PDA

View Full Version : Form leading into finals V '08 & '09

angelopetraglia
26-07-2010, 12:05 AM
In both 2008 and 2009 our form was a bit shaky with about 8 weeks to play.

In 2008;

Round 15 - Defeated Melb 95-64
Round 16 - Lost to Geelong 70-131
Round 17 - Lost to Carlton 98 - 126

In 2009;

Round 15 - Loss to Collingwood 110-111
Round 16 - Defeated Essendon 103-70
Round 17 - Lost to StKilda 61-106

In 2010;

Round 15 - Defeated Carlton 126-58
Round 16 - Defeated Port 83-47
Round 17 - Defeated Fremantle 158-76

In 2008 we fell out of form, winning only 2 out of our last 8 games. We didn't play anywhere near the level we showed early in the season.

In 2009 we also lost form at times in the last 8 weeks but recovered to win the last three games including big wins against the Pies and Cats. We also had flat spots with a bad loss to West Coast and a hiding from StKilda.

I believe our form this year running into the important lead up to the finals is the best out of the last three years. We look like we have timed our run much better. If not for some games we should have never lost (e.g. StKilda), we would be sitting comfortably in the four. However we still have a massive fight on our hands to finish in the top four. The draw on Friday night did not do us any favours due to our percentage being so much stronger than both Hawthorn and StKilda.

What does everyone think? Are we in better form and confidence running into round 18 in 2010 Vs the last two years? Are we in better shape to have a crack this year?

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Time will tell. But I'm liking what's going on this year compared to previous years.

LostDoggy
28-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Pointed this out in the early rounds when there was a lot of doom and gloom around after a 3-3 start (I think many were expecting too much too early after the NAB cup win) -- within reason, and if we had to choose, we'd rather a strong finish than a strong start.

Cyberdoggie
28-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Yes we are looking much better and the balance of the side is the best i have seen it.

We have got the defence sorted out with the right type of runners. I still think we lack a cyril rioli type pressure tackling machine in the forward line, and another hard body like potentially Sam Reid in the middle.

Callan Ward is very versatile and will need to stand up for the rest of the year, and Shaun Higgins needs to lift in form. At times he can be slow or lack aggression and turns the ball over or misses easy goals, but at his best he is a quality player.

craigsahibee
28-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Just building nicely. I believe our late season fades over the last few years have given the conditioning guys some quality data in preparing our guys this year.

Young bodies tend to get tired leading into the finals, but I see two of our important youngsters in Wood and Roughead as pivotal during September as they have not had a full AFL campaign this season. Grant has been used cautiously during games and hopefully will remain fresh.