PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Higgins

Dancin' Douggy
02-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Heard people recently talking about Higgins and his lack of accountability as a forward.
So I decided to watch his game closely this weekend.

There was one passage of play that clearly stood out to me.
Can't recall the name of the North player, or even the quarter (I was watching in the public bar in Daylesford so things got a little hazy)

A North Melbourne player took off with the ball from about 10 metres inside our forward 50.
Higgins was chasing him but was easily burnt off. He looked slow and almost like he wasn't trying hard or had just given up the chase.

The player ran, covered good ground and handballed off, then recieved the ball back, baulked a couple of players and was about to kick into the North forward 50 but was tackled by............... Shaun Higgins!

Who had just slowly, but methodically, stuck to the chase and run him down.

Anyone else notice that?

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 10:29 PM
I think Higgins lacks that initial burst of speed which most AFL players have these days, over a space of 5-15m he really struggles.

I think he gets out of danger a fair bit because of his clean skills & evasiveness around a congested area, it's not surprising that he was able to run a player down over a certain distance, because i feel he picks up pace with every stride.

EasternWest
02-08-2010, 10:32 PM
I've been critical of Higgins. Doesn't deliver enough on his massive ability, but I thought he was much improved against the Roos. Hope it continues.

Scorlibo
02-08-2010, 11:00 PM
He backs himself in the one-on-one situation to the point where if he doesn't win the ball he is in a very bad position to do anything defensively. Also seems to go to ground when he doesn't need to, it is frustrating because he is really quite strong through the hips. When he just lets his knees buckle and looks for the free kick it really annoys me, it's taking the easy way out of a contest and given his capabilities he doesn't need to do that.

re: His speed off the mark, it's true, it's not flash, but due to how smoothly he runs, he gets much more ground time to balance himself, and so when tackled usually (or at least up until this year) was able to find his way out of it.

bold-dogg
02-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Noticed the handball to kick ratio of both Higgins and Cooney against North Melbourne.
North's pressure, or a new game plan?

stefoid
03-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Hes got groin issues dosent he? he is probably only running at 80% and not kicking as long as he could. Its just something he is going to have to manage through to the end of the year like Cooney has.

Why do all our mids have @#$@ groin issues, what is going on down there with the fitness staff?

LostDoggy
03-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Hes got groin issues dosent he? he is probably only running at 80% and not kicking as long as he could. Its just something he is going to have to manage through to the end of the year like Cooney has.

Why do all our mids have @#$@ groin issues, what is going on down there with the fitness staff?

It's not the fitness staff. Etihad Stadium was like a carpark early doors until Collingwood were due to play there then it was like quick sand. It could also be our new Sandbox.

ratsmac
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Heard people recently talking about Higgins and his lack of accountability as a forward.
So I decided to watch his game closely this weekend.

There was one passage of play that clearly stood out to me.
Can't recall the name of the North player, or even the quarter (I was watching in the public bar in Daylesford so things got a little hazy)

A North Melbourne player took off with the ball from about 10 metres inside our forward 50.
Higgins was chasing him but was easily burnt off. He looked slow and almost like he wasn't trying hard or had just given up the chase.

The player ran, covered good ground and handballed off, then recieved the ball back, baulked a couple of players and was about to kick into the North forward 50 but was tackled by............... Shaun Higgins!

Who had just slowly, but methodically, stuck to the chase and run him down.

Anyone else notice that?
Yes I did see that chase and thought he was quite lucky. I think that the North player had tried to run around someone when because Higgins didn't give up his lazy looking chase that he got him. The good thing is that he didn't give up, but he certainly didn't look like he was running at his full speed.

I dunno, Higgins this year is has been coasting for mine. His blaze away kicks going forward that go straight to the opposition has been disappointing. He is still definately in our best 22 but I wouldn't mind him having a run at Willi to find some touch and maybe as a bit of an eye opener for him. He can look arrogant at times. We need him at full strength come finals. He has been unlucky with injuries this year (and every other year) so we can show him a bit of slack I suppose. Love him but very frustrating this year.

