PDA

View Full Version : Gia on "One week at a time" on ONE

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 12:34 AM
For anyone who has digital TV Daniel Giansiracusa MR 5 Goals (Round 18) will be on one week at at time which starts at 9:30 tomorrow (Monday night). It'll be great to see the banter between him and Luke especially. Even Luke seems genuinely excited about what the teams doing, given that he's writing in the press about how he believe's Terry Wallace squandered our chances in 97.

Should be great viewing really. Does Gia do much other media? Anyway tune in or get a relative to tape it for you.

GO DOGS!!!!

The Coon Dog
02-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks SotS, should be good to hear Gia.

Be interesting if the panel try to get him to talk about what went on with Aker.

chef
02-08-2010, 09:21 AM
It will be interesting to hear Darcy explain his comments about Wallet too.

cinder
02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks, will make sure I tune in.
Yes I didn't get Darc's article and comments, guess he just has to make some headlines.

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will tune in also. :)

Sedat
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
If the OWAAT guys do a little research, they might realise that Gia has a record against North Melbourne every bit as dominating as Brent Harvey used to have against us, or Lenny Hayes still does against us. It is very amusing to see North fans who denigrade Gia for being some sort of light weight continue to see him have a field day every time we play them. He's been carving them up for close to half a dozen matches in a row now - even when we were losing against them Gia was our best player (Johnno after the siren game a classic example).

Ozza
02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Gia's two efforts near the boundary in the 1st and 3rd quarters when outnumbered yesterday were outstanding. Good to see him get some reward for his efforts with 5 goals. He does a lot of work that goes unnoticed - like regularly leading up 100 metres to the wing to create space and options for others...so it was great for him to get a chance to cash in.

AndrewP6
02-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Very interesting to hear Gia discuss the details of leadership group meetings, and of the feedback given during the Leading Teams meetings...mentioned how things are easier without Aker, and repeated the 'we've moved on' mantra. Also he spoke of how he was told he had to put his head over the ball more. Interesting to hear disclosure of inner sanctum goings-on.

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Was very adamant that leading teams has helped the team. He believed it made all the players accountable and as Brad Johnson was first to step up to the plate to set the example. A very good show IMO I remember the Barry Hall interview last year made me feel confident that when we drafted him that it was definately the right thing to do. It's definately paid off.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Gia did a great job, especially enjoyed his explanation on leading teams and the processes they go through. Thought he spoke really well, and was also interested in the work with the Oakleigh Chargers he does away from the club.

I'd like to see him do more media work.

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Leading teams was it "Things to "Stop" doing, things to "Keep" and thing to "Improve"" was how leading teams works????

The footage they showed of him at the Chargers was also interesting. Makes you think how that development of himself would serve him well as future captain and further again a coach of some sort.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Leading teams was it "Things to "Stop" doing, things to "Keep" and thing to "Improve"" was how leading teams works????

The footage they showed of him at the Chargers was also interesting. Makes you think how that development of himself would serve him well as future captain and further again a coach of some sort.

* Stop (doing --)

* Start (doing --)

* Keep (doing --)

Gia's example was that he was asked to improve his defensive game and put his head over the ball. He was told to keep working hard, as they saw this as a strong asset of his. Johnno's was that too often he tried to do everything himself/win the game alone, and as a result he's worked on the scoring assists of his game - an area he admittedly has improved dramatically in.

LostDoggy
03-08-2010, 07:07 AM
.mentioned how things are easier without Aker, and repeated the 'we've moved on' mantra....

That was the question put to him rather than his offering. he didn't really respond to it, either way, just relied on the mantra. My guess is that the players have decided or been instructed not to talk about the Aker situation.

