HB - Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee
C - Cross, Boyd, Picken
HF - Murphy, Jones, Johnson
F - Grant, Hall, Higgins
R - Hudson, Griffen, Cooney
Int - Addison, Eagleton, Everitt, Giansiracusa, Moles, Roughead, Wood

In - Jones

Out - Ward (Hip)

* For some reason you can no longer copy/paste direct from the AFL website.

bornadog
29-07-2010, 06:10 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS v NORTH MELBOURNE

Western Bulldogs

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
HB: Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
HF: Robert Murphy, Liam Jones, Brad Johnson
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Shaun Higgins
Foll: Ben Hudson, Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney
I/C (from): Dylan Addison, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Daniel Giansiracusa, Brodie Moles, Jordan Roughead, Easton Wood

In: Dylan Addison, Andrejs Everitt, Liam Jones, Nathan Eagleton
Out: Callan Ward (hip)

New: Liam Jones (Tasmania U18)

North Melbourne

B: Michael Firrito, Scott Thompson, Brady Rawlings
HB: Jamie MacMillan, Josh Smith, Scott McMahon
C: Leigh Adams, Brent Harvey, Sam Wright
HF: Matt Campbell, Aaron Edwards, Ben Speight
F: Ben Cunnington, Lachlan Hansen, Lindsay Thomas
Foll: Hamish McIntosh, Andrew Swallow, Levi Greenwood
I/C: Ed Lower, Todd Goldstein, Ryan Bastinac, Brayden Norris, Marcus White, Leigh Harding, Gavin Urquhart

In: McMahon, Thomas, White, Wright, Norris
Out: David Hale , Ben Warren (back)

New: Marcus White (Calder Cannons/Rookie list), Brayden Norris (Murray Bushrangers)

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 06:12 PM
I never would have guessed Jones was a chance. Good luck to him. Hopefully will kick a bag.

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Will be interesting to see who goes in and out from that team, would like to see Jones and Everitt play but probably abit top heavy if that happens, Maybe Jones, Everitt (to play on a wing) in and Ward and im really not sure (would be a tall but I just cant think of anyone) out.

Edit - also interesting to see Murphy back forward and Jones on the ground.

Greystache
29-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Great to see Jones get a taste, not expecting big things from him this week, maybe 8 possesions and a goal, but hopefully we'll see one of his trademark pack marks.

Will be great for his preseason next year to know the level of fitness and strength required at AFL level.

GVGjr
29-07-2010, 06:30 PM
A lot of WOOF members have been saying that we are too tall and need extra runners so a Jones for Ward swap can't be what they wanted.

Any chance that we will be too top heavy?
The other concern will be the ability for Jones to spend significant time on the field.

Remi Moses
29-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Gee after watching last week surprised if Hansen plays.Well deserved inclusion Liam Jones I think the Eagle will play,just hope we don't go to top heavy.

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 06:36 PM
A lot of WOOF members have been saying that we are too tall and need extra runners so a Jones for Ward swap can't be what they wanted.

The other concern will be the ability for Jones to spend significant time on the field.

No, Geelong & St Kilda go in with big men every week & keep winning.

Geelong have Scarlett, Taylor, Mooney, Hawkins/Pods all in there team at once, not counting the two rucks.

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Definite chance of being top heavy but Nth aren't the team to capitalise imo.

I am usually happy when we play the young kids but doesn't it seem a bit arrogant of us at this stage of the season? Wouldn't Hill or Everitt have been a safer option? Any VFL watchers have an idea on Hill vs Jones in regards to impact on the game? Whats Jones' defensive pressure like?

I Rod I trust and we will pump them anyway plus have another player putting the pressure on the first 22.

bornadog
29-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I can't see any more changes other than in Jones and out Ward.

Rocco Jones
29-07-2010, 06:43 PM

A few have also suggested we play 3 ruckmen, must say I have resisted the urge to reply to those suggestions.

I am definitely in the runners over non-gun talls camp. Someone joked about me having an issue with tall people, but I actually think it's a bit of an indictment on the modern game that you have to be so wary with not playing enough runners.