Pedro Sanchez
03-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Word is he's groins are stuffed so he's playing at half pace... Until he gets fit - which probably wont be until he gets an extended period of rest - its not worth judging his pace off the mark until then...

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I have been critical of Higgins and personally think that he is highly overrated. He is too delicate - constantly injured and doesnt get to use his skills anywhere near like he should, due to his lack of courage and willingness to do the hard yards.

I would suggest that he is one who we should put up as trade bait - as he will no doubt get quite a bit of attention and hopefully a good deal for us.

Does anyone else agree?

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 11:13 PM
I have been critical of Higgins and personally think that he is highly overrated. He is too delicate - constantly injured and doesnt get to use his skills anywhere near like he should, due to his lack of courage and willingness to do the hard yards.

I would suggest that he is one who we should put up as trade bait - as he will no doubt get quite a bit of attention and hopefully a good deal for us.

Does anyone else agree?

Perhaps a trade to the Gold Coast for a six pack of XXXX cans

craigsahibee
15-08-2010, 11:16 PM

'Bout all we could ask for at the moment.

bornadog
15-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Higgins is highly rated by the club. He has had a poor year but that has been due to injury. I think people are being too harsh on him.

Raw Toast
15-08-2010, 11:48 PM

Does anyone else agree?

This is crazy talk imo. Sure Higgins has been frustrating but he's still very young and has the potential to be one of the very best players in the comp. The club and him have just to get his body right, and he needs to work on the defensive aspects of his game along with a couple of other things.

No offense intended, but I think we need to think pretty carefully re who we put up for trading.

Desipura
16-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Higgins is highly rated by the club. He has had a poor year but that has been due to injury. I think people are being too harsh on him.
This ^^^^^^^ Talk about kicking him whilst he is down.

chef
16-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Exactly. He should be told his years over and get the operation or rest that he needs to get his body right before preseason starts, 2011 should be his focus now. I'm also wondering if the same thing should be done with Ward.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Exactly. He should be told his years over and get the operation or rest that he needs to get his body right before preseason starts, 2011 should be his focus now. I'm also wondering if the same thing should be done with Ward.

I agree. He does not earn his place in the side whilst injured to the extent he is.

Right now he is far to slow and a liability. This is not a criticism of him personally but the medicos etc who continue to play him whilst unfit.

Ward is well below his best and is also suffering badly from an injury interrupted season. He probably needs more work into his body to increase his fitness level. Whether this should happen with the Bulldogs or Willi is the question.

stefoid
16-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Ward had 13 possies last night, 11 of which were contested - was he hard tagging someone? Because the fact that he had only two uncontested possessions means he wasnt offering his teammates any run and support.

Higgins is obviously labouring, so thats two mids who for whatever reasons, werent giving us much. Eagelton, Moles and Picken for various reasons are also B graders at this stage.

Our midfield was destroyed by the Cats. We will get over the flu in time for the finals, but I cant see the Higgins/Ward situation resolving itself this year.

Who can we replace Ward and Higgins with if they arent fit to play? I think we have to look at robbing Peter and playing Guido and Harbrow in the middle for large chunks of the game. Harbrow being injured is just another PITA.

Raw Toast
16-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Ward had 13 possies last night, 11 of which were contested - was he hard tagging someone? Because the fact that he had only two uncontested possessions means he wasnt offering his teammates any run and support.

Higgins is obviously labouring, so thats two mids who for whatever reasons, werent giving us much. Eagelton, Moles and Picken for various reasons are also B graders at this stage.

Our midfield was destroyed by the Cats. We will get over the flu in time for the finals, but I cant see the Higgins/Ward situation resolving itself this year.

Ward's run and carry will improve with match-fitness - whether he needs to play for us or Willi to get that is the question, but his 11 contested possessions is a strong reason to keep him up, as is the greater intensity of AFL games, particularly the last two and the next one/two (and of course then the finals).

The other big issue with Ward atm is his kicking. He needs to be able to adjust to his current limitations and play within them rather than trying for the long game-breaking kicks that he is used to being able to execute. He's obviously lost a fair bit of confidence in his kicking as well - he needs to build up his precision and confidence with his shorter kicks (up to 40m), and then work on the longer stuff.