Hearing Carey mention the untouchable elite group, Smith, West Johnson, Grant, Darcy etc and putting the blame for '97 on the players (couldn't score a goal in the last quarter of a prelim), is a reminder of where the club has been and, in part, still is, still falter in the last quarters in big matches - last year's relim, this year's St Kilda and Hawthorn matches. Darce played in the '97 prelim and did nothing in the last quarter. He needs to express himself more clearly. It's one thing to to endorse leading teams, it's another to bag Wallace who, whatever his faults, got the club to t he prelim and didn't play in the last quarter.

LostDoggy
03-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Thought Gia handled himself very well, and it was interesting to hear more about the Leading Teams aspect. I wonder if all the playing group feel as comfortable with it as Gia? I think, whatever works....... I would like to think that the way they go about it is as respectful as possible. We all need constructive critiscim now and then, and it is a mark of a person's maturity how they take that on board (IMO only!)

Desipura
03-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Very interesting to hear Gia discuss the details of leadership group meetings, and of the feedback given during the Leading Teams meetings...mentioned how things are easier without Aker, and repeated the 'we've moved on' mantra. Also he spoke of how he was told he had to put his head over the ball more.

That is very interesting....a number of people have questioned his hardness whilst others though it was total crap. Well I think the players have spoken.

always right
03-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Without going over old ground, did anyone not feel a little uncomfortable when Gia started talking about he discussions within the group about what feedback he and Johnno received? I support the decision the club made on Aker wholeheartedly but I thought the "leak" from Gia did smack more than a little of hypocrisy. It did make for great television mind you.

Greystache
03-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Hearing Aker comparing the leading teams process to work place bullying just makes you realise how little analytical ability he really has, anyone who works in a mid level role or higher in the corporate world face these types of meetings regularly.

The process is usually called 360 degree reviews, or traffic light reviews. They follow the same Stop, Start, Continue method.

I had one about 3 months ago, I was told among other things, Stop- being dismissive of less capable colleagues, Start taking time out more often to assess the bigger picture and review processes, Continue being approachable in regard to colleagues asking for market or client information.

High level management 360 degree reviews are nothing short of brutal, if Aker thinks he was being bullied it just shows how sheltered his workplace has been from the hardcore world.

LostDoggy
03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
That is very interesting....a number of people have questioned his hardness whilst others though it was total crap. Well I think the players have spoken.

I got the impression though that this was quite some time ago, and imo is something Gia
has largely rectified in the last two years.

Topdog
03-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Without going over old ground, did anyone not feel a little uncomfortable when Gia started talking about he discussions within the group about what feedback he and Johnno received? I support the decision the club made on Aker wholeheartedly but I thought the "leak" from Gia did smack more than a little of hypocrisy. It did make for great television mind you.

I really hope you are joking.

always right
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I really hope you are joking.

So you don't see anything consistent about bagging Aker for leaking details of a Leading Teams meeting to Sam Newman, but being okay about Gia providing details of the exact sort of meeting to Robert Walls?

I'm not overly fussed.....just think it a little inconsistent.

bornadog
03-08-2010, 03:05 PM
So you don't see anything consistent about bagging Aker for leaking details of a Leading Teams meeting to Sam Newman, but being okay about Gia providing details of the exact sort of meeting to Robert Walls?

I'm not overly fussed.....just think it a little inconsistent.

Big Big difference. Aka leaked information on him not playing and the reasons he wasn't playing. Gia was just talking about feedback given by the group, nothing to do with game plans, who is in who is out etc.

LostDoggy
03-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Good to hear Huddo is giving him some grief over his fall to number 3 on the list of easy on eye players. Gia seems like he would spend some time in front of a mirror!! ;)

divvydan
03-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Speaking of Gia, is anyone else getting a Facebook advert involving Gia?

My page has one and title is;

Get Texts from GIA!

and then says

Receive personal msg's directly from DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA. All Msg's are guaranteed to be written & sent by GIA! - Get close & personal!

:confused: What is this? If it's not genuine and I suspect it's not, does the club know about it and should they if they don't?

always right
03-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Big Big difference. Aka leaked information on him not playing and the reasons he wasn't playing. Gia was just talking about feedback given by the group, nothing to do with game plans, who is in who is out etc.

