PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs Express Interest in Hobart

bornadog
07-08-2010, 12:41 AM
see the last line of this article:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tassie-government-backs-a-full-relocation-to-apple-isle-20100806-11o66.html

Flamethrower
07-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Interesting - games in Hobart would be better than Darwin, Canberra or New Zealand IMHO.
It still surprises me how little AFL football is played in Tasmania - they are football mad down there.

Desipura
07-08-2010, 07:12 AM
I thought Smorgon stated after 2011, we aim to play all our home games in Melbourne?

GVGjr
07-08-2010, 07:27 AM
I thought Smorgon stated after 2011, we aim to play all our home games in Melbourne?

I remember that as well but I've come to accept that it's just all part of of the spin that a financial struggling club must do.

I just wish that the club didn't keep dressing it up along the lines of it being an "exciting deal that will help us grow our club". We have been through this routine so many times and haven't gone close to making one of them stick. I have lost faith that any of these ventures will amount to anything more than a short term money grab.

chef
07-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Interesting - games in Hobart would be better than Darwin, Canberra or New Zealand IMHO. It still surprises me how little AFL football is played in Tasmania - they are football mad down there.

I agree, if we could end up with a package like Hawthorn's got I think the club should grab it. It would be a great place to play our home games against the likes of GC, GWS, Port etc.

bornadog
07-08-2010, 09:24 AM
I have lost faith that any of these ventures will amount to anything more than a short term money grab.

With a debt still at somewhere around $5 million, unfortunately we have to go for the money.

I would love to have 11 home games in Melbourne, but then again, it doesn't make that much difference as we play Eithad at least 13/14 times each year and the MCG a couple of times. Its not like the old days where we played 11 at Whitten Oval and 11 at other suburban grounds.

GVGjr
07-08-2010, 09:57 AM
With a debt still at somewhere around $5 million, unfortunately we have to go for the money.

I would love to have 11 home games in Melbourne, but then again, it doesn't make that much difference as we play Eithad at least 13/14 times each year and the MCG a couple of times. Its not like the old days where we played 11 at Whitten Oval and 11 at other suburban grounds.

And that's OK as long as we don't get the normal spiel that it's going to be a long term boost for the club's membership when it won't be.

If we measured the administrations performance just based on how we are told that these ventures to the Sunshine Coast, Sydney, Darwin and Canberra would be a decent boost to memberships then they wouldn't rate to highly. Given the club is sitting on a large debt, seeking financial windfall opportunities in NZ and/or Hobart is probably the responsible thing to do but the majority of supporters can handle being told that we just need the money.

I understand why the club talks up these ventures but the track record on making them work isn't great.

LostDoggy
09-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I'd be happy for us to play some games in Hobart - another reason to visit the beautiful state that is Tasmania. :)

DOG GOD
09-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I would be over the moon as i live in tassie (I'm a launnie guy though), but it sure would be alot cheaper to just drive 2 hrs to hobart to see the boys play then worry about airfares, transport and accommodation :)

Bring it on!!!!