Higgins is now injured so must be in doubt for the rest of the season. Maybe we can slot him in late as a forward pocket (with the hope/risk that he provides enough goals to outweigh his current defensive deficiencies).

stefoid
16-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Trouble is, what use is a slow small forward? I should say - another - slow small forward if you count Johno who is also labouring.

Mofra
16-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Trouble is, what use is a slow small forward? I should say - another - slow small forward if you count Johno who is also labouring.
... which begs the question, can Hahn & Higgins (in his current state) play in the same forwardline?

For a team that struggles with pressure in the F50, it would be a big call to say yes.

Mantis
16-08-2010, 12:40 PM
... which begs the question, can Hahn & Higgins (in his current state) play in the same forwardline?

For a team that struggles with pressure in the F50, it would be a big call to say yes.

No you can't especially with the Johnson call.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Not sure why we've persisted with Higgins for so long. He hasn't looked 'right' all year and was struggling to get involved against the poor sides. He's one of my favourite players, but he's a massive liability and his year should be over.

Ward has another couple of weeks to convince but he looks just as bad. Never been quick, but he's slower both by foot and mind. His disposal is dreadful too - the one he kicked out on the full surely shows he's still being hampered by a groin injury. Has he had a game where he's picked up more than 15 disposals this year?

It's a massive blow for us. To win the Premiership, we need Higgins and Ward at their best. Sadly they're a shell of their former selves. Ward had such an impressive finals series last year, which is no doubt why they keep trying to get him right in time.

DOG GOD
16-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Not sure why we've persisted with Higgins for so long. He hasn't looked 'right' all year and was struggling to get involved against the poor sides. He's one of my favourite players, but he's a massive liability and his year should be over.

Ward has another couple of weeks to convince but he looks just as bad. Never been quick, but he's slower both by foot and mind. His disposal is dreadful too - the one he kicked out on the full surely shows he's still being hampered by a groin injury. Has he had a game where he's picked up more than 15 disposals this year?

It's a massive blow for us. To win the Premiership, we need Higgins and Ward at their best. Sadly they're a shell of their former selves. Ward had such an impressive finals series last year, which is no doubt why they keep trying to get him right in time.

Totally agree with this TBB. There is NO WAY we can be competitive against the top sides with guys like Higgo and Ward in the team playing injured. A blind man can see both are nowhere near 100 %, and it gives me the impression that Eade is willing to play them coz he wants the BEST 22 out there no matter what. That doesnt work, especially in finals. We need 22 guys out there at 100% fitness level. I just want eade and the MC to reward players who are given a job and do it, sacrificing their own game at times, and until that starts we will be thereabouts for a long time to come.

Sockeye Salmon
16-08-2010, 06:19 PM
The biggest problem I see is that the cupboard is bare at Willi.

You can tell the desperation by the number of people wanting to rush Hahn back in because Higgins, Ward and Johnson are too slow. Can we take a moment to recall how slow Mitch looked before he got injured? Why do people think that he has magically turned into Harbrow just because he's been out of the team? Are our memories really that bad?

We have about 23 players up to finals footy and at least 2-3 of them will not be available. An unfit Higgins might still be better than the alternatives.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 07:57 PM
This is crazy talk imo. Sure Higgins has been frustrating but he's still very young and has the potential to be one of the very best players in the comp. The club and him have just to get his body right, and he needs to work on the defensive aspects of his game along with a couple of other things.

No offense intended, but I think we need to think pretty carefully re who we put up for trading.

No offense taken - it all about differing opinions. I have been watching Higgins labour for far too long and i havent seen anything to show me that he will be a future leader of our club.
All i was suggesting is that if someone comes in with a good offer, i dont think he should be seen as being untouchable - that tag of him being the future of the club is just that, a tag (and not a well earnt one!).

Mantis
16-08-2010, 08:39 PM
No offense taken - it all about differing opinions. I have been watching Higgins labour for far too long and i havent seen anything to show me that he will be a future leader of our club.
All i was suggesting is that if someone comes in with a good offer, i dont think he should be seen as being untouchable - that tag of him being the future of the club is just that, a tag (and not a well earnt one!).

