PDA

View Full Version : Power Balance Bands

Scraggers
26-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Have many people heard of these ??

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:BVDZ2KxFXk4vgM:http://garethbrauteseth.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Power-Balance1.jpg

There has been a lot of speculation about these bands ... they are reported to give you more core strength and importantly balance. There was a few television articles on these (Today Tonight) and its refuted powers. The band is said to have performance technology through the use of a holographic disc embedded in the silicone rubber.

I have been wearing one for the last six weeks (and whether it is psychological or not) I definitely notice a difference ... I feel more stable when playing sport (or chasing truant kids at work ;) )

The reason I am raising it on this forum goes back to the game against the Eagles five weeks ago. At training I noticed a number of our players wearing the bands. I spoke to the team manager who said that most players are wearing them on game day taped up on their wrist. Today, when I viewed the photos on the AFL website of the game against the Dockers, I noticed just how many of our players have one wrist taped.

These bands are prevalent in other sports :-

http://www.tawakilagi.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/332232-power-band.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IscccoQ-nSkmoM:http://thingsboganslike.files.wordpress.com

I love this last image of Fevola wearing the band above the tape :D

What do people know about the bands and in particular our players using them ??

EasternWest
26-07-2010, 04:36 PM
There are a few guys at my work who are into MMA and they swear by them. One guy gave me a before and after test while I was wearing one and swore my resistance level was higher with it on.

I didn't notice any difference. I remain open mindedly sceptical.

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 05:05 PM
How much are they and just wondering are they worth the money? thanks

Scraggers
26-07-2010, 05:15 PM
How much are they and just wondering are they worth the money? thanks

Thats the thing ... I'm not sure if they are worth it.

I can tell you how I THINK it has helped me (core strength, balance, confidence etc), but how much of this is psychological and how much of this is real ??

But in a world where our coach says 90% of today's game is played above the shoulders then ...

Monetary value ... you can get them at most gyms etc for about $60 :)

Scorlibo
26-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Surely we wouldn't use them if they didn't work?

Go_Dogs
26-07-2010, 05:29 PM
A friend of mine began wearing one recently and said it helped him significantly with back and neck pain.

I'll remain skeptical until there is some irrefutable (or close to it) scientific evidence, but I'm keen to give one a go for sure.

Scraggers
26-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Surely we wouldn't use them if they didn't work?

That's my point exactly ... There must be something to them, but is it all above the shoulders :confused:

Ozza
26-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know the science behind them? For what reasons are they supposed to work? I have seen blokes at my footy club wearing them, but they couldn't tell me what properties the wristbands had for improving balance etc.

chef
26-07-2010, 06:33 PM
I was under the impression that it has something to do with magnets and blood circulation, but I could be wrong.

AndrewP6
26-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I was under the impression that it has something to do with magnets and blood circulation, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I think that's something like it.

lemmon
26-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Mate of mine wears one, he reckons he has noticed improvement in his balance but I remain sceptical.

soupman
26-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Some of my mates have them and reckon they are great. They also apparently cure sea sickness according to a family friend. As a side note, apparently if they break or are unsatisfactory they will replace it free of charge.

I however, remain sceptical.

Scraggers
26-07-2010, 08:41 PM

Definitely no magnets in them (dunno about the blood circulation part though) ... They have a holographic disc in them ... The same sought that you use to stop static electricity when working on computers.

jazzadogs
26-07-2010, 10:46 PM
I had always thought that it was supposed to improve the circulation, can't remember where I read that. However, there is absolutely no proof behind it, or the concepts which it purports to be utilising.

I'm studying to be a physio, and one of the main things they teach us is to ensure we have evidence to back up any treatment or techniques. So, no Power Balance bands for me.

One quote I read which made me laugh:
"Your Balance Band may improve your balance, but I have a ring that keeps dragons away. I have worn if for years and never seen a single dragon."
If you don't have proof for your power band, why do I need proof for my anti-dragon ring? :p

Go_Dogs
26-07-2010, 11:06 PM
It's meant to do something like balance your body's natural energetic fields.

Ghost Dog
26-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Sounds like something Kerry Anne would hock off on mid day TV.
But then again, these days look at the money poured into sports science departments?

