PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers, Guns and Money - R17

GVGjr
25-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Give us your thoughts on today's game

Spoiler = A (One) player that did not quite measure up to expectations and the reasons why?
Guns = 3 players that stood out on the day and the reasons why?
Money = Someone who's skills stood out in the game? This can be one particular passage of play.

Mantis
25-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Spoiler: Brad Johnson - fumbled, went to ground too often and his disposal was pretty poor. Looked out of place and needs to lift. (Sorry for shooting Bambi)

Guns: Cooney & Griffen got us going and were terrific early. Crossy set the example as always.

Money: Picko's goal in the last 1/4. Held his feet in the contest (which a few of his team-mates don't do), shrugged a couple of tackles and snapped a super goal. Becoming a vital cog in our team.

comrade
Spoiler: Johnno looked very old today. Gia and Gilbee were both uncharacteristically fumbly with the ball at times.

Guns: Cooney was immense, as was Griffen early. Kudos to our double headed ruck monster HudHead for nullifying Sandilands.

Money: Has to be Picken's goal. Geez, I love that guy.

EDIT: Damn, I basically copied Mantis.

GVGjr
Spoiler
Johnson's first half. Dropped and easy mark and generally fumbled his way around.

Guns
Harbrow (called the vacum by a mate for his ability to keep cleaning up) for his run and decisive play
Griffen and Cooney for their explosive play

Money
Griffen's long run - just sensational

jazzadogs
25-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Spoilers - struggle for this one...Cal Ward is probably my favourite player but he's still not playing his best footy. Hopefully just a bit underdone still, because his hardness is something that we do benefit from as a team.

Guns - Griffen: run and carry, with great finishing. Awesome.
Picken: shut down Stephen Hill and popped up for a couple of goals.
Wood: great runs through the middle, some good kicks and a couple of nice marks/attempts.

Money - a couple of Griff's goals could probably go in this section, but I'll go with Picken's snap, after burrowing for the ball and dancing around a couple. Great goal.

G-Mo77
25-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Spoiler - As mentioned Johnno's first half. He picked it up in the second half though

Guns - Do I have to only pick 3.

- Cross was his usual best all day.
- Cooney's work in close was fantastic
- Murphy's work off the half back line.

Can I mention Griff?

Money - Picken's goal. Bloody fantatsic. Liam is starting to become one of our most valuable and would probably be my personal fav. I've been wanting to get a number on the back of my jumper and I think I'll finally go with #42.

The Doctor
25-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Spoiler - Nothing

Guns - Willi beats top 4 aspirant by 12 goals

Money - Dogs beat fellow top 4 aspirant by 14 goals.

This weekends results say a lot about the character of the club. A massive test for all concerned with the eyes of the football world upon us to see our response. We answered the best possible way and that is on the scoreboard.

Folks. It doesn't get much better than that.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Spoiler: Brad Johnson - fumbled, went to ground too often and his disposal was pretty poor. Looked out of place and needs to lift. (Sorry for shooting Bambi)

Guns: Cooney & Griffen got us going and were terrific early. Crossy set the example as always.

Money: Picko's goal in the last 1/4. Held his feet in the contest (which a few of his team-mates don't do), shrugged a couple of tackles and snapped a super goal. Becoming a vital cog in our team.

Couldn't have put this any better than Mantis.... Well the only advise would be that Picken "Becoming a vital cog" It is not by chance that we have improved and starting winning games since his return from injury.

AndrewP6
25-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Spoiler = Johnno - doing some good things, but fumbling, went to ground too much - looking old. Better in the 2nd half.
Guns = Griffen - Running,carrying and slotting the goals. Coons - moving as well as ever, electric player. Wood - shows poise, takes them on, one to watch.
Money = Tempting to go for Slim's goal, but I'm going to go with GVG and say Griff's long run.

bornadog
25-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Spoiler - some silly handballing at times that don't hit players on the chest.

Guns - Cooney, racking up 36 possessions as well as over 14 contested, he is just brilliant. Griffen, explosive power and great long kicking. Harbrow, wow must keep this kid.

Money - Pickens two goals.

Greystache
25-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Spoiler

Higgins- still looks average, no chasing or tackling pressure, and field kicking ordinary

Guns

Griffens first half and first quarter in particular was outstanding.
Picken- just inspiring, 100% commitment all the time.
Moles- thought he was terrific in the things he did today.

Money

Has to be Hall's tap to Johnson in the goal square for a goal.

Mantis
25-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Spoiler

Higgins- still looks average, no chasing or tackling pressure, and field kick ordinary

How bad was his left foot kicking in particular, just no depth what-so-ever.

LostDoggy
25-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Spoiler: the game ended
Guns: wood, griff, the team
Money: Pickens tackle - text book, his goals - unbelievable, hope he gets a brownlow vote such a courageous player

Greystache
25-07-2010, 10:58 PM
How bad was his left foot kicking in particular, just no depth what-so-ever.