Actually Aker leaked that he was put on a chair in front of the group and grilled. There was a lot of angst that Cooney was forced to answer Newman on the Footy Show about what transpired. Imagine if Aker had revealed that Johnno had been told that he needed to be less selfish or that Gia had been told that he needed to put his head over the ball more? There would have been an outcry.

Let me re-state...I fully support what the club did in regard to Aker. i just think Gia's openess (although welcome) revealed some double standards when it comes to divulging information.

Mantis
03-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Actually Aker leaked that he was put on a chair in front of the group and grilled. There was a lot of angst that Cooney was forced to answer Newman on the Footy Show about what transpired. Imagine if Aker had revealed that Johnno had been told that he needed to be less selfish or that Gia had been told that he needed to put his head over the ball more? There would have been an outcry.

Let me re-state...I fully support what the club did in regard to Aker. i just think Gia's openess (although welcome) revealed some double standards when it comes to divulging information.

I thought that on a real 'footy show' Gia's examples gave the discussion and the value of the leading teams program more weight.

At first I thought that Gia should have only discussed what was said about himself in such a forum, but assuming Johnson was ok in what was said I have no problem with it at all.

Greystache
03-08-2010, 04:20 PM

You'd have to think the club expected the question given Darcy's article over the weekend, the club probably sat down with Gia and gave him approval to use those examples.

always right
03-08-2010, 04:26 PM
You'd have to think the club expected the question given Darcy's article over the weekend, the club probably sat down with Gia and gave him approval to use those examples.

Yeah..I guess that's the key. It can't be a leak if the club authorised the player to reveal the information.

mighty_west
03-08-2010, 04:33 PM

I think it's the whole point of it all that is the difference, and Aker does have a history of breaking the groups trust, on it's own, not a biggie, but put 4,5,6 or so minor issues together, it starts become a real problem, especially warned each & everytime.

Had Gia told someone like Sam Newman & Steve Price, 2 shock jocks that feed off info like this [big leak], i'm sure he would have found himself in the doghouse....sp to speak.

Greystache
03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Yeah..I guess that's the key. It can't be a leak if the club authorised the player to reveal the information.

I'd like to think the club is proactive enough that it would be the case. Gia sitting there and saying no comment would make us look amateur and weak, and Gia is too professional to speak out of turn. I thought he came across as honest and to the point.

Scorlibo
03-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Also he spoke of how he was told he had to put his head over the ball more.

That's interesting because on Sunday it was very noticable how hard and fierce Gia was at the contest, especially early on, this was no doubt him responding to the group discussions.

AndrewP6
03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Imagine if Aker had revealed that Johnno had been told that he needed to be less selfish or that Gia had been told that he needed to put his head over the ball more? There would have been an outcry.

i just think Gia's openess (although welcome) revealed some double standards when it comes to divulging information.

I agree with this...

immortalmike
03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
That's interesting because on Sunday it was very noticable how hard and fierce Gia was at the contest, especially early on, this was no doubt him responding to the group discussions.

I think he was speaking about the initial meeting that was held when 'leading teams' was put into place in 2008, Gia has been very good at the tough stuff for years unfortunately I think much of it has gone unnoticed due to the fact that his lack of leg speed impedes him getting to a lot of contests and that he is seen as a bit of a pretty boy. In fact if you notice since 2008 Brad Johnson's average goal assists have steadily overtaken his goals kicked while Gia has upped his tackle count immensely this year after a poor season (tackle-wise) last year and roughly half his possessions have been contested.

comrade
03-08-2010, 07:41 PM
I agree with this...

Of course you would.

BulldogBelle
03-08-2010, 08:20 PM
There is a similarity between Gia's and Acne's revelations regarding Leading Teams. They both spoke of what could be considered confidential matters.

Ance's revelations were selfish and destructive, this is best illustrated by Sam Newman's comment that a grilled participant may go out afterwards and neck themselves. They were comments that were intended to damage the club whilst promoting himself.