I think we look top heavy and would have preferred us to play Dre ahead of Jones team structure wise but as long as Jones can warrant say 70%+ TOG I think it will be OK. North are also probably the right side for him to play against as they can often be top heavy/lacking running depth themselves.

I must also say I am excited to see Jones play and think it's a great idea to give him a taste of it this season.

mjp
29-07-2010, 06:44 PM

You already know I will say 'YES'.

Doesn't matter though - we need to get a couple of games into Jones this year.

chef
29-07-2010, 06:46 PM

Me neither and I will be happy with that.

Hotdog60
29-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Definite chance of being top heavy but Nth aren't the team to capitalise imo.

I am usually happy when we play the young kids but doesn't it seem a bit arrogant of us at this stage of the season? Wouldn't Hill or Everitt have been a safer option? Any VFL watchers have an idea on Hill vs Jones in regards to impact on the game? Whats Jones' defensive pressure like?
I Rod I trust and we will pump them anyway plus have another player putting the pressure on the first 22.

I watch a replay of the VFL game on iview and I don't think Hill did enough for elevation, only got into the game in the last quarter.

I think it's worth while giving Jones a taste, and he seems to follow up fairly well.

Rocco Jones
29-07-2010, 06:57 PM
No, Geelong & St Kilda go in with big men every week & keep winning.

Geelong have Scarlett, Taylor, Mooney, Hawkins/Pods all in there team at once, not counting the two rucks.

You forgot Lonergan for the Cats too.

For me it's not just about how many talls, it's about a few things.

The mobility/flexibility of the talls is massive (pardon the pun).

Can at least one your 2 rucks offer value elsewhere?
Do your tall defenders also play on smaller opponents and/or able create rebound?
Do your tall forwards offer defensive pressure and/or decent value at ground level?

Also your game style is massive. The more of a stoppage style you play, the more tall you can afford to be IMO. If your team is reliant on run, obviously the opposite.

Talls can also provide run vicariously by taking up high levels of TOG (obviously vital they warrant it) and releasing players to spend more time in midfield rotations/as 'runners' (or whatever wings/HF/HBs are in this crazy modern game).

GVGjr
29-07-2010, 07:03 PM
You already know I will say 'YES'.

Doesn't matter though - we need to get a couple of games into Jones this year.

MJP, For the short and even the long term perspective what benefit would a player like Jones get if he came in for just one or two games?

Was Grants one game last year the catalyst for his good form this season?

I often hear the 'get games into them' expression but have always felt that unless the young player had form and fitness it wasn't going to amount to that much of a benefit.

Cyberdoggie
29-07-2010, 07:04 PM

It's certainly a concern.

We did this earlier in the season and then we had to reshuffle to get the structure and the run back, particularly in the backline.

Whilst i think Jones needs a game for experience sakes, Everitt would be unlucky to miss. He is doing everything asked of him to get a game other than kick a bag a goals or get 40 disposals. I think he's a better option than Williams but somehow Tom gets the nod on potential.

Tim Callan is another who seems to have been overlooked, but that is what you get when you have some depth.

GVGjr
29-07-2010, 07:06 PM
A few have also suggested we play 3 ruckmen, must say I have resisted the urge to reply to those suggestions.

It might be interesting next season if Cordy becomes due for a game.
Jones, Roughead, Grant and Cordy fighting for senior games could be great for the club but a nightmare for selectors.

G-Mo77
29-07-2010, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I think that is how it will stay.

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Can't wait to see what this kid has got..VFL watchers have said good things about him..

Just wanna throw out where Patrick Rose is at in that case? Obviously won't play this year..but Liam Jones is well ahead of him I assume?

GVGjr
29-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Can't wait to see what this kid has got..VFL watchers have said good things about him..

Just wanna throw out where Patrick Rose is at in that case? Obviously won't play this year..but Liam Jones is well ahead of him I assume?

Jones is a key forward and Rose is a rookie listed a small forward. It probably comes if Rose does enough during the season to stay on the list for another year. Jones will be around for a long while.

