PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R18 Western Bulldogs vs North Melbourne

BulldogBelle
30-07-2010, 08:13 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Sunday afternoon's game at ES against North Melbourne.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 49 points
BOG : Adam Cooney
Shaun Higgins to kick the first goal

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Dogs by 42
BOG Cooney
First goal Harvey

lemmon
30-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Dogs by 87
BOG Cooney
First goal Jones

chef
30-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Doggies by 54
Lake BOG
Hall First Goal

Bumper Bulldogs
30-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Dogs by 72 points
Boyd BOG
Gia first Goal

Doggy
30-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Dogs by 101
BOG Griffin
First goal Jones

Throughandthrough
30-07-2010, 10:03 PM
dogs by twelve points in a crap game
Murph best on
First goal to huddo.

EasternWest
30-07-2010, 11:01 PM
I actually think we'll smash them.

Dogs by 78
BOG Hudson (so, so underrated)
First goal Gia

AndrewP6
31-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Dogs by 30
BOG Griff
First goal to Pickers

boydogs
31-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Dogs by 60
BOG Cooney
First Goal Jones

KT31
31-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Dogs by 55
BOG - Griff
First goal Grant

Greystache
31-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Dogs by 75
BOG- Cooney
First goal- Lake

LostDoggy
31-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Dogs by 35 points
BOG = Picken
Fist Goal = Grant

LostDoggy
31-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Dogs by 38
Bog: Hall
Fg: hall and hall to take Coleman medal lead:D

LostDoggy
31-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Ill be happy with a solid 5-6 goal win

Dogs by 33
BOG: Cooney
First Goal: Liam 'LJ' Jones (im gunna use LJ as his nickname I think)

bornadog
31-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Dogs by 99

First goal Brad

BOG Griffen

Dazza
31-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Dogs by 52

First goal Higgins

BOG Boyd

BulldogBelle
31-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Anybody know where i can see this on the net?

AndrewP6
31-07-2010, 10:07 PM
My family has it's own version of the world cup psychic octopus - my four year old nephew last week said Bazza would kick "4 or 7 goals"... and he kicked 4...today I asked, and at first said "3 or 8", later settling on "8"... here's hoping he's on the money!

LostDoggy
31-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Ground is not looking great.
Beale fell on his ass trying to slow down and a couple of scums tore up a decent patch in one of the forward fifties

LostDoggy
31-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Anybody know where i can see this on the net?

It wil be on channel 7 delayed

comrade
01-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm actually feeling uneasy about today.

After the emotional high of last week, I hope we don't have a let down. I'm also concerned about that bloody surface; those rugby meatheads tore it to shreds last night. Fingers crossed no one does an ankle on the patch up job.

The Pie Man
01-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm actually feeling uneasy about today.

After the emotional high of last week, I hope we don't have a let down. I'm also concerned about that bloody surface; those rugby meatheads tore it to shreds last night. Fingers crossed no one does an ankle on the patch up job.

I just want this game (and other seemingly winnable games) over so we can get on with the real stuff - I hope the players don't feel the same way! I think back to round 19 vs Weagles for parallels.

The group should have learned though, and you feel they're on their way to something big.

Dogs by 9 goals
Boyd BOG
Griffen first goal

LostDoggy
01-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Currently on Seven HD Footy Flashbacks - Dogs vs Roos Round 22 1998, awesome game.

LostDoggy
01-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Scott Wynd and Darcy... Mckernan.. Scott West... vintage archer
Grant one end, Carey the other both influential.

Dry Rot
01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Final teams: Harbrow out, Everitt in.

Wonder what's wrong with Harbrow?

Scorlibo
01-08-2010, 04:21 PM
We're playing like sh*t, so many mistakes, and looking flat. Cooney's been shut down, Harbrow is out, and without them we are lost for ideas.

The Coon Dog
01-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Final teams: Harbrow out, Everitt in.

Wonder what's wrong with Harbrow?

Shoulder, no idea how serious.

Saw Cal Ward earlier, said he should be right next week.

Dry Rot
01-08-2010, 04:31 PM
We're playing like sh*t, so many mistakes, and looking flat. Cooney's been shut down, Harbrow is out, and without them we are lost for ideas.

Agree with that - we should be putting away this team of mid table plodders and rookies. We're not the most accountable today.

Shoulder, no idea how serious.

Saw Cal Ward earlier, said he should be right next week.