Teddy,

Do you have any idea of the problems that Shaun has had to face with regard to getting his body right this year?

FrediKanoute
16-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Teddy,

Do you have any idea of the problems that Shaun has had to face with regard to getting his body right this year?

Spot on Mantis. Its ok to say he's had a horrible year, but suggesting that he has no leadership potential or should be traded is laughable. he is a gun player of the highest quality. Should he be on the park atm....probably not. Question is though who do you pleace him with.....Hill.....Hahn......Tiller......that the cupboard is bare is a testament to how good the kid is!

Hotdog60
16-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Didn't Higgins do a groin late last year, was told it's something he'll have to manage.

I think it would have been better for the club plus Higgo to go under the knife and get what ever is wrong fixed even if it ment losing a season so we can have him at his best.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Out in straight sets if we make the finals with slow players in our forward line, unless we can dominate the play through the centre.

Hahn has played one good game for the year. Unless there has been a remarkable change, he will again provide a slow forward option, upon which the opposition can plan their attack. Higgins just should not be playing. He runs around a lot without actually influencing enough contests and allows the opposition players to get away from him. Johnno is different...he presents often which helps the structure of our forward line. But he turns the ball over with dinky passes and goes to ground a bit, hence losing the contest. It's probably a huge risk (and too late), but I think we might just have to roll the dice and hope Hill has learnt how to play intelligent, close checking football.

Jasper
16-08-2010, 10:17 PM
but I think we might just have to roll the dice and hope Hill has learnt how to play intelligent, close checking football.

I'm getting to this point as well. Just for a look here is an example of our best forward line with players at their peak at the start of the year

FF Johnson Hall Higgins
HF Gia Murphy Akermanis
Hahn (on the bench) and maybe a resting ruckman subbing for Hall.

Now its a different picture with Aker gone, Higgins injured, Hahn too slow/injured, Murphy going back, Johnno struggling (although he was playing ok until last game), and the game itself really picking up speed, its really hard to pick a forward line...

FF Grant Hall Johnno
HF Gia Jones Hill

Possibly Addison on bench as defensive forward (rotating with Gia) and mid support, or we rely on guys like Griffen, Murphy, Harbrow, rotating forward to fill a sport...

I can almost convince myself that there is a need for Hill whose tackling isn't bad, and marking and finishing is good...its just his contested ground ball work is non-existent, and he can't play in defense.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Out in straight sets if we make the finals with slow players in our forward line, unless we can dominate the play through the centre.

Hahn has played one good game for the year. Unless there has been a remarkable change, he will again provide a slow forward option, upon which the opposition can plan their attack. Higgins just should not be playing. He runs around a lot without actually influencing enough contests and allows the opposition players to get away from him. Johnno is different...he presents often which helps the structure of our forward line. But he turns the ball over with dinky passes and goes to ground a bit, hence losing the contest. It's probably a huge risk (and too late), but I think we might just have to roll the dice and hope Hill has learnt how to play intelligent, close checking football.

Right. We have had very little return on investment from Higgins this season. Hard to make a hard call when you know someone has so many skills under the bonnet. Frustrating to watch him play at times.

choconmientay
19-08-2010, 12:01 PM
This (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/illness-could-end-shaun-higgins-season/story-e6frf9jf-1225907039645) explained why our young gun was not right through the whole season. Hopefully he can recover quickly from the illness and back to his best form.

Mofra
19-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Possibly Addison on bench as defensive forward (rotating with Gia) and mid support, or we rely on guys like Griffen, Murphy, Harbrow, rotating forward to fill a sport...
DFA is the forgotten man. The kind of player who is more useful in a grinding final (a la Saints last year) than a H&A match under the roof at Etihad.

On a small ground is week with presumably more stoppages, do we promote him so he gets some AFL touch before finals? He may be needed.

DOG GOD
19-08-2010, 02:07 PM
DFA is the forgotten man. The kind of player who is more useful in a grinding final (a la Saints last year) than a H&A match under the roof at Etihad.

On a small ground is week with presumably more stoppages, do we promote him so he gets some AFL touch before finals? He may be needed.

