PDA

View Full Version : Dogs' box-to-bench radio link infiltrated

chef
28-07-2010, 08:00 AM
A RADIO operator has accessed the frequency of the radio communications from the Western Bulldogs coach's box to the interchange bench, listened in during matches and offered the taped audio for sale.

The Bulldogs were alerted to the hacking when a media outlet, which had been offered the audio, told the club. The Age is unaware of any club having bought or having been offered the audio.

''Someone contacted a media outlet and told them he had tapped into our signal,'' Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said. ''They didn't buy it and they told us. It's certainly a concern to us and we have spoken with the AFL about it to see what the laws and regulations around that are.

''It is a very difficult issue because you can't stop people from tuning into frequencies but you can create issues if they are selling that information on to others.

''I'm not aware of any other clubs buying the information, that would certainly be contravening the AFL's rules. But it is still a concern.

''One of the problems is anyone can go to Tandy Electronics and buy a signal scrambler and search for the frequencies - that's been around a long time - but the concern to us is that someone has done that and now they are trying to use that information and sell it on.

''I would like to think clubs are not going to that length to find out that information and as far as we know they have not. We certainly have not. It is something we need to monitor and the AFL needs to monitor and be vigilant about.''

Typically the line from the coach's box to the bench is a secure hard line and not a radio communication but most clubs operate a second radio communication system to the bench.

Most clubs use a secure digital system that is encrypted and cannot be tapped using a scrambler.

The Bulldogs' cheaper analog system is vulnerable to being tapped.

AFL football operations boss Adrian Anderson did not wish to comment last night.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-boxtobench-radio-link-infiltrated-20100727-10ub9.html

Time to get digital.;)

Scraggers
28-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Time to get digital.;)

I agree ... how much would a digital set cost??

Do the media outlet have a name ??? ... surely we can get Police involvement if this dweeb is trying to on-sell this tape.

Another example of the AFL being weak

Ozza
28-07-2010, 12:49 PM
I agree ... how much would a digital set cost??

Do the media outlet have a name ??? ... surely we can get Police involvement if this dweeb is trying to on-sell this tape.

Another example of the AFL being weak

The Motorola sets that Geelong and Richmond have are the top notch gear - and cost $80K for a full set - so I suppose work back from there to the not quite as good.

The Coon Dog
28-07-2010, 01:06 PM
The Motorola sets that Geelong and Richmond have are the top notch gear - and cost $80K for a full set - so I suppose work back from there to the not quite as good.

That would mean their gear is worth 4 times what ours cost!

KT31
28-07-2010, 01:14 PM
How is this any diferent from phone tapping ?
Also isn't it illegal to use recording equipment without permsision at an AFL game ?
Phone tapping is illegal and so should this be, hope they arrest the imbosil and set an example.
Dogs just got rid of a distraction and now we have to put up with this crap.:mad:

Throughandthrough
28-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Has Acker been rules out as a suspect?

mighty_west
28-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm suprised this has just come out now, it's been happening at rock concerts for some time, finding the frequency and tapping directly into the audio feed.

Wouldn't suprise me if clubs aready do this for their own advantage.

Scraggers
28-07-2010, 02:55 PM

funny funny funny :D

Sockeye Salmon
28-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Yes, he has.

Aker never listens to anybody.

Scraggers
28-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Yes, he has.

Aker never listens to anybody.

Funnier :D

Remi Moses
28-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Nerd with to much spare time on his hands.

Remi Moses
28-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Wonder if it came with a warning of coarse language that some listeners may find offensive:eek:

mighty_west
28-07-2010, 07:23 PM
3AW have just played bits of the tape from one of our games, which include moves, sets ups etc etc, this guy who taps into the frequency listens to Doggies & North games on a regular basis, Rocket seemed to think that this had gone on since his days at Sydney.

He quote often wondered how the opposition had made a move to counter his own, before his players had taken their possies. :eek:

Nothing is sacred.

Scraggers
28-07-2010, 08:07 PM
3AW have just played bits of the tape from one of our games, which include moves, sets ups etc etc, this guy who taps into the frequency listens to Doggies & North games on a regular basis, Rocket seemed to think that this had gone on since his days at Sydney.

He quote often wondered how the opposition had made a move to counter his own, before his players had taken their possies. :eek:

Nothing is sacred.

For them to have played it, someone (media) must have bought it ... This is so wrong ... At this stage of proceedings we need to get the Police involved.

Some sort of legal action needs to be taken

mighty_west
28-07-2010, 08:23 PM
For them to have played it, someone (media) must have bought it ... This is so wrong ... At this stage of proceedings we need to get the Police involved.

