PDA

View Full Version : Sentiment in Football

Hotdog60
24-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I thought I would throw this thought out there for discussion.

With Hahn and Eagleton possibly playing in their last year for the dogs and with both struggling to keep in the side, do we have the game for them to play in as a send off game.

With the games left, I see Essendon as the only one in round 22 but all the games leading up to the finals are games we should have everyone playing well.

Of course both players haven't said that have finished their AFL careers, but does anyone see them playing on next year. Unless they are contracted to do so.

Eagleton may get a go in the finals but as other posters have said, he drops away in high pressure games.

This is not to bag these players who have been good servants to the club, but the pace of the game has passed them by.

So the question is, if this is their last season with the club can we afford to give them a send off?

The Coon Dog
24-07-2010, 06:54 PM
No!

You do it when you can't make the finals & you're trying out young kids, but coming into the finals, definitely not.

Hotdog60
24-07-2010, 07:01 PM
That would be my view also, you need everyone firing going into the finals.

The Coon Dog
24-07-2010, 07:09 PM
That would be my view also, you need everyone firing going into the finals.

Yup, had no problems when it was Libba's last game or Crofty & Garlo's.

Hotdog60
24-07-2010, 07:15 PM
The only sentiment this year will be for Johnno to play in a GF and to be BOG, so he can be chaired off holding the silverware.:D

Scorlibo
24-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Hahn is injured at the moment, he hasn't struggled at all to stay in the team, and on that basis he will probably play on.

LostDoggy
24-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I reckon Hahn would go on next season and try real hard to get back in the team.

On this years form he will struggle but may be due in part to his being hit by the Hall train.

Remi Moses
24-07-2010, 11:25 PM
With the season to play for send off games won't be happening.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-07-2010, 08:11 PM
We have seen that the club is about the "team" and not individuals, so with the window of opportunity open no they will not play with form and just put them in a car at half time.

For me the question would be is Jonno going to go around next year?

He may announce it in the lead up to the finals as a piece of inspiration for the boys to go all the way.

If we lost Aker, Eagle, Mitch and Jonno this year, Huddo & Hall the year after. do we have the list to maintain a shot at the GF or are we just a top 8 side again?

Hotdog60
25-07-2010, 08:15 PM
We have seen that the club is about the "team" and not individuals, so with the window of opportunity open no they will not play with form and just put them in a car at half time.

He may announce it in the lead up to the finals as a piece of inspiration for the boys to go all the way.

If we lost Aker, Eagle, Mitch and Jonno this year, Huddo & Hall the year after. do we have the list to maintain a shot at the GF or are we just a top 8 side again?

My thoughts would be that if we get to the GF, Brad will most likely announce that it will be his last game. I wonder if the club would offer him another year if he wanted it, just on how this year has gone.

Mantis
25-07-2010, 08:23 PM

On what we have seen this year I would think the question is will Johnson get thru this year?

Bumper Bulldogs
25-07-2010, 08:28 PM
My thoughts would be that if we get to the GF, Brad will most likely announce that it will be his last game. I wonder if the club would offer him another year if he wanted it, just on how this year has gone.

I think if he wants another year he will get it as he has given all to the club. After West would they do that to a second champion?

Bumper Bulldogs
25-07-2010, 08:30 PM
On what we have seen this year I would think the question is will Johnson get thru this year?

Surly he was moving well today but just looked out of touch, if he stays on the park each week he should just find a bit more touch. That could be very dangerous coming into September.

Also "touch wood" he has to be over all his bad luck, and I wonder how much that golf cart incident put him back.

AndrewP6
25-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Surely not, the passage of time is working against him.

I think 2011 and the next couple of seasons will be very tough on us.

Mantis
25-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Surly he was moving well today but just looked out of touch, if he stays on the park each week he should just find a bit more touch. That could be very dangerous coming into September.

Also "touch wood" he has to be over all his bad luck, and I wonder how much that golf cart incident put him back.

You were surely watching a different game to me (and others).

Johnno is struggling.... I hope he can pick it up.

boydogs
25-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Surely not, the passage of time is working against him.

Agreed

Disagree - 3 of those 4 listed as leaving this year didn't play today, and yet Everitt, Hill and Minson still missed out. Fears of a mass departure hurting us next year I think are overstating the contribution our final year players have made this season.

Liam Jones and Jordan Roughead have been very impressive to slot in for Hudson and Hall in 2012

bornadog
25-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Yes struggled, but I would still have him in. Did a couple of nice things, plus the opposition usually put a good player on him.

LostDoggy
25-07-2010, 09:19 PM

Second half was a pass for me after terrible first half where he looked like an old man. It was the only blemish on what I thought was our best half of football I have ever seen from the dogs ... even better than the Hawthorn game last year

chef
25-07-2010, 09:38 PM

I disagree, our list is looking very healthy for the future(plus Libba and Wallis in this years draft)

We can't be giving guys goodbye games when we have a finals series coming up and they could be needed if injuries happen.