Gia's revelations came out after Arek's comments and were meant to heal the bridges that Akre had caused regarding the club and the Leading Teams system. He gave examples of good that it had done and was not self promotional, and Gia is a club leader.

So, in summary, Acke put the club down, Gia, who is a team leader, raised the club up.

EasternWest
03-08-2010, 09:48 PM
My head just asploded JC, as you knew it would, you diabolical genius.

FrediKanoute
03-08-2010, 10:53 PM

Further Gia has spoken with the approval of the playing group and not privately to a "friend" in the media business who will use the information to their advantage......

Scraggers
04-08-2010, 01:36 AM
I'd like to think the club is proactive enough that it would be the case. Gia sitting there and saying no comment would make us look amateur and weak, and Gia is too professional to speak out of turn. I thought he came across as honest and to the point.

Whilst I agree that Gia did come across as honest and to the point, the stumble at the first question re Aker / Leading Teams was very noticable.

chef
04-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Whilst I agree that Gia did come across as honest and to the point, the stumble at the first question re Aker / Leading Teams was very noticable.

I don't think he stumbled, more that he was choosing his words very carefully.

LostDoggy
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Good to hear Huddo is giving him some grief over his fall to number 3 on the list of easy on eye players. Gia seems like he would spend some time in front of a mirror!! ;)

And to be just a little sexist - he is easy on the eye (read eye-candy!) Have read other posts that Gia is Hot!!!! Who is No.1 and No.2 on that list I wonder?

The Coon Dog
04-08-2010, 11:35 AM
And to be just a little sexist - he is easy on the eye (read eye-candy!) Have read other posts that Gia is Hot!!!! Who is No.1 and No.2 on that list I wonder?

Here is the top 10:

1 Ben Cousins (Richmond) 9.8%

2 Jimmy Bartel (Geelong) 8.5

3 Daniel Giansiracusa (Western Bulldogs) 5.2

4 Luke Hodge (Hawthorn) 3.3

5 Lance Franklin (Hawthorn) 3.3

6 Josh Gibson (Hawthorn) 3.2

7 Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda) 2.5

8 Simon Black (Brisbane Lions) 2.5

9 Dale Thomas (Collingwood) 2.1

10 Andrew Walker (Carlton) 1.9

Source (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousins-the-afls-sexiest-player/story-fn60xo8t-1225894289328)

LostDoggy
04-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Coon Dog - boy, Nick the Diver, and Daisy Thomas - what were the judges thinking??????:rolleyes: The others are passable I guess! I have to admit - I've always had a pic of Gia on my noticeboard at work (in a suit from one of the AFL calendars years ago). Many have asked....."why do you have the photo of Rob Lowe on your board??".

EasternWest
04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Here is the top 10:

Source (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousins-the-afls-sexiest-player/story-fn60xo8t-1225894289328)

Nick Riewoldt looks like a llama.

LostDoggy
04-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Here is the top 10:

Is that your personal list TCD ;)

Murphy'sLore
04-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Ha ha ha, good call! :D

Cannot believe he made it onto this list (though I'm sure his mum thinks he's a handsome lad...)

LostDoggy
04-08-2010, 02:09 PM
That list is pretty appalling, but I've always been told I have weird taste...they're just jealous though.

I thought Gia was great, he explained the Leading Teams situation really well- I understand that everybody handles things differently, but if Gia can handle being told to put his head over the ball more (probably not the easiest thing for a man to hear, I guess) and really work on it, then Aker should have been able to handle a bit of constructive criticism as well. I also liked seeing him coach, some of it was pretty funny.

Murphy'sLore
04-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I also liked seeing him coach, some of it was pretty funny.

I loved the bit where he yelled at one of the boys, "Come on, you're a Bulldogs supporter, you've gotta do better than that!"