Some sort of legal action needs to be taken

No, the audio was given to Healy for free, this guy apprently doesn't want to make money from it, he just goes along to each game just to listen in.

We just have to go digital, and i am suprised that with this thing going on for some time, clubs would still use anolog technology.

Flamethrower
28-07-2010, 08:37 PM
The umpires use the same equipment. You can buy a receiver from Tandy or Dick Smith and listen to the umpire's mikes during the games - it gets boring very quickly.

I can't see what advantage this would give other teams - any decent coaching staff can detect moves by the opposition very quickly - just listen to Malthouse on SEN on Friday nights to see how quickly he picks up changes in game plans and postional moves.

soupman
28-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I reckon this would be interesting to listen too live, but not after a match. It would be the closest most would ever get to experiencing what it's like inside the box during a game, and it would be cool to watch the moves as they happened.

This isn't to say I condone the activity though.

chef
29-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Western Bulldogs' hack fears

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade says rival clubs have used intelligence obtained by radio operators hacking into the Dogs' matchday communications.
And one hacker exclusively explained how he bugged the Bulldogs coaching box with an off-the-shelf scanning device.

"(You can't put your) head in the sand," Eade said. "I think any advantage that people can get, people will take it. There's no doubt about that.

"There's clubs and organisations that are now working (on) ways where you can't be listened in to.

"On Grand Final day you'd hate to think it would cost you a game."

Eade revealed he first suspected his radio communications were being hacked when he coached Sydney - he was in charge of the Swans from 1996 to 2002.

The Herald Sun believes radio operators have hacked into match-day communications between coaches and their players and assistants at several clubs.

Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse and St Kilda coach Ross Lyon are believed to have been among those left exposed by the clandestine activities.

Audio from the Western Bulldogs box at the Bulldogs-Fremantle game at Etihad Stadium last Sunday, accessed by a scanner, was broadcast on 3AW.

It featured the voices of Eade and interchange bench staff and revealed moves, including directions to the bench to move to a four-man forward line.

"Some of the voices I heard are actually people down on the bench," Eade said on 3AW.

"It's picking up two-way communication. There's no doubt in my mind that (hacking) happens. Certainly when I was in Sydney I thought it, and ... at some grounds there's no doubt you're worried about the boxes being bugged."

Eade said the Bulldogs were working to introduce an encrypted system to foil hackers as quick as possible.

The breaches could leave the clubs at a major disadvantage if rival clubs were to gain access to the audio, either in real time or recorded form.

At least one Melbourne club has been offered access to the audio. A source at the club said the offer was rejected, explaining "our lives wouldn't be worth living" if it was discovered by the AFL.

One radio operator who has listened in on matchday communications told the Herald Sun the analogue or digital receivers used cost $600-$1000 and were available from electronics shops.

The operator, who declined to be named, said the devices could pick up radio waves from coaching boxes from up to 1km.

The Herald Sun has listened to the tapes played in concert with footage from a game.

A recording from last year's finals series involved a current coach speaking about a former star in derogatory terms.

The Herald Sun heard one coach barking instructions, including to "f------ man up".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-hack-fears/story-e6frf9jf-1225898192178

KT31
29-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Nothing is sacred.

Quite possibly may be the reason some coaches are now coaching from the bench.

mighty_west
29-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Quite possibly may be the reason some coaches are now coaching from the bench.

They would still communicate with the assistants up stairs.

mighty_west
29-07-2010, 01:31 PM
The umpires use the same equipment. You can buy a receiver from Tandy or Dick Smith and listen to the umpire's mikes during the games - it gets boring very quickly.

I can't see what advantage this would give other teams - any decent coaching staff can detect moves by the opposition very quickly - just listen to Malthouse on SEN on Friday nights to see how quickly he picks up changes in game plans and postional moves.

If a coach can get a 20-30 second advantage with a certain move, easily enough time to sneak a goal here or there, Rocket mentioned that moves had been made as soon as his took place at times, given no sneaky advantage what so ever.

Then we also have issues with coaches comments about players behind the glass, which i am sure the club would not want to get back to certain players.

AndrewP6
29-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Jeez, when I was a kid we'd just listen in to the cops on my uncle's CB radio! ...

Cooney17
30-07-2010, 12:48 AM
To be honest I would be very disappointed if any club used this to their advantage, it's not in the spirit of the game, I would hope that AFL clubs have to much respect for each other. And if I found out that we were using these sort of tactics I would be very unhappy with the club.

KT31
01-08-2010, 06:41 PM
They would still communicate with the assistants up stairs.

Fair point.