AndrewP6
25-07-2010, 09:39 PM
I disagree, our list is looking very healthy for the future(plus Libba and Wallis in this years draft)

We can't be giving guys goodbye games when we have a finals series coming up and they could be needed if injuries happen.

This I agree with, I don't think we're in a position to give games away.

Rocco Jones
25-07-2010, 09:49 PM

Why? The players who are retiring/close to retiring haven't provided us with much at all this season, so what are we going to lose?

Aker is gone and Mitch, Eagle and Johnno all look very close to the end but neither of them have provided us with much value at all this season.

Hall and Hudson are two old guys who have really provided us with value. Hudson is having a career best season and I believe his style isn't greatly reliant on aspects that decline sharply with old age. We will probably lose a bit from Hall from that is coming off a pretty high base this season.

On the flipside we have guys like Roughead, Grant, Jones, Ward and Wood who all look like they will be valuable members of the team.

AndrewP6
25-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Why? The players who are retiring/close to retiring haven't provided us with much at all this season, so what are we going to lose?

Aker is gone and Mitch, Eagle and Johnno all look very close to the end but neither of them have provided us with much value at all this season.

Hall and Hudson are two old guys who have really provided us with value. Hudson is having a career best season and I believe his style isn't greatly reliant on aspects that decline sharply with old age. We will probably lose a bit from Hall from that is coming off a pretty high base this season.

On the flipside we have guys like Roughead, Grant, Jones, Ward and Wood who all look like they will be valuable members of the team.

Maybe it's a lack of Willi-watching (that kind of sounded naughty!), I just think it takes time, even with the diminished output from those you mentioned, to have players step in and maintain the standard.

LostDoggy
25-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I think the immediate and medium term future is very bright. Look at the finds this year ... Wood, Roughhead, Grant and Moles. In waiting are Everitt, Minson and Hill. Still coming through the seconds are Jones, Howard, Panos, Boumann and a few others.

LostDoggy
25-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Johno will be our biggest loss but Boyd will be an awesome captain. Top
8 if not top 4 again next year

immortalmike
26-07-2010, 03:09 AM

I must have been watching a different game to you as I made a special effort today to keep my eye on Johnno all game, and from my perspective he looked to be moving better than he has all year and he was getting good separation from his opponent on the lead (while providing multiple leads). I think today he may have been putting a bit too much pressure on himself and thus he may have been trying a little too hard (he ran a hell of a lot, Cooney mentioned as much post game btw) to have an impact (I think Gia's game was similar) after a big week in the media. Also maybe it's a bit of wishful thinking on my part but at the end of the game Johnno's limp seemed less pronounced.

BulldogBelle
26-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Some of you guys must be blind. Brad Johnson was an embarrassment. Here is a summary of his first quarter play.
Against Fremantle:
Johnson's touches.
Q1.
Mucked up a contested possession on a pass from Grant.
Dropped an easy overhead mark from a pass from Griffen.
Ran under the ball after a pass from Harbrow and his opponent took it away.
Missed a simple contested mark after a pass from Higgins.
Missed a simple contested mark after a pass from Higgins from a centre break
Grabbed a handball from the top of the pack but had it smothered.
After a handpass from Higgins, under medium pressure he kicks the ball off the ground at the goals and misses miserably.
Finally, gets a handpass from Higgins and correctly handpasses to Griffin who goals.
Then he gets a pass from Gilby in the centre of the ground and does a shocking kick to turn it over, and it costs a goal.

He goes into every game already injured. He no longer has any real pace. In that first quarter I saw every player running and chasing, but not Johnson, I never saw him chase once. He only started to come good half way during the second quarter, (some time after he gave that 50 metre penalty away) when the game was all over.

Similar situation to Darwin and previous matches.

Johnson no longer runs though the midfield, he has lost his pace and balance. He is even poor at keeping the ball in the forward zone buy tackling. He just concentrates on the play that he thinks he can do best.

He is just too old and way way past his prime. If he costs me a premiership I'll be very upset. He should retire NOW.

FrediKanoute
26-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Some of you guys must be blind. Brad Johnson was an embarrassment. Here is a summary of his first quarter play.
Against Fremantle:
Johnson's touches.
Q1.
Mucked up a contested possession on a pass from Grant.
Dropped an easy overhead mark from a pass from Griffen.
Ran under the ball after a pass from Harbrow and his opponent took it away.
Missed a simple contested mark after a pass from Higgins.
Missed a simple contested mark after a pass from Higgins from a centre break
Grabbed a handball from the top of the pack but had it smothered.
After a handpass from Higgins, under medium pressure he kicks the ball off the ground at the goals and misses miserably.
Finally, gets a handpass from Higgins and correctly handpasses to Griffin who goals.
Then he gets a pass from Gilby in the centre of the ground and does a shocking kick to turn it over, and it costs a goal.

