PDA

View Full Version : International Ben Hudson's Beard Appreciation Day - Beards for Babies - Round 22

firstdogonthemoon
03-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Dearest Beardistas,

It's on. International Ben Hudson's Beard Appreciation Day will take place Saturday the 28th, Rd 22, a home game vs Essendon. It is a night game.

So welcome to Beards for Babies!

We have four weeks to get organised for this remarkable event, which will enable us to truly celebrate the magnificence of The People's Beard.

The event will be as simple or as complex as we like.

Please use this thread for all IBHBAD - BFB talk.

Basically the plan is that we will ask all beard enthusiasts to purchase An Official Beard, the proceeds of which will go to something called Tweddle. Tweddle is an early parenting centre located in Footscray, right near the Western Oval who assist parents with young children who need support. That's why we are calling it Beards for Babies!

I am yet to have an in depth conversation with the club about ANY other aspect of it, however we have in principle support so lets go.

Some of the things we probably need to do:

Get the actual beards
Arrange to sell the actual beards (paypal? at the game?)
Alert the media
Arrange for one night of the footy show to have the entire crowd wearing beards
Have a photo of Susan Albert in a beard, with Huddo on the back page of the Sun or the Age or both.
Team photo with the beard.
Have the entire Cheer Squad wearing beards (any cheer squadders on here?)
Have a beard off! A beard competition. (Ben Hudson not permitted to enter)
Ask Robert Murphy to be the Official Patron of Beards for Babies
Talk to the Pie Man who is sourcing our beards at the moment. Pie Man?

We are open to ideas and suggestions and most importantly offers of assistance when we figure out what we want to actually do.

There are two main things we want to achieve:

1. Everyone wears a beard (purchased, home-made or real) to the Round 22 game. And this is how we celebrate the hirsute magnificence of The People's Beard
2. Any and all proceeds from Official Beard Sales go to Tweddle

Also, we have secondary aims which are,

3. We all pat ourselves on the back for being so clever
4. Raise beard awareness, particularly for those in our community who unfortunate in that they are not able to have their own beard (Women, Children, Gia)
5. Get people wearing fake beards on Telly!
6. Hang out at the footy drinking beer and wearing a fake beard! Hilarious!

Most importantly, we must not impeded the real task which is helping The Actual Beard, Ben Hudson and the rest of the dogs win a flag. This is supposed to be a fun way to raise a bit of money because why not? So, what do you reckon?

Yours In Beardness

Firstdogonthemoon

firstdogonthemoon
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Also, here is our facebook group in case you were interested.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=86900783309&ref=ts

LostDoggy
03-08-2010, 10:52 PM
I sourced some beards for Rd 3 at a couple of weeks notice. Got them at a mark-upable price re fundraising aspect. Not the best looking things but got a great laugh out of them.

The Adelaide Connection
03-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Great idea First Dog! I would love to see the recognition of the great beard go global.

That said I think all correspondence from here on in should use this:

"The Beard Alphabet"

http://72dpi.cn/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/beard_alphabet.jpg

Scraggers
03-08-2010, 11:42 PM
It's a week after the election but what about a picture of our P.M. Julia in the beard ... That's national coverage

Twodogs
04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Keep the ideas coming guys. Even if it sounds like a silly to you put it up anyway-FDOTM has a silly brain.

We cant have enough ideas.

LostDoggy
04-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Great idea FirstDog - whilst I don't really love facial hair, I'm happy to embrace this cause and wear a beard:D

firstdogonthemoon
04-08-2010, 01:07 PM
It would be handy to get an idea of how many beards we could sell. We are thinking around $15 or $20. I'd buy one! And one for my dog. Anyone else?

Scraggers
04-08-2010, 01:28 PM
It would be handy to get an idea of how many beards we could sell. We are thinking around $15 or $20. I'd buy one! And one for my dog. Anyone else?

For our interstate beard supporters ... Postage ???

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I need 6 beards please. One of the people I sit with already has a beard but he can double up.

comrade
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Any website designers out there?

I reckon a well designed website, with e-commerce capability would be the easiest way to manage beard orders.

A PayPal donation button could also be included to raise additional funds for the cause.

A nice WOOF logo in the footer should of course be featured.

Twodogs
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Any website designers out there?

I reckon a well designed website, with e-commerce capability would be the easiest way to manage beard orders.

A PayPal donation button could also be included to raise additional funds for the cause.

A nice WOOF logo in the footer should of course be featured.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Expect an announcement about some of this exact stuff on WOOF in the next couple of days. Keep tuned and keep the ideas coming.