Watching today he must have a groin issue, you could almost see at times his reluctance to kick the ball hard.

Sedat
25-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Spoiler - Nothing

Guns - Willi beats top 4 aspirant by 12 goals

Money - Dogs beat fellow top 4 aspirant by 14 goals.

This weekends results say a lot about the character of the club. A massive test for all concerned with the eyes of the football world upon us to see our response. We answered the best possible way and that is on the scoreboard.

Folks. It doesn't get much better than that.
Agree with all of this except the spoiler - there was only one player on our list who didn't measure up to the team requirements, and he is welcome to tell those 20 people that listen to MTR tomorrow morning all about how he is still a top 5 player in our team :rolleyes:. Meanwhile I will continue to enjoy the rapid development of Wood and Grant.

Just an outstanding, committed, classy, gritty, sacrificial, ruthless performance by the team today. Each player to a man should be proud of how they represented the jumper. One of my most enjoyable days at the footy.

Ozza
26-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Spoiler - my cracking hangover/headache yesterday.

Guns - Easton Wood - really becoming a player, love his pace and athleticism.
Liam Picken - tagged Hill out of the game, and had an impact himself with 2 goals and some good possesions. So ferocious at the contest.
Ryan Griffen - love his run and carry and impact on the scoreboard!

Money - First quarter Gia is outnumbered and brings the ball to ground to Picko's advantage and shepherds enough for Picko to dribble through a goal. It was an example of how we did the basics really well all day. I've never seen a bulldogs side shepherd/block, tackle and halve or win contests that well.

Ozza
26-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Agree with all of this except the spoiler - there was only one player on our list who didn't measure up to the team requirements, and he is welcome to tell those 20 people that listen to MTR tomorrow morning all about how he is still a top 5 player in our team :rolleyes:. Meanwhile I will continue to enjoy the rapid development of Wood and Grant.

Just an outstanding, committed, classy, gritty, sacrificial, ruthless performance by the team today. Each player to a man should be proud of how they represented the jumper. One of my most enjoyable days at the footy.

Brilliantly said Sedat. Was a good contribution from all 22. Even after he had a bad first half, Johnson stuck to his guns, kept getting to the right spots and ended up giving a good contribution in the second half being involved in some scores and finding some form a bit.

EasternWest
26-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Spoiler - Some debate still remains over whether it was Hargrave or Lake between a friend of mine and myself (I say Hargrave, he says Lake), but one of those two handballed directly to a Freo opponent in the first qtr for a goal.

The ball running through Morris' legs in the 4th was a howler, but I reckon that was bad luck more than anything else. 99/100 I would say he did the right thing by being in front and putting his body behind it.

Guns - Where to start? I could speak for a while about the good things individuals did yesterday, but I can't go past the demolition job Hudson did on Sandilands yesterday.

Money - Both of Picken's goals. How did this kid not get selected?

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Spoiler - Some debate still remains over whether it was Hargrave or Lake between a friend of mine and myself (I say Hargrave, he says Lake), but one of those two handballed directly to a Freo opponent in the first qtr for a goal.

It was Hargrave.

EasternWest
26-07-2010, 11:42 AM
It was Hargrave.

I thought so too, but we couldn't even tell by the replay. It became a running joke between us throughout the day. If I can curry enough support here, I'll hit him with it. Thanks Sophie!

Hotdog60
26-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Spoiler - my cracking hangover/headache yesterday.

Guns - Easton Wood - really becoming a player, love his pace and athleticism.
Liam Picken - tagged Hill out of the game, and had an impact himself with 2 goals and some good possesions. So ferocious at the contest.
Ryan Griffen - love his run and carry and impact on the scoreboard!

Money - First quarter Gia is outnumbered and brings the ball to ground to Picko's advantage and shepherds enough for Picko to dribble through a goal. It was an example of how we did the basics really well all day. I've never seen a bulldogs side shepherd/block, tackle and halve or win contests that well.

This highlighted bit is something that the dogs haven't done well for a long time. Great to see everone working for each other.

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 10:27 PM

Mantis - I've gotta go with you on this - especially Picken's goal in the last quarter - the ultimate reward for such G & D - had me leaping off my seat and high-fiving the guy who sits next to me! (I'm easily excited :o)

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Spoiler - Hargrave's handball to the opposition. Collingwood move the ball very quickly and accurately by hand. We do but some do it without having the instant awareness of where to put it. Hargrave seems one such player.

Guns - Easton Wood's fierce desire for the contest for one so young in the game

Money - Picken's goal. Such determination and balance

immortalmike
27-07-2010, 02:35 AM
I thought so too, but we couldn't even tell by the replay. It became a running joke between us throughout the day. If I can curry enough support here, I'll hit him with it. Thanks Sophie!

Yeah it was Shaggy.