PDA

View Full Version : Round 18 Talk

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Come on Bombers, do everyone a favour.

angelopetraglia
30-07-2010, 09:34 PM
What is going on 81-24 lead to the Bombers at the 23rd min 3Q?

Remi Moses
30-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Tonights result shows how ordinary Stkilda's bottom 6 are!
They'll leave Knights alone this week

Ghost Dog
30-07-2010, 11:06 PM
That's good for us. Some big cracks in Saints side might show us the way.

Dry Rot
30-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Bad day at the office or have saints played three crook games in a row and on a slide?

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Saints have played ordinary football for three weeks. Smashed against Collingwood and were very lucky to leave with a draw last week. Having said that, nobody saw tonight's result coming. The end score flattered St. Kilda.

What's interesting is that if we win on Sunday, we are only two points behind St. Kilda in third spot. They have an easy draw aside from Adelaide at Aami in Round 22, whilst we play Geelong and also Adelaide away.

Remi Moses
31-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Noticeable things out of tonights game
1. How much better the Bombres look with David Hille out there
2. Stkilda are getting poleaxed in the clearances
3. Teams are separating the Saints back 6 and Gilbert and Fisher are being made accountable

GVGjr
31-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Noticeable things out of tonights game
1. How much better the Bombres look with David Hille out there

They have a good ruck duo because both Hille and Ryder can push forward and take a grab.

GVGjr
31-07-2010, 06:52 AM
Bad day at the office or have saints played three crook games in a row and on a slide?

Hard to say but I still think they are a very good side. A few weeks ago it was inconceivable to think they wouldn't make the top 4.

chef
31-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Hard to say but I still think they are a very good side. A few weeks ago it was inconceivable to think they wouldn't make the top 4.

They are, but since Riewoldt has come back in the side they have gone off the boil. Maybe they have become a little complacent with their star back in the team or they could be loading up at training ATM?

FlightoftheCallanWards
31-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Saints have played ordinary football for three weeks. Smashed against Collingwood and were very lucky to leave with a draw last week. Having said that, nobody saw tonight's result coming. The end score flattered St. Kilda.

What's interesting is that if we win on Sunday, we are only two points behind St. Kilda in third spot. They have an easy draw aside from Adelaide at Aami in Round 22, whilst we play Geelong and also Adelaide away.

Dont forget the very average win over Brisbane (admittedly was Nick's first game back).

Yes this has made things interesting. Pretty easy draw for the Saints but many would have been saying easy win before last night. If they can somehow drop the North one (extremely doubtful but it happened last year :D) then our chances go up dramatically. I reckon that they may drop one game for the rest of the year (probs Adelaide), meaning we have to win all 5.

If only they had have lost last week!

LostDoggy
31-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't think it is likely they will drop out of the top 4 (but I wish they would), but I have to admit to some perverse pleasure in seeing them getting beaten at this end of the season (is that wrong???):o

craigsahibee
31-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't think it is likely they will drop out of the top 4 (but I wish they would), but I have to admit to some perverse pleasure in seeing them getting beaten at this end of the season (is that wrong???):o

Not at all. I take pleasure in seeing everyone other than us get beaten no matter what time of the year it is. I even enjoy other teams getting beaten on Fox Sports replays in January.

Rocco Jones
31-07-2010, 12:01 PM
They have a good ruck duo because both Hille and Ryder can push forward and take a grab.

I go on and on about the worth of a having a ruck duo that compliments eachother.

Hille and Ryder are truly a ruck duo that is worth more than the sum of it's parts.

LostDoggy
31-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Wow just saw a play from Hawks v Port where Franklin picked up from the boundary line, handballed to young I believe, 40 out, kept running up, went through 2 more hawks hands, sewell got it back to Buddy who slotted it from 15 out. The guy doesn't stop..whereas Chaplin just lagged behind and gave up. Port are stupid to think they can win if they let Buddy do what he wishes.