Thanks. Glad they're resting him.

Dry Rot
01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Second half pleasing. Good to see young Jones in action, and very impressed with Roughead & Wood. Thought Moles went well and Higgins looked fitter.

LostDoggy
01-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Final quarter was scintillating football. Whether the Roos took the foot off he pedal, or the dogs put he foot down, credit is still due for that final term!

The Pie Man
01-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Big day, saw Jones' first goal (hopefully first of many) Baz has a day out and draws level in the Coleman, and I just became an uncle!

Go dogs!

Dry Rot
01-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Jones' "first goal" wasn't touched IMO. Congrats on unclehood.

chef
01-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Bit of a shame that the umpires missed it, but he looks a player so we are going to have plenty more goals from him to celebrate. Happy Days:):):)

cinder
01-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Great game Dogs, and I stand corrected about Williams, he did some good things today, so well done.

Glad we weren't playing at the G today!

Dry Rot
01-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Bit of a shame that the umpires missed it, but he looks a player so we are going to have plenty more goals from him to celebrate. Happy Days:):):)

Yes, very pleased about our ruck and tall forward stocks coming through.

All we need now is a small speedy crumber, and to draft some decent tall defenders.

LostDoggy
01-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Bad call from the goal ump....was a joke of a call...would love to see a reply of it tho....but from where i was(was right in front of me) he kicked it with his foot and it clearly went through for a goal.....

AndrewP6
01-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Good way to finish off what was, for a while a fairly uninspiring match. Early on, we were sloppy and inefficient - against a better side, we'd have been in trouble. Pleasing to see us pick it up as the game went on and pull away in the last. If I was coaching, I'd be putting some focus on tackling; I thought some Norf's players got away too easily.

Bazza was terrific today, not only kicking the majors himself, but giving it off to others, and using his body well. I thought he was disciplined, and didn't let the flogs get to him. Johnno I thought is moving better, and put in some nice kicks. Roughy is doing well, and looks the goods for the ruck in a couple of years. He can take a grab, moves well and has good anticipation. Wood had a good outing, he's prepared to take them on and back himself (a bit too keen at times though). Good game from Gia, career high I believe. Also got involved around the ground.

In all, great to have a big win again, but plenty to work on.

Hotdog60
01-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Bad call from the goal ump....was a joke of a call...would love to see a reply of it tho....but from where i was(was right in front of me) he kicked it with his foot and it clearly went through for a goal.....

I saw the replay on TV and in slow mo it was a goal.

AndrewP6
01-08-2010, 09:41 PM
just having a look at the pics on aflphotos.com.au - Julia Gillard in the team circle?? God, who's next? I want to know when DaDruid is going to get in there!

LostDoggy
01-08-2010, 09:43 PM
just having a look at the pics on aflphotos.com.au - Julia Gillard in the team circle?? God, who's next? I want to know when DaDruid is going to get in there!

She is hot.

AndrewP6
01-08-2010, 09:49 PM
She is hot.

I think I'd rather see DaDruid in there!

AndrewP6
01-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Memo to Bruce McAvaney... it's GIA. GIA. GIA.

comrade
01-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Thumbs down to Commetti who said our premiership window was actually a keyhole with such an ageing list. I don't have any issues with someone having a differing opinion but he even name checked Aker as an example of the quality we'll be losing.

He also made some bizarre comments about the 97 finals campaign and Darcy's article.

Got the feeling he might be one of Aker's text buddies.

LostDoggy
01-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Thumbs down to Commetti who said our premiership window was actually a keyhole with such an ageing list. I don't have any issues with someone having a differing opinion but he even name checked Aker as an example of the quality we'll be losing.

He also made some bizarre comments about the 97 finals campaign and Darcy's article.

I am usually a fan of Dennis but he made the point of letting everyone know he wasn't impressed with our big circle last week, I thought it was great, the club showing the footy public that we are united no matter what everyone says. Bad call Dennis.

chef
01-08-2010, 10:50 PM

He also had a go at us about the size of our circle last week(saying it was corny) singing the song and it being over one person. I always thought he had a soft spot for the Dogs but he must have bought Aker's crap.

EDIT: beat me to it Ted.

azabob
01-08-2010, 10:52 PM

He also has a go at our team song circle last week. RE the ageing list don't agree with that either.