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Jones is a key forward and Rose is a rookie listed a small forward. It probably comes if Rose does enough during the season to stay on the list for another year. Jones will be around for a long while.

Thanks good to hear.

Also can't see anyone else breaking into the side now, unless there's a late injury withdrawl.. in that case I hope Skinny gets in.

Mantis
29-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Very happy to see Jones get a run and although we go in a little top heavy that would have to be North's worst team (at least on paper) they have fielded for many a year.

This could get ugly.

mighty_west
29-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Tim Callan is another who seems to have been overlooked, but that is what you get when you have some depth.

Poor old Timmy, first he was depth at Geelong, now the Dogs, he would easily get a game in most other sides.

We only have to look at Geelong & Collingwood to see that there are good players running around in the 2's, now we seem to have similar issues, which is a great thing for the club, not so for the individual player.

Everitt & Eagleton would also be walk up starters in most sides, Jones & Roughead would have probably played from round 1 with the likes of Richmond, Port & Melbourne.

mighty_west
29-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Very happy to see Jones get a run and although we go in a little top heavy that would have to be North's worst team (at least on paper) they have fielded for many a year.

This could get ugly.

Lets hope so..;)

azabob
29-07-2010, 07:15 PM
MJP, For the short and even the long term perspective what benefit would a player like Jones get if he came in for just one or two games?

I often hear the 'get games into them' expression but have always felt that unless the young player had form and fitness it wasn't going to amount to that much of a benefit.

Interesting view perhaps not for the club as the are playing a player short, im no expert but I will say we have given debut games on a platter to Josh Hill and J Grant when form or fitness didn't warrant. However the next season they have come on in leaps and bounds as they knew exactly how hard they actually had to work to get there.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Congrats to young Jones for his first game. There is always something exciting about seeing a young kid get his first guernsey. I remember as a kid myself always looking forward that little bit more than usual to a game when I knew there was a debutant.
Although the jump into the Big League is a larger jump to make today than it was 20 years ago, and therefore a lot less likely that a new kid is going to make a sizeable impact in his first foray into the big time.

Any thoughts on who comes out with Jones coming in, as I'm not sure if he is the inclusion to replace Ward?
Maybe Grant is going to get a rest?

The Pie Man
29-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Congrats to young Jones for his first game. There is always something exciting about seeing a young kid get his first guernsey. I remember as a kid myself always looking forward that little bit more than usual to a game when I knew there was a debutant.
Although the jump into the Big League is a larger jump to make today than it was 20 years ago, and therefore a lot less likely that a new kid is going to make a sizeable impact in his first foray into the big time.

Any thoughts on who comes out with Jones coming in, as I'm not sure if he is the inclusion to replace Ward?
Maybe Grant is going to get a rest?

He's been named on the ground with Jones, so I believe he's in.

I echo the congratulations to Liam

BornInDroopSt'54
29-07-2010, 09:03 PM

Giving Jones a game or two benefits him mentally which is the major human skill, even for AFL footballers. It gives him a chance to perceive, experience the coal face and then to reflect, plan and accept what he has gotten himself into. He then gestates over the break and preseason and is subconsciously more ready.
Either that or he fires up from the beginning and is a major factor in our premiership thrust. Ron James played his first game for Port Melbourne at 14 in the grand final, and there have been a few teenagers throughout the years who have been introduced late in the season and had big impacts in the finals.
If this is not what happens with Jones, at least he'll be blooded.

chef
29-07-2010, 09:06 PM

We did the same thing to Hill didn't we.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I to think it's fantastic that Jones gets a game for a couple of reasons,

- We will flog North.
- It is good to get a fell and shows you what's ahead for the pre season and why the others work so hard
- It could also be a message for a few of the other boys down at Willi, "Pull your fingers out guys"
- He has been close for a while so far enough, if his output of late is a little down I'm sure the MC have been happy.
- He could gain valuable experience in playing with a side that has a few options should things not go his way.
- Also he will add more value than Stack if Hall puts a head lock on anyone again.