Curly5
04-08-2010, 02:38 PM

Good looking guys aren't necessarily vain. Huddo would soon knock it out of anyone, if so! :D

I think James Cuming summed it up perfectly. Aker was out to damage the club and promote himself with his poor-me description of the leading teams process. But Gia gave a balanced view of what happens in the situation. He was also willing to admit to having faults that he is addressing. Did Aker?

Has anyone noticed that Aker's media interviews/columns seem to lack substance now? He must be really scratching around for material.

Dancin' Douggy
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
There is a similarity between Gia's and Acne's revelations regarding Leading Teams. They both spoke of what could be considered confidential matters.

Ance's revelations were selfish and destructive, this is best illustrated by Sam Newman's comment that a grilled participant may go out afterwards and neck themselves. They were comments that were intended to damage the club whilst promoting himself.

Gia's revelations came out after Arek's comments and were meant to heal the bridges that Akre had caused regarding the club and the Leading Teams system. He gave examples of good that it had done and was not self promotional, and Gia is a club leader.

So, in summary, Acke put the club down, Gia, who is a team leader, raised the club up.

Very, very funny

LostDoggy
04-08-2010, 07:18 PM

My thoughts exactly!:D

AndrewP6
04-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Here is the top 10:

A bit of a worry you were able to come up with the list so readily, TCD!!!;)

ledge
05-08-2010, 01:13 PM

How many different ways can you spel Aker??:D

ledge
05-08-2010, 01:14 PM

How many different ways can you spell Aker??:D

azabob
05-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Nearly as many times as you quote the same post. ;)

LostDoggy
05-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Haha. Funny that James had 5 go's at it and none of them were right. And it's only 4 letters with the first one a given :D

EasternWest
06-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Haha. Funny that James had 5 go's at it and none of them were right. And it's only 4 letters with the first one a given :D

I don't think this is by accident. Damn, I could be setting myself up here.

boydogs
06-08-2010, 12:21 AM
I don't think this is by accident. Damn, I could be setting myself up here.

Definitely a deliberate he who shall not be named approach taken

KT31
06-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Could be one for each personality.
He who should remain nameless, now seems to be a bit of a Sybil.:D

soupman
08-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Just on the issue of couble standards regarding the Aker issue, according to the Herald Sun's back page of their sport section the club wasn't rapt with Gia's comments either.

The Coon Dog
08-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Just on the issue of couble standards regarding the Aker issue, according to the Herald Sun's back page of their sport section the club wasn't rapt with Gia's comments either.

You meant Hutchy's column? :rolleyes: (that's not meant for your soupaman, meant for Hutchy).

soupman
08-08-2010, 05:10 PM
You meant Hutchy's column? :rolleyes: (that's not meant for your soupaman, meant for Hutchy).

Yeah. I didn't think much of it, but thought it relevant to this threads topic matter.

Ovatheboarder
08-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Just got around to watching Gia on One week at a time and gee he spoke well, confident and forthright, a credit to himself and his footy club.

Topdog
08-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah. I didn't think much of it, but thought it relevant to this threads topic matter.

It's not relevant because Hutchy is just making it up as he goes along.

angelopetraglia
08-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Was thinking of what Gia said while I was watching the game.

Gia is definitley harder at the contest than ever before. He did indeed put his head over the footy in some crucial contests and some of his tackling and pressure was first rate.

Johnson on the other hand has definitely improved in the last couple of years in sharing the ball in front of goal, but tonight more than once tried to win it from his own boot when he should have chose a better option.

mighty_west
08-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Johnson on the other hand has definitely improved in the last couple of years in sharing the ball in front of goal, but tonight more than once tried to win it from his own boot when he should have chose a better option.

I thought that exact same thing after Gia mentioned it on OWAAT, and Johnno had a shot from near the boundary, with players clear closer to goal.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I thought that exact same thing after Gia mentioned it on OWAAT, and Johnno had a shot from near the boundary, with players clear closer to goal.

Ironically it was Gia who was free running into the square.