AndrewP6
01-08-2010, 10:55 PM
He also had a go at us about the size of our circle last week(saying it was corny) singing the song and it being over one person. I always thought he had a soft spot for the Dogs but he must have bought Aker's crap.

EDIT: beat me to it Ted.

No comment! ;)

chef
01-08-2010, 10:56 PM
No comment! ;)

I actually thought of you when he said that:D.

Ghost Dog
01-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Did anyone mention Lidsay Gilbee's comments yet? I thought it sounded really odd!
Something like ' Oh, I'm sick and tired of all these events to celebrate Brad's last year, we are sick of it'
or words to that effect. At first I thought he was kidding, but his face was dead set serious....
His face had a really tired and kind of had this negative expression.

After it was played, one of the commentators noted "That didn't sound too good" or something similar.

Was really an awkward bit of footage.

Anyone else pick up on that?

chef
01-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Did anyone mention Lidsay Gilbee's comments yet? I thought it sounded really odd!
Something like ' Oh, I'm sick and tired of all these events to celebrate Brad's last year, we are sick of it'or words to that effect. At first I thought he was kidding, but his face was dead set serious....
Anyone else pick up on that? His face had a really tired and kind of negative expression.

He was joking.

azabob
01-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Something like ' Oh, I'm sick and tired of all these events to celebrate Brad's last year, we are sick of it'
or words to that effect. At first I thought he was kidding, but his face was dead set serious....
Anyone else pick up on that? His face had a really tired and kind of negative expression.

What was the question and context? When was it?

AndrewP6
01-08-2010, 11:08 PM

After it was played, one of the commentators noted "That didn't sound too good" or something similar.

Didn't see it, but I'm pretty confident in saying that he was more than likely joking...pulling the leg...playing funny buggers.

The best ones can do it straight-faced!

hujsh
02-08-2010, 12:30 AM

I thought it was pretty funny TBH. It was very dry and I can understand why people may not have got it. Heard it on Friday too and the commentators laughed at it then.

Stefcep
02-08-2010, 01:07 AM
What did people think of Everitt. I don't recall a single good thing he did. He makes a lot of BAD decisions, nearly everytime he gets that ball.

Remi Moses
02-08-2010, 01:23 AM

Umm think he might be kidding

Scorlibo
02-08-2010, 01:27 AM
What did people think of Everitt. I don't recall a single good thing he did. He makes a lot of BAD decisions, nearly everytime he gets that ball.

Thought he was a decent contributor, he didn't make many bad decisions :confused:

He seems to struggle to really make a mark on a game, just hovers in the teens in disposals.

Remi Moses
02-08-2010, 01:32 AM
I think I'd rather see DaDruid in there!

What's the problem with the PM being in the huddle!The person with the most important job in the country (aside from Rocket)being a passionate fan of the Dogs! Agree about Cometti sounded like a call from a bloke who resides on the other side of the country. Thought we were a bit flat today and played no risk footy,pleasing thing was when we took the game on they got mulcified:D

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 09:05 AM
What's the problem with the PM being in the huddle!The person with the most important job in the country (aside from Rocket)being a passionate fan of the Dogs! Agree about Cometti sounded like a call from a bloke who resides on the other side of the country. Thought we were a bit flat today and played no risk footy,pleasing thing was when we took the game on they got mulcified:D

I don't really have a problem with the PM being in the huddle, although at times she did look a little embarrassed by it all! We were a bit flat today, but when it counted, we stood up and smacked 'em. Keep the momentum going boys:D

Sockeye Salmon
02-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Everitt was very good. We'll see if he keeps his spot with Harbrow and Ward to come back in but I thought he did everything he could.

I'm struggling to remember a significant error he made all game? I thought he field kicking was 1st class.

Mantis
02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm struggling to remember a significant error he made all game? I thought he field kicking was 1st class.

2 that come to mind was a poor handball to Wood (a little behind him) which resulted in a North goal and a poor kick into our F50 that hit a North player lace-out, but Gilbee's poor kick to Skinny made him rush the kick a little.

I too thought that Everitt was good and his ability to spot up players in congested areas was excellent.

EasternWest
02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
2 that come to mind was a poor handball to Wood (a little behind him) which resulted in a North goal and a poor kick into our F50 that hit a North player lace-out, but Gilbee's poor kick to Skinny made him rush the kick a little.

I too thought that Everitt was good and his ability to spot up players in congested areas was excellent.