Before I Die
27-07-2010, 12:23 AM
I had always thought that it was supposed to improve the circulation, can't remember where I read that. However, there is absolutely no proof behind it, or the concepts which it purports to be utilising.

I'm studying to be a physio, and one of the main things they teach us is to ensure we have evidence to back up any treatment or techniques. So, no Power Balance bands for me.

One quote I read which made me laugh:
"Your Balance Band may improve your balance, but I have a ring that keeps dragons away. I have worn if for years and never seen a single dragon."
If you don't have proof for your power band, why do I need proof for my anti-dragon ring? :p

Where can I buy an anti-dragon ring? Do they also work on other mythical beasties? I have always been a bit concerned that I may bump into a Jaberwocky some day.

Elite sports persons are famous for all sorts of good luck rituals and carrying or wearing good luck charms. These bands are probably no less useful than a lucky pair of jocks (and certainly no better).

Scorlibo
27-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Definitely no magnets in them (dunno about the blood circulation part though) ... They have a holographic disc in them ... The same sought that you use to stop static electricity when working on computers.

Hmm.. I'm no scientist, but this makes be slightly less skeptical, if a holographic disc can prevent you from exerting static electricity, then who knows what other effects it could indeed have on the electrical signals within nerves.

It just seems absurd that a product like this could gain worldwide acclaim from athletes, and still be a hoax. Wouldn't they have been done for false advertising or something?

LostDoggy
27-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I think the only science in this whole project has been in figuring out what the financial threshold is that someone would pay before a placebo effect takes hold. Too cheap and people figure that it can't possibly be true so negates the necessary self-delusion, too expensive and it puts it out of the reach of common folk.

Looks like their research settled on $60. Did I hear anyone say 'psychosomatic'?

Scraggers
27-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I think the only science in this whole project has been in figuring out what the financial threshold is that someone would pay before a placebo effect takes hold. Too cheap and people figure that it can't possibly be true so negates the necessary self-delusion, too expensive and it puts it out of the reach of common folk.

Looks like their research settled on $60. Did I hear anyone say 'psychosomatic'?

Its not that I disagree with what you are saying, because the conscious / level headed side of me agrees 100% (particularly about it being psychosomatic) ...

BUT ... Why do our players (and other AFL players / and other sports for that matter) wear them ??? surely there is something to it even if it is in the membrane !!

Greystache
27-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Where can I buy an anti-dragon ring? Do they also work on other mythical beasties? I have always been a bit concerned that I may bump into a Jaberwocky some

I don't have a ring for dragons, but I do have a rock that keeps away tigers, it has 100% success in West Melbourne, however I can't guarantee its effectiveness if you were to carry it in other locations such as Africa or Asia!

Throughandthrough
27-07-2010, 02:58 PM
a couple of senior footballers i know wear them. They agree 100% that they must be nothing more then hocus pocus, BUT swear that they feel better while they are wearing them. So they agree its all in the mind, but wont take them off!

The Underdog
27-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Its not that I disagree with what you are saying, because the conscious / level headed side of me agrees 100% (particularly about it being psychosomatic) ...

BUT ... Why do our players (and other AFL players / and other sports for that matter) wear them ??? surely there is something to it even if it is in the membrane !!

Because despite what we want to believe, sportsmen ain't necessarily scientists, rocket or otherwise. They are also superstitious as ****.
But hey I'm the most cynical person I know

hujsh
27-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I looked into this a while back and found this article.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/power-of-holograms-or-just-a-big-scam/story-e6frecj3-1225849554095

What convinced me they were bogus is this extract from the website. "Power Balance is performance technology that uses holograms embedded with frequencies that react positively with your body's natural energy field to improve balance, strength and flexibility," the Power Balance website claims.

LostDoggy
27-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Because despite what we want to believe, sportsmen ain't necessarily scientists, rocket or otherwise. They are also superstitious as ****.
But hey I'm the most cynical person I know

This.

If we believed there was basis to something simply based on what elite sportspeople did we would have to believe that there was merit to putting one shoe on before another, sticking cricket bats to the ceiling of changerooms, wearing tattered blue college shorts under your NBA shorts, only eating chicken on gameday, having 300PRFCTGM license plates, carrying charms on your gamebag, starting your round of golf only with odd-numbered clubs, and not stepping on the lines on a tennis court.

