PDA

View Full Version : Liam Picken Goal

The Adelaide Connection
29-07-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/competitions/goal/goal.aspx#

Go to the above link if you want to vote for the amazing goal he kicked against Freo.

It may be my red, white and blue bias, but I feel that they really glossed over this goal in the commentary and postgame. Just feel like if it were Franklin or Rioli the media would be going bananas.

Ghost Dog
29-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Oh yeah, I totally agree. Took a brash'n crashin', brimming level of devil-may-care confidence to kick that one.
Love the way he just trots back to the center with this placid expression.

If Cyril had kicked that one Mcavaney would have been gushing like an Oil well in the Gulf of new mexico.

Mantis
29-07-2010, 10:43 AM
If Cyril had kicked that one Mcavaney would have been gushing like an Oil well in the Gulf of new mexico.

Bruce wasn't calling our game so I am not sure how this would be possible.

Ghost Dog
29-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Substitute 'Mcavaney' for media

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 10:53 AM
I voted!! It was a great goal, Pickers was so good at keeping his balance and then kicking it from a fair way out. :)

The Adelaide Connection
29-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Of the two contenders, I think LeCras goal is also pretty awesome and Didaks was good, but benefitted from incompatent defending. Sheer weight of voting numbers will probably mean that Didak will win it though.

jazzadogs
29-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Griff's goal was pretty good too, when he picked it up, ducked under two people then kicked it off the outside of the boot.

Didak will win.

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Didak's looked cool but like some have already said, was thanks to some shite defending.

Pickers was great, but Le Cras should really win it. His was a blinder -- one handed pick-up, run around the player NicNat was shepherding, and just rolled it in from the boundary. He's in such incredible form now he probably feels he could do anything.

ps. far be it from me to defend the media, but to be fair, Cyril does these types of things regularly, whereas that was a one-off from Picken. If he does this every other week, I hope he gets the recognition he deserves too.

The Underdog
29-07-2010, 02:45 PM
LeCras' goal should be a deserved winner, but I have to say Liam's goal summarises why watching him play football each week has become an absolute pleasure. I absolutely loved it at the time.

The Adelaide Connection
29-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Didak's looked cool but like some have already said, was thanks to some shite defending.

Pickers was great, but Le Cras should really win it. His was a blinder -- one handed pick-up, run around the player NicNat was shepherding, and just rolled it in from the boundary. He's in such incredible form now he probably feels he could do anything.

ps. far be it from me to defend the media, but to be fair, Cyril does these types of things regularly, whereas that was a one-off from Picken. If he does this every other week, I hope he gets the recognition he deserves too.

I totally agree that Cyril Rioli is a complete freak (in the positive sense of the word) and manages to constantly pull out amazing individual efforts. As does Franklin. But that shouldn't mean we get less excited when somebody else does it.

The Adelaide Connection
29-07-2010, 03:20 PM
LeCras' goal should be a deserved winner, but I have to say Liam's goal summarises why watching him play football each week has become an absolute pleasure. I absolutely loved it at the time.

LeCras goal was an absolutely beauty and great to watch, but I don't agree it was as good as Pickens. It certainly "looked" flashier, with the ball bouncing in seemingly impossible ways, but I think you need to look at more than the kick.

At full speed Picken knocked the ball on and took on and broke the tackle of one of Freos quickest players, kept his feet, changed direction and broke another Hill tackle, broke another tackle while changing direction again, and without setting himself snapped the goal from 35-40m on a 45ish degree angle. It all happened freakishly quickly too.

LeCras gathered the ball brilliantly but was able to set himself and almost stop and got a good look at the goals when he popped it on his boot. He did well to get it away with the man coming in late and he didnt have a lot of time, but I reckon we will see 20 more of these goals (and several more points) before we see another like Liams.

Without taking anything away from LeCras, who I really rate, I guess I am saying that anyone can throw it on their boot and sometimes it will go through and be spectacular. They all practice them at training and we have even seen some unlikely ruckmen pull a few off this year (maybe not quite as good as LeCras). But we don't see many do what Liam did and you really can't practice kicking those type of goals.

mighty_west
29-07-2010, 05:03 PM
What i think:
1 - LeCras
2 - Picken
3 - Didak

How the public will vote:
1 - Didak
2 - LeCras
3 - Picken

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Just saw you can vote more than once - keep voting people!! :D

wend1604
29-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I've voted!!

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I've voted, and think Liam's goal was a joy to behold!

choconmientay
14-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Picken has now earned the reward. This article (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/liam-picken-apart/story-e6frf9jf-1225905071916) is full of praises. Really well done to him. He is so important to our structure. Some of the other players (young and old) can learn a lot of thing about work ethic from him.