PDA

View Full Version : A soft touch

Mantis
29-07-2010, 01:16 PM
MARTIN FLANAGAN
July 29, 2010

Hard man Barry Hall is a hit with the kids.

The Western Bulldogs' Bob Murphy describes Barry Hall as an old-fashioned working-class gentleman.

Bulldogs assistant coach Paul Williams, who played with Hall in Sydney's 2006 premiership, says that's one way of putting it. In their days at the Swans, Williams invited Hall round to his place to watch the footy. The game began, Williams found himself watching alone. Hall was in a colouring-in competition with Williams' two daughters on the back table. Coach Rodney Eade's word for Hall as a person is ''respectful''. Of his relationship with children, Eade says: ''He loves kids and they're attracted to him.''

Full article (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-soft-touch-20100728-10w3l.html)

Cyberdoggie
29-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I had a chuckle to myself after reading the line from the school's literacy co-ordinator.
:p

Scraggers
29-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I had a chuckle to myself after reading the line from the school's literacy co-ordinator.
:p

As an Educator myself, this scares me !! :(

Throughandthrough
29-07-2010, 05:44 PM
On the Sunday Morning Footy Show about 4 - 5 years ago they showed a Ford (???) ad, showed Barry Hall at an Auskick clinic; playing the whole team by himself. Absolute crack up, i havent seen it since. Hopefully it's on you-tube somewhere!

Throughandthrough
29-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Matthew Shawcross, the school's vice-principal, says the difference between footballers who are good with kids and footballers who are not is the good ones listen.

Yep. I've attended a lot of these clinics/functions thru the years, most of the players are good, a few are awesome (Matt Bode, absolute champion bloke) and a few simply should have stayed home.

At one an "all australian" turned up 30 minutes late (lives around the corner), and spoke to mates on his mobile phone most of the time.

I guess it's a matter of whatever effort they chose to put in, they get it back with interest.

Was at a birthday party last year and a few of the Crows were there. One of them spoke to one of my kids for about an hour about their mutual love of WWE. I was bored to the back teeth, tried to butt in and mentioned supercoach or something. They both glared at me, grunted, and then went back to talking about wrestling...

So I wondered off and got more beer.

:)

AndrewP6
29-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Years back I was working at a school when Aaron Hamill was at Carlton. He was OK with the kids, but I think most of them were more intelligent ;)

ledge
29-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Wardy and Griffen were at St Albans this week, both didnt seem interested in being there from what i am told by a teacher.

AndrewP6
29-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Wardy and Griffen were at St Albans this week, both didnt seem interested in being there from what i am told by a teacher.

Actually have got similar vibes from Shaun Higgins at the family days I've been to. :(

Ghost Dog
30-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Actually have got similar vibes from Shaun Higgins at the family days I've been to. :(

that's a shame. Good ol' Barry. Loved reading that.

immortalmike
30-07-2010, 02:46 AM

To be fair to the guys not everyone is great with kids.

Twodogs
30-07-2010, 09:14 AM
That article displays everything that makes the Western suburbs such a great place. Different ethinic groups coming together, learningabout each other and then getting together and barracking for the Bulldogs!

Hope they can convert that little **** in the Collingwood scarf. In fact where did they find a kid who barracked for Collingwood? They must have bussed him in with the news team.

Desipura
30-07-2010, 11:22 AM
When I saw Ward at a handball comp, he came accross as shy.

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 04:41 PM
To be fair to the guys not everyone is great with kids.

Absolutely. My girlfriend is the most lovely female I've ever met — horrible with kids though… Me? Well, sometimes I'm a total jerk, but I love kids and if I had my way I'd have 73 of them…