Well done Crossy.

cinder
24-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Go Crossy! Hope we have a win for you mate.

bornadog
25-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Another solid game from Cross today.

LostDoggy
25-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Well done on playing 150 games Daniel. Another very good game too.

stefoid
25-07-2010, 10:50 PM
what the hell rhymes with 'Albury'?

One hundred and fifty games for Daniel Cross,
An achievement that many on here find tops.
That is a fact I know, is certainly true,
For I be one of those many, yes me too.

Started off in an unusual fashion,
Leather poisoning he wasn't catching.
Worked hard to earn his reputation,
As an all round footballing sensation.

Smart as a fox and strong as a truck,
Handballing hero to third man in the ruck.
Through guts and grit he paved the way,
To be the champion that he is today.

Many more be to Daniel, I had the great fortune to be at his table at the season launch. Great bloke with humility and humour to boot!:D:D:D:D:D

w3design
25-07-2010, 11:15 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs/the-citizen-footballer-20100724-10pvy.html