He goes into every game already injured. He no longer has any real pace. In that first quarter I saw every player running and chasing, but not Johnson, I never saw him chase once. He only started to come good half way during the second quarter, (some time after he gave that 50 metre penalty away) when the game was all over.

Similar situation to Darwin and previous matches.

Johnson no longer runs though the midfield, he has lost his pace and balance. He is even poor at keeping the ball in the forward zone buy tackling. He just concentrates on the play that he thinks he can do best.

He is just too old and way way past his prime. If he costs me a premiership I'll be very upset. He should retire NOW.

I must be a sentimental sod because if there is one bloke in the side who will be first picked should we make a grand final it is Brad Johnson.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 08:55 AM
I must have been watching a different game to you as I made a special effort today to keep my eye on Johnno all game, and from my perspective he looked to be moving better than he has all year and he was getting good separation from his opponent on the lead (while providing multiple leads). I think today he may have been putting a bit too much pressure on himself and thus he may have been trying a little too hard (he ran a hell of a lot, Cooney mentioned as much post game btw) to have an impact (I think Gia's game was similar) after a big week in the media. Also maybe it's a bit of wishful thinking on my part but at the end of the game Johnno's limp seemed less pronounced.

My points of difference would be his ability to stay in the contest and his defensive work.

In the first half he had a number of (like 5) one on one battles and went to ground in each of the contests and the opposition took the ball away - that's not good enough. He must stay on his feet and place defensive pressure on the opposition.

Even in the 2nd half when the sting was out of the game he was unable to chase as hard as he should. Josh Hill gets critcised by all and sundry for his inability to compete, but Johnno's performance was worse than anything Josh dishes out against poor opposition.

On that performance Johnno would be a liability against quality teams. He has been a wonderful player and I hope he can turn it around.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Agree with your assessment of Brad Johnson. The Club would be foolish in allowing him to go on in 2011. The same should happen with both Hahn and Eagleton. Liam Jones becomes an ideal replacement for Mitch Hahn. The longer you hang onto these veterans the more likely you are to play them. The inclusions of Grant, Wood and now Roughead has added some vital youth and enthusiasm into the playing group and we need to continue to go down that path.

Desipura
26-07-2010, 10:55 AM
In the first half he had a number of (like 5) one on one battles and went to ground in each of the contests and the opposition took the ball away - that's not good enough. He must stay on his feet and place defensive pressure on the opposition.

I totally agree with the above. I made the call whenever he went to ground yesterday. Older players do struggle to keep their feet in a one on one contest, once used to be strength of his.

Ozza
26-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a great deal of faith in Johnno. His second half was good yesterday after obviously battling early. He showed good intensity and we play better football when he is out there. He gets himself to the right spots, and in the second half he would have gained a bit more confidence. I think he is capable of still building to some good footy.

I won't be writing him off anytime soon.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I have a great deal of faith in Johnno. His second half was good yesterday after obviously battling early. He showed good intensity and we play better football when he is out there. He gets himself to the right spots, and in the second half he would have gained a bit more confidence. I think he is capable of still building to some good footy.

I won't be writing him off anytime soon.

Would you be happy to take him into a final on what he has produced thus far or would you need to see an improvement in his form?

Ozza
26-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I honestly would be happy to take him into the finals.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I honestly would be happy to take him into the finals.

On current form I don't think that forward set-up we had yesterday will win us 3 finals.

Interesting times ahead.

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 02:21 PM
After watching the replay last night Johnnos game wasnt as bad as I thought watching it live. He was ok in the second half and his kicking apart from the obvious blooper was good. Give him time to get his touch back and I think he will worth his spot in the side. Remember he is a leader and we lack leadership i.e hawthorn game. Never Never write off a champion

immortalmike
26-07-2010, 03:02 PM
My points of difference would be his ability to stay in the contest and his defensive work.

Even in the 2nd half when the sting was out of the game he was unable to chase as hard as he should. Josh Hill gets critcised by all and sundry for his inability to compete, but Johnno's performance was worse than anything Josh dishes out against poor opposition.

On that performance Johnno would be a liability against quality teams. He has been a wonderful player and I hope he can turn it around.

That's a fair point with the keeping his feet in the contest. Completely agree on that. It was frustrating the hell out of meyesterday especially in the first half .
I disagree with him not chasing hard I think he chased as hard as anyone in our forward half (apart from Grant), but his either tackles didn't stick or the man he was chasing offloaded before he was tackled.

I also agree that Johnno has to work on his performance and needs to lift, I just don't think he's coming from as far back as you do. If I was Rocket I'd be prepared to give him the rest of the regular season before I'd entertain dropping him. Hopefully he'll come good.