Best of Luck and I hope its a game to alway remember.

GVGjr
29-07-2010, 09:14 PM
We did the same thing to Hill didn't we.

We have done it a heap of times but I'm asking how does a game or two benefit a young player. I think Droop Streets response is a good one but would one (poor) game by Grant last year really have benefited him that much this season? I really doubt that it would.

Murphy'sLore
29-07-2010, 09:17 PM
... would one (poor) game by Grant last year really have benefited him that much this season? I really doubt that it would.

Grant is on record as saying that one game gave him a very good idea of exactly how hard he had to work to get himself up to AFL standard. So according to him, yes, it would.

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 09:19 PM
We have done it a heap of times but I'm asking how does a game or two benefit a young player. I think Droop Streets response is a good one but would one (poor) game by Grant last year really have benefited him that much this season? I really doubt that it would.

I remember Grant saying that it did, it opened his eyes to how far off he actually was & what had to be done to get to AFL level.

Murphy'sLore
29-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Snap!

chef
29-07-2010, 09:33 PM

According to Grant it benefited him and I remember Hill saying something about it gave him a taste and it drove him through the next preseason(getting back in the side).

Mofra
29-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Re: being top heavy, if we play Gia as a mid instead of a forward it will go some way to covering the loss of Ward, especially considering he seem to spend more time forward this year as well. Higgins is another who can play further from the F50.

Would expect Ward will be back in in later rounds unless Jones pulls of the miraculous and does more than get a tatse.

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Re: being top heavy, if we play Gia as a mid instead of a forward it will go some way to covering the loss of Ward, especially considering he seem to spend more time forward this year as well. Higgins is another who can play further from the F50.

Would expect Ward will be back in in later rounds unless Jones pulls of the miraculous and does more than get a tatse.

Don't think he has the fitness to do so, not for extended long periods.

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 10:09 PM
It might be interesting next season if Cordy becomes due for a game.
Jones, Roughead, Grant and Cordy fighting for senior games could be great for the club but a nightmare for selectors.

Would there be any senior players retiring to free up the playing list?

Eagleton, Harbrow moving North (i hope not), Johnno?

GVGjr
29-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Grant is on record as saying that one game gave him a very good idea of exactly how hard he had to work to get himself up to AFL standard. So according to him, yes, it would.

So 2 years training with the guys like Morris, and Cross didn't give him an idea of what was required but the one game gave him the final piece of the puzzle?
I took what he said back then as just a bit of spin. I really doubt the one or two touches he had that day helped him in anyway in fact it could have been counter productive.
Surely the reason for his success this year is a full pre-season and some good form with Williamstown more than the one game last year.

GVGjr
29-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Would there be any senior players retiring to free up the playing list?

Eagleton, Harbrow moving North (i hope not), Johnno?

Add Akermanis but all of the guys you have nominated are smalls and I would think he will be competing with Roughead, Grant, Hall and Jones for a spot in the forward line and they will still be on the list next season.

EasternWest
29-07-2010, 10:45 PM
So 2 years training with the guys like Morris, and Cross didn't give him an idea of what was required but the one game gave him the final piece of the puzzle?
I took what he said back then as just a bit of spin. I really doubt the one or two touches he had that day helped him in anyway in fact it could have been counter productive.
Surely the reason for his success this year is a full pre-season and some good form with Williamstown more than the one game last year.

I sort of look at it more as the only way he would really know what the big show required was to see it himself. He saw it, and it made him understand exactly why guys like Cross and Morris work so hard. Not to give themselves an extra edge, just to make the grade alone!

I agree with you that it's not the one or two touches he had, it's the stuff that he couldn't do that others could that showed him what he needed to do. If that makes sense?

Rocco Jones
29-07-2010, 10:46 PM
I sound like the champion for smalls over talls but it's all about the quality they offer.

Hall is a gun and Grant is as mobile as a medium forward. If Jones is good enough, there is no problem with playing two tall forwards.

What makes a side top heavy is when they have a few ordinary talls.

soupman
29-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Poor old Timmy, first he was depth at Geelong, now the Dogs, he would easily get a game in most other sides.