I think he has been forgotten about due to the emergance of Wood, but he would certainly be able to play a role as a lock down player or defensive fwd, although i'd say Picken is a better option fwd.

Scraggers
19-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Quite a few people on this thread calling for Higgins to be traded ... What's your opinion now the you know what he has been dealing with all year?

(I hope your sentence starts with "I was wrong ...") :rolleyes:

Remi Moses
19-08-2010, 05:42 PM
One for the Big Footy board. Get well Shaun,this explains him looking like his going at half rat power! Same idiots who won't Higgins traded said Grant was a wasted pick!!!!:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Teddy,

I dont - but when has he had his body right? I think he is very overated and have not seen his leadership potential, that so many people speak of. Maybe i am being too harsh on him, as he oozes class and has all the skills that a top shelf player needs.

Is he too delicate?
Does he have the heart to make it as a leader of the team?

Just for the record - i really hope that Shaun gets better as quickly as possible and i was shocked to hear of the problems he is having with his thyroid. But again - i have not formed my opinion over the last 6 weeks, it has been formed from watching him since he started. There is no doubt that he is an incredibly talented footballer, but i have never seen him really get stuck in, set an example or lead the team out of a difficult situation.

EasternWest
20-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Quite a few people on this thread calling for Higgins to be traded ... What's your opinion now the you know what he has been dealing with all year?

(I hope your sentence starts with "I was wrong ...") :rolleyes:

Really? I don't remember seeing too much of this?

I've been critical of Higgins, but I've also stated that I thought something was wrong with him.

Trade? No way.

Scraggers
20-08-2010, 02:37 AM

Does anyone else agree?

'Bout all we could ask for at the moment.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really? I don't remember seeing too much of this?

I've been critical of Higgins, but I've also stated that I thought something was wrong with him.

Trade? No way.

Wasn't a shot at you dfa4pm ...

EasternWest
21-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Wasn't a shot at you dfa4pm ...

Thanks Scraggers. Didn't say it was a shot, I just didn't remember people asking for a trade.

Weird. I would have thought his class stands out like a beacon. As too does the fact there is something wrong with him.

So, let's hope he gets right and really shows what he can do.

ratsmac
21-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I have been critical of Higgins too this year due to his lack of pace (which he has never had but this year looked even slower) and poor disposal. Fatigue is a major part of poor disposal, so with his condition should he have even been picked by the MC. With the way footy is played these days with the high interchanges, it doesn't make sense to pick players who are nowhere near 100% fittness. It costs the team. You can not carry players this day and age. I'm sorry for potting Higgins now knowing his situation with his medical condition, but I'm not sorry for potting him when he and the fittness staff declare him fit to play AFL footy. If you play under done, well....

GET WELL SOON HIGGO.

angelopetraglia
25-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Any update on his situation?

Will he play again this year?

bornadog
25-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Any update on his situation?

Will he play again this year?

On the club website Shaun is listed twice as follows:

Shaun Higgins - Illness - TBA

Shaun Higgins - Calf - 2-3 Weeks

I don't believe the second entry is correct.

Curly5
25-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I'd be happy if he didn't play again this season. He's not going to miraculously regain top form and health in a couple of weeks. Ideally he should get fit and strong over the preseason and be ready to play great footy next year.

Desipura
25-08-2010, 01:09 PM
My bro just went to training and said there were a fair few people around the club. Higgins trained and Wood expects to be back next week (was doing some one on one work)

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 08:01 PM
My bro just went to training and said there were a fair few people around the club. Higgins trained and Wood expects to be back next week (was doing some one on one work)

Good to hear, Wood will help the cause and even a struggling Higgo would be better than some of the other options but wouldnt do it if it means compounding his injury/illness/curse of the dog.

G-Mo77
26-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Good to hear, Wood will help the cause and even a struggling Higgo would be better than some of the other options but wouldnt do it if it means compounding his injury/illness/curse of the dog.

Honestly I'd rather rest him and go with the other options on Saturday night it's a pretty meaningless game after all.

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Honestly I'd rather rest him and go with the other options on Saturday night it's a pretty meaningless game after all.

Completely agree, I was more intending for finals matches. But now I hear he is playing on the weekend for Willi????