PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 and finals selections

Rance Fan
25-07-2010, 11:25 PM
So we're in the top 4. The big questions is will we manage to stay there?
Freo looks to have a fairly easy run home, and the Hawks are coming home strong.
We play Adelaide away and Geelong...two tough games

Finish 4th we may play Collingwood 1st up....id be happy with that!

If we play like today we will be in with a shot to go all the way!

So realistically looking at it all where do you think we will finish at the end of season?

Also do you see any room for Eagleton/Everitt/Hahn/Minson or Roughhead etc.. in the side come finals time?

lemmon
25-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry to be a pain but where can in find the freo run home?

The Coon Dog
25-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Have a crack at the ladder predictor:

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/bailey%20ladder%20predictor/tabid/13046/default.aspx)

I had us finishing 4th.

Rance Fan
25-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Sorry to be a pain but where can in find the freo run home?

I just went to afl.com.au

Topdog
25-07-2010, 11:39 PM
www.finalsiren.com is good.

boydogs
25-07-2010, 11:58 PM

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/bailey%20ladder%20predictor/tabid/13046/default.aspx)

I had us finishing 4th.

I had us at 4th as well, with us losing to Geelong but Freo losing to Hawthorn in Tassie
I had the Hawks at 6th with 14.5 wins, Carlton 7th with 11 then Sydney 8th with 9 :eek:

I had Geelong finishing top, with Collingwood dropping games to Geelong and Hawthorn, meaning we would need to beat the reigning premiers in week 1 of the finals for the week off

Re. the side at finals time - one of Roughead or Minson needs to be there, the rest we are probably OK without, but we do need to start considering giving guys we will be looking to select in the finals a consistent run of games

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 01:45 AM
I think the side today was perfect. With either minson or roughead the only difficult choice to make. Hahn, eagle and everitt as replacements for injuries/match up changes

Ozza
26-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Adelaide losing yesterday is probably a good thing. Lose another game and their finals hopes may be well and truly snuffed out. I know we control our own destiny and should still beat them when we fly over in a few weeks - but its always helpful to have the opposition not desperately trying to make the top 8. My preference is that they have nothing to play for.

Dazza
26-07-2010, 12:41 PM
It might have just been the win but I really liked our team this week.

bornadog
26-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Hahn may be needed for the finals. We need his toughness. Not sure how Grant will stand up to finals footy.

We can't afford to drop more than one game.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Hahn may be needed for the finals. We need his toughness. Not sure how Grant will stand up to finals footy.

As a counter I will say with our current forward set-up Hahn will be a liability in the finals and Grant will be our most important forward.

mighty_west
26-07-2010, 02:35 PM
hahn may be needed for the finals. We need his toughness. Not sure how Grant will stand up to finals footy.

We can't afford to drop more than one game.

Will Mitch's body be right though? He has looked a shell of himself all season, plus Gia seems to be playing his role as more of a defending forward, but doing a better job, Grant could really be an X-factor come finals, and quite hard to match up on, which also allows Murph to play down back if required.

strebla
26-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I find it hard to believe that people think Hahn offers more than Grant i love this guys pace and his work rate is huge Mitch has been a great servant of our club but i think he will be spending a lot of time at Willi when he comes back

Ozza
26-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I much prefer Grant to Hahn on the forward line. Hahn has been dreadful this year, is far too slow and hasn't really been doing any bullocking up forward to justify his position. Mitch has been a solid contributor to the football club in times when we lacked big forwards, but I can't see any place for him now.

Go_Dogs
26-07-2010, 04:33 PM

I had us finishing 4th.

I just had a crack with this, and have us finishing 5th, half a game behind Hawthorn.

I have:

Collingwood
Geelong
St Kilda
Hawthorn
Bulldogs
Fremantle
Carlton
Adelaide

With WCE taking the wooden spoon and Port rising to 11th! (So I'm probably miles off)

We're really going to need to win one of the Adelaide or Geelong games (which we can) to secure a Top 4 spot, or hope that Hawthorn/Freo can stuff it up for themselves, IMHO.

Based on the performance yesterday, we should be able to win one or both of those games and get the double chance.

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 04:41 PM
I think we will beat Geelong like we have in the past playing them a few weeks out of the finals and them resting players

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 10:30 AM
So we're in the top 4. The big questions is will we manage to stay there?
Freo looks to have a fairly easy run home, and the Hawks are coming home strong.
We play Adelaide away and Geelong...two tough games

Finish 4th we may play Collingwood 1st up....id be happy with that!

If we play like today we will be in with a shot to go all the way!

So realistically looking at it all where do you think we will finish at the end of season?

Also do you see any room for Eagleton/Everitt/Hahn/Minson or Roughhead etc.. in the side come finals time?

We should finish 4th, and I really hope Collingwood finish 1st, I really cant see the Pies winning the flag it would be a massive effort if they did. Their finals start in Round 22 and I would be extremely peeved if we couldnt beat them after the Hawks beat them up in the last round. I would expect the Pies to beat the Hawks but it is the following week after playing them when it hits home and they would be at their weakest and thats when we will strike at the heart of the Infidel! ;)

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 01:22 AM
I just had a crack with this, and have us finishing 5th, half a game behind Hawthorn.

I have:

Collingwood
Geelong
St Kilda
Hawthorn
Bulldogs
Fremantle
Carlton
Adelaide

With WCE taking the wooden spoon and Port rising to 11th! (So I'm probably miles off)

We're really going to need to win one of the Adelaide or Geelong games (which we can) to secure a Top 4 spot, or hope that Hawthorn/Freo can stuff it up for themselves, IMHO.

Based on the performance yesterday, we should be able to win one or both of those games and get the double chance.

I agree in the fact that we need to at least win all but one of our games for the remainder of the home and away if we want to control our own destiny. Fremantle will lose at least one but hawthorn are going strong. Either way if freo lose 2 (likely on form, they seem very vunerable) and Hawks lose one (on form unlikely but it takes one slip and its been a very good run for them thus far) we will be a shoe in (hopefully).
(overuse of brackets) but every game we win brings us closer.

Cooney17
30-07-2010, 01:44 AM
I did the predictor and I came up with:

Geelong
Collingwood
St. Kilda
Bulldogs
Freo
Hawthorn
Carlton
Melbourne

I think the top two could go either way depending on who wins the game in round 19. But I do think that the Dogs will finish top four, although Freo do have a relativly easy run home.

All that it comes down to though is that Finals are where we have to make it happen.