Before I Die
31-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Why don't media outlets require that their commentators/experts know the rules of the game? On Channel 10, Blight, Darcy, Christian and Hudson are all accusing a boundary umpire of a monumental error because the ball has bounced outside the boundary line and not been called out. But the ball was leaning back towards the boundary line when it bounced and then subsequently bounced back into the field of play. If any part of the ball remained in play, ie it was inside the outside edge of the line (just a millimeter is sufficient) then the whole ball is deemed to have stayed in play. In this case it is quite possible that even though the lower tip of the ball where it bounced is over the line, the upper tip of the ball stayed in play. This would mean that the umpire was correct to call play on. Of course it does depend on your line of sight, but that is the case for every decision.

The Pie Man
31-07-2010, 04:59 PM
If we win tomorrow, we would've been third if not for St Kilda pinching a draw last week.

Flamethrower
31-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Just watching the Hawks and Port - Cyril has lost the plot - throw punches all over the place.

And now Buddy is in there going after Brogan.

We are all set for a huge last quarter.

comrade
31-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Go port!

The Pie Man
31-07-2010, 05:50 PM
^^ Dawks off our tail - sweeeet

comrade
31-07-2010, 05:52 PM
^^ Dawks off our tail - sweeeet

Hopefully Cyril and co get weeks and the wheels fall off. Now all we need is to get over the line against North and the Weegles to pull one out of their jaxy in the Derby!

Remi Moses
31-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Thankfully this media driven B/S about The Dorks being the big threat outside the top 3 will now end!Port are showing some form and throughly deserved it. Just wondering how much last weeks draw took out of both sides.

The Pie Man
01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Thankfully this media driven B/S about The Dorks being the big threat outside the top 3 will now end!Port are showing some form and throughly deserved it. Just wondering how much last weeks draw took out of both sides.

Fair question - look at how both Hawthorn & us played the week following our round 3 clash against Collingwood & Brisbane respectively.

chef
01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Albert Prouds haircut was a little different last night:D

Flamethrower
01-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Fremantle are smashing West Coast - the flat track bullies go missing when playing real top 4 contenders though. It wouldn't surprise me if North rolled them at Etihad next week.

boydogs
01-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Fremantle are smashing West Coast - the flat track bullies go missing when playing real top 4 contenders though. It wouldn't surprise me if North rolled them at Etihad next week.

I still think its a travelling thing more than an opposition thing

bornadog
01-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Is it time for woosher to go?

Bulldog Revolution
02-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Is it time for woosher to go?

Was it ever time for him to stay?

One of the worst coaches with a premiership to his name in recent history.

chef
02-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Hard to believe the Lions now sit 2ND last on the ladder.

And Cyril's a lucky boy to be only missing two weeks.

mjp
03-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Was it ever time for him to stay?

One of the worst coaches with a premiership to his name in recent history.

Harsh.

A bit inflexible but that insistence on playing one-on-one footy - in an era where every coach was starting extras in the defensive half (pre- Hawthorn zone) - probably won them the grand final (and nearly won them 2). I think West Coast and Sydney both pinched flags during a bit of a void in the AFL system (post- Brisbane/Port, pre- Cats) where there was no super talented team, but they still count.

For all the talk about it being done on the back of Judd, Kerr, Cousins, Cox and Worsfold being 'lucky', he did do it without a forward of note and played a style suited to his playing group.

As an aside, it isn't like ANY of the members of that great midfield group have exactly kicked on (from a team perspective) since Cousins went off the rails and Judd went too Carlton.

Bulldog Revolution
04-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Harsh.

Maybe it was too harsh, but its no fun if nobody ever goes out on the ledge

And even if it is harsh, is it a reasonable assessment - how will his coaching career look compared to recent premiership coaches; Thomson, Clarkson, Roos, Williams, Mathews.

Is he a coach that had a brief moment when the stars aligned, and the job has looked above him for a 2-3 seasons?

Would you be looking for a new coach if you were the Eagles?

Does he really have a coherent plan?

mjp
05-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Would you be looking for a new coach if you were the Eagles?

I would always being looking for a new coach, regardless of the circumstances. I would like to see clubs continually trawling through state league coaches, recently retired players etc and trying to figure out it might be worth getting in. You can't have too many talented people at the club.

In terms of replacing Worsfold, maybe what he is good at is not the same thing he is committing most of his time too? A Geelong style review wouldn't go astray.

Does he really have a coherent plan?

I think he has two plans - the one he believes in and the one he is trying to implement. He is confused and the players look even more confused...