PDA

View Full Version : Another Aker thread.

Dancin' Douggy
25-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Okay this is not Aker bashing but it's a point I'd like to make that won't get swallowed up in another thread.

A lot of other supporters, from within and without,
commenting on the sacking of Aker,
talk about us losing the one man who could get us over the line in a preliminary final or a grand final.
And the truth is, he is that type of player.

BUT...........

He WAS there for the last two preliminary finals. Both games were agonisingly winnable.
And we lost them both.
I'm not saying it was Akers fault we didn't win, not at all.
I'm just saying he's not this perfect secret weapon that we have stupidly tossed aside.
He's not the silver bullet.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Interesting...... But we have Hall who I think would be a better match winner than Aker.

We have enough young guys who will run their guts out and I'm not sure Aker will do this for us come September. Yes he would try his guts out to finish the work of others but he just hasn't worked hrd enough this year.

One would have thought that having Hall coming out of the square as a little guy you would be licking your chops to get to the fall of the ball.

chef
25-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Okay this is not Aker bashing but it's a point I'd like to make that won't get swallowed up in another thread.

A lot of other supporters, from within and without,
commenting on the sacking of Aker,
talk about us losing the one man who could get us over the line in a preliminary final or a grand final.
And the truth is, he is that type of player.
BUT...........

He WAS there for the last two preliminary finals. Both games were agonisingly winnable.
And we lost them both.
I'm not saying it was Akers fault we didn't win, not at all.
I'm just saying he's not this perfect secret weapon that we have stupidly tossed aside.
He's not the silver bullet.

I don't agree, i think he was a number of years ago but not now.

AndrewP6
25-07-2010, 08:30 PM
us losing the one man who could get us over the line in a preliminary final or a grand final.

Whilst he certainly wasn't "the one", the thought sticking in my mind was this (the bold bit)...no, he hadn't done it this year, but I can't help but think "What if.." Apart from Baz, no one else has made me think that this year. Hope they prove me wrong. If one of them can, I'd be thrilled.

Rocco Jones
25-07-2010, 08:41 PM
I have a theory on what Aker offered us. His first and last years were pretty ordinary so I will be kind to him and focus on the 2nd and 3rd years.

Out of the 6 finals he played for us, I think Aker only had one 'good' one (Geelong QF 2009). He was a contributor in a couple and really struggled in a couple.

I actually believe Aker offered us most when sides around 5-10th challenged us, being the one to break their backs.