I'm not sure if I agree with this statement.

Callan is at the point where he has shown he is a capable AFL player, but not a best 22 player. He has shown he can perform a role, is reliable and can be called on if needed, but he hasn't commanded a spot at AFL level. I think he is the sort of player who has reached their peak at AFL level, and the club has discovered that that peak isn't high enough to warrant regular selection.

He would be a depth player at any other club, and would not "easily" walk into any AFL sides. VFL yes, AFL no. Unfortunately he plays a role that can be filled by young players with more upside ie. Easton Wood or Harbrow. The top clubs have better players than him in his position, while from the middle clubs downwards they are looking to invest gametime into players who haven;t reached their peak yet. Callan wouldn't be on the list of a lower club, and unfortunately after this year probably won't be on one at all.

He's a good player, an honest player, but not an AFL quality player sadly.

GVGjr
29-07-2010, 11:20 PM
I sort of look at it more as the only way he would really know what the big show required was to see it himself. He saw it, and it made him understand exactly why guys like Cross and Morris work so hard. Not to give themselves an extra edge, just to make the grade alone!

I agree with you that it's not the one or two touches he had, it's the stuff that he couldn't do that others could that showed him what he needed to do. If that makes sense?

It's a good explanation and I could see how that would be a benefit. I would still think there must be a better way of getting the message across.

EasternWest
29-07-2010, 11:24 PM
It's a good explanation and I could see how that would be a benefit. I would still think there must be a better way of getting the message across.

I agree with you. But then again, we're two adults with the benefit of our glory days behind us. We have wisdom of experience on our side. Try telling a teenager they need to work harder, when they think they're going as hard as they can!

bornadog
30-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Giving Jones a game or two benefits him mentally which is the major human skill, even for AFL footballers. It gives him a chance to perceive, experience the coal face and then to reflect, plan and accept what he has gotten himself into. He then gestates over the break and preseason and is subconsciously more ready.
Either that or he fires up from the beginning and is a major factor in our premiership thrust. Ron James played his first game for Port Melbourne at 14 in the grand final, and there have been a few teenagers throughout the years who have been introduced late in the season and had big impacts in the finals.

I am pretty sure Ron James played for Willi under Terry Wheeler in the Grand Final versus Coburg under Phil Cleary.

FrediKanoute
30-07-2010, 01:29 AM

I think he played with Willy, but the point is taken!;)

Desipura
30-07-2010, 07:11 AM

I ask those same woofers if Hahn was picked to replace Ward would we still be too top heavy?
If they answer no, I would argue Jones has him covered for mobility and pace although not for strength and experience.

Desipura
30-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Grant was alot less ready to play than Jones who has by all reports producing at Williamstown for some 6-7 weeks.
I believe now that the MC have made the call to play Jones, who will be in the side for at least 2 weeks. A fiar effort to come into the side now given its at the business end of the season.

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Gee after watching last week surprised if Hansen plays.Well deserved inclusion Liam Jones I think the Eagle will play,just hope we don't go to top heavy.

I think we have seen the last of the Eagle barring many injuries I dont think he will play another game.

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 07:36 AM
It's certainly a concern.

We did this earlier in the season and then we had to reshuffle to get the structure and the run back, particularly in the backline.

Whilst i think Jones needs a game for experience sakes, Everitt would be unlucky to miss. He is doing everything asked of him to get a game other than kick a bag a goals or get 40 disposals. I think he's a better option than Williams but somehow Tom gets the nod on potential.

If we pump the ball inside 50 about 58 to 60 times which Im expecting, North wouldnt want
to leave Liam alone. His marking skills might just give him 4 or 5 shots on goal, if he doesnt get overawed I think we will be calling for him to stay in the side for a very long time come Sunday night. We think J.Grant has x factor this kid may just surpass all expectations by along way.

Timmy just played his 100th game for Willi I would be amazed if he was given another chance the game is just to quick now.

Mantis
30-07-2010, 09:08 AM

I don't.