He also dribbled one to Higgins off the half back line. But what I did think was good about that was that as soon as he saw he'd duffed it, he took off after it to create a runner for Higgins.

I too thought he did fine today.

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I was really happy with Barry Hall not getting sucked in by those grubs Thompson & Firrito. Gia (NOT GIAN BRUCE!!!! :mad:) had a great game and I thought Johnno looked like his old self for a lot of the game too. :)

Murphy'sLore
02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
(NOT GIAN BRUCE!!!! :mad:)

For some reason my sister-in-law insists on calling him "Gira." :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I love (read: hate) how we play a flat game, but still manage to beat them by 71 points when we do let rip, and the media call us flat-track bullies and unconvincing, but when Geelong do that, it's just another example of their holy excellence.

chef
02-08-2010, 02:11 PM
For some reason my sister-in-law insists on calling him "Gira." :rolleyes:

My wife calls him 'hot pants':D

mighty_west
02-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I love (read: hate) how we play a flat game, but still manage to beat them by 71 points when we do let rip, and the media call us flat-track bullies and unconvincing, but when Geelong do that, it's just another example of their holy excellence.

I agree, i actually think yesterdays win was better than the Freo game, even though Freo were 4th at the time, they didn't play as a top 4 side, they just didn't seem to apply alot of pressure on us, compare that to North yesterday, tried to play that zone game on us, really applied the pressure, and worked for a half.

The way we got out of that, and then put on the afterburners to come away with such a big win, was a really big positive, and yes, had that been Geelong and not us, everyone would have been full of praise and put it all down to Geelongs mental toughness & overall brilliance.

Sockeye Salmon
02-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I thought we were all over them all day, even early on, we just butchered half a dozen guilt-edged chances by trying to be too perfect.

North would have been 7 down at 1/2 time if we weren't lairising.

mjp
02-08-2010, 05:58 PM
I thought we were all over them all day, even early on, we just butchered half a dozen guilt-edged chances by trying to be too perfect.

North would have been 7 down at 1/2 time if we weren't lairising.

Agree. North had a good 10 minutes early in the 3rd q but that was about it.

Hot_Doggies
02-08-2010, 06:00 PM

We havent beaten anyone this year. I think the 'flat track bully' tag is fair.

bornadog
02-08-2010, 06:41 PM
We havent beaten anyone this year. I think the 'flat track bully' tag is fair.

Can't agree, we have beaten Freo, Carlton, Hawthorn who are below us. Above us we haven't played Geelong and we showed that we can beat the Saints. Only Collingwood have beaten us twice.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Everitt played well IMO. Looked much more comfortable roaming around HF and pushing up the ground, as opposed to playing down back or on a wing. I really hope we persist - I've been pushing for us to play Andrejs up forward all year, and I was pleased to see him deliver. He hasn't had much practice in this role, either - so he should only get better.

Tommy Williams was very impressive too. I'm a harsh critic of his and he still is yet to perform against the better sides, but he played well and looks to be improving by the week. His ball use is pretty good and his decision making has definitely improved. He's not getting caught out of position as much and is using his pace to keep close check of his opponents. Thought he looked pretty confident out there yesterday, and his goal was good - showed some impressive pace.

Williams has been good in the ruck lately too. Also used him up forward for a bit which I like. I think he might be becoming a good player - but of course, he needs to perform against the likes of Geelong.

EasternWest
02-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Everitt played well IMO. Looked much more comfortable roaming around HF and pushing up the ground, as opposed to playing down back or on a wing. I really hope we persist - I've been pushing for us to play Andrejs up forward all year, and I was pleased to see him deliver. He hasn't had much practice in this role, either - so he should only get better.

Tommy Williams was very impressive too. I'm a harsh critic of his and he still is yet to perform against the better sides, but he played well and looks to be improving by the week. His ball use is pretty good and his decision making has definitely improved. He's not getting caught out of position as much and is using his pace to keep close check of his opponents. Thought he looked pretty confident out there yesterday, and his goal was good - showed some impressive pace.

Williams has been good in the ruck lately too. Also used him up forward for a bit which I like. I think he might be becoming a good player - but of course, he needs to perform against the likes of Geelong.

I agree on Williams. Looks like pinch hitting in the ruck comes pretty naturally to him. And he definitely continues to improve as a total package. And maybe our best forward line crumber :D.