The Pie Man
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I would've loved some online inventory management/virtual warehouse gear with the scarves!!

LostDoggy
04-08-2010, 06:46 PM
I am happy to offer my services in terms of web design: I'm a web designer. :)

eCommerce is not my strong suit, but pay by PayPal might be a go…

firstdogonthemoon
05-08-2010, 05:41 PM
News! Just spoke with "Scott" at the club. They are keen and have a few ideas of their own. Over the next couple of days I will put together an ACTION PLAN!

They are looking at assisting with sales of beards and so on so we don't have to touch any actual money, things like that.

This might just be HUGE.

ohmygoodnes...

Twodogs
05-08-2010, 05:47 PM
This might just be HUGE.

I've been telling you for months that this has unlimited potential. But it takes someone from the footy club to tell you the same thing before it sinks through...

:p

LostDoggy
05-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Great news FDOTM! Glad the planning stages are underway.

I suggest getting Before The Game on board maybe with a Fitzy-cross interview/feature of some sort considering the show & game are on the Saturday night.

Twodogs
05-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Great news FDOTM! Glad the planning stages are underway.

I suggest getting Before The Game on board maybe with a Fitzy-cross interview/feature of some sort considering the show & game are on the Saturday night.

Yep great idea. I think that Dave Hughes might be the guy to approach. He lives close to the ground, his partner is a Bulldog supporter and he has young kids so the babie thing will appeal to him. I've got no qualms about approaching celebreties at all and I've met Dave a couple a times. Should I be the one to follow this through?

FlightoftheCallanWards
05-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Will be happy to purchase and wear a beard. I feel honoured that IBHBAD occurs onb my birthday ;)

LostDoggy
05-08-2010, 10:37 PM
the countdown begins! this is gonna be awesome :)

LostDoggy
06-08-2010, 02:52 PM
I'll buy & wear a beard. :D

kyliej
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm in and i reckon half the area i sit in will also be in!!!

Dan
09-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Id buy a beard.

Hope he plays in rd 22 tho, last two years he's been rested in the last round just before the finals.

LostDoggy
09-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Everyone should word up the other fans in their bay this week. Tell them what is happening in R22.

LostDoggy
10-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Everyone should word up the other fans in their bay this week. Tell them what is happening in R22.

Will do!! :D

LostDoggy
10-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Id buy a beard.

Hope he plays in rd 22 tho, last two years he's been rested in the last round just before the finals.

In that case, he can be a part of the crowd ;)

LostDoggy
10-08-2010, 11:23 PM
I'll be there with my (fake!) beard on. Well, once I buy one.

LostDoggy
11-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Have the fake beards been sourced?

Murphy'sLore
11-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Put me down for two -- me and my huzzband. It's his birthday, what better way to celebrate than with fake beards and a night at the footy?

firstdogonthemoon
11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Beard Update - Things are moving a bit slowly at the club because everyone has the plague. However we are expecting to kick things off on Friday.

Beards are being sourced.

craigsahibee
15-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Had a quick chat to Murph this afternoon. He wasn't aware of the day but is happy to be involved. Apparently the club have not spoken too him yet. He asked what he had to do and i said don't grow a beard. He reckons he can do that.

I also spoke to the owner of TPB and he did say there was something happening and was totally behind it. Most importantly he said he will be right for next week.

firstdogonthemoon
19-08-2010, 03:52 PM
An update.

I have been speaking semi-regularly to the club. They are hard to get a hold of and don't return calls. They are obviously busy, and while they have been supportive and interested in the project it is not at the top of their list.

This has meant a lot of waiting for the club to make decisions and take some action and those things haven't happened.

Also, the last few weeks have been busy at the club with things like illness and personalities and then last Friday...

So it looks like it won't happen this year.

It's a bit annoying but what would The Beard do? The Beard would do what The Beard does and nothing more. Exactly my point.

Anyway, we need it to be either completely independent of the club or working closely with the club and we haven't been able to organise either of those things because we needed the club to tell us what they wanted to do. They wanted to be involved and then...

Therefore the plan is to do it next year and do it properly and do it with or without the club. Just to get on with it.

We will start in Feb and plan for round 8 or so and it won't matter so much how the team are playing because it will only be round 8.

Sorry, I am a bit annoyed. I have spent a bit of time on it, but not enough. Also it is not the sort of thing to get annoyed about.

Anyway, we now know what we need to get it off the ground and next year is when that will be.

PM if you want to know anything else.