Leading up to his first game last year Grant was talking himself up as he was in reasonable form at Willi and thought he was ready for an AFL debut.

Half way thru the 2nd qtr in this game he was cooked and after a poor 2nd half he was a broken man post-game as he had just realised how far away he actually was. While his form dropped further over the remaining rounds which meant he finished the year in the Willi 2's he has been able to rebound strongly.

The effect that the pre-season camp he went on with the army dude's shouldn't be under-estimated because throughout the camp he was pushed to the point of exhaustion, but kept finding more which probably proved to himself just how hard he can push himself and how much punishment his body can take. Even now on the field he looks at times to be physically spent, but he pushes on knowing that he still has energy reserves which is showing good mental strength.

Go_Dogs
30-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Try telling a teenager they need to work harder, when they think they're going as hard as they can!

I think this is a very good point.

Grant was not from an elite training background previously. He'd probably been about the best footy player the whole way through his junior career (school etc) without having to push himself very hard.

Learning to push through the pain isn't easy, and some people simply struggle do to it, even though physically they should be able to. It seems that Grant, and Everitt both,now have a better ability to push harder, above and beyond their usual, and once you start doing that, it becomes almost limitless how far, and quickly, you can move forward and how the body responds and changes.

Mofra
30-07-2010, 10:10 AM
True - or guys who are medium-height and slow. Grant at 192cm can play a leading/crumbing type role, whilst Hahn is shorter yet on 2010 form seems to make us too heavy in the F50.

If Jones has pace and a genuine desire for defensive efforts (and even early on this season at Willy, when he was a little off he seemed to have a desire to still impact on the contest, an excellent sign) I don't see his inclusion as a problem.
It may be a 1-2 game taste of senior action which is the modus operandi for Eade blooding youngsters anyway.

Mofra
30-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Timmy just played his 100th game for Willi I would be amazed if he was given another chance the game is just to quick now.
Even if Harbrow leaves for the GC? I think Timmy still has a bit to offer in a pure lockdown role, especially considering Murphy & Wood are excellent rebounders from the defensive 50. If the Brow stays he would be in trouble.

Mantis
30-07-2010, 10:16 AM
I sound like the champion for smalls over talls but it's all about the quality they offer.

Hall is a gun and Grant is as mobile as a medium forward. If Jones is good enough, there is no problem with playing two tall forwards.

What happens with resting ruck with this situation?

The Pie Man
30-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Even now on the field he looks at times to be physically spent, but he pushes on knowing that he still has energy reserves which is showing good mental strength.

I believe that's very true - I thought he looked a liitle fatigued at one point Sunday, but depsite that he kept pushing hard to make a contest, and ended up with 3 goals and 20 disposal for his efforts.

Axe Man
30-07-2010, 12:20 PM

He might have played 100 VFL games but I don't think he could have played 100 games for Willi in less than 3 years, especially considering he has also played 18 games for the dogs in that time. Amazing that he has played in 5 finals in just 18 games. I just realised his stats (ignoring his time at the cats) are very similar to Mark West (4 finals in 16 games).

EasternWest
30-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Even if Harbrow leaves for the GC? I think Timmy still has a bit to offer in a pure lockdown role, especially considering Murphy & Wood are excellent rebounders from the defensive 50. If the Brow stays he would be in trouble.

Probably true, though I think Callan is the kind of guy coaches like to have in the reserves. Works bloody hard and keeps others honest in competing for their spot. Provided he's not just clogging the list, which I don't think he is, then I think we should keep Tim on (I should say I am biased, Tim fits into my "desire overcoming ability" framework for being a favourite).

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 03:16 PM

Maybe left on the list until Howard and Tutt come through but not to play unless we are desperate Mofra.

Mofra
30-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Maybe left on the list until Howard and Tutt come through but not to play unless we are desperate Mofra.
Hooper has been playing forward though - at 172cm he could be exposed as a backman.
I think Tutt will take some time. Picken can play back at a pinch, Wood & Shaggy can play small as well. Obviously the ideal situation would be Harbrow staying of course :)

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 03:23 PM
He might have played 100 VFL games but I don't think he could have played 100 games for Willi in less than 3 years, especially considering he has also played 18 games for the dogs in that time. Amazing that he has played in 5 finals in just 18 games. I just realised his stats (ignoring his time at the cats) are very similar to Mark West (4 finals in 16 games).

Yea sorry Axe Man my mistake didn't consider his Geelong games mate. 5 finals in 18 games thats not a bad stat for him but we have many more options on the list this year (touch wood). Don't mention Mark West if he kicked straight wede have only been waiting 12 years for a flag instead of 50 odd. :D

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Howard has been playing forward though - at 172cm he could be exposed as a backman.I think Tutt will take some time. Picken can play back at a pinch, Wood & Shaggy can play small as well. Obviously the ideal situation would be Harbrow staying of course :)

Ok I didn't know Howard has been playing forward. Your right his height would be a worry. Yea makes me ill at the thought of losin The Brow.

Sockeye Salmon
30-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Howard has been playing forward though - at 172cm he could be exposed as a backman.
I think Tutt will take some time. Picken can play back at a pinch, Wood & Shaggy can play small as well. Obviously the ideal situation would be Harbrow staying of course :)

You write Howard but are talking about Hooper.

Howard is a 185cm half back.

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 03:36 PM

:) So does that meen Howard isnt being tried as a forward? I wasnt sure of his height.

Mofra
30-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Apologies, was responding to talk about Hooper as a defender.

divvydan
30-07-2010, 05:57 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS v NORTH MELBOURNE
Western Bulldogs
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
HB: Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
HF: Robert Murphy, Liam Jones, Brad Johnson
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Shaun Higgins
Foll: Ben Hudson, Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney
I/C: Daniel Giansiracusa, Brodie Moles, Jordan Roughead, Easton Wood
Emg: Dylan Addison, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt

In: Jones
Out: Callan Ward (hip)

New: Liam Jones (Tasmania U18)

North Melbourne
B: Michael Firrito, Scott Thompson, Brady Rawlings
HB: Jamie Macmillan, Josh Smith, Scott McMahon
C: Leigh Adams, Brent Harvey, Sam Wright
HF: Matt Campbell, Aaron Edwards, Ben Speight
F: Ben Cunnington, Lachlan Hansen, Lindsay Thomas
Foll: Hamish McIntosh, Andrew Swallow, Levi Greenwood
I/C: Ed Lower, Todd Goldstein, Marcus White, Leigh Harding
Emg: Ryan Bastinac, Brayden Norris, Gavin Urquhart

In: McMahon, Thomas, White, Wright
Out: David Hale, Gavin Urquhart, Ben Warren (back), Ryan Bastinac

New: Marcus White (Calder Cannons/rookie list)

EasternWest
30-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Seems fair. Would have been very unlucky for players to miss after last week.

I still think Higgins needs time out.

G-Mo77
30-07-2010, 07:13 PM
I still think Higgins needs time out.

I don't, I think he needs to work through it. He was carrying injuries early on and has missed some games on and off this year which has hurt him. I think stringing some games together is the best medicine.

If he is actually injured then I'd agree with you but there is no indication he is other than a couple of games were he hasn't been at his best.

EasternWest
30-07-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't, I think he needs to work through it. He was carrying injuries early on and has missed some games on and off this year which has hurt him. I think stringing some games together is the best medicine.

If he is actually injured then I'd agree with you but there is no indication he is other than a couple of games were he hasn't been at his best.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It seems to me that his movement is restricted - carrying something. Otherwise, I'd agree with you.

Rocco Jones
30-07-2010, 08:51 PM
What happens with resting ruck with this situation?

Good question.

Even I am finding my numerous posts on the part time ruck option tiresome but if Jones turns into a quality KP forward option we obviously really have to look at it. That being said I am a big fan of Roughead and think he will us more value in the 2nd ruck role than Jones will as a KP forward in the short term.

Perhaps we can plan to play our resting ruck forward while one of Jones or Hall are resting on the bench.

Hopefully it will be a great problem to have.