All elite sportspeople know at the end of the day the line between winning and losing is so fine that they are happy to acknowledge the whims of fate as represented by a relatively nonsensical random superstition. It's a way of explicitly claiming some sort of control over what they know implicitly they have no real control of.

EasternWest
27-07-2010, 04:05 PM
This.

If we believed there was basis to something simply based on what elite sportspeople did we would have to believe that there was merit to putting one shoe on before another, sticking cricket bats to the ceiling of changerooms, wearing tattered blue college shorts under your NBA shorts, only eating chicken on gameday, having 300PRFCTGM license plates, carrying charms on your gamebag, starting your round of golf only with odd-numbered clubs, and not stepping on the lines on a tennis court.

All elite sportspeople know at the end of the day the line between winning and losing is so fine that they are happy to acknowledge the whims of fate as represented by a relatively nonsensical random superstition. It's a way of explicitly claiming some sort of control over what they know implicitly they have no real control of.

There isn't? I've been doing it all wrong.

AndrewP6
27-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Sounds like something Kerry Anne would hock off on mid day TV.
But then again, these days look at the money poured into sports science departments?

A matter of time before Foxtel's TVSN starts flogging them. Not so long ago, they were flogging a treadmill, and the presenter used the logic "Hey, by nature we're all hunters and gatherers"!!!! :eek::eek::eek: He was on about our intrinsic need to keep active. Or something. :confused:

Sockeye Salmon
27-07-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't have a ring for dragons, but I do have a rock that keeps away tigers, it has 100% success in West Melbourne, however I can't guarantee its effectiveness if you were to carry it in other locations such as Africa or Asia!

I guarantee you it will work in Africa as well.

LostDoggy
28-07-2010, 09:38 AM
I guarantee you it will work in Africa as well.

And most parts of Asia.

Mofra
28-07-2010, 11:16 AM
They are also superstitious as ****.
Absolutely. One former Brisbane Lions player always had to be the 7th player to run out on the ground. Some players avoid the banner. Some have to swim in seawater on the morning of each game.

For the superstitious types, anything that works on a psychosematic level would probably have some benefit. There's plenty of material around debunking the hologram theory, and material that suggests a placebo works just as well.

KT31
29-07-2010, 09:26 AM

I believe Elin Nordegren has purched on and it seems to be working quite well at the moment.
It was either that or the one wood.:D

Greystache
29-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I believe Elin Nordegren has purched on and it seems to be working quite well at the moment.

Technically Tiger bought it for her but it's all the same to her. ;)

Judging by the media reports I think there was more than one wood!

Greystache
29-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Technically Tiger bought it for her but it's all the same to her. ;)

Judging by the media reports I think there was more than one wood!

Before I Die
27-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Shock, horror!! They were fake!!!

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/power-balance-wristband-exposed-as-a-sham/story-e6frfgbo-1225975195319?referrer=email&source=HS_email_nl&emcmp=HS&emchn=Newsletter&emlist=Member)

LostDoggy
28-12-2010, 06:47 AM
I grabbed a couple of rubber bands stuck one cent on them then wrote POWER on each side and gave them a joke Christmas presents.

Twodogs
28-12-2010, 09:36 AM
I grabbed a couple of rubber bands stuck one cent on them then wrote POWER on each side and gave them a joke Christmas presents.

The irony is that the old 1 cent coins you stuck to them are probably more valuable than the 'hologramic' device that's stuck to the powerband.

LostDoggy
28-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Shock, horror!! They were fake!!!

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/power-balance-wristband-exposed-as-a-sham/story-e6frfgbo-1225975195319?referrer=email&source=HS_email_nl&emcmp=HS&emchn=Newsletter&emlist=Member)

Ive heard that they are our new ball sponsors! Looks like we will be trying to get a new one sooner rather than later!

Twodogs
28-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Ive heard that they are our new ball sponsors!

Really? What a great product. Everyone should wear one!

Remi Moses
29-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Bucket mouth Aker was spruiking them a few months back!
He'd probably blame us for them being complete shit