Yours in Beardness

Firstdog Onthemoon

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Disappointing, but thanks so much for your effort firstdogonthemoon. Looking forward to round 8 or so next year!! :)

Scraggers
19-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Appreciate your work FDOTM and look forward to round 8 (or so) next year

Murphy'sLore
19-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Oh, that's a shame FD, after all your efforts. Still better not to go off half-cocked -- half-bearded -- we all know where that leads -- a goatee, and that's not good..!

Look forward to bearding up some time next year.

Murphy'sLore
19-08-2010, 05:43 PM
PS We just got a bearded dragon too!

Tried to call him Hudson but daughter #1 wouldn't do it.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks for your efforts thus far FirstDog (and others). We can all rally next year and do it properly!

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Does this mean I break out the clippers and Gillettes? No, but I might trim.
Be a few disappointed people in my bay, worded them up last week. Many had committed to 'Bearding' up.
We all appreciate your efforts, FDOTM. Do not be too disheartened, we'll do it right next year.:)

ledge
20-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Oh, that's a shame FD, after all your efforts. Still better not to go off half-cocked -- half-bearded -- we all know where that leads -- a goatee, and that's not good..!

Look forward to bearding up some time next year.

Nothing wrong with a goatee!:mad:

azabob
20-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Ha! Nothing comes good comes from goatees, look at Aka!

Murphy'sLore
21-08-2010, 11:06 AM

No offence, ledge, it was the two-toned half-bearded one I was referring to! :p

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Dammit! and I wanted to Itch & Scratch thru another game. However at least without a beard I'll be able to enjoy my beer a bit more

BulldogBelle
22-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Dammit! and I wanted to Itch & Scratch thru another game. However at least without a beard I'll be able to enjoy my beer a bit more

Bloody oath those fake beards are a dead-set beer killer!

I end up looking like a wet cat.

Raw Toast
23-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all your work FDOTM, still reckon this idea is a goer and look forward to it being the second best moment next season (after the grand final of course ;)).

firstdogonthemoon
29-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Just saw Huddo on The Sunday Footy Show, says he plans to shave off the beard at the end of the year.

The Pie Man
29-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Just saw Huddo on The Sunday Footy Show, says he plans to shave off the beard at the end of the year.

Also heard this - surely Murph won't allow such treachery :eek:

AndrewP6
29-08-2010, 02:30 PM

The International Ben Hudson's Face Appreciation Society? :eek::eek::eek:

The Underdog
29-08-2010, 03:52 PM
The International Ben Hudson's Face Appreciation Society? :eek::eek::eek:

What about the Robert Murphy Wistful Music/Football Metaphor Appreciation Vernacular?
We could have a charity day where everybody comes up with a Rolling Stones lyric to accurately describe how they feel about football at that particular moment.

(Sorry that's one for Age readers)

firstdogonthemoon
29-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Relax, The Beard doesn't need Ben Hudson. But Ben Hudson needs The Beard.

You watch, if he tries to shave it off, it will just grow back.

Flamethrower
29-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Relax, The Beard doesn't need Ben Hudson. But Ben Hudson needs The Beard.

You watch, if he tries to shave it off, it will just grow back.

Like Samson and his hair? :D

comrade
29-08-2010, 04:24 PM
As if The Beard cares about such petty things as "shaving".

PPfftt.

Scraggers
30-10-2010, 03:05 AM
*Bump*

Watching the second game of the World Series (Giants V Rangers) and I saw this :-

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac211/Scraggers/photo.jpg

Excuse the quality of the photo ... I used my phone to take a photo of the beards from my TV

Effective ... I even like the catch phrase "Fear The Beard" ... could be made from Clark Rubber foam (a hell of a lot cheaper than fake beards)

Waddayareckon ??

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 12:22 PM
LOVE IT!!!! They are certainly on board with his beard. :D

Murphy'sLore
30-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Foam's probably less scratchy too:)

Daughter of the West
30-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Could you make a stubby holder out of the bottom of the beard (if it were made of foam)? Potentially functional AND good looking too!

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Ha! They look pretty good, but does anyone know if Ben has shaved the beard off, as he said he planned to do?

LostDoggy
31-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Ha! They look pretty good, but does anyone know if Ben has shaved the beard off, as he said he planned to do?

Speaking with Robert Murphy at the Pound early in the week and he said Huddo had shaved off The Beard at the end of the season. However, The Beard petulently turned up again in a shorter, sleeker number a week or so later. All is good!! Chin is hairy!!

LostDoggy
31-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Speaking with Robert Murphy at the Pound early in the week and he said Huddo had shaved off The Beard at the end of the season. However, The Beard petulently turned up again in a shorter, sleeker number a week or so later. All is good!! Chin is hairy!!

Good news, thanks DaDruid!