AndrewP6
02-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Maybe I'm old-fashioned - IMO it should be players, coaches and that's it. Or at least insist that those in the circle know the words to the song. :)

AndrewP6
02-08-2010, 08:23 PM
My wife calls him 'hot pants':D

Woman at work just calls him 'hot'...

Stefcep
02-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Everitt was very good. We'll see if he keeps his spot with Harbrow and Ward to come back in but I thought he did everything he could.

There were several turnovers from him, and passing to a player under pressure. Just bad decision-making.

He's lacks "football smarts".

I don't think he's in the best 22, despite so many wanting him to be.

Just my $0.02

LostDoggy
03-08-2010, 12:13 AM

Plays game number 50 this week, been a long wait :)

wend1604
03-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Woman at work just calls him 'hot'...

A colleague of mine was at a cafe in Yarraville recently and Gia was at the next table. She was raving about how gorgeous he is even though she is an Essendon supporter :D

I was also very impressed and pleased with Gia's and Johnno's performance on Sunday.

Mantis
03-08-2010, 09:24 AM
I was also very impressed and pleased with Gia's and Johnno's performance on Sunday.

It was better, but he lined up on a 2nd gamer so one would hope he would win that battle.

EasternWest
03-08-2010, 09:40 AM
It was better, but he lined up on a 2nd gamer so one would hope he would win that battle.

I think maybe people are referring to the fact that he moved a lot better than he had for a while.

always right
03-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Can't agree, we have beaten Freo, Carlton, Hawthorn who are below us. Above us we haven't played Geelong and we showed that we can beat the Saints. Only Collingwood have beaten us twice.

The fact is until we beat Geelong, Saints and Collingwood in a pressure game, people will justifiably havev their doubts about us.

I don't care. To me it's more about how we're playing rather than who we've beaten. I love the way we are building and I love the look of our side since we brought in Wood and Roughead and pushed Murphy back. It has re-vitalised the side and they look as dangerous now as they've been for three years. We've improved our pace, our flexibility and performance. Now it's time to finish strongly and enter the finals in peak form.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I agree on Williams. Looks like pinch hitting in the ruck comes pretty naturally to him. And he definitely continues to improve as a total package. And maybe our best forward line crumber :D.

We should remould him as a Steve Johnston type.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-08-2010, 01:02 PM

We should remould him as a Steve Johnston type

Stefcep
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
The fact is until we beat Geelong, Saints and Collingwood in a pressure game, people will justifiably havev their doubts about us.

I don't care. To me it's more about how we're playing rather than who we've beaten. I love the way we are building and I love the look of our side since we brought in Wood and Roughead and pushed Murphy back. It has re-vitalised the side and they look as dangerous now as they've been for three years. We've improved our pace, our flexibility and performance. Now it's time to finish strongly and enter the finals in peak form.

He could be anything this kid. he's go the athleticism, moves well, good footbal brain, can mark, kicking has a solid foundation but needs to improve. Could play as ruck, or a 70+ goal forward. IMO THE most exciting young prospect we have.

Desipura
03-08-2010, 02:56 PM
He could be anything this kid. he's go the athleticism, moves well, good footbal brain, can mark, kicking has a solid foundation but needs to improve. Could play as ruck, or a 70+ goal forward. IMO THE most exciting young prospect we have.

Whilst I believe Roughead will be a very good long term player, it will be as a ruckman resting as a forward. There is no way he will kick 70 goals in a season as a forward, he just does not have the pace off the mark to get them on a lead. You cannot just rely on taking contested marks as a forward.

Stefcep
03-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Whilst I believe Roughead will be a very good long term player, it will be as a ruckman resting as a forward. There is no way he will kick 70 goals in a season as a forward, he just does not have the pace off the mark to get them on a lead. You cannot just rely on taking contested marks as a forward.

Paul Salmon-was he quicker?

Desipura
03-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Paul Salmon-was he quicker?

Oh you mean when he kicked all those goals some 25 years ago? Good comeback:rolleyes:
I think the game has changed since then dont you? Salmon was not slow on a lead.

Stefcep
03-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Oh you mean when he kicked all those goals some 25 years ago? Good comeback:rolleyes:
I think the game has changed since then dont you? Salmon was not slow on a lead.

Whatever.

I think he has enough assets o play as a key forward as well as a ruck.

Desipura
03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Whatever.

I think he has enough assets o play as a key forward as well as